• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Hahaha, nah. It’s understandable I triggered some kind of Geno PTSD.

I main Bowser and Banjo-Kazooie. There’s a handful of others I use a lot but those two are definitely my go-tos for competition. I’m not a fan of the online for Ultimate so I haven’t really played for ages though.

My most wanted is honestly Geno since he feels like he would complete the GameFAQs wishlist trifecta that Ridley and K Rool started. Aside from that I’d love to see Doomguy and Crash.
I thought Gamefaqs Hated Geno. I Be on Gamefaqs alot and There are Geno fans there, good amount, but there's also alot of hate...

D

Deleted member

Just to make sure, this is something that’s good for Geno correct? I know I’m slow.
It's not just mainline Mario platformer characters and in fact are Mario characters that have entirely different franchise associations in Smash.

It's good for Geno and Waluigi. As ****ing usual we can't get this lanky tumor off of us.

I thought Gamefaqs Hated Geno. I Be on Gamefaqs alot and There are Geno fans there, good amount, but there's also alot of hate...
It's been a decade and a half. The world has changed a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Nope. But I haven’t heard anything this whole year, so it doesn’t mean it’s not true either. I think covid and work from home has made water cooler talk less prolific overall for sure. So it’s entirely possible someone with a different connection would luck out where I wouldn’t.

I wish I knew. From everything going on it feels like he has a decent shot, but I have no legitimate reason to confidently think one way or the other.
Yeah I can vouch for this situation lately, in the sense that … sources are barely hearing ANYTHING this year. My NoA guy, who Fatmanonice Fatmanonice knew well, hasn't heard ANYTHING this year aside from "female" when Arms was gonna reveal its character, and during April he heard GS is gonna make its return in the near future. Covid has definitely not made it easy for anyone to hear stuff, specifically accurate dates and timing for things to happen, because everything has been constantly moving and changing. Or not hearing anything else at all period.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just to make sure, this Dec 12th tournament is something that’s good for Geno correct? I know I’m slow.
I'd say yes because the tournament includes all the characters that originated in Mario games or have a long history with the Mario spin-offs. Diddy has consistently been in the Kart, Party, and Sports games since the GameCube so that's why he's there. This is a different tone from the Japanese and Korean tournaments that are only allowing the "canon"/platforming mainstays so this Challenge Cup covers basically the entire Mario franchise, which I think is a big deal. Why? Because it's making note of the Mario franchise's whole history and not just the platforming games. It's acknowledging that the Yoshi, DK, and Wario games wouldn't exist without Mario so it's very befitting for a Mario 35th anniversary tournament.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'd say yes because the tournament includes all the characters that originated in Mario games or have a long history with the Mario spin-offs. Diddy has consistently been in the Kart, Party, and Sports games since the GameCube so that's why he's there. This is a different tone from the Japanese and Korean tournaments that are only allowing the "canon"/platforming mainstays so this Challenge Cup covers basically the entire Mario franchise, which I think is a big deal. Why? Because it's making note of the Mario franchise's whole history and not just the platforming games. It's acknowledging that the Yoshi, DK, and Wario games wouldn't exist without Mario so it's very befitting for a Mario 35th anniversary tournament.
Plus, the closest thing we have to a consistent pattern is that we've had both of our reveals for Smash this year taking place after these Challenge Cups. The third week of December is definitely looking promising if this potential pattern holds

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Plus, the closest thing we have to a consistent pattern is that we've had both of our reveals for Smash this year taking place after these Challenge Cups. The third week of December is definitely looking promising if this potential pattern holds
Exciting stuff?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
New firmware update.
I think there is still more to this week.
Welp, so much for a big update this week. Then again, being able to save my screenshots and videos to a USB is a godsend for me, given how much I have saved on my system, so I ain't complaining.

It's over, guys. Poorly Rendered Sora is confirmed 😔

If only they had added more blur, then I may have believed it!

As a Roy Boy, I very much appreciate this image. Saved.

So how about that wooden star puppet from that one mario game that’s gonna be joining Smash? What’s his name again, Tino?:4pacman:
Yes.
47425ef9b6ceaed2abc2f2366564d75b.jpg

Shall we begin the countdown to the VGA? (Just remember to not hype too much. Best to negate or prevent salt. Heck Smash may not appear as Nintendo runs their own schedule.)
7 days left till the VGA arrival
View attachment 293996
>MFW most likely won't have internet until next week at the earliest
56d.jpg

Oh it isnt? Good, I can skip tlou2 cleaning the show up and see it take Goty as expected with no problem then
God, I really hope that doesn't happen. There are so many other games that deserve GOTY over that drab, depressing, poorly written and disrespectful dreck.

...Relevant question. Think Geno has feet under those shoes? Or are those his feet?
Most likely not. I mean, for what reason would you design a wooden doll with goddamn rocket fists and detachable shoes?

MattX20

Smash Hero
I honestly think a documentary of the demand for Geno since the beginning of Smash speculation would be truly fascinating. Like how did this niche RPG character roll with the big boys (Ridley, K Rool, Banjo)?

That’s a rhetorical question. I obviously know why.
I imagine such a documentary would get made after the character is added to the game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Exciting stuff?
Yeah. A couple of major things are coincidentally lining up that suggest Smash or even a presentation by the end of the month:

-Steve was announced four days after the last Challenge Cup.

-Every DLC character has had an official tournament close to their reveal/release, ranging from as a short as a day to only about 2.5 weeks' difference.

-Firmware updates historically have close proximity to presentations, ranging from as short as the day before/after to about 3 weeks before/after. Most fall in the half week - week and a half range.

-Spirits being added back in without new spirits. So far this has only happened twice:

Cuphead and Warframe spirits re-added in early June, Min Min announced roughly two weeks later.

Trials of Mana spirits re-added in early August. Small Battlefield update a few days later.

Last week we had the Paper Mario/Octopath Traveler spirits re-added without new spirits.

-Major online maintenance. Maintenance basically a copy and paste of what happened before the March Mini and Steve's reveal happened in late November. One reason it was notable was because it was the first time PayPal had been updated in a year and a half.

-Mario events that were very obviously supposed to happen in September are now happening in December. The first weekend in September is the only weekend so far that hasn't had a Smash event at all without a character release (Hero and Byleth didn't have events on their release week because they were released on Tuesday) suggesting "something" was supposed to happen but was rescheduled. Potentially gives the argument that either someone was supposed to release that week or the week before.

I'll cover other stuff later.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I honestly think a documentary of the demand for Geno since the beginning of Smash speculation would be truly fascinating. Like how did this niche RPG character roll with the big boys (Ridley, K Rool, Banjo)?

That’s a rhetorical question. I obviously know why.
I've considered making one once he gets in, though it'd be quite an undertaking, and I'm not sure if I'd want to make it so soon after the other Geno video I intend to make. Now if this were a community effort, I'd be more than willing to lend a hand.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Looking at the Fighters allowed for the Dec. 12th tournament, one would be tempted to argue "but what about King K. Rool?" Well, this is a Mario-themed tournament after all and, the big King K. himself originated from DKC, and also, who would invite Croco to the party?
:troll:

Really though, it does seem like all the coincidences, remarks, etc. revolving around Geno or alluding to him throughout the years are finally lining up as we head further into the month.
  • :starman::starman::starman:December 16th, 2015:starman::starman::starman:: Geno's Mii Costume was added to Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS
  • April 2016: In an issue of Nintendo Dream released on April 2016, Sakurai had commented that he wanted Geno to be a playable character. MS: "To tell the truth, it's because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn't become a reality." Source: https://nintendosoup.com/sakurai-wanted-geno-to-be-a-playable-character-in-super-smash-bros/
  • [Insert any relevant speculation, rumors, around late 2016 to early 2018 here]
  • May 13, 2018: Nintendo tweeted on their official Twitter account about Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars asking fans if they were either Team Mallow, or Team Geno. https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/995680065206784000?lang=en
  • December 7th, 2018: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate released for the Nintendo Switch and as players completed the modes and acquired all spirits, it was found that (a) Geno was a Legendary class Spirit, and (b) Geno's Mii Costume was missing (despite others that came during Smash 4's Mii Costume Waves being in the game already).
  • [Insert the notorious 7 Squares list leak, other rumors and speculation concerning Geno within Smash Bros. Ultimate's first DLC speculation cycle].
  • May 14th, 2019: Source Gaming uploads a video showing the top 50 DLC Fighters most voted for in their first Super Smash Bros. DLC poll. Geno ranked 5th.
  • July 30th, 2019: Sakurai showcases Hero, the second DLC fighter added to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in a 20-ish minute-long presentation. In said presentation, the Mii Costumes section only focused on costumes themed after the Dragon Quest franchise. Being a Square Enix IP, there was no sign of other Square Enix-themed costumes; no Geno Mii Costume.
  • [Insert any relevant speculation, rumors, and HARD hinting at Geno during late 2019 to early 2020, here]
  • May 22, 2020: TerminalMontage uploads a curious video in which a star ship is cruising through the galaxy; helmed by a Captain Rosalina, accompanied by Geno. At the end of the video, the words "Winter 2020" fade in. Albeit it's simply a short animation, one can't help to wonder if causality played its hand into placing this little gem within the lining-up of all things.
  • June 20th, 2020: Source Gaming uploads their second Super Smash Bros. DLC mega poll's top 50 fighters as voted by fans. Geno ranked 2nd.
  • September 3rd, 2020: Nintendo uploads their Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct, officially kicking off the franchise's anniversary. From this day onward Nintendo has continued celebrating the plumbers anniversary by hosting Anniversary-themed tournaments on games such as TETRIS 99, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Maker 2, and now coming up on December, the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate tournaments.
  • As of this day, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars has not been added to the NSO SNES Library of games. The North American Mario-themed Super Smash Bros. Ultimate tournament, as reported in by our resident Big Brother Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , will be held this upcoming December 12th. The tournament is classified as part of the Nintendo VS Challenge Cup series; of which throughout this year, Challenger Packs 6 and 7 have been revealed no later than a few days after them concluding. The theming of the tournament would weigh in favor of a character from within the Super Mario universe. There are many names that could be considered, but one who's brought a long line of coincidences and support for the longest time is none other than the star messenger himself; Geno. Nothing is guaranteed still, but the stars do seem to be finally aligning.
Oh and guys, I just recalled this little pic of the day from a while back.

Note the hands of the left clock to the approximate time it tells. It roughly tells either 12:14, or 12:15. At the time this image was posted, many speculated that the hands were actually hinting at possible dates and that within them there might be some announcement of sorts. Well, The Mario-themed tournament is on December 12th (12/12) so... December 14th (12/14) or 15th (12/15) could perhaps actually mean something...?

D

Deleted member

Looking at the Fighters allowed for the Dec. 12th tournament, one would be tempted to argue "but what about King K. Rool?" Well, this is a Mario-themed tournament after all and, the big King K. himself originated from DKC, and also, who would invite Croco to the party?
:troll:

Really though, it does seem like all the coincidences, remarks, etc. revolving around Geno or alluding to him throughout the years are finally lining up as we head further into the month.
  • :starman::starman::starman:December 16th, 2015:starman::starman::starman:: Geno's Mii Costume was added to Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS
  • April 2016: In an issue of Nintendo Dream released on April 2016, Sakurai had commented that he wanted Geno to be a playable character. MS: "To tell the truth, it's because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn't become a reality." Source: https://nintendosoup.com/sakurai-wanted-geno-to-be-a-playable-character-in-super-smash-bros/
  • [Insert any relevant speculation, rumors, around late 2016 to early 2018 here]
  • May 13, 2018: Nintendo tweeted on their official Twitter account about Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars asking fans if they were either Team Mallow, or Team Geno. https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/995680065206784000?lang=en
  • December 7th, 2018: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate released for the Nintendo Switch and as players completed the modes and acquired all spirits, it was found that (a) Geno was a Legendary class Spirit, and (b) Geno's Mii Costume was missing (despite others that came during Smash 4's Mii Costume Waves being in the game already).
  • [Insert the notorious 7 Squares list leak, other rumors and speculation concerning Geno within Smash Bros. Ultimate's first DLC speculation cycle].
  • May 14th, 2019: Source Gaming uploads a video showing the top 50 DLC Fighters most voted for in their first Super Smash Bros. DLC poll. Geno ranked 5th.
  • July 30th, 2019: Sakurai showcases Hero, the second DLC fighter added to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in a 20-ish minute-long presentation. In said presentation, the Mii Costumes section only focused on costumes themed after the Dragon Quest franchise. Being a Square Enix IP, there was no sign of other Square Enix-themed costumes; no Geno Mii Costume.
  • [Insert any relevant speculation, rumors, and HARD hinting at Geno during late 2019 to early 2020, here]
  • May 22, 2020: TerminalMontage uploads a curious video in which a star ship is cruising through the galaxy; helmed by a Captain Rosalina, accompanied by Geno. At the end of the video, the words "Winter 2020" fade in. Albeit it's simply a short animation, one can't help to wonder if causality played its hand into placing this little gem within the lining-up of all things.
  • June 20th, 2020: Source Gaming uploads their second Super Smash Bros. DLC mega poll's top 50 fighters as voted by fans. Geno ranked 2nd.
  • September 3rd, 2020: Nintendo uploads their Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct, officially kicking off the franchise's anniversary. From this day onward Nintendo has continued celebrating the plumbers anniversary by hosting Anniversary-themed tournaments on games such as TETRIS 99, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Maker 2, and now coming up on December, the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate tournaments.
  • As of this day, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars has not been added to the NSO SNES Library of games. The North American Mario-themed Super Smash Bros. Ultimate tournament, as reported in by our resident Big Brother Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , will be held this upcoming December 12th. The tournament is classified as part of the Nintendo VS Challenge Cup series; of which throughout this year, Challenger Packs 6 and 7 have been revealed no later than a few days after them concluding. The theming of the tournament would weigh in favor of a character from within the Super Mario universe. There are many names that could be considered, but one who's brought a long line of coincidences and support for the longest time is none other than the star messenger himself; Geno. Nothing is guaranteed still, but the stars do seem to be finally aligning.
Oh and guys, I just recalled this little pic of the day from a while back.

Note the hands of the left clock to the approximate time it tells. It roughly tells either 12:14, or 12:15. At the time this image was posted, many speculated that the hands were actually hinting at possible dates and that within them there might be some announcement of sorts. Well, The Mario-themed tournament is on December 12th (12/12) so... December 14th (12/14) or 15th (12/15) could perhaps actually mean something...?
≥the clocks again
1566273187558.gif

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Yesterday I covered Smash's long history with the month of December and I want to further emphasize this by reviewing the history of characters getting full cinematic trailers:

January- Reveal and release: Byleth (late)

February- Reveal: Little Mac

Release: Corrin, Bayo, Plant

March- Reveal: Inkling

April- Reveal: Solo Zard, Greninja, Lucas

Release: Mewtwo, Joker

May- none

June- Reveal: Villager, Megaman, Wii Fit, Miis, Palutena, Pac-Man, Roy, Ryu, Daisy, Ridley, Hero, Banjo, Min Min

Release: Lucas, Roy, Ryu, Hero (original), Min Min

July- Reveal: Robin, Lucina

Release: Hero (late)

August- Reveal: Shulk, Simon, Richter, Dark Samus, Chrom, K. Rool

September- Reveal: Isabelle, Terry

Release: Banjo

October- Reveal: Mewtwo, Bowser Jr, Steve

Release: Steve

November- Reveal: Duck Hunt, Cloud, Ken, Incineroar, Plant, Byleth (original)

Release: Terry

December- Reveal: Rosalina, Corrin, Bayo, Joker

Release: Cloud, Byleth (original)

If I were to organize the calendar year by "points" the ranking would be:

June -18

November - 7

August and December- 6

April- 5

February and October- 4

July and September- 3

January and March - 1

May - 0

If you were to do "points" by quarters it would be:

Q2- 23

Q4- 18

Q3- 12

Q1- 7

So, to summarize all of this, June, August, November, and December are the most rational months to expect reveals or releases in overall and that most of these are either in the back half of the first or second half of the year, more so the later months of Q2 and Q4.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Warning Issued
Knew the Geno Thread would react well to the Geno is a Mii Costume Post. Even though Geno is probably a Mii Costume lol.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Man, I want Geno but what excites me the most if he gets in is the music he could bring with him. Nintendo would absolutely use the loophole they’re in to their advantage and bring in some of the mario and Luigi RPG music as well as some of the paper Mario music.

Imagine geno comes with 20 themes. 3/4 being from mario RPG because square would be stingy and then imagine getting dream teams final boss theme, paper jam’s phase 1 and 2 final boss themes, Bowsers he’s final boss theme from the remake of BIS, origami king music and others. It would be amazing.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's been awhile but it's tinfoil hat time!

Screenshot_20201204-134836.png

So, this morning, Nintendo of America casually uploaded a video that was the November Rewind. Not very interesting and most of Star Road cracked jokes about how lackluster November was for the most part. The one thing that caught everybody's attention, however, is that the announcer closes out the video by saying "see you later this month." Checking NoA's Twitter a few hours later, I noticed that the original Tweet has been deleted and scrubbed from YouTube. Fun stuff. Like I said, the video was painfully mundane except that last bit and, if Byleth and the July Partner taught us anything, Nintendo doesn't delete videos just because of being dislike bombed. I will say, if Nintendo accidentally spoiled a December presentation because of a throw-away recap video, that will be hilarious.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 294141

So, this morning, Nintendo of America casually uploaded a video that was the November Rewind. Not very interesting and most of Star Road cracked jokes about how lackluster November was for the most part. The one thing that caught everybody's attention, however, is that the announcer closes out the video by saying "see you later this month." Checking NoA's Twitter a few hours later, I noticed that the original Tweet has been deleted and scrubbed from YouTube. Fun stuff. Like I said, the video was painfully mundane except that last bit and, if Byleth and the July Partner taught us anything, Nintendo doesn't delete videos just because of being dislike bombed. I will say, if Nintendo accidentally spoiled a December presentation because of a throw-away recap video, that will be hilarious.
okay guys time to bite onto this and get nothing XD in all seriousness i hope thats something

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

View attachment 294141

Huh... you're right. The November Monthly Rewind video is gone. 🤔

MattX20

Smash Hero

View attachment 294141

I hope someone saved that video/tweet. It would be useful at least for evidence purposes

D

Deleted member

It's still up.
I recall this happening before in the past in which a tweet was deleted but the video stayed up on Youtube. I think the last time was some Smash Bros tournament tweet, or something similar, which I believe they just ended up with incorrect wording and reposted... But it's been a long while. The "see you later this month" could easily just be that they intend to do one for December in... December.

But wait, that's odd, since they haven't released anything.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Look at the views, it's a reupload. I didn't notice anything different do I wonder why they took it down?
I noticed on Twitter someone pointing out they misspelled Nintendo as “Nitnendo” or something at some point in the video, so maybe that’s why.

edit: the typo was “Nintnedo.”

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay then, with the November recap apparently back up, it does basically say that they do have plans for December and they're not going to end it with November. I think we can all agree that Clam Chowder is the last Nintendo release for the year, and the Doom Eternal port coming out in a few days is the last major 3rd party title to join the Switch this year. DLC however is still on the table

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Regardless, they left "see you later this month" in, so they're definitely not trying to hide any future plans, if they exist.
Which is pretty cavalier given everything. Like I was saying as far back as October, post TGA reveals really haven't been a thing in years for Nintendo except for the Smash 4 Final presentation in 2015 and a Direct in 2013 (but that was also back when Directs were literally every month). The fact that they outright waited until the end of the week to post it is kind of suspicious too based on what I said above. You have the VGAs and then a free week before most of the industry hibernates until mid January so it doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for "later in the month."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay then, with the November recap apparently back up, it does basically say that they do have plans for December and they're not going to end it with November. I think we can all agree that Clam Chowder is the last Nintendo release for the year, and the Doom Eternal port coming out in a few days is the last major 3rd party title to join the Switch this year. DLC however is still on the table
Seeing as how Animal Crossing managed to take up about as much of that video as it has taken up this year, DLC is very much on the table. Animal Crossing has another round for this month, does it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom