• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys have played the Mother series? Being how SMRPG and Mother are both JRPGs, I'm quite curious to see if there's any overlap here.
Mother (Earthbound Beginnings on Wii U) and Mother 2 (Earthbound) are the only ones I’ve done to completion, have a fan translated version of Mother 3 on a GBA cartridge, but haven’t got around to it due to the current backlog that I have. :lol:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I've beaten Earthbound 0 and Earthbound. I played through half? of Mother 3 but never finished it.
This is a game that makes any human cry at the end. Get ready. XP
And what I meant was the animation of transformation that Bowser and Ganondorf share. I didn't recall seeing it with Dracula, but I might be mistaken on this

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I was playing Super Mario Odyssey earlier today and I just thought of something...

What if there was a Geno costume to buy at a shop in Odyssey? I'd so get it. Also, what if the Geno doll was in Odyssey and we could actually possess the doll and use its attacks against enemies and a boss? That would be so awesome. If I were to pick an area where the Geno doll would be in, it'd probably be in the Wooded Kingdom or New Donk City. Geno is made out of wood and it's my favorite kingdom, I don't see why not; as for New Donk City, there's a tank there and using the Geno doll for obstacles and against enemies in New Donk City would be cool.

Such a missed opportunity, but I doubt Square would even allow it. A costume is still possible, however, Square would probably want actual money with that.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey, I have an interesting SMRPG related question for you all. How do you think is the most underrated SMRPG character?

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I was playing Super Mario Odyssey earlier today and I just thought of something...

What if there was a Geno costume to buy at a shop in Odyssey? I'd so get it. Also, what if the Geno doll was in Odyssey and we could actually possess the doll and use its attacks against enemies and a boss? That would be so awesome. If I were to pick an area where the Geno doll would be in, it'd probably be in the Wooded Kingdom or New Donk City. Geno is made out of wood and it's my favorite kingdom, I don't see why not; as for New Donk City, there's a tank there and using the Geno doll for obstacles and against enemies in New Donk City would be cool.

Such a missed opportunity, but I doubt Square would even allow it. A costume is still possible, however, Square would probably want actual money with that.
I’d see him in Wooded Kingdom (if Square wasn’t stingy and allowed it), but yeah, Geno and even Mallow appearing as playable characters in future Mario Kart and Mario Party games/DLC. :grin:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird

Man, that'd be amazing. It would be such a throwback with the Wooded Kingdom placement. Maaaannn, I really wish there could be a way for Nintendo to buy the SMRPG rights from Square.

D

Deleted member

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys have played the Mother series? Being how SMRPG and Mother are both JRPGs, I'm quite curious to see if there's any overlap here.
You can't find a more close-minded Mother series fan than me. I have played Earthbound ten times, Earthbound Beginnings 2 times, and I am playing Mother 3 for the 2nd time. Mother 3 is my favorite game ever. I also love Super Mario RPG, I have played it twice, and it's my second favorite game ever

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice

That would be pretty neat, but pretty impossible

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice
I've played Earthbound once, but never got around to playing the other games. I really want to find some time during the holidays to play through it again

paper roxy

Smash Ace
mother 3 and earthbound are some of my favorite games! i didnt like mother at all though, waiting for that one snes earthbound hack remake of it to come out (hopefully before i croak lol) to try it again to see if i actually like it

DIY

Smash Apprentice
I played through all of the Mother/Earthbound games a few years before Smash 4 came out. The series is absolutely amazing. Off the top of my head, some of the big overlaps between SMRPG and the Mother series that I can think of are the awesome humor in all games, the extremely well-made unique characters, and the fantastic settings in each game that allows players to get lost in.

Hey, I have an interesting SMRPG related question for you all. How do you think is the most underrated SMRPG character?
Oh boy, tough to say since I haven't played the game in years but if I had to pick one, I would say Czar Dragon. Everything about him caught me off guard, from the way the fireballs formed together to create him, to him faking you out and having a second form, to him causing another fake out by being the fake boss before the Axem Rangers. The Axem Rangers are awesome, evidently, but I feel that Czar Dragon is overlooked because of them for everything that he does.

D

Deleted member

I played through all of the Mother/Earthbound games a few years before Smash 4 came out. The series is absolutely amazing. Off the top of my head, some of the big overlaps between SMRPG and the Mother series that I can think of are the awesome humor in all games, the extremely well-made unique characters, and the fantastic settings in each game that allows players to get lost in.

Oh boy, tough to say since I haven't played the game in years but if I had to pick one, I would say Czar Dragon. Everything about him caught me off guard, from the way the fireballs formed together to create him, to him faking you out and having a second form, to him causing another fake out by being the fake boss before the Axem Rangers. The Axem Rangers are awesome, evidently, but I feel that Czar Dragon is overlooked because of them for everything that he does.
I also find that Super Mario RPG appeals to Mother fans, and vice versa. That's why I would be ecstatic for some sort of crossover between the two :)

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
I brought this character up once already, but Blade is the most neglected member of the Smithy Gang.

Oh wait, I take that back...Boomer is. I hardly see anyone talk about him, but the guy was literally entrusted with guarding Bowser’s Keep (the only link to Smithy’s Dimention), while the others were sent to do the grunt work and scavenge for star pieces. A last-line-of-defense type of guy. Plus he had such an honorable aura about him, which really contrasted with the brashness or insanity of the other gang members.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Funny, I have a similar opinion of Boomer. Despite being a member of the Smithy Gang, as well as one o the last members you face, and even in a local that is iconic to the introduction of the game, he is majorly overlooked. I feel this is very much due to him being immediately followed by Exor, the battle that the game has been building up to since he impaled Bowser's Keep. And it's a crying shame, as I rather like his Samurai design and the way he went out compared to the rest of the Smithy Gang members.

D

Deleted member

I brought this character up once already, but Blade is the most neglected member of the Smithy Gang.

Oh wait, I take that back...Boomer is. I hardly see anyone talk about him, but the guy was literally entrusted with guarding Bowser’s Keep (the only link to Smithy’s Dimention), while the others were sent to do the grunt work and scavenge for star pieces. A last-line-of-defense type of guy. Plus he had such an honorable aura about him, which really contrasted with the brashness or insanity of the other gang members.
Boomer vs Zoomer

Sorry I had to

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know what, how about we rank the Smithy Gang? Among Mack, Bowyer, Yaridovich, the Axem Rangers, Zoomer(Or Blade, I just kinda found that name funny), Boomer, Exor, and Smithy, who do you think is the best and who do you think is the worst(Or least good, I honestly don't dislike any of these characters)?

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Actually Dracula does transform as well. But I guess you do fight both forms of his
I'd love Dracula as a fighter. Forget about his transformation, that could just be used for his final smash.
Man, that'd be amazing. It would be such a throwback with the Wooded Kingdom placement. Maaaannn, I really wish there could be a way for Nintendo to buy the SMRPG rights from Square.
I think I know why they won't:
1. It could be because of Shigeru Miyamoto since he made Geno and has the authority of the Mario characters. Another company can't buy Geno, like Sakurai himself, because they have to get Miyamoto's permission; it's always a no from him, and he's not a big fan of Mario characters that come from extended lore... hell, he wasn't even a fan of Rosalina back in Galaxy.
2. I thought they didn't want to buy Geno or Mallow because they remind Nintendo of Square are their split-up.
3. Square won't let go of their past and sees Nintendo as a "Soviet Union" from long ago, hence why they don't want to sell them nor offer to give the SMRPG characters to them. They probably did offer to give them to Nintendo back when they split-up, but Miyamoto was probably like, "No, **** you, guys, you can keep them since they remind us of you."

They should both just let go of their pasts and call in a peace treaty. I mean, after all these FF games are coming to the Switch, they seem like good friends again. Square should just offer to give or sell them to Nintendo at this point. Even the Mario RPG characters seem to be more popular than the Paper Mario and M&L characters. Also, if buying them is the case, then Sakurai wouldn't have a problem getting Geno in Smash; even Mallow could join, but it's unlikely for him unless he gets a lot of fan demand like Geno.
The Mad Adder/Earth Link (The giant cobra you fight in Smithy's Factory).

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Honestly we'd be lucky to get a wave 2. Focus on getting wave 1. 2020 is still more than a year away
To be fair, I see wave 2 as a guarantee eventually. Smash 4 had 7 DLC fighters over the span of a year and a half and that was on a dying console and while they were already planning Ultimate. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is 6-7 years until the next smash comes after Ultimate so I expect them to support adding additional content to it well past the first year.

But I do agree that it’s way too early to even begin focusing on wave 2 speculation when none of the wave 1 characters have even been shown off yet.

Last edited:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Funny, I have a similar opinion of Boomer. Despite being a member of the Smithy Gang, as well as one o the last members you face, and even in a local that is iconic to the introduction of the game, he is majorly overlooked. I feel this is very much due to him being immediately followed by Exor, the battle that the game has been building up to since he impaled Bowser's Keep. And it's a crying shame, as I rather like his Samurai design and the way he went out compared to the rest of the Smithy Gang members.
I totally agree. Most of the other members (Exor, Mack, Bowyer) were made in the likeness of weapons, so Boomer’s samurai design really makes him stand out. And the end of his battle was a real twist...It suddenly gets really emotional (Sad Music playing and everything), and you actually find yourself somewhat lamenting his fall in battle.

Hmm...Ranking the members...That’s not easy.

Smithy > Exor > Yardovich > Boomer > Blade > Axem Rangers > Bowyer > Mack

Honorable mention goes to Gunyolk.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, I see wave 2 as a guarantee eventually. Smash 4 had 7 DLC fighters over the span of a year and a half and that was on a dying console and while they were already planning Ultimate. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is 6-7 years until the next smash comes after Ultimate so I expect them to support adding additional content to it well past the first year.

But I do agree that it’s way too early to even begin focusing on wave 2 speculation when none of the wave 1 characters have even been shown off yet.
Just give me Geno and Ninten in wave 1 and no more speculation for me :) I will keep posting on this thread long after Geno comes, it is a sanctuary

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Hey, here's a fun subject for a tally. I was picking through my storage looking for my old Gamecube controller in prep for Smash on Friday, and lookie lookie what I came across:

20181202_193040 (2).jpg

It's the same cart that I played as a kid when SMRPG originally came out; I could only afford a used version at our small town game swap shop called Game X Change (you can still see the store's sticker on the side) that basically did what Gamestop does now and let you trade in games for extra store credit to purchase whatever they had on the shelves. I couldn't believe this gem was there at the time and ended up selling like 3 other of my games to get it, but it survived through careless siblings and relatives with hazardous living conditions to end up back in my hands and remain safe as my treasure, as well as my SNES.

So how many of you all still have your original Super Mario RPG cartridge? Do you have a fun story to go along with it?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

A counterpoint I'll propose on the Smash 4 DLC vs Ultimate is that 3 of those 7 were returning veterans, so in terms of overall additions to Smash as a franchise they'd be roughly comparable.

I think it makes a LOT of sense to have a Wave 2 (And beyond even) given how fighting games are these days, but we also unfortunately have the reality that Sakurai will want to stop working on Ultimate at some point. That, and Nintendo still hasn't given us anything substantial for the likes of Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe despite them being ripe for opportunities with regards to DLC. I know they've mentioned the concept of evergreen titles they intend on supporting for the future, but little things like a BOTW Link in Mario Kart and Mario outfits (While nice free additions) aren't going to cut it and I really need to see some further commitment from Nintendo on this issue before I'm willing to believe that they'll go all in on the future of Smash.

That said, Smash is one of the few games I really am behind continued support and regular content releases. Having Ultimate have additional modes, Echoes, and like 15 characters more in a few years would be amazing and I'd buy all of it (Though I hope they'd at least release some stuff for free...)

AugustusB

Smash Champion
....WHAT DID I MISS!??

Why are we fighting against the curious!? DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon (Sorry to tag ya) had a good right to come in here and see what the halabaloo was going on.

I will have to agree with what A.G.L. A.G.L. was saying earlier, but that is up to the leakers in question and where they want to put their info. I will agree that the first bit of info WAS Square related and thus some connection to Geno. Yet now we are getting some new stuff not at all related to our Star Boy.

Sorry if things got patched up, but I just caught up and kind of skimmed a bit. I needed to get my two cents in.

Also, Ya Geno, lets go!!!

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Hey, here's a fun subject for a tally. I was picking through my storage looking for my old Gamecube controller in prep for Smash on Friday, and lookie lookie what I came across:

View attachment 181180

It's the same cart that I played as a kid when SMRPG originally came out; I could only afford a used version at our small town game swap shop called Game X Change (you can still see the store's sticker on the side) that basically did what Gamestop does now and let you trade in games for extra store credit to purchase whatever they had on the shelves. I couldn't believe this gem was there at the time and ended up selling like 3 other of my games to get it, but it survived through careless siblings and relatives with hazardous living conditions to end up back in my hands and remain safe as my treasure, as well as my SNES.

So how many of you all still have your original Super Mario RPG cartridge? Do you have a fun story to go along with it?
i originally bought it on the wii (and then i played through it on my hacked 3ds) but im getting a snes with mario rpg and a few other games soon.

That, and Nintendo still hasn't given us anything substantial for the likes of Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe despite them being ripe for opportunities with regards to DLC.
mario tennis aces and kirby star allies have been getting character updates (free ones at that). and i love sakurai, but i dont think he's 100% needed if nintendo wants his team to continue adding fighters. imo he should just supervise development of dlc fighters and work on the stuff he wants to work on

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know what, how about we rank the Smithy Gang? Among Mack, Bowyer, Yaridovich, the Axem Rangers, Zoomer(Or Blade, I just kinda found that name funny), Boomer, Exor, and Smithy, who do you think is the best and who do you think is the worst(Or least good, I honestly don't dislike any of these characters)?
My ratings: Mack > Exor > Yaridovich > Smithy > Boomer > Zoomer (heh) > Bowyer > Axem Rangers

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Regarding this whole thread ordeal.. I will say I mostly stay in this thread because most of the people who I've proven my source to are in here. I don't want to give out his personal info to too many people, to clarify. Also, I initially started spreading the info I have because I wanted Geno in just as all of you do. Although, I've come to the mindset that it may not after obtaining the Enix list. I'm braced for whatever, and now I just post anything I learn. However, I'll admit, I don't appreciate the way some people twist my words on other sites like GameFAQS or 4chan. I never said that there would definitely be a season 2, and I sure did not say Lloyd is going to be DLC for sure, lol.

I'm a bit tense to use other threads. I like some of the people who are active on the General speculation thread, and I've proven myself to some veteran members like Indecisive Fisher. However, I will admit I actively avoid the Isaac thread. I've had multiple people there actively deny my NoA source's info thinking it was just 'bad info' because they believe Isaac definitely had to have been planned. I like the owner of the Isaac thread, actually, and I was a big Isaac supporter. I just feel a bit... unwelcome by some active users of that thread.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Also, I initially started spreading the info I have because I wanted Geno in just as all of you do. Although, I've come to the mindset that it may not after obtaining the Enix list.
what about the square list made you think it might not be geno? none of the characters seemed particularly likely to come out on top vs geno other than sora, at least to me

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
A counterpoint I'll propose on the Smash 4 DLC vs Ultimate is that 3 of those 7 were returning veterans, so in terms of overall additions to Smash as a franchise they'd be roughly comparable.

I think it makes a LOT of sense to have a Wave 2 (And beyond even) given how fighting games are these days, but we also unfortunately have the reality that Sakurai will want to stop working on Ultimate at some point. That, and Nintendo still hasn't given us anything substantial for the likes of Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe despite them being ripe for opportunities with regards to DLC. I know they've mentioned the concept of evergreen titles they intend on supporting for the future, but little things like a BOTW Link in Mario Kart and Mario outfits (While nice free additions) aren't going to cut it and I really need to see some further commitment from Nintendo on this issue before I'm willing to believe that they'll go all in on the future of Smash.

That said, Smash is one of the few games I really am behind continued support and regular content releases. Having Ultimate have additional modes, Echoes, and like 15 characters more in a few years would be amazing and I'd buy all of it (Though I hope they'd at least release some stuff for free...)
You know, there’s a counterargument to almost everything. It just seems to me like you’re worrying about something that simply isn’t going to happen.

The idea that they’re going to support this game more than they supported the previous Smash Bros is a given, especially considering the Switch is overwhelmingly more popular than the Wii U was. Stop worrying yourself over literally everything or this speculation won’t even be fun for you

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Just caught up with the last two pages after my last post… welp, now you know why I don't like dealing with people who are from the general thread mostly, they are all super self entitled and disruptive as you just saw… nothing personal, it's just how most of them are and why i stopped hanging around there… too much ego.

Regarding this whole thread ordeal.. I will say I mostly stay in this thread because most of the people who I've proven my source to are in here. I don't want to give out his personal info to too many people, to clarify. Also, I initially started spreading the info I have because I wanted Geno in just as all of you do. Although, I've come to the mindset that it may not after obtaining the Enix list. I'm braced for whatever, and now I just post anything I learn. However, I'll admit, I don't appreciate the way some people twist my words on other sites like GameFAQS or 4chan. I never said that there would definitely be a season 2, and I sure did not say Lloyd is going to be DLC for sure, lol.

I'm a bit tense to use other threads. I like some of the people who are active on the General speculation thread, and I've proven myself to some veteran members like Indecisive Fisher. However, I will admit I actively avoid the Isaac thread. I've had multiple people there actively deny my NoA source's info thinking it was just 'bad info' because they believe Isaac definitely had to have been planned. I like the owner of the Isaac thread, actually, and I was a big Isaac supporter. I just feel a bit... unwelcome by some active users of that thread.
Yeah some people on some threads tend to be a bit tone deaf due to bias or overly skepticism and what not. It's probably why Verge is so careful to not say names he is not 100% sure about, people already make literal fanfics about him at this point and twist his words and make up new ones all the freaking time. I wouldn't be surprised if many insiders or leakers decide to stop doing what they do simply because the smash community in big portions are being completely tone deaf and twisting words to their favor for no particular mature reason. Hopefully the rest of us who actually know to READ what you've been posting will keep things more under control and you don't have to go repeating yourself on things you were carefully wording. It's just tiring having to clear things up over and over again because people simply won't READ properly, so I totally get what you're starting to feel.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Missed out on a lot, I’m all caught up, wanted to reply to some stuff but the site forgot some of the quotes on multiquote. All but this

Smash bros. With a full party of 75 (Or 80 after dlc) characters. That would be incredible.
It could be like Suikoden. The best version of Suikoden.

Also, congrats on the milestone, beating past records is no small feat and shows growth.

Lloyd’s allegedly getting in? That’s really cool.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
what about the square list made you think it might not be geno? none of the characters seemed particularly likely to come out on top vs geno other than sora, at least to me
Don't get me wrong. I still am personally betting on Geno (this is NOT a leak, please don't misinterpret my words, anyone). However, given the sheer number of sources who have heard a couple other names, I'm accepting of the possibility they have. I'm kinda just bracing myself, if that's another way of putting it.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I've beaten all three games multiple times, however I missed EarthBound when it came out, I tried it on emulator back in the melee days but gave up after getting stuck in Moonside. I eventually revisted it after playing all three games back to back before Brawl came out. The MOTHER 3 menu patch had just come out in time for that... I also played it again when the fan translation was officially finished. I replayed all the games quite a bit. It's been a hot minute since i've replayed MOTHER 3 in full though.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Don't get me wrong. I still am personally betting on Geno (this is NOT a leak, please don't misinterpret my words, anyone). However, given the sheer number of sources who have heard a couple other names, I'm accepting of the possibility they have. I'm kinda just bracing myself, if that's another way of putting it.
ah. that makes a lot more sense. i dont think the amount of times someones heard a name means a whole lot when square supposedly funnel out leak bait quite a bit, but i do understand wanting to brace yourself for disappointment if he doesnt get in. thanks for clarifying!

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I know you all are trying to keep certain details that you've come across quiet and I totally get why, but are you willing to say whether Geno was one of the two names that supposedly were neck and neck in terms of being the SE character? Because as someone without info who is up to date on your posts it seemed like kind of an implication that Geno was one of those two names hence why you guys brought it up here. Am I off in thinking that?

owjies

Smash Journeyman
A bit late, but I always liked Jagger and Jinx from Monstro Town.

One of my favorite aspects of Mario RPG's story was Bowser being dethroned as Mario's nemesis and ultimately forced to join the heroes.

With no one to turn to, Bowser reluctantly joins Mario, Mallow, and Geno's party, insisting in his delusion that the heroes had joined his army. When the group meets Jagger in Monstro Town, Bowser experiences a small moment of clarity. Even after witnessing the rout of Bowser's troops by the Smithy Gang, Jagger expresses that he failed Bowser, using that to motivate him to get stronger. Bowser pauses for a moment and encourages Jagger to continue training, "... Don't worry about me." Bowser, still nursing a bruised ego, discovers humility if even for a brief moment.

For me, even though Boswer had been a member of the party for some time, it's here that he truly joins the heroes. I know Mario RPG's story is rather simple when compared to others in the same genre, but seeing the eternal final boss of every Mario game written in this way was such a cool experience for me as a kid. It's interesting that this moment of characterization for Bowser is optional. There's nothing telling you to open that door in Monstro Town. That's part of Mario RPG's charm.

D

Deleted member

I've beaten all three games multiple times, however I missed EarthBound when it came out, I tried it on emulator back in the melee days but gave up after getting stuck in Moonside. I eventually revisted it after playing all three games back to back before Brawl came out. The MOTHER 3 menu patch had just come out in time for that... I also played it again when the fan translation was officially finished. I replayed all the games quite a bit. It's been a hot minute since i've replayed MOTHER 3 in full though.
Mother 3 is the only game that no one can ever stop crying while playing it. It's SUCH an amazing game, and I hope it can be remade of translated for the Switch :) Can't stop stressing how this is my favorite game and will never be beaten if I ever decide to play Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 6, Banjo-Kazooie, Golden Sun, or any other amazing game or RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom