• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I suppose he would be unexpected despite the fact he's also been kind of expected as an Echo since they were first revealed and everybody jumped on the Echo train with regards to every possible choice they could find. That's when he suddenly existed in speculation.

As for the representation, I think it's plenty fair of an argument to make that a game series with 3 games, only one of which was released officially in the United States originally while that one didn't even release in Europe, has two playable characters, four stages that are among the most diverse in styles for a single franchises, two assist trophies, a higher number of trophies and Spirits, and several items.

That's more content than F-Zero, more content than Xenoblade, more content than freaking Animal Crossing. All of which are bigger game series with more releases. The series has largely survived as anything due to cult status and the more recent Virtual Console releases. We're talking about a quite small and fairly niche series that objectively has lots of content already in Smash. No series is ever going to have perfect representation, so the best you can hope for is good. And for the relatively small size and overall audience of Mother, it has probably the best representation of any franchise in pure numbers alone outside of Kid Icarus which is comparatively extremely well represented in the series.

Add to that the fact the number of people asking for another Mother rep is relatively small, and that fan base doesn't generally agree on one rep like we do here with Geno for Super Mario RPG, and you've got nothing but a dramatically steep hill to climb to even get recognized by Nintendo as additional desire for a Mother character.

As for the Marth and Lucina issue. Well, those are Echo fighters and a completely different ball game as a result. Echo fighters and clones, by nature, have to look like the original source. So of course, they're going to look similar. Of course Lucina is a much more recognizable character than Ninten given the success of Awakening. What really busts this issue though, we're confirmed to only be getting unique fighters. Ninten's one shot is basically as a Ness echo fighter, and as far as we know, we're not getting anymore.

I don't believe a Mother rep is possible, and I think Ninten is even less possible by nature of his design. If he or the other Mother characters had a big enough fan base pushing for him, then we might be having a different conversation, but that's just not how it is.
I'm just going to say this:

It's just your opinion man. You don't have to agree with me. Clearly we both have clearly different opinions on this character.

Let's just agree to disagree.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
i just wanna say that given how nintendo has handled free star allies and mario tennis dlc, its very likely we'll get free echo dlc

IGOSODAMNHAM

Smash Rookie
It's really not a matter of ignoring facts. In fact, it's quite the opposite. This is a well-known fact that could count against Geno's chances. Note the keyword, 'well-known'. It's something that's been discussed at length and in circles for a long time, and there's really no point in retreading that ground over and over when the argument always just ends up in all parties becoming more sour, all with no conclusive answer in the end. It's something to keep in mind, but to continue arguing about it now is honestly pointless.

Also, I'm totally new to the forum and have come with realism and a cup of pessimism in my lap, yet I was welcomed into the fold just fine. I promise you that it isn't about forum veteranship or this and that. It's about avoiding playing broken records with no real positive outcome from it.
Sorry, I made a post that wasn't low effort and get chafed at. I didn't know reading 500 pages of content that has lots of side talk, to make sure I don't post something that has been talked about before is a requirement before posting. Now I know.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Sorry, I made a post that wasn't low effort and get chafed at. I didn't know reading 500 pages of content that has lots of side talk, to make sure I don't post something that has been talked about before is a requirement before posting. Now I know.
no need to be passive agressive, people just arent fans of someone going into a character thread just to say they think the character has a bad chance, especially when its with very old information

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Icewolff92 Icewolff92 Byleth is literally a blue haired swordsmen and Smash already has 5, 7 if you count male Robin and Corrin's ALTs. I mean...

My guy... This is literally a path that they've walked with every single playable Fire Emblem character except Roy. There's just no good argument for it, a new game be damned.
I could care less if Byleth, Edelgard or whoever it would be from that game gets in. But knowing that Nintendo is giving him the options on who to pick, and the signs are that they are pushing FE next year. I can't do anything but expect a Three House rep looking on how Nintendo works. I see where you are coming from but I think you are fooling yourself if you think the chances are as low as you indicate

But even if FE (and/or Metroid) don't gets a "promotional rep" I think we are dumb if we pull the guard down and think everyone will be "Joker styled choices" just because Joker got involved. Especially considering Smash 4 had favorite like Ryu and more importantly Cloud among Corrin and Bayonetta.

If it's not FE or Metroid, I can't see how not at least one or two be promotional material. I mean
Town protagonist (the new RPG from Gamefreak)
King Boo (if Spirits doesn't de-confirm) due to Luigi's Mansion 3
Travis from No more Heroes
As some other examples of games that they could give promotional material

Last edited:

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
About the Joker reveal, I really loved it's a cinematic and not just an in-game reveal, that's what I hated the most about the Smash 4 DLC. I hope the remaining 4 characters also get videos.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
About the Joker reveal, I really loved it's a cinematic and not just an in-game reveal, that's what I hated the most about the Smash 4 DLC. I hope the remaining 4 characters also get videos.
I'd think it would, but I agree. It just feels more proper.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yes, all the third party Mii outfits are gone but all the corresponding spirits could be matched by playable characters anyways. Megaman pretty much covers Protoman, Megaman X, Megaman EXE, and Zero for example. There's no Monster Hunter, Heihachi, Gil, Lloyd, or Jacky spirits. Akira is probably Ryu, Knuckles is probably Sonic, and Tails could be either Sonic or Fox. All of these would be appropriate fits. Sheik is nothing like Geno. It's a huge stretch and the easiest way to clean their hands of the whole thing would have been to just use the Mii Gunner outfit but they didn't. They did a very awkward fit and it doesn't prove anything but it does make me think.
Positively or negatively?

We get Geno revealed Anime style just like Joker... jesus christ the animation would be sub-par
Eh, I think hypothetically if Geno is in his reveal would either be cgi or stop motion or something like that to match the aesthetic of SMRPG.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm just going to say this:

It's just your opinion man. You don't have to agree with me. Clearly we both have clearly different opinions on this character.

Let's just agree to disagree.
I think some things were pretty objective in analyzing the situation (or at least as much as you can do with regards to Smash speculation sometimes). But fair enough.

I’ve mostly been trying to understand the Ninten thing since his name first came up post-E3 and so far I’ve been unable to. I’m not critiquing him as a character all that much, just trying to see why people consider him so likely. Message me if you (or anyone else for that matter) are interested in that discussion.

I’ll let Geno get back to the forefront before the off topic comments come again haha. I just wish something had changed to give us an actual indication of positvit or negativity towards his inclusion so we had something more tangible and new to discuss.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I think some things were pretty objective in analyzing the situation (or at least as much as you can do with regards to Smash speculation sometimes). But fair enough.

I’ve mostly been trying to understand the Ninten thing since his name first came up post-E3 and so far I’ve been unable to. I’m not critiquing him as a character all that much, just trying to see why people consider him so likely. Message me if you (or anyone else for that matter) are interested in that discussion.

I’ll let Geno get back to the forefront before the off topic comments come again haha. I just wish something had changed to give us an actual indication of positvit or negativity towards his inclusion so we had something more tangible and new to discuss.
I have a fair bit of research on him, though I'm going to have to suffer through Finals first as College is finishing up for me next week.

I can agree with that for Geno's speculation. I wish we got more concrete evidence towards or against his inclusion since we're sorta back to where we were before the VGA's. Guess we just gotta be patient.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
God I hope so. My big fear is that this was made specifically for the VGAs and that we'll be back to the more boring style of DLC reveals. Going back and watching the DLC trailers for Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta just feel so flat compared to how awesome of a reveal they should have gotten.

Plus, if we manage to pull off Geno and/or Banjo, I wanna see them in all their glory.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo has let far more important anniversaries go by without mention. I suspect Mother will be no different. I don't think Spirits mean much of anything to show interest in characters or franchises considering there is almost 1300 of them. Similarly, the stages all returned because they were all unique and didn't have any qualities that would have made them difficult to implement. Mother 1 wasn't even conceived of as a thing to Western audiences and mostly got a "Neat, this feels like prototype Earthbound" reception when Beginnings was localized. I don't see any reason to have a Mother 1 rep in the game outside of, "Well it would be neat to have one from each game in." You also just have the fact that Ninten more or less looks exactly like Ness, which is only going to cause confusion and probably more frustration than Joker/Piranha Plant/etc. ever could dream of.

I'm pretty sure Ninten is one of your most requested, so I'm sorry if this comes off harsh, but I just don't think he makes any sense whatsoever. I don't have necessarily any problem with him, I just don't see him as a sensible pick and that generally applies to Mother as a whole as well. In part, because of the things you mentioned, it's already repped incredibly well for the three games that constitute the entirety of the series.
I suppose he would be unexpected despite the fact he's also been kind of expected as an Echo since they were first revealed and everybody jumped on the Echo train with regards to every possible choice they could find. That's when he suddenly existed in speculation.

As for the representation, I think it's plenty fair of an argument to make that a game series with 3 games, only one of which was released officially in the United States originally while that one didn't even release in Europe, has two playable characters, four stages that are among the most diverse in styles for a single franchises, two assist trophies, a higher number of trophies and Spirits, and several items.

That's more content than F-Zero, more content than Xenoblade, more content than freaking Animal Crossing. All of which are bigger game series with more releases. The series has largely survived as anything due to cult status and the more recent Virtual Console releases. We're talking about a quite small and fairly niche series that objectively has lots of content already in Smash. No series is ever going to have perfect representation, so the best you can hope for is good. And for the relatively small size and overall audience of Mother, it has probably the best representation of any franchise in pure numbers alone outside of Kid Icarus which is comparatively extremely well represented in the series.

Add to that the fact the number of people asking for another Mother rep is relatively small, and that fan base doesn't generally agree on one rep like we do here with Geno for Super Mario RPG, and you've got nothing but a dramatically steep hill to climb to even get recognized by Nintendo as additional desire for a Mother character.

As for the Marth and Lucina issue. Well, those are Echo fighters and a completely different ball game as a result. Echo fighters and clones, by nature, have to look like the original source. So of course, they're going to look similar. Of course Lucina is a much more recognizable character than Ninten given the success of Awakening. What really busts this issue though, we're confirmed to only be getting unique fighters. Ninten's one shot is basically as a Ness echo fighter, and as far as we know, we're not getting anymore.

I don't believe a Mother rep is possible, and I think Ninten is even less possible by nature of his design. He's extemely close looking to Ness, and he doesn't fit the general sentiment of adding unique characters that has been mentioned before. If he or the other Mother characters had a big enough fan base pushing for him, then we might be having a different conversation, but that's just not how it is.
If the Mother series isn't important to Nintendo, Ness and Lucas wouldn't be in Smash, nor would they give much attention to it. Yeah, Ninten looks like Ness, but they can distinguish him with a bandana, like they have in the official Mother 1 commercial. Ninten doesn't have a backpack, and his shirt has blue, white, and red stripes, as Ness has yellow and blue stripes. This is also the only similarity they have. They don't use many of the same moves. Ninten mainly attacks physically, and he can use PK beam, a move from one of his party members, Ana. He has so much potential that you simply are unaware of. He can throw boomerangs, use 4th-D-Slip for his up b, which is a teleport. He can use PK shield for his down b. For a final smash, a moment in Mother 1 is him, Ana, and Loid singing the 8 melodies. For a different final smash, he can use EVE, a robot built to protect him and his friends. You are judging a book by its cover. And, again, next year is the 30th anniversary of the Mother series. Despite being a Japan only character, Lucas has been in Smash since Brawl. You aren't the one to decide which series aren't important enough to be acknowledged. Don't underestimate Ninten's potential or the importance of the Mother series

The Mother fanbase is large. More people want a Mother character than you think. Ninten is what started the Mother series. He is the protagonist of the first game, people want him, and he can be a unique character. You shouldn't discredit him

Last edited by a moderator:

NanoGeno

Smash Rookie
I’ve been playing Ultimate recently, and I don’t know if it’s just me, but for some reason I think Geno would work perfectly with this game’s playstyle/feel. It’s probably just my bias speaking since I want Geno to be in so badly, but still. It just feels like to me Geno would be easy to implement in this game based on my experience with its mechanics and playstyle.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I’ve been playing Ultimate recently, and I don’t know if it’s just me, but for some reason I think Geno would work perfectly with this game’s playstyle/feel. It’s probably just my bias speaking since I want Geno to be in so badly, but still. It just feels like to me Geno would be easy to implement in this game based on my experience with its mechanics and playstyle.
i definitely feel the same way. something about ultimate's playstyle makes me feel like geno would fit perfectly in it

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
My whole thought on the spirit battles is that they tried to make them as authentic as possible. For example, when you fight the Takamaru spirit, it's the Mii Swordsman in the Takamaru outfit and you fight on Suzaku Castle with the Mysterious Murasame Castle Theme blaring in the background. With the Skull Kid spirit, it's the Mii Brawler in the Skull outfit with two "fairies" (I think they were Kirbys IIRC) on Forest of Hope with fog and Saria's theme. There's no reason they couldn't have done the Geno outfit if that was all they intended for him. Yes, all the third party Mii outfits are gone but all the corresponding spirits could be matched by playable characters anyways. Megaman pretty much covers Protoman, Megaman X, Megaman EXE, and Zero for example. There's no Monster Hunter, Heihachi, Gil, Lloyd, or Jacky spirits. Akira is probably Ryu, Knuckles is probably Sonic, and Tails could be either Sonic or Fox. All of these would be appropriate fits. Sheik is nothing like Geno. It's a huge stretch and the easiest way to clean their hands of the whole thing would have been to just use the Mii Gunner outfit but they didn't. They did a very awkward fit and it doesn't prove anything but it does make me think.
Adding on to this: when I fought the Saki Amamiya spirit, they used the Saki Mii Costume. So I find it strange they didn’t use the Mii Costume for Geno. Idk what that could be about. And no music.

Also Lucas’ Mother, Hinawa is a Legendary Spirit. So is Dr. Wily, who is an AT

And same. Geno would be perfect in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Adding on to this: when I fought the Saki Amamiya spirit, they used the Saki Mii Costume. So I find it strange they didn’t use the Mii Costume for Geno. Idk what that could be about. And no music.

Also Lucas’ Mother, Hinawa is a Legendary Spirit. So is Dr. Wily, who is an AT
Not this again. The Mii Costume thing is irrelevant. All third parties have no Mii costumes.

I admit that not having the Geno outfit back if this was all that's planned for him is a bit perplexing but I'm sure there's a good reason.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Not this again. The Mii Costume thing is irrelevant. All third parties have no Mii costumes.

I admit that not having the Geno outfit back if this was all that's planned for him is a bit perplexing but I'm sure there's a good reason.
I mean I’d be more inclined to believe this if all the other 3rd party costumes also weren’t represented somehow

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I've always wanted Geno to be a Sheik/Robin like character so that choice was perfect for the spirit fighter.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Consider WHAT Sheik does though.
Quickly rattles off pellets. That's Geno.
Uses the Star Rod and the Gun Item. That's Geno.

I don't see why we need to get "closer" then that when that's already close.
It’s not THAT close tho. No Rocket punch. No references to puppets, the supreme height and body type difference, no turning into a cannon and shooting out a large star?
the only similarities between Shiek and Geno are pellets.

Ohhhj you know what, I’m realizing there might be a misunderstanding here.

What I mean is all the other 3rd party Mii costumes are represented by their Mii Costume or someone from that world AND are in game as an AT or Boss in their original form.

Shiek is, to me, an OKAY fit. The pellets are the only real true link here.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I've always wanted Geno to be a Sheik/Robin like character so that choice was perfect for the spirit fighter.
I honestly saw him more as being Mega Man-esque due to all of his moves being bullet/energy blast-based. Like playing Megaman in SSBU feels like a taste to what Geno could be. Sheik's needles seem like a good substitution for the bullets, but there's a reason why they gave her the star rod and gun. Geno is way more projectile heavy as far as SMRPG goes than Sheik as she is in this series.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
If the Mother series isn't important to Nintendo, Ness and Lucas wouldn't be in Smash, nor would they give much attention to it. Yeah, Ninten looks like Ness, but they can distinguish him with a bandana, like they have in the official Mother 1 commercial. Ninten doesn't have a backpack, and his shirt has blue, white, and red stripes, as Ness has yellow and blue stripes. This is also the only similarity they have. They don't use many of the same moves. Ninten mainly attacks physically, and he can use PK beam, a move from one of his party members, Ana. He has so much potential that you simply are unaware of. He can throw boomerangs, use 4th-D-Slip for his up b, which is a teleport. He can use PK shield for his down b. For a final smash, a moment in Mother 1 is him, Ana, and Loid singing the 8 melodies. For a different final smash, he can use EVE, a robot built to protect him and his friends. You are judging a book by its cover. And, again, next year is the 30th anniversary of the Mother series. Despite being a Japan only character, Lucas has been in Smash since Brawl. You aren't the one to decide which series aren't important enough to be acknowledged. Don't underestimate Ninten's potential or the importance of the Mother series

The Mother fanbase is large. More people want a Mother character than you think. Ninten is what started the Mother series. He is the protagonist of the first game, people want him, and he can be a unique character. You shouldn't discredit him
I’m not saying he couldn’t be unique just to be clear. I’m saying on screen he’s going to look very similar to Ness with that comment, and that’s mostly an inconsequential thing, but it’s not a good trait either.

And a big reason why I think he’s entirely unlikely is that Mother has such good representation. The series hasn’t just been acknolweged at this point, it’s been comparatively lavished with content to almost every other series. I’m not saying it’s unimportant (though I suspect Nintendo is mostly ambivalent towards it if they are also to Golden Sun too), just that for how “important” it is, it has lots of representation.

I also think a LOT of people would be pissed off at another Mother rep, and more so if it’s not Porky and people have that expectation now thanks to the lack of his spirit/he’s the one who managed to get any traction.

And like the true can be said of any character I know, especially with Geno, but I think he’d be comparable hate wise to Corrin in all honesty as another rep of a well represented franchise that isn’t different enough and strikes people as a “who” character.

But hey, I love Corrin nowadays, so who knows lol

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Icewolff92 Icewolff92 Byleth is literally a blue haired swordsmen and Smash already has 5, 7 if you count male Robin and Corrin's ALTs. I mean...

My guy... This is literally a path that they've walked with every single playable Fire Emblem character except Roy. There's just no good argument for it, a new game be damned.
This... This look like angry Marth with Dark clothes... I mean , I think Sakurai can see the problem here... How would he make him unique , when he couldn't do it with Chrom , and picked Robin instead?

I Hope that if we get a FE TH rep , It's Edelgard , because of her uniqueness (And because axe+Magic is the closest thing I'll get to a playable Camilla in Smash lol)

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
This... This look like angry Marth with Dark clothes... I mean , I think Sakurai can see the problem here... How would he make him unique , when he couldn't do it with Chrom , and picked Robin instead?

I Hope that if we get a FE TH rep , It's Edelgard , because of her uniqueness (And because axe+Magic is the closest thing I'll get to a playable Camilla in Smash lol)
Honestly if Byleth really is as trite as we think then chances are he will get Chrom'd in favor of Edelgard or one of the other two lords hopefully.

As far as Geno is concerned, Joker's inclusion has fluctuating my thoughts. I want to wait on the second announced dlc character before jumping to anything.

D

Deleted member

I’m not saying he couldn’t be unique just to be clear. I’m saying on screen he’s going to look very similar to Ness with that comment, and that’s mostly an inconsequential thing, but it’s not a good trait either.

And a big reason why I think he’s entirely unlikely is that Mother has such good representation. The series hasn’t just been acknolweged at this point, it’s been comparatively lavished with content to almost every other series. I’m not saying it’s unimportant (though I suspect Nintendo is mostly ambivalent towards it if they are also to Golden Sun too), just that for how “important” it is, it has lots of representation.

I also think a LOT of people would be pissed off at another Mother rep, and more so if it’s not Porky and people have that expectation now thanks to the lack of his spirit/he’s the one who managed to get any traction.

And like the true can be said of any character I know, especially with Geno, but I think he’d be comparable hate wise to Corrin in all honesty as another rep of a well represented franchise that isn’t different enough and strikes people as a “who” character.

But hey, I love Corrin nowadays, so who knows lol
Who exactly would be pissed off at a new Mother rep? It's more likely to get a new rep as DLC with all of the love it has gotten. Again, people want a new rep. Corrin was an ad. No one wanted him. A lot of people in the west didn't even know who he was given how recent of a character he was. You don't see anyone complaining that we have too many Mother reps. They aren't characters to be put on the same level. Ninten is the protagonist of the first Mother game. There wouldn't be Ness, Lucas, Porky, or any of the other content now in the game

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
This has probably been talked about, but I'm not scrolling back 50 pages to find out. But how do you guys think Joker affects Geno's chances? I think it's good for Geno because it proves Sakurai bias is still a thing. Also wow, lots of Ninten talk. Seriously, this is the Geno thread. Please take it elsewhere.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
This has probably been talked about, but I'm not scrolling back 50 pages to find out. But how do you guys think Joker affects Geno's chances? I think it's good for Geno because it proves Sakurai bias is still a thing. Also wow, lots of Ninten talk. Seriously, this is the Geno thread. Please take it elsewhere.
People are seeing it as multi-factorial. Some see it as a bad thing because Joker is a newer more “mainstream” character than Geno and are taking Reggie’s words of all the characters being “new to the series” literally.

Other people are seeing it as evidence that Nintendo isn’t going for pure shill picks meant only to promote new first-party Nintendo titles as Persona 5 isn’t even on a Nintendo system which can be seen as a positive for Geno. Persona while having its fans isn’t a series that everyone knows or plays. It’s pretty niche and Joker isn’t a Tails from Sonic tier mainstream pick.

It’s also something that no one saw coming which kind of btfos a lot of leakers who were sure it was going to be a DQ character announcement at the VGAs instead leading to the possibility that they’re wrong about their assumption that Geno is leakb8.

Reggie saying the characters were going to be “unexpected and different” also seems like a positive for Geno considering he as a playable character would stand out from all the other characters in the game currently more than a DQ hero or Sephiroth as far as the list of SE names goes.

Also an interesting thing that happened on the day of the VGAs is that HQ a mobile app trivia game had a game sponsored by Nintendo that was Smash/Mario related wherein Nintendo gave them questions to ask and one of the questions specifically was about a game where one of the characters is a possessed puppet. The answer of course was SMRPG and the host specifically referred to Geno. So that’s now another situation this year where a Nintendo has officially name dropped Geno and SMRPG even though he’s still owned by SE.

There may be other things but this is all I can think of this early in the morning.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Who exactly would be pissed off at a new Mother rep? It's more likely to get a new rep as DLC with all of the love it has gotten. Again, people want a new rep. Corrin was an ad. No one wanted him. A lot of people in the west didn't even know who he was given how recent of a character he was. You don't see anyone complaining that we have too many Mother reps. They aren't characters to be put on the same level. Ninten is the protagonist of the first Mother game. There wouldn't be Ness, Lucas, Porky, or any of the other content now in the game
But I think any additional character starts to be the straw that broke the camel’s back so to say. Every new addition to a franchise generally seen as well represented causes lots of trouble. I think it’s a real problem to consider with every addition. The frustrations of “wasted spots” only gets worse. It really does not help him that his game was never released outside of Japan initially and is the least popular of the three. Especially when none of the games got initial releases in Europe. I think that’s actually one of the roadblocks for Geno in a sense, his potential popularity gets slashed by the unfortunate virtue of not having an initial release in Europe. I get re-releases are a thing, but beyond the word of mouth and legacy I don’t think those usually endear people in the same manner. I know it was enough to sink Takumaru unfortunately.

I’ll drop it since we’re getting complaints. Again, I don’t dislike Ninten. I just feel less than confident about his chances. I’d feel completely the same about Geno if he didn’t have the quite large fan base he currently does. Popularity is going to be the make or break moment for characters less well known like them.

We’ll cut it out soon enough. No worries at a little off topic page or so.

As for Joker. Some will contest he’s a big deal cause he was unexpected and proves lots of little things. He doesn’t immediately represent a huge advertisement (Persona Q2 is releasing on 3DS though) and he shows some Sakurai bias since he apparently enjoyed Persona 5.

That said, I think we’re making calls too early as there is still potential for additional Persona games to release on Switch and I’d hold off til next Direct at least just to be sure. I also think he represents a bigger crossover moment in the sense the choice made is being a big name third party franchise in, so do with that what you will.

I mostly just think he doesn’t really help or hurt us. He’s just a character pick out of the left field that is very open to interpretation to the point of almost being unhelpful in that regard. He does get rid of a lot of insider bull****, so that’s good.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So, I was thinking about the possibility of a campaign of some sort for Geno, or some other kind of outreach... and I thought of what might be an excellent idea.

The way people behaved over certain characters not being included was decidedly negative, and I can't say I approve of that. However, bringing our love and positivity to Nintendo in a more direct way is something that I think might be an incredible step ——— and, by proxy, bringing it to Square Enix, as well. Now, Square is definitely more corporate-focused than Nintendo, but it's absolutely worth giving reaching out to them a shot in conjunction with Nintendo and Sora Ltd, and we need not EVER do so with brimstone and fury. Ever. I want to bring our appreciation for this character to the forefront in a way that may even make them smile, evoke fondness, and rally the community into a beacon of light for our star boy.

I'm thinking of writing a heartfelt letter with a lot of love, personal artwork, memories, and Smash appreciation to forward to the companies in some way. Now, reaching them will likely be difficult and may have to be through parties in lower positions at Nintendo, Square, and so forth, but I think this approach would be excellent. It would show our passion and our patience, our appreciation for what we have been given, praise for the attention Geno has gotten thus far, and an honest, heartfelt wish for Geno to make his return. No negativity, no complaints, no attacking anyone at these companies for the situation we're in.

At least in terms of Nintendo themselves, we know they're listening ——— and I think we, whilst fighting a very uphill battle, need to try our very hardest to spread the love and fight with peace and gratitude.

I would love to write a letter with testimonies and fond memories of fellow Geno fans, artwork, and whatever else we can possibly stir, a show that we do love this character and just how happy our worlds would become with a revival, even if not in this wave (or this entire DLC cycle) of Smash DLC. Outrage and backlash is one thing, and they've experienced a lot of it via Grinch leak. I think something that would even stir their emotions and give them a slice of the love pie (how fitting for this topic tbh) would be incredible.

The difficulty of getting this out to them is realistically huge, and it'd be a hell of a task, but I would love to try to make this possible. I believe in speaking up with our hearts and our love. Even if we don't get him in Smash, we should never hold back in showing our appreciation and adoration, and make it clear just how much faith we have in a future return for our boy. Seeing the amazing outpouring of love for K. Rool and where it's gotten the Kremling Krew today has absolutely inspired me, and I want to spearhead something of the sort if at all possible. Again, realistically, it would be no easy task, maybe even impossible, but I see no problem in trying, eh? I'm a freelance graphic designer, as well as a digital artist, so I'm sure I could whip something pretty good up, too.

Anyhow, Smash is so good and I'm having such a great time with it. Ultimate really has made me insanely happy as a long-time fan since 64! Good afternoon, you twinkling stars, and hope you're having fun with all the Smashy goodness happening! I hope y'all experience a lot of smiles today!

HMpoweredMan

Smash Cadet
Wow this thread dropped off in hype after the game awards. I guess it may be a few months before we find out if Geno is in.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
So you know how every leaker and their dog was saying the Square rep was going to be the first DLC reveal?

What if the reason Joker was shown off at TGA in lieu of the Square pick is because Persona 5 is more modern and mainstream than Geno or Dragon Quest, and thus a more fitting reveal for TGA? Like the Square rep is still there, and let's say it's Geno, but Nintendo decided that Joker would make more of a splash.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
What if the reason Joker was shown off at TGA in lieu of the Square pick is because Persona 5 is more modern and mainstream than Geno or Dragon Quest, and thus a more fitting reveal for TGA? Like the Square rep is still there, and let's say it's Geno, but Nintendo decided that Joker would make more of a splash.
That is entirely the reason behind Joker's reveal. A recent and incredibly popular character revealed at an award show catering to recent and popular games go hand in hand.

Geno's reveal (should that happen) would most likely coincide with Square announcing whatever "classic games" they will be porting over to the Switch, and who knows when that'll be. My guess is probably around the time the last or second to last characters are revealed.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
Alright, here's the main takeaway: Edelgard is the new Lyn and I think the one 4chan post was just koala-bearing off people's basic expectations of DLC because it's "safe." People have basically attached themselves to the character because she appears to be the most unique between her, Dimitri, and Claude. The trailer shows she can use axes and I think it's been suggested that she can do magic too. A magic using axe user does sound badass but she's not the main character. She's a secondary character. The main character is Byleth. The story is told from his perspective. It's unclear if he's a customizable avatar or not but that's irrelevant. Smash has never added secondary characters first for Fire Emblem. Lucina came with Robin and Chrom came with this game (in more ways than one, ZING!). Lucina and Chrom are both echoes. That should be telling enough. Marth, Ike, Roy, Robin, and Corrin are all the lead characters of their respective games. Lyn has been an assist trophy since Brawl and Edelgard's role in Three Houses is almost identical in premise to the one that Lyn had in Fire Emblem: the Blazing Blade. This all being said, if Three Houses gets a playable character, it's going to be Byleth based on 17 years of character additions in Smash. It's literally Lyn, Hector, and Eliwood all over again.

Beyond this, does Fire Emblem really NEED more content? Is there really that much they can do with the series in Smash at this given time? It has 4 totally unique characters, 2 echoes (1 is all new), a semi clone, 3 stages, 3 assist trophies (2 are brand new), an item (brand new), 40 spirits, and 37 music tracks (with 10 brand new remixes). That's incredibly generous by all accounts especially when it's not even one of Nintendo's S tier series. Keep in mind that the DLC packs are a character, a stage, and more music. When Corrin came, it was just the character and like two music tracks. There is absolutely no reason to show this degree of favortism towards Fire Emblem. It doesn't need advertising. Sakurai practically put a gun in his mouth when they asked him to put in Corrin and now they're supposed to do yet another? Chrom was copy and paste with some adjustments, this is an entirely new character from the ground up. Corrin was also meant to not just advertise one game but technically THREE so that makes a lot more sense than one game on what's rapidly becoming what may wind up being Nintendo's most successful platform of all time.

This all said, my arguments against Sylux are practically the same. Metroid now has 3 unique characters (1 new to this game), 1 echo (new to this game), 4 stages, 2 assist trophies, an item, and 25 music tracks with 7 being new to Ultimate, It's also a series that's plenty well represented given its size and Metroid Prime 3 doesn't really need advertising given the Switch is a runaway success. This isn't to say that Edelgard and Sylux can't happen, I'm just saying people are banking on them way too hard despite the fact that both Fire Emblem and Metroid have had an avalanche on new content in this game. On top of this, Roy and Corrin are literally the only two "shill" characters in the entire history of the series. 5 of the 7 Smash 4 DLC characters were pure fan demand with Ryu being the most iconic fighting game crossover character ever, bar none. Almost 20 years of Smash and now people are expecting them to do two shill characters within months of each other, despite the fact that we just got Joker, a character whose main game is currently only available for the PS3 and PS4? In the end, it's not impossible for either but I think people need to take a step back and realize that both would be huge anomalies with everything that I've mentioned here.

Well people are forgetting Byleth is literally green Marth design wise
he is exactly Marth with green hair, it would be the laziest DLC of all

on another view, both Fire Emblem and Metroid don't lack any stages or musics an upcoming DLC could bring

Both Nintendo and Sakurai know Corrin DLC was the worst seller and it had a lot of backlash, so they won't bring another Fire Emblem DLC this time

So you know how every leaker and their dog was saying the Square rep was going to be the first DLC reveal?

well Persona 5 was awarded best RPG last year at TGA so it was a good reminder to show it at TGA again, nothing more nothing less

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom