• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Sakurai says that you have 5 to choose from this list to fill out the pass, who do you choose?

My picks:

Dante
Master Chief
Geno
Crash
Phoenix Wright
Crash
Geno
Reimu
Master Chief
Dante

Crash because he's my #1 most wanted by a huge margin, Geno because everybody in this thread and beyond who's supported him over the years deserves to have him, Master Chief because not only would it be a pretty big deal, but I just think he'd be neat, Reimu because I have a friend on Twitter who wants her, and Dante because I have another friend on Twitter who wants him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
helloiamhere helloiamhere in that list I would choose:
-Geno: Because DUH, SMRPG is my all time favorite game
-Crash: Because he was a big part in my childhood
-Dante: I think he would have a omega cool moveset and I have one friend who has Dante as his last hope for DLC, every other character he wants is too unlikely
-Lloyd: Because, Comm'on. How do Namco don't have a 2nd Rep? I also think he would interesting
-IDK: Uh, that list has a ton of interesting options. Paper Mario because I love his first 2 games, Sora because of his huge fan demand, Rayman because how isn't he in by now?, Bandana Dee because is one of the last relevant Nintendo characters not in, Rex falls in that group and there are the Sakurai comments on Arms and Xenoblade 2, Chrono Trigger is considered by a lot of people as one of the best games in the entire history so I think Crono would be Ok, Master Chief because how he defined the FPS as much as Doom (Btw: Why DoomSlayer wasn't there?), Hayabusa in how is alongside Battletoads, Contra and Ghost And Goblins the last NES IPS not in, Reimu of how Touhou was a inspiration for a lot of indies, etc. I can't choose

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
You're comparing being in contest with other characters from the same company to being in contest with the ENTIRE possible selection of characters for Nintendo. Bayonetta 2 was funded and published by Nintendo, not to mention that (according to Nintendo) she "WON" the Smash Ballot, and was a highly requested character, certainly more than any other Sega rep (sans another Sonic rep potentially). Banjo was specifically chosen BECAUSE he was super highly requested as well according to Sakurai.

Travis doesn't have the super high levels of fan support of someone like Banjo or, in my eyes, the level of commitment from Nintendo for them to use Smash as a platform to push his game. Not to mention that up until Ultimate's DLC Sakurai was the one picking the roster, and he clearly doesn't really care about sales, but I think Nintendo does, atleast to a far greater extent. For first-parties (or characters from games Nintendo is clearly invested in like Bayo or DQ) it makes sense to put in characters from smaller franchises to promote them on a larger stage, for stuff like third parties it's kinda the opposite, you're using them to bring people IN with big names, compared to first parties where you want to push people to try out the original games.
Hey Pin, you are a really intelligent guy like 95% of the time, so let me stress that I'm not dogging you for no reason when I see part of a post you make that falls under what I consider to be the other 5%.

First off, and this isn't really is a criticism of you Pin, but in general people need to kinda move on from Bayonetta. I understand she ruined Smash 4 and I understand people felt lied to about her, but it wasn't really a lie and frankly those who are still upset about how she was included haven't come to terms with how they had unrealistic expectations for the Smash Ballot. From the get-go, with the Smash Ballot being that deep into the game's life cycle on highly nonperforming console, I knew that at best only one character would get into Smash 4 from the Ballot and that most of the highly voted characters would be considered for the next title. I also knew that they wouldn't just pick whoever got first place, but from a selection of who performed the best in combination with who was actually possible to make, and this led to Bayonetta. In fact, I also knew that because of when they decided to reveal the ballot winner that it couldn't have been someone too demanding to create and that they likely started on it many months ago because that's how development works.

You weren't lied to, unless you count that you kinda lied to yourself.

Now, directly to Pin, this whole 'Nintendo Picks The DLC' thing is one of those very faulty Smash Logic buzz-statements that get tossed around a lot that anyone who thinks hard enough knows is not true.

Smash is Sakurai's game. Sure, Nintendo has kinda cutthroat him on Smash before, but Ultimate has been a joyride in comparison to Brawl or Smash 4. Now we honestly don't REALLY know how character decisions are done: does Nintendo give Sakurai a list and he picks from it? Does Nintendo just toss him five characters and he accepts or vetos and Nintendo tosses him some more until they both agree? Do they give him a vague list of character achetypes to fill? Do they had him a list of companies they can work with and give him the reigns from there? The only thing that's clear is that Nintendo makes sure that they get a 1st Party shill pick that pushes a newer game and that Sakurai has a lot more pull than he tends to let on which has been made evident just by watching the character choices that happened over time (you can't tell me Nintendo picked Joker, Banjo-Kazooie and Terry and told Sakurai to go get them. This screams Sakurai influence.) and looking at statements Sakurai has made over time proves he has WAY more of a say on who gets in than he may have let on earlier on or that people really seem to understand. I guarantee you that when Geno shows up as CP7 there is no way you can credit Nintendo to forcing that on Sakurai unless it comes out he's 1st party now.

That's all I got though, everything else was sound to me. It's early though so I may have missed something crucial, but keep doing the good work out ther bud.

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Even if Travis is somehow in FP2, there's literally nothing in that statement that implies he's 7 or any other specific spot in the pass. If he really was being blocked by an NDA, it's not like it suddenly only applies when the character is close to release or something.

I feel like Smash fans take any form of evidence as meaning "This is guaranteed to happen within the next 5 minutes"
Mmhmm, it's a pretty big problem in terms of assumptions.
Travis gets heard, a big rumor blow out?! well it must be for 7!!! When it can be really anything, like a spirit or a Mii costume.
This same thing happened with ArcSys content, it was heard, and people assumed Sol... Of course... Sol wasn't heard, and we got River City spirits.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I think the odds are good that we'll get a NMH3 Spirit Board Event, and maybe a Mii costume, but Travis becoming a fighter seems like a pretty slim chance.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Mmhmm, it's a pretty big problem in terms of assumptions.
Travis gets heard, a big rumor blow out?! well it must be for 7!!! When it can be really anything, like a spirit or a Mii costume.
This same thing happened with ArcSys content, it was heard, and people assumed Sol... Of course... Sol wasn't heard, and we got River City spirits.
Was anything about ArcSys heard? There may have been discussion about an ArcSys rep but I don't recall anything coming from ArcSys themselves suggesting smash stuff. This is weird either way as Suda wouldn't suddenly change his response without a good reason to when his responses range from just bringing Travis for smash up without being asked and going as far as to say he would not let Sakurai leave until he complied the next time he saw him.

As far as I've saw no one has jumped the gun saying it absolutely means he's playable but it certainly isn't unreasonable to think it implies content in some form, and people just pointed out playable since Travis has been discussed for a while. I remember spam GameFAQS topics existing for him as far back as Brawl which is quite an achievement for a character who I believe was relatively recent at the time.

I've thought he was likely for a while tbh but it could just as easily be a costume but more likely a spirit event instead of a costume imo.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
What a curious morning this has been. A few hours ago, Koei Tecmo unveiled gameplay footage for Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity and in it we got a glimpse of Impa and could see how she plays like. Watching her gameplay triggered something akin to "love at first site" within the context of "characters I'd like to see join Smash". Albeit I'm rooting for certain characters to make it into this Pass, seeing this version of Impa, I wouldn't mind at all if she gets added among one of the remaining Challenger Packs. Now what's truly curious is the nature of the conception of this specific character.

As it is known, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is a game developed by Koei Tecmo, yet the source material is from a Nintendo IP (The Legend of Zelda). Recalling back on one of many dlc Smash rumors from back a year or so ago of perhaps Ryu Hayabusa potentially coming to Smash as a Koei Tecmo rep; at the time it was whether it were true, later turning into "it was most likely bait". A ninja-like character representing Koei Tecmo. However, fast forward to today, and we now have a ninja (kunoichi actually) character that although belonging to Nintendo, its playstyle is all on Koei Tecmo.

puts on tinfoil hat

To get a bit more crazy into speculation, let us recall Geno's Spirit Battle in World of Light. Which character is the one that stands in as Geno in that battle? It's none other than Shiek. Although Shiek is Zelda's alter ego from Ocarina of Time, it is a character that represents the Sheikah clan. To this very day I still find it strange that out of all the characters they could choose to represent Geno (with the likes of Ness perhaps being a better fit) in that Spirit Battle, they chose Shiek. Hmm... could it be? Nah... it couldn't. That spirit battle was set for base game. Planning and development of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity certainly started much later.
Right?

returns to a delirium over the meaning of the number 7 and endless Smash speculation
not really but a little

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman

Sakurai says that you have 5 to choose from this list to fill out the pass, who do you choose?

My picks:

Dante
Master Chief
Geno
Crash
Phoenix Wright
7: Geno
8: Ryu Hayabusa
9: Master Chief
10: Crash Bandicoot
11: Any one of the first parties, but if I had to pick one... Bandana Dee.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
So I'm guessing people are expecting stuff on the 1st which is Thursday? Would like up pretty well now that I think about it (start of month, day Nintendo news typically comes on). Obviously excluding an announcement which would probably happen Tuesday or Wednesday

D

Deleted member

My picks:

Dante
Master Chief
Geno
Crash
Phoenix Wright
Geno
Crash
Master Cheif
Hayabusa
Bandana Dee

For the sake of trying to make many people happy as I can,

Geno
Crash
Master Cheif
Sora
Bandana Dee

Last edited by a moderator:

Griselda

Smash Lord
What's going on? I slept on what amounted to a rock and have no business being awake at the same time as the sun.

Reactions: QQS

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

My picks:

Dante
Master Chief
Geno
Crash
Phoenix Wright
I've posted this on other threads, but I might as well post it here too.

-Geno: I think this goes without saying, since I post here fairly regularly.

-Dante: I've written what's basically four separate movesets for the guy, so I feel like I'm fairly enthusiastic about the idea of him being included

-Travis Touchdown: I've been into the series since around the time that the first game released, and Suda 51 has been fairly persistent when it comes to the idea of Travis being in Smash Bros. (he's been talking about it for more than a decade now)

-2B: while I've only played Nier Automata recently, I could easily see her working in Smash from a gameplay perspective. (like with Dante and Geno, I've already written a moveset for her; even with just limiting it to two weapons, there's no shortage of options) Her design would have to be altered slightly, but that seems easy enough to do.

-Ryu Hayabusa: I haven't played much of Ninja Gaiden, but out of all of the third party characters, I feel like he's one of the most overdue at this point. Koei-Tecmo seems like the last big Japanese developer that doesn't have a playable character in Smash yet, and given the Smash team's treatment of Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden seems like the sort of franchise that they'd jump at the chance to work with.

Mind you, I don't think that Travis and 2B are likely, given how relatively obscure their games/series are compared to the third party characters on the roster. Sure, the same could have been said about Bayonetta before Smash 4's DLC, but as much as I want them to be included, I don't think they'll happen.

If I was trying to keep this somewhat realistic, I'd have Rayman and Crash (or Rayman and Master Chief - seems crazy to say that he's realistic, but here we are) instead of those two. I would have picked Doomguy, but he's not listed.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
So I'm guessing people are expecting stuff on the 1st which is Thursday? Would like up pretty well now that I think about it (start of month, day Nintendo news typically comes on). Obviously excluding an announcement which would probably happen Tuesday or Wednesday
Given that the Smash tournament begins (and seemingly ends today), Monday for an announcement isn't unlikely given that unlike the week prior, there are no major Japanese holidays

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Given that the Smash tournament begins (and seemingly ends today), Monday for an announcement isn't unlikely given that unlike the week prior, there are no major Japanese holidays
Idk Monday seems too early. We did wait 3 days for Min Min but that was because of the weekend overlap so they just announced it a couple more days in advance as they rarely do anything noteworthy on weekends. I'd still say Tuesday or Wednesday but we shouldn't have to wait too long anyway hopefully.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Mr Krabs: 'And the next day. And the next day.
And the next day. And the next day. And the next day. And the next day. And the next day. And the next day. And the next day. And the next day. And the next day. And the next day. '
Not long enough... Missed opportunity to have not made it 20 smashboards pages long

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman

My picks:

Dante
Master Chief
Geno
Crash
Phoenix Wright
Crash
Rayman
Conker
Master Chief (cause Doomguy ain't on here)
Geno
(I love my cartoony platformers and people in power armor with guns)

If we were talking purely personal opinions, then I would swap Geno for BWD but Geno deserves the spot.
I'm only expecting Geno, at least one and at most 2 of the other choices to actually get in.
(Conker sure isn't one of them despite my love for the character).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom