• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Do we have good chances of news this coming week about Smash reveal?
That is what I am wondering, with that "New" Banner or whatever it was called removed from where Steve could be seen in the characters page in the Smash Bros. Ultimate site.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Do we have good chances of news this coming week about Smash reveal?
It's an interesting situation too because, except Roy and Ryu in Smash 4, we've never had a same day reveal and release. Like I said in another post, the gap average for DLC was roughly two months up until this year. From announcement to release, Byleth and Steve were 12 days and Min Min was 7. If we do get something this week that's Smash, that character is a December release. Period. Coincidentally, this actually has some precedent because this is what happened with Cloud and what was supposed to happen with Byleth. Furthermore, this also lines up because there hasn't been a major General Direct in December since 2013 BUT Smash got one in 2015 and, again, Byleth's presentation was supposed to be in 2019. So, for example, if Nintendo goes full mad lad and actually does a Thanksgiving presentation, there's a very real possibility that 8 would get their "Sakurai Presents" on December 3rd.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's an interesting situation too because, except Roy and Ryu in Smash 4, we've never had a same day reveal and release. Like I said in another post, the gap average for DLC was roughly two months up until this year. From announcement to release, Byleth and Steve were 12 days and Min Min was 7. If we do get something this week that's Smash, that character is a December release. Period. Coincidentally, this actually has some precedent because this is what happened with Cloud and what was supposed to happen with Byleth. Furthermore, this also lines up because there hasn't been a major General Direct in December since 2013 BUT Smash got one in 2015 and, again, Byleth's presentation was supposed to be in 2019. So, for example, if Nintendo goes full mad lad and actually does a Thanksgiving presentation, there's a very real possibility that 8 would get their "Sakurai Presents" on December 3rd.
What are the odds of a Thanksgiving presentation anyway? I don’t recall one happening before.

QQS

Smash Lord
Would be amazing 😍🌟🌟

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What are the odds of a Thanksgiving presentation anyway? I don’t recall one happening before.
It hasn't and that's why it's an interesting situation. Both 2012 and 2013 had very late November presentations (both the 27th, coincidentally) so it's not impossible. The one in 2013 was the day before Thanksgiving so Tuesday and Wednesday are... On the table (slaps knee and guffaws) before Thanksgiving.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It hasn't and that's why it's an interesting situation. Both 2012 and 2013 had very late November presentations (both the 27th, coincidentally) so it's not impossible. The one in 2013 was the day before Thanksgiving so Tuesday and Wednesday are... On the table (slaps knee and guffaws) before Thanksgiving.
Okay then.

By the way, to everyone here, I just noticed another reason why Geno should be a fighter, but let me tell you why in the form of a question...

How many Mario RPG characters, from Legend of the Seven Stars to Paper Mario: Origami King have we gotten as playables in the Smash Bros. series?

Exactly! Being spinoffs, there is yet still potential for a Mario RPG character from Seven Stars to Mario and Luigi and to Paper Mario. We have not had such a character playable in Smash Bros. yet, and given that Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was the first even Mario RPG to be made, it would only make sense that Geno would be the first pick of any Mario RPG character to get into Smash.

That said, I kinda underestimated the Nintendo choosing the DLC characters thing. I mean, Nintendo did have Banjo-Kazooie in the first pass. I mean sure, Microsoft wanted the duo in, and they say Square Enix may not care much about Geno, but remember that Sakurai did want Geno since Brawl, and he even considered the possessed puppet in Smash 4 as DLC, ultimately going with a Mii Costume. Since Sakurai considered and wanted Geno before in those two games, it could be reasonable to think that Square Enix could have Nintendo pick Geno for a playable DLC character in this Fighters' Pass. You all should probably know what I mean.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
By the way, to everyone here, I just noticed another reason why Geno should be a fighter, but let me tell you why in the form of a question...

How many Mario RPG characters, from Legend of the Seven Stars to Paper Mario: Origami King have we gotten as playables in the Smash Bros. series?

Exactly! Being spinoffs, there is yet still potential for a Mario RPG character from Seven Stars to Mario and Luigi and to Paper Mario. We have not had such a character playable in Smash Bros. yet, and given that Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was the first even Mario RPG to be made, it would only make sense that Geno would be the first pick of any Mario RPG character to get into Smash.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but many of us are already aware of this reason :4pacman:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
For better or worse, this week and next week are make or break. We know that the Doom Eternal news is soon and it’s specifically the Switch version. The question is if said news is distributed in a bulk of Nintendo News (with a potential Smash announcement), or if it’s as simple as a tweet from Nintendo of America.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So, if a presentation does come this or next week, whether or not we get Geno, what would you also like to see in that presentation, provided it is not just about Smash?
As far as big name announcements go I think we're pretty much done for 2020. I'd probably expect more information on Bowser's Fury and maybe a few new games for first half of 2021.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Anyway, I know I already mentioned it before, and most of you do know this already, but there were a few things I forgot to say about Geno in my last post about reasons he could be in. You all may know this, and it may be rather obvious, but Geno, among others in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, were the first character(s) that prominently featured in any Mario RPG game. Even before Paper Mario. That said, Geno would be a historically based Mario RPG character, coming where Mario RPGs first started. Sure, there is Paper Mario, and maybe characters like Fawful from the Mario and Luigi games. Still, while they may be more well known, none of them have the star power and same kind of importance Geno has ever had. While there could be someone else from Legend of the Seven Stars who could easily be playable over him, none are as deserving as Geno. He has that being a part of Nintendo's history, like how Banjo-Kazooie were. I personally don't care if anyone finds this obvious already, I just wanted to say something a little more in depth; if a little.

Who else could match what Geno has going for him, or match Geno in why he deserves to be playable and all? Or match other reasons as to why Geno should be in? I am saying if anyone from a Mario RPG should be playable in Smash Bros. first, it is Geno. I am just saying that even though he is not owned by Nintendo, Geno does have more importance than people give him credit for. He may be from an obscure game, but that game was the first of many Mario RPGs, and was a great game and also had a lot of importance. Sure, other Mario RPGs weren't made by Square Enix, but they were still involved with the Mario RPG that started it all, you know what I mean?

Just wanted to say a few things here.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
CannonStreak CannonStreak

1595207810893.jpg

Literally any of the dead franchise revivals that have either gotten out or I have kept secret as far back as August 2019. Dear god... The fact that the one I've practically been forced to keep secret for the longest time is soon going to reach 15 months gives me a special breed of anxiety that I wasn't aware I was capable of...

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

View attachment 292481

Literally any of the dead franchise revivals that have either gotten out or I have kept secret as far back as August 2019. Dear god... The fact that the one I've practically been forced to keep secret for the longest time is soon going to reach 15 months gives me a special breed of anxiety that I wasn't aware I was capable of...
I'm stealing that image lol

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 292481

ooooh this seems pretty interesting to hear! well whoever it is, im sure itas gonna be a huge relief for you when theyre finally revealed hahaha

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

View attachment 292481

Ummmmm....

What was that image for?

I was just stating an opinion, that's all.

MattX20

Smash Hero
These next five days will be a nail biter for speculation for sure.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Ah yes... it all seems to be coming together.

November 12, 2015; the day of the Nintendo Direct that tore the gates of impossibility asunder and brought Cloud upon the realm of Super Smash Bros. It was a glorious day indeed. Five years later (and a few days more), we find ourselves in what could be an imminent Nintendo Direct of some sorts (a full General, a Mini, or a themed-Direct such as Smash). Curiously enough, many iconic video game franchises that have prospered throughout many years have held celebrations within five year intervals (5th, 10th, 15th, and so on). We are amidst the 35th Anniversary of the Super Mario Bros. series, and coincidentally this marks the 5th anniversary (specifically this month from the 12th) since Cloud Strife joined the Smash roster; since a Square Enix character joined the "Hall of Fame" of Video Games. One would dare to think and hope that this coincidence were to bring about the inclusion of a character almost contemporary with the former SOLDIER himself.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars released a little less than a year prior to Final Fantasy VII. Will the path of reconciliation be nearing its conclusion? Tuesday, Wednesday, or perhaps an unorthodox Thursday could surprise us. :denzel:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
So, if a presentation does come this or next week, whether or not we get Geno, what would you also like to see in that presentation, provided it is not just about Smash?
Any 2021 first party games would be nice, at least ones we don’t know yet. They don’t have to have concrete dates either, they could just have open windows like “Spring 2021”
Ummmmm....

What was that image for?

I was just stating an opinion, that's all.
Pretty sure it wasn’t an attack on you, just that whatever rumored franchise that Fatman is hearing has him really excited, and the fact that it still hasn’t been revealed yet combined with possible COVID delays are driving him crazy
I'd like to see either N64 or GB/GBA announced for NSO.
I completely forgot about these! It would be really nice to play these games on Switch, it’s been long overdue for some time

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Pretty sure it wasn’t an attack on you, just that whatever rumored franchise that Fatman is hearing has him really excited, and the fact that it still hasn’t been revealed yet combined with possible COVID delays are driving him crazy
I didn't say it was an attack. What he posted was kinda weird. Maybe I did not understand it at first, but I was rather confused.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I get what you’re saying. Still, I find the Arlo memes funny
If you say so.

Anyway, I recall people asking what Geno's Up B would be, since it is kinda hard to think of a recovery move for him, is it? Well, here is a little Up B Recovery Move I made for Geno myself.

Up B: Sergeant Flutter: Geno rides Sergeant Flutter, who leads the paratroopers that help Mario in Land's End from Super Mario RPG. Sergeant Flutter can be controlled for a number of seconds, and the B can be tapped again to shoot mini Geno Beams at the opponent, which are fast, but not as powerful.

Also, here is a Down B move for Geno I made that I thought was a little interesting.

Down B: Geno uses his cape to shield himself from attacks, and damage enemies that are close by when he uses this move. He can use this move to attack in all directions that are not below.

What do you all think?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
ooooh this seems pretty interesting to hear! well whoever it is, im sure itas gonna be a huge relief for you when theyre finally revealed hahaha
It just kills me because:

-Kirby, Metroid, and DK are borderline confirmed.

-Diamond and Pearl are now BACK in the picture.

-Everyone has heard of Golden Sun, Wario, and Fire Emblem 6/7 at this point but the needle has barely budged.

-The SMRPG Remake rumor has now been public for several months.

-Pikmin 3 Deluxe and 3D World Deluxe were FINALLY confirmed after more than a year and a half of waiting.

Nevermind everything else that suggests most if not all these things were supposed to be 2020 releases if not for COVID...

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Like I said, November is off the table so it's pretty much December to VGA s. We are probably going to be waiting till January if we're being honest but December through to the 10th are pretty much it.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
If you say so.

Anyway, I recall people asking what Geno's Up B would be, since it is kinda hard to think of a recovery move for him, is it? Well, here is a little Up B Recovery Move I made for Geno myself.

Up B: Sergeant Flutter: Geno rides Sergeant Flutter, who leads the paratroopers that help Mario in Land's End from Super Mario RPG. Sergeant Flutter can be controlled for a number of seconds, and the B can be tapped again to shoot mini Geno Beams at the opponent, which are fast, but not as powerful.

Also, here is a Down B move for Geno I made that I thought was a little interesting.

Down B: Geno uses his cape to shield himself from attacks, and damage enemies that are close by when he uses this move. He can use this move to attack in all directions that are not below.

What do you all think?
That's a pretty interesting Up Special that I haven't seen in Geno's moveset before. I don't like the Down Special as much because it's not really taken from anything Geno does in SMRPG, and I feel like he has plenty of moves from that game to at least make up all of his special moves.

I actually had an idea for Geno's recovery move because it's usually the special that most people have trouble figuring out for him. I might have posted it here before, but I don't remember.

So a lot of Geno movesets I see online have Geno Boost as his Up Special and that it somehow propels him upwards while the Down Special is Geno Blast. I actually think those should be switched. Geno Boost would be the Down Special and work just like Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing. Geno Blast would then work differently in the ground and air. On the ground, the move could be charged and rainbow beams would fire in front of him, similar to Ike's Neutral Special. However, in the air, Geno Blast would cause Geno to shoot the rainbow beams below him, maybe one on each side and one underneath him, and it would act similar to Robin's Up Special.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That's a pretty interesting Up Special that I haven't seen in Geno's moveset before. I don't like the Down Special as much because it's not really taken from anything Geno does in SMRPG, and I feel like he has plenty of moves from that game to at least make up all of his special moves.

I actually had an idea for Geno's recovery move because it's usually the special that most people have trouble figuring out for him. I might have posted it here before, but I don't remember.

So a lot of Geno movesets I see online have Geno Boost as his Up Special and that it somehow propels him upwards while the Down Special is Geno Blast. I actually think those should be switched. Geno Boost would be the Down Special and work just like Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing. Geno Blast would then work differently in the ground and air. On the ground, the move could be charged and rainbow beams would fire in front of him, similar to Ike's Neutral Special. However, in the air, Geno Blast would cause Geno to shoot the rainbow beams below him, maybe one on each side and one underneath him, and it would act similar to Robin's Up Special.
Not a bad idea in terms of the Geno Boost and Geno Blast. If I may, though, here is one more idea for a recovery move I made up. It might have been done before, but it has a little twist to it.

Up B: Possession: Geno's Star Form jumps out of the doll, which is attackable and can give Geno damaage unless it goes off screen. The Star Form is able to be controlled by the player, but if it hits anyone, Geno will be in that character for several seconds until the player controlling that character can shake it off. During that time, Geno's Star Form, when in that character, slowly damages that character, while damaging them more if the character attacks, as in attacking themselves. It also slows the character down some. Once Geno's Star Form is out, he returns to his puppet body. Possessing becomes harder to do the more it is used.

What do you think?

QQS

Smash Lord
912B2538-9BEC-4C2F-8844-1886836FAD64.jpeg

Don’t forget that this may be our week. If not this, then December. If not, then 2021 for sure!

Dont lose faith cause Geno is brighter (literally) than ever!

We are all waiting for GENO’S AWAKENING!

Edit: Credit to artist please!

Last edited:

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
Not a bad idea in terms of the Geno Boost and Geno Blast. If I may, though, here is one more idea for a recovery move I made up. It might have been done before, but it has a little twist to it.

Up B: Possession: Geno's Star Form jumps out of the doll, which is attackable and can give Geno damaage unless it goes off screen. The Star Form is able to be controlled by the player, but if it hits anyone, Geno will be in that character for several seconds until the player controlling that character can shake it off. During that time, Geno's Star Form, when in that character, slowly damages that character, while damaging them more if the character attacks, as in attacking themselves. It also slows the character down some. Once Geno's Star Form is out, he returns to his puppet body. Possessing becomes harder to do the more it is used.

What do you think?
That definitely another interesting Up Special I haven't seen before. That would be a cool way for Geno to attack. I have two issues with it though. The first one is like before where it's not really taken from SMRPG. The second is that I feel like it could be used against Geno during recovery. Like if a Geno player was trying recover with this move, the opponent could just go off stage in front of him, purposely get possessed, and then Geno may not be able to get back to stage.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That definitely another interesting Up Special I haven't seen before. That would be a cool way for Geno to attack. I have two issues with it though. The first one is like before where it's not really taken from SMRPG. The second is that I feel like it could be used against Geno during recovery. Like if a Geno player was trying recover with this move, the opponent could just go off stage in front of him, purposely get possessed, and then Geno may not be able to get back to stage.
For the second thing, here is one detail I should have mentioned.

"Geno's Star Form can jump out of the possessed character at anytime to continue the recovery move."

So the player can avoid the problem you mentioned by doing that.

The first problem you mentioned, yeah. That might be tough to overcome. Glad you liked the idea, though!

Reactions: QQS

QQS

Smash Lord
Good ideas people, of course Sakurai will do a perfect job like he always does. Just for example, look how amazing the render and moveset of Mega Man or Banjo are, and many more of course. Geno must be Sakurai’s top pick and he will delight all of us. He will treat Geno with the love that this character deserves. Can’t wait for the day! It will be the day when Geno sees the light at the end of the tunnel, and that light is the Star possessing him again after 24-25 years.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Thanks, QQS QQS ! Anyway, here are some lyrics I made about Geno based on an old song.

It's astounding
Geno's nearing
Yearning takes its toll

But he will be here
It won't be for much longer
Before we lose control

I remember rooting for Geno
Believing he would get in
My own hope would hit me
As we would be calling

Let's root for Geno again
Let's root for Geno again