• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
How is pirahna plant in a car similar to Bowser Jr.?
IDK, that feels really picky if you are trying to dismiss it. I think he was simply trying to say he was inside something on the ground. Getting the three characters right regardless of the "car" makes it real. 4chan also had the everyone is here leak with Daisy and Ridley, but it was only the day before.

The problem with this, is that I am sure at least one fake leaker could guess Joker. It's a lot harder to guess someone like Piranha plant. If he gets another right then I will take it seriously.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
IDK, that feels really picky if you are trying to dismiss it. I think he was simply trying to say he was inside something on the ground. Getting the three characters right regardless of the "car" makes it real. 4chan also had the everyone is here leak with Daisy and Ridley, but it was only the day before.
Chill dude, it's a joke.

But 1/1 million getting something right doesn't mean someone else is right. Remember other leaks guessed characters right but we're still wrong in the end. Everyone was freaking out over the leak that guessed Isabelle and said Dante would be revealed in November.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I...don't have any hope left. Joker opened so many doors that now almost anybody can join Smash. I honestly think the base game was Geno's best shot. Nobody knows what's going to happen with the rest of DLC, so we're in for surprises, which is good. At this point, i just want the Geno costume back and i wanna know some things....

1. Why didn't we get any SMRPG music? The composer is already on board, so it seems very easy to get.
2. This is subjective, but why didn't Nintendo utilise the ballot more? Ridley, Simon and K Rool felt like the only ballot picks (i know Inkling and Isabelle were super popular, but still).
3. Why didn't they just show Geno's spirit battle in the November direct instead of showing his icon for like 2 seconds?
I would love for the Mii costume to come back, but given Reggie already claimed that there are no plans for paid Mii costume DLC (again, if someone can dig up that article for me, I'd really appreciate it!), I kind of doubt it. We know that Square likes to make bank off of whatever they can, so the Geno costume would likely not be re-released for free. That dampens those chances.

I have to say, it is rather frustrating that we only got an icon and a spirit that can only be used in, well, spirits mode. Given we had a Mii outfit in the prior game, this does feel like a downgrade. I hope the Mii costume comes back, I really do, but I'm pessimistic.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That partnership is important to note too because it really does highlight how crazy Geno's situation is. He's an original Mario character that was created by a third party more than two decades ago... And he still has a notable fanbase. Can any other third party make that boast? "Oh hey, we created a character for the biggest IP in gaming back before the internet went mainstream and he still has fans." Let me condense that even further: "we created a Nintendo character that people love." Can Capcom say that? Konami? SEGA? Namco? That's a big distinction that I think people regularly blow off.
I mean, Capcom can because they made Vaati, but the point still stands.

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
Wow, I sure did miss out on a lot, didn't I? I gotta say, when I was watching The Game Awards after it had debuted, and I saw "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Persona 5," in the preview as I was skimming through the video, my jaw dropped. I could make out that it said had the Persona 5 logo on it, but only barely. I immediately skipped to that portion of the video, and it really shocked me. I'll be honest, I've never played Persona 5, but obviously I've known of it, and seen of it for a while. I really did not expect them to announce a DLC character this early and much less have it be a character from PERSONA 5. I instantly realized that this was a good start for the DLC. I knew lots of people were going to be happy. But then, it dawned on me how important this really was. A character from a pretty niche game that hasn't even been on the Nintendo Switch was announced as the first DLC fighter. I can guarantee you that Nintendo in no way decided to do this for the sake of a mainstream or a younger audience. This was all done completely for the fans, and for the sake of making a good game, not corporate decisions being made for to appeal to toddlers or the average casual video game player. Everyone has been telling me that Nintendo is simply not going to take any risks with the DLC, and they aren't going to choose anything that isn't overwhelmingly popular. People have been insisting that Dragon Quest is clearly going to make the pick, and thinking that characters like Geno have any chance would just be foolish, but no. I can say with confidence that it is looking very promising for the next 4 DLC characters. Sakurai is doing what he wants with the game. Sakurai is doing what he does for none other than the fans of the game that he created and has worked on for years.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
As much as I love Oracle of Ages/Seasons and wish those characters/elements would be referenced in Zelda again I think it’s pretty obvious that SMRPG/Geno is on a whole other level in terms of grassroots fan support and continued popularity.

Edit: And by Vaati I mean Veran from OoA which is a completely different character. Oops

Still though I don’t think Vaati comes close to Geno/SMRPG in terms of fan support.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
That partnership is important to note too because it really does highlight how crazy Geno's situation is. He's an original Mario character that was created by a third party more than two decades ago... And he still has a notable fanbase. Can any other third party make that boast? "Oh hey, we created a character for the biggest IP in gaming back before the internet went mainstream and he still has fans." Let me condense that even further: "we created a Nintendo character that people love." Can Capcom say that? Konami? SEGA? Namco? That's a big distinction that I think people regularly blow off.
If you buy into the theory that Capcom created Vaati, maybe (I personally don't buy that for a second...).
Wait, what- aw, :ultgreninja:'d...
As much as I love Oracle of Ages/Seasons and wish those characters/elements would be referenced in Zelda again I think it’s pretty obvious that SMRPG/Geno is on a whole other level in terms of grassroots fan support and continued popularity.
Vaati isn't from the Oracle games. He's from Four Swords and Minish Cap.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
If you buy into the theory that Capcom created Vaati, maybe (I personally don't buy that for a second...).

Wait, what- aw, :ultgreninja:'d...

Vaati isn't from the Oracle games. He's from Four Swords and Minish Cap.
Wew somehow I mixed up Vaati and Veran from OoA. That’s what I get for posting early in the morning lol

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sega created Bayonetta.

Nintendo has all but adopted her as their M Rated Franchise daughter.

She's pretty beloved, Smash drama be damned.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Sega created Bayonetta.

Very true, but she wasn’t originally intended to be a Nintendo exclusive character. And even then she’s a very recent character and has been in a couple games now versus Geno was in one Nintendo exclusive game 20 years ago but is still popular. I think that’s the distinction Fatmanonice Fatmanonice was trying to make. It’s all those things together that make Geno a unique case.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As a fan of Vaati, I'd say he's a big stretch. Even back in the Brawl days, his popularity was dwarfed by Midna and Skull Kid. There hasn't been a serious push for Vaati in Smash in over a decade. In comparison, I would say Geno is definitively the most wanted Mario character right now aside from maybe Waluigi and has been in the top 3 for most wanted Mario characters since Melee (the last being Daisy).

lemon demon

Smash Cadet
personally i interpreted reggie saying "characters that are no to the series" as him saying that unlike the smash 4, theres no returning characters as dlc (for obvious reasons) but im sure this has been said before so w/e

anyway hi!! i made a account so i can interact here albeit nervous about it because ive been lurking for quite a while. also if i was added to supporters that'd be epic thanks

i kinda lost hope for geno but you guys have revived that hope. i really want him to be dlc and become the star he deserve to be! (pun intended)

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Now I think you are just pulling strings.

A Hat in Time was based on Banjo-Kazooie and Super Mario Sunshine, so I guess it is only acceptable to have Banjo Kazooie be playable and give Hat Kid the FLUDD as an accessory.

Also not to soft moderate or sound harsh but I want to remind you that this isn't Sora's thread. It is Geno's thread. The only time Sora is brought up is regarding comparisons to Geno. We don't normally discuss his chances as an individual. Mainly considering he has already been written off by multiple insiders.
As far as I'm concerned, Sora is back in the running. The only things he really had going against him was that he was a Disney rep and that it was a bit early as Nintendo had nothing to promote if they chose him. Now half that argument is out the window because Joker doesn't promote anything other than fan requests and Sakurai bias, and the last time a Sakurai conversed with a friend regarding Smash they got us Snake. Guess who else is friends with Sakurai...

No leaker is credible and nothing anyone says about DLC should be thought about more than once because the only thing we know is that we know nothing.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Well; I think vaati counts? Not on Geno levels; of course.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
According to Hitagi prototyping for DLC was happening since summer, and DLC negotiations were finalized around as earlier as May maybe even earlier.

If this is true, it could explain how Verge knows the SE rep. Or maybe May was the SE Rep negotiation and the last one was finalized when Sakurai made that tweet?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I feel like that's realistic, honestly. 4 of 7 of Smash 4's DLC characters were from existing franchises in Smash so I don't expect all 5 to be totally new. Based on what's come out in recent days, I'm more steadfast in believing Square Enix and Namco will be getting new reps but not necessarily from stand alone (AKA new) series. SEGA, Konami, and Capcom all have three reps now so I think they'll let the last two play catch up. I believe this also explains the inconclusive Monster Hunter data found in the game and the narrative going around that a rep was considered very, very early on but ultimately dropped for whatever reason.
'
I don't know about your sources, but there was someone on 4chan that apparently claimed to know about Joker. If the persons list are true we are getting (outside of Joker)

A square rep
Banjo Kazooie
Edelgard from Fire emblem Three Houses
Sylux from Metroid

Here's the link to it https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/440346534/
And honestly... I wouldn't be surprised if this one is real. If it was, we would have majority fan favorite third-party choices mixed together with some promotional DLC from the two games that are arguably Nintendos biggest games next year. On top of that, Fire Emblem is getting its own expo next year which feels like it's a sign of them wanting to push that franchise next year.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
According to Hitagi prototyping for DLC was happening since summer, and DLC negotiations were finalized around as earlier as May maybe even earlier.

If this is true, it could explain how Verge knows the SE rep. Or maybe May was the SE Rep negotiation and the last one was finalized when Sakurai made that tweet?
I don't really trust a single thing Hitagi says.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

After how much Hitagi has flipflopped I don't trust him one bit. Hitagi feels like yet another Lolz18 tbh

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Not to join the "DON'T TRUST INSIDERS" train but I'm starting to doubt even the most reputable insiders regarding DLC.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Not to join the "DON'T TRUST INSIDERS" train but I'm starting to doubt even the most reputable insiders regarding DLC.
I agree, especially characters wise, but I also don’t want to completely rule out potential possibilities. I have no reason to completely DISTRUST Hitagi, they may not know who DLC is but I do believe they know some things, and some things they say, if true, could explain some things. Similar to the SE Negotiation Informstjon

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
'
I don't know about your sources, but there was someone on 4chan that apparently claimed to know about Joker. If the persons list are true we are getting (outside of Joker)

A square rep
Banjo Kazooie
Sylux from Metroid

And honestly... I wouldn't be surprised if this one is real. If it was, we would have majority fan favorite third-party choices mixed together with some promotional DLC from the two games that are arguably Nintendos biggest games next year. On top of that, Fire Emblem is getting its own expo next year which feels like it's a sign of them wanting to push that franchise next year.
I'll talk more about this later. I still say monkeys and typewriters. I'll also say that "no insiders are credible" is pretty harsh given that I know a lot of people knew the base game by mid August. Also like I've mentioned, PolarPanda's source has yet to be wrong and I can verify that he works for Nintendo and know enough about him that I could probably ask the dude out for lunch if I lived anywhere near him. Yes, DLC is a big question mark but to say that nobody knows anything and nobody is credible is objectively false. Yeah, Vergeben kind of sucks but people are gloating a little too hard right now, just like they did after the K. Rool reveal.

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
To be honest after Joker’s reveal I threw every insider out the window except for Polar, I still trust him.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The most reputable insider, as far as I can tell so far, has been Polar's ambassador source, and even they admitted that no one knows who the DLC is. Rumors are abound, such as the Geno rumor, but it's just that: rumors. With that being taken into account, I honestly don't trust any of the other 'insiders' if they say they know who DLC is. It's all speculative on their parts right now.

Besides, with Joker's reveal, it's clear that no one saw that coming (including Vergeben, no matter how much he tries to backpedal). No one knows, and Joker confirmed that for us.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'll talk more about this later. I still say monkeys and typewriters. I'll also say that "no insiders are credible" is pretty harsh given that I know a lot of people knew the base game by mid August. Also like I've mentioned, PolarPanda's source has yet to be wrong and I can verify that he works for Nintendo and know enough about him that I could probably ask the dude out for lunch if I lived anywhere near him. Yes, DLC is a big question mark but to say that nobody knows anything and nobody is credible is objectively false. Yeah, Vergeben kind of sucks but people are gloating a little too hard right now, just like they did after the K. Rool reveal.
We are strictly talking ABOUT DLC though, in which case NO ONE can be trusted. Verge was wrong, Hitagi was wrong, xeno isn't credible and the only thing we really have from Panda is that no one knows what the DLC line up is. I mentioned this a while ago (couple days in reality) that NO ONE KNOWS should also envelope Vegeben and the other leakers we've been desperately begging for more from.

Verge getting the base game is great and all, but that isn't DLC and this whole new ball game doesn't even have Verge playing shortstop, much less an actually important position, and the rest aren't even on a team but just loud obnoxious fans in the background with their chests painted to resemble the fake info they have.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yes and no. Yeah, a lot of them have shot themselves in the foot. Hitagi and Xenother spoke in absolutes and Vergeben finally caved when it came to Minecraft. I do, however, think Square is still getting at least one new rep because there's simply been too many people saying it for absolutely everyone to be wrong and Lloyd/Yuri as a Namco rep is still on the table. Aside from that, yeah, it's the Wild West, I'll give you all that.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
'

A square rep
Banjo Kazooie
Sylux from Metroid

But doesn’t no one know the DLC? Didn’t someone say Edelgard was de confirmed?

And like they did with the Grinch Leak. I learned that Verge is pretty often right and just throwing out his info is often not the best move

We are strictly talking ABOUT DLC though, in which case NO ONE can be trusted. Verge was wrong, Hitagi was wrong, xeno isn't credible and the only thing we really have from Panda is that no one knows what the DLC line up is. I mentioned this a while ago (couple days in reality) that NO ONE KNOWS should also envelope Vegeben and the other leakers we've been desperately begging for more from.

Verge getting the base game is great and all, but that isn't DLC and this whole new ball game doesn't even have Verge playing shortstop, much less an actually important position, and the rest aren't even on a team but just loud obnoxious fans in the background with their chests painted to resemble the fake info they have.
I don’t think Verge or even Xeno was wrong. Verge never said when MC was coming out so that’s an unknown variable. He was only wrong by saying SE is the first DLC which is understandable because no one knew about Joker. He might’ve assumed that given his information, but Hitagi’s claim could line up to how he knows about the SE rep, it COULD and the second one. We don’t know if all five were finalized at the same time.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Yes and no. Yeah, a lot of them have shot themselves in the foot. Hitagi and Xenother spoke in absolutes and Vergeben finally caved when it came to Minecraft. I do, however, think Square is still getting at least one new rep because there's simply been too many people saying it for absolutely everyone to be wrong and Lloyd/Yuri as a Namco rep is still on the table. Aside from that, yeah, it's the Wild West, I'll give you all that.
Man; as an Isaac fan, I hope we at least get Lloyd.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

And like they did with the Grinch Leak. I learned that Verge is pretty often right and just throwing out his info is often not the best move

I don’t think Verge or even Xeno was wrong. Verge never said when MC was coming out so that’s an unknown variable. He was only wrong by saying SE is the first DLC which is understandable because no one knew about Joker. He might’ve assumed that given his information, but Hitagi’s claim could line up to how he knows about the SE rep, it COULD and the second one. We don’t know if all five were finalized at the same time.
So you're saying...Verge was wrong?
If he said Squenix would be the first DLC announced and it wasn't, he's simply wrong.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Unless I've missed something, no she isn't.
And like I wrote on that post.
A) I don't think we should discount the possibility of at least one or two "promotional material"
B) Fire Emblem Three Houses and Metroid Prime 4 is arguably their biggest games next year which is why someone like Edelgard would make sense for promotional DLC
C) Nintendo is giving Fire emblem its own expo.

I would honestly be more surprised if an FE TH rep isn't in because of all this.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
So you're saying...Verge was wrong?
If he said Squenix would be the first DLC announced and it wasn't, he's simply wrong.
He said that Simon was going to be announced at E3, but he later was revealed in August.... Could just be something similar here with Square rep

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I admit, I'm still confused on to how Joker is being spun into a positive light for Geno even after catching up on the past few pages. Like I understand that he throws the insiders out the window, and that has the potential to be good. But beyond that I just don't see it as anything. He comes from a really popular and long running series in Persona/Shin Megami Tensei. There's a pretty massive heritage to buy into with a character from that side of things . He's had a recent big name game in the industry, Persona Q2 is coming to Nintendo consoles and rumors have been circling of a Persona 5 port to Switch (Which would definitely push him towards shill territory). Maybe those have come out since his announcement, but people have talked about that for a while and it's not exactly impossible either. Sega and Atlus do get along well with Nintendo, and there's a precedent for a portable re-release of Persona games. He had some requests, but wasn't mega popular either. I don't think the decision entirely rests on satisfying a niche crowd either. Persona is just another big crossover moment to have for Smash.

Like I just don't see it affecting Geno one way or the other. Joker is just about the most useless DLC possible in terms of predicting what comes next or how it impacts the rest of the season. Reggie's comments might be a little more inspiring for Geno, but I absolutely do not see Joker impacted Geno's chances in any way. I think we're more or less where we were before his reveal.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Looks awesome, I didn't played the game yet! Are the characters the only thing that you have to unlock or there are other things too, like Mii Costumes, Musics, Stages, etc? I really like to unlock contents in games, especially in Smash. Smash 4 and Brawl had so much things: trophies, musics, characters, stages, mii costumes, stickers, custom parts, etc... But people are saying that in this game we just have the spirits and characters to unlock, and that SSBU almost has no new musics... I'm asking you instead of Google it to avoid spoilers, but is it true? I hope not, I hope not, I hope not...
You shouldn't be disappointed. Let me clarify: there aren't a lot of new remixes per franchise, but in all the series/franchises, there are A LOT of new remixes. You can unlock Mii costumes through classic mode or through the shop, and you can "buy" spirits by summoning them with spirit cores. I have Geno's spirit in my summoning shop right now but I don't have enough for him, which is what I'm trying to do right now because I want that Geno spirit. Still no sign of Mallow, though.

You'll spend most of your Smash Ultimate career unlocking spirits rather than fighters, but even after 8 hours, I still haven't unlocked all the characters yet because I spend most of my time battling rather than speedrunning to unlock the fighters. I have about five more characters left to unlock.

It's quite a shame that all the stages are unlocked... I wish we started with 53 stages and could unlock the other 50. I guess it evens it out with characters and stages, though? All stages from the go, but 66 characters to unlock; it seems balanced this way, but I wish we could unlock some stages, too.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
its beause verge has bias and it shows. regardless of what hes gotten correct box theory was coined by people before him, and he was wrong about k rool and daisy.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I'm honestly thinking if there's gonna be any shill characters, they're gonna be previously established, at the very least have had a game before 2017, and have a decent sized fan base. (probably a niche fan base) So I'm really doubting Edlegard and a new Pokémon too. Also kinda doubting Sylux as he didn't really get disscussed very often until people thought he could be a shill for Metroid Prime 4.

Anyone else's feel similarly?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Edit: And by Vaati I mean Veran from OoA which is a completely different character. Oops

Still though I don’t think Vaati comes close to Geno/SMRPG in terms of fan support.
Oh, I didn’t mean to imply that Vaati was anywhere close to Geno in Smash support, just that he’s extremely popular with Zelda fans.
Sega created Bayonetta.

Had to say I love your profile pic.
Speaking of Vaati, does Capcom own him or does Nintendo? Because he doesn't ever get reference in Zelda games or Smash Bros. at all.
Dunno, I think Nintendo just doesn’t like to use another company’s creation, but as far as credits go he should be owned by Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom