• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I personally think if level 5 was to get a rep in smash it would be Professor Layton. He’s been huge for them and his series Is probably their most famous series out their. It’s more successful in terms of reviews and there’s already quite a lot of demand for him.

Plus his series is what Made level 5 more popular. Without his series they’d be less known. Even if it’s not Layton though I still think a level 5 rep is inevitable

You're not wrong, but my gut tells me there is more mass appeal from a DLC character from Yokai Watch. Layton is popular, but he's definitely way more niche with the general public.

Last edited:

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
I am having a real hard time going along with this talk about something dire happening at Nintendo regarding the Gigaleak, or something else unknown making its way through the company.

If the gigaleak, which if I recall correctly happened months (years?) ago and is just being very slowly released, had any really sinister overtones or intentions then authorities would have been involved pretty damn quick. At best, corporate espionage and sabotage are not taken lightly in any industrialized nation and if Nintendo brass were covering up something to appease the shareholders then that's fraud and another, much larger, no-no.

The simpler explanation, much like how Square famously "lost" the PSX Final Fantasy source codes and had to rebuild them from PC releases for digital release, is Nintendo didn't quite know how to best store older game dev data but still wanted the resource accessible should they ever need to use it. It probably wasn't the most secure items in their network, but still pretty secure as far as corporate assets go.

There would be investigations out the wazoo, either against Nintendo for misleading the shareholders or against anyone trying to damage Nintendo with the leak if anything sinister was going on. Given's Nintendo's famous skiddish-ness with releasing titles "when its done" over a deadline and Covid likely screwing things up, the prideful Japanese business environment likely just had a few big projects knocked off timeline with the disease coupled with some terrible marketing approach changes poorly timed to take effect before Covid hit.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
You're not wrong, but my gut tells me there is more mass appeal from a DLC character from Yokai Watch. Layton is popular, but he's definitely way more niche with the general public.

I think the problem is that Jibyanian is NOWHERE as popular as he was in Japan back in the mid 2010s. The frachise's popularity was mostly just a giant fad, not some next big mainstream icon, even they have moved on from Yokai Watch. I mean yeah, the series still exists, but it's now just kinda there. and Yokai Watch never got big or even moderatedly popular in the west (mostly due to the franchise reliying heavily on Japanese Mythology and folklore that the most western audiences simply will not understand) and seeing how long it took us to get JUST the Hero from Dragon Quest......yeah, not good for him.

His best chances were in the base roster of Ultimate, when Yokai Watch still had some popularity, but now that time has passed. Just as you said in the last page.

Compare that to Professor Layton, who is more well known worldwide (we get the more internationally recognizable FF before DQ, remember that) has seniority on his side (one of the reasons Jibanyan was not even considered for Smash 4 DLC was because he was just too new) is much more requested by the Smash community, etc, etc ,etc.

Yes, Layton is not exactly relevant anymore, but neither was Banjo, and he got in Smash before the main player character from the best selling game in the planet. We have gotten "niche" characters in Smash before, Mega Man over Resident Evil, Simon before PES or Power Pros, Banjo before Steve, Bayo before Arle and Kiryu, etc.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm going to make a radical proposal here and now, but I think Nintendo would be far better off if they either started licensing out their IPs to up game production so they could focus on pet projects (which seem to get their attention most of the time anyway) or they make a deal with the devil and start working with one of their competitors and/or merge with another large Japanese developer, like Namco. I think those are the only ways we can stop this cycle of droughts
I mean, we have Candice of Hyrule. And there is no way in hell that they are going Sega with how it goes financial. That would just be idiotic for them.
Just because they are silent now, it does not mean that they just have to "throw in the towel". Plus, they have tried to buy Namco before but ended up buying only Monolith Soth (which was a brilliant move by them concidering they have helpt Nintendo out with games like Pikmin 3, Legend of Zelda a link between worlds, Animal Crossing New Horizing, on top of Breath of the Wild and the Xenoblade games

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Layton's the biggest franchise for Level 5 worldwide, and I recall that Sakurai at one point even mentioned him for consideration (though some say he was joking about it.) That, and Layton's like Geno in that he might as well be considered a Nintendo character anyway given his games have all but been exclusive to Nintendo consoles

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I think if Level 5 got anything it would be Jibanyan and that's kind of the pessimist in me speaking. Level 5 could use Smash to bolster Yokai as it seems they are still doing things with the series as there was 4 and even a Yo Kai watch one remaster exclusive to Japan which is on sale for about 15 dollars if you use Japan Eshop. I always thought Jibanyan was more of a mascot to Level 5 too. It could be Layton but honestly this could be comparable to Terry and Nakurooru back when they had the SNK leak.

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
I know Level 5's brand is tied to Layton, but I always considered the point in where they "made it" as a developer was doing DQVIII and thus that's their real inclusion in Smash with the VIII Hero skin.

D

Deleted member

I have a friend who wants Jibanyan in Smash, and honestly I wouldn't care if he made it. I say that with a lot of characters, but if it were Jibanyan, I'd not only be happy for me friend, but also be like "That's pretty neat!"

Anyways, Geno. I have a question about Geno. If he has a moveset that's similar/nearly identical to his Legacy XP moveset, how good would he be? I can't see Geno as anything else but a decent/above average character. Having Geno in the game is one thing, but him being good is another. I know some people don't care about this but I'm just curious.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I have a friend who wants Jibanyan in Smash, and honestly I wouldn't care if he made it. I say that with a lot of characters, but if it were Jibanyan, I'd not only be happy for me friend, but also be like "That's pretty neat!"

Anyways, Geno. I have a question about Geno. If he has a moveset that's similar/nearly identical to his Legacy XP moveset, how good would he be? I can't see Geno as anything else but a decent/above average character. Having Geno in the game is one thing, but him being good is another. I know some people don't care about this but I'm just curious.
I imagine Sakurai and the team would make sure he's good. Sakurai made it clear he wanted Geno in the game like fans did back in his 2016 interview for Nintendo Dream

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

I think high mid or low high. I don´t think he will end up being on the "best of the best" even if I would love to be so.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad to see you being optimistic about the chance to see Level 5 ever make an appearance in Smash :')
I already feel like I lost all hope for Layton even though we still have 5 more characters lmao
(Also yes Layton is the better choice in every way, you can't tell me otherwise...)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I personally think if level 5 was to get a rep in smash it would be Professor Layton. He’s been huge for them and his series Is probably their most famous series out their. It’s more successful in terms of reviews and there’s already quite a lot of demand for him.

Plus his series is what Made level 5 more popular. Without his series they’d be less known. Even if it’s not Layton though I still think a level 5 rep is inevitable
If not Layton, than Jibanyan from Yo-Kai Watch would be the next obvious choice.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Guys, it was in front of us the whole time

Geno confirmed for Switch
So, Did SMRPG leaked the Switch 21 years before its release?. Ok this OMEGA HUGE because the Mario&Luigi Super Starsaga minigame in which Geno appeared was called "Stache SMASH", That game was launched on 2003, so
2003+21=2024, we are getting Switch 2 with Smash 6 and Geno will be in

QQS

Smash Lord
September is this Tuesday so just let’s hope for official news on new and old Nintendo games. Properly: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, DK, Kirby...and SMASH. It’s happening, don’t lose faith on Geno playable!

HanSoloIndie

Smash Cadet
September is this Tuesday so just let’s hope for official news on new and old Nintendo games. Properly: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, DK, Kirby...and SMASH. It’s happening, don’t lose faith on Geno playable!
Fully agreed upon. Something has to be happening before mid-September. On another note, how do you attach files from your computer/device onto Smashboards? I am only given the options to attach from a media url link. I am wanting to post a inspirational comic relating to Geno's arrival....

Reactions: QQS
D

Deleted member

I imagine Sakurai and the team would make sure he's good. Sakurai made it clear he wanted Geno in the game like fans did back in his 2016 interview for Nintendo Dream
Oh, of course I know aabout that interview. I just really hope Geno ends up good.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I have no real attachment to Jibanyan (so nothing really against him either) but even in terms of level 5 I would far prefer Professor Layton.

If we get any "monster catching mascot" I'd want it to be Agumon though. It feels fitting to me to have Digimon square up against Pokemon before Yokai Watch does.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'll mention here too that I think the Jeuxvideo leak is suspect. They would get the rights to Dante and Sora just to costume them? Instead, our playable fighters are from smaller franchises? And every character mentioned outside of the CP6 info is popular in speculation. Not a single wild card in sight, when we know Nintendo does those all the time, even if just for the Mii costumes. Additionally, it's unlikely that someone know the next three characters so far in advance.

I feel like the leaker knew CP6 info, leaked it, and went on to make it seem like some of the biggest characters in speculation will get costumed. Only to then state that we'll get the characters they, presumably, like. Especially since there's a healthy amount of overlap between Phoenix and Layton fans, both series being popular on the DS and all.

QQS

Smash Lord
Fully agreed upon. Something has to be happening before mid-September. On another note, how do you attach files from your computer/device onto Smashboards? I am only given the options to attach from a media url link. I am wanting to post a inspirational comic relating to Geno's arrival....
i put the link in which a landscape appears, on the left to the smiley face, top right corner. Then upload it from computer or cellphone gallery ( English isn’t native, hope I explained good)

edit: put image

F55430A6-B602-4E38-9547-E2E3D65D050E.jpeg

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
"Layton should be the Level 5 rep because he represents a big step forward for the company and his games are on the Switch"
"Jibanyan should be the rep because another Pokemon-esque rep would be cool in Smash"

Why not both?
Oliver would be awesome actually. The moveset potential is immense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom