• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Sylux could happen by that logic because he was in Prime Hunters which did have it's demo prepackaged with the DS

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm honestly thinking if there's gonna be any shill characters, they're gonna be previously established, at the very least have had a game before 2017, and have a decent sized fan base. (probably a niche fan base) So I'm really doubting Edlegard and a new Pokémon too. Also kinda doubting Sylux as he didn't really get disscussed very often until people thought he could be a shill for Metroid Prime 4.

Anyone else's feel similarly?
Yeah; I think so too. I didn't feel that way before the Joker; but I feel that way now. So characters like Eevee, Sylux, Porky etc.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Yeah; I think so too. I didn't feel that way before the Joker; but I feel that way now. So characters like Eevee, Sylux, Porky etc.
Is Porky even a shill? Like I get his inclusion could be used to also advertise Mother 3 being officially ported to NA but still, I feel like he's a requested character and really Mother 3 doesn't need advertised. Sylux maybe as that would be advertising the new game potentially, but Porky? Nah.

i recall him saying they weren't in the game.
Never happened. One of his sources said K. Rool wasn't in but he didn't trust it since it wasn't a shared statement from all his sources, then LOZer18 took that PM with Verge and made it public without permission.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Is Porky even a shill? Like I get his inclusion could be used to also advertise Mother 3 being officially ported to NA but still, I feel like he's a requested character and really Mother 3 doesn't need advertised. Sylux maybe as that would be advertising the new game potentially, but Porky? Nah.

Never happened. One of his sources said K. Rool wasn't in but he didn't trust it since it wasn't a shared statement from all his sources, then LOZer18 took that PM with Verge and made it public without permission.
He's only a shill technically, and that's only if we get a Mother 3 port.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Anything major happen on the updates front? Been playing Ultimate for all of yesterday and earlier this morning and DB FighterZ right now.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

I think Ninten would be a shill if there was a new Mother localization next year as he's not spoilery and it's his anniversary next year.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mother 1 is already localized, so adding Ninten as a later echo is barely a shill option. On the other hand, if Mother 3 got localized and Porky was added, that is more of a shill in comparison.

...Not that I honestly believe we're likely to get a strict advertisement character. Corrin was only partially chosen for that. His moveset being unique is what actually made Sakurai say yes. Corrin was more of case of being on a list of advertisement choices. But the real factor is his uniqueness. One had more importance than the other. Roy is actually more of an advertisement character, since his game was not released yet and he didn't even have uniqueness going for him. It was just a fun suggestion Sakurai got and worked with, making his own Roy personality too. And if it weren't for the clone factor, he wouldn't have gotten in either.

Basically? There is no real shill option. It's because it's never the sole factor. It at best helps to figure out a potential choice, but there's also more to it than meets the eye.

That said, I still hope Geno gets in. Him being a Spirit base roster might make him feel more unexpected as DLC, so he could meet the "unexpected bit" that Reggie spoke of.

D

Deleted member

Mother 1 is already localized, so adding Ninten as a later echo is barely a shill option. On the other hand, if Mother 3 got localized and Porky was added, that is more of a shill in comparison.

...Not that I honestly believe we're likely to get a strict advertisement character. Corrin was only partially chosen for that. His moveset being unique is what actually made Sakurai say yes. Corrin was more of case of being on a list of advertisement choices. But the real factor is his uniqueness. One had more importance than the other. Roy is actually more of an advertisement character, since his game was not released yet and he didn't even have uniqueness going for him. It was just a fun suggestion Sakurai got and worked with, making his own Roy personality too. And if it weren't for the clone factor, he wouldn't have gotten in either.

Basically? There is no real shill option. It's because it's never the sole factor. It at best helps to figure out a potential choice, but there's also more to it than meets the eye.

That said, I still hope Geno gets in. Him being a Spirit base roster might make him feel more unexpected as DLC, so he could meet the "unexpected bit" that Reggie spoke of.
Or Ninten could be a unique character :) He can use PK beam from Ana from Mother 1 as his nuetral b, throw a boomerang as his side b, use 4th-D-Slip as his up b, PK shield as his down b, and his final smash could be him, Ana, and Loid singing the 8 melodies, or EVE attacking his opponents

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I highly doubt we get a Mother character period, even with a localization of Mother 3 if that happens. Mother is quite possibly the most well represented franchise proportionally to general status as a franchise. That's generally why I pushed back on the whole Porky as DLC movement that started a couple weeks ago from the lack of his spirit. He'd certainly be the most unique in his mech of the Mother characters, but there is pretty much zero incentive to put another one in the game at this point. There's no large fan base for any of the characters making requests, there is no future possible for the franchise as long as Itoi stands firm on the franchise ending, and a localization of Mother 3 sells itself. There's nothing to shill there even with that, and just not a whole lot of reason to include one outside of, "Yeah, that'd be a cool character."

DLC is anything but obvious at this point. Sylux, Porkey, Adelaine, etc. all get thrown out with the inclusion of Joker in my mind. He pretty much invalidated all of the blossoming speculation on the cycle.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Alright, here's the main takeaway: Edelgard is the new Lyn and I think the one 4chan post was just koala-bearing off people's basic expectations of DLC because it's "safe." People have basically attached themselves to the character because she appears to be the most unique between her, Dimitri, and Claude. The trailer shows she can use axes and I think it's been suggested that she can do magic too. A magic using axe user does sound badass but she's not the main character. She's a secondary character. The main character is Byleth. The story is told from his perspective. It's unclear if he's a customizable avatar or not but that's irrelevant. Smash has never added secondary characters first for Fire Emblem. Lucina came with Robin and Chrom came with this game (in more ways than one, ZING!). Lucina and Chrom are both echoes. That should be telling enough. Marth, Ike, Roy, Robin, and Corrin are all the lead characters of their respective games. Lyn has been an assist trophy since Brawl and Edelgard's role in Three Houses is almost identical in premise to the one that Lyn had in Fire Emblem: the Blazing Blade. This all being said, if Three Houses gets a playable character, it's going to be Byleth based on 17 years of character additions in Smash. It's literally Lyn, Hector, and Eliwood all over again.

Beyond this, does Fire Emblem really NEED more content? Is there really that much they can do with the series in Smash at this given time? It has 4 totally unique characters, 2 echoes (1 is all new), a semi clone, 3 stages, 3 assist trophies (2 are brand new), an item (brand new), 40 spirits, and 37 music tracks (with 10 brand new remixes). That's incredibly generous by all accounts especially when it's not even one of Nintendo's S tier series. Keep in mind that the DLC packs are a character, a stage, and more music. When Corrin came, it was just the character and like two music tracks. There is absolutely no reason to show this degree of favortism towards Fire Emblem. It doesn't need advertising. Sakurai practically put a gun in his mouth when they asked him to put in Corrin and now they're supposed to do yet another? Chrom was copy and paste with some adjustments, this is an entirely new character from the ground up. Corrin was also meant to not just advertise one game but technically THREE so that makes a lot more sense than one game on what's rapidly becoming what may wind up being Nintendo's most successful platform of all time.

This all said, my arguments against Sylux are practically the same. Metroid now has 3 unique characters (1 new to this game), 1 echo (new to this game), 4 stages, 2 assist trophies, an item, and 25 music tracks with 7 being new to Ultimate, It's also a series that's plenty well represented given its size and Metroid Prime 3 doesn't really need advertising given the Switch is a runaway success. This isn't to say that Edelgard and Sylux can't happen, I'm just saying people are banking on them way too hard despite the fact that both Fire Emblem and Metroid have had an avalanche on new content in this game. On top of this, Roy and Corrin are literally the only two "shill" characters in the entire history of the series. 5 of the 7 Smash 4 DLC characters were pure fan demand with Ryu being the most iconic fighting game crossover character ever, bar none. Almost 20 years of Smash and now people are expecting them to do two shill characters within months of each other, despite the fact that we just got Joker, a character whose main game is currently only available for the PS3 and PS4? In the end, it's not impossible for either but I think people need to take a step back and realize that both would be huge anomalies with everything that I've mentioned here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I highly doubt we get a Mother character period, even with a localization of Mother 3 if that happens. Mother is quite possibly the most well represented franchise proportionally to general status as a franchise. That's generally why I pushed back on the whole Porky as DLC movement that started a couple weeks ago from the lack of his spirit. He'd certainly be the most unique in his mech of the Mother characters, but there is pretty much zero incentive to put another one in the game at this point. There's no large fan base for any of the characters making requests, there is no future possible for the franchise as long as Itoi stands firm on the franchise ending, and a localization of Mother 3 sells itself. There's nothing to shill there even with that, and just not a whole lot of reason to include one outside of, "Yeah, that'd be a cool character."

DLC is anything but obvious at this point. Sylux, Porkey, Adelaine, etc. all get thrown out with the inclusion of Joker in my mind. He pretty much invalidated all of the blossoming speculation on the cycle.
Next year is the 30th anniversary of the Mother series, and Mother is getting a lot of attention this game. All of its stages are returning, there are many Mother spirits, including Ninten, Ana, Loid, Teddy, EVE, Paula, Poo, Buzz Buzz, Ness's dad, the phone, from Earthbound, Master Belch, Dungeon Man, Flint, Hinawa, Kumatora, Duster, Masked Man, Claus, and ASC. The Ramblin Evil Mushroom is an item. There are no Mother 1 reps yet, so I think adding the protagonist of the first game, Ninten, would make a lot of sense

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Alright, here's the main takeaway: Edelgard is the new Lyn and I think the one 4chan post was just koala-bearing off people's basic expectations of DLC because it's "safe." People have basically attached themselves to the character because she appears to be the most unique between her, Dimitri, and Claude. The trailer shows she can use axes and I think it's been suggested that she can do magic too. A magic using axe user does sound badass but she's not the main character. She's a secondary character. The main character is Byleth. The story is told from his perspective. It's unclear if he's a customizable avatar or not but that's irrelevant. Smash has never added secondary characters first for Fire Emblem. Lucina came with Robin and Chrom came with this game (in more ways than one, ZING!). Lucina and Chrom are both echoes. That should be telling enough. Marth, Ike, Roy, Robin, and Corrin are all the lead characters of their respective games. Lyn has been an assist trophy since Brawl and Edelgard's role in Three Houses is almost identical in premise to the one that Lyn had in Fire Emblem: the Blazing Blade. This all being said, if Three Houses gets a playable character, it's going to be Byleth based on 17 years of character additions in Smash. It's literally Lyn, Hector, and Eliwood all over again.

Beyond this, does Fire Emblem really NEED more content? Is there really that much they can do with the series in Smash at this given time? It has 4 totally unique characters, 2 echoes (1 is all new), a semi clone, 3 stages, 3 assist trophies (2 are brand new), an item (brand new), 40 spirits, and 37 music tracks (with 10 brand new remixes). That's incredibly generous by all accounts especially when it's not even one of Nintendo's AAA series. Keep in mind that the DLC packs are a character, a stage, and more music. When Corrin came, it was just the character and like two music tracks. There is absolutely no reason to show this degree of favortism towards Fire Emblem. It doesn't need advertising. Sakurai practically put a gun in his mouth when they asked him to put in Corrin and now they're supposed to do yet another? Chrom was copy and paste with some adjustments, this is an entirely new character from the ground up. Corrin was also meant to not just advertise one game but technically THREE so that makes a lot more sense than one game on what's rapidly becoming what may wind up being Nintendo's most successful platform of all time.

This all said, my arguments against Sylux are practically the same. Metroid now has 3 unique characters (1 new to this game), 1 echo (new to this game), 4 stages, 2 assist trophies, an item, and 25 music tracks with 7 being new to Ultimate, It's also a series that's plenty well represented given its size and Metroid Prime 3 doesn't really need advertising given the Switch is a runaway success. This isn't to say that Edelgard and Sylux can't happen, I'm just saying people are banking on them way too hard despite the fact that both Fire Emblem and Metroid have had an avalanche on new content in this game. On top of this, Roy and Corrin are literally the only two "shill" characters in the entire history of the series. 5 of the 7 Smash 4 DLC characters were pure fan demand with Ryu being the most iconic fighting game crossover character ever, bar none. Almost 20 years of Smash and now people are expecting them to do two shill characters within months of each other, despite the fact that we just got Joker, a character whose main game is currently only available for the PS3 and PS4? In the end, it's not impossible for either but I think people need to take a step back and realize that both would be huge anomalies with everything that I've mentioned here.
Fire Emblem is absolutely an AAA series at this point.

That's all I have to say here tho.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Finally unlocked the remaining 66 characters in Ultimate, now to continue on with Smash Bros Infinity War, er, I mean World of Light. :p

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Next year is the 30th anniversary of the Mother series, and Mother is getting a lot of attention this game. All of its stages are returning, there are many Mother spirits, including Ninten, Ana, Loid, Teddy, EVE, Paula, Poo, Buzz Buzz, Ness's dad, the phone, from Earthbound, Master Belch, Dungeon Man, Flint, Hinawa, Kumatora, Duster, Masked Man, Claus, and ASC. The Ramblin Evil Mushroom is an item. There are no Mother 1 reps yet, so I think adding the protagonist of the first game, Ninten, would make a lot of sense
Nintendo has let far more important anniversaries go by without mention. I suspect Mother will be no different. I don't think Spirits mean much of anything to show interest in characters or franchises considering there is almost 1300 of them. Similarly, the stages all returned because they were all unique and didn't have any qualities that would have made them difficult to implement. Mother 1 wasn't even conceived of as a thing to Western audiences and mostly got a "Neat, this feels like prototype Earthbound" reception when Beginnings was localized. I don't see any reason to have a Mother 1 rep in the game outside of, "Well it would be neat to have one from each game in." You also just have the fact that Ninten more or less looks exactly like Ness, which is only going to cause confusion and probably more frustration than Joker/Piranha Plant/etc. ever could dream of.

I'm pretty sure Ninten is one of your most requested, so I'm sorry if this comes off harsh, but I just don't think he makes any sense whatsoever. I don't have necessarily any problem with him, I just don't see him as a sensible pick and that generally applies to Mother as a whole as well. In part, because of the things you mentioned, it's already repped incredibly well for the three games that constitute the entirety of the series.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
so ive spent the past 2 days playing ultimate and good lord am i loving k rool. have i missed anything big after the games launch?

IGOSODAMNHAM

Smash Rookie
I ran into Geno in Smash Ultimate. Been wanting him in Smash since I played Smash 64 and Super Mario RPG when I was younger, so obviously I am rooting for him hard.

Spoilers below.

https://i.imgur.com/23GZPOJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/H5eq72y.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Ddc4jpk.jpg

1. He has no Mii skin confirmed.
2. He is set to Legend (the strongest you can get) for Spirits.
3. The battle is Mario who starts with a shell as a throw back to Super Mario RPG. Kirby who is gray for Mallow, although odd I thought she would be yellow. Bowser also. Then comes Peach. Geno is set to Sheirk, who starts with the Super Scope and is set to use lets of her B throwing darts or w/e attack.
4. The music was Rainbow Road.
5. Is is near the end of the game.
6. I also ran into Mallow.

As for him being a spirit, I think it decreases his chances of being in Smash. Not one spirit that I ran into was a character currently in the game or planned for DLC. Mario Tennis is a character, and that was the closest. I find it odd how they removed his Mii skin though. I kind of think that if he was to be a character, they wouldn't have put him in the game like this, as I don't see Piranha Plant, or Joker, or any other characters as Spirits on the map. Honestly, his best bet is to be in the 2nd DLC or the next Smash Bros. If they were going to add him soon, I just don't think they would have put him as a Spirit on the map, but it would be a nice surprise if they added him anyway.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Nintendo has let far more important anniversaries go by without mention. I suspect Mother will be no different. I don't think Spirits mean much of anything to show interest in characters or franchises considering there is almost 1300 of them. Similarly, the stages all returned because they were all unique and didn't have any qualities that would have made them difficult to implement. Mother 1 wasn't even conceived of as a thing to Western audiences and mostly got a "Neat, this feels like prototype Earthbound" reception when Beginnings was localized. I don't see any reason to have a Mother 1 rep in the game outside of, "Well it would be neat to have one from each game in." You also just have the fact that Ninten more or less looks exactly like Ness, which is only going to cause confusion and probably more frustration than Joker/Piranha Plant/etc. ever could dream of.

I'm pretty sure Ninten is one of your most requested, so I'm sorry if this comes off harsh, but I just don't think he makes any sense whatsoever. I don't have necessarily any problem with him, I just don't see him as a sensible pick and that generally applies to Mother as a whole as well. In part, because of the things you mentioned, it's already repped incredibly well for the three games that constitute the entirety of the series.
But he'd be unexpected correct? I don't expect everyone to be 100% on board with him in, but throwing him out because you personally feel Mother is already represented enough isn't entirely fair in my opinion. And design is not a good argument when Marth and Lucina look nearly identical.

Guess we'll see in the spring.

Last edited:

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I ran into Geno in Smash Ultimate. Been wanting him in Smash since I played Smash 64 and Super Mario RPG when I was younger, so obviously I am rooting for him hard.

Spoilers below.

3. The battle is Mario who starts with a shell as a throw back to Super Mario RPG. Kirby who is gray for Mallow, although odd I thought she would be yellow. Bowser also. Then comes Peach. Geno is set to Sheirk, who starts with the Super Scope and is set to use lets of her B throwing darts or w/e attack.

As for him being a spirit, I think it decreases his chances of being in Smash. Not one spirit that I ran into was a character currently in the game or planned for DLC. Mario Tennis is a character, and that was the closest. I find it odd how they removed his Mii skin though. I kind of think that if he was to be a character, they wouldn't have put him in the game like this, as I don't see Piranha Plant, or Joker, or any other characters as Spirits on the map. Honestly, his best bet is to be in the 2nd DLC or the next Smash Bros. If they were going to add him soon, I just don't think they would have put him as a Spirit on the map, but it would be a nice surprise if they added him anyway.
You've missed a LOT of discussion on whether or not spirits deconfirm a character.

paper roxy

Smash Ace

Spoilers below.

this is all old news to most people here, and ive ran into quite a few spirits that were technically playable (the different versions of other characters, pikmin) so unless spirits deconfirm pikmin in olimars moveset and wii fit trainers moves are deconfirmed, i dont see spirits deconfirming.

also, no offense but you probably shouldnt come to the thread with old info and why you think geno wont be in. we've kinda had that a lot in the past few weeks

Last edited:

IGOSODAMNHAM

Smash Rookie
No I haven't, I've read along I just had nothing to post until now. As someone who has put 20 hours into the game World of Light mode already, and I know how the Spirts work. I would say they deconfirmed characters in the near future if they are on the Map itself, as Geno is. No other character who is on the roster, or planed for DLC is on the Map. Until we get a DLC who turns out to be a Spirit ON THE MAP, then I will think that his chances are decreased by this.

There are some good things Geno has going for him.

His Spirit is set to Primary, and Legend. That means he is set to the main Spirit, and the Strongest you can be.
He is right near the end of the game at a hard to miss location.
He is obviously being acknowledged.
The removal of his Mii outfit may point to him being a Character in the future, as what other reason to remove it would there be? They kept a lot of Mii Outfits and used them for the Spirits location and battle on the Map. Geno had to be replaced by Sheirk. It's not like Square said they couldn't use him, as he is in the game. That I this is the best evidence for Geno being added there is IMO.

I beat every single spirit, might have missed a few. I did not see one that was on the Roster as a character. Those are just facts. The closest was Mario Tennis for Mario.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, been crazy busy with Smash and organizing a release party (it's tonight!), grinding out unlocks using the ten minute method so everyone will be available to use at the shindig. Finally got it down to just four: :ultbowserjr::ultpalutena::ultmewtwo::ultdarkpit:. Should be able to knock those out in time. But seriously, were the unlock fights SUPER difficult for anyone else? Like, level 8 cpu difficult? I got bodied by freaking Toon Link, of all people...
I ground to unlock the characters the first two nights and got all of them. I know what you mean though for the Challengers being tough, Pit and Cloud each took like 4 or 5 attempts. I've REALLY come to dislike the materia on midgar.

EDIT: whoops, did realize I was a few pages back lol.

Last edited:

IGOSODAMNHAM

Smash Rookie
like we said, this is old info that we've talked about at length
And I have found no good reason to deny that this decreases his chances. I've wanted him for almost 20 years now in Smash, he is by far my most wanted followed by Issac and few others., but I am not going to ignore evidence when I see it.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Beyond this, does Fire Emblem really NEED more content? Is there really that much they can do with the series in Smash at this given time? It has 4 totally unique characters, 2 echoes (1 is all new), a semi clone, 3 stages, 3 assist trophies (2 are brand new), an item (brand new), 40 spirits, and 37 music tracks (with 10 brand new remixes). That's incredibly generous by all accounts especially when it's not even one of Nintendo's S tier series. Keep in mind that the DLC packs are a character, a stage, and more music. When Corrin came, it was just the character and like two music tracks. There is absolutely no reason to show this degree of favortism towards Fire Emblem. It doesn't need advertising. Sakurai practically put a gun in his mouth when they asked him to put in Corrin and now they're supposed to do yet another? Chrom was copy and paste with some adjustments, this is an entirely new character from the ground up. Corrin was also meant to not just advertise one game but technically THREE so that makes a lot more sense than one game on what's rapidly becoming what may wind up being Nintendo's most successful platform of all time.

While I see what you mean with Edelgard (aka it's probably Byleth if FE TH would get a rep)... I do think we are getting FE TH rep and Metroid (but most likely Fe TH)
If Sakurai really was that against more Fire emblem characters but needed someone that could be easy, he should have taken Shadow as an echo for Sonic. I mean the model was already there.

And like I said above. Fire Emblem and Metroid are arguably the two biggest games next year (the only one that would overthrow Metroid would be if Generation 8 came out next year) and we all know that Nintendo had their big focus on Let's Go and Smash this year. They are more than likely going to hit hard with them as they did with Let's go and Ultimate. I mean, Fire Emblem getting its own expo isn't significant enough that they are going to push Fire emblem next year or what?

Yes, I know that Fire Emblem and Metroid got a **** ton of stuff, but we have to remember that Nintendo gave him a list... and considering Sakurai's love for Persona. What's not to say a character like Joker was their way to throw him a bone in order to get that they wanted specifically? That's not out of the question

Just because Joker got in, doesn't mean that there won't be characters that are on Nintendos agenda.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My whole thought on the spirit battles is that they tried to make them as authentic as possible. For example, when you fight the Takamaru spirit, it's the Mii Swordsman in the Takamaru outfit and you fight on Suzaku Castle with the Mysterious Murasame Castle Theme blaring in the background. With the Skull Kid spirit, it's the Mii Brawler in the Skull outfit with two "fairies" (I think they were Kirbys IIRC) on Forest of Hope with fog and Saria's theme. There's no reason they couldn't have done the Geno outfit if that was all they intended for him. Yes, all the third party Mii outfits are gone but all the corresponding spirits could be matched by playable characters anyways. Megaman pretty much covers Protoman, Megaman X, Megaman EXE, and Zero for example. There's no Monster Hunter, Heihachi, Gil, Lloyd, or Jacky spirits. Akira is probably Ryu, Knuckles is probably Sonic, and Tails could be either Sonic or Fox. All of these would be appropriate fits. Sheik is nothing like Geno. It's a huge stretch and the easiest way to clean their hands of the whole thing would have been to just use the Mii Gunner outfit but they didn't. They did a very awkward fit and it doesn't prove anything but it does make me think.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
And I have found no good reason to deny that this decreases his chances. I've wanted him for almost 20 years now in Smash, he is by far my most wanted followed by Issac and few others., but I am not going to ignore evidence when I see it.
the only evidence for spirits deconfirming is circumstancial, and no offense but a lot of us are tired of new accounts coming in with multiple week old info and why they think it deconfirms geno. if you think sakurai's team would keep him from using 1.3k characters because they put pngs of them in the game, cool, but everyone here has talked at length about this and nothing new is being talked about with this

Last edited:

IGOSODAMNHAM

Smash Rookie
My whole thought on the spirit battles is that they tried to make them as authentic as possible. For example, when you fight the Takamaru spirit, it's the Mii Swordsman in the Takamaru outfit and you fight on Suzaku Castle with the Mysterious Murasame Castle Theme blaring in the background. With the Skull Kid spirit, it's the Mii Brawler in the Skull outfit with two "fairies" (I think they were Kirbys IIRC) on Forest of Hope with fog and Saria's theme. There's no reason they couldn't have done the Geno outfit if that was all they intended for him. Yes, all the third party Mii outfits are gone but all the corresponding spirits could be matched by playable characters anyways. Megaman pretty much covers Protoman, Megaman X, Megaman EXE, and Zero for example. There's no Monster Hunter, Heihachi, Gil, Lloyd, or Jacky spirits. Akira is probably Ryu, Knuckles is probably Sonic, and Tails could be either Sonic or Fox. All of these would be appropriate fits. Sheik is nothing like Geno. It's a huge stretch and the easiest way to clean their hands of the whole thing would have been to just use the Mii Gunner outfit but they didn't. They did a very awkward fit and it doesn't prove anything but it does make me think.
I guess they went the route and forced Sheik to use her Neutral B over and over so it was like Geno's weapons in Super Mario RPG.

the only evidence for spirits deconfirming is circumstancial, and no offense but a lot of us are tired of new accounts coming in with multiple week old info and why they think it deconfirms geno
You're just ignoring facts and not giving me any reasons why. Anyone who is unbiased could obviously see being a main Spirit on the Map decreases chances. And yea, just block me or make this forum only let old users talk about why Geno is confirmed, I don't know what to tell you.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Icewolff92 Icewolff92 Byleth is literally a blue haired swordsmen and Smash already has 5, 7 if you count male Robin and Corrin's ALTs. I mean...

My guy... This is literally a path that they've walked with every single playable Fire Emblem character except Roy. There's just no good argument for it, a new game be damned.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You're just ignoring facts and not giving me any reasons why. Anyone who is unbiased could obviously see being a main Spirit on the Map decreases chances. And yea, just block me or make this forum only let old users talk about why Geno is confirmed, I don't know what to tell you.
It's really not a matter of ignoring facts. In fact, it's quite the opposite. This is a well-known fact that could count against Geno's chances. Note the keyword, 'well-known'. It's something that's been discussed at length and in circles for a long time, and there's really no point in retreading that ground over and over when the argument always just ends up in all parties becoming more sour, all with no conclusive answer in the end. It's something to keep in mind, but to continue arguing about it now is honestly pointless.

Also, I'm totally new to the forum and have come with realism and a cup of pessimism in my lap, yet I was welcomed into the fold just fine. I promise you that it isn't about forum veteranship or this and that. It's about avoiding playing broken records with no real positive outcome from it.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
gah, joker was such a wildcard character to be announced first. we're really gonna have to wait until the 2nd dlc character for concrete evidence on how the dlc pack really will be.

that being said, joker has given me hopes for non-shill fanpick dlc so im gonna be preordering the dlc pack. hopefully we get a good square rep so some anime sword kids icon isnt on my roster taunting me for the rest of the games lifespan!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
gah, joker was such a wildcard character to be announced first. we're really gonna have to wait until the 2nd dlc character for concrete evidence on how the dlc pack really will be.

that being said, joker has given me hopes for non-shill fanpick dlc so im gonna be preordering the dlc pack. hopefully we get a good square rep so some anime sword kids icon isnt on my roster taunting me for the rest of the games lifespan!
>joker
>'wildcard' character

HEH I

I see what you did there

whether it was intended or not

That's my 'laugh at dumb puns' moment for the day.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
But he'd be unexpected correct? I don't expect everyone to be 100% on board with him in, but throwing him out because you personally feel Mother is already represented enough isn't entirely fair in my opinion. And design is not a good argument when Marth and Lucina look nearly identical.

Guess we'll see in the spring.
I suppose he would be unexpected despite the fact he's also been kind of expected as an Echo since they were first revealed and everybody jumped on the Echo train with regards to every possible choice they could find. That's when he suddenly existed in speculation.

As for the representation, I think it's plenty fair of an argument to make that a game series with 3 games, only one of which was released officially in the United States originally while that one didn't even release in Europe, has two playable characters, four stages that are among the most diverse in styles for a single franchises, two assist trophies, a higher number of trophies and Spirits, and several items.

That's more content than F-Zero, more content than Xenoblade, more content than freaking Animal Crossing. All of which are bigger game series with more releases. The series has largely survived as anything due to cult status and the more recent Virtual Console releases. We're talking about a quite small and fairly niche series that objectively has lots of content already in Smash. No series is ever going to have perfect representation, so the best you can hope for is good. And for the relatively small size and overall audience of Mother, it has probably the best representation of any franchise in pure numbers alone outside of Kid Icarus which is comparatively extremely well represented in the series.

Add to that the fact the number of people asking for another Mother rep is relatively small, and that fan base doesn't generally agree on one rep like we do here with Geno for Super Mario RPG, and you've got nothing but a dramatically steep hill to climb to even get recognized by Nintendo as additional desire for a Mother character.

As for the Marth and Lucina issue. Well, those are Echo fighters and a completely different ball game as a result. Echo fighters and clones, by nature, have to look like the original source. So of course, they're going to look similar. Of course Lucina is a much more recognizable character than Ninten given the success of Awakening. What really busts this issue though, we're confirmed to only be getting unique fighters. Ninten's one shot is basically as a Ness echo fighter, and as far as we know, we're not getting anymore.

I don't believe a Mother rep is possible, and I think Ninten is even less possible by nature of his design. He's extemely close looking to Ness, and he doesn't fit the general sentiment of adding unique characters that has been mentioned before. If he or the other Mother characters had a big enough fan base pushing for him, then we might be having a different conversation, but that's just not how it is.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Huh... interesting note. Super Mario only had 6 new music remixes in this game. In comparison, Fire Emblem had 10, Zelda had 8, Pokemon had 8, Megaman had 17, and Castlevania had 13.

https://nintendosoup.com/full-list-of-super-smash-bros-ultimate-music-tracks/
...and Xenoblade got nothing despite having two other games in the series to pull from. Could they really not get anyone to remix those tracks? I know Final Fantasy was getting nothing because there's no reason for Square to suddenly change its tune, but Bayonetta sure didn't get anything either. Ultimate's music is great, mind you, but it's a bummer that we don't get any new music from series that have awesome music. Maybe DLC can remedy that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom