• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So, as the threads resident...pessimist? Realist? General Direct Denier for the past few months, I have to say "see you later this month" is uh, pretty on the nose. Especially in a month where the only two games they are releasing are Fitness Boxing 2 and Shadow Dragon, both of which are out today. That being said, all this does is point to SOMETHING this month.

Last December had an Indie Showcase, and that was two days before the Game Awards. They could even just be referring to what they are going to have at the Game Awards. I still don't understand the mentality that they can't reveal anything NEW there (I guess Bayonetta 1+2 Ports and 3 all getting announced at once there was a fever dream I had) but even if they stick to stuff they've already announced, there's whatever Bowser's Fury is, Pokemon Snap, and BOTW 2 (and don't say they wouldn't because they had zero issues doing it in 2014 when it was still in early development.) All I'm saying is don't jump straight to the "IT HAS TO BE A DIRECT" mentality.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, as the threads resident...pessimist? Realist? General Direct Denier for the past few months, I have to say "see you later this month" is uh, pretty on the nose. Especially in a month where the only two games they are releasing are Fitness Boxing 2 and Shadow Dragon, both of which are out today. That being said, all this does is point to SOMETHING this month.

Last December had an Indie Showcase, and that was two days before the Game Awards. They could even just be referring to what they are going to have at the Game Awards. I still don't understand the mentality that they can't reveal anything NEW there (I guess Bayonetta 1+2 Ports and 3 all getting announced at once there was a fever dream I had) but even if they stick to stuff they've already announced, there's whatever Bowser's Fury is, Pokemon Snap, and BOTW 2 (and don't say they wouldn't because they had zero issues doing it in 2014 when it was still in early development.) All I'm saying is don't jump straight to the "IT HAS TO BE A DIRECT" mentality.
I'm far from believing in a "direct", but this really does seem to be pointing to [something]. I doubt the VGAs because of how Nintendo is - I can't think of a time that Nintendo has ever advertised for someone else's presentation, especially since the VGA tends to stray a bit far away from the family acceptable nature of Nintendo's advertisements. This kind of wording (and PR man can probably give my assumption backing or death, here) really suggests more news from Nintendo directly.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm far from believing in a "direct", but this really does seem to be pointing to [something]. I doubt the VGAs because of how Nintendo is - I can't think of a time that Nintendo has ever advertised for someone else's presentation, especially since the VGA tends to stray a bit far away from the family acceptable nature of Nintendo's advertisements. This kind of wording (and PR man can probably give my assumption backing or death, here) really suggests more news from Nintendo directly.
That's fair but it still doesn't scream "direct" to me, nothing about this month does. Maybe a shadowdrop reveal? Look, the good news is it points to something SUBSTANTIAL happening, which is good enough for me.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
It's been awhile but it's tinfoil hat time!

View attachment 294141

So, this morning, Nintendo of America casually uploaded a video that was the November Rewind. Not very interesting and most of Star Road cracked jokes about how lackluster November was for the most part. The one thing that caught everybody's attention, however, is that the announcer closes out the video by saying "see you later this month." Checking NoA's Twitter a few hours later, I noticed that the original Tweet has been deleted and scrubbed from YouTube. Fun stuff. Like I said, the video was painfully mundane except that last bit and, if Byleth and the July Partner taught us anything, Nintendo doesn't delete videos just because of being dislike bombed. I will say, if Nintendo accidentally spoiled a December presentation because of a throw-away recap video, that will be hilarious.
Damn, and just when I was ready to move on to 2021 and accept that Nintendo was just about done for this year lol.
Well, at least this indicates something will be happening this month, just raises the question: what is happening/being announced, and when?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I laughed while making it so I don't even care if this ages poorly:

View attachment 294172
I'm getting flashbacks from July.

'Surely the dam will break and Nintendo will unleash news after news!'

Nintendo: 'And now, after that new Paper Mario showcase, we would like to reveal one of the first games for our holiday season! Here's. ........................Bakugan.

Well, see you all in 2 months!'

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm getting flashbacks from July.

'Surely the dam will break and Nintendo will unleash news after news!'

Nintendo: 'And now, after that new Paper Mario showcase, we would like to reveal one of the first games for our holiday season! Here's. ........................Bakugan.

Well, see you all in 2 months!'
At this point, Nintendo has been dragging its ass like a Saint Bernard with worms for so long that it's pretty much mid December or mid January for the long awaited news dump anyways so, even if Genocember is wrong, we're still probably only waiting an additional 2-3 weeks anyways until Genouary. I dunno. It doesn't even really matter that much anyway but I want it to be this month just to end the year on a high note because, putting it bluntly, next year's not looking too great on a global scale already.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I also highly doubt we're getting a Direct this month as I still think the Direct drought will continue until the pandemic is over, but I think the video might soft confirm the possibility of more announcements this month. The fact that Nintendo actually took the video down very shortly after is really the major take away for me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It kind of drives me nuts because here's an abridged timeline:

August - December 2019: I hear a lot of stuff that suggests E3 2020 is going to be bat**** bonkers.

January 2020: Corporate Nintendo tries to cover up that they're basically filling their pants because of Corona. Little things start happening that suggest things are going to get bad.

March 2020: Ope, not only is E3 cancelled but Nintendo admits there will be delays. "Don't worry guys, the delays won't be that bad."

July 2020: Basically comes out that Nintendo lied to everyone and that Corona was impacting them significantly worse then they were letting on.

September 2020: Nintendo announces things that are basically back in order and that they'll get back to their big announcements, uh, soon... Stuff I heard ages ago FINALLY starts getting announced but it's not the "Big Ones" that I want to finally get off my chest.

December 2020: I die from impatience the day before my birthday and I'm typing this from Hell.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
It kind of drives me nuts because here's an abridged timeline:

August - December 2019: I hear a lot of stuff that suggests E3 2020 is going to be bat**** bonkers.

January 2020: Corporate Nintendo tries to cover up that they're basically filling their pants because of Corona. Little things start happening that suggest things are going to get bad.

March 2020: Ope, not only is E3 cancelled but Nintendo admits there will be delays. "Don't worry guys, the delays won't be that bad."

July 2020: Basically comes out that Nintendo lied to everyone and that Corona was impacting them significantly worse then they were letting on.

September 2020: Nintendo announces things that are basically back in order and that they'll get back to their big announcements, uh, soon... Stuff I heard ages ago FINALLY starts getting announced but it's not the "Big Ones" that I want to finally get off my chest.

December 2020: I die from impatience the day before my birthday and I'm typing this from Hell.
Oh is Setanta down there with you?! Been wondering where they went...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Referencing G0nard's data for like the 5th time in a week, I wanted to point out something I noticed:

Yes, I've mentioned the close proximity of official Smash tournaments and reveals/releases but it's actually shockingly more specific than I originally thought. You see, these tournaments are set up in one of two ways: BEFORE reveals or AFTER releases. Looking over it, there's only one exception and that was after Hero/Banjo's reveal at E3 2019 and we know that Hero's release was delayed from June to July. Noticing this, it gives a very strong predictor of the VGAs... There won't be a Smash reveal because the Challenge Cup is AFTER the VGAs and, given all the DLC characters have at least a week gap between reveal and release, the Challenge Cup definitely doesn't commemorate a release either.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Referencing G0nard's data for like the 5th time in a week, I wanted to point out something I noticed:

Yes, I've mentioned the close proximity of official Smash tournaments and reveals/releases but it's actually shockingly more specific than I originally thought. You see, these tournaments are set up in one of two ways: BEFORE reveals or AFTER releases. Looking over it, there's only one exception and that was after Hero/Banjo's reveal at E3 2019 and we know that Hero's release was delayed from June to July. Noticing this, it gives a very strong predictor of the VGAs... There won't be a Smash reveal because the Challenge Cup is AFTER the VGAs and, given all the DLC characters have at least a week gap between reveal and release, the Challenge Cup definitely doesn't commemorate a release either.
Yeah this has been my fear precisely… but hey I'm still gonna hope for some good news at VGA of any kind if possible!
If it's in january then it won't be really that much different as how Byleth was timed. First half of the month is probably gonna have barely any activity due to still being during holidays and such, while the second half of the month will be our time for smash news most likely.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

While that may be true, remember that both MinMin and Steve were revealed AFTER their respective Smash Bros Challenge Cups

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

But I thought the chances were good for a reveal after a Challenge Cup?

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
A moment of reflection.

After Steve's reveal, it was confirmed a few days later that negotiations for adding him along with Minecraft content to Super Smash Bros. was approximately five years in the making. Five years.

Most long-running video game franchises usually celebrate their anniversaries in multiples of five; i.e. 5 year, 10 years, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, etc. Five years.

Cloud was added to Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS on December 15th, 2015. By December 15th of this year, it will have been five years since a Square Enix character joined the roster. Five years. In addition to Cloud's inclusion, Geno's Mii Costume was also added on that day.

2021 would mark the 25th Anniversary of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Now, how adequate it would be if in order to bring back this title to the awareness of a newer audience (whether it be with the game's inclusion to the NSO SNES Library, or a remake to release in 2021), Geno were revealed the day following the Super Mario-themed Smash tournament, and ended up being available on December 25th; Christmas Day?

Not too long ago, I believe it was in one of Sakurai's Famitus columns, he stated to being excited to reveal the next Smash fighter (this well after Steve was revealed).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But I thought the chances were good for a reveal after a Challenge Cup?
They are, that's what I'm saying. The tournaments are done before reveals and after releases so, for example, there hasn't been a tournament between a reveal and a release. Steve is the most easy to demonstrate:

NA Challenge Cup: September 26th

Steve's reveal: October 1st

Steve's release: October 13th

European Challenge Cup: October 23rd

4th Online Challenge (Japan): October 24th

AU/NZ Challenge Cup: October 25th

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
They are, that's what I'm saying. The tournaments are done before reveals and after releases so, for example, there hasn't been a tournament between a reveal and a release. Steve is the most easy to demonstrate:

NA Challenge Cup: September 26th

Steve's reveal: October 1st

Steve's release: October 13th

European Challenge Cup: October 23rd

4th Online Challenge (Japan): October 24th

AU/NZ Challenge Cup: October 25th
Srry Fatman, thank you for clearing that up for me!

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Seeing as how Animal Crossing managed to take up about as much of that video as it has taken up this year, DLC is very much on the table. Animal Crossing has another round for this month, does it not?
Good news there: the next update for Animal Crossing is only in 2021 (they already announced that).

Also, just to put a little more on the fire: The message says "see you later this month". However, this new series has been mostly a show that happens the month after. Why would they have a show this month if there's nothing substancial? Weird stuff...

Last edited:

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336

Yeah I was gonna bring that up, less hyped for the VGAs now though I'm still gonna watch it . I'd also like to point out regarding the Open tournaments, If I remember correctly the Open Tournament that revealed Banjo and Hero was part of a bigger world tournament (Remember that Video when Sakurai said good luck to the players and the Smash Ball changed, That's the one I'm referring to) They didn't get revealed until AFTER that ended so I know that Nintendo is NOT gonna reveal anything until AFTER the tournament. The deadline for any Nintendo news (In my eyes) Is Dec 18th if we get nothing then GG 2020

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So I just got the news, both the next auspicious tournament date and nintendo hero-ing themselves have shifted my point of view of december news from not happening to entirely possible. That said I'm not about to call my bets on geno just yet, I think any slot here on out could be his but having a mario characters only tournament that would end up excluding him really feels like more of strike against him ngl.

Who it could end up being is anyone's guess but I'll say that if lloyd is destined for FP2 then I 100% expect him to show up here. After an entire year of empty corporate hype for tales 25th we've reached the end of the road with the true date only 11 days away. it's entirely possible that it'll go by with just the livestream and arise news but from my point of view there is no way that nintendo and namco would have planned for lloyd to go anywhere else knowing the timeframe they were working with, you could cry covid but after the colossal assbusting team sakurai did to make the minecon arrangement go as planned I just don't buy that argument anymore. So either he shows up in the next two weeks or he's out of the race as far as I'm concerned.

Besides geno and lloyd I don't feel anything else right now. I still think sora is toast, master chief wasn't worth seriously considering even before fp7's reveal, crash is in his weird leak fueled superposition of real and fake until nintendo lets us open the box, ryu could end up juking me like minecraft but for now I think he's just a costume like travis ended up, adol is starting to give me mad "terry pick" vibes and it's scaring me, and I hope waluigi ends up being fp11 so my morton stock goes up.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
At this point, the real tense period will be the third week of December after the last Challenge Cup concludes. I'm not expecting any Smash reveals or announcements, but there is the small possibility of it being announced akin to MinMin's reveal where it's announced on Friday of next week, but takes place on Monday the 14th

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Its kinda weird because as the Smash fan I am, naturally I'd be excited about getting a reveal at anytime. But in all honesty, I'm actually hoping we don't get a TGA reveal. I'm pretty sure we have all established by now that Geno most likely isn't TGA material and a reveal like Geno would make far more sense for any other time BUT the TGA's. If we are in for a TGA reveal, I know damn well Geno wouldn't be it. Unless its someone like Crash, another most wanted of mine, then I would rather hope we don't see Smash at TGA's.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Its kinda weird because as the Smash fan I am, naturally I'd be excited about getting a reveal at anytime. But in all honesty, I'm actually hoping we don't get a TGA reveal. I'm pretty sure we have all established by now that Geno most likely isn't TGA material and a reveal like Geno would make far more sense for any other time BUT the TGA's. If we are in for a TGA reveal, I know damn well Geno wouldn't be it. Unless its someone like Crash, another most wanted of mine, then I would rather hope we don't see Smash at TGA's.
I doubt they would've mentioned asking Nintendo if they would be interested in doing another Smash reveal if that was meant to be kept secret

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Well, my zero desire to watch the VGAs somehow went lower. Smash would be the only reason I would watch it.

But of course, Palutena was an E3 reveal. Cloud was a random Direct.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Until next year, I'm not counting on full blown directs. A Direct Mini at most is if there is one in December, but my current thoughts are leaning more towards Smash DLC news after the Mario 35th tournament concludes next weekend.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
People are asking themselves "What character would be great for TGA!?!" when the character was never meant to be at TGA, it was meant to be the E3 closer, and with Steve clearly being the Hero of the Pass, that likely would of started E3, the Banjo most likely would of been within that same direct, so a character that appeals to the hardcore Smash fanbase.
There are some fake leaks going around like Doomguy or Sora, and while they would be great E3 openers and TGA reveals... they wouldn't really be good E3 closers due to Steve being the E3 opener.
So if you see a NES icon being "rumored", or Sora, or Doomguy, even by decently popular people, do not believe such rumors.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
People are asking themselves "What character would be great for TGA!?!" when the character was never meant to be at TGA, it was meant to be the E3 closer, and with Steve clearly being the Hero of the Pass, that likely would of started E3, the Banjo most likely would of been within that same direct, so a character that appeals to the hardcore Smash fanbase.
There are some fake leaks going around like Doomguy or Sora, and while they would be great E3 openers and TGA reveals... they wouldn't really be good E3 closers due to Steve being the E3 opener.
So if you see a NES icon being "rumored", or Sora, or Doomguy, even by decently popular people, do not believe such rumors.
This is actually a decent point and I usually don't like being the guy that thinks what character would fit for what event. I just have a huge feeling about Geno not being revealed here, and I do think if Nintendo deemed a character as "not TGA material" then I think they just wouldn't bother revealing that character there at all.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Geno and Isaac are the characters I know that would best fit the Banjo of the pass description.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom