• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
One thing that should be noted is that there are no 3rd party villains in the roster, all main villains (Shadow, Dr Willy, Ghosts?) are assist trophies, of course there's always a first time for anything, but marketing wise it's better to pick a "hero" than a "villain", specially if you are aiming the large demographic of casuals.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Woah guys check out this fresh maymay I found on the internet. I think these Geno Gang guys mean business........................
genogang.png

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Imo, smash doesn't really have a "badass edgy villain" (I assume this is why people wanted Shadow as well/for the "badass" appeal he has, I mean) so he'd be unique in that department. He's surprisingly (or unsurprisingly) not very well known to Nintendo fans, since not that many are aware of his stance elsewhere, and others not even aware that he exists. One thing I find amusing is the Sephiroth support thread being a whopping 3 pages long compared to Geno's 466, so it seems like there's still room for some recognition.

But yeah, I agree with everything else; aside from his edgy aesthetic, he doesn't really provide anything unique aside from being a much more fancy swordsman.
I think Ganondorf configures as an edgy villain.
It's just that we haven't had a villain that has the nuance of a graceful swordsman bent on evil like he is. Look at all of our swordsmen. How many of them are villains?
MK isn't a villain, Robin isn't Grima, so what we have at hand is the first villain swordsman, and one that brings with him not just generic sword slashes, but a kit of his own.

And let me correct you, he is not as well known among *Gamecube*-era fans going forward. Talk to some fans who are in their 30s or 40s and you might find a lot more people aware of the character and game he is from. A lot of people from that generation have some SNES titles that they have never played and were Nintendo produced, imagine a JRPG of that time.
And I say this as an opportunity for people from that gen to embrace what previous generations did with the magic that is severely rare to find in the industry for the last few decades.

On a side note, there's a reason why even one of the most renowned european orchestras made a series of concerts dedicated to transform videogame music into serious classic suites in structure and execution, giving us interpretations that have an otherworldly feel to them. And in this series, they managed to focus on classic gaming defined as: Nintendo + Square-Enix. Back when FF, DQ, Crono and Secret of Mana were a thing, these were almost like Nintendo produced games. And the fanbases were close together as they shared the same kind of classic entertainment that we were having in those years. Hence why I pledge some of the fans here from both sides to get to know each others' game. They are classics for a reason.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
No, bc people who are hardcore fans of the original or of the film and don't have a Switch would go nuts if they see that you can change Cloud's skin with amiibo.
And ironically, I met a girl who is into FF but didn't have a Wii U, but bought the amiibo bc a lot of people are collectors of this stuff. I feel like it would be an incentive.
I also think potential amiibo’s is a case for SE. lets all remember Geno is a doll, a toy. Buying a TOY to supplement playing as a TOY in Smash?? Marketing brilliance. And with a super cool design (we thought it was cool as kids) it would be a perfect fit not just for Smash and Geno fans but future Nintendo games.

To be fair, most of the smash fanbase is comprised of older people. That's not to say that kids won't be playing smash but this franchise is tailored towards longtime fans (definitely ambiguous with characters though). So I'm thinking DLC will be consist of characters aimed at older audiences (general audiences outside smash may consist of older people as well, seeing how SE rarely publishes games meant for kids/general family). Of course this seems like good news for Geno fans but keep in mind Sephiroth is one of Enix's few poster boys, which is one of the few things that Sephiroth possesses that Geno lacks. All in all, it wouldn't be wise to underestimate either one.
Yeah but in that regard, Enix has their FF poster boy with Cloud. Why choose Sephiroth, over, say, Leon, Lightning, Tifa, Noctis etc

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I also think potential amiibo’s is a case for SE. lets all remember Geno is a doll, a toy. Buying a TOY to supplement playing as a TOY in Smash?? Marketing brilliance. And with a super cool design (we thought it was cool as kids) it would be a perfect fit not just for Smash and Geno fans but future Nintendo games.

Yeah but in that regard, Enix has their FF poster boy with Cloud. Why choose Sephiroth, over, say, Leon, Lightning, Tifa, Noctis etc
Tifa is fitting, but not a big character like Seph. Lightning is a bottom tier character in the franchise, in which is well known for how bad her game truly was compared to its predecessors. Noctis has his spot in Tekken, so I don't see them being interested in doing the same character in two different games.

Last edited:

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
What makes you think Dragon Quest is out?
With the recent insider's narrative pointing toward 2 "winners" in the SE list, plus the ownership hell that is DQ, it's probably on the bottom of the list (compared to Geno and Sephiroth)

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
It's insane to think that Super Mario RPG is older than Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Final Fantasy VII, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi RPG, and Golden Sun.
Super Mario RPG is also about the same age as Pokémon Red and Blue, only about a month apart. The three games that kept the RPG genre up in the west... Pokémon, Super Mario RPG, and Final Fantasy VII. What in the hell would we do without them?
And Super Mario RPG itself stayed as one of our favorite games for 22 years. It just shows that games from the late '90s seem more memorable and have the spirit compared to games today. Halo hasn't been the same since Bungie left. The last great game Bungie made was Halo: Reach, and Bungie sure did make a great parting gift with that one. Gosh, I miss the good ol' days of Halo 2, Halo 3, and Reach.

However, Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is an exception because Sakurai and his team actually take time into making and doing it for the fans. This might be the only modern game that will make a great impact for me for now. Nintendo's games in general just have the spirit compared to Xbox and PlayStation; I am an Xbox and PlayStation player, and I can definitely say that Nintendo always does their games better. Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, Pokémon, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Ocarina of Time, Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Breath of the Wild, and Super Mario Odyssey are the reasons why Nintendo is my favorite, and why it will always be my favorite.
Well said! It's that spirit you describe that has kept me so attached to Nintendo...very few games outside that sphere have captured that for me. And even some Nintendo games have started showing less. Not many, but they are there. Modern games in general are lacking in it. Who knows why that is...

Thank the Stars for Indies, though. They keep the spirit strong.
Imo, smash doesn't really have a "badass edgy villain" (I assume this is why people wanted Shadow as well/for the "badass" appeal he has, I mean) so he'd be unique in that department. He's surprisingly (or unsurprisingly) not very well known to Nintendo fans, since not that many are aware of his stance elsewhere, and others not even aware that he exists. One thing I find amusing is the Sephiroth support thread being a whopping 3 pages long compared to Geno's 466, so it seems like there's still room for some recognition.

But yeah, I agree with everything else; aside from his edgy aesthetic, he doesn't really provide anything unique aside from being a much more fancy swordsman.
Also a great point. It's true--we don't have an edgelord proper. Dark Pit tries so hard, as does Meta knight, but we know they're soft and mushy good guys underneath. Hell, even Shadow is good when it comes down to it.

If Sephy does get in, that'll be the reason I appreciate his presence--as our resident edgelord. That works for me, lol.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
It's insane to think that Super Mario RPG is older than Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Final Fantasy VII, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi RPG, and Golden Sun.
Super Mario RPG is also about the same age as Pokémon Red and Blue, only about a month apart. The three games that kept the RPG genre up in the west... Pokémon, Super Mario RPG, and Final Fantasy VII. What in the hell would we do without them?
And Super Mario RPG itself stayed as one of our favorite games for 22 years. It just shows that games from the late '90s seem more memorable and have the spirit compared to games today. Halo hasn't been the same since Bungie left. The last great game Bungie made was Halo: Reach, and Bungie sure did make a great parting gift with that one. Gosh, I miss the good ol' days of Halo 2, Halo 3, and Reach.

However, Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is an exception because Sakurai and his team actually take time into making and doing it for the fans. This might be the only modern game that will make a great impact for me for now. Nintendo's games in general just have the spirit compared to Xbox and PlayStation; I am an Xbox and PlayStation player, and I can definitely say that Nintendo always does their games better. Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, Pokémon, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Ocarina of Time, Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Breath of the Wild, and Super Mario Odyssey are the reasons why Nintendo is my favorite, and why it will always be my favorite.
Cool personal fact: SMRPG was the precursor of the medieval and pseudo-realistic aesthetic that I absolutely loved in Mario, defined and popularized by Super Mario 64 with castles, dungeons and places filled with textures that bring a fantasy, pseudo-medieval, pseudo-realistic vibe. I commend SMRPG for that!

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
What makes you think Dragon Quest is out?
I swear, I have to reiterate again that the "2 finalists, Geno and Sephiroth" thing does NOT come from my verified source. It comes from a random person who provided a Square Enix LinkedIn profile and claimed to know of these DLC discussions. However, we literally never heard of this person before he provided this info, so I'd be INCREDIBLY wary of it. It's not something I fully endorse.

Rummy Rummy can attest to this. I do NOT think we should consider DQ or Crono out of the race at all because of this. This rumor is something cool to take note of, but it's no way definitive and it does not originate from me.

Also xenother xenother knows what I do not endorse this, as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

SO....

A puppet possessed by a star, with a gun for a hand, and can fire a kamehameha beam, a disc that has the power of OVER 9,000 (sorry I had to), blasts from the sky, and can transfrom into a cannon and fire a light beam that destroys everyone in it's path

Or

A criminal with long, grey (white?) hair and a sword that can tip the nose of a giraffe?

My money is on our star boy

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
With the recent insider's narrative pointing toward 2 "winners" in the SE list, plus the ownership hell that is DQ, it's probably on the bottom of the list (compared to Geno and Sephiroth)
I feel like I shouldn't try to back up how likely I think a DQ rep is in a Geno thread, as it may backfire on me

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I feel like I shouldn't try to back up how likely I think a DQ rep is in a Geno thread, as it may backfire on me
Read my post. No insiders have the narrative that Sephi and Geno are the only remaining options. As a matter of fact, I know more people leaning to DQ. I can reassure you that you aren't too misguided in thinking DQ.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Honestly I think some peeps are really underestimating Sephiroth's general appeal. This battle between him and Geno will be closer than people expect.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Read my post. No insiders have the narrative that Sephi and Geno are the only remaining options. As a matter of fact, I know more people leaning to DQ. I can reassure you that you aren't too misguided in thinking DQ.
Oh no, I still believe that it's going to be DQ, I just don't want it to seem like I'm trolling by saying that in a Geno thread

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Like we've been saying, it's one narrative from someone who claims to have an in with a real person from Square Enix. It could all be wrong. My take is that it lines up with everything we know at the moment and bridges a lot of gaps. It's convenient but also almost seemingly too convenient. Time will time.

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
You are right, I boarded the hype train too soon, you can't be too careful with "leaks" nowdays (like the nightmare that was the Grinch Leak).

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Like we've been saying, it's one narrative from someone who claims to have an in with a real person from Square Enix. It could all be wrong. My take is that it lines up with everything we know at the moment and bridges a lot of gaps. It's convenient but also almost seemingly too convenient. Time will time.
I don't like that last line.
Last time it happened. It was called the Grinch leak.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I don't like that last line.
Last time it happened. It was called the Grinch leak.
This is exactly the point, sadly. Everything is lined up too nicely and gaps are filled.

However, there is no picture to have a reference on. This is truly a trust in word.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My whole thing is that it provides explanations to a lot of what we already know hence the "too convenient" argument. It provides a narrative that strings things together. I feel like the only thing going for DQ is that people have heard things. You could say this about the Grinch leak but that's wrong because insiders knew about Isaac and Shadow as assist trophies as far back as September and play testers were able to attest to various details like Inceniroar, Ken, and the Plant™.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I swear, I have to reiterate again that the "2 finalists, Geno and Sephiroth" thing does NOT come from my verified source. It comes from a random person who provided a Square Enix LinkedIn profile and claimed to know of these DLC discussions. However, we literally never heard of this person before he provided this info, so I'd be INCREDIBLY wary of it. It's not something I fully endorse.

Rummy Rummy can attest to this. I do NOT think we should consider DQ or Crono out of the race at all because of this. This rumor is something cool to take note of, but it's no way definitive and it does not originate from me.

Also xenother xenother knows what I do not endorse this, as well.
I definitely hear you, Polar. In a lot of ways, it's just fun to theorize with this info in play. But I do see how those outside the thread (like the insane amount of guests watching everyday now--hi guys!) Might interpret our discussions as relating to a hard fact, as it certainly reads that way. And I certainly wouldn't want to put you out as a result--you've been too good to us for that.

Thing is, I'm not sure how we can discuss this while avoiding causing that kind of confusion...any ideas, guys? Maybe just drop an occasional PSA post stating nothing is confirmed, as Polar's been doing?

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
My whole thing is that it provides explanations to a lot of what we already know hence the "too convenient" argument. It provides a narrative that strings things together. I feel like the only thing going for DQ is that people have heard things. You could say this about the Grinch leak but that's wrong because insiders knew about Isaac and Shadow as assist trophies as far back as September and play testers were able to attest to various details like Inceniroar, Ken, and the Plant™.
I know it's unverified stuff, but somehow, and correct me if I'm wrong, but under these words I feel a bit more optimism from your part for this theory being true than most out there. Maybe it's just me seeing too much into it.

Kektendo

Smash Rookie
The 2 considered characters must have been Mallow and Geno , the one who was denied wasn't Sora , it was Bowser.

Alrighty let's be serious. I think this whole situation is very interesting , and that we'll probably get something at the VGA , they didn't chosed the 7th December for nothing. However , they could reveal anything.
They revealed freaking Funky Kong as a playable character in a Wii U port for the Switch.
N E W F U N K Y M O D E

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
My only issue with that is the fact of how it supposedly link to Hashimoto's tweet that probably made SE mad. If Sora was down directly and created protest

Dude's basically the ****ing VP senior director of SE, Business Division 3, and greenlight when FF games are made and when KH games are made.

It would make sense for him to have HEAVY weight on the choice if the like what? 2/3 people on top of him said no.

That's why I'm suspicious of this storyline somehow.
Alongside DQ not being considered.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hey, gang. I usually poke my head in here from time to time, and with the recent news I wanted to say some stuff.

As a silent Geno supporter rooting for his fans it almost pains me to see him have to face off against Sephiroth. Yes, I know they're just two names in a big list, but it's still a fascinating narrative. My struggle with this is so personal - on one hand I've seen people pull for Geno since 1999. On the other hand Final Fantasy 7 is one of the best games to this day and Sephiroth an absolutely legendary villain and the standard for all other JRPG villains after him.

I know a lot of Geno fans may not understand it or may even see Final Fantasy 7 as surely overrated, but I promise that the story of Cloud and Sephiroth is every bit as nuanced and compelling as it is hyped up to be. I'm still rooting for you guys - as much as I adore Sephiroth and am backing him I can't help but love underdog stories that much - but I only ask that if Sephiroth makes it, try not to be too mad at him.

If you don't have time to play Final Fantasy 7, I implore you to listen to Mega Ran's incredible album Black Materia, a phenomenal piece of work that tells the story of Midgar with beauty and poise, nailing the game's themes, charm, humor, tragedy, and voice. If nothing else, give the track One Winged Angel your best, a track that tells the tale of the final battle against Sephiroth and truly puts across what an amazing villain he really was.

This is all so very exciting. I'm supporting you all and in an ideal world I'd love to get both Geno and Sephiroth. That would be one of the most amazing outcomes ever, but in the end laying my personal bias aside...I can play as and experience Sephiroth in so many other ways, but this would be the only way to play as Geno.

Good luck, everyone, and if nothing else I'm so happy for you all that you got this far. It's come a long way from a single user on a forum in 1999 saying to me "I'd like to see Geno from Super Mario RPG!".

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'm more inclined to believe something that sketchily fits rather than something that just doesn't add up. However I will admit when I'm wrong when the time comes to it.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I know it's unverified stuff, but somehow, and correct me if I'm wrong, but under these words I feel a bit more optimism from your part for this theory being true than most out there. Maybe it's just me seeing too much into it.
I'll go into it in full when I get the time. From a logical standpoint, Geno and Sephiroth make the most sense with Erdrick making the least. Sora's not too terribly irrational either but he's by far the one that has been said all around to be flat out of the running by insiders.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I think some peeps are really underestimating Sephiroth's general appeal. This battle between him and Geno will be closer than people expect.
It's interesting you say that. Maybe like 30 pages ago haha I said the same thing about Geno.

I definitely hear you, Polar. In a lot of ways, it's just fun to theorize with this info in play. But I do see how those outside the thread (like the insane amount of guests watching everyday now--hi guys!) Might interpret our discussions as relating to a hard fact, as it certainly reads that way. And I certainly wouldn't want to put you out as a result--you've been too good to us for that.

Thing is, I'm not sure how we can discuss this while avoiding causing that kind of confusion...any ideas, guys? Maybe just drop an occasional PSA post stating nothing is confirmed, as Polar's been doing?
I feel like we've been super clear that we've been purely speculating with given information and no one is saying that anyone is a lock and that literally anything can happen.

My only issue with that is the fact of how it supposedly link to Hashimoto's tweet that probably made SE mad. If Sora was down directly and created protest

Dude's basically the ****ing VP senior director of SE, Business Division 3, and greenlight when FF games are made and when KH games are made.

It would make sense for him to have HEAVY weight on the choice if the like what? 2/3 people on top of him said no.

That's why I'm suspicious of this storyline somehow.
Alongside DQ not being considered.
I wonder if the conversation even happened as "agressively" as it sounds tho. With the Sora's out narrative, I think it makes sense that DQ would also be out for the same reasons.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Hey, gang. I usually poke my head in here from time to time, and with the recent news I wanted to say some stuff.

As a silent Geno supporter rooting for his fans it almost pains me to see him have to face off against Sephiroth. Yes, I know they're just two names in a big list, but it's still a fascinating narrative. My struggle with this is so personal - on one hand I've seen people pull for Geno since 1999. On the other hand Final Fantasy 7 is one of the best games to this day and Sephiroth an absolutely legendary villain and the standard for all other JRPG villains after him.

I know a lot of Geno fans may not understand it or may even see Final Fantasy 7 as surely overrated, but I promise that the story of Cloud and Sephiroth is every bit as nuanced and compelling as it is hyped up to be. I'm still rooting for you guys - as much as I adore Sephiroth and am backing him I can't help but love underdog stories that much - but I only ask that if Sephiroth makes it, try not to be too mad at him.

If you don't have time to play Final Fantasy 7, I implore you to listen to Mega Ran's incredible album Black Materia, a phenomenal piece of work that tells the story of Midgar with beauty and poise, nailing the game's themes, charm, humor, tragedy, and voice. If nothing else, give the track One Winged Angel your best, a track that tells the tale of the final battle against Sephiroth and truly puts across what an amazing villain he really was.

This is all so very exciting. I'm supporting you all and in an ideal world I'd love to get both Geno and Sephiroth. That would be one of the most amazing outcomes ever, but in the end laying my personal bias aside...I can play as and experience Sephiroth in so many other ways, but this would be the only way to play as Geno.

Good luck, everyone, and if nothing else I'm so happy for you all that you got this far. It's come a long way from a single user on a forum in 1999 saying to me "I'd like to see Geno from Super Mario RPG!".
This is a very nicely done post. You've honestly sold me on FF7, just on the way you describe the story alone. I was already planning to give it a shot once it drops on Switch, but now I'm much more interested.

Nothing will top my want for Geno in Smash, but I appreciate your passion! Thanks for peeking out of the shadows to share this.:)

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Also, I want to be super clear. I'm not against Sephiroth's inclusion in a negative manner. I just would rather see Geno included for several, several, reasons that I personally think will fit better for Smash. I love Final Fantasy and Cloud and Sephiroth. (Dissida is by far one of my favorite PSP Games).

Pristine

Smash Cadet
This is a very nicely done post. You've honestly sold me on FFXII, just on the way you describe the story alone. I was already planning to give it a shot once it drops on Switch, but now I'm much more interested.

Nothing will top my want for Geno in Smash, but I appreciate your passion! Thanks for peeking out of the shadows to share this.:)
You sure you don't mean FF7 lol

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
This is a very nicely done post. You've honestly sold me on FFXII, just on the way you describe the story alone. I was already planning to give it a shot once it drops on Switch, but now I'm much more interested.

This is the kind of comment that warms my heart. Bc in the end, I feel like there has been a gap between generations that have a ton in common in classic entertainment and would get along so well. I also try to get the post FFIX fans to give Nintendo games a try to see the magic that it is to play them. And getting comments like these from both parts is awesome.
Let me add to his comment by saying that some characters add a lot to the story, not necessarily through a huge backstory per se, but the unmeasurable nuance that the original script had, the way it foreshadows key moments in the plot, parallels that are seen throughout the game... More than its already great battle system with ATB mixing with the Materia system, or the game's mechanics themselves, but the story, worldbuilding and specially how Cloud is written is something to behold. There's even a "Nintendo" quirk to some of the characters.
A generation got emotionally invested in these characters ( be it heroes like Cloud and Aerith through the tragic villainy of Sephiroth) for a reason. And I think in the case of a community that has gotten so passionate with a game and character that already had a classicist design philosophy, giving this game a chance whether Geno makes it or not is worth your time 100%!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom