• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
If you see any "Travis is 7" rumors... no, don't believe them.
They're from that "No comment" thing, though that 99% does mean we're getting NMH3 content, it's not a fighter, even if he is, he wouldn't be 7.

Dismiss them.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Travis rumours could be a fighter tbh so it's silly to say it's absolutely not going to be but honestly it can just as easily be a spirit event or mii outfit. Either way Suda is usually pretty straight when it comes to Smash and at one point said that he wouldn't let Sakurai leave a room until he accepted or something along those lines so the sudden shift certainly is suspect and implies some No More Heroes content at least. Not that it means much here though but Travis would probably be 8 to 10 should he be in imo

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
IMO, the comments regarding Travis just means that something will likely happen with him and Smash.

Which I'm pretty sure a good chunk of people were already expecting.
Whether that "something" is a fighter or not is a different story. Suda's comment's should really change nothing about most peoples perceptions on his chances, as the likelihood of us getting a Mii costume or a Spirit event for NMH 3 was already ridiculously high beforehand.
Personally, I always thought that Travis will probably end up as a Mii costume, so I'm not the least bit surprised with Suda's refusal to comment.

MattX20

Smash Hero
All the spirit events we've had for the past few months with new content were Square IPs and the Origami King. I'm leaning more towards a Square character like Geno more than anyone else for FP7 right now

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think Travis is 7 or honestly going to be playable at all outside of maybe a Mii costume. There's a long list of reasons I don't believe he's coming but one of the bigger ones is that the first three games really didn't do that great sales wise. The first game did so-so in North America and Europe (couple 100k on the Wii) but the first two had genuinely OOF inducing sales in Japan (roughly 40k for the first game and less than 20k for the second) and sales for the second in North America and Europe combined were roughly 60k. That's super niche, especially in Japan and especially for a third party game. In comparison, Bayonetta sold about 2 million copies worldwide and Bayonetta 2 still managed roughly 700k despite being on the Wii U and she currently represents the worst selling third party series with a playable character currently in Smash by a considerable amount. Going even further, Undertale sold close to 5 million digital copies and the 4 Shovel Knight games sold more than 2.5 million combined.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I don't think Travis is 7 or honestly going to be playable at all outside of maybe a Mii costume. There's a long list of reasons I don't believe he's coming but one of the bigger ones is that the first three games really didn't do that great sales wise. The first game did so-so in North America and Europe (couple 100k on the Wii) but the first two had genuinely OOF inducing sales in Japan (roughly 40k for the first game and less than 20k for the second) and sales for the second in North America and Europe combined were roughly 60k. That's super niche, especially in Japan and especially for a third party game. In comparison, Bayonetta sold about 2 million copies worldwide and Bayonetta 2 still managed roughly 700k despite being on the Wii U and she currently represents the worst selling third party series with a playable character currently in Smash by a considerable amount. Going even further, Undertale sold close to 5 million digital copies and the 4 Shovel Knight games sold more than 2.5 million combined.
Yeaaaaaa, for as much as I like Travis he seems destined for Mii Costume Jail. There's just something about how Nintendo clearly wants to push No More Heroes, to the point of even distributing outside of Japan for both the Switch games, but still won't go the full step of outright publishing or funding the game like they did with Bayonetta that just rubs me the wrong way. I won't be shocked if he ends up getting in, but I'm not betting on it.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeaaaaaa, for as much as I like Travis he seems destined for Mii Costume Jail. There's just something about how Nintendo clearly wants to push No More Heroes, to the point of even distributing outside of Japan for both the Switch games, but still won't go the full step of outright publishing or funding the game like they did with Bayonetta that just rubs me the wrong way. I won't be shocked if he ends up getting in, but I'm not betting on it.
Yeah, it's no offense to No More Heroes because I think the first two games are cool as hell and I'm glad the series was given a second chance but I look at the third party series that have already been rejected for playable characters like Undertale, Shovel Knight, Tekken, Resident Evil, etc and I'm like...

8d2.jpg

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Are people really thinking Sales are that important? Look, i get it, Nintendo wants to add the most popular and recognizable and requested characters around, but there will always be exceptions and outliars (wheter be "Smash Bubble"or non-"smash Bubble") We are talking about the same franchise that put Ike as a playable character, and his games sold like ****.
Yeah, it's no offense to No More Heroes because I think the first two games are cool as hell and I'm glad the series was given a second chance but I look at the third party series that have already been rejected for playable characters like Undertale, Shovel Knight, Tekken, Resident Evil, etc and I'm like...

View attachment 286793
I mean, Bayonetta got in over Puyo Puyo's Arle Nadja and Yakuza's Kiryu, and Banjo Kazooie got over Minecraft and Halo's Master Chief.

I don't put it out of the question that a smaller franchise could get over a way bigger one in Smash, in fact it happens all the time. Franchises like Fate and Tomb Raider are likely not gonna be in Smash for a long time despite selling far better and bringing more money than Castlevania and Mega Man.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Are people really thinking Sales are that important? Look, i get it, Nintendo wants to add the most popular and recognizable and requested characters around, but there will always be exceptions and outliars (wheter be "Smash Bubble"or non-"smash Bubble") We are talking about the same franchise that put Ike as a playable character, and his games sold like ****.

I mean, Bayonetta got in over Puyo Puyo's Arle Nadja and Yakuza's Kiryu, and Banjo Kazooie got over Minecraft and Halo's Master Chief.

I don't put it out of the question that a smaller franchise could get over a way bigger one in Smash, in fact it happens all the time. Franchises like Fate and Tomb Raider are likely not gonna be in Smash for a long time despite selling far better and bringing more money than Castlevania and Mega Man.
You're comparing being in contest with other characters from the same company to being in contest with the ENTIRE possible selection of characters for Nintendo. Bayonetta 2 was funded and published by Nintendo, not to mention that (according to Nintendo) she "WON" the Smash Ballot, and was a highly requested character, certainly more than any other Sega rep (sans another Sonic rep potentially). Banjo was specifically chosen BECAUSE he was super highly requested as well according to Sakurai.

Travis doesn't have the super high levels of fan support of someone like Banjo or, in my eyes, the level of commitment from Nintendo for them to use Smash as a platform to push his game. Not to mention that up until Ultimate's DLC Sakurai was the one picking the roster, and he clearly doesn't really care about sales, but I think Nintendo does, atleast to a far greater extent. For first-parties (or characters from games Nintendo is clearly invested in like Bayo or DQ) it makes sense to put in characters from smaller franchises to promote them on a larger stage, for stuff like third parties it's kinda the opposite, you're using them to bring people IN with big names, compared to first parties where you want to push people to try out the original games.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yeah if the "no comment" bit about Travis does indeed mean there will be NMH Smash content, it wouldn't be for 7.

Could also just be taken as "You all ask me this every time and make articles about it so I decline to even make a remark about it" which is some irony. But it is definitely a good sign for Travis regardless.

But yeah, not for 7. Too soon.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The only sales that probably matter at this point are the second Fighter Pass sales, which I don't think are doing too well given how Nintendo's lackluster marketing has handled it so far

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Ike is first party and Bayo and Banjo not only had the global demand to back them up but each come from series that are million sellers. Plus, Grasshopper is a 20 employee company while Bayo and Banjo are essentially owned by SEGA and Microsoft respectively. It's not the same. Again, no offense to people who want Travis but, in my opinion, this is just the issue that was relevant to the discussion at hand, nevermind everything else.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If sales has done nothing good for Steve (and never will btw)
I mean, a lot of people like and want him, including in Japan, Mojang uses him and Alex in stuff as more than default skins, and Sakurai and Nintendo love Minecraft. Let’s not pretend he’s factually bad and never gonna happen, unless we want to sound like the typical, obnoxious haters of characters.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
As far as sales go, the only way they're going to improve is if the next two characters are either heavily requested fighters, massive 3rd party characters, or both. I liked MinMin and still do, but she won't sell the pass for a lot of people, and most probably bought her individually as of right now

Dukefire

Smash Master
For smash news soon, I can see a lot of people starting to drool with their choice supposedly being "inevitable" or very likely with some evidence and/or actions recently.
Screenshot_20200925-100703_YouTube.jpg

I know it is getting harder to control the hype, but try to channel it for a little longer.
Screenshot_20200923-104251_YouTube.jpg

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Isn’t Grasshopper owned by GungHo?
Yes? It's weird because the studio split in 2018 over management issues, with Suda forming an independent studio with about 20 people like Fatman said. They're still technically owned by Gungho but seem to do everything on their own, even publishing.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Isn’t Grasshopper owned by GungHo?
It is but it's one of those things that just makes the situation worse because Travis hears the doorbell ring, opens the door, and suddenly sees Ragnarok, Puzzles and Dragons, and Ninjala outside, the last which had over three million downloads in its first month alone. In short, bringing GungHo itself into the picture doesn't do No More Heroes any favors.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah if the "no comment" bit about Travis does indeed mean there will be NMH Smash content, it wouldn't be for 7.

Could also just be taken as "You all ask me this every time and make articles about it so I decline to even make a remark about it" which is some irony. But it is definitely a good sign for Travis regardless.

But yeah, not for 7. Too soon.
Lloyd's VA also avoided smash questions way back then when Ultimate had still to come out, yet they did answer questions in previous smash games no problem. By that logic, Lloyd has been waiting to join in for the same reason and even for longer 🤷‍♂️ I don't think devs, VAs or anyone not answering smash questions really mean anything tbh.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Ike is first party and Bayo and Banjo not only had the global demand to back them up but each come from series that are million sellers. Plus, Grasshopper is a 20 employee company while Bayo and Banjo are essentially owned by SEGA and Microsoft respectively. It's not the same. Again, no offense to people who want Travis but, in my opinion, this is just the issue that was relevant to the discussion at hand, nevermind everything else.
I actually don't want Travis at all, god no. But as much as i don't want him that doesn't mean i see him as unlikely. I also think that for as much as some people want the next third parties to be Super Mega Hype megaton bomb reveals................i wouldn't be surprised if they had instead nicher characters (at least, compared to the third parties we have in the roster obviously) there's a point when "diminishing returns" start hitting, and i wouldn't be surprised if FP2 is hit with this. After the likes of Joker, Banjo, Hero and Terry (i would argue Banjo and Joker already shown signs of this), an inevitable fact becomes apparent that the others are just simply not gonna compare.

Back in the Smash 4 days, people were doing the same "not big or popular enough" arguments against Bayo like they do with Travis now, especially because back then, a lot of Smash Speculation on Third Parties was like "THIS THIRD PARTY CHARACTER MUST BE SUPER ICONIC AND MAINSTREAM AND IF DOESN'T COMPARE TO THE ONES ALREADY IN THEY ARE NOT WORTHY" mindset, which was ironically erased with Bayo (just like how "ONE CHARACTER PER COMPANY" was fazed out by Ryu)

Smash's roster choices are like a totem pole, we have gotten a lot of major players, so of course the deeper you go the more obscure they seem in comparison to our Smash veterans. I mean a lot of people don't remember this, but while nowadays Waluigi is seen by many as a blantant missing Nitnendo icon...........back in the Smash 4 days he wasn't highly regarded, but because of the characters included in Smash, what was a character that was in the middle of the totem pole now looks like to be on the top, because the actual top is now in Smash. (at least, most of them, i guess Toad is still higher than him, and BDee is slowly rising)

TL;DR we may get one heavy hitter like MC or Ryu Hayabusa, but i wouldn't be surprised to see a nicher character, even if it's more "niche" than what's in the roster. There will always be characters who sell worse but get in Smash anyway, no matter the reason behind it.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I actually don't want Travis at all, god no. But as much as i don't want him that doesn't mean i see him as unlikely. I also think that for as much as some people want the next third parties to be Super Mega Hype megaton bomb reveals................i wouldn't be surprised if they had instead nicher characters (at least, compared to the third parties we have in the roster obviously) there's a point when "diminishing returns" start hitting, and i wouldn't be surprised if FP2 is hit with this. After the likes of Joker, Banjo, Hero and Terry (i would argue Banjo and Joker already shown signs of this), an inevitable fact becomes apparent that the others are just simply not gonna compare.

Back in the Smash 4 days, people were doing the same "not big or popular enough" arguments against Bayo like they do with Travis now, especially because back then, a lot of Smash Speculation on Third Parties was like "THIS THIRD PARTY CHARACTER MUST BE SUPER ICONIC AND MAINSTREAM AND IF DOESN'T COMPARE TO THE ONES ALREADY IN THEY ARE NOT WORTHY" mindset, which was ironically erased with Bayo (just like how "ONE CHARACTER PER COMPANY" was fazed out by Ryu)

Smash's roster choices are like a totem pole, we have gotten a lot of major players, so of course the deeper you go the more obscure they seem in comparison to our Smash veterans. I mean a lot of people don't remember this, but while nowadays Waluigi is seen by many as a blantant missing Nitnendo icon...........back in the Smash 4 days he wasn't highly regarded, but because of the characters included in Smash, what was a character that was in the middle of the totem pole now looks like to be on the top, because the actual top is now in Smash.

TL;DR we may get one heavy hitter like MC or Ryu Hayabusa, but i wouldn't be surprised to see a nicher character, even if it's more "niche" than what's in the roster. There will always be characters who sell worse but get in Smash anyway, no matter the reason behind it.
I understand this but I will say that when third party characters have gotten in, it's because they're super iconic, have a ton of global demand, or both. Bayo basically got in because of sheer demand and even Sakurai acknowledged this. Looking at what's out there, Travis isn't on the same level. Because I'm probably going to get death threats anyways just for saying I THINK a particular character is unlikely, I might as well go with what I think hurts Travis the most out of a long list of arguments... if Season 2 is going to add a late 20's, motorcycle riding, red jacket wearing, stylized sword using smartass from an M rated series... 10 to 1 it's going to be Dante (and I hate Dante) and comparing the two opens up a whole other can of worms I'd prefer to keep closed.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Smash's roster choices are like a totem pole, we have gotten a lot of major players, so of course the deeper you go the more obscure they seem in comparison to our Smash veterans. I mean a lot of people don't remember this, but while nowadays Waluigi is seen by many as a blantant missing Nitnendo icon...........back in the Smash 4 days he wasn't highly regarded, but because of the characters included in Smash, what was a character that was in the middle of the totem pole now looks like to be on the top, because the actual top is now in Smash. (at least, most of them, i guess Toad is still higher than him, and BDee is slowly rising)

Since when is Hayabusa a heavy hitter? His franchise is more or less dormant at the moment (recently listed collections aside), hasn't had a good game since 2008, and he's not super popular in Smash speculation outside of being seen as the defacto Koei Tecmo rep and as an NES icon alongside characters like Simon and Mega Man, and I'd argue those two have way more association, legacy, reverence within the Nintendo community than he does. None of the reboot games have even been on a Nintendo platform aside from 3, the bad one, launching alongside Wii U. I like the guy but he's pretty niche.

Going over the general argument though, I admit the totem pole analogy is valid but at the same time when there's less heavy hitters still out on the field it just puts the spotlight on the ones still out there even more like Crash and Dante.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I mean, a lot of people like and want him, including in Japan, Mojang uses him and Alex in stuff as more than default skins, and Sakurai and Nintendo love Minecraft. Let’s not pretend he’s factually bad and never gonna happen, unless we want to sound like the typical, obnoxious haters of characters.
All I said is that making bank the way Minecraft has done, is not the criteria why Nintendo would choose Steve in the first place, or any character for that matter. So I will ignore that last part of the comment, since I'm clearly specifically talking about the "making lots of money" nonsense, nothing else, nor I'm ignoring whatever honest reasons people actually have to want/expect him in.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
If you see any "Travis is 7" rumors... no, don't believe them.
They're from that "No comment" thing, though that 99% does mean we're getting NMH3 content, it's not a fighter, even if he is, he wouldn't be 7.

Dismiss them.
Even if Travis is somehow in FP2, there's literally nothing in that statement that implies he's 7 or any other specific spot in the pass. If he really was being blocked by an NDA, it's not like it suddenly only applies when the character is close to release or something.

I feel like Smash fans take any form of evidence as meaning "This is guaranteed to happen within the next 5 minutes"

a random user

Smash Journeyman
Wait, Travis isn't automatically in because Suda51 said something about him related to Smash? Next thing you'll tell me is that Dante isn't fighter 5 because of the DMC announcements! :ultpacman:
nonsense of course dante is in, just look at fan rule #252

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
All I said is that making bank the way Minecraft has done, is not the criteria why Nintendo would choose Steve in the first place, or any character for that matter. So I will ignore that last part of the comment, since I'm clearly specifically talking about the "making lots of money" nonsense, nothing else, nor I'm ignoring whatever honest reasons people actually have to want/expect him in.
Oh, okay.

It just felt weird; I think I’ve seen you not like Steve before, which is fine of course, but this seemed like an implication he couldn’t get in based on how I thought it sounded, since the same can be said for Chief etc. otherwise + the part in parentheses was what I was referring to; the sentence sounded good otherwise. Excuse my mistake. (edit: admittedly I think I’m just being dumb and unreasonably being on eggshells whenever someone mentions Steve after showing they don’t like him, the part in parentheses just seemed to be about him specifically since the sentence was fine regardless so I apologize for being dumb and a bit on edge).

I also think sales don’t really mean anything, at most they help show how iconic something is if it’s widely loved as well. Of course, since Nintendo may not care as long as they like it and it sells DLC, I think Travis could get in too tbh, though I wouldn’t really care about him personally.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
For Travis speculation, I prioritize his music over him the character. Although he would be interesting, I'm far more interested in NMH music.

I think we just were being facetious, not taking it seriously. After all, there´s no telling what kind of characters we might be getting for fp7 and fp8. I could imagine a double reveal but I also doubt it, if it´s in the latter half of october, then yes, double reveal. One character for october/november and one for january. Unless it´s a games award reveal kind of character.
We´re all still waiting for G(eno)odot here.
Oh, I know. Not saying you guys are. But for me honestly, I would be really annoyed at another FE, even if I have a character in mind. Sorry, but its time for that spotlight to go on other franchises right now.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Even if Travis is somehow in FP2, there's literally nothing in that statement that implies he's 7 or any other specific spot in the pass. If he really was being blocked by an NDA, it's not like it suddenly only applies when the character is close to release or something.

I feel like Smash fans take any form of evidence as meaning "This is guaranteed to happen within the next 5 minutes"
Exactly. The way I interpreted it is that No More Heroes is probably getting content of some kind and left it at that.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
What if the missing pictures aren’t just one character and like 6 amiibos? What if it’s 2 characters with 2 amiibos each? Not saying it will be or is even likely, just thinking I could see Geno with Mallow and Smithy, and Chief with maybe Doomguy and Monster thing. I feel that a Cortana costume is impossible for a number of reasons.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I’m just saying, if we get to next week and there’s no announcement for a Sakurai presents or something, I will be

Mildly perturbed for about 25 seconds and then I’ll get back to waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom