• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not really though. Ever since you dipped out as a result of the Grinch hoax, when the thread was at its most heated, the General thread has largely mellowed out.

At the very least it should be concurrent (as in posted to both threads), because:
  1. As mentioned, any insider information not having to do with Geno is inherently off topic in this thread
  2. General insider information and speculation would fit much better in the General thread, where anything relating to Ultimate can be discussed.
Either that or ask a mod if a thread can be made for this stuff because it makes little sense for it to be here other than to keep Geno community updated, but there's the Star Road Discord where this stuff could be shared with the community instead of using this thread.

It's still hard to keep up with these matters in the Geno thread, and it's even more difficult to keep up when statements are spread across the General and Geno threads. There needs to be some sort of consolidation and it makes little sense for it all to be here.
General is also pretty toxic; and I want to have actually nuanced arguments and discussions; not random troll bashing and negative memes.
And I left the damn place when everyone randomly started drooling over Katalina.

Also, I'd rather go to threads that don't make it a habit of mocking Digimon supporters.

That's besides the point though.

If you want to stick to character support threads then that's your choice and I'm happy that you're happy.

But discussing insider information unrelated to Geno in the Geno thread is off-topic discussion and against the rules.
The mods don't even notice support threads most of the time, otherwise you'd see double-post warnings all the time.

Besides, everything that could be discussed about Geno has been done to death, at this point it's just stalling for time.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If the toxic people over on general REALLY wanna know what's up with Smash; it wouldn't kill them to take a little hop over to a much more positive place.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Oh, yeah, I forgot about the toxic stuff related to certain characters and whoever mentions them.

Doesn't happen too often tbh; personally don't see it much at all now, but it does come up every now and then...

Don't really know why people bashed on Graizen; not every one of his posts was Agumon, though even if they were I, personally, wouldn't care. He seemed cool.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Funnily enough, all this talk of where to put the discussion has in and of itself derailed the discussion.

Maybe let the mods decide? They're usually pretty good at deciding this stuff and calling it out.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Funnily enough, all this talk of where to put the discussion has in and of itself derailed the discussion.

Maybe let the mods decide? They're usually pretty good at deciding this stuff and calling it out.
We were doing perfectly fine until the mod's swooped in. I think they should just leave us be. (although i know how tempting it is to poke the Geno fans)

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

That's true. Maybe Cyn Cyn (you're the only guy I know) could figure something out? Bring up the old leak thread and make stricter rules for it maybe?
Oh, yeah, I forgot about the toxic stuff related to certain characters and whoever mentions them.

Doesn't happen too often tbh; personally don't see it much at all now, but it does come up every now and then...

Don't really know why people bashed on Graizen; not every one of his posts was Agumon, though even if they were I, personally, wouldn't care. He seemed cool.
From what I know, the thing with Graizen is that he constantly derailed discussion to bring up Agumon or presented blatantly fake 4chan leaks with Digimon in them to drum up Agumon discussion. It wasn't about Agumon, I'm pretty sure General's talked about him before without going up in flames, and Agumon has a fair amount of support.

This the last post I'll make about this for the sake of getting discussion back on track.

To do so, I'm not necessarily a big fan of Geno, but what makes you guys like him so much? Is it his character? Super Mario RPG as a whole? Moveset potential? Or something else?

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
Yeah That's very true. Still, the quality of people I found on support threads in comparison to the general thread is a huge leap for me tho, lol. I find it less stressfull to go to a place i know what i will find rather than suffering through that thread till i find people I actually enjoy talking to. The stress of dealing with the toxic people is something I don't feel it's worth going through ever again. I don't feel like ruining my forum experience by forcing myself to go to a specific thread where i know i get more negative experience than a positive one. Something I ALWAYS complained about general thread, is the denial and negativity against any theory, rumor or, hell, simple personal fan desire towards a character, and the passive aggressive attitudes many take against you when you try to prove a point there. Support threads are the total opposite for me, even when people disagree there is an actual mental process to go through facts or re-check one self's opinions and even end agreeing with each other in the end, which definitely barely ever happens in the general thread and people just end pressing the "ignore" button because it's a lost cause to argue with such people. I'm happy where I am now, so I will still pass from coming back to that place anyway, lol. I also feel more organized by going to specific support threads anyway, it's way less work than having to catch up with so many pages where everything is being talked about and I just want to focus on the characters/news I care about. So yeaaah I will stil pass, lol.
Fair enough.
Even if there are several clashing people with opinions in general, its still worth to hear them despite the composure of their speakers.
One needs to hear all opinions to truly understand the other individual's logic and know the reason why it still holds it as their own.
Even if general can be toxic at times, its still worth to hear it as to not lose understanding of another persons.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The way I see it, let a leaker leak wherever they want. Some like having the comfort of revealing stuff in threads where they know people and where steady paced discussion can arise.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
People are basically piledriving any "non advertisement" character on general for being unrealistic, so I don't advise bringing Geno discussion there. Best to stay here.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Fair enough.
Even if there are several clashing people with opinions in general, its still worth to hear them despite the composure of their speakers.
One needs to hear all opinions to truly understand the other individual's logic and know the reason why it still holds it as their own.
Even if general can be toxic at times, its still worth to hear it as to not lose understanding of another persons.
Oh I don't have problem listening to others, the problem comes when it's not the same way from the other side, lol.

So coming back to Geno specific topic guys… a question just popped in my head… Do you guys think we would get a CGI reveal trailer for each character, or a regular trailer with just situations made using the in-game models? (such as the cloud trailer), and if so, what do you think the CGI animation for Geno be about? I remember that idea of him being asleep or something next to the other toys in that bedroom, it was such a good idea… I would hope that's still in the cards if they use it.

beans

Smash Lord
Geno is a really neat earthbound character. Hope he makes an appearance in that new sequel to earthbound, delta-whatchamacallit.
They made a really weird incarnation of him in the Switch port of the prequel.
Too anime.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Complaining about "Too many anime swordsmen" in a japanese company game with 13 characters by pushing it to the extreme out of 69 in the main game with (:ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultike::ultlink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultroy::ultchrom::ultyounglink:) 6 playing Exactly the same (:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultpit::ultdarkpit:) just show how dumb that argument is.
It's barely 1/7 of the roster. And if they bring gameplay veriety, while also being Gaming Icons, Idc if they're anime or western oriented. Just let them in.
For me personally, I always end up being fine with whoever joins the roster. But it does get to a point where I feel a bit overwhelmed at the amount of swordfighters, especially during Smash 4 base roster/DLC reveals. It's great to represent a character who happens to be a sword-wielder, but I will admit that it does get to a point where it feels over saturated, even though the numbers show that it isn't the case. As someone who has no interest in Fire Emblem, it's a bit annoying seeing so many characters from that series when half of them were created to play like someone else. Roy may not count as an echo, but c'mon he was clearly designed to be a clone of Marth. The only truly unique Fire Emblem characters are :ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin: and :ultcorrin:.

In fact, I want to look at how many swordfighters are actually unique on their own: :ultmetaknight::ultlink::ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultcloud::ultpit::ultshulk:. And the clones are :ultroy::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultdarkpit:

That's 9 originals, 6 clones. But let's also look at how many swordfighters use a counter:

:ultcorrin::ultmarth::ultike::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultroy::ultshulk:

7 use a counter as their down special.

My point is, it seems like swordfighters are just easy to implement and they often copy/paste moves from each other (most notably the counter). This may be the reason people always bring up the "anime swordsman" argument. I know Sakurai said that echoes don't take slots away from other characters, but me personally, I'd rather have the development team's time and energy spent on someone completely unique instead of receiving the same character over and over marketed as someone different.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So coming back to Geno specific topic guys… a question just popped in my head… Do you guys think we would get a CGI reveal trailer for each character, or a regular trailer with just situations made using the in-game models? (such as the cloud trailer), and if so, what do you think the CGI animation for Geno be about? I remember that idea of him being asleep or something next to the other toys in that bedroom, it was such a good idea… I would hope that's still in the cards if they use it.
I think we are likely to get just in game models, unless they go with the tie in trailer idea I brought up before...

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
For me personally, I always end up being fine with whoever joins the roster. But it does get to a point where I feel a bit overwhelmed at the amount of swordfighters, especially during Smash 4 base roster/DLC reveals. It's great to represent a character who happens to be a sword-wielder, but I will admit that it does get to a point where it feels over saturated, even though the numbers show that it isn't the case. As someone who has no interest in Fire Emblem, it's a bit annoying seeing so many characters from that series when half of them were created to play like someone else. Roy may not count as an echo, but c'mon he was clearly designed to be a clone of Marth. The only truly unique Fire Emblem characters are :ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin: and :ultcorrin:.

In fact, I want to look at how many swordfighters are actually unique on their own: :ultmetaknight::ultlink::ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultcloud::ultpit::ultshulk:. And the clones are :ultroy::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultdarkpit:

That's 9 originals, 6 clones. But let's also look at how many swordfighters use a counter:

:ultcorrin::ultmarth::ultike::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultroy::ultshulk:

7 use a counter as their down special.

My point is, it seems like swordfighters are just easy to implement and they often copy/paste moves from each other (most notably the counter). This may be the reason people always bring up the "anime swordsman" argument. I know Sakurai said that echoes don't take slots away from other characters, but me personally, I'd rather have the development team's time and energy spent on someone completely unique instead of receiving the same character over and over marketed as someone different. While I don't think swordfighters are themselves a problem, I think the way they are implemented is.

beans

Smash Lord
Oh I don't have problem listening to others, the problem comes when it's not the same way from the other side, lol.

I still find it worth to try and understand why someone hold its own to that point.

I'm expecting the DLC trailers we had during Smash 4

That's true. Maybe Cyn Cyn (you're the only guy I know) could figure something out? Bring up the old leak thread and make stricter rules for it maybe?

From what I know, the thing with Graizen is that he constantly derailed discussion to bring up Agumon or presented blatantly fake 4chan leaks with Digimon in them to drum up Agumon discussion. It wasn't about Agumon, I'm pretty sure General's talked about him before without going up in flames, and Agumon has a fair amount of support.

This the last post I'll make about this for the sake of getting discussion back on track.

To do so, I'm not necessarily a big fan of Geno, but what makes you guys like him so much? Is it his character? Super Mario RPG as a whole? Moveset potential? Or something else?
Geno is a nice character with a fun potential moveset that Sakurai already recognized. Tough similar to all characters I support, it tends to be my affection of its game that keeps me going.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Tbh I haven't even played SMRPG yet, but from the little I've seen from it I find myself interested as it seems fun, plus it's a Mario game and I'm a Mario fan/Nintendo fan in general. I'm hoping for an SNES Classic this December, not just for SMRPG tbh but it will most-likely be the first game I play on it.

As for Geno, I only learned about him through the Smash community, and found interest and liked him simply for his, in my opinion, cool design which seems to have a sense of magic. From what I've read about his character, I started to like him even more, and now he's basically one of my favorites up there with Banjo-Kazooie, Skull Kid, Minecraft's Creeper, etc.

I also like how Geno is overpowered with his 9999 damage.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

..... All of the above.

If you want to stick to character support threads then that's your choice and I'm happy that you're happy.

But discussing insider information unrelated to Geno in the Geno thread is off-topic discussion and against the rules.

Are you genuinely trying to strongarm them into posting in the general thread by suggesting what they're doing here is breaking the rules? What a passive-aggressive move.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If you have the time, I recommend this video.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
In my case I'm 100% supporting the character for his fans. I just barely played the game for the first time during early November, and i definitely liked Geno, always had him in my team and all (he is insanely useful, I swear…), but I ended liking the game overall more than just the character. Dunno I guess the game as an all had the real charm for me. I was supporting geno way before playing the game tho, simply because I think his design and the concept behind him is super cool, and being a SE fan, I like the idea of a SE mario character, lol. I guess my case it's a very unusual case as to why I support the character…

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

The only thing that was off topic was Lloyd, and that was sort of just a derailment of conversation. Almost all discussion here is related to Geno or the square rep in general.

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice

The vast majority of discussion leak type discussion is related to the square rep. Stop threatening people.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can say that I support Geno for a few reasons.

1. So the Smash supporters can be happy.
2. Because I played SMRPG as a lad.
3. I'm genuinely interested as to which of his attacks and special moves would be chosen.
4. So that Bowser can get his damn castle stage already.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Are you genuinely trying to strongarm them into posting in the general thread by suggesting what they're doing here is breaking the rules? What a passive-aggressive move.
I was simply expressing an opinion for clarity's sake, but since I post in the General Thread I'm surely toxic and passive-aggressive compared to the Geno thread, which is highly inclusive yet has been hostile towards me from the get go.

I'm sorry I even entered this thread. Carry on.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I was simply expressing an opinion for clarity's sake, but since I post in the General Thread I'm surely toxic and passive-aggressive compared to the Geno thread, which is highly inclusive yet has been hostile towards me from the get go.

saying you're not passive aggressive while being passive aggressive in the same sentence..... you're really not helping your case, dude. If you want us to move; you've got to actually give us a reason to like, move.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

...You really did not help yourself with how you said that.

Last edited:

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice

I'm sorry if you feel attacked, but you're the one who is threatening to call the mod police because of a brief side conversation about another character (like 2 pages of the 450+ in this thread).

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

I think the main thing is that people are used to the way things are in this thread, and you're suggesting we stop it, and calling in the mods. People are always going to react aggressively when someone threatens something they care about. I know that wasn't your intention, but that's kind of how it came across. For the record, we regularly discuss the square rep with people who think it won't be Geno and mostly don't have any problems. This thread doesn't usually get upset so quickly.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace

This is so sad, can we hit 50 likes.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Yikes! That was totally not a passive-aggressive response whatsoever. Way to disprove what I said earlier. Have a nice evening :^)

Graizen

Smash Champion

Very simple, people don't want agumon in place of characters they want.
Even so , Agumon has alot more chances proven by facts than any other Bandai Namco characters.

And you are welcome on the Agumon thread if you want.

Last edited:

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice
What other nintendo franchises do ya'll think would be cool to turn into a JRPG? I've always thought it would be kinda interesting to expand a bit on what Zelda II did and make a fully fledged LoZ game in that mold. Link even has the silent protagonist thing down.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You say somthing stupid and hypocritical: people are gonna call you out for it. Simple as that.
I'm not saying we shouldn't call him out on it. I'm saying 6 people just quoted him and he hasn't responded yet. Let's stop for a minute and see what he has to say before we keep doing it.

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
I feel like there's a lot of heart to what made SMRPG, The Game's Legacy with the Timed Hits Mechanic, Square and Nintendo's Then Special Relationship and the uniqueness of how the game shaped to be is what attracts me the most. Without SMRPG, M&L Would've never existed and i wish to see a lot of the characters built within The Seven Stars to reappear in other RPG games. Imagine a Mario Kart with Characters ranging from Donkey Kong Country, Warioware and SMRPG in the future, wouldn't that be awesome?

Oh and Geno means a lot to the strength of Square and Nintendo's creative minds.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
What other nintendo franchises do ya'll think would be cool to turn into a JRPG? I've always thought it would be kinda interesting to expand a bit on what Zelda II did and make a fully fledged LoZ game in that mold. Link even has the silent protagonist thing down.
Kirby
The only problem would be trying to make Kirby not op so you dont need to handicap yourself with not using him.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Kirby could be fun.

Edit: Drat, :ultgreninja:'d again!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom