• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Eh... I guess if I had to have another Namco rep it'd be Loyd but it's not a thing that excites me personally. I had fun with Tales of Symphonia but it didn't make a big impression on me.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I reallllllly need to stress that I (nor Fatmanonice, for that matter) are sure on any DLC. I know how jumpy some people are to twist words. Fatman was referencing a rumor about Lloyd being DLC, but that's not a definitive leak. Additionally, the 2 names thing is also information that came from a random person on Discord who claimed to know somebody, so I'd be really iffy on that as well. When I have actual, confirmed info, I will be clear on that.

Please, do not twist my words and act like I've leaked anything here. Please, please, please.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
“Too many anime swordsmen” is already a meme by now, especially after Sakurai’s comments on the subject. Having 2/5 of the characters turn out to be exactly that will be a severely unpopular development, especially when it comes to a blind pass.
Complaining about "Too many anime swordsmen" in a japanese company game with 13 characters by pushing it to the extreme out of 69 in the main game with (:ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultike::ultlink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultroy::ultchrom::ultyounglink:) 6 playing Exactly the same (:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultpit::ultdarkpit:) just show how dumb that argument is.
It's barely 1/7 of the roster. And if they bring gameplay veriety, while also being Gaming Icons, Idc if they're anime or western oriented. Just let them in.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I reallllllly need to stress that I (nor Fatmanonice, for that matter) are sure on any DLC. I know how jumpy some people are to twist words. Fatman was referencing a rumor about Lloyd being DLC, but that's not a definitive leak. Additionally, the 2 names thing is also information that came from a random person on Discord who claimed to know somebody, so I'd be really iffy on that as well. When I have actual, confirmed info, I will be clear on that.

Please, do not twist my words and act like I've leaked anything here. Please, please, please.
I apologize for being jumpy. I sorta get a little excited over even the littlest things that point towards a character.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice

You got it, Polar.

Thanks again for keeping us in the loop when you can. *highfive*

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Complaining about "Too many anime swordsmen" in a japanese company game with 13 characters by pushing it to the extreme out of 69 in the main game with (:ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultike::ultlink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultroy::ultchrom::ultyounglink:) 6 playing Exactly the same (:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultpit::ultdarkpit:) just show how dumb that argument is.
It's barely 1/7 of the roster. And if they bring gameplay veriety, while also being Gaming Icons, Idc if they're anime or western oriented. Just let them in.
when anime swordfighters are the most common trope in the game (or swordfighters in general), it isnt a stupid argument. just becasue theres only 1/7 of the roster of them doesn't mean they arent the most saturated and generic of all the character types

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

So...does this mean I can hope for Klonoa again?

I will say, don't worry, this isn't the general, they believe anything there because they're :179:s.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
when anime swordfighters are the most common trope in the game (or swordfighters in general), it isnt a stupid argument. just becasue theres only 1/7 of the roster of them doesn't mean they arent the most saturated and generic of all the character types
As long as they play and feel different, what's the issue? Do you play Link like Marth? Corrin like Roy? Ike like Pit? Cloud like Roy?
As long as the Gameplay is showing something a different feel and taste. I think it's a non-issue.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It would be nice to get a comprehensive list of most trust worthy to least trustworthy information; to better inform opinions.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

You guys should really bring this stuff to the general thread or see if the mods can get a separate thread for this stuff. It feels off having all of this insider information that has nothing to do with Geno in the Geno thread.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord

Okay.

But now I wonder:
Were the two Tales of names brought from the same source?
As in one guy said "there've been talks for Lloyd" and other said "there've been talk for Yuri" completely oblivious to each other
or
one guy said "there've been talks for Yuri or Lloyd" and leaved at that.

I think it would help determine if Tales has actualy been a subject of talk at all, since someone could have just adlibbed a franchise to make a fake leak or two people had reason enough to believe in the same franchise.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
As long as they play and feel different, what's the issue? Do you play Link like Marth? Corrin like Roy? Ike like Pit? Cloud like Roy?
As long as the Gameplay is showing something a different feel and taste. I think it's a non-issue.
gameplay wise theres slight differences from the swordfighters ive cared to played but design wise? people arent mad because of the gameplay. theyre mad because most of them probably couldnt be told apart unless you played their games if they didnt have the names underneathe their icons.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
“Barely 1 in 7”?

By my count(yours plus Shulk and Toon Link), it’s literally 1 in 5, 15 of the 75 characters playable in the game are anime swordfighters.

You personally might be okay with getting two more through DLC, but especially since there’s a blind pass, many won’t be. One can get in relatively fine, but any more and you’ll start seeing immediate negative reactions.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
So ideal roster:
Geno
Banjo
Lloyd
Porky
Bandanna Dee/ Dixie Kong.

I'd buy that in a heartbeat
Geno and Banjo showing up as the first two would be enough for me to get the fighters pass.
All five choices are literally the greatest.
1. The most requested Square character for almost two decades
2. The most requested Rare/Microsoft character for almost two decades
3. A highly requested Bandai character for over a decade
4. A Mother rep since we didn't get one in Smash 3DS/Wii U
5. A highly requested Kirby character, mostly in Japan, and we haven't had a new Kirby rep since Brawl/A highly requested Donkey Kong character that was cut from Brawl and Smash 4.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You guys should really bring this stuff to the general thread or see if the mods can get a separate thread for this stuff. It feels off having all of this insider information that has nothing to do with Geno in the Geno thread.
General is a cluster ****; and I'd honestly prefer he stays here, where we can keep up with him

beans

Smash Lord
General is a cluster ****; and I'd honestly prefer he stays here, where we can keep up with him
Yeah
While general is the biggest place for talks, the speed of it makes harder to keep up with the important matter or off-topic posting.

slopdop

Smash Cadet
I actually like the idea of possibly having Lloyd as one of the 5. Namco definitely deserves to have another rep especially how most of the other third party companies already have 2-3 now. I also love dual wielding characters in general like TMNT's Leonardo for example, if the moveset's done really well I would definitely pick it up. Plus another Mii Costume upgrade to fighter to check off the list.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Geno and Banjo showing up as the first two would be enough for me to get the fighters pass.
All five choices are literally the greatest.
1. The most requested Square character for almost two decades
2. The most requested Rare/Microsoft character for almost two decades
3. A highly requested Bandai character for over a decade
4. A Mother rep since we didn't get one in Smash 3DS/Wii U
5. A highly requested Kirby character, mostly in Japan, and we haven't had a new Kirby rep since Brawl/A highly requested Donkey Kong character that was cut from Brawl and Smash 4.
Replace Porky with Ninten and that’s my actual prediction. Man I’m really hoping they show Geno first if he’s in... It’d put so many theories to rest and I can finally relax...

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Not really though. Ever since you dipped out as a result of the Grinch hoax, when the thread was at its most heated, the General thread has largely mellowed out.

At the very least it should be concurrent (as in posted to both threads), because:
  1. As mentioned, any insider information not having to do with Geno is inherently off topic in this thread
  2. General insider information and speculation would fit much better in the General thread, where anything relating to Ultimate can be discussed.
Either that or ask a mod if a thread can be made for this stuff because it makes little sense for it to be here other than to keep Geno community updated, but there's the Star Road Discord where this stuff could be shared with the community instead of using this thread.
Yeah
While general is the biggest place for talks, the speed of it makes harder to keep up with the important matter or off-topic posting.
It's still hard to keep up with these matters in the Geno thread, and it's even more difficult to keep up when statements are spread across the General and Geno threads. There needs to be some sort of consolidation and it makes little sense for it all to be here.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Amen.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Not really though. Ever since you dipped out as a result of the Grinch hoax, when the thread was at its most heated, the General thread has largely mellowed out.

At the very least it should be concurrent (as in posted to both threads), because:
  1. As mentioned, any insider information not having to do with Geno is inherently off topic in this thread
  2. General insider information and speculation would fit much better in the General thread, where anything relating to Ultimate can be discussed.
Either that or ask a mod if a thread can be made for this stuff because it makes little sense for it to be here other than to be within the Geno community itself, which has its own Discord where this stuff could be shared with the community instead of using this thread.

It's still hard to keep up with these matters in the Geno thread, and it's even more difficult to keep up when statements are spread across the General and Geno threads. There needs to be some sort of consolidation.
General is also pretty toxic; and I want to have actually nuanced arguments and discussions; not random troll bashing and negative memes.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Name starts with an L.
Wait, I think I know who you're talking about.
They took an "L" in a battle...
They're a rejected Dark Souls boss...
They were considered for a Fire Emblem boss...
They were considered for appearing in Monster Hunter...
They're bigger than Ridley... wait, is that legal--

Oh my god, it's... it's...
IT'S THE LORD OF LIGHTNING FROM ODYSEEY!

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
General is also pretty toxic; and (semi-colons connect independent clauses, so conjunctions aren't needed) I want to have actually nuanced arguments and discussions;, (commas connect dependent clauses, so a semi-colon is unneeded) not random troll bashing and negative memes.
This is a hasty generalization. Like I said, you largely haven't been on the General Thread since the height of the Box Theory and Grinch hoax arguments, when the thread was at its most toxic and negative.

And while I understand that you want "nuanced arguments and discussions," but there aren't many to be had about the topic of insider information.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
This is a hasty generalization. Like I said, you largely haven't been on the General Thread since the height of the Box Theory and Grinch hoax arguments, when the thread was at its most toxic and negative.

And while I understand that you want "nuanced arguments and discussions," but there aren't many to be had about the topic of insider information.
I mean passive aggressively correcting my grammar doesn't really sell me on how "not toxic" general is anymore tbh :ohwell:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I mean passive aggressively correcting my grammar doesn't really sell me on how "not toxic" general is anymore tbh :ohwell:
I'm sorry, it's something I said I'd do to help others improve their writing. I didn't mean to come off as passive aggressive or anything like that, I just genuinely want to see people's grammar improve. I meant to specify that, so my bad on that.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
The place has indeed chilled down, outside of one or two trolls you can recognize from a mile away.
I'd like them to stay here because its less convoluted here than in general, due to the amount of people, making it easier to strike conversations.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
That place is super toxic. I literally stopped going to general discussion thread for many reasons. One of them is people who feel super entitled to force their beliefs on others and being super passive aggresive when people don't agree with them. Since like august I've been only going to support threads, more chill and definitely way less toxic people. Never regretted my decision lol. Even if people say now it's better, I just feel it's super hard to keep up with how fast that thread goes anyway. I will pass…

Last edited:

JuryRigging

Smash Cadet

To be honest; I'm pretty sure that PolarPanda posts in other threads too. But if they prefer to post here; then I don't think anyone should see an issue with it.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
To be honest; I'm pretty sure that PolarPanda posts in other threads too. But if they prefer to post here; then I don't think anyone should see an issue with it.
All of his relevant posts outside of one or two are here. Fatmanonice is between both this thread and general, which leads to a lot of confusion.

I'm just saying there needs to be some sort of consolidation and I don't believe it makes sense to have it here. Whether it be in the General thread (whatever you may have against it aside), it's own thread, or somewhere else, the current distribution of information makes everything unclear and difficult to understand. Even with most of it in the Geno thread people don't know what's going on, nor does anyone want to dig through pages of content to piece it all together.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
That place is super toxic. I literally stopped going to general discussion thread for many reasons. One of them is people who feel super entitled to force their beliefs on others and being super passive aggresive when people don't agree with them. Since like august I've been only going to support threads, more chill and definitely way less toxic people. Never regretted my decision lol. Even if people say now it's better, I just feel it's super hard to keep up with how fast that thread goes anyway. I will pass…
It's just the "melting pot" of any forum tends to be the general.
You find any kind of people there, including the bad ones.
Of course some of those can be found in other threads, its just that the bigger quantity at a time can be found on general.

All of his relevant posts outside of one or two are here. Fatmanonice is between both this thread and general, which leads to a lot of confusion.

I'm just saying there needs to be some sort of consolidation and I don't believe it makes sense to have it here. Whether it be in the General thread (whatever you may have against it aside), it's own thread, or somewhere else, the current distribution of information makes everything unclear and difficult to understand. Even with most of it in the Geno thread people don't know what's going on, nor does anyone want to dig through pages of content to piece it all together.
The easiest solution is a independent thread for it, since it allows for the creation of a 1st post containing the info (also being able to be edited in anything changes) that could be easily found at any time without the need diving into specific pages.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

Wouldn't the same digging be required if we moved to general? What would be solved?

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The General thread is fine tbh.

There can be a bit of toxicity sometimes, but it's mostly pretty chill. It's nice to discuss with others there.

That being said, it'd be nice if this info could have its own thread, but it sounds weird for the mods to give it special treatment. I guess they could make a new thread solely for leaks/rumors in general, but last time it just turned into General Discussion 2.0...

I, myself, have no quarrels with it being in the Geno thread, but tbh it is pretty off-topic. At least the thread get's a lot more viewers every day :troll:

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Wouldn't the same digging be required if we moved to general? What would be solved?
For one, the problem of off-topic discussion. It's a general rule that off-topic discussion isn't allowed, and if this thread becomes primarily about that then Geno why is it the Geno thread? This place is for people to talk about Geno and why they want him in Smash. As it pertains to the SE rep I'll say that's on topic, but when boomer and shill characters not related to Geno are brought up and discussed the thread loses it point. As Fatmanonice said he posts info here for the sake of the Geno community, but this is a character discussion thread, not a community. The Star Road Discord exists for that reason, and information could be posted and discussed there before being posted to Smashboards.

I'll concede to you the point that digging would still be required if information dumps were moved to general, but people in General are used to people missing stuff after a couple of pages and I believe could better get everyone up to speed. Naturally, information from the General thread could then be quoted and discussed here if it pertains to Geno, creating a little bit more of a natural flow and preserving this thread.

Ultimately it's up to PolarPanda PolarPanda and Fatmanonice Fatmanonice considering they're the ones with the information, but I simply believe it'd make more sense to have this somewhere else.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It's just the "melting pot" of any forum tends to be the general.
You find any kind of people there, including the bad ones.
Of course some of those can be found in other threads, its just that the bigger quantity at a time can be found on general.
Yeah That's very true. Still, the quality of people I found on support threads in comparison to the general thread is a huge leap for me tho, lol. I find it less stressfull to go to a place i know what i will find rather than suffering through that thread till i find people I actually enjoy talking to. The stress of dealing with the toxic people is something I don't feel it's worth going through ever again. I don't feel like ruining my forum experience by forcing myself to go to a specific thread where i know i get more negative experience than a positive one. Something I ALWAYS complained about general thread, is the denial and negativity against any theory, rumor or, hell, simple personal fan desire towards a character, and the passive aggressive attitudes many take against you when you try to prove a point there. Support threads are the total opposite for me, even when people disagree there is an actual mental process to go through facts or re-check one self's opinions and even end agreeing with each other in the end, which definitely barely ever happens in the general thread and people just end pressing the "ignore" button because it's a lost cause to argue with such people. I'm happy where I am now, so I will still pass from coming back to that place anyway, lol. I also feel more organized by going to specific support threads anyway, it's way less work than having to catch up with so many pages where everything is being talked about and I just want to focus on the characters/news I care about. So yeaaah I will stil pass, lol.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Yeah That's very true. Still, the quality of people I found on support threads in comparison to the general thread is a huge leap for me tho, lol. I find it less stressfull to go to a place i know what i will find rather than suffering through that thread till i find people I actually enjoy talking to. The stress of dealing with the toxic people is something I don't feel it's worth going through ever again. I don't feel like ruining my forum experience by forcing myself to go to a specific thread where i know i get more negative experience than a positive one. Something I ALWAYS complained about general thread, is the denial and negativity against any theory, rumor or, hell, simple personal fan desire towards a character, and the passive aggressive attitudes many take against you when you try to prove a point there. Support threads are the total opposite for me, even when people disagree there is an actual mental process to go through facts or re-check one self's opinions and even end agreeing with each other in the end, which definitely barely ever happens in the general thread and people just end pressing the "ignore" button because it's a lost cause to argue with such people. I'm happy where I am now, so I will still pass from coming back to that place anyway, lol. I also feel more organized by going to specific support threads anyway, it's way less work than having to catch up with so many pages where everything is being talked about and I just want to focus on the characters/news I care about. So yeaaah I will stil pass, lol.
That's besides the point though.

If you want to stick to character support threads then that's your choice and I'm happy that you're happy.

But discussing insider information unrelated to Geno in the Geno thread is off-topic discussion and against the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom