• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Why November 5th?
This is a scheduled tweet gone wrong, so one of the 3 parts of the date would have to be mistaken for it to go up at the wrong time:
  • The tweet hasn't returned yet, so we can dismiss it being wrong by one day or one week
  • Oct 2021 is still too far away and Nintendo wouldn't have a media post scheduled so far away. The date on the tweet also says Fall 2021, which it makes no sense to still have a timeframe on a post so close to the release.
  • Month is the most likely outcome, specially with how date pickers work these days. I also have other reasons too:
    • It's a weirdly empty week with no game releases or news when Nintendo has done at least one thing every single week since July (whether we like it or not).
    • The fiscal meeting is also happening on that exact date and Nintendo always delivers at least one piece of news near these events.
    • If the date is indeed "Fall 2021", what are they waiting for to divulge that info? Releasing the info by itself on Nov. 5 wouldn't change a thing than saying it with the Presents or the announcement, unless it's part of a bigger news event either at that date or earlier.
There's more things than that (first full week of November, when Nintendo has always had a presentation in November, for example), but I think these the most basic points.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Even if the "red eyes" thing wasn't a hint, which I find unlikely, their have still been plenty of instances where Sakurai has teased characters. In Smash 4, their was a cloud in Greninja's trailer that looked like a silouhette of PAC-MAN, and a few months later PAC-MAN gets confirmed. In Joker's showcase video last year when they showed off Stage Builder, they showed off two stages. One was of a dragon, which is obviously a reference to Dragon Quest, and another was of a green witch, which really resembled Gruntilda. And as PapaGenos showed in his video, the January 16 Sakurai Presentation had Sakurai holding up three fingers in the thumbnail, which later turned out to be a reference to Three Houses.

All I'm gonna say is that we shouldn't look in to EVERYTHING Sakurai says as a hint, and I actually really feel bad that the man can't talk about his favorite games without people always assuming its connected to Smash, but as I did point out, their ARE instances of times where Sakurai does hint at things, and this clock picture could be one.

And honestly, even if this clock picture isn't a hint for Crash, I just think its cool Sakurai is referencing Crash at all, even if it isn't related to Smash.
There's another hint people overlook. The 1 year anniversary image:
People forget about it because PapaGeno's thought it hinted to Arle, but the power of hindsight tells us the real story. :ultdaisy:'s peace sign can also be read as "2", meaning this was a hint towards Fighter's Pass 2, roughly a month before the Byleth presentation told us about it (another hint toward this is that every character here other than :ultdaisy: and :ultmario: are DLC). And, funnily enough, Arle isn't the only character who resembles Daisy. Don't we know of another female character with yellow and orange in her color scheme? Oh yeah, :ultminmin. The first character we got for the second pass. So, this tells us that Sakurai does indeed hint, even kinda often.

What does this mean in terms of the 🕑 🕗 image? Well it makes it more likely that Sakurai was hinting to Crash, but at current, we can't prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was a hint. It is wise to keep in mind that Sakurai likes to reference games in his Pics of the Day, regardless of whether they're in Smash. I'm leaning towards hint, since it's been a long time since he has hinted, and he'd be pretty likely to figure such an out-of-the-norm image from him would generate buzz. But I cannot say such with full confidence, so ironically enough, time will tell with this one.

I'd also like to note that every character in the 1 year anniversary image is taunting. We know someone who puts his fingers in a "3" position for his taunt:
wario_s_two_w_signs_by_transparentjiggly64_dd8b6hw-fullview.png

So, be on the lookout for a similar image to the first anniversary, but with Wario (and probably Fighter's Pass 2 characters instead of Fighter's Pass 1 and :ultpiranha:). If we see an image like that, probably late next year, I'd take it as a good sign for a Fighter's Pass 3.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Hey guys, long time no see over the past three days because I was banned for telling someone to shut up when they essentially said 'Did you see how Nintendo wasn't announcing things? They were askin' to get leaked' and I'm here to share a funny meme and bring some positivity for once because honestly I...

Wait...

WE'RE LOSING HOPE IN GENO AGAIN!?

Jesus CHRISTO, every time with this! Why is it that the most active thread on SmashBoards for the most talked about hardcore fan pick character who even the HATERS of him have just excepted fate and want him announced so they can move on to hating the next character that gets popular can all accept the puppet is in but his own goddamn fanbase flips on him faster and more often than the media flips on what narrative they are trying to push that week?

Why can we NOT be confident about him for more than a week before falling into the pits of despair? I SERIOUSLY want to know why, because in my Bergy brain, it doesn't make sense outside of actual depression: being in a state of mind in which you just flat out assume the worst case scenario no matter about what it is or why or how it makes no sense.

The reason this upsets me is because this is the ONLY place we can be confident about him without getting some sort of flack, and even then asshats jump in here on occasions to browbeat us into pushing their own delusions. I've been debating people on Twitter on and off for months with nothing but facts and informed suggestion and speculation, and let me tell you, THEY DO NOT CARE! It doesn't matter how many times I prove CacoMallow hasn't been disproven, how many times I point out when character negotiations were likely to have been made, nor how many times I point out the behaviors of Nintendo, Square or Sakurai himself they absolutely refuse to believe that anything could be in Geno's favor because THEY DON'T WANT HIM IN.

I keep it up though because not only do I get some sick pleasure out of not giving up when people expect you to (especially when they are in the wrong) but because there is no reason for me to be silent or lack confidence in his chances when everything rolls in his favor. I come here to see all my fellow lads who I very well don't agree with on many things but the one we do agree on is the blue puppet boi is is ****ing fabulous and we want him put into this game so bad that most of us have been on this train for over a decade, hell some of us even over two! And consistently and seemingly for no reason I keep coming in here and not seeing anything but hopelessness when Geno is in the lead and hauling his wooden ass to the finish line as we live and breathe today.

@Serenade01 and to any other Geno fan here who is feeling seriously down about his chances, I want you to know something, and this comes from deep down within me.

IT'S OKAY TO BE DOWN EVERY NOW AND AGAIN, BUT DON'T LET THAT DISTRACT YOU FROM THE FACT THAT OUR PUPPET BOI GETS CLOSER BY THE DAY!

There is no competition, and there never was. Paper Mario got cut out, Sephiroth lost to Cloud (canon btw), 2B isn't as popular as you think and has a high chance to follow in the footsteps of Travis (aw, that's 2Bad), Lara Croft is even less popular (can't Croft her way outta this one), Sora has lost his sanctuary (Let's see how 'Your friends are your power!' will unlock your way outta this one, ya big Nobody! Heartless of me to say, I know), Crono's name has been crossed off (his is a Chronic case of Square pulling the Trigger on his series), Neku is only recently gaining steam (so stop acting like the world will end with him!), and Bravely Default will be mining salt (though they are not at fault, even though they place nowhere close to Second).

Geno has our fan demand, he has Sakurai's desire, and Ultimate is the game that makes it so that your dreams don't stay just dreams. There is no reason to get the rights to SMRPG content for Smash as early as the base game for Geno and Mallow as Spirits, Geno as an icon, and for Plant's Guidance to mention SMRPG enemies and somehow NOT have his costume come back at the earliest convenience if there wasn't something bigger planned. So many playable costumes and ATs got upgraded, and there will be no more ATs. Square's biggest money makers are already in the game and everyone else is so far behind the little wooden legend it's actually pathetic, and precedent shows that Sakurai will work with Square again. No single Smash Tuber, Twitter User, Smash Streamer, ResetEra Elitist, 4chan Sewer-Swimmer, GameFAQs Rager or Nintendo Article Publisher can keep this lad out of their minds and off of their tongues.

YOU REMEMBER WHEN CLOUD WAS NEVER ON NINTENDO!?

YOU REMEMBER WHEN BAYONETTA WAS TOO SEXY!?

YOU REMEMBER WHEN RIDLEY WAS TOO BIG!?

YOU REMEMBER WHEN K. ROOL WAS TOO IRRELEVANT!?

YOU REMEMBER WHEN KONAMI WOULD NEVER PLAY BALL FOR SIMON!?

YOU REMEMBER WHEN JOKER WAS OWNED BY PLAYSTATION!?

YOU REMEMBER WHEN BANJO WAS TOO DEAD AND OWNED BY MICROSOFT!?

YOU REMEMBER WHEN STEVE WAS TOO GOOFY, WOULD BE TOO DIFFICULT TO INCORPORATE INTO SMASH, AND THAT MICROSOFT WOULDN'T GET ANOTHER REP OTHER THAN CHIEF!?

SAKURAI. MAKES. THE. IMPOSSIBLE. POSSIBLE.

AND WHAT IS MORE IMPOSSIBLE THAN A CHARACTER WHO HAS BEEN DEAD LONGER THAN K. ROOL, WHO'S FRANCHISE AND RELEVANCE ARE MORE DEAD THAN THAN BANJO'S, WHO'S BEEN ASKED FOR AS LONG AS RIDLEY, AND WHO BY ALL ACCOUNTS SHOULD BE FORGOTTEN BY EVERYONE AND YET SOMEHOW IS ONE OF THE MOST DISCUSSED CHARACTERS IN SPECULATION PURELY BECAUSE PEOPLE WANT HIM THAT BADLY?!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF THE SACRED BLUE WOOD CLAN, HE'S A COMIN' AND HE'S COMIN' FAST!

SO DON'T YOU DARE GIVE UP ON HIM NOW!

Because if you give up on him now, after all this time, when we are all that he has been riding on this entire time...if we give up now and by some terrible twist of fate he doesn't show up, he WILL never have a chance if we leave the hill we declared we would die on, and Ultimate is the name of the game and that is not the game you want to miss out on. It will never be better than this. No one wants to be the one who gave up on him just before his arrival, to be the one everyone knows threw in the towel moments before his grand return. Living the rest of your life knowing this one thing you spent so much on you just tossed away in a moment of mental weakness only to have it happen shortly after you had given up? That would take all the spirit out of me, so I refuse to fall, and so should you.

LET IT BE KNOWN THAT IN OUR HOUR OF WEAKNESS, WE DID NOT GIVE UP OR FALL DOWN, BUT THAT WE WERE STEADFAST AND UNBREAKABLE! LET IT BE KNOWN THAT IN OUR DARKEST DAYS, WHEN THE CLOWNS ON SOCIAL MEDIA BERATED US FOR OUR LOVE AND DEDICATION, WE DID NOT LOOSEN OUR GRIP ON OUR GOALS BUT INSTEAD SQUEEZED HARDER! LET IT BE KNOWN THAT GENO FANS, NO MATTER HOW MANY CHARACTERS WERE REVEALED BEFORE, NEVER LOST SIGHT NOR ABANDONED THEIR TRUTHS!

LET IT BE KNOWN THAT WE WEATHERED THE STORM, AND THAT IN THE END WE WERE VICTORIOUS, THAN IN THE END WE WON THE GAME!

AND THAT THE NAME OF THAT GAME WAS MOTHER*ING SUPER SMASH BROTHERS ULTIMATE FOR THE GODDAMN NINTENDO SWITCH, ****!

HOLD.
Y.
FOR.
POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1603148281309.png

Gotta admit I kinda chuckled at the text equivalent of screaming

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Forgive me sensei
You are forgiven. :geno:
Okay, I'll list some anime I've watched (in no particular order) and you tell me which ones you've seen.
  • Death Note
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (I'm also caught up on the manga, all 900+ chapters of it. Still have to watch the Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe adaptations.)
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Haven't seen the movies, but I've read the Highschool AU one-shot manga.)
  • Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
  • Kill la Kill
  • Little Witch Academia (Both movies and the Anime series.)
  • Inferno Cop
  • Ninja Slayer
  • Space Patrol Luluco
  • SSSS.GRIDMAN
  • One Punch Man
  • Mob Psycho 100
  • Dr. Stone
  • Attack on Titan (First two seasons of the anime only, dropped it after Season 2.)
  • My Hero Academia (Watched 50 episodes and just stopped.)
  • Astro Boy (2003 series)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog OVA
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion (Only watched the first 12 episodes. I'm planning on getting around to the rest soon enough.)
  • DARLING in the FRANXX
  • Goblin Slayer
  • The Big O
  • Rising of the Shield Hero
  • Interspecies Reviewers
  • Shimoneta
  • Ghost in the Shell (The '95 film and exactly one episode of Stand Alone Complex.)
  • FLCL (Haven't seen Alternative nor Progressive.)
  • Record of Lodoss War
  • Another
  • Land of the Lustrous (Also mostly caught up with the manga.)
  • Space Dandy
  • Shiki (Got about a third of the way through and just stopped.)
  • Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (Got about halfway through and just stopped.)
  • Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (I've heard the games are much better.)
  • Death Parade
  • Bananya (Watched about 10 or so episodes, though I intend to eventually watch the rest.)

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
You are forgiven. :geno:
Okay, I'll list some anime I've watched (in no particular order) and you tell me which ones you've seen.
  • Death Note
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (I'm also caught up on the manga, all 900+ chapters of it. Still have to watch the Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe adaptations.)
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Haven't seen the movies, but I've read the Highschool AU one-shot manga.)
  • Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
  • Kill la Kill
  • Little Witch Academia (Both movies and the Anime series.)
  • Inferno Cop
  • Ninja Slayer
  • Space Patrol Luluco
  • SSSS.GRIDMAN
  • One Punch Man
  • Mob Psycho 100
  • Dr. Stone
  • Attack on Titan (First two seasons of the anime only, dropped it after Season 2.)
  • My Hero Academia (Watched 50 episodes and just stopped.)
  • Astro Boy (2003 series)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog OVA
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion (Only watched the first 12 episodes. I'm planning on getting around to the rest soon enough.)
  • DARLING in the FRANXX
  • Goblin Slayer
  • The Big O
  • Rising of the Shield Hero
  • Interspecies Reviewers
  • Shimoneta
  • Ghost in the Shell (The '95 film and exactly one episode of Stand Alone Complex.)
  • FLCL (Haven't seen Alternative nor Progressive.)
  • Record of Lodoss War
  • Another
  • Land of the Lustrous (Also mostly caught up with the manga.)
  • Space Dandy
  • Shiki (Got about a third of the way through and just stopped.)
  • Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (Got about halfway through and just stopped.)
  • Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (I've heard the games are much better.)
  • Death Parade
  • Bananya (Watched about 10 or so episodes, though I intend to eventually watch the rest.)
I can't believe you forgot about Cory In The House. Its clearly the best anime out their.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I can't believe you forgot about Cory In The House. Its clearly the best anime out their.
Haven't watched it, though to be fair it's kind of like Star Wars in that it's so engrained into our social conciousness that you already know everything about it, even if you've never personally watched it yourself.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
This is probably my last message on here since after this I have no motivation to speculate, and no one reaching out to me to tell me what happened tells me I'm not welcome here. I won't be responding to this since no one is seeking a dialogue with me anyway.

I just wanted to say I'm very upset with the Star Road admins and higher-ups. I have not done anything to warrant a ban, let alone without warning or contacting me that it's about to happen so I could appeal or defend myself. But this isn't the first this happened, I got muted without a warning for a controversial opinion I was provoked for, but I still apologized despite my beliefs because it was more important to have peace than my ego.

All I have done is say 'keep politics out of video games with a link to Playstation's new BLM theme' and refused to respond to disagreeing comments on it because A) was told to quit it, and B) it's not a simple 'yes I support' or 'no I don't support' answer (it wasn't ABOUT that, it was just a simple KEEP IT OUT). The topic itself has a lot of variables and I'm not taking one strict side. What is wrong with that? It made someone upset cuz it was political? I'm honestly sorry, but people sometimes bring up political topics for a small burst then move on. Did I attack someone on any ground? No. Did someone take offense cuz I don't share the same view as them on the topic? Welcome to planet Earth. If we can't get along despite differing opinions, how the **** are we supposed to function as a society?

That is all from me. Goodbye, and fingers crossed for Geno.
God bless.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
This is probably my last message on here since after this I have no motivation to speculate, and no one reaching out to me to tell me what happened tells me I'm not welcome here. I won't be responding to this since no one is seeking a dialogue with me anyway.

I just wanted to say I'm very upset with the Star Road admins and higher-ups. I have not done anything to warrant a ban, let alone without warning or contacting me that it's about to happen so I could appeal or defend myself. But this isn't the first this happened, I got muted without a warning for a controversial opinion I was provoked for, but I still apologized despite my beliefs because it was more important to have peace than my ego.

All I have done is say 'keep politics out of video games with a link to Playstation's new BLM theme' and refused to respond to disagreeing comments on it because A) was told to quit it, and B) it's not a simple 'yes I support' or 'no I don't support' answer (it wasn't ABOUT that, it was just a simple KEEP IT OUT). The topic itself has a lot of variables and I'm not taking one strict side. What is wrong with that? It made someone upset cuz it was political? I'm honestly sorry, but people sometimes bring up political topics for a small burst then move on. Did I attack someone on any ground? No. Did someone take offense cuz I don't share the same view as them on the topic? Welcome to planet Earth. If we can't get along despite differing opinions, how the **** are we supposed to function as a society?

God bless.
I don't have anything against you nor do I wanna delve too deep in to politics myself, but all I will say about this is that I don't consider the Black Lives Matter movement to fall under "politics" in my eyes. I just feel like supporting this cause makes you a decent and respectable person.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Would it be reasonable to assume that Sakurai started work on Geno around summer 2019 when Hero was released?
Honestly, this is pretty likely to me. We already know Steve in Smash was five years in the making, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of trying to get Geno in Smash for this amount of time as well.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Honestly, this is pretty likely to me. We already know Steve in Smash was five years in the making, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of trying to get Geno in Smash for this amount of time as well.
And we can say that if Steve has been five years in the making, then they must have known that Fighter’s pass 2 was going to happen after Byleth. And is why Geno has been held off. Holy cow.

QQS

Smash Lord
totally right, following that logic I think (WiiU days);

Sakurai: Hey I want Geno and people love it,
Can we finally put it in as a Fighter given that Cloud is already in and Square already has content in Smash?

Square: Not that easy. We want money, and you are still missing our second flag franchise. So put Cloud now, and a “little gift” for people to enjoy Geno and make them believe it won’t be playable more than that ever. So why using Geno right now as a fighter while there are already other well demanded or more well known characters like Mega Man, Cloud, PacMan and Bayonetta? Save the puppet for last and surprise the world (in a Banjo style) with the cherry of the cake.

Sakurai: Okay, sounds fair, also after WiiU DLC ended; Ultimate started. Let’s get to work again

Square: Now put Cloud in Base Game, Dragon Quest in FP1 and Geno in FP2. So our 2 favorite and best franchises will be represented in the best fighting game ever, while we both will keep getting benefits remembering our bridges with Geno: both get money and you please the people with the revival of Geno while keeping everyone’s happy like with Ridley,
KKR, B-K, Cloud, Crash, Geno, and probably Lloyd. (And more fan demanded).

Sakurai: Let’s get this show on the road!

Geno: (awakens...) and...

C5AAE52E-D3C3-43EB-9E4B-68C1C20E4CDF.jpeg

(Credit to artist on the photo please)!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Here's a list of all the assist trophies that currently have costumes or hoods in Smash:

Akira
Arcade Bunny
Ashley
Barbara
Black Knight
Bomberman
Chain Chomp
Isaac
Knuckles
Lakitu and Spinies
Ray MK III
Saki
Skull Kid
Spring Man
Squid Sisters
Takamaru
Vince
Zero

Still MIA:

Rathalos

I bring this up because the Fighter's Pass seemed to be focused on bringing back "old" AT Mii costumes while Season 2 is currently only missing Rathalos and focused more on "new" AT costumes. Like I pointed out earlier today, 1 AT Mii costume per pack seems deliberate.

Major companies from the base game not yet represented with new Mii costumes yet that have playable characters or ATs:

-SEGA (not Atlus)
-Capcom
-Square Enix (not Armor Project)
-Koei Tecmo
-Namco

5 companies but allegedly 4 remaining packs and 3 companies with 5 pieces all together that don't have all their Smash 4 DLC back yet.

-If past precedent proceeds, Lloyd, the Monster Hunter stuff, and the Square stuff will all be in seperate packs.

-Square Enix stuff only comes with Square Enix stuff.

Here's our hypothetical starting point:

Pack 1: Geno, Chocobo (old Square)

Pack 2: Lloyd (old Namco)

Pack 3: Hunter and Rathalos (old Capcom)

Pack 4: ?

I've noticed that new stuff and old stuff from the same company have yet to be paired together. Under this format, new SEGA, new Capcom, new Namco, and Koei Tecmo don't have spots yet. Lloyd can't be with new Namco stuff if he's still a costume and the Monster Hunter stuff won't be with new Capcom stuff.

If old stuff and new stuff can't be paired together, it presents an interesting contradiction. Geno is the only missing Square costume so this actually suggests that the Mii costume is just totally gone. Why? Because if it wasn't, it would have simply been released with Hero like Tails and Knuckles were with Joker. The old SEGA costumes were paired with the new Atlus costumes, just as the old Square Enix costumes could have been paired with the new Armor Project costumes. The point of bringing it back has been passed because, when companies have their own pass, they focus on new Mii costumes. A Square Enix pack will focus on new Square Enix costumes.

I've also noticed that every big company involved with base game Ultimate gets at least two new Mii costumes. Capcom, SEGA, Namco, Koei Tecmo, and Square Enix don't have this yet but companies like Konami and Ubisoft do. Like I said earlier today, this also suggests that Lloyd is either returning with a non-Namco pack or has been upgraded to playable. If we consider Geno's situation, it points more to Lloyd being upgraded to playable because the 2 new Namco costume debt still exists whether Lloyd is a costume or not.

Honestly kind of just writing these down to get my full thoughts out. Mind's kind of a mess right now.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
This post was warned for trolling/troll-bait content. In addition, this doesn’t contribute anything to the discussion and is off-topic.
Hey guys, long time no see over the past three days because I was banned for telling someone to shut up when they essentially said 'Did you see how Nintendo wasn't announcing things? They were askin' to get leaked' and I'm here to share a funny meme and bring some positivity for once because honestly I...

Wait...

WE'RE LOSING HOPE IN GENO AGAIN!?

Jesus CHRISTO, every time with this! Why is it that the most active thread on SmashBoards for the most talked about hardcore fan pick character who even the HATERS of him have just excepted fate and want him announced so they can move on to hating the next character that gets popular can all accept the puppet is in but his own goddamn fanbase flips on him faster and more often than the media flips on what narrative they are trying to push that week?

Why can we NOT be confident about him for more than a week before falling into the pits of despair? I SERIOUSLY want to know why, because in my Bergy brain, it doesn't make sense outside of actual depression: being in a state of mind in which you just flat out assume the worst case scenario no matter about what it is or why or how it makes no sense.

The reason this upsets me is because this is the ONLY place we can be confident about him without getting some sort of flack, and even then asshats jump in here on occasions to browbeat us into pushing their own delusions. I've been debating people on Twitter on and off for months with nothing but facts and informed suggestion and speculation, and let me tell you, THEY DO NOT CARE! It doesn't matter how many times I prove CacoMallow hasn't been disproven, how many times I point out when character negotiations were likely to have been made, nor how many times I point out the behaviors of Nintendo, Square or Sakurai himself they absolutely refuse to believe that anything could be in Geno's favor because THEY DON'T WANT HIM IN.

I keep it up though because not only do I get some sick pleasure out of not giving up when people expect you to (especially when they are in the wrong) but because there is no reason for me to be silent or lack confidence in his chances when everything rolls in his favor. I come here to see all my fellow lads who I very well don't agree with on many things but the one we do agree on is the blue puppet boi is is ****ing fabulous and we want him put into this game so bad that most of us have been on this train for over a decade, hell some of us even over two! And consistently and seemingly for no reason I keep coming in here and not seeing anything but hopelessness when Geno is in the lead and hauling his wooden ass to the finish line as we live and breathe today.

@Serenade01 and to any other Geno fan here who is feeling seriously down about his chances, I want you to know something, and this comes from deep down within me.

IT'S OKAY TO BE DOWN EVERY NOW AND AGAIN, BUT DON'T LET THAT DISTRACT YOU FROM THE FACT THAT OUR PUPPET BOI GETS CLOSER BY THE DAY!

There is no competition, and there never was. Paper Mario got cut out, Sephiroth lost to Cloud (canon btw), 2B isn't as popular as you think and has a high chance to follow in the footsteps of Travis (aw, that's 2Bad), Lara Croft is even less popular (can't Croft her way outta this one), Sora has lost his sanctuary (Let's see how 'Your friends are your power!' will unlock your way outta this one, ya big Nobody! Heartless of me to say, I know), Crono's name has been crossed off (his is a Chronic case of Square pulling the Trigger on his series), Neku is only recently gaining steam (so stop acting like the world will end with him!), and Bravely Default will be mining salt (though they are not at fault, even though they place nowhere close to Second).

Geno has our fan demand, he has Sakurai's desire, and Ultimate is the game that makes it so that your dreams don't stay just dreams. There is no reason to get the rights to SMRPG content for Smash as early as the base game for Geno and Mallow as Spirits, Geno as an icon, and for Plant's Guidance to mention SMRPG enemies and somehow NOT have his costume come back at the earliest convenience if there wasn't something bigger planned. So many playable costumes and ATs got upgraded, and there will be no more ATs. Square's biggest money makers are already in the game and everyone else is so far behind the little wooden legend it's actually pathetic, and precedent shows that Sakurai will work with Square again. No single Smash Tuber, Twitter User, Smash Streamer, ResetEra Elitist, 4chan Sewer-Swimmer, GameFAQs Rager or Nintendo Article Publisher can keep this lad out of their minds and off of their tongues.

YOU REMEMBER WHEN CLOUD WAS NEVER ON NINTENDO!?

YOU REMEMBER WHEN BAYONETTA WAS TOO SEXY!?

YOU REMEMBER WHEN RIDLEY WAS TOO BIG!?

YOU REMEMBER WHEN K. ROOL WAS TOO IRRELEVANT!?

YOU REMEMBER WHEN KONAMI WOULD NEVER PLAY BALL FOR SIMON!?

YOU REMEMBER WHEN JOKER WAS OWNED BY PLAYSTATION!?

YOU REMEMBER WHEN BANJO WAS TOO DEAD AND OWNED BY MICROSOFT!?

YOU REMEMBER WHEN STEVE WAS TOO GOOFY, WOULD BE TOO DIFFICULT TO INCORPORATE INTO SMASH, AND THAT MICROSOFT WOULDN'T GET ANOTHER REP OTHER THAN CHIEF!?

SAKURAI. MAKES. THE. IMPOSSIBLE. POSSIBLE.

AND WHAT IS MORE IMPOSSIBLE THAN A CHARACTER WHO HAS BEEN DEAD LONGER THAN K. ROOL, WHO'S FRANCHISE AND RELEVANCE ARE MORE DEAD THAN THAN BANJO'S, WHO'S BEEN ASKED FOR AS LONG AS RIDLEY, AND WHO BY ALL ACCOUNTS SHOULD BE FORGOTTEN BY EVERYONE AND YET SOMEHOW IS ONE OF THE MOST DISCUSSED CHARACTERS IN SPECULATION PURELY BECAUSE PEOPLE WANT HIM THAT BADLY?!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF THE SACRED BLUE WOOD CLAN, HE'S A COMIN' AND HE'S COMIN' FAST!

SO DON'T YOU DARE GIVE UP ON HIM NOW!

Because if you give up on him now, after all this time, when we are all that he has been riding on this entire time...if we give up now and by some terrible twist of fate he doesn't show up, he WILL never have a chance if we leave the hill we declared we would die on, and Ultimate is the name of the game and that is not the game you want to miss out on. It will never be better than this. No one wants to be the one who gave up on him just before his arrival, to be the one everyone knows threw in the towel moments before his grand return. Living the rest of your life knowing this one thing you spent so much on you just tossed away in a moment of mental weakness only to have it happen shortly after you had given up? That would take all the spirit out of me, so I refuse to fall, and so should you.

LET IT BE KNOWN THAT IN OUR HOUR OF WEAKNESS, WE DID NOT GIVE UP OR FALL DOWN, BUT THAT WE WERE STEADFAST AND UNBREAKABLE! LET IT BE KNOWN THAT IN OUR DARKEST DAYS, WHEN THE CLOWNS ON SOCIAL MEDIA BERATED US FOR OUR LOVE AND DEDICATION, WE DID NOT LOOSEN OUR GRIP ON OUR GOALS BUT INSTEAD SQUEEZED HARDER! LET IT BE KNOWN THAT GENO FANS, NO MATTER HOW MANY CHARACTERS WERE REVEALED BEFORE, NEVER LOST SIGHT NOR ABANDONED THEIR TRUTHS!

LET IT BE KNOWN THAT WE WEATHERED THE STORM, AND THAT IN THE END WE WERE VICTORIOUS, THAN IN THE END WE WON THE GAME!

AND THAT THE NAME OF THAT GAME WAS MOTHER*ING SUPER SMASH BROTHERS ULTIMATE FOR THE GODDAMN NINTENDO SWITCH, ****!

HOLD.
Y.
FOR.
POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hype responsibly

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Interesting nobody brought Kirby Right Back at Ya, considering the whole Star Warrior thing in that one. I'll also be honest and say that I went through an anime phase when I was younger but now I don't even bother with anime unless there's a future Nintendo anime that isn't Fire Emblem or Xenoblade.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Interesting nobody brought Kirby Right Back at Ya, considering the whole Star Warrior thing in that one. I'll also be honest and say that I went through an anime phase when I was younger but now I don't even bother with anime unless there's a future Nintendo anime that isn't Fire Emblem or Xenoblade.
Dedede in that anime is literally one "I say, I say" away from being Foghorn Leghorn.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I mean, the big question of Nintendo News at this point is more "when" than anything else. I still think that we're basically clear for the rest of the year save for a few Partner Showcases and an Indie Presenatation with Nintendo proceeding to do a massive info dump in January about the Switch Pro and 2021 line-up, but that's more raw intuition on my end than anything else.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm glad everyone is enjoying my epic anime moment speech. May it cure your anti-Geno depression, fellow Geno fans!

If QQS QQS is like your really chill bestie who is always optimistic about things and gingerly cheers you up, consider me your Shia LaBeouf friend you slaps you in the face, shakes you violently very briefly and yells at you to snap out of it because you are better than this and here is a very loud and intensely spoken list of the reasons why you are better than this and why you need to pull yourself together.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Would it be reasonable to assume that Sakurai started work on Geno around summer 2019 when Hero was released?
Yes, for numerous reasons:
  • Hero was released right at the tail end of July, revealing that Geno's costume was absent despite it being the perfect time to include it. This is notable because SquareEnix is the only company to have their content for Smash released entirely on their own. In other words, SquareEnix costumes have only been released alongside SquareEnix characters, with no other costumes from other companies releasing alongside them. Combine this with Vol.2 of the Fighters Pass being a thing, as well as the very likely scenario of all of the third-party Smash 4 Mii Costumes returning by the end of this game's DLC cycle, and it's easy to conclude that we're likely to get another SquareEnix-owned character as DLC, if not Geno specifically.
  • We know that talks for Banjo began at E3 2018 thanks to an interview by gameindustry.biz with current Rare Studios head Craig Duncan, which would make the turnaround time for Banjo about 1 year and 3 months. While the timeline may have been extended due to the China Virus or, as Sakurai has professed, general development complications regarding Min Min and Steve's gimmicks, it's not hard to imagine that, should a character have been in development since E3 2019, they most likely would've been a good way done by or slightly after E3 2020.
  • Both the Mii Costume list and the music takedowns first popped up in July, shortly after E3. The list managed to correctly call all of Banjo's Mii Costumes sans... well, Sans, whereas the music takedowns were done by Nintendo on two songs they don't technically own, a situation which has happened twice prior regarding Banjo and Sans, for the two songs that would fit Geno best should be be included. While their legitimacy is still hotly debated by some, both of these rumors have aspects to them that give them some credibility, and them popping up in the same general timeframe is somewhat suspect.
  • There is currently a well-established pattern people have taken notice of, wherein DLC fighters are released around the time of each new amiibo wave. This pattern has been almost completely consistent with each DLC fighter, with the sole exception to this being Min Min. Back in April of this year, there was supposed to be an amiibo wave released, but it was delayed. With the delay of the amiibo wave in April, it can be inferred that Min Min was supposed to have been released that month. This would make sense given that her un-reveal back in March, which was weird even by Smash standards. It's possible that she was supposed to have been be fully revealed in March for an April release, however complications arose that necessitated delays. That would've made both Steve and CP8 E3 reveals, given how E3 2018 and E3 2019 both revealed two characters. And if every E3 since 2018 has brought with it a character who is highly requested by core Smash fans, then it stands to reason that CP8 was that highly requested fan favorite character.
  • According to Grant Kirkhope, Nintendo themselves were caught off guard by how big the reaction to Banjo in Smash was. And if the fans were that estatic over a character reveal like that, then it's safe to assume that that excitement translated into a ton of sales for both Vol.1 and Banjo's individual Challenger Pack. As such, it's not a stretch to imagine that, prior to E3 2020's cancelling, Nintendo may have wanted to make that lightning strike again next year by choosing another highly requested fan favorite character.

What in the absolute ♥♪!? is going on
Talkin' about anime, bruv.
What are some of your favorites?

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I've said this before but think of all the cameos Geno's stage could bring. It could be on the level of King of Fighters Stadium with the most cameos in a stage in the game.
If it's Bowser's Keep, which it ought to be for the best representation of Mario RPG, I could easily see the Axem Rangers aboard the Blade flying in the background. Add the Royal Bus with Mallow and his family on it, Dodo flying with Valentina in his talons, Frogfucious dangling from a fishing line held by a Lakitu, Booster flying around in the back with the Koopa Clown Car (reminiscent of the ending parade gag), and toss in a few other noteworthy cameos (Culex perhaps?) and I'd say you have a worthy selection.

Edit: Upon retrospect, this honestly sounds like a combination of the Smash 64 background cameos (Dedede and Ridley, anyone?) combined with the massive background elements seen in the Mario Galaxy stage. How fitting would that be?

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman

God bless.
Sorry I don't want to develop a flame war but I really hate this sentiment,

Especially the hypocrisy of it. The idea that politics shouldn't be in video games is itself a political opinion, and it's even worse if you consider video games art, as I do. Could you imagine if Bioshock didn't have a political message? It'd be an infinitely worse game.

You can disagree with a game's politics but to say they shouldn't have politics is rubbish that is used to stifle creativity. People need to realize that media isn't becoming more political, it's just that you're becoming more political and now you're able to see things that you weren't able to as a kid. Not every game is made for you, so instead of using this Weasley rhetoric about wanting politics out of video games, just don't buy games with such "Forced Politics" or just be honest about why you dislike their political message or how they're delivering it. Also, I don't buy this idea that you're not taking a strict side since it's obvious you cared enough to complain about it on an internet forum.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, Mii Costume debt:

Square, SEGA, Koei Tecmo, Capcom, and Namco.

Square pack: New Square costumes

Namco pack: New Namco costumes

Pack #3: Hunter and Rathalos

Pack #4: ?

If old stuff comes with new stuff then that heavily suggests that Pack #3 is a company that doesn't have a pack yet. By process of elimination Pack 3 belongs to SEGA or Koei Tecmo. I would say Koei Tecmo is a much safer bet because all of SEGA's old Mii costumes are already back in the game and SEGA getting a fourth franchise rep doesn't seem likely. This then suggests this revision:

Square pack: New Square costumes

Namco pack: New Namco costumes

Koei Tecmo pack: New Tecmo costumes, old Capcom costumes

Capcom pack: New Capcom costumes

So, what happens to the hypothetical SEGA costumes? I've noticed that new Mii costumes per pack is rarely more than 4 and that they typically try to have no more than 3 companies represented per pack with only 2 presenting new costumes:

Joker: Atlus, SEGA (old)
Hero: Armor Project
Banjo: Capcom (old), Konami, TPC, Toby Fox
Terry: SNK, SEGA (old)
Byleth: Ubisoft, Capcom (old), MDHR
Min Min: Nintendo, Namco (old), Bethesda
Steve: Mojang, Konami, Namco (old), SUDA 51

As you can see, all the packs have had a new company represented in the form of a Mii costume (not hat) and this trend will likely continue. There's one company that has the most and then the remaining usually reflect this number or have slightly less.

Joker: 2 ATLUS, 2 SEGA (1 new company)
Hero: 3 Armor Project (1)
Banjo: 2 Capcom, 3 Others (3)
Terry: 3 SNK, 2 SEGA (1)
Byleth: 2 Ubisoft, 2 Capcom, 1 MDHR (2)
Min Min: 3 Nintendo, 2 Others (2)
Steve: 3 Mojang, 3 Others (2)

Let's look at the hypothetical Koei Tecmo pack. It currently has Tecmo and Capcom stuff. Based on past precedent, Tecmo will have 2 or 3. If Tecmo only has 2, then odds are there will be another new company in this pack that will have to a standalone Mii costume. If Tecmo has 3, then it will probably just be the two Capcom costumes because most of the packs have had 5 instead of 6. If this is the case, the hypothetical SEGA costumes will likely be split between two different packs, the Namco pack and the Capcom pack just like how Goemon and Bomberman were separate.

Firox

Smash Master
Sorry I don't want to develop a flame war but I really hate this sentiment,

Especially the hypocrisy of it. The idea that politics shouldn't be in video games is itself a political opinion, and it's even worse if you consider video games art, as I do. Could you imagine if Bioshock didn't have a political message? It'd be an infinitely worse game.

You can disagree with a game's politics but to say they shouldn't have politics is rubbish that is used to stifle creativity. People need to realize that media isn't becoming more political, it's just that you're becoming more political and now you're able to see things that you weren't able to as a kid. Not every game is made for you, so instead of using this Weasley rhetoric about wanting politics out of video games, just don't buy games with such "Forced Politics" or just be honest about why you dislike their political message or how they're delivering it. Also, I don't buy this idea that you're not taking a strict side since it's obvious you cared enough to complain about it on an internet forum.
I'd just like to add that without any form of in-game politics, we wouldn't have many Fire Emblem games since almost every one of them has to do with international political disputes. Politics in games isn't inherently bad as long as they pertain to the IN-UNIVERSE dynamic and aren't trying to preach real world politics to the player. One of my favorite RPG's ever was FFX and that game had TONS of pseudo-religious theocratic politics in play with the church of Yevon but it was all fictional and I knew that. It wasn't like I interpreted it as some kind of attack on real world religion or an influence for theocratic government or anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom