• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Just remembered “Geno blowing up Japan in Smash Kingdom” lol Let’s hope he doesn’t have to do that again. Or at least wait until the game ships worldwide again 😆
Funny, I just rewatched that bit of Smash Kingdom just a couple of days ago. I totally forgot he said that, too.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Forever? No, what a silly thought. But, with Switches flying off the shelves as fast as they can be put onto them, I would expect Smash to continue to make waves. I'm not thinking it has a chance to beat Animal Crossing or the most recent Switch release, but I do expect one of the flagship titles for the Switch to beat sports games.

EDIT:

And just to bring it up, the Wii install base is not a good metric because grandma bought the Wii to do yoga. Adoption of that console was casual gaming based and the gritty looking Super Smash Bros. Brawl with angry Mario on the front was not gonna be what Cooking Mama and Wii Sports Resort "gamers" were buying.
I get your expectations, but you just have to keep in mind that again, fighting games aren't for everyone. Furthermore some people aren't buying a switch because they love Nintendo characters (Main selling point of Smash) but rather the fact that it's a popular idea/product at the moment.

The fact that Ultimate has a 33% attachment rate with the Switch is pretty awesome.

As it stands sports games will always sell well as consoles move off shelves. I wouldn't underestimate something like that. You kind of alluded to it with your edit there. Casual gamers love sports games, and families will always spend money on sports games because kids/teenagers have that innate connection to whatever sport they play in RL.

MattX20

Smash Hero
With the New Horizons update, only Smash and the Crown Tundra DLC remain. Knowing how Pokemon titles have released generally in November since Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire in 2014, it's most likely that the Crown Tundra video will release later on in October so it can be close to an ideal November release date. I'm fairly confident we'll see FP7 revealed and released before the 9th of October

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I have such tunnel vision hype for Geno that this whole video I was just like okay true, but now mention the obvious pick... and when he doesn't mention him at all I realize how blinded I am by my hope that I don't believe there are people out there who can't even conceive his joining.

But hey, at least he's on board with thinking the reveal is soon!

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Considering that, if each unit were full-priced at $60 a pop, and Smash Ultimate sold roughly twenty million copies, that means that Nintendo has pulled in a little over $1,200,000,000 on this game, by itself, and that is not counting the DLC sales of Pass 1, and whoever may have jumped onto Pass 2 from the outset (such as myself).

The game's active sales are of course going to go down, because at this point, anyone and everyone who has wanted Smash Ultimate likely owns the game already, it doesn't mean that it's doing so poorly that even basic uninteresting games are performing better, it just means that Smash has already done the job it set out to do. And that job was raking in over $1.2 Billion dollars.

That amount of money is incredibly hard for people to even really imagine, because it's so ludicrously huge. Nintendo does not hate Smash, I can very well promise you that. You don't hate something that brings in a thousand Millions, there's no way.

D

Deleted member

I have such tunnel vision hype for Geno that this whole video I was just like okay true, but now mention the obvious pick... and when he doesn't mention him at all I realize how blinded I am by my hope that I don't believe there are people out there who can't even conceive his joining.

But hey, at least he's on board with thinking the reveal is soon!
Mew2King and Salem didn't consider Geno in their top DLC characters, and Salem put ****ing Mickey Mouse in his.

Some people just don't think about the boy, what can I say.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm disappointed but not surprised that people skipped over the multiple posts saying 'Now that ACNH Halloween update has been announced and Pokemon will be in late October/early November since the DLC drops on the 30th of November, this pretty much leaves only Smash for this week' and went straight into 'Dum doodley dum, guess there is nothing else this month since I want Smash news and since I want it it can't happen until much later because I need to be tortured by Nintendo.'

Guys, the evidence is there. CP7 is months behind it's intended reveal and release, the announcements for it are already reserved and 7/11 and Amiibo have given us the window in which it will happen.

ITS TIME TO GET ****ING HYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
While "LC"_Lapen "LC"_Lapen already mentioned these, since TerminalMontage's Something About Kirby and the Amazing Mirror video finally dropped on YouTube I figured I'd list these ones as well.

- Super Mario RPG cameo at 0:44, as the Kirbys fall into the new dimension, the Royal Bus can be seen entering in the top-left corner of the screen.
TMGeno041.png

- Geno cameo at 5:23, right after the Kirbys tear Master Hand and Crazy Hand apart, the scene shifts to show the entire battlefield. Geno can be seen within the Mirror for a brief moment before the GAME! text appears.
TMGeno042.png

- As an added bonus, when Kirby calls his friends on his phone at 0:20, text appears in Wingdings. When translated, it reads "/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ".
KirBros.png
If I've missed any cameos from these videos, feel free to let me know.
The search continues...

So, if next week is news time. Who is going to get it? Smash DLC challenger 7 (possibly 8) or Pokémon Crown Tundra DLC update?
I think it's more likely than not going to be Smash, given that the amiibos have dropped recently in Japan and I don't think they'd want to wait too long on getting their functionality added to the game. And since we're three months about from our last character reveal... yeah, most likely Smash. Hopefully.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Imagine the faces on everyone if we’ve been waiting for months for CP7’s announcement and it ends up being a Pokemon rep or a sword fighter.
I've literally seen that exact same point from people saying that getting something like Pokemon, Rex, Travis, Geno, Waluigi etc as character 7 would be super underwhelming after so many months.

At this point, unless character 7 ends up being a huge modern icon with a significant fanbase like Chief, Doomguy, Crash, Sora, or Dante, I fully expect them to have quite a bit of a backlash due to the long wait between 6 and 7.

The thing is that I still wouldn't count out Pokemon/Rex/Travis/Geno/Waluigi for 7 just because it's pretty clear that plans changed and 7 has likely been in a presentable state for a long, long time. I doubt Nintendo is going to be afraid of some backlash due to possible "mistiming"; even if the character isn't some huge deal in general.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think 7 or 8 will be disappointing for the simple fact that it's pretty clear now that after an almost 4 MONTH postponement, both have been borderline confirmed to be the E3 reveals. Literally going back to 2001, E3 has been the place for most of the biggest reveals. It's been the place of reveals of most of the biggest fan picks, the biggest third party icons, the biggest surprises and curve balls, etc.

2001: Bowser, Peach, Sheik, Ice Climbers

2006: Metaknight, Pit, ZSS, Wario, Snake

2013: Villager, Megaman, Wii Fit

2014: Miis, Palutena, Pac-Man

2015: Roy and Ryu

2018: Daisy and Ridley

2019: Hero and Banjo

With rumors of new hardware and countless other things, I don't think Smash at E3 2020 was going to be tepid in the least. I think they were going to go big and now with everything in chaos it's now a matter of figuring out the right time to announce this stuff.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Imagine the faces on everyone if we’ve been waiting for months for CP7’s announcement and it ends up being a Pokemon rep or a sword fighter.
Imagine if it's both a pokemon and fire emblem character. The amount of salt after that would rival the red sea.
----
There's no guarantee that the next character is a big one.
Most people expect crash, and geno fans expect Geno.

Firox

Smash Master
Imagine if it's both a pokemon and fire emblem character. The amount of salt after that would rival the red sea.
----
This is my biggest concern right now. I honestly think Geno has the best chance of being 7 due to all the evidence, both circumstantial and otherwise, however, there is still a very real chance that fighter 7 could be totally out of left field. This IS Sakurai we're talking about. Unless we get a SOLID leak beforehand, I don't think we've ever successfully predicted a reveal. Some of them make a lot of sense in retrospect, and Geno is certainly probable at some point, but as to whether he's next per se is anyone's guess. Unfortunately, we're going to need at least another reveal or two to figure out what direction, if any, this pass is heading. For example, if the next two characters are exclusively first party, that will certainly effect expectations. There's always exceptions of course, but that won't stop detractors from drawing their own conclusions.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
----
Pokemon? Very begrudgingly accepted just because its one of the biggest franchises in the world (but people will be against it)

But FE? Hell. No. No, no, no, no, no. That might be the straw that drives people completely against the franchise. You can't keep pushing something and be surprised when that same pushing starts to damage it.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Imagine thinking that Pokemon is getting a rep when history shows us the only Pokemon DLC ever was Metwo who was the most requested veteran, TPC is weird about their content being DLC outside of mainline games, and Pokemon generations have been skipped over before.

The evidence points to new Pokemon coming with new Smash in the base game and taking from the most recent game at the time or being very finished in development.

Also, FE has no new game and it seems Nintendo only cares about shilling characters from new games in the series as opposed to those people would want to play, so we don't need to worry about that either.

Stop entertaining silly ideas and look at the hard evidence guys.

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Have we also considered the theory that maybe Geno was initially planned as 7, but with the likely upcoming SMRPG Remake, maybe they swapped him out to release later down the road (Fighter 8 or 9) to coincide with SMRPG news?

I realize there’s a lot of leaps of logic there, but it’s not impossible...

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Have we also considered the theory that maybe Geno was initially planned as 7, but with the likely upcoming SMRPG Remake, maybe they swapped him out to release later down the road (Fighter 8 or 9) to coincide with SMRPG news?

I realize there’s a lot of leaps of logic there, but it’s not impossible...
My Intel from the Brotherhood of Shadow suggests that either this delay for CP7 is because they are still matching up Geno with SMRPGR/SMRPG2 or that the two have been separated and they are making a trailer to reveal Geno that doesn't involve a remake/sequel announcement.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
My Intel from the Brotherhood of Shadow suggests that either this delay for CP7 is because they are still matching up Geno with SMRPGR/SMRPG2 or that the two have been separated and they are making a trailer to reveal Geno that doesn't involve a remake/sequel announcement.
I can’t tell if this is serious or not...

Edit: Shadow didn’t say that. You should probably confirm you are joking so we don’t confuse anyone on the thread.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
  • The Wii U ports are out of the way
  • The Mario 35th Anniversary is out of the way
  • The New Holiday Title (Age of Calamity) is out of the way
  • The Obligitory Random Small Eshop Game is out of the way
  • The AC Halloween update is out of the way
  • The monthly Partner Showcase was last week, meaning we aren't getting one for a good couple weeks still
  • Pokemon DLC likely isn't until November
  • Nintendo has been doing weekly announcements the entire month
  • The 7/11 ad, amiibo theory, and the Photo Contest post number all point to 7 being soon.
ARE WE GOOD? IS THERE A N Y T H I N G ELSE WE HAVE TO GO THROUGH TO GET TO THE INFORMATION WE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN 3 AND A HALF MONTHS AGO?

As for people worried about 7 being a wet fart, remember that they were meant to be at E3. (Also that Nintendo giving FE another character right after they just did isn't going to happen and that the only thing Pokemon has going for it is that "it's a recent Switch game" and that the SWSH spirit event and Rocket Costume both point against Pokemon getting a character, especially early in the pass)

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Another reason why I think 8 is going to be a really, really big deal is because, since 2006, the big third party announcements have never been first. Snake, Megaman, Pac-Man, Ryu, and Banjo were last and Megaman was second. As I showed in my last post, every single E3 that Smash had a prominent appearance at has had at least two reveals and we have a lot to show that 6/Min Min was intended for before E3 but was hit with a double whammy of balancing issues and COVID. 7 and 8 were supposed to be the E3 reveals and this becomes even more apparent when you reduce every E3 down to its two most prominent characters.

2001: Bowser and Peach
2006: Wario and Snake
2013: Villager and Megaman
2014: Palutena and Pac-Man

You basically see the same thing over and over again. The consistent reveals at E3 for the past 19 years have been 1. Big fan favorites and 2. massive third party icons. If there isn't a third party character, they double up and that's how it's been for longer than some of you have been alive.

Dukefire

Smash Master
If a double reveal is possible, then what two characters would they show?

Obviously, Sakurai will only present one and give a sneak peek of another like how he did with Banjo & Kazooie's showcase. Though, it may not happen, but we can only guess.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Another reason why I think 8 is going to be a really, really big deal is because, since 2006, the big third party announcements have never been first. Snake, Megaman, Pac-Man, Ryu, and Banjo were last and Megaman was second. As I showed in my last post, every single E3 that Smash had a prominent appearance at has had at least two reveals and we have a lot to show that 6/Min Min was intended for before E3 but was hit with a double whammy of balancing issues and COVID. 7 and 8 were supposed to be the E3 reveals and this becomes even more apparent when you reduce every E3 down to its two most prominent characters.

2001: Bowser and Peach
2006: Wario and Snake
2013: Villager and Megaman
2014: Palutena and Pac-Man

You basically see the same thing over and over again. The consistent reveals at E3 for the past 19 years have been 1. Big fan favorites and 2. massive third party icons. If there isn't a third party character, they double up and that's how it's been for longer than some of you have been alive.
And soon...
2020: Geno and Crash :denzel:

Just to fool around a bit, let us bask in the wonder of the number 7; number of perfection, of creation, of spirituality, number of Ye' Holy Word. :starman::starman::starman::geno:Also, the number of The Chariot, of Libra and Pisces!

slowly falls into delirium over the number seven

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
If a double reveal is possible, then what two characters would they show?

Obviously, Sakurai will only present one and give a sneak peek of another like how he did with Banjo & Kazooie's showcase. Though, it may not happen, but we can only guess.
Tbh I would hope for Geno (Obviously) and a really big name. Many people feel that Ultimate's hype alredy died so I think we need a character to keep the game alive like Crash of Chief. Even it would Overshadow Geno.
I would expect a Hero/Banjo moment with Geno and something like Lloyd, Reimu or Arle

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'll be greedy/unrealistic and hope for a double reveal, but its FP Geno with bonus Mallow and then FP Crash with bonus Dixie.

Noipoi

Howdy!
All I really want outta Fighters Pass 2: Waiting boogaloo is Geno and Crash. Double reveal or no.

They’re cool characters who’d have cool movesets, and on a purely stylistic level, it’d make sure the second pass has more art style variety. The first pass was 3/5ths anime and 2/5ths other. With Crash and Geno along with Min-Min you’d have three zany looking characters to balance things out with the inevitable realistic and/or anime styled characters. I know it matters to literally no one else, but it matters to me damnit!

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Pokemon? Very begrudgingly accepted just because its one of the biggest franchises in the world (but people will be against it)

But FE? Hell. No. No, no, no, no, no. That might be the straw that drives people completely against the franchise. You can't keep pushing something and be surprised when that same pushing starts to damage it.
Imagine thinking that Pokemon is getting a rep when history shows us the only Pokemon DLC ever was Metwo who was the most requested veteran, TPC is weird about their content being DLC outside of mainline games, and Pokemon generations have been skipped over before.

The evidence points to new Pokemon coming with new Smash in the base game and taking from the most recent game at the time or being very finished in development.

Also, FE has no new game and it seems Nintendo only cares about shilling characters from new games in the series as opposed to those people would want to play, so we don't need to worry about that either.

Stop entertaining silly ideas and look at the hard evidence guys.
I think we just were being facetious, not taking it seriously. After all, there´s no telling what kind of characters we might be getting for fp7 and fp8. I could imagine a double reveal but I also doubt it, if it´s in the latter half of october, then yes, double reveal. One character for october/november and one for january. Unless it´s a games award reveal kind of character.
We´re all still waiting for G(eno)odot here.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Some say it is Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes as Challenger 7 since the creator for the series has been silent in an interview question about Smash Bros.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Some say it is Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes as Challenger 7 since the creator for the series has been silent in an interview question about Smash Bros.
Considering that game development moves at its own pace separate from the rest of the world, I have to wonder if the span of time between the last time he talked about Smash and this latest event where he gave an NDA-Styled answer can help us figure out about when, if at all, Travis may make the landing. That said, that may not mean anything at all if they contact all potential candidates the moment the roster is finalized. But, like, if he was spotted recently talking about it like there was no issue, and now it's suddenly an issue and he's acting weird and tight-lipped about it, then there may be a clue in there somewhere.

I don't think it's going to be 7, but the implications do suggest Travis at large to be an inevitability, not a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom