• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
I want to clear up some Hayabusa confusion before anyone finds out about it and brings it here and dooms over it.
No, Hayabusa has not been seriously heard by anyone to be Fighter 77.
It's a assumption made by people due to the recent Trilogy rating and it says that it's hitting Switch and PS4 in March 2021
It's one/two guys out of a lot of other people who have heard of somebody else...

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/super-smash-bros-ultimate-nintendo-switch-dlc-characters-ryu/

Just to clear that up for you guys.

Now let Geno spin. :geno:

To add onto this post, Hayabusa is feeling a lot like how Steve felt back at E3.
He was heard by like... a few people (Including Verge), but it didn't line up with anything so it was dismissed.

The same situation will happen here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've been saying it since early 2019 but Ryu is just... Weird. He's been part of the conversation since late 2018 but nobody really knows why. Koei Tecmo has very obviously been a real pal to Nintendo in recent years but the Ninja Gaiden franchise has technically been dead for about 6 1/2 years now and even Team Ninja admitted earlier this year after the Fighter's Pass was finalized that they had no hard future plans for the series yet:

I think people are making the same mistake they did with Dante and thinking he would be 5 or 6 because of the ports and remaster. I still think Dante is coming because way too many people officially involved in the series have expressed a ton of interest in it but, as I've been saying since January, I think he's 10 at the earliest based on everything else. It also doesn't particularly help that this trilogy hasn't been officially announced yet so that date is merely a placeholder, kind of like how the Switch Bioshock collection was leaked in a similar way in January but didn't even come out until late May.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've been saying it since early 2019 but Ryu is just... Weird. He's been part of the conversation since late 2018 but nobody really knows why. Koei Tecmo has very obviously been a real pal to Nintendo in recent years but the Ninja Gaiden franchise has technically been dead for about 6 1/2 years now and even Team Ninja admitted earlier this year after the Fighter's Pass was finalized that they had no hard future plans for the series yet:

I think people are making the same mistake they did with Dante and thinking he would be 5 or 6 because of the ports and remaster. I still think Dante is coming because way too many people officially involved in the series have expressed a ton of interest in it but, as I've been saying since January, I think he's 10 at the earliest based on everything else. It also doesn't particularly help that this trilogy hasn't been officially announced yet so that date is merely a placeholder, kind of like how the Switch Bioshock collection was leaked in a similar way in January but didn't even come out until late May.
Apart from Level 5, they're the only company that technically doesn't have any content of theirs in Smash despite being fairly close. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Ryu Hayabusa join as the Ninja Gaiden series has some fantastic music

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
How does a collection of ports affect any chance of Smash news at all
Well you see, when you stick around these boards long enough, you start to just get pessimistic for no reason at all.

To seriously answer your question, you're completely right and it doesn't affect it at all. I think the mindset is that Nintendo has only announced 1 moderately or above hype thing a week, and if the release of the Mario collection takes that spotlight, they think nothing else can. I don't get the mindset, but I also don't understand most of the negativity here in general, so there ya' go.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I'm feeling that, we might actually just get a Smash Direct, or a Mr. Sakurai Presents CP 7 shadow dropped sometime early next week (between Monday and Tuesday). They did it with the Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct, and with the Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity announcement.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
That's the thing too. If it wasn't for the pandemic, we would have likely learned about 7 and 8 on June 9th, 7 would have probably been a July release and 8 a September release. Yeah, waiting for Banjo wasn't bad because we had a definitive answer but right now we have nothing official to go off of aside from a billion and half signs going back to last summer that 7 is more than likely Geno.
Hopefully those signs are true.

And hopefully its not a repeat of character 5 where it was radio silence for months, random announcement out of no where and then a reveal that wasn't......really hype.....

Would be nice to know if Min Min was delayed because of work being impacted, Nintendo's marketing team being difficult and or dumb, or Min Min legitimately wasn't ready on the original planned date. Even with the three month push, she still had a pretty glaring and easily achieved glitch that needed a separate patch for it. You'd think that would have been caught if she was coming in March, or that things were so tight and they had no time even with the delay. Or maybe it she was done but Nintendo withheld her and wouldn't allow further work as they wanted to release her at their leisure at a drop of a hat.

But the way they didn't even say who it was in March. Why the tease? Granted, this could just be marketing being their stup-, UNIQUE selves. Nothing about character 5 or 6 made sense.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Not to derail the thread away from Geno, but Koei Tecmo not getting their hands in Smash is a huge missed opportunity despite being so close with Nintendo with the Warriors games and the potential Ninja Gaiden Sigma ports coming next year.

Hayabusa would most definitely have a shot even as soon as the 9th fighter given that Hayabusa could bring in a bunch of content much like Terry.
Koei Tecmo is more than DOA and Ninja Gaiden, there's the old Tecmo sports games and the Warriors series. There's a bunch the Smash team can pull for spirits and music. Even Hayabusa's stage could feature cameos from DOA and Dynasty Warriors characters.

Now getting back on topic to Geno, I feel like there's something we've overlooked when it comes to why we think Geno is getting in as soon as the next fighter.

Geno's Mii costume had the best chance to come back (alongside the Chocobo) with Hero, but it never did. And out of the other missing third party Mii outfits, Lloyd Irving and the Monster Hunter are up there in terms of their chances of becoming full-fledged fighters. If Geno does get promoted to playable character, there's a chance that the other Missing 3rd Party Mii costumes that aren't directly tied to Square Enix could come in his Mii costume wave due to a loose Adventure / RPG genre connection.

To put it simply, Geno's inclusion is the next big thing to direct future Smash speculation for the rest of Ultimate's DLC cycle and that we should all watch it very closely when it happens.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Hopefully those signs are true.

And hopefully its not a repeat of character 5 where it was radio silence for months, random announcement out of no where and then a reveal that wasn't......really hype.....

Would be nice to know if Min Min was delayed because of work being impacted, Nintendo's marketing team being difficult and or dumb, or Min Min legitimately wasn't ready on the original planned date. Even with the three month push, she still had a pretty glaring and easily achieved glitch that needed a separate patch for it. You'd think that would have been caught if she was coming in March, or that things were so tight and they had no time even with the delay. Or maybe it she was done but Nintendo withheld her and wouldn't allow further work as they wanted to release her at their leisure at a drop of a hat.

But the way they didn't even say who it was in March. Why the tease? Granted, this could just be marketing being their stup-, UNIQUE selves. Nothing about character 5 or 6 made sense.
I’ve said this before but they’ve basically killed the Smash hype train. The transition from
Base game hype to FP1 hype was seamless; it was almost two whole years of hype. But then they’ve just refused to say anything about FP2 besides Min-Min. It’s ridiculous.

They said they weren’t that effected by COVID. If they actually were then they should say it so we can be more understanding.

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
I don't really think Min Min was delayed in any way tbh from what I've heard. I just think the problem has been the spacing of FP2 going into next December and lofty expectations.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
seems like they still have some mario announcements even after the direct. mario Barbie cloths are apparently happening. makes me wonder what else (or who else) they may have left out

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
I don't really think Min Min was delayed in any way tbh from what I've heard. I just think the problem has been the spacing of FP2 going into next December and lofty expectations.
If not, then its a pretty odd decision to backload the release of FP2 to the last 15 months of the window for 5 fighters and have only 1 fighter in the first 6+ months.

But this has been a year of odd decisions.

Firox

Smash Master
I’ve said this before but they’ve basically killed the Smash hype train. The transition from
Base game hype to FP1 hype was seamless; it was almost two whole years of hype. But then they’ve just refused to say anything about FP2 besides Min-Min. It’s ridiculous.

They said they weren’t that effected by COVID. If they actually were then they should say it so we can be more understanding.
Absolutely agree. COVID or not, there's really no excuse for this radio silence BS they've left us with. I would have preferred they have an E3 presentation with all pushed back dates or something then just complete informational vacuum. At this point, I think only the most staunch smash fans even care about FP2. The casuals have mostly moved on and will probably spend all of 5 seconds being amazed at the reveals no matter what they are. It's sad considering that this pass will likely be even more hype than the last considering that it's bigger and (hopefully) have even more fan service.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I mean... if Koei Tecmo wants to be cool and release Dead or Alive Dimensions on Switch and then just add Hayabusa to Smash as a tie-in to that, that'd be great. Then Smash could add like, some obnoxious story about how DOATEC wants to engineer the perfect fighter and captured Mewtwo, a character already genetically engineered to be the perfect fighter so they could make a Phase 4/Alpha-152 version of Mewtwo, and the only thing that can stop them are Ryu Hayabusa, the DOA girls, Geno the doll, and Incineroar the pro wrestling tiger. It'd be truly insane.

It's also probably not gonna happen :(

I don't think the ninja man is coming. Nor the ninja girls (or any of the other DOA girls, cool as that would be). I feel like there's something to that whole "Koei Tecmo won't work with Capcom" thing, and I know people wanna talk all Fire Emblem: Three Little Pigs, but Fire Emblem is a Nintendo property, Nintendo can do what they want with that. Warriors/Musou isn't, so no Hyrule Warriors music or whatever in Smash, no Hayabusa either. Would LOVE for that to change.

What I'd ALSO love if next week could be Smash week: Last week was Mario Anniversary, this week was Hyrule Warriors: Legend of Calamity Jane the forgotten cartoon with the gray skinned girl... next week Smash maybe?

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I mean... if Koei Tecmo wants to be cool and release Dead or Alive Dimensions on Switch and then just add Hayabusa to Smash as a tie-in to that, that'd be great. Then Smash could add like, some obnoxious story about how DOATEC wants to engineer the perfect fighter and captured Mewtwo, a character already genetically engineered to be the perfect fighter so they could make a Phase 4/Alpha-152 version of Mewtwo, and the only thing that can stop them are Ryu Hayabusa, the DOA girls, Geno the doll, and Incineroar the pro wrestling tiger. It'd be truly insane.

It's also probably not gonna happen :(

I don't think the ninja man is coming. Nor the ninja girls (or any of the other DOA girls, cool as that would be). I feel like there's something to that whole "Koei Tecmo won't work with Capcom" thing, and I know people wanna talk all Fire Emblem: Three Little Pigs, but Fire Emblem is a Nintendo property, Nintendo can do what they want with that. Warriors/Musou isn't, so no Hyrule Warriors music or whatever in Smash, no Hayabusa either. Would LOVE for that to change.

What I'd ALSO love if next week could be Smash week: Last week was Mario Anniversary, this week was Hyrule Warriors: Legend of Calamity Jane the forgotten cartoon with the gray skinned girl... next week Smash maybe?
I'm personally still rooting for a Mini Direct that is Smash themed, similar to the Mario one. A little bit of information or roadmap on the upcoming months would be cool. Even if it's just a 5 minute segment tucked into a Sakurai presents video. Something has to be coming some time soon-ish, right? Right? XD

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Koei Tecmo technically already has content in Smash: Yuri Kozukata from the Fatal Frame series is in Smash Ultimate as an Assist Trophy.

Besides, I don't think Koei Tecmo's beef with Capcom is gonna prevent them from having a playable character in Smash. SNK isn't exactly on the best terms with Capcom either (mainly due to SNK being forced to work on a crossover game with Capcom when they weren't exactly in the best financial position to do so), but that didn't stop Terry from being included as playable.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
As much as I'd love Ryu in Smash, I'm firmly in the camp that the Ryu for Smash rumors were simply a case of pure coincidence. Rumors came out that Ryu is set to appear in a crossover game that everyone assumes is Smash, and it turns out he's coming to Warriors Orochi 4, whose subtitle is "Ultimate".

How does a collection of ports affect any chance of Smash news at all
It doesn't, but Smash fans keep believing that they do because they erroneously equate a character's overall relevancy to their chances of joining Smash despite prior precedent: The only times to my knowledge that characters have been included either to promote a new game, or advertise a game in general, is with most Pokemon characters, most Fire Emblem characters, and Isabelle.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
As much as I'd love Ryu in Smash, I'm firmly in the camp that the Ryu for Smash rumors were simply a case of pure coincidence. Rumors came out that Ryu is set to appear in a crossover game that everyone assumes is Smash, and it turns out he's coming to Warriors Orochi 4, whose subtitle is "Ultimate".

It doesn't, but Smash fans keep believing that they do because they erroneously equate a character's overall relevancy to their chances of joining Smash despite prior precedent: The only times to my knowledge that characters have been included either to promote a new game, or advertise a game in general, is with most Pokemon characters, most Fire Emblem characters, and Isabelle.
Yeah, mistakes do happen. Kinda like what I understood with the whole "Minecraft content" thing aka mistaking the Cubivore pig and "end_dragon" filename for Minecraft stuff (It was talked about more intelligently earlier by people more qualified to comment).

I'd believe that wires simply got crossed and Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate was what got confused. Kinda even takes me back those Katalina Granblue rumors of people thinking she was being negotiated for and it turned out there was some other Granblue fighting game or whatever that was ACTUALLY going on, the wires just got crossed, so for a while there every 4chan rumor was mentioning "Katalina from Granblue" for Smash, obviously piggybacking off the rumor.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Yeah, mistakes do happen. Kinda like what I understood with the whole "Minecraft content" thing aka mistaking the Cubivore pig and "end_dragon" filename for Minecraft stuff (It was talked about more intelligently earlier by people more qualified to comment).

I'd believe that wires simply got crossed and Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate was what got confused. Kinda even takes me back those Katalina Granblue rumors of people thinking she was being negotiated for and it turned out there was some other Granblue fighting game or whatever that was ACTUALLY going on, the wires just got crossed, so for a while there every 4chan rumor was mentioning "Katalina from Granblue" for Smash, obviously piggybacking off the rumor.
Plot twist, FP7 is Katalina from Granblue.

Kidding, hah. I also didn’t realize it was a file name that tripped people up with the Minecraft stuff. I remember people were quite confident of that earlier on in speculation.

I’m not sure exactly where I think Ryu falls in. I think one or two rumors snowballed into quite a bandwagon pick. Like... I’ve played a couple of the Ninja Gaiden games, I know that Koei Techmo still makes games, but like... I never thought Ryu Hayabusa was an intuitive pick. Though it’s a series similar to Castlevania so it was probably just me overlooking it.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Browsing through Nintendo's "Coming Soon" section on their official website and remembered that there are quite a few titles that have gone missing in terms of updates (i.e. information regarding an official release date is still M.I.A.). Going off from a few notable titles we have:
  • Bayonetta 3
  • DOOM Eternal
  • Bravely Default II (some have been saying that after Suda 51's official announcement of NMH III's delay, BD II might be following suit)
  • Sports Story
  • Super Meat Boy Forever
  • Eastward (I need this game)
  • Hollow Knight: Silk Song
Apologies if I forgot some but, seriously, what happened to these games? Many devs have admitted that the ongoing pandemic has in fact delayed their projects, and it is entirely understandable. What continues to irk me is when devs or publishers go silent in regards to certain IPs, like as if they're hoping that fans might forget about it (i.e. huh, I could've sword there was a second Fighters Pass announced for Smash. Hmm).

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I think a lot of those coming soon titles are getting delayed sadly.

It sucks a ton, but it's inevitable given the pandemic.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Browsing through Nintendo's "Coming Soon" section on their official website and remembered that there are quite a few titles that have gone missing in terms of updates (i.e. information regarding an official release date is still M.I.A.). Going off from a few notable titles we have:
  • Bayonetta 3
  • DOOM Eternal
  • Bravely Default II (some have been saying that after Suda 51's official announcement of NMH III's delay, BD II might be following suit)
  • Sports Story
  • Super Meat Boy Forever
  • Eastward (I need this game)
  • Hollow Knight: Silk Song
Apologies if I forgot some but, seriously, what happened to these games? Many devs have admitted that the ongoing pandemic has in fact delayed their projects, and it is entirely understandable. What continues to irk me is when devs or publishers go silent in regards to certain IPs, like as if they're hoping that fans might forget about it (i.e. huh, I could've sword there was a second Fighters Pass announced for Smash. Hmm).

Well with Bayonetta 3

"Everything is fine, it really is I mean it. STOP ASKING! QUIT ASKING ABOUT BAYONETTA 3 IT'S FINE! It's going smoothly, it's FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!"

That's the... semi-official line anyway.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Exactly. Either way, people really, really need to stop assuming every new character or character with an upcoming game is therefore coming to Smash.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
With all of the talk in this thread about Nintendo announcing things and whatnot, I thought I'd show you something I found.

20200911_170140.jpg

20200911_170156.jpg

20200911_170221.jpg

20200911_170237.jpg

Personally speaking, aside from the amazing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate... 2018 was probably the lowest year for the Switch for me (not bad mind you, just the weakest). I'd argue this year is actually better than 2018 in terms of what we've gotten in 2020 overall. Then in terms of the best years, I'd say 2017 and 2019 were the peaks so far. Thoughts? I feel like this could make for some decent discussion.

(Credit to NantenJex from Source Gaming for making these images: https://twitter.com/MrNantendo/status/1304526156000043010?s=19)

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
With all of the talk in this thread about Nintendo announcing things and whatnot, I thought I'd show you something I found.

View attachment 285300
View attachment 285301
View attachment 285302
View attachment 285303

Personally speaking, aside from the amazing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate... 2018 was probably the lowest year for the Switch for me. I'd argue this year is actually better in terms of what we've gotten overall. Then in terms of the best years, I'd say 2017 and 2019 were the peaks so far. Thoughts? I feel like this could make for some decent discussion.

(Credit to NantenJex from Source Gaming for making these images: https://twitter.com/MrNantendo/status/1304526156000043010?s=19)
Some of the ones listed as new games are basically ports for 2020. Remakes. Mystery dungeon was kinda low effort just reusing most assets

Noipoi

Howdy!

View attachment 285300
View attachment 285301
View attachment 285302
View attachment 285303

Personally speaking, aside from the amazing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate... 2018 was probably the lowest year for the Switch for me. I'd argue this year is actually better in terms of what we've gotten overall. Then in terms of the best years, I'd say 2017 and 2019 were the peaks so far. Thoughts? I feel like this could make for some decent discussion.

I will always cherish late 2017. That’s when I first got my switch, all I had was BOTW and Splatoon 2 and that’s all I needed. Then Mario Odyssey came out, good lord was that a fun holiday.

2018 was the worst year of my life (for personal reasons that have no place in this thread). Smash was incredible but I didn’t buy many switch games outside of that.

2019 was another great year for my switch. Mario Maker 2, Three Houses, Luigi’s Mansion 3. Don’t get me started on Banjo reveal and the Sans costume. I probably had the most fun with Pokémon Sword. I know I know, the game sucks. I’m not denying it’s flaws, I think it’s lackluster overall. But I went in partly blind, and as a Pokémon superfan discovering all the new Pokémon as I played was some of the most fun I’ve had in years.

2020 had animal crossing which was fun for a while, and Paper Mario which was decently enjoyable. I’m looking forward to the Mario collection, Crown Tundra, Pikmin and Hyrule Warriors but I’d definitely say this year was a weaker one for me. At least I discovered one of my new favorite series in Donkey Kong this year.

Seems I have more fun in odd numbered years. Hope that bodes well for 2021?

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So nothing was tweeted today from Nintendo? Ironic as we were hoping for Smash news and instead nobody got anything. It's like that strict teacher who punishes the class for one student.

'Oh, Smash student was acting up? Fine, ALL of you have detention!'

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, there's always next week if we see nothing in the next three hours or so. I refuse to believe FP7 won't be a September release

Evanosha

Smash Rookie
Was there even evidence for an announcement today? I thought it would be Tuesday like what they did with Byleth

Last edited:

Evanosha

Smash Rookie
I get that. Seriously though... I know this year has been ass but when we figured out that 7 would be a September release 4 MONTHS ago, who among us thought that Nintendo was going to blue ball us to almost quite literally the last minute? Of ****in' course 7 is the character the gets delayed more than 3 months because of a once in a century pandemic; it's just our luck as a fanbase.
Thing is, Sakurai did say that everything was going smoothly despite COVID. So either they are REALLY taking their sweet time or he was completely BSing when he said that.

EDIT: Sorry, double post

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Thing is, Sakurai did say that everything was going smoothly despite COVID. So either they are REALLY taking their sweet time or he was completely BSing when he said that.

EDIT: Sorry, double post
Or Sakurai was telling the truth and Nintendo of Japan's marketing team is just that incomprehensibly stupid

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
It’s one thing to surprise the fans, but if it were me. I would’ve just put a list out of who the DLC pass was going to be. I mean it’s nice to dream, but this is torture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom