• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I would argue that No More Heroes was different because they outright said Travis wasn't going to be in Smash about a week before the presentation. I keep harping on Jump Festa because it's the best public appearance for a DQ announcement until the Tokyo Game Show next fall. Despite this, there's no hard rule that Erdrick absolutely couldn't be revealed in a normal Direct, I just think it would be weird given how Joker was revealed to an entire audience in real time.

MattX20

Smash Hero
You know guys, the more I think about the whole Eddy deal, it reminds me of one important fact I've learned in life. When the same lie is told over and over again without skipping a beat, it can convince some people that it is the truth. That is what I think the DQ rep deal is right now, and that has fooled some of these insiders/leakers to believe it to be true, even with the list of names showing off three seperate characters named for DQ and Square's history of giving out false information.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
You know guys, the more I think about the whole Eddy deal, it reminds me of one important fact I've learned in life. When the same lie is told over and over again without skipping a beat, it can convince some people that it is the truth. That is what I think the DQ rep deal is right now, and that has fooled some of these insiders/leakers to believe it to be true, even with the list of names showing off three seperate characters named for DQ and Square's history of giving out false information.
I just hope the SE rep isn't shown last or worse, that there's no SE rep at all.

D

Deleted member

I just hope the SE rep isn't shown last or worse, that there's no SE rep at all.
Geno would be a hype finale tho

I like this

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

If Geno is the last DLC character, I think it would well worth the wait, even though I might die from anticipation first.
It will definitely be. I can wait for it, as long as he's in :) Even if we just get a model of him and have to wait another year after that for a CGI reveal and gameplay, I will be happy. I just need him confirmed

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Edrick reveal at Jump Festa would be neat I guess, I don't think they'd announce another DLC so soon though. At this rate we'd know all 5 by February!

D

Deleted member

Edrick reveal at Jump Festa would be neat I guess, I don't think they'd announce another DLC so soon though. At this rate we'd know all 5 by February!
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I think we will know the 2nd, who I think will be Lloyd, by February

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
The pacing of it all is why I don’t think we’ll be hearing any news at Jump Festa. This Fighter’s Pass is supposed to last us until 2020, right? That’s a lot of time.

D

Deleted member

You ignored where I specified that Nintendo has been seemingly in tune with what the fans ask for within the last couple years. This is a "what have you done for me lately?" type of business. It's no secret that most of the Wii U era Nintendo didn't give a **** about what we asked for, but ever since the announcement of the Switch, they've started to pump out gold again, specifically giving us things we've been asking for. Luigi's Mansion 3 anyone?
Where is Mother 3

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If the mumblings are true, Square was a pain to work with and this honestly could explain why. Legally speaking, DQ is a huge pain in the ass and it would make sense for it to be one of the first ones they tried to hammer out. Partially wishful thinking and conjecture but perhaps Square's intent was always two DLC characters in a Smash game. It's kind of suggested that's what they wanted for Smash 4 and the rumors are that they unironically tried to make Cloud DLC again in Ultimate.

beans

Smash Lord
If the mumblings are true, Square was a pain to work with and this honestly could explain why. Legally speaking, DQ is a huge pain in the *** and it would make sense for it to be one of the first ones they tried to hammer out. Partially wishful thinking and conjecture but perhaps Square's intent was always two DLC characters in a Smash game. It's kind of suggested that's what they wanted for Smash 4 and the rumors are that they unironically tried to make Cloud DLC again in Ultimate.
Still.
At such an specific event like Jump Festa.
Most of the Smash reveals were at Nintendo events, even Joker had some audience crossover due to being a general gaming event.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
If the mumblings are true, Square was a pain to work with and this honestly could explain why. Legally speaking, DQ is a huge pain in the *** and it would make sense for it to be one of the first ones they tried to hammer out. Partially wishful thinking and conjecture but perhaps Square's intent was always two DLC characters in a Smash game. It's kind of suggested that's what they wanted for Smash 4 and the rumors are that they unironically tried to make Cloud DLC again in Ultimate.
I'm still gonna be baffled in awe if we get Erdrick. LIke, can you imagine how it would go with them trying to get the rights for him? It's gonna be insane if Sakurai and Nintendo can pull it off.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, with that, it would make that much more sense if we ended up getting Geno after Erdrick. After the hassle of DQ, I can't really see them doing another rep unless it was an easier one to negotiate, which would really only leave Geno and Sephiroth. Given Uematsu-san is on leave and the music there would be tougher than to obtain with Geno, who has Shimomura-san on his side, the answer would be obvious.

Do I think we're getting Erdrick? It looks likely. Does it mean the death knell for Geno? Not necessarily. If anything, a second SE DLC rep would only make sense to me if it actually was Geno. That gives me a glimmer of hope.

link2702

Smash Champion
Guys I wouldn’t worry about any reveal tomorrow.

IF they were planning anything they’d have some sort of hint. Even the game awards dropped some hints to look to. Jump festa isn’t even on most folks radar.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Still.
At such an specific event like Jump Festa.
Most of the Smash reveals were at Nintendo events, even Joker had some audience crossover due to being a general gaming event.
We're talking about SE tho, who knows...
We can even get a Erdrick or Slime Mii Costume announce tomorrow, anything can happen

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Why do people want Edrick; is what is baffling me. Even people who want other Square Characters want him.

I haven't heard a single pitch of this character that hasn't brought up "sort of like Cloud" or "Similar to Robin". I feel like if you need to compare him to other characters; he isn't that unique?

Compare to Geno; who can LITERALLY turn into a canon. You can't compare THAT to any character in Smash. Even Timed Hits is still a thing that isn't in Smash.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Why do people want Edrick; is what is baffling me. Even people who want other Square Characters want him.

I haven't heard a single pitch of this character that hasn't brought up "sort of like Cloud" or "Similar to Robin". I feel like if you need to compare him to other characters; he isn't that unique?

Compare to Geno; who can LITERALLY turn into a canon. You can't compare THAT to any character in Smash. Even Timed Hits is still a thing that isn't in Smash.
I think people feel this way because they want something they already understand. and Erdick would give the people who want characters like Crono or Sephiroth hope. Geno comes out of left field on every account. The only thing we have that could even be close to him would be mii gunner. just because megaman uses all special moves.

Basically, I tihnk people want something they wont have to learn from step 1, and that to me, is both lazy and sad.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
So guys I have a question. People are mostly basing this Eddy info from insiders saying it's probably him and this one chan post correct? This situation feels awfully familiar...

...Oh boy... Here we go again...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So guys I have a question. People are mostly basing this Eddy info from insiders saying it's probably him and this one chan post correct? This situation feels awfully familiar...

It's actually a Japanese leak from 2chan or 5chan or some website.

That's an old leak that only mentions Dixie, K. Rool, Smash Run, and Smash Tour for Smash (to be revealed in a July Nintendo Direct).

Insiders don't even know for certain, Erdrick is just the one they've heard the most + the Japanese leak seems credible.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
It's actually a Japanese leak from 2chan or 5chan or some website.

That's an old leak that only mentions Dixie, K. Rool, Smash Run, and Smash Tour for Smash (to be revealed in a July Nintendo Direct).
That's kinda my point. It's a leak that got some stuff right and everyone was quick to jump on it. Then the rest turned out to be bunk.

Where a leak is posted doesn't really matter.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

The comparisons are mostly so that people who know nothing about him can get a grasp.

Like, if somebody didn’t know anything about Geno, you might use Mii Gunner or Megaman as comparisons as to what he would and wouldn’t do.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681

Seems WAAAAAAY too unrealistic. Mario Odyssey DLC, Mother 3, even Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC. They'd never add DLC to 8D; it makes no sense.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Considering how they were so convinced a SE announcement was bound for the VGAs, you might be on to something.

I think people feel this way because they want something they already understand. and Erdick would give the people who want characters like Crono or Sephiroth hope. Geno comes out of left field on every account. The only thing we have that could even be close to him would be mii gunner. just because megaman uses all special moves.

Basically, I tihnk people want something they wont have to learn from step 1, and that to me, is both lazy and sad.
On the plus side, it'd be the first time we ever get someone unique that uses a shield since 1999.

But just watch him coming with a party of secondary characters to throw lazy players for a loop. :p And not coming with a Counter.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
-On the previous note, Banjo's not too different from Geno given it hasn't had a new game in a ten years and last new appearance on a Nintendo platform was coincidentally enough the same year as Geno's last cameo in a Mario game in 2003. Hell, the series even called itself washed up in game during the introductory stage of Nuts and Butts (autocorrect mistake there but I ain't changing it) so if people can have hope for a series that even called itself irrelevant, you all can continue supporting Geno until a hard discomfirmation.
Banjo Pilot was 2005.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
You know what, I found out that they're making a minecraft 2. Suddenly this whole Steve business comes into sharper focus.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/minecraft-...play-trailers-seeds-maps-servers-mods-shaders
That's just a "what if" article, Mojang hasn't hinted or announced anything relating to a "Minecraft 2" which would be entirely pointless due to how the current Minecraft works.

I honestly don't even know why people would expect a Minecraft 2, either they're being silly (since all that stuff can be done through mods or updates) or are desperate for views.

But aren't the fans fine with just receiving updates? They just got a new spin-off, too.
Yes, and Mojang is too.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

"Eddy" and DQ content has been floating around since late summer. It's just that a ton of evidence supporting it has only dropped literally in the last week behind the scenes. Can't go into it but it's gotten to the point evidence wise that a ton of people from a wide variety of networks were bamboozled if DQ absolutely isn't in Ultimate in some form. A possible Jump Festa announcement is just an educated guess because 1. Bird Studio has an absolutely gigantic prescence there 2. there's multiple Dragon Quest panels this year and 3. they're hardcore teasing a special guest for one of them with most people in the know saying it's not likely to be Toriyama because he's like Wily Wonka when it comes to public appearances. That said, Erdrick doesn't absolutely have to be revealed at Jump Festa but it would by far receive the best reception there.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
"Eddy" and DQ content has been floating around since late summer. It's just that a ton of evidence supporting it has only dropped literally in the last week behind the scenes. Can't go into it but it's gotten to the point evidence wise that a ton of people from a wide variety of networks were bamboozled if DQ absolutely isn't in Ultimate in some form. A possible Jump Festa announcement is just an educated guess because 1. Bird Studio has an absolutely gigantic prescence there 2. there's multiple Dragon Quest panels this year and 3. they're hardcore teasing a special guest for one of them with most people in the know saying it's not likely to be Toriyama because he's like Wily Wonka when it comes to public appearances. That said, Erdrick doesn't absolutely have to be revealed at Jump Festa but it would by far receive the best reception there.
There's just something super suspicious surrounding this entire ordeal.I'm half expecting Eddy to be a Mii costume at this point. This many people knowing it's him all while knowing exact stages and movesets for not just him but Joker as well? My Persona 5 loving friend even predicts the Persona stage being Mementos. That's not a super obscure thing to guess.

I guess what I'm saying is: Something ain't right.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I would just like to point out the possibility that we could get all 5 characters revealed by e3. The direct said they'd all be released by 2020, but that seems more like insurance than anything. "If you buy the fighter pass, you'll DEFINITELY have them all by this point," and the part that is all but implied is, "but probably sooner." The way I see it, in January we're going to get a direct where Piranha Plant is available immediately after, they show off Joker a bit, and they reveal one character, saying Joker/#2 is going to be released later. A few months later, Joker/#2 are released, along with #3 being shown off. Then at E3, they blow us all out of the water. They reveal #4 and #5, and then say #3/#4/#5 are all available at the end of that presentation. This would mirror Smash 4 DLC pretty well.

Bonus points if they announce a second fighter pack at E3 or a few months after E3.

MattX20

Smash Hero
There's just something super suspicious surrounding this entire ordeal.I'm half expecting Eddy to be a Mii costume at this point. This many people knowing it's him all while knowing exact stages and movesets for not just him but Joker as well? My Persona 5 loving friend even predicts the Persona stage being Mementos. That's not a super obscure thing to guess.

I guess what I'm saying is: Something ain't right.
And Polar's source from NOA made it pretty clear last time I checked that no one really knew any of the DLC characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom