• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I remember reading that he had scripts for Skull Kid and Dracula within directs but wasn’t sure if they were characters or not. I guess I really don’t know who to believe anymore in that department.

I guess this goes back to my point of no one’s 100% sure what’s going on anymore. So I’m gonna be like LaxChris and take it with a grain of salt™

Please kill me
No, Loz18 was 100% fake. In fact, he was in my discord server for a few weeks. it was the place where he inevitably left the Smash community. Well, not really my server, I just moderate it.

He made a lot of really dumb "leaks" about the September direct and got several things blatantly wrong. It turned out what my source said was true, Loz18 was nothing more than an E3 showfloorsman who got to see the game's banner and the e3 trailer, as the people who set up E3 got to see that a day early. I could write a book about the stuff he "leaked" in August and September lol. Then, once he left and deleted his twitter, he came back trying to say we "tricked him" into saying wrong info, somehow. He was a fraud.

Really, and I'll say this with absolute certainty, the only people who leak publically who I feel you should trust are me, xenother xenother , Hitagi, and Verge. None of us lie. While I personally haven't heard Steve and aren't as certain about Erdrick (though I think he's the most likely), I personally know that they are good people and not trolls/liars in the slightest. They are nice people. In regards to Verge, while he has leaked some other games wrong, his Smash sources have proven to be strong. And I have my own personal reasons for trusting Hitagi quite a lot. We may not hear all the same things, but I can tell you that those people are not trying to mess with anybody.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Just to let you know, I really appreciate this post; thank you.
Okay, I'm back awake. I think I have my faculties back to normal. Am currently not wearing pants. Very tired. But anytime man on ice.

Hopefully your ride goes smooth to your family's! I'm about to make about...4 hours worth of trips here starting soon. Thankfully, I'm not fit to drive and won't be driving but playing my Switch in the car.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
No, Loz18 was 100% fake. In fact, he was in my discord server for a few weeks. it was the place where he inevitably left the Smash community. Well, not really my server, I just moderate it.

He made a lot of really dumb "leaks" about the September direct and got several things blatantly wrong. It turned out what my source said was true, Loz18 was nothing more than an E3 showfloorsman who got to see the game's banner and the e3 trailer, as the people who set up E3 got to see that a day early. I could write a book about the stuff he "leaked" in August and September lol. Then, once he left and deleted his twitter, he came back trying to say we "tricked him" into saying wrong info, somehow. He was a fraud.

Really, and I'll say this with absolute certainty, the only people who leak publically who I feel you should trust are me, xenother xenother , Hitagi, and Verge. None of us lie. While I personally haven't heard Steve and aren't as certain about Erdrick (though I think he's the most likely), I personally know that they are good people and not trolls/liars in the slightest. They are nice people. In regards to Verge, while he has leaked some other games wrong, his Smash sources have proven to be strong. And I have my own personal reasons for trusting Hitagi quite a lot. We may not hear all the same things, but I can tell you that those people are not trying to mess with anybody.
Honestly, you and Verge are the only ones that I feel I can trust to an extent no offense to the other two, I’m sure they’re fine people, just uncertain about them is all.

But thanks for clearing up the Loz 18 stuff. That’s been bugging me for quite a while.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Plot twist: what if by DQ rep all this time it wasn't a Dragon Quest character, but Diary Queen representation in smash. A DLC featuring new Smash items including the classic Dairy Queen Blizzard, shakes & chocolate cakes. Specially sponsored by Dairy Queen™.

As long as those annoying , floating lips don't return, I'm game. Maybe it will be Dennis the Menace! (US version)

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Plot twist: what if by DQ rep all this time it wasn't a Dragon Quest character, but Diary Queen representation in smash. A DLC featuring new Smash items including the classic Dairy Queen Blizzard, shakes & chocolate cakes. Specially sponsored by Dairy Queen™.

Holy crap, I went to Dairy Queen a week ago and saw their acronym and thought to myself, "NO, MY FAVORITE ICE CREAM WILL NOT MAKE ME REMIND MYSELF ABOUT DRAGON QUEST!" But I would actually love to see Dairy Queen have Smash-sponsored stuff on their cups, similar like what they do when they sponsor or advertise movies on their cups. I'd keep my cup forever if they had the Smash Ultimate banner on my Dairy Queen cups.
Okay, new version:

View attachment 183979

Basically the same except with the High-Quality banner (had to resize the banner so it'd look like this again but at least the detail is noticeable I guess)
Whoa, this is very neat. I've seen this render before, but it looks a lot different! I like Geno's remastered design in this, having a more blue color like his official artwork and he looks a lot more serious. I liked Geno in light blue on the SNES, but I think he DEFINITELY looks better in regular blue. I'm happy his Mii costume got the same blue color as his old render or artwork from the SMRPG manual. If he does get in, I hope one of his alternative colors/costumes include a light blue color like his colors from in game on SMRPG. Since King K. Rool's and Isabelle's designs seemed to derive from their Mii costume, Geno may get the same treatment and have a regular blue color as his main colors, while the light blue one is an alternative color/costume.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Whoa, this is very neat. I've seen this render before, but it looks a lot different! I like Geno's remastered design in this, having a more blue color like his official artwork and he looks a lot more serious. I liked Geno in light blue on the SNES, but I think he DEFINITELY looks better in regular blue. I'm happy his Mii costume got the same blue color as his old render or artwork from the SMRPG manual. If he does get in, I hope one of his alternative colors/costumes include a light blue color like his colors from in game on SMRPG. Since King K. Rool's and Isabelle's designs seemed to derive from their Mii costume, Geno may get the same treatment and have a regular blue color as his main colors, while the light blue one is an alternative color/costume.
The credit for the render goes to Smashified; Slender and another user (I'm sorry I forgot their username...) touched it up earlier in this thread, giving it the darker blue and other edits.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird

I'd be down tbh. Imagine having Blizzards in the game that cause, well, blizzards, but at the same time heal like a food item.

D

Deleted member

I have been thinking about something. I don't think the "this character will make more money" argument is strong. All characters cost the same amount of money, and it's the Smash fanbase. They buy anything. Corrin is good proof of this. People didn't like his inclusion, but they still bought him. Geno would be no different. People just assume he wouldn't sell well because he is an old character, which is incredibly stupid. People will buy him. Which leads me to my next point:

What if Nintendo and Square Enix are satisfied with the money he makes, so they put him in more games? Mario Kart, sports, and party are no-brainers for Geno and Mallow. What if they joined more SE game like FF? He has an insane design and concept, and he is likely to appeal to children. It could lead more Nintendo fans to play SE games! I have never played an FF game, but I definitely will if Geno joins one.

Just some thoughts about implementing Geno into different games

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I have been thinking about something. I don't think the "this character will make more money" argument is strong. All characters cost the same amount of money, and it's the Smash fanbase. They buy anything. Corrin is good proof of this. People didn't like his inclusion, but they still bought him. Geno would be no different. People just assume he wouldn't sell well because he is an old character, which is incredibly stupid. People will buy him. Which leads me to my next point:

What if Nintendo and Square Enix are satisfied with the money he makes, so they put him in more games? Mario Kart, sports, and party are no-brainers for Geno and Mallow. What if they joined more SE game like FF? He has an insane design and concept, and he is likely to appeal to children. It could lead more Nintendo fans to play SE games! I have never played an FF game, but I definitely will if Geno joins one.

Couldn't agree with you more there. I think people do just assume Geno would sell poorly because he's old and "muh irrelevant", when in reality, he'd probably sell better than any potential SE rep bar Sora and maybe Slime (and wouldn't cost nearly as much to license out as those guys, at that). People seriously underestimate Geno's presence among the casual fandom.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Best ice cream in the world

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

I can only judge from what they've said online; But none of those people seem very nice to me.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
So, based on the way the conversation is going, would you all like if I limit what I say about what I know? Sounds like it stresses people out more than people enjoy it. How about this; I'll just say stuff if people ask, how's that?
Nah, I don't think you should say nothing. I think some things should maybe not be said until you can verify them a little more and explain why the conclusions you're making are being made. Like the news about Dragon Quest having support wayyy back is a very interesting point that potentially has a ton of implications, so only knowing that some amorphous evidence points toward it is a little frustrating and lets people jump to conclusions all over the place.

Though, I do understand you're lower on the totem pole and just sort of "at the table" by your admission, so I do understand you either having the least amount of authorization or knowledge on these subjects. Nothing wrong with that, but lest we have another scenario like the two frontrunners thing that gets blown out, maybe share the more authorized information that looks good? Or if there is a really major development like this, mention whatever tiny piece of info that helps validate the "evidence." Even the smallest stuff will go a very long way in making your claims feel more real and like we're actually in the know.

From a personal standpoint, I never liked Verge's approach because he never really gave much in the way of evidence. I think the community could stand to be a little less willing to accept information without something to back it up. That something doesn't need to be big or a blowout, but a small nugget of authentication that gives us a reason to believe without compromising the source of the information. And if that's an issue, maybe that information is better off just not being revealed for the source's sake?

Stupid theory, but what if this DQ rep if real got mixed up with Lloyd/Yuri? I truly don't see two swordfighters coming in this pack since they're supposed to be unexpected when Swordfighters are a huge Smash meme.

I dunno guess I won't be convinced till it happens.
I think it works if you have Dragon Quest and Lloyd as the two swordsmen in question. I mean, first of all, the swordsmen issue is way too overblown and really shouldn't be something Nintendo considers when there are great choices all around. Dragon Quest always seemed like a pick outside of immediate fan demand given lots of other factors. Which would especially be helped by the information Fatmanonice is giving in the event that DQ has been considered for a while. And Lloyd is still one of the most requested characters with a following that originated in Brawl and recently has proven to still be viable given his placement on such things as the Reddit poles. The number of people complaining about Lloyd would absolutely be dwarfed by those happy for his inclusion.

It's less that their specifically two swordsmen, and more that they are specifically two characters from very big franchises with unique reasons to be included. I still think Lloyd is the most likely DLC character as he just kind of makes complete sense and really seems like the frontrunner for the Namco reps if they were to get a second one.

Sadly, I think Geno gets Smash and that's it. Outside of a Super Mario RPG remake, I don't see Nintendo negotiating for him every time they want to make a Mario Kart or a Mario Party. He's had no real presence there, and I suspect most of us will take the victory of him in Smash and there won't be as much support beyond the Smash series, as that's a significant amount of effort when we would have won the main fight. Seems like Square is hard enough to deal with, why would you willingly deal with their presence in games that otherwise have no third party presence?

Best bet would be another Super Mario RPG collaboration though, something that has Square involved. I think Geno only really makes sense when you already have Square at the table, not to specifically bring them in for Geno. Also, just saying, but Mario Kart needs to get it's act together with the roster before they ever consider adding third parties in the mix...

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
In terms of future Geno appearances other than Smash, I think a Super Mario RPG remake would be our only chance at seeing him. In-fact, a Super Mario RPG remake could also end up being the reason he ends up making it into Smash (if they really are using the DLC characters to promote upcoming Switch releases, like Joker and Erdrick would).

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
So, based on the way the conversation is going, would you all like if I limit what I say about what I know? Sounds like it stresses people out more than people enjoy it. How about this; I'll just say stuff if people ask, how's that?
I'd rather know than not know, even if we're all gonna be a tad bitter about it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, though, with the signs still pointing towards Geno as a possible inclusion and Erdrick likely being a non-issue in terms of his chances, today did give me a good amount of hope. Sakurai and Nintendo made a big deal out of his Mii outfit, and unless they intend on the Mii costume remaining as compensation a second time, I don't see him not happening otherwise. The fact that Geno was on his mind around when the initial project began and Erdrick being a possible cut for base game also points well in his direction. Who's to say Geno wasn't also planned for base game, but cut for a later date?

Even if Erdrick ends up being this Square rep, I wouldn't give up hope just yet.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Nothing new on the Geno front and it's just weird. Like I've talked about in the past, the way he's talked about is different from Sora who most people say is just totally out of the running because what is known.
Curious on if you've heard any other stirrings from other third parties like Capcom. Or even stuff within Nintendo themselves.

But if that's overstepping, I'll understand the lack of response.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
All I really want out of you Fatmanonice Fatmanonice is that if Geno get's BTFO (like you hearing his mii costume is back or somthing) is to let us know. I'd rather get let down by a fan of Geno then the Indifferent Square Enix.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Here's a tinfoil hat theory for y'all.

...What if Erdrick, Luminary, and Slime are all Mii Costumes...
That would obviously be the best-case scenario. Even if I ignore my bias for Geno, I think Dragon Quest Mii Costumes would be better received overall than a playable character would, and the Mii Swordfighter moveset would be perfectly fine for Erdrick and Luminary (though Slime would probably just be a hat like Chocobo was).

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Hey Fatmanonice! (No idea how to tag) just some questions:

Why do you think the DQ character won’t hurt Geno’s chances?

Is Geno somehow different outside the coveted SE character that Verge has been talking about?

Based on your statements, is the complications with SE the reason Verge knew about the SE character so early?

What makes you say it’s not Erdrick?

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
As a question for someone who is catching up, why do we still trust Hitagi? Is there anything they said that came true or any important notes? I know Hitagi isn't a troll/liar, but do we have any evidence that their smash information is accurate?

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

That would be one of the best cases, no doubt. This would be a good sign for Geno, because those three would seem the most likely for a Dairy Queen Dragon Quest newcomer/character in the game. I can see Geno as a newcomer, Mallow as an assist trophy, Forest Maze/Vista Hill/Star Hill/Smithy's Factory as a stage, and those three DQ characters as Mii costumes. NOW this would be the best decision.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I think we've well established the fact that Dragon Quest is a mess to get in the game. Getting the rights at all would signal a playable character. I'm pretty sure it's either Dragon Quest has a character or nothing. I don't see the potential for the something in between...

For better or for worse, Geno has no hangs up. Hopefully they don't decide the Mii costume again. Honestly, **** that thing. I wish they'd just abandon Mii costumes as an idea. I'd rather have anything else since I think it's the absolute worst representation of a character. At least as a spirit he actually looks like what he is supposed to...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Curious on if you've heard any other stirrings from other third parties like Capcom. Or even stuff within Nintendo themselves.

But if that's overstepping, I'll understand the lack of response.
No and that's the weird thing. Dragon Quest is the only thing that has any real talk aside from some people chiming with "oh, I've heard Yuri" and "yeah man, I've heard Lloyd" since the summer. All the Minecraft stuff goes back to August and nothing new has been heard since. I do think the Geno and NoA relation is weird because there's no real reason for NoA to push it. Company social media has a lot of checks and balances so for them to suddenly "celebrate" SMRPG in 2018 is really weird.

Hey Fatmanonice! (No idea how to tag) just some questions:

Why do you think the DQ character won’t hurt Geno’s chances?

Is Geno somehow different outside the coveted SE character that Verge has been talking about?

Based on your statements, is the complications with SE the reason Verge knew about the SE character so early?

What makes you say it’s not Erdrick?
-Simply put, a lot is now pointing to DQ being decided a long time ago, maybe even as far back as the base roster. Even people super close to Atlus were blindsided by Joker so it points to the remaining four characters being treated significantly differently. My thought is that DQ was possibly intended for base but the development of DQ XI for Switch kept getting sidelined because of Kingdom Hearts III and the Final Fantasy VII remake.

-The only Square Enix character that has decent evidence in their favor at this time is someone from DQ but that's not saying much when its literally the only DLC character that has this. Aside from rumors, everything else is a blank slate at the moment. Joker was all but unknown and the remaining 3 are almost complete mysteries.

-Probably. We just know that Square was a huge pain to work with but we don't know why. DQ's liscensing quagmire (giggity) is a possible explanation but not confirmed. Square's expectations for DLC could be another. Some say Square tried to double dip with Cloud but that's just a rumor. I think there might have been an honest attempt to get it in base but someone, either Nintendo or Square, slammed on the brakes for whatever reason and DQ stuff has been on freeze since.

-Can't disclose that but some people are saying it's fake or at least questionable so it might be moot either way.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I think we've well established the fact that Dragon Quest is a mess to get in the game. Getting the rights at all would signal a playable character. I'm pretty sure it's either Dragon Quest has a character or nothing. I don't see the potential for the something in between...

For better or for worse, Geno has no hangs up. Hopefully they don't decide the Mii costume again. Honestly, **** that thing. I wish they'd just abandon Mii costumes as an idea. I'd rather have anything else since I think it's the absolute worst representation of a character. At least as a spirit he actually looks like what he is supposed to...
I wouldn't be super positive, what better way to promote than with Mii costumes? Though, since Mii costumes merely just look like the character, not actually are the character, I feel like a DQ Mii costume pack makes more sense to me than just one random protagonist.

Who knows? Just spitballing.

D

Deleted member

My thought is that DQ was possibly intended for base but the development of DQ XI for Switch kept getting sidelined because of Kingdom Hearts III and the Final Fantasy VII remake.
This sounds likely, honestly. There's actually a photo of Sakurai with the creator of DQ and a few other people together, dated around 2016 (it was posted in the Seven Squares thread, you might have seen but I can post it here too if anyone's curious)
Aside that though this is interesting to note. Have you just heard nothing at all about Geno?

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
No and that's the weird thing. Dragon Quest is the only thing that has any real talk aside from some people chiming with "oh, I've heard Yuri" and "yeah man, I've heard Lloyd" since the summer. All the Minecraft stuff goes back to August and nothing new has been heard since. I do think the Geno and NoA relation is weird because there's no real reason for NoA to push it. Company social media has a lot of checks and balances so for them to suddenly "celebrate" SMRPG in 2018 is really weird.

-Simply put, a lot is now pointing to DQ being decided a long time ago, maybe even as far back as the base roster. Even people super close to Atlus were blindsided by Joker so it points to the remaining four characters being treated significantly differently. My thought is that DQ was possibly intended for base but the development of DQ XI for Switch kept getting sidelined because of Kingdom Hearts III and the Final Fantasy VII remake.

-The only Square Enix character that has decent evidence in their favor at this time is someone from DQ but that's not saying much when its literally the only DLC character that has this. Aside from rumors, everything else is a blank slate at the moment. Joker was all but unknown and the remaining 3 are almost complete mysteries.

-Probably. We just know that Square was a huge pain to work with but we don't know why. DQ's liscensing quagmire (giggity) is a possible explanation but not confirmed. Square's expectations for DLC could be another. Some say Square tried to double dip with Cloud but that's just a rumor. I think there might have been an honest attempt to get it in base but someone, either Nintendo or Square, slammed on the brakes for whatever reason and DQ stuff has been on freeze since.

-Can't disclose that but some people are saying it's fake or at least questionable so it might be moot either way.
Starting to think my tinfoil hat theory isn't the most insane thing ever. Heh guess I'll see.

Bless you man. You and your wife deserve the best Christmas ever. :)

Last edited:

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
This sounds likely, honestly. There's actually a photo of Sakurai with the creator of DQ and a few other people together, dated around 2016 (it was posted in the Seven Squares thread, you might have seen but I can post it here too if anyone's curious)
Aside that though this is interesting to note. Have you just heard nothing at all about Geno?
To be fair, there are tons of pictures floating around of Sakurai with gaming colleagues who have created characters who could be in Smash, like this one (also from 2016) featuring Shu Takumi (creator of Ace Attorney) and Hideki Kamiya (DMC, Okami, Wonderful 101, etc; and also the voice of Godot from AA)

Last edited:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
The counter argument to that is that it’d potentially be far easier to get through all the DQ legal proxies if you’re only making a glorified skin based on their IP. You’re not building a complete moveset from the ground up, you’re not including a relevant stage, and you’re not (necessarily) including music tracks, remixes or otherwise. A full-fledged playable DQ fighter would be a much bigger legal headache for Sakurai and Co than a mere costume.

Plus, it’s a relatively easy way to further introduce DQ to the western world, and turn out a decent profit in the process.

Lightspeed97

Smash Cadet
:ultroy:b
I'd personally love to hear anything you're allowed to speak about, I've been lurking hard on what you've been talking about in this thread, haha. I appreciate you and Polar!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The counter argument to that is that it’d potentially be far easier to get through all the DQ legal proxies if you’re only making a glorified skin based on their IP. You’re not building a complete moveset from the ground up, you’re not including a relevant stage, and you’re not (necessarily) including music tracks, remixes or otherwise. A full-fledged playable DQ fighter would be a much bigger legal headache for Sakurai and Co than a mere costume.

Plus, it’s a relatively easy way to further introduce DQ to the western world, and turn out a decent profit in the process.
On the other hand, it still would require a lot of money to get even a costume. So why not go all out? Both are valid ways to do it.

DQ is at least somewhat niche worldwide, but isn't nearly as much of an unknown as people make it to be. Specific heroes aren't as well known, though. Erdrick isn't even that known as much as people think he is. He's not iconic in the same way Slime(the game's mascot) respectively is. Of course, Slime is Dragon Quest's Pikachu, so that makes sense. That said, he's definitely one of the most known heroes and a very good choice if they go for the hero class. While I'd prefer Slime, I can see why he'd be interesting too.

...I can't think of anything to say about Geno at the moment, other than "he'd still be sweet". >.<

Xigger

Smash Lord

the remaining 3 are almost complete mysteries
Remaining 4. There are 5 in the DLC wave, and Piranha Plant is a bonus.

Also, what's been pointing to DQ anyways? Only secrets, or anything publicly known?

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
On the other hand, it still would require a lot of money to get even a costume. So why not go all out? Both are valid ways to do it.
I see what you’re saying, and I agree. I was only trying to address the “playable or nothing” idea. Both outcomes are valid for different reasons.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

DQ is at least somewhat niche worldwide, but isn't nearly as much of an unknown as people make it to be. Specific heroes aren't as well known, though. Erdrick isn't even that known as much as people think he is. He's not iconic in the same way Slime(the game's mascot) respectively is. Of course, Slime is Dragon Quest's Pikachu, so that makes sense. That said, he's definitely one of the most known heroes and a very good choice if they go for the hero class. While I'd prefer Slime, I can see why he'd be interesting too.

...I can't think of anything to say about Geno at the moment, other than "he'd still be sweet". >.<
Erdrick, Luminary, and Slime being Mii costumes would arguably be better advertisement for the entire series than just Erdrick as a playable fighter. At least it makes sense sense to me.

Shrug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom