• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
tumblr_o6o2jg3fh81swrra1o1_1462388956_cover.jpg

I dunno, guys. I just want peace of mind at this point. At least with Ron Paul it's implied whatever the "main event" is will be Thursday at the latest but not knowing exactly what it's supposed to be kind of kills me.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
if Krool couldn't even get a gangplank galleon stage I don't think it's all that strange to see waluigi bring only himself. besides a trove of content from his own game geno could even be stretched to be the "mario rpg's" rep if they wanted to and bring in all the missing PM and M+L stuff.

Cuzeba123

Smash Apprentice
Not DK. The DK rumor is that it's internally developed and going to be the first true first party DK since Jungle Beat. The 4 indie games are supposedly 3 NES classic revivals (one potentially being Balloon Fight and another you all wouldn't believe me if I said it but that's all I know) and one being one of the 3 dead franchises I've been teasing forever (also, yes, Golden Sun is one of them and I say this to have Naz's back because he's had mine in the past).
That makes me happy and sad at the same time, because I really want a new DK but I loved DKCR and DKCTF so imo Retro should be the way to go with any new DK.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I want both Geno and Waluigi. Ideally both with their own stages, but if I only had one stage to give I'd definitely give it to Geno, just because I want to see his unique version of the Mushroom Kingdom again.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I think both Geno and Waluigi are deserving of a spot in Ultimate, but like some others have said, I feel that Geno’s pass would bring more to the game than Waluigi. The music from SMRPG and a stage outside of the Mushroom Kingdom would be to me better overall, but I would understand if they went with Waluigi. I think both have a very real chance, even getting in together, so I don’t really think it’s a competition either. Hopefully we’ll see one or both of them in the upcoming weeks.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Not DK. The DK rumor is that it's internally developed and going to be the first true first party DK since Jungle Beat. The 4 indie games are supposedly 3 NES classic revivals (one potentially being Balloon Fight and another you all wouldn't believe me if I said it but that's all I know) and one being one of the 3 dead franchises I've been teasing forever (also, yes, Golden Sun is one of them and I say this to have Naz's back because he's had mine in the past).
So if I'm picking up what you're putting down, we're getting 6 revivals in total, 3 of them are NES era franchises while 3 of them are more modern franchises? I also take it this isn't counting the Famicom Detective Club remakes?

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Nothing on 11th and 12th, Mountain Day and Obon take up the other slots, so I'm thinking the Indie Direct is on the week of the 17th and perhaps the "main event" could be on that same week.
Although no reason why they can't put up a ****ing Indie Direct on bloody Mountain Day, but still don't see it for next week.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I feel Waluigi would be saved for the base roster of the next Smash game like K Rool & Ridley were. He’d be the easiest way to get attention for that game especially if they do have to cut a lot of characters.

If we get another Mario character in Ultimate then it’s absolutely Geno.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I feel Waluigi would be saved for the base roster of the next Smash game like K Rool & Ridley were. He’d be the easiest way to get attention for that game especially if they do have to cut a lot of characters.

Yeah, I can´t see them double-dip on a franchise in this pass even with "35 anniversary" in mind. And if they are doing so, I suppose we can expect two Zelda reps.....

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

Besides, their would be FAR more content in a Geno Challenger Pack then a Waluigi pack. SMRPG has zero representation in Smash besides a measly two Spirits, and they could totally bring new content from that game. Their is just so much potential for stages, music and Spirits as most of the locations, music and characters are original and unique to Mario.

As a Waluigi supporter, even I struggle with what Waluigi could bring for a Challenger Pack. I guess Waluigi Pinball makes sense as his stage, but would they really make a Waluigi-themed stage as the second brand new Mario stage in Ultimate? Besides, Waluigi Pinball already has a remix in Smash so I see no reason why Sakurai would want that as a stage. As for music, they could bring music from Mario Sports games, but I don't see how any of the music they could bring to Smash would relate at all to Waluigi. As for Spirits, they could have the OC's from the Mario Tennis and Golf games, but what could they do for these Spirit battles to make them different? And again, how would they relate to Waluigi?

That is why I feel Geno is far more appropriate for a Challenger Pack. Their is so much potential to be had with an SMRPG-themed pack that its honestly absurd. As for Waluigi, while their are some ideas, I feel like none of them would relate to his character at all and would just be filled with randomness, and I don't think Sakurai really wants to do that with these Packs

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So if I'm picking up what you're putting down, we're getting 6 revivals in total, 3 of them are NES era franchises while 3 of them are more modern franchises? I also take it this isn't counting the Famicom Detective Club remakes?
Right. The 6 I'm talking about here have been pretty well guarded (of the NES classics, my source implies he only knows one for sure and makes a strong guess that Balloon Fight is another; the third is a mystery but supposedly not a Japanese exclusive or something that ever got a sequel) but it's not an exhaustive list of franchises rumored to be getting revivals soon. Other insiders have openly talked about revivals of:

-DK

-F-Zero (or at least some racing game that may not be Mario Kart)

-Wario Land

-Tomodachi Life

-Nintendo/Advance Wars (often comes up but nothing has come my way on it)

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Yeah Waluigi really struggles to consist of a coherent challenger pack for which is something every character from.a previous series has done which has already been represented this far. Persona, DQ and BK all had no presence in the game while Three Houses only brought along content from there and ARMS is a little harder to judge by. Granted 2 isn't much (Byleth, Corrin, excluding plant for obvious reasons) but it's something that makes sense to comply to if you think about it.

Ironically enough, Waluigi's Taco Stand would really help out here.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Right. The 6 I'm talking about here have been pretty well guarded (of the NES classics, my source implies he only knows one for sure and makes a strong guess that Balloon Fight is another; the third is a mystery but supposedly not a Japanese exclusive or something that ever got a sequel) but it's not an exhaustive list of franchises rumored to be getting revivals soon. Other insiders have openly talked about revivals of:

-DK

-F-Zero (or at least some racing game that may not be Mario Kart)

-Wario Land

-Tomodachi Life

-Nintendo/Advance Wars (often comes up but nothing has come my way on it)
Imagine if, after all this time, Star Fox Grand Prix ends up being real

It won’t but, like, imagine

TX-55

Smash Journeyman

Yeaaaah, I'm not sure about that.
I don't think Waluigi's addition alone in a hypothetical Smash 6 would compensate for a number of cut fan favorites like most of the 3rd parties.

And besides, Smash 6 isn't coming any time soon, Waluigi was moderately wanted for Brawl and Smash 4, then he became one of the most wanted (if not the most) for Ultimate.
If they can include something that's base-game tier like Small Battlefield as a bonus this late into Ultimate's life, I don't see way they can't do characters, particularly in this case Waluigi.
They should capitalize on this phenomenon instead of wasting it on a sequel where it's expected to see heavy cuts.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Yeaaaah, I'm not sure about that.
I don't think Waluigi's addition alone in a hypothetical Smash 6 would compensate for a number of cut fan favorites like most of the 3rd parties.

And besides, Smash 6 isn't coming any time soon, Waluigi was moderately wanted for Brawl and Smash 4, then he became one of the most wanted (if not the most) for Ultimate.
If they can include something that's base-game tier like Small Battlefield as a bonus this late into Ultimate's life, I don't see way they can't do characters, particularly in this case Waluigi.
They should capitalize on this phenomenon instead of wasting it on a sequel where it's expected to see heavy cuts.
Because this game is "Ultimate" I feel like the game would be 1000x more epic if Waluigi somehow snuck in last minute.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Decided to look into it and Indie Directs mostly fall on Tuesdays, especially if they're for multiple regions. Nintendo, while doing them since 2017, has only really been consistent with multi-region Indie Directs since about last year. This said, Tuesday wins out but Wednesday isn't too terribly behind.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Decided to look into it and Indie Directs mostly fall on Tuesdays, especially if they're for multiple regions. Nintendo, while doing them since 2017, has only really been consistent with multi-region Indie Directs since about last year. This said, Tuesday wins out but Wednesday isn't too terribly behind.
As I recall, general directs tend to follow them usually no more than a week or two after

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So what are y'all's predictions for Smash 6? I know we won't be seeing it until almost a decade from now but still. Here are my predictions:

- Half of the roster will be cut unfortunately.

- Base game newcomers:

Bandana Dee
Ashley
Dixie Kong (If she isn't in Ultimate)
Waluigi (If he isn't in Ultimate)
Isaac
Rhythm Heaven rep
New character from the latest Xenoblade game
New character from the latest Fire Emblem game
New Pokemon from the latest Generation
Tom Nook
Bomberman
Arms 3 rep (Because let's be honest, the next Smash is so far away Arms 3 will be a thing before Smash 6.)
Lip (Retro rep)
Funky Kong (DK Echo)
Shadow (Sonic Echo)
Dry Bowser (Bowser Echo)

DLC newcomers:

Ryu Hayabusa
Spyro
Another Fire Emblem newcomer
Insert fan favorite veteran here
Sora
Crono
Goemon
Conker or Joanna Dark

And that's all I got.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Current predictions are:
FP 7: Geno (Release date September)
FP8: Dante (December)
FP9: Rex and Pyra (March 2021)
FP 10: Lloyd/Yuri/Alphen (basically any Tales character) (July 2021)
FP 11: Crash/Sora/Pokemon/insert 1st party promotion here (September 2021)

Also I feel as though we'll end up getting the indie/filler stop around the 18th and then the actual direct around the 26th.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So what are y'all's predictions for Smash 6? I know we won't be seeing it until almost a decade from now but still. Here are my predictions:

- Base game newcomers:

Bandana Dee
Ashley
Isaac
Rhythm Heaven rep
Tom Nook
Bomberman
Arms 3 rep (Because let's be honest, the next Smash is so far away Arms 3 will be a thing before Smash 6.)
Lip (Retro rep)
Funky Kong (DK Echo)
Shadow (Sonic Echo)
Dry Bowser (Bowser Echo)

DLC newcomers:

Ryu Hayabusa
Spyro
Sora
Crono
Goemon
Conker or Joanna Dark

And that's all I got.
Personally, I'm not willing to do speculation on Smash 6. We've still got 5 more fighters left to go and I'm going to take a good break from speculation after a while when that's done

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to predict Smash 6 when it's already difficult to know what kind of Smash game this is gonna be.

Is this gonna be a full reboot with like only 15-20 characters? Are we gonna scale back to a Smash 4 situation with 55 or so characters? If so how drastic will the cuts be and will the amount of newcomers be closer to Brawl/Smash 4 or closer to base game Ultimate?

With that said I think Waluigi is prob among the most likely for the next game. It'd be an easy way to heal the wounds of all the cuts that would happen. I also think Isaac is possible if Golden Sun actually gets a revival on Switch and he doesn't make it into Ultimate DLC.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Personally, I'm not willing to do speculation on Smash 6. We've still got 5 more fighters left to go and I'm going to take a good break from speculation after a while when that's done
I don't know if I will have it in me to go another round as Ultimate will probably be my last rodeo. But I'm just giving in my 2 cents about what I think is the future of Smash.

QQS

Smash Lord
“Dear Square Enix and Nintendo, don’t forget me this time. I know a have a special place in Sakurai’s big heart, but join forces. I want my music to be remixed by my mother Yoko Shimomura. Gaz is okay with that, he won’t be mad if ♥♪!? uses his Geno doll for Smash.”

221A3E98-300E-479E-BE41-235657028F77.jpeg

Spreading some Geno love in Twitter: @dollpossessed

GENO JOINS THE PARTY!

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Imagine my surprise to finally discover that when Geno is in battle and facing the enemy, that is not a ball on the end of his hat, but his ear, and placed where it looks like its on his hat.

This is Super Mario Bros 1 cloud and bushes are the same level of optical shenanigans.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
If there's an NES game being revived by an indie studio that we'd never believe was coming, my first reaction was Joy Mecha Fight. Fatman said it's not a Japan-exclusive though, so that kinda blows that and my second guess of Yūyūki out of the water. Sad, I really like Sukapon and Goku (the monkey).

However, Startropics has a lot of upside atm, and I can completely see an indie studio taking on the series. EDIT: An indie-developed Urban Champion game is also a dark horse pick that I don't think a lot of people would see coming.

I do hope that we're at least gonna be getting SMRPG on the Switch soon, I can finally play it for the first time since my family never owned an SNES.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

- Base game newcomers:

Bandana Dee
Ashley
Isaac
Rhythm Heaven rep
Tom Nook
Bomberman
Lip (Retro rep)
Funky Kong (DK Echo)
Shadow (Sonic Echo)
Dry Bowser (Bowser Echo)

DLC newcomers:

Ryu Hayabusa
Spyro
Sora
Crono
Goemon
Conker or Joanna Dark

And that's all I got.
Smash is a dead franchise if that happens. That'll be a hard pass from me.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Regarding Smash 6... that game no matter what they do is gonna sell absurd numbers. You guys underestimate how little the average consumer cares about things like "they cut 70% of the roster".

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
If there's an NES game being revived by an indie studio that we'd never believe was coming, my first reaction was Joy Mecha Fight. Fatman said it's not a Japan-exclusive though, so that kinda blows that and my second guess of Yūyūki out of the water. Sad, I really like Sukapon and Goku (the monkey).

However, Startropics has a lot of upside atm, and I can completely see an indie studio taking on the series. EDIT: An indie-developed Urban Champion game is also a dark horse pick that I don't think a lot of people would see coming.

I do hope that we're at least gonna be getting SMRPG on the Switch soon, I can finally play it for the first time since my family never owned an SNES.
A lot of the same stuff I said earlier in this thread actually. I think it's going to be something that can easily become an e-shop title, and based on the parameters given by Fatmanonice Fatmanonice it would most likely be one of those black box games circa 1985. Balloon Fight may be one of them per Fatman's source, and I could see something like Urban Champion, Mach Rider or Ice Climber being the others. Unfortunately Star Tropics has a sequel and was NA exclusive which disqualifies it. I also think anything with the sacrosanct golden goose named Mario is completely off the table, so no Wrecking Crew. Zelda is in a unique position where it is a million selling IP Nintendo clearly respects, but it is not in nearly as popular in Japan as it is in the West and they can slap it on pretty much any product and it will sell over here, hence Cadence. And then anything like Donkey Kong, Metroid, or maybe even Mother and Kid Icarus seem to be too high profile and modern, plus they have their own separate rumors. If I put money on anything it would be one of those 1985 games

I think for the more modern games, we've already gotten golden sun confirmed. I think very strongly the others are going to be Advance Wars and then something like Punch Out. Nintendogs is another very strong candidate.

This is also a good time to mention my dream of getting a Wild Gunman remake that's an PVP arena shooter and literally has nothing to do with the original game except that it's cowboys

Last edited:

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
I think for the more modern games, we've already gotten golden sun confirmed. I think very strongly the others are going to be Advance Wars and then something like Punch Out. Nintendogs is another very strong candidate.
Punch-Out as a brand is now mostly built up by Next Level Games. I think it's more likely a new Punch-Out is their next project or we get no new Punch-Out at all than Nintendo loaning out Punch-Out to anyone else.

Griselda

Smash Lord
..Y'know, I just had a thought. Hypothetically, if Geno was the sort to pull out explicit killing moves, could he compress a Geno Beam and fire it from one finger as a piercing attack like Frieza's Death Beam?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Wow, I never really thought about a Smash 6...

I'd want there to be a long wait until we get the next one. I think we've already got so much from Ultimate that we'll be satisfied for a while, especially with 5 more characters along the way in addition to possible bonus content. I wouldn't mind waiting until after next gen for a new game. All I know is, unless another miracle happens, no game is gonna top Ultimate in terms of content, which might make the next game feel lackluster unless they take time to give us a fresh interpretation of the game.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I never really thought about a Smash 6...

I'd want there to be a long wait until we get the next one. I think we've already got so much from Ultimate that we'll be satisfied for a while, especially with 5 more characters along the way in addition to possible bonus content. I wouldn't mind waiting until after next gen for a new game. All I know is, unless another miracle happens, no game is gonna top Ultimate in terms of content, which might make the next game feel lackluster unless they take time to give us a fresh interpretation of the game.
at this point smash 6 (7 if you count wii u/3ds as 4&5) has a hard time justifying itself, cut to many characters and why would you want it over the old one, unless it has major gameplay changes.

Droodle

Smash Lord
The Smash community after another Twitter account with no track record ends up getting debunked.
View attachment 281554
Who was it this time? The only twitter "leakers" that are popular around this time are Setanta, Shadowedgy, and Hotgirls.

-Hotgirls (date leaker) pretty much only had 2 of her dates come true, and even then some of those weren't what she expected. And 95% of what she did say that came true were leaked by others beforehand.

-Shadowedgy (the guy stating Geno is in Smash and claiming to be a leaker) got banned from resetera because he was leakmongering and he wasn't a vetted leaker. On top of that he was pestering actual insiders like Imran, Kelios, Nate, and Zell for their information and posting things that those guys didn't want to spread on twitter after being told to stop multiple times.

-Setanta was claiming a mini is next week, which is unlikely at this point and now has privated their twitter. A lot of the info of some credible sources actually goes against what he said.

I'm guessing that all of them are dead in the water now; which is good riddance. I don't get why a lot of people pay attention to random people on twitter, that claim to know things. Now if it was an actual credible source like Kelios again, then I'd pay attention to it.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
-Setanta was claiming a mini is next week, which is unlikely at this point and now has privated their twitter. A lot of the info of some credible sources actually goes against what he said.
This was the one I had in mind when making this lol

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I see everyone talking about Geno vs Waluigi - meanwhile am I the only one thinking Paper Mario is much more likely? I like Waluigi, however I don't think he could bring that much new to the table compared to Geno and especially Paper Mario, also I highly doubt they push to promote assist trophies. I think either Geno or Paper Mario will definitely get in - I wish both of them could, yet that would probably too much to ask for.

If they choose Paper Mario, I'd totally understand it, since it is an ongoing franchise with 6 mainline games that just got Origami King and probably the next Paper Mario will already be in development very soon + there is a severe lack of Paper Mario content in Smash. I feel like if there were also (bonus) fighters without a respective stage, Geno could be a perfect bonus fighter alongside a potential Paper Mario Pack with a Paper Mario stage and a huge selection of music from various Mario RPGs (including Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi and Mario RPG). Yet the fact that each challenger comes with a stage and own music tracks kinda speaks against my dream of both Paper Mario and Geno getting into Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom