• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well with Bayonetta 3

"Everything is fine, it really is I mean it. STOP ASKING! QUIT ASKING ABOUT BAYONETTA 3 IT'S FINE! It's going smoothly, it's FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!"

That's the... semi-official line anyway.
Actually, knowing Kamiya, I think it's something along the lines of BLOCKED.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I will always cherish late 2017. That’s when I first got my switch, all I had was BOTW and Splatoon 2 and that’s all I needed. Then Mario Odyssey came out, good lord was that a fun holiday.

2018 was the worst year of my life (for personal reasons that have no place in this thread). Smash was incredible but I didn’t buy many switch games outside of that.

2019 was another great year for my switch. Mario Maker 2, Three Houses, Luigi’s Mansion 3. Don’t get me started on Banjo reveal and the Sans costume. I probably had the most fun with Pokémon Sword. I know I know, the game sucks. I’m not denying it’s flaws, I think it’s lackluster overall. But I went in partly blind, and as a Pokémon superfan discovering all the new Pokémon as I played was some of the most fun I’ve had in years.

2020 had animal crossing which was fun for a while, and Paper Mario which was decently enjoyable. I’m looking forward to the Mario collection, Crown Tundra, Pikmin and Hyrule Warriors but I’d definitely say this year was a weaker one for me. At least I discovered one of my new favorite series in Donkey Kong this year.

Seems I have more fun in odd numbered years. Hope that bodes well for 2021?
I think 2021 could be a legitimately great year (even putting aside leaks and rumors). I feel like fans some that same thing every year, but with things being delayed and with Nintendo developers who haven't released anything until the start of the Switch probably ready to show stuff off... I'm getting a decent feeling!
These are my predictions based on not only just logical conjecture, but some rumors sprinkled in. It is a bit longer so if you don't care just scroll past.

To start, I 100% believe that the sequel to Breath of the Wild will be 2021's holiday game. It not only gives the team more time to work on the game, but it also slots in perfectly as Nintendo's big holiday game. And on top of that, it would be the perfect capstone to The Legend of Zelda's 35th anniversary! Aside from BOTW 2, Skyward Sword HD is heavily rumored and they could maybe be a Zelda collection of some sort (akin to Super Mario 3D All-Stars).

The Splatoon team is the one currently working on Animal Crossing, so I doubt Splatoon 3 is coming soon (plus I imagine they'll save that game). Though there are rumblings of a Splatoon spinoff that could possibly happen at some point.

The 3D Mario team is in a weird state because they were suspiciously quiet since Super Mario Odyssey without any DLC (which raised many eyebrows). This year would've been around the same gap of time as when Galaxy 2 released after the original game. I say that because personally, I was thinking Odyssey DLC underwent the same treatment as Galaxy 2; Odyssey DLC got too ambitious so the team decided to make a sequel (this is what happened to Galaxy 2). But now that Super Mario 3D All-Stars and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's A Furry? are coming out now, I wonder if now a new 3D Mario game may not happen soon. Yes these games didn't take years to port, but still. While the Switch is going to have a longer lifespan than typical hardware (according to Nintendo), 3D Mario is an enigma for me.

I am hard predicting a new Donkey Kong game. Donkey Kong is one of Nintendo's most popular franchises and yet hasn't had a new game in over half a decade. Miyamoto is apparently always pushing for some sort of Donkey Kong to be in development somewhere, so I imagine Nintendo had to find a DK team internally to develop the game (since Retro Studios has apparently been in flames the past few years). Adding in what DK insiders say (a group of people who are usually quite silent), and I believe we'll see DK soon.

MonolithSoft, the developers of Xenoblade and helpers of the BOTW games among many other games, are actually quite the prolific studio. They have been constantly growing and not only have stated they wish to grow the Xenoblade brand due to its success, but also have been a major asset in helping with 1st party internal Nintendo games. They apparently have 3 studios working on things right now. One who is primarily works on Xenoblade games (which has had a game that's been in development since a little before XC2 released), one who helps with Nintendo (they're helping with BOTW 2), and another that posted images a few years ago for what could be a new IP (mayyyyybe Zelda). I would wager we either see MonolithSoft's new IP or Xenoblade Chronicles 3 this year (unsure if any would release this year). You may think that because we just got Definitive Edition that we wouldn't get XC3 for years to come, but only half of the main Xenoblade team worked on that remaster and the other half have been working on that title that has been in development since a little before XC2. It is likely XC3 since MonolithSoft's director has made it clear that the studio wishes to keep expanding the Xenoblade brand. So, yeah, XC3 is probably sooner than people think.

A new Metroid game coming soon seems inevitable. Whether that be the rumored 2D Metroid game or the Prime Trilogy, I am willing to bet we'll see Metroid soon.

Camelot are being busybees with some sort of project that may or may not be related to Golden Sun. I have heard rumblings about this, but not as strongly as other rumors. It is unlikely they're developing a new Mario Golf game, but there is always that possibility.

HAL Laboratory is, of course, hard at work on the next Kirby game. Star Allies felt a bit played out and the end of a formula that ran its course according to many fans. Apparently the developers agree because they have gone on record saying that they want the next Kirby game to really push the envelope. I hope that this means a full 3D Kirby game is being made, but that's just speculation. Star Allies released in 2018 so I'm unsure if this next Kirby game would release next year, but we may see it.

New Pokémon Snap is obviously going to be released next year (probably sooner rather than later) and, of course, there are rumors about Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl remakes. If it were my way, we wouldn't see these games for a whiI sincerely want these games to have all the time they need. ...but that seems unlikely. The games could very well be shown and released next year.

Sora Ltd. and our main man Sakurai, of course, is developing Ice Climber: Uprising and making a brand new Kid Icarus game! ...or probably not. No, as we know, Sakurai will continue to develop Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's Fighter Pass Vol. 2 DLC for all of the hungry masses. The DLC will most assuredly be of high quality, even if the character choices aren't to everyone's liking.

While not being developed by Nintendo, according to some people, Square Enix has a "super butt fun double chimichunga" project that may or may not have to do with Super Mario RPG. It could be a remake or a sequel.

Intelligent Systems just released Paper Mario: The Origami Salami, but there is probably a Fire Emblem team toiling away at a game as we speak. It is most likely not a new game but could be a remake of some kind. It feels like there a rumor of some sort of Fire Emblem remake with the game(s) in question ranging all over. It could be those canceled 3DS remakes, or it could be the Radiance/Radiant games (Ike's games). A Fire Emblem remake could be shown off this year, but who knows.

Lastly there could be some stuff happening with Nintendo lending out their IPs to some Indie developers, but the specifics on this are kind of spotty it seems.

Oh, and Pikmin 4 will not be shown off this year, once again. Just to make Pikmin fans like me suffer. (No, Pikmin 4 wasn't Hey! Pikmin, look it up.)

It seems like Nintendo has some cool things in the pipeline and we need to remember that Nintendo ALWAYS has surprises that don't leak. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity didn't leak and that was pretty exciting. If an official BOTW prequel didn't leak, who knows what Nintendo has cookin'.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
At this point, unless the next DLC character is a knock out of the park choice like Geno, Smash Ultimate as a game is dead to me.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think 2021 could be a legitimately great year (even putting aside leaks and rumors). I feel like fans some that same thing every year, but with things being delayed and with Nintendo developers who haven't released anything until the start of the Switch probably ready to show stuff off... I'm getting a decent feeling!
These are my predictions based on not only just logical conjecture, but some rumors sprinkled in. It is a bit longer so if you don't care just scroll past.

To start, I 100% believe that the sequel to Breath of the Wild will be 2021's holiday game. It not only gives the team more time to work on the game, but it also slots in perfectly as Nintendo's big holiday game. And on top of that, it would be the perfect capstone to The Legend of Zelda's 35th anniversary! Aside from BOTW 2, Skyward Sword HD is heavily rumored and they could maybe be a Zelda collection of some sort (akin to Super Mario 3D All-Stars).

The Splatoon team is the one currently working on Animal Crossing, so I doubt Splatoon 3 is coming soon (plus I imagine they'll save that game). Though there are rumblings of a Splatoon spinoff that could possibly happen at some point.

The 3D Mario team is in a weird state because they were suspiciously quiet since Super Mario Odyssey without any DLC (which raised many eyebrows). This year would've been around the same gap of time as when Galaxy 2 released after the original game. I say that because personally, I was thinking Odyssey DLC underwent the same treatment as Galaxy 2; Odyssey DLC got too ambitious so the team decided to make a sequel (this is what happened to Galaxy 2). But now that Super Mario 3D All-Stars and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's A Furry? are coming out now, I wonder if now a new 3D Mario game may not happen soon. Yes these games didn't take years to port, but still. While the Switch is going to have a longer lifespan than typical hardware (according to Nintendo), 3D Mario is an enigma for me.

I am hard predicting a new Donkey Kong game. Donkey Kong is one of Nintendo's most popular franchises and yet hasn't had a new game in over half a decade. Miyamoto is apparently always pushing for some sort of Donkey Kong to be in development somewhere, so I imagine Nintendo had to find a DK team internally to develop the game (since Retro Studios has apparently been in flames the past few years). Adding in what DK insiders say (a group of people who are usually quite silent), and I believe we'll see DK soon.

MonolithSoft, the developers of Xenoblade and helpers of the BOTW games among many other games, are actually quite the prolific studio. They have been constantly growing and not only have stated they wish to grow the Xenoblade brand due to its success, but also have been a major asset in helping with 1st party internal Nintendo games. They apparently have 3 studios working on things right now. One who is primarily works on Xenoblade games (which has had a game that's been in development since a little before XC2 released), one who helps with Nintendo (they're helping with BOTW 2), and another that posted images a few years ago for what could be a new IP (mayyyyybe Zelda). I would wager we either see MonolithSoft's new IP or Xenoblade Chronicles 3 this year (unsure if any would release this year). You may think that because we just got Definitive Edition that we wouldn't get XC3 for years to come, but only half of the main Xenoblade team worked on that remaster and the other half have been working on that title that has been in development since a little before XC2. It is likely XC3 since MonolithSoft's director has made it clear that the studio wishes to keep expanding the Xenoblade brand. So, yeah, XC3 is probably sooner than people think.

A new Metroid game coming soon seems inevitable. Whether that be the rumored 2D Metroid game or the Prime Trilogy, I am willing to bet we'll see Metroid soon.

Camelot are being busybees with some sort of project that may or may not be related to Golden Sun. I have heard rumblings about this, but not as strongly as other rumors. It is unlikely they're developing a new Mario Golf game, but there is always that possibility.

HAL Laboratory is, of course, hard at work on the next Kirby game. Star Allies felt a bit played out and the end of a formula that ran its course according to many fans. Apparently the developers agree because they have gone on record saying that they want the next Kirby game to really push the envelope. I hope that this means a full 3D Kirby game is being made, but that's just speculation. Star Allies released in 2018 so I'm unsure if this next Kirby game would release next year, but we may see it.

New Pokémon Snap is obviously going to be released next year (probably sooner rather than later) and, of course, there are rumors about Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl remakes. If it were my way, we wouldn't see these games for a whiI sincerely want these games to have all the time they need. ...but that seems unlikely. The games could very well be shown and released next year.

Sora Ltd. and our main man Sakurai, of course, is developing Ice Climber: Uprising and making a brand new Kid Icarus game! ...or probably not. No, as we know, Sakurai will continue to develop Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's Fighter Pass Vol. 2 DLC for all of the hungry masses. The DLC will most assuredly be of high quality, even if the character choices aren't to everyone's liking.

While not being developed by Nintendo, according to some people, Square Enix has a "super butt fun double chimichunga" project that may or may not have to do with Super Mario RPG. It could be a remake or a sequel.

Intelligent Systems just released Paper Mario: The Origami Salami, but there is probably a Fire Emblem team toiling away at a game as we speak. It is most likely not a new game but could be a remake of some kind. It feels like there a rumor of some sort of Fire Emblem remake with the game(s) in question ranging all over. It could be those canceled 3DS remakes, or it could be the Radiance/Radiant games (Ike's games). A Fire Emblem remake could be shown off this year, but who knows.

Lastly there could be some stuff happening with Nintendo lending out their IPs to some Indie developers, but the specifics on this are kind of spotty it seems.

Oh, and Pikmin 4 will not be shown off this year, once again. Just to make Pikmin fans like me suffer. (No, Pikmin 4 wasn't Hey! Pikmin, look it up.)

It seems like Nintendo has some cool things in the pipeline and we need to remember that Nintendo ALWAYS has surprises that don't leak. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity didn't leak and that was pretty exciting. If an official BOTW prequel didn't leak, who knows what Nintendo has cookin'.
All I’d need is DK and Gen 4 remakes to be happy. Everything else is a bonus.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Why are people expecting an announcement in about 10 mins?

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Apparently, Blocked Content believes Fatman is a leaker lol!

This dude man. Blocked Content never get's his **** right and takes the bait for any leak or what anyone tells him.
I know I've said this in the past, but it seriously makes me sad what Blocked Content's channel has come to. What was once a original and unique content creator that covered loads of Nintendo information in such high-quality fashion with top tier editing, has now turned in to just another LaxChris clone that isn't even trying to be unique, and is now clearly doing these videos now that he has a name in the community and is really just doing it for the ad revenue now. He isn't even trying at this point. And literally every video is the same. He gives some attention to some nobody on the internet who claims they're a "leaker", and makes ten minute videos on this hilariously fake leak. For crying out loud, he covered the obvious fake Toad PM mod and treated it like a leak. This dude has lost all sense of creativity and its really sad to see. I've given LaxChris crap in the past for doing this sort of thing, but at least LaxChris stopped making videos like this. Blocked Content just keeps going somehow.

Also, I don't mean to promote my YouTube channel or anything, but just last year I made a parody video called, "Blocked Content In A Nutshell". Its basically one video where I poke fun at BC the entire time and I try to act like him for fun. I highly recommend giving it a watch:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Been a while, huh?

What's with tonight in particular?
Why are people expecting an announcement in about 10 mins?
Because lately not all announcements have been early in the morning. Sometimes it's 9:00 AM, sometimes it's 7:00 PM, sometimes it's 12:00 AM. Nintendo has been weird with what time they have been announcing stuff lately.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Earlier this afternoon I was remembering the Joker shadow-dropped detailed trailer. The thing went live during the night and I remember Jirard (The Completionist) was joined by xD1x and V0id. Just as they were recording their convo, the presentation went live. Would be nice if something similar happened (which it won't).

I would not mind AT ALL eating those last words in parenthesis.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Still no announcement yet. Have any of Nintendo's Twitter accounts tweeted anything (you know, besides an announcement) yet?

Still holding out for something in the evening, but I won't lie, I'm getting more and more worried by the minute.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
POV: You are a Nintendo employee about to ask Sakurai about the update of FP7, when all of a sudden the Nintendo Ninjas ambush you, knock you out, and when you wake up, the first thing you see is this:
5A8B34F2-8965-40CB-8C5F-0D463342F470.jpeg

please tell me someone knows what show I’m referencing in this image

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Rn, I am expecting either of these three ways:
-It's announced Tuesday and Aired Thursday
-They literally make us wait until the end of the month
-It's a random shadowdrop soon. I know it won't be good make a Smash Fighter a "Meh, there it is" reveal for the hype and how huge Smash is, but if Nintendo shadowdropped PM: TOK, Pikmin 3 and TLOZ: AOC I wouldn't be suprised. I just want Smash news. Idc if literally nobody react to the trailer (Indepent if it is a Character I want or No). I just feel Ultimate need something now

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I saw earlier there was some discussion about COVID delaying things. While I do think production hasn’t been affected; a lot of companies in Japan, especially larger ones, are still having workers stay at home despite many of them still ill-suited for remote working. That’s because many businesses and offices rely on a central network with less emphasis on file sharing between departments. Trying to get assets from other department isn’t as readily available as in western countries. It requires far more paperwork and signing off on documents which is hard when those who have to sign off for it are at home. For my work at the Board of Education, even though we were told to stay home from April to May, we still have to come in if we wanted access to files and documents so we had to bring a protected USB to store the files in to bring back home. My friend works at Line, a instant messaging and social media company, as a translator and has been working from home since January. Even now, he said he works at about 40% capacity because he still can’t get the required documents and resources. They have a better way to share files but it’s still limited compared to America. I’m willing to bet many of Nintendo’s employees? Including Smash, is in a similar situation. Larger companies are finding it hard to adapt to “the new normal” compared to smaller and newer companies.

So while F7 is probably ready to roll out since July or early August, the situation at Nintendo and their inability to adapt is what’s causing such a delay. Sakurai and his team are probably working at near full-capacity but other departments aren’t. Not sure how that bodes for Geno though but I do think we will be playing the waiting game until October.

Last edited:

a random user

Smash Journeyman

MattX20

Smash Hero
I saw earlier there was some discussion about COVID delaying things. While I do think production hasn’t been affected; a lot of companies in Japan, especially larger ones, are still having workers stay at home despite many of them still ill-suited for remote working. That’s because many businesses and offices rely on a central network with less emphasis on file sharing between departments. Trying to get assets from other department isn’t as readily available as in western countries. It requires far more paperwork and signing off on documents which is hard when those who have to sign off for it are at home. For my work at the Board of Education, even though we were told to stay home from April to May, we still have to come in if we wanted access to files and documents so we had to bring a protected USB to store the files in to bring back home. My friend works at Line, a instant messaging and social media company, as a translator and has been working from home since January. Even now, he said he works at about 40% capacity because he still can’t get the required documents and resources. They have a better way to share files but it’s still limited compared to America. I’m willing to bet many of Nintendo’s employees? Including Smash, is in a similar situation. Larger companies are finding it hard to adapt to “the new normal” compared to smaller and newer companies.

So while F7 is probably ready to roll out since July or early August, the situation at Nintendo and their inability to adapt is what’s causing such a delay. Sakurai and his team are probably working at near full-capacity but other departments aren’t. Not sure how that bodes for Geno though but I do think we will be playing the waiting game until October.
It would explain a great deal if that turns out to be true. I suppose the next Sakurai interview could probably highlight that

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Thing is, Sakurai did say that everything was going smoothly despite COVID. So either they are REALLY taking their sweet time or he was completely BSing when he said that.

EDIT: Sorry, double post
I think there's multiple reasons for the delays. For the case of 7 (and likely Geno), I think a lot of it has to do with wanting to announce Geno and the highly probable SMRPG remake at the same time. I think it's a timing thing and not because Sakurai and his band of merry men are struggling. If anything, Sakurai's team is probably ahead of schedule and is being forced to sit on a ton because Nintendo won't let them announce certain things yet.

D

Deleted member

I think there's multiple reasons for the delays. For the case of 7 (and likely Geno), I think a lot of it has to do with wanting to announce Geno and the highly probable SMRPG remake at the same time. I think it's a timing thing and not because Sakurai and his band of merry men are struggling. If anything, Sakurai's team is probably ahead of schedule and is being forced to sit on a ton because Nintendo won't let them announce certain things yet.
Do you think there are other characters that are likely to take 77 spot in your opinion?

Last edited by a moderator:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I dunno what it is about the build up to CP 7’s reveal, but it for some reason doesn’t feel as excruciating as the build up to CP 5’s reveal was. Maybe it’s because we’re at least getting game announcements in between, or maybe it’s because we’re all just so jaded at this point.

Obviously I’m kind of just ready for the character to be announced at this point, the waiting is starting to become irritating since we all know it’s happening soon, just not soon enough, ya feel me?

anyways here’s a funny hoohah i made today, have a good weekend folks
E2623F60-8173-45AB-B321-91E7EF072E21.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom