• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Nostradamus: "Something big is going to happen on the 15th of this month! Prepare yourselves!" (neighbor stubs his toe on the 15th)
(later that year)
Nostradamus: "Something menial and unimportant is going to happen at 5:32pm three days from now." (world is destroyed by giant meteor)

This is how the "insider" scene is feeling for me right now.
This whole week was odd, and one insider sounded like he was two completely different people.

Earlier in the week: 'Its a big exciting day with some big game news either coming or related to Aug 28th.'

Immediately right after the Partner on the 26th: 'Nope, this is it. There is nothing else. It was always a partner direct from the start.'

It feels like the time around Terry's reveal.
'No one knows who character 4 is. Insiders are all in the dark. We have zero clue, not even the company name.'
-Nintendo leaks the SNK name-
'Oh, its Terry. We've known for months.'

Powerman293

Smash Ace
This whole week was odd, and one insider sounded like he was two completely different people.

Earlier in the week: 'Its a big exciting day with some big game news either coming or related to Aug 28th.'

Immediately right after the Partner on the 26th: 'Nope, this is it. There is nothing else. It was always a partner direct from the start.'

'No one knows who character 4 is. Insiders are all in the dark. We have zero clue, not even the company name.'
Maybe it's like they're lying or something and don't actually know jack.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
...i don't think you understand how much different mario and paper mario are.
Personality wise. No,it's not.
Moveset wise, of course.
It better be different after 6 games.
I'm just annoyed because this is the third time this year when it has come to dates that I'm been peer pressured into going along with the REAL INSIDERS © and discard my own thinking and conclusions. These past two months have been some real Charlie Brown football **** when it comes to this stuff.

"Don't worry Fatman; the professionals are totally right on the Direct date this time. Last time was just a fluke; it will absolutely happen this time."

"Okay, just so that people aren't constantly on my back, I'll take their word for it... Hey, it looks like it might actually pan out this time! I'll finally be freed of this curse and... "

Remember when some people thought it would be september and people said it was" boring and/or pessimistic"

D

Deleted member

It feels reverse of that, honestly.
everyone bets big on the 20th of July
several notable insiders start posting big bucks about Geno and SMRPG
20th July ends up being dog ****
"T'WAS A JOKE. A JAPE. WE ARE JESTERS"

I'm still trying to figure out how these guys aren't in the deepest **** for that stunt regardless of them playing it off as a joke, unless it meant nothing to start with (aka they were wrong about Geno)

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976

I'm still trying to figure out how these guys aren't in the deepest **** for that stunt regardless of them playing it off as a joke, unless it meant nothing to start with (aka they were wrong about Geno)
Would you say they are... clowns?

Powerman293

Smash Ace

You can't ever question Insiders. Even when they get things wrong, they're still right. Do not question the cult.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Exactly. People are giving so much credence to the leakers because they're essentially seen as Robin Hood stealing from the rich to give to the poor. They're the only ones trying to feed the starving masses while the proverbial Price John just sits on his ass eating bon bons. COVID or not, Nintendo's lack of transparency is really inexcusable at this point. I would rather they tell us the newly pushed back release dates for stuff than just leave us sitting in the dark for a year.
Which gives me the idea that there is something far worse going on in Nintendo right now and it has nothing to do with the virus. Maybe that Gigaleak has more to it than what we saw. Its odd that so far all this stuff shown has been from 20+ year old games (which shouldn't be as easily accessible than current information if its archived) but nothing from recent games (that we know). And Nintendo is acting so silent and uninvolved as if everything they had was wiped out. And you're telling me that in the three years since Bayonetta 3 was announced that there is NOTHING to show for it, even just a character model?

Maybe that Gigaleak did far more damage internally to Nintendo than they want to admit. Maybe they were sabotaged. And again, Nintendo was acting this dismissive and uninterested BEFORE Covid picked up.

Firox

Smash Master
Which gives me the idea that there is something far worse going on in Nintendo right now and it has nothing to do with the virus. Maybe that Gigaleak has more to it than what we saw. Its odd that so far all this stuff shown has been from 20+ year old games (which shouldn't be as easily accessible than current information if its archived) but nothing from recent games (that we know). And Nintendo is acting so silent and uninvolved as if everything they had was wiped out. And you're telling me that in the three years since Bayonetta 3 was announced that there is NOTHING to show for it, even just a character model?

Maybe that Gigaleak did far more damage internally to Nintendo than they want to admit. Maybe they were sabotaged. And again, Nintendo was acting this dismissive and uninterested BEFORE Covid picked up.
Holy crap, maybe you're on to something! Could you imagine how catastrophic it would be if someone hacked their servers and deleted everything? It really does make you wonder if they're being negligent or if there's something far bigger at play and they just don't want to scare the hell out of their investors.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, to appear smarter than I actually am, here's what I think happened:

-Covid-19 gets serious in March. It's an OH **** moment for the whole world.

-In a panic, Nintendo dynamites the Spring Direct and its chunky remains fly all over the place and fall in seemingly random places over the course of 5 months (I think I just felt my stomach roll...)

-This upcoming Direct is probably what would have been the E3 Direct almost 3 months ago.

-The Fall Direct is either probably the Spring 2021 Direct now or has also been dynamited and its guts will be spread out from September to probably February at the earliest.

MattX20

Smash Hero

-In a panic, Nintendo dynamites the Spring Direct and its chunky remains fly all over the place and fall in seemingly random places over the course of 5 months (I think I just felt my stomach roll...)

-This upcoming Direct is probably what would have been the E3 Direct almost 3 months ago.

-The Fall Direct is either probably the Spring 2021 Direct now or has also been dynamited and its guts will be spread out from September to probably February at the earliest.
Either way, it seems like for the foreseeable future, we'll have to keep our eyes peeled for Sakurai Presents videos

D

Deleted member

Would you say they are... clowns?
You can't ever question Insiders. Even when they get things wrong, they're still right. Do not question the cult.
As someone who normally questions the cult and calls these people clowns all the time, for once in my career I hope they were dead right about Geno and dead wrong about the direct (and thusly dead to Nintendo ninjas in the near future)

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Even with the lack of information and all, I'm still expecting FP7 to be announced soon and released in September or October. And then FP8 to be announced shortly after and maybe released 2020, but completely feasibly Q1. I could absolutely see FP7 to be Q4 2020, then FP8-11 be Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4 2021. Which is fine, new content every 3 months isn't so bad.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

I think it's a better idea at this point to throw out the idea of a general direct altogether. Couple reasons.
  • They flat out confirmed they are doing more Partner Direct this year yesterday. Frustratingly, when they implied that last time I said it ruled out a direct for the rest of the year, but still expected something akin to a general this week. Not making that mistake again.
  • Let's be real here, there is no mystery big 2020 game at this point. It's Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Smash/Pokemon DLC, and probably Mario 3D Allstars. That's it. They're skipping out on a September release for christ sake. They revealed Pikmin 3 earlier this month not only because they needed SOMETHING before the Fiscal Breifing, but also because it's literally the closest game on their schedule. At the end of October. They still clearly aren't comfortable revealing long-term plans at the moment.
  • They don't need to. Animal Crossing has carried the ENTIRE year for them. Hardware is still having shortages, and both Next-Gen consoles are stuck in this limbo state where neither wants to admit the price since they're obviously both extremely expensive and launching machines like this during a economic downturn sounds like a recipe for a launch disaster. (especially for Xbox, there is just literally no reason to get one at this point and they were ALREADY the underdog) All Nintendo has to do to win a Holiday season is run on being the cheaper platform with an amazing library of exclusive games, maybe announce some new bundles/price drops, and I think they will win this year. By ALOT. Then, once the new consoles start picking up steam next year, you really start dropping your bigger games and a new hardware revision to keep up with performance, particularly with third parties. Nintendo is in a really good spot here financially.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Didn't Jon from GameXplain and a few other leakers predicted or claimed we wouldn't be getting another any big Nintendo news until January? I would go insane if we have to wait that long.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Didn't Jon from GameXplain and a few other leakers predicted or claimed we wouldn't be getting another any big Nintendo news until January? I would go insane if we have to wait that long.
No? Pretty sure January is just a meme. (I don't doubt waiting for a real DIRECT until then, but announcements will come)

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I think it's a better idea at this point to throw out the idea of a general direct altogether. Couple reasons.
  • They flat out confirmed they are doing more Partner Direct this year yesterday. Frustratingly, when they implied that last time I said it ruled out a direct for the rest of the year, but still expected something akin to a general this week. Not making that mistake again.
  • Let's be real here, there is no mystery big 2020 game at this point. It's Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Smash/Pokemon DLC, and probably Mario 3D Allstars. That's it. They're skipping out on a September release for christ sake. They revealed Pikmin 3 earlier this month not only because they needed SOMETHING before the Fiscal Breifing, but also because it's literally the closest game on their schedule. At the end of October. They still clearly aren't comfortable revealing long-term plans at the moment.
  • They don't need to. Animal Crossing has carried the ENTIRE year for them. Hardware is still having shortages, and both Next-Gen consoles are stuck in this limbo state where neither wants to admit the price since they're obviously both extremely expensive and launching machines like this during a economic downturn sounds like a recipe for a launch disaster. (especially for Xbox, there is just literally no reason to get one at this point and they were ALREADY the underdog) All Nintendo has to do to win a Holiday season is run on being the cheaper platform with an amazing library of exclusive games, maybe announce some new bundles/price drops, and I think they will win this year. By ALOT. Then, once the new consoles start picking up steam next year, you really start dropping your bigger games and a new hardware revision to keep up with performance, particularly with third parties. Nintendo is in a really good spot here financially.
This is a great take and I agree. Don't why people are still thinking nintendo is going to throw together a presentation. lol no

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
No? Pretty sure January is just a meme. (I don't doubt waiting for a real DIRECT until then, but announcements will come)
Well, I could have swearn that Jon made that prediction. Jon's predictions annoy me sometimes as half of the time the dude makes a negative prediction it comes true.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Well, I could have swearn that Jon made that prediction. Jon's predictions annoy me sometimes as half of the time the dude makes a negative prediction it comes true.
I mean like I said, I'm still expecting a wait until atleast November, maybe even January, for a real direct. Why would Jon even know about a lack of directs until January? (Besides, if we are listening to Gamexplain 3D Mario Allstars is real and out this year anyway.)

Last edited:

Dekunk

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5452-6360-1438
The rest of the year I feel like will probably be like this

September - November:
Super Mario 3D All-Stars Youtube / Twitter announcement
Sakurai Presents: Challenger Pack 7
Partner Direct(s)
Pokémon Presents

December:
Nada. Maybe a Partner Direct.

January:
Mini Direct? Game drop? I don’t know.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The rest of the year I feel like will probably be like this

September - November:
Super Mario 3D All-Stars Youtube / Twitter announcement
Sakurai Presents: Challenger Pack 7
Partner Direct(s)
Pokémon Presents

December:
Nada. Maybe a Partner Direct.

January:
Mini Direct? Game drop? I don’t know.
I swear, these Partner Directs be coming out in a year like a 12 pack.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Ugh, I don't think I have the patience to wait all the way to November just for DLC news. Even Dragon Ball FighterZ just recently revealed Roshi for a September release

Noipoi

Howdy!
By the end of 2021 I’ll probably be playing BOTW2, Donkey Kong Country: Kremling Komeback, and reliving my childhood in Pokemon Temporal Diamond and Spatial Pearl before turning on Smash to play a couple matches as Geno or Crash. And I’ll be thinking, “man, Nintendo rocked this year”.

Just gotta get through the now so I can enjoy the later.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wanted Paper Mario back in Brawl, but that was before the series changed the way it did. I may be enjoying Origami King, but it's not the Paper Mario that I'd want to see represented in Smash, and I feel that it (and the newer Paper Mario games in general) would be if he got in. At this point, though, even if I was offered TTYD Mario in Smash, I'd still pick Geno over him. Both games are very important to me, but this is Geno's time.
I would recommend checking out Bug Fables as it's a Paper Mario clone that plays very similarly to the first two Paper Mario games. I just started playing on Monday and I'm already at the 3rd chapter. I'm really enjoying it as it truly feels like a sequel to Thousand Year Door whether than a spiritual successor.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I disagree.

-I don't think the E3 announcements disappeared into the ether. There's a mountain of evidence that Mario 35th and Zelda 35th were likely going to be key takeaways of E3 at the very least so there's all that. Pikmin 3 Deluxe was supposed to be a spring release and then got pushed back to October. There's a lot out that shows that stuff got pushed back 4-5 months, not totally nuked.

-You've said it yourself; it's pretty much too late at this point to announce big holiday games. Those games have probably been pushed to spring and summer 2021 but there's no reason they can't announce them.

-Partner Showcases will continue to be a thing but it's pretty clear they aren't replacements for Directs. Like I said yesterday, it's mostly been stuff that's already been announced or stuff that's super niche. I think this will simply be Nintendo's approach for these types of games from now on.

-I know things suck right now but if Nintendo can't manage to put out a single decent presentation by January, I think they have bigger problems on their hands. Cash is pouring in but patience is running thin and Nintendo has way too many examples of years where the fanbase got burned out on waiting and simply moved somewhere else.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
guys this is just another wii u port, they are moving all the games to the switch from it, now they are just porting the waiting game, it was one of the wii u's biggest titles after all

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I disagree.

-I don't think the E3 announcements disappeared into the ether. There's a mountain of evidence that Mario 35th and Zelda 35th were likely going to be key takeaways of E3 at the very least so there's all that. Pikmin 3 Deluxe was supposed to be a spring release and then got pushed back to October. There's a lot out that shows that stuff got pushed back 4-5 months, not totally nuked.

-You've said it yourself; it's pretty much too late at this point to announce big holiday games. Those games have probably been pushed to spring and summer 2021 but there's no reason they can't announce them.

-Partner Showcases will continue to be a thing but it's pretty clear they aren't replacements for Directs. Like I said yesterday, it's mostly been stuff that's already been announced or stuff that's super niche. I think this will simply be Nintendo's approach for these types of games from now on.

-I know things suck right now but if Nintendo can't manage to put out a single decent presentation by January, I think they have bigger problems on their hands. Cash is pouring in but patience is running thin and Nintendo has way too many examples of years where the fanbase got burned out on waiting and simply moved somewhere else.
At this point, I wonder how many rumored game is in the "Star Fox racing category" so to speak

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I wasn't a fan of the skimpy first Partner Showcase (though SMT fans I'm sure are happy), but I sorta liked this last one. Decent amount of games, and if Sega (Puyo Puyo Tetris 2), Square (Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory), and Namco (Taiko RPGs) are considered partners, we could be getting some good announcements in following months. I imagine that Nintendo exclusive 3rd party announcements will be reserved for other Directs or Twitter announcements, and that's fine, but I was pretty happy with yesterday's presentation overall, for what it was.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
There are way more posts here than I thought and I just wanted to respond to a couple in general before I get to the rest. I think John from game explained did say he didn't expect anything from Nintendo really for the rest of the year. And that man has been somewhat prophetic. It's kind of a conspiracy theory that he has connections, but he may be honest something. That's all

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, if Nintendo doesn't deliver any new info for a while regarding FP7, I at least have some other games to keep me occupied for now. The Samurai Jack game Battle Through Time is pretty decent so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom