• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

domriver

Smash Lord
PolarPanda PolarPanda im sure you aware of that tweet that was shown here. Worlds will change. Thats a big metaphor for a reaction to an announcement. You wouldnt happen to know anything about that would you? hmm wonder if its even Nintendo related.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it at all since it's not truly verified information at all. but I figure it's safe to, considering Hitagi also admitted to hearing Lloyd a few days ago (well, hitagi didn't mention lloyd by name, rather just the franchise. But still).
But did he say that he just "heard" as in "it's under negotiations" or "confirmed in the game" type of deal?

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
But did he say that he just "heard" as in "it's under negotiations" or "confirmed in the game" type of deal?
Given what I've heard, I'd come to the conclusion that Hitagi heard Lloyd is definitely DLC. I can say that's what multiple people have heard. However, the place this information comes from hasn't been verified, that's the problem. We'll have to wait and see, but at least it means Lloyd has a shot.

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
Old Smash fans
Fallen off Radar
Starts with L.

Lloyd didn't fall off radar was he not mentioned back during that time?

Leon S. Kennedy
Lumine from Megaman X9? i think
Lara Croft ( but this is SE character so doesn't count)
Likitung ( i wouldnt mind)

All these characters here start with L
Nah, No way they’d add Lucas! He’s from a japan exclusive! /s

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
But Lloyd is a very weird pick

Yuri Lowell is the most popular in Japan, and his game is coming out next january

Yuri Lowell is so popular he is banned from the fan favorite polls from Namco otherwise he is always first, that's to tell you how he is popular
So in a sense yeah, Lloyd would be appreciated by "boomers" but zoomers would be mad because it's not Yuri

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Given what I've heard, I'd come to the conclusion that Hitagi heard Lloyd is definitely DLC. I can say that's what multiple people have heard. However, the place this information comes from hasn't been verified, that's the problem. We'll have to wait and see, but at least it means Lloyd has a shot.
Thanks for the info. ^^
But this seems odd that it would be a character that would have been forgotten over the years.
I distinctively recall people asking for Lloyd even as recent as Smash 4. Maybe this is a third DLC character we're talking about here.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Yuri Lowell is the most popular in Japan, and his game is coming out next january

Yuri Lowell is so popular he is banned from the fan favorite polls from Namco otherwise he is always first, that's to tell you how he is popular
So in a sense yeah, Lloyd would be appreciated by "boomers" but zoomers would be mad because it's not Yuri
Why was Lloyd the one to get a costume in smash 4 then?

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice

The Tales series has 20 years of history, how did you decide on Lloyd for the costume?
Sakurai: I’m not sure if there was any other appropriate choice?
For example, how about the protagonist of the first game, Cress? [TN: From Tales of Phantasia]
Sakurai: I really think it has to be Lloyd here (laughs). I could have gone down the route of choosing from the first entry in the series, but for old games it’s somewhat common for the editorial supervision from the original creator to make the process difficult.

Sakurai considers Lloyd the definitive Tales rep.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Lloyd had a stronger pressence in Nintendo (first game on gamecube and then a sequel on wii) + he has been in other crossovers already + sakurai even said if there was a tales of character, it would be him + his mii costume is also missing now and it even had 2 canon moves… I think he is super likely and makes perfect sense. Yuri of course is more recent but people worldwide would buy lloyd more due to their connections to him already. Also if Rex didn't make it cause his game came after they decided stuff, I don't see Yuri being chosen for DLC if Vesperia got confirmed for switch just recently as well… I dunno, Lloyd, in my opinion, makes more sense for many reasons. Also, interesting tidbit, there will be a tales of anniversary broadcast on December 8th, a week before the actual Tales of Anniversary, and it will be featuring Lloyd Irving's VA. Also, according to blueneuronDOTnet blueneuronDOTnet , the VA (i'm not sure if the english or japanese one tho, I asked him but haven't gotten an answer on that yet) has been avoiding Smash Ultimate questions, which he never did for Brawl and Wii U…kinda suspicious if you ask me.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I’m actually quite hoping it’s Lloyd now after realizing something: Even Nintendo would understand that making 40% of the DLC pass anime swordsman would end up being a bad idea after the reactions to Smash 4’s DLC. Having Lloyd in would more than likely mean no sword-wielding Square rep.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I’m actually quite hoping it’s Lloyd now after realizing something: Even Nintendo would understand that making 40% of the DLC pass anime swordsman would end up being a bad idea after the reactions to Smash 4’s DLC. Having Lloyd in would more than likely mean no sword-wielding Square rep.
The problem with Smash 4 wasn't swordsman, it was FE specifically. I dont know why people complain about sword characters, they aren't even nearly a third of the roster lmao.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
well i wont complain he was in my top most wanted

my only fear is that we get too much people with swords as DLC
That might actually leads even more towards choices like Geno to avoid that with any other square enix characters

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Which basically leaves slime and Geno. And apparently most insiders consider slime the least likely dragon quest rep. There's always a chance they'll do multiple anime swordsman in the dlc, but it bodes well for Geno for sure.

Edit: I personally don't mind swordsmen at all. I like them. I just say this because a lot of smash fans hate them.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You know that they could have went with the idea to complete the Holy JRPG trinity with Dragon Quest/Chrono Trigger and Tales of right?
Having FF/DQ and Tales of Together in a game would be quite a feat that make the game Special/Ultimate

Last edited:

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
PolarPanda PolarPanda im sure you aware of that tweet that was shown here. Worlds will change. Thats a big metaphor for a reaction to an announcement. You wouldnt happen to know anything about that would you? hmm wonder if its even Nintendo related.
"Worlds Will Change" seems to be some kind of tagline for this year's VGAs:
1111.jpg

For context, this is from around the beginning of November.

Last edited:

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Lloyd is one of my most wanted characters, close behind Geno. To get him, and possibly Geno as well? That's the definitive cream dream.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You know that they could have went with the idea to complete the Holy JRPG trinity with Dragon Quest/Chrono Trigger and Tales of right?
Having FF/DQ and Tales of Together in a game would be quite a feat that make the game Special/Ultimate
This is a legitimate possibility. And as much as I don't care about dragon quest (even after playing 7 and 9) I can't deny that would be cool. I still hope for Geno, and if not Geno then Sephiroth. But in that light Dragon Quest would be a much less bitter pill to swallow.

D

Deleted member

All I need for the DLC is Geno and Ninten :) Lloyd would be pretty cool too

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yeah that's what I was thinking earlier too. It just depends on whether Nintendo is strategically choosing characters or just making whatever picks they want and taking whatever characters are offered to them.

The problem with Smash 4 wasn't swordsman, it was FE specifically. I dont know why people complain about sword characters, they aren't even nearly a third of the roster lmao.
There are already 13 though if you include the Mii fighter. That's kind of a lot. They don't have to take up 1/3 of the roster to feel oversaturated. Lloyd at least switches things up but because he may be in I'm hoping even harder the SE rep isn't Crono, Sephiroth, or Erdrick.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
View attachment 181100

You're really worried Blank's moveset WON'T be incredible? LOL JK

Something the new kids wouldn't get, huh? Hmmm... if Interplay hadn't put all their IPs up for sale, I'd immediately jump towards Earthworm Jim or Bad Mr. Frosty or Boogerman or something like that. Many of the Nintendo characters have maintained some kind of presence across generations so... I'd immediately imagine something that was popular back then, kinda died but is still beloved by people who were around for it, wanted for Smash but then it didn't happen so people just kinda gave up. Struggling to think who it could possibly be.
If it counts for anything, Gameloft's HD remake of the first Earthworm Jim was taken down from PSN and XBLA earlier this year (although the original version and its sequel are still on Steam). There's no reason for them to do this at all unless Interplay is up to something.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Didn't realize that Yuri was that big. Yowza, this will be a fun conclusion.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Name starts with an L.
Ah ha, I knew Linkle would get in.

Or it's Lanky Kong.

Edit: Oh. Well, at least I knew Heihachi was out of the running.

This reminds me, there was an incident a while ago on the general that involved Graizen trying to ask Hitagi for details on characters that might be coming, and was told it'd be a Bamco rep. Given Graizen's reputation over the general thread,, things got ugly really fast until proof of him not faking the info was shown and his innocence was proven.

A Tales character got uncovered in part thanks to the biggest Digimon fan on the board. Fitting, isn't it?

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Didn't realize that Yuri was that big. Yowza, this will be a fun conclusion.
Wait.
Wait wait wait.
Don't you dare tell me that TWO fo the biggest Tales of characters might have been actually being considered.
My heart can't take it :drflip:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Actually, Lloyd has been one of my most expected DLC choices for a while now. He has always been in a pretty unique position as a Smash request. He's popular, from a currently active and well selling franchise, has pretty large connections with Nintendo being a part of Tales of Symphonia on Gamecube and Wii (And can we please get the collection on Switch so I can try them haha), is basically the ideal representative of Tales, and is also a part of Bandai Namco. Which, honestly, I really think Bandai Namco should have had a second character in base game when Capcom and Sega both already do as well.

Also, Geno and Lloyd would be completing another sort of set from the pre-Brawl era in terms of requests, so that would be an amazing combo to have DLC wise... And having Lloyd would probably make it a lot less likely to see another swordsman honestly as Sakurai seems to want to pull back from them in Ultimate as is.

Plus if we somehow got Banjo Kazooie as DLC too, then **** it, that would legit just be the most hype DLC season ever and would make a lot of fans happy.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I kinda figure the character would be found out after how many new hints we were getting, but dang that happened quick. As for Lloyd, he'd be pretty cool. I might as well play his game now.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Actually, Lloyd has been one of my most expected DLC choices for a while now. He has always been in a pretty unique position as a Smash request. He's popular, from a currently active and well selling franchise, has pretty large connections with Nintendo being a part of Tales of Symphonia on Gamecube and Wii (And can we please get the collection on Switch so I can try them haha), is basically the ideal representative of Tales, and is also a part of Bandai Namco. Which, honestly, I really think Bandai Namco should have had a second character in base game when Capcom and Sega both already do as well.

Also, Geno and Lloyd would be completing another sort of set from the pre-Brawl era in terms of requests, so that would be an amazing combo to have DLC wise... And having Lloyd would probably make it a lot less likely to see another swordsman honestly as Sakurai seems to want to pull back from them in Ultimate as is.

Plus if we somehow got Banjo Kazooie as DLC too, then **** it, that would legit just be the most hype DLC season ever and would make a lot of fans happy.
...which is precisely what that Treehouse guy was implying in that article linked a few pages ago--this DLC is something the fans will not want to miss. Could be hyperbole, but maybe, just maybe...

Nintendo listened for this round of DLC.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Wait, we may be getting Lloyd!? That's lit! :O
I was actually watching a video the other day ago talking about how he'd be a perfect fit And how much he wanted him, it then caused me to being for the idea. If he's coming, that's super cool!

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Not a third, no, but specifically “anime swordsmen” make up about 1 in 5 characters right now by my count, with six of them being introduced in the previous game. People are expectedly a bit tired of them.
The issue is, if they use two of the five DLC character slots to get such a trinity going, people are inevitably going to be pretty annoyed due to lack of character variety.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Not a third, no, but specifically “anime swordsmen” make up about 1 in 5 characters right now by my count, with six of them being introduced in the previous game. People are expectedly a bit tired of them.

The issue is, if they use two of the five DLC character slots to get such a trinity going, people are inevitably going to be pretty annoyed due to lack of character variety.
Tbh, Llyod use dual-wield and tons of "Arts" that No one use or are close to use int he whole Smash bros roster
Crono/Erdrick would be Magic Swordman, like Dopped Robins.

I fail to see the "lack of character variety" here.

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
It needs to be Lloyd, Lloyd had a mii costume in smash 4 and so did some of the newcomers in smash 4. And you know who else got a mii costume... GENO :D

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Fatmanonice was referring to Yuri as the Mr. Dink. If he based the chances of Lloyd getting in as higher due to the perceived lack of popularity of Yuri... I worry for Lloyd's chances.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Tbh, Llyod use dual-wield and tons of "Arts" that No one use or are close to use int he whole Smash bros roster
Crono/Erdrick would be Magic Swordman, like Dopped Robins.

I fail to see the "lack of character variety" here.
Honestly, they could each play like no other character in the game, and you’d still see rioting if both got in.

“Too many anime swordsmen” is already a meme by now, especially after Sakurai’s comments on the subject. Having 2/5 of the characters turn out to be exactly that will be a severely unpopular development, especially when it comes to a blind pass.

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
i swear to god if mii costume theory is real
I believe in the Mii Costume Theory, It will generally be a Win-Win for all of us not to mention its easier on the devs they already have some stuff to work with so it makes sense, Akira still uses the same blockly Design, Geno we already have the body but not the face and Lloyd...well...they probably would have to do more work on him but...it works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom