• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
No. It's possible Square Enix wants it back as DLC, but as of now, it isn't in Ultimate
By the way, the Nintendo support site actually lists mii costumes as .75 cents for Smash Ultimate DLC, thus proving that we will get mii costume dlc. I doubt it is talking about the Rex outfit unless it's just a timed exclusive.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
By the way, the Nintendo support site actually lists mii costumes as .75 cents for Smash Ultimate DLC, thus proving that we will get mii costume dlc. I doubt it is talking about the Rex outfit unless it's just a timed exclusive.
Good eye, this way we can get to see if any third parties will end up getting the axe if there's any returning costumes from 4.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm having a weird "up" day so I figured I'd go ahead and say that I'll stick with Geno for Smash Ultimate until either the Mii costume returns or it's outright confirmed that he's not one of the five DLC characters. I dunno. Might as well cement this now before my next downer so you ****ers better hold me accountable if I try to jump ship prematurely again.
Yessir lmao.

D

Deleted member

Maybe it could be like how there are playable characters in the base game with their Mii costumes returning from Smash 4. They could do this for the 3rd part DLC characters. The characters who had Mii costumes in Smash 4 could be DLC, most notable Lloyd and Geno, and their Mii costumes could be DLC along with a playable character.

Just gimme playable Geno (and Ninten) and I'll be happy

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Maybe it could be like how there are playable characters in the base game with their Mii costumes returning from Smash 4. They could do this for the 3rd part DLC characters. The characters who had Mii costumes in Smash 4 could be DLC, most notable Lloyd and Geno, and their Mii costumes could be DLC along with a playable character.

Just gimme playable Geno (and Ninten) and I'll be happy
Given the costumes are just quick and easy ports like the base game costumes, I wouldn't rule out the DLC costumes as being deconfirmations or just cash grabs without much forethought. Isaac and new Mii costumes were tailor made mainly to serve as compensation. These being ports are just ways to get more quick bucks in their pocket. It'd definitely lessen their chances, and I'd definitely say no wave 1 playable Geno if his Mii costume comes back, but it's a bit more of a gray area than costumes like Isaac and Lip.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I expect this to be almost an actual quote from vergeben "I knew he was in the whole time I just didn't want to say"
LMAOOOOOOOO that’s exactly something he would say

Question for everyone...
Does anyone use the Geno icon in the new smash bros ultimate for your online tag?

I DO!!!
I do!!!! LETS GO

Anyone else think 75c is...alarmingly cheap? Lol

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Anyone else think 75c is...alarmingly cheap? Lol
If it's just the ported costumes from Sm4sh, honestly, the price point makes more sense. They aren't having to make any extra effort beyond porting the models. As I said before, it's just a quick and easy cash grab for them, so I can see why they'd do that, even if at a cheaper price point than before.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
I was actually one of the minority that didn't know Bayonetta was coming, nor did I even know who she was. I have yet to play her at all because I always got bodied by her *** in For Glory. Now that she got nerfed in Ultimate, maybe I'll play as her sometime...

Yeah, I was in that minority too. To be honest, i was slightly ticked off that someone I hadn’t heard of before won the ballot, but I was so excited about Geno being a Mii Costume, I didn’t care all that much.

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
I've really been impressed by the way you guys have handled the trolls, and Erdrick shills coming in to disrupt your thread. I was never much of supporter due to not caring about the character more of a mallow guy myself, but you guys have changed my mind I am now fully on board the geno train.

D

Deleted member

I've really been impressed by the way you guys have handled the trolls, and Erdrick shills coming in to disrupt your thread. I was never much of supporter due to not caring about the character more of a mallow guy myself, but you guys have changed my mind I am now fully on board the geno train.
Welcome to the Geno thread :)

D

Deleted member

Welcome!

Akechi_Goro

Smash Rookie
I gotta say, the amount of support for this one character makes me indifferent to at least being glad the character will get in. I don’t have any knowledge of Geno, but I would be looking forward to him if he gets announced.

I do kind of wish that people did this with other characters through instead of being afraid of opposed posters...

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I'm having a weird "up" day so I figured I'd go ahead and say that I'll stick with Geno for Smash Ultimate until either the Mii costume returns or it's outright confirmed that he's not one of the five DLC characters. I dunno. Might as well cement this now before my next downer so you ****ers better hold me accountable if I try to jump ship prematurely again.
damn right, son.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, all fanbases have some bad apples, but my experience with Geno fans has been nothing but worthwhile for the most part. Trolls will be trolls, and frankly, I'm too old and life is too short to waste time on anything that is ultimately meaningless. I'm sure a lot of us think similarly on that front. If people like other characters that could, for lack of better word, 'take Geno's slot' or whatever — which is still something I don't believe in, natch — then I hope they get their character and are happy with them. Dogging other people isn't my style. While it might be for some, I say it's best to just handle things with maturity and look on the bright side of things, even if with a healthy pinch of reality on top.

Even with all of the ups and downs of this speculation cycle (easily the craziest in my time with Smash), thank you all for being just generally awesome. I give a chocolate malt banana quack of appreciation.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I can't wait to re-purchase the ability to pretend to play as Geno. Though I suppose

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
After the final newcomers were revealed, no one still uses a gun with the similar design as the vifam figure. When I saw some gameplay of Smash Ultimate, I saw the super scope and said to myself, "No, please don't tell me Sakurai just needed that figurine's gun just to redesign the super scope..." And then my idiot self realized that the super scope in Ultimate still looks the same as the original one from 1992, it just only has different shading in Ultimate.

So the good news is we still have no clue what the vifam figure is for. It wasn't for Inkling, Ridley, King K. Rool, Simon, Incineroar, Joker, or anyone else. Dark Samus doesn't follow this because her design is taken from Samus's, and her gun is obviously different and much bigger than the vifam figurine's gun.
I have a theory for the ViFam figure that it was intended for the Spirit Board. Sakurai isn't a stranger to user models and figures to determine movement and animation for his characters. For the most part, we have know this. So the idea he would want to have some kind of coverage on this particular toy is interesting.

Of course I can already hear the typing of the 'spirit gun looks nothing like the ViFam gun' which you are right. Considering the artcle was made in 2016/2017, the game was still in heavy development. The gun still has a lot of similar features about it but I think when studying the source material of the ViFam anime, the laser shot from the same gun in the show matches the look of the laser fired in the game.

While we may never know what it was for or if it will ever see the light of day, I think Sakurai has been at least teasing the idea of Spirits since 2016/2017 and the ViFam figure was exclusively for the Spirit Board Gun.

Images for reference.
vifam.JPG
Spirit Board.JPG
Am I onto something or am I just blowing smoke and looking too far at this point?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I gotta say, the amount of support for this one character makes me indifferent to at least being glad the character will get in. I don’t have any knowledge of Geno, but I would be looking forward to him if he gets announced.

I do kind of wish that people did this with other characters through instead of being afraid of opposed posters...
THIS. A THOUSAND TIMES.

Seriously, I can't stress how much most other characters are unfairly ignored in the speculation scene, it's no wonder people act confused if they can't get in. How will they achieve what they want if people don't notice them enough to be vocal about them? And they'll let themselves be deterred by naysayers that think they wouldn't make any sense, yet talk about Goku and Shrek is okay? I say it doesn't have to be this way. Not again.

Ridley and K. Rool have proved it doesn't have to be that way. Things must change.

D

Deleted member

I have a theory for the ViFam figure that it was intended for the Spirit Board. Sakurai isn't a stranger to user models and figures to determine movement and animation for his characters. For the most part, we have know this. So the idea he would want to have some kind of coverage on this particular toy is interesting.

Of course I can already hear the typing of the 'spirit gun looks nothing like the ViFam gun' which you are right. Considering the artcle was made in 2016/2017, the game was still in heavy development. The gun still has a lot of similar features about it but I think when studying the source material of the ViFam anime, the laser shot from the same gun in the show matches the look of the laser fired in the game.

While we may never know what it was for or if it will ever see the light of day, I think Sakurai has been at least teasing the idea of Spirits since 2016/2017 and the ViFam figure was exclusively for the Spirit Board Gun.

Images for reference.
Am I onto something or am I just blowing smoke and looking too far at this point?
Since the article for Sakurai buying the Vifam gun was in December 2016, I think it is for one of the DLC characters. If it was for this, I think he would have bought it in February of 2016 or earlier, since this is a feature in the base game

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
For iconic as the line "You'll never see it coming" is, that phrase could be attached to almost any big surprise. It's vague enough. Any notable bullseyes aside from that which he definitely got?
Not to my knowledge. According to Panda, they're not credible at all, so ignore me saying they're worth listening to I guess.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I was having a pretty good day, too. Otherwise I'd just be lurking like I was for the past several weeks. Maybe we drank a Pick-Me-Up.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
If the upcoming SE rep is released alongside 2 mii costumes, which 2 SE characters would you like to see?

(Let’s of course assume for this question that Geno is the DLC fighter)

D

Deleted member

If the upcoming SE rep is released alongside 2 mii costumes, which 2 SE characters would you like to see?

Crono and Sora, the two most requested SE characters (even though Sora is technically a Disney character) after Geno

Or, it would be cool for Crono not to have a Mii costume so that he and Geno could be the 2 SE reps, and make Sora and either Sephiroth or Erdrick have Mii costumes

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Honestly, if we got Geno, I'd want a Mii costume to represent Dragon Quest, either Luminary, Erdrick, or Eight. I'd feel pretty sad if we got Geno after all the hype over Erdrick seeming likely, and then DQ got nothing. Then, add Crono or Sora.

TBone06

Smash Ace
So I just 100%'d Spirits Mode. Gotta say, the Geno Spirit battle was definitely bittersweet. They clearly put in a lot of effort into this battle (although a lot of them were very well done). But the Geno spirit definitely kicked ***. I used it at the end battle.

Unrelated, does anyone else feel that Spirits mode made you a worse player? I felt Spirits mode makes you lazy and reliant due to the overpowered nature of them. But still, I really enjoyed Spirits as a whole despite a handful of battles that were just stupid levels of difficulty.

Really rooting for Geno for DLC at some point. It's the only thing that would make this game better.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Just wanted to mention that the Geno icon is the one I see the most online! I'm sure it'll catch Nintendo's eyes.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Just wanted to point this out because I never saw discussion on it and I know Sora used to be a hot topic here:

If you want to get into Smash, you have to originate from a video game. That's the rules right? All of the characters, whether it be fighters, assists, trophies, have all originated from video games in every single Smash. But what about the assist trophy Dr. Kawashima? Did anyone forget that he is literally a real life neuroscientist?

Now you may be thinking "well they used his appearance from Brain Age in Smash". Okay. So if Sora got added, why couldn't Donald or Goofy be there in a final Smash or something? Like Dr. Kawashima, they'd come from outside the realm of video games and would use their video game incarnations (aka from Kingdom Hearts like Kawashima from Brain Age).

I'd love to here some thoughts on this (and let me specify this isn't me personally trying to make an argument for Donald and Goofy.)

D

Deleted member

Just wanted to point this out because I never saw discussion on it and I know Sora used to be a hot topic here:

If you want to get into Smash, you have to originate from a video game. That's the rules right? All of the characters, whether it be fighters, assists, trophies, have all originated from video games in every single Smash. But what about the assist trophy Dr. Kawashima? Did anyone forget that he is literally a real life neuroscientist?

Now you may be thinking "well they used his appearance from Brain Age in Smash". Okay. So if Sora got added, why couldn't Donald or Goofy be there in a final Smash or something? Like Dr. Kawashima, they'd come from outside the realm of video games and would use their video game incarnations (aka from Kingdom Hearts like Kawashima from Brain Age).

I'd love to here some thoughts on this (and let me specify this isn't me personally trying to make an argument for Donald and Goofy.)
We don't know if Disney is okay with that though. According to some people on YouTube, Dissidia Final Fantasy was originally going to be called "Dissidia Kingdom Hearts," but Disney didn't like the idea of Goofy and DD getting beat up (I think).

If Sora gets into Smash, it will most likely be without the Disney mascots, as much as I would prefer to have them over Sora :D

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

It really comes down to likeness and what Nintendo could get out of Disney without breaking the bank. Disney seems way more protective over their property than someone like Kawashima.

Images for reference.
Nobody seemed to respond to my earlier post but I am really serious when I say this scenario is on the table regarding the ViFam figure. It might be a bit off topic because it isn't anything regarding Geno but I think the ViFam theory is not as in our favor as we have been hoping.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Considering they use the exact same pose for the spirit gun as they do for the super scope or any other gun you pick up... you are definitely blowing smoke (whatever that means)

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

I would absolutely LOVE a Sephiroth/Black Mage and Crono Mii costume! A Final Fantasy representation and a Super Nintendo era representation. :)

Bonus: Include Mallow as part of Geno's final smash, or make him an assist trophy.

D

Deleted member

Images for reference.
The poses/animations for the characters holding and shooting the spirit board gun are the same are their regular gun holding poses/animations. The figure is probably still for a new DLC fighter

Mallow, and probably someone from Dragon Quest so Square can still try to advertise the series outside of Japan without pissing people off too much.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Crono and Sora, the two most requested SE characters (even though Sora is technically a Disney character) after Geno

Or, it would be cool for Crono not to have a Mii costume so that he and Geno could be the 2 SE reps, and make Sora and either Sephiroth or Erdrick have Mii costumes
My word, if Crono got a Mii Costume that would be all I use on Mii Swordfighter for the rest of eternity.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My word, if Crono got a Mii Costume that would be all I use on Mii Swordfighter for the rest of eternity.
Yeah, Crono is pretty awesome. It would be nice to see him and Geno revived on the roster :)

Amazing, I mean

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Since the article for Sakurai buying the Vifam gun was in December 2016, I think it is for one of the DLC characters. If it was for this, I think he would have bought it in February of 2016 or earlier, since this is a feature in the base game
Would like to point out that if your guess is true, and he bought the Vidal Gun in Feb, 2016, it would be the third time Feb 2016 is brought up.

-Sakurai mentioned Geno in Feb 2016
-The Smash U project plan started Feb 16
-potentially bought Vifam gun in Feb 2016 to incorporate it into Smash U somehow.

HMMMMMMMM

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I realize that it's super early in the morning for most of you but I wanted to say a few things:

-Jump Festa is tomorrow and there's a pretty decent chance that Erdrick will be revealed there. Act accordingly. I said it a few weeks ago, if Dragon Quest gets into Smash, it means this is the first time in the series 32 year history that it has been liscensed out to another gaming company. When Sakurai said Smash made the impossible possible, this will be the biggest example up until this point. It's a big victory for that fanbase so don't be a prick to them whether Erdrick is confirmed tomorrow, later, or even not at all.

-Like I said yesterday, I've decided to hold on until either the Geno Mii costume comes back or it's flat out confirmed he's not one of the remaining 4 characters. You all can do what you want but keep in mind that the Geno Mii costume was saved for the very last Direct last time. Geno being the last reveal ala Bayonetta wouldn't be unusual either. Yes, I'm aware most are saying Banjo but people also said this for Smash 4 too. On the topic of Banjo...

-If people are "allowed" to have hope for Banjo, you all should be allowed to hope for Geno. Again, making the impossible possible is kind of Sakurai's forte at this point. If the dude can navigate the most legally complicated video game IPs like Captain MF Ahab going after Moby ****, he can figure out Geno if he still wants to.

-On the previous note, Banjo's not too different from Geno given it hasn't had a new game in a ten years and last new appearance on a Nintendo platform was coincidentally enough the same year as Geno's last cameo in a Mario game in 2003. Hell, the series even called itself washed up in game during the introductory stage of Nuts and Butts (autocorrect mistake there but I ain't changing it) so if people can have hope for a series that even called itself irrelevant, you all can continue supporting Geno until a hard discomfirmation.

-Alright, so, if it turns out that Geno's a Mii costume or flat out not in Smash by this time next year, don't shoot any of the messengers. Don't go after anyone, especially Polar Panda. I already told him that I wouldn't let anyone harass him and I will be up anyone's ass like a rock lobster from Hell if I hear about it coming from anyone in this thread.

-Circling back, there's no real rule that blocks Geno from being DLC. Square can have two DLC characters, especially if Erdrick is in given he's predominantly owned by Armor Project/Bird Studio anyways. SEGA has three characters from three separate properties. Ryu and Ken are actually both liscensed under Capcom USA in this game. "No more than one third party character per company" was a fan rule made irrelevant by Smash 4, just as "no third party characters" was made irrelevant by Brawl and "no more than 1 character per third party franchise" was made irrelevant by this game. Keep this in mind when people say it's "impossible" because it's only impossible by fan rules that are regularly broken.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, there's only one problem: it might still be too early for a reveal. Suda 51's event for Travis Strikes Again came and went earlier, and no Smash announcement happened there (and deconfirmed by the man himself, no less), so nothing guarantees it'll be the case here either (even though JF does feature games, but at least it's better to check that for any reveals than X018). Just keep that into consideration and keep expectations in check. Otherwise I agree with your points.

That being said, whether DQ or Geno fans win or lose, I'll remain a good sport. Besides, having Erdrick would be one small step towards getting my DQ picks in the future.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I'll also add do not go to GameFAQS or Reddit as there are hungry vultures waiting on Geno's supposed disconfirmation. There might even be some trolls that come here to gloat, but don't let it get to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom