• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yeah I know, Furukawa confirm that NH has selled what they expect that would sell in the entire Switch life
Like Vivala said earlier.. With that big of a sales number in such a small window (I mean, they got to these numbers in less than 6 months....) it's not that weird that Nintendo was comfortable to lean into Animal Crossing so to speak

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
New Horizons' crazy good sales honestly have a lot to do with that it serendipitously launched the week that the US decided to actually give a **** about Covid-19 and most countries started enforcing lockdowns.

"The world's on fire? Buy this open ended, stress free game with cute animals that has infinite replayability and customization."

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
We actually went out and bought a second Switch so my fiancee and I could both play at the same time. We don't play it nearly as much as we did when it first came out, but we still play it 15/20 minutes a day after dinner. I get why it's appealing to the casual gamer, it's very do-it-at-your-own pace. And it's one of the few games they actually have slated and announced updates for, so it's something to look forward to. Granted, nothing game changing, small things here and there, but enough to keep interest if played in small chunks.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I redownloaded SFV just because of Dan Hibiki.

Now if only I can get Raditz in DBFZ, Kiryu in Tekken 7, and Waluigi as a bonus in Geno's Fighter pack, then I'll be completely satisfied, and be done with this vicious cycle.

A man can dream.
Raditz is cool, but Roshi comes first.

Roshi or we riot.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just going to copy-paste these two thoughts here.

Thought #1: The last #.1.0 update with new features was 3.1.0, on May 30th, 2019. Hero and Banjo were revealed on June 11, just 12 days after. Hero, along with 4.0, were released on July 30th, 2 months after 3.1.0.

Thought #2: Smash updated to 6.1.1 on January 7th, with Byleth's reveal/presentation being shown 9 days later. They were then released 12 days after that.

We are almost certain that a reveal will happen this month somehow, but this gives us two options (not really, these are not patterns, just observations): FP7 released in late August, or early October.
Wanted to bump this because I honestly think Slender is underrated for his observations.

Smash 8.1.0 was on Tuesday, August 4th. 9 days later is coincidentally Thursday, August 13th, one month before the 35th anniversary of Super Mario and within Don Grubbioni's 11-22nd timeline.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Wanted to bump this because I honestly think Slender is underrated for his observations.

Smash 8.1.0 was on Tuesday, August 4th. 9 days later is coincidentally Thursday, August 13th, one month before the 35th anniversary of Super Mario and within Don Grubbioni's 11-22nd timeline.
We'll have to keep our eyes open on next week since Nintendo doesn't have much time left if they're intending for the Mario Remasters to be released in the fall

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Time for the daily rundown on Nintendo's finance, specifically touching on their recently published Three Months Earnings Report (March 31st - June 30th 2020), as well as a look over the Company's stock price after the report came out.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200806e.pdf
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200806_2e.pdf
https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/7974:JP

First off, the report compares the quarter ending June 30th for both 2019 and 2020 and the improvement in Net Sales, Operating Profit, and Profit per Share are QUITE notable. However, it may seem odd that the Forecast for 2021 shown at the bottom of the first page reflects a decrease in on Net Sales, Operating Profit, and two other categories (note the percentage being in a parenthesis indicating that it's negative). The forecast for 2021 is of a full fiscal year and it's comparing against 2020s fiscal year (FY 2020 ended with 1.3 billion Yen in Net Sales, while the forecast indicates a 1.2 billion Yen in Net Sales by the end of FY 2021). Dunno if the forecast is to reflect a conservative outlook to the start of 2021, or if strong indicators point to a slightly slower FY 2021, but besides said forecast, there is another factor that might have contributed to an abrupt slow down to the stock price's ascent yesterday (August 6th in Japan).

On the supplementary notes to the Earnings report (slide show file), the very last page which shows the Launch Schedule for both Nintendo IP, and Third Party Publishers brings forth concerning news. The Nintendo IP Launch Schedule remains pretty much barren for the remainder of the year (Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Zelda BotW 2 STILL remain TBA). I have to say though, I find it promising that Bravely Default II is tentatively slated as a 2020 release. As for third party titles, all of those are known. In the report itself when going over games that just launched last month (Paper Mario: The Origami King), and upcoming titles (Pikmin 3 Deluxe due on October), NOTHING was mentioned for September; nothing. Again, dunno if nothing was purposefully mentioned within the report for the sake of keeping potential releases under wraps until we get some sort of Direct news within the upcoming days but, this certainly could have influenced the slow down on the stock's price ascent (and rightfully so).

We've reached Thursday, and with yet more rumors and rumblings of news coming perhaps between next week or the next after, plus the reopening of the Nintendo NYC Store tomorrow, AND with the Company informing that production of Switch units are returning back to normal (according to the Earnings report), Nintendo might start to pick up steam. We'll have to see.

D

Deleted member

Hopefully we are getting a Nintendo Direct of some kind soon weather it’s a Partner or a Mario one remains to be seen.

But we’ll see.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It's going to be hilarious if we get a general Direct in September as it would mark a full year since we last had one.
Something like that could be the first sign of Nintendo getting back to a more standardized schedule of general announcements (General Directs in March, June, September) after the quieter/hindered period of the past couple of months. No guarantee, but it would be nice.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Hm thats interesting. Maybe Nintendo could be teasing something Xenoblade-related soon. My guess would either be a Xenoblade X port to Switch or Rex in Smash
I honestly think they are just bored out of their minds with nothing. I would love a Xenoblade X port, because that game was pretty dang fun.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I honestly think they are just bored out of their minds with nothing. I would love a Xenoblade X port, because that game was pretty dang fun.
(NOT A TEASE) I could honestly see that happening. Xenoblade 2 sold close to 2 million and, shockingly, even Xenoblade: DE has sold about 1.5 million in merely a few months. I keep telling everyone: the Switch is an RPG monster and the genre is having a renaissance that hasn't been seen since the SNES because of it.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I feel like we're so close to an announcement right now. Any day, the wait will be over. I'm very curious to see the general direction of the DLC characters for this pass.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hmm, no one talking about King Zell saying no to the 11th, 12th, Bravely Default 2 and No More Heroes 3?

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think Xenoblade X showing up is probably of question of when, not if. Nintendo's typically been fond of putting out at two/three really big JRPG's a year (XC2*/Octopath Traveler/Pokemon Let's Go in 2018, Three Houses/Sword&Shield/Dragon Quest XI in 2019, and Xenoblade DE/Bravely Default II this year).

*Technically a 2017 release, but it got a decent bulk of its sales in 2018

I can easily see the Switch port of XBCX late next year or 2022 to beef up that year's releases.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I thought we covered that last page. Well, if the 12th is out of the question now I guess that just leaves the 13th next week.
Being on mobile makes it more difficult to see everything, but one would hope that they would leave us with something to sink our teeth into before the holidays.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Isn't this the third time they've rated him? Isn't there a rule about repeats?
A bit late on this, but it appears that we go over all the resident big picks whenever we get a new fighter to see if opinion's changed. Given it's been about a six-month gap between Byleth and Min Min and Spirits are back on the table, I'd say now more than ever is good for going over all the big characters again.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Raditz is cool, but Roshi comes first.

Roshi or we riot.
They're both related to Goku. Roshi's his Master, and Raditz is his older brother.
I can see them both being announced in the same trailer tbh.

Btw when's the Mini Direct and the Beeg Direct at ?

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Hype responsibility is ****ing trash
Let me crash and burn down in my own hype
This is how I feel when I want something. I get excited and hope for what's coming, if I don't get it, I simply wallow and sulk for the time being and then get over it. If people want to get hype over something, let them. Being realistic is understandable and then you have to consider that Nintendo treats Smash as this do-or-die event, no thanks to the hype that Melee garnered in the years it had to grow before Brawl was announced. Now consider the characters that people never expected to arrive.

Why would you not get hyped? This pass is guaranteed at least two more characters that induce hype on a widescale level. Nintendo and Sakurai acknowledged the hype, and now it's time that they do their part in keeping it nourished, by any means necessary and they know what gets people excited and what pisses people off so there's no excuse in playing coy. A few bones won't cut it.

And given how long it's been since the last main direct, people are going to be hype if something gets announced, I honestly don't give a damn about Smash, I'm a Nintendo fan first and foremost and I want to see some new games, give me a new Donkey Kong Country, Wario Land, F-Zero and for the Metroid fans, show them that Prime 4 isn't vaporware. I only put up with Smash because I'm finally allowed to have K. Rool and even Banjo-Kazooie wipe the floor with Kirby and Marth.

Last edited:

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
I’m not discrediting anyone’s effort, but I’ve seen a decent amount of talk about how directs and announcements might affect Nintendo’s saws and public perception and investors related to when a direct will come out, and by extension, when Geno will be revealed.

Just want to say that while we all love to speculate, I don’t think we really know anything about how Nintendo makes decisions, especially since we don’t have complete information, we usually can’t comprehend a lot of their decisions anyway, and we aren’t exactly exactly world class business and investment experts. Using patterns is reasonable, but we have nothing to go on when it comes to how earnings and investors affect reveals. Most of the most important members probably don’t know or care about video games in general or even play them, but do have information the general public doesn’t. Even Reggie has said flat out that he doesn’t have time for games.

I think it’s interesting and I’m impressed with how much sleuthing goes on, but I do think that using earnings and speculating about investors doesn’t help at all when trying to figure Direct schedules and other announcement venues.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Right, it's finally done. My post for the current RTC.
Damn, this is gonna be the third time I've weighed in on Geno in this thread. So here we go, LONG POST INCOMING!!

-= Geno =-
Chance: 65%
Same as it ever was. Geno's chances haven't really changed that much, mostly due to how little has happened regarding Smash in the wake of The Coof, which has greatly slowed everything down to a near grinding halt. Really, the only major thing that's changed regarding Geno's chances is that Spirits are no longer considered a barrier for entry for potential newcomers. His Mii Costume is still missing even after seven whole DLC Fighters, the rumors surrounding him haven't really changed much, and he's still got a lot of potential for a fun and creative moveset in Smash.

This also holds true for the criticism, with the same people trotting out the same old tired rebuttals time and time again:

"Geno's not relevant!" they claim, despite him being one of the most frequently discussed characters for Smash, so much so that his Smashboards thread has exceeded 3000 pages, making it the biggest character thread in Smashboards history. Outside of Smashboards, Geno still manages to place very highly on fan polls to this day. One such example is SourceGaming's recent Megapoll, which saw Geno place second overall. This Smash fan polls from May 2019, which totaled a collective 22,619 votes, saw Geno in sixth place overall. The Randomized Smash Ultimate Poll on Reddit, which boasts over 50,000 votes cast by over 20,000 unique participants, saw Geno in third place. Pretty good for an "irrelevant side character", wouldn't you say?

But either way, the whole relevancy argument is a dead horse at this point. So many people have used this argument to shout down characters like Banjo and K. Rool before they got in, and now that they're in these same people are trumpeting how relevant they are to video game history in order to contrast against Geno. Oh, "SquareEnix has barely used Geno since SMRPG, so he's less likely."? Before he was revealed for Smash King K. Rool hadn't seen a game since Mario Super Sluggers in 2010.

"His popularity is exclusive to the Smash Bubble!" they claim which, even if that was true, isn't really a bad thing considering how many Smash fans there are out there. Currently Smash Ultimate has sold around 19.99 million copies worldwide. That's approximately 20 million potential Smash fans which, I hate to break it to you, is a pretty large number of people. And that's not even taking into consideration the amount of fans who have yet to even pick up the game. Not a very small bubble anymore, is it?

"He'll most likely come back as a Deluxe Mii Costume!" they claim, despite all of the "Deluxe Mii Costumes" being big indie characters that realistically didn't have much of a chance of getting in anyways. Also, the fact that Sakurai has acknowledged his popularity back during Smash 4, even giving his costume in Smash 4 a splash screen which was and still is unheard of for a Mii Costume. I swear, people give the man so little credit when it comes to picking fighters that they unironically believe he'll Mii Costume every character they want indiscriminately. Also also, you can use the whole "They'll most likely be a Mii Costume!" point to dismiss literally any potential character you don't like, so it's not a very useful criticism.

"There are plenty of other SquareEnix characters that are more likely than he is!" they claim, despite most of them having significantly less popularity or demand compared. The closest we get to credible competition for Geno on the SquareEnix side of things are Sora and 2B. One of them would require a significant amount of design tweaking in order to hide their luscious thighs, as well as needing to find a way to make them unique compared to every other sword user already on the roster, whereas the other one isn't even owned by SquareEnix, so they realistically wouldn't be competition as a "SquareEnix rep", as the cool kids like to say. Everyone else pales in comparison to Geno's popularity and demand; Crono, Lara Croft, my boy Gex, even other Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest characters.

And finally, we have the classic "It's Nintendo choosing the DLC, they wouldn't choose someone like Geno.", despite :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: all being introduced as newcomers chosen by Nintendo. I seriously can't stress this enough, by the way: Nintendo went to one of their biggest rivals, Microsoft, in order to get Banjo & Kazooie, seldom seen characters from what is considered a bygone era of video games, into their mega popular fighting game crossover, all because they knew the fans wanted it.

At this point I can't help but feel as though all of the criticism Geno gets boils down to "I have no attachment to this character or their game, and thus deem them unworthy of joining Smash." Which is totally fine, by the way. Not every characters speaks to everyone equally nor should they, and it's fine to just admit you don't give a **** about them. I just wish people were more open and honest about it, rather than coming up with post-hoc rationalizations to justify him not getting into Smash when Banjo and K. Rool could.

Anyways, I think Geno still has a great chance as DLC this time around.

Want: 100%
I don't have any connection to Geno or SMRPG personally. I never grew up with the game, and even now I don't have much personal attachment to the character himself. Hell, the most I knew of him and SMRPG was from old Newgrounds flash animations back in the day. So why do I want him? Simple: I've already gotten every character I've ever wanted for Smash with this game. I have no more characters I personally want (or any big ones, at least), no one left for me to root for on a personal level, so I throw my weight behind NEVER EVER characters like Geno, because I want those people to feel what I felt seeing K. Rool and Banjo get in. Also, I actually really like Smash speculation, and characters like Geno have a lot going for them.

-= Sora =-
Chance: 15%
While I'm tempted to simply write "EAT **** SORA**** LOLOLOLOL" and leave it at that, I'd be remiss to not try a little harder to explain my position. I'm gonna get this stuff out of the way first: I don't hate Sora or Kingdom Hearts whatsoever. I don't believe that Disney alone would be a factor that would impede his inclusion. Disney is a company, and like all companies I'm sure they'd be able to work something out in order to make Sora in Smash happen. I also don't believe that he couldn't make it in due to all the non-video game Disney IPs, since there are plenty of original characters from KH that would be sufficient to represent the series in Smash.

Right, with that out of the way, here are the reasons I don't believe Sora is coming to Smash:
Everything that Nintendo does with the character not only has to be approved by Disney, but everything that Disney approves has to be approved by Nomura and SquareEnix. When HMK got in contact with a Disney executive regarding who owns Sora, the executive (named Justin) went on to explain that Disney can't just use Sora as they please, and that they have to run everything by Nomura and SquareEnix. What this means is that, if Nintendo would like to use Sora in Smash, they'd have to deal with Disney, who'd have to get the OK from Nomura and SquareEnix before they can do anything with the character.

And that's just for Sora himself. Imagine having to also do this for Kairi, for Riku, for Sora's stage whatever that may be, for the music tracks, and whatever else they'd need to get him in the game in a satisfactory way. It's doable, don't get me wrong, and I'm certainly not professing to be an expert on these matters. But the way I see it, it's a much greater hassle trying to get Sora and Kingdom Hearts in Smash than, for instance, having to deal with the likes of Sony to get Kratos. Hell, going to SquareEnix to get Gex in the game would probably be less of a hassle.
Another concern I have regarding Sora is his fighting style. I don't believe I'm exactly spitting lava here when I say that the reason swordfighters get **** on by the greater Smash fandom is because a lot of them tend to play the same. Whether it's the three Links or the numerous "Charge on Neutral-Special, counter on Down-Special" types that make up the current Fire Emblem roster, most tend to have a hard time justifying any swordfighter that doesn't do something else.

Isaac may use a sword, but he's also got a large list of powerful earth magic that could really set him apart from the typical fare. Travis Touchdown has a royalty free Lightsaber as his weapon of choice, but he's also a grappler, which would go a long way towards spicing up his gameplay. Lloyd Irving is a relatively standard swordfighter, but he has two swords, which is... more than one? But seriously, Lloyd's biggest strength is his combat style, which is very different from the standard swordies. Hell, it's almost tailor-made for Smash with the whole Neutral-Special, Side-Special, Down-Special and Up-Special thing going on.

With Sora, I struggle to come up with much that separates him from other swordfighters, most notably Cloud. Now granted, I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game before, so my outlook on this may be very pedestrian to the seires' faithful, but most of what I've seen of the series' combat has either been basic 1-2 combos and energy shots with Sora's car keys or large, elaborate special moves that would be more befitting of a Final Smash than they would standard Special Moves.

Since the large scale special moves that summon energy carasols wouldn't be very fitting for his Special Moves, he'd have to fall back on his less flashy fare for a moveset. In doing so, he'd basically be a slightly different version of Cloud: Neutral-Special is an energy shot, Up-Special is a rising slash attack for recovery, Down-Special is a charge move in order to power yourself up. Hell, even his basic movement and standard attacks would be pretty similar to Clouds. With the former they both float along the ground in order to quickly maneuver around the battlefield, and with the latter... well, they both use swords. There's only so many ways you can have characters slash and stab before you start repeating movements.

Now at this point you may be thinking "What are you talking about? Sora has so many cool moves that would fit right in with the standard Smash fare!" or "Dude, not every character needs to be unique to make it into Smash!", and to be fair you... kind of have a point there, hypothetical counterarguer. As I've said, this is a very pedestrian take from someone who has little experience with the Kingdom Hearts series, and I totally agree that this isn't a major issue. I mean, it's not like Banjo or Byleth really set the world on fire with some super unique gimmicks or anything. But as has been seen with most of the DLC fighters, having a unique gimmick makes your chances of getting in significantly higher, and I'm tired of pretending that it's not.
There has been literally nothing in terms of insider speculation that points to Sora coming to Smash. Now this may not seem like the biggest detriment to his chances, and to be fair it's not a total dealbreaker or anything, but I find it a tad worrying that his name a seldom ever been heard in insider circles. To wit, we've been hearing more for Waluigi, Geno, and Ryu Hayabusa than we ever have for Sore. Hell, the only times I can recall that we've ever heard Sora's name mentioned was the "7 Squares Leak", which listed Sora as one of the seven names, and an episode of the Kinda Funny Gamescast with insider Imran Khan, who claims that Nintendo went about trying to get Sora for Smash but were turned down by Disney of Japan. That is, as the kids say, a major oof.

All of this combined gives me the impression that he's just not that likely whatsoever.

Want: 40%
All in all, I'm largely indifferent to Sora coming to Smash. I've never played any of the games (and given how convoluted the plot is WHY ****ING WOULD I?), so I don't have any of the nostalgic attachment to the character that others clearly have. And to reiterate it for the Sora fans who likely want to stick my head on a pike for my dour outlook on Sora's chances, I don't hate the series or any of the characters. The only reason I'm not the hottest on Sora getting in Smash is, quite simply, because there are other characters I'd rather see get in. This was much the same situation I was in regarding Steve from Minecraft, and unlike Kingdom Hearts Minecraft is a game I've actually played and really like, and I genuinely believe Steve would work well as a fighter given the vast amount of tools available in his game. Regardless, the only reason I didn't really want Steve in Smash was simply because I wanted Banjo more.

When it comes to Sora, as even this RTC would attest to, many people still see Sora as competition for Geno. And if that's the case then I'd much prefer we get Geno before we get Sora. But even if they weren't considered as competition, I'd still want Geno in before we get Sora. Hell, I'd also prefer we get Isaac, Waluigi and/or Ryu Hayabusa before we get Sora. At the end of the rainbow, I don't really care for Sora in Smash one way or the other.

Speaking of Steve, I nominate Steve x5
No predictions as to who's next.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
This is how I feel when I want something. I get excited and hope for what's coming, if I don't get it, I simply wallow and sulk for the time being and then get over it. If people want to get hype over something, let them. Being realistic is understandable and then you have to consider that Nintendo treats Smash as this do-or-die event, no thanks to the hype that Melee garnered in the years it had to grow before Brawl was announced. Now consider the characters that people never expected to arrive.

Why would you not get hyped? This pass is guaranteed at least two more characters that induce hype on a widescale level. Nintendo and Sakurai acknowledged the hype, and now it's time that they do their part in keeping it nourished, by any means necessary and they know what gets people excited and what pisses people off so there's no excuse in playing coy. A few bones won't cut it.

And given how long it's been since the last main direct, people are going to be hype if something gets announced, I honestly don't give a damn about Smash, I'm a Nintendo fan first and foremost and I want to see some new games, give me a new Donkey Kong Country, Wario Land, F-Zero and for the Metroid fans, show them that Prime 4 isn't vaporware. I only put up with Smash because I'm finally allowed to have K. Rool and even Banjo-Kazooie wipe the floor with Kirby and Marth.
Here's the issue with the hype police: it is nice advice but it can come off as a bit condescending and rude. Basically telling people that they can't handle their own emotions so they need to be lectured and warned or they might do something crazy! Plus, its not new. Its been repeated here many, many, MANY times, so people are already practicing it and get tired of still being told to do it.

Basically:

A parent telling their new driving child to make sure and buckle up before driving? Good and practical advice.

A parent telling their 27 year old child who has been driving fine for 10 years to make sure and buckle up before driving? Sounds annoying and makes the parent look like they have no faith in their child despite their record.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Well at this point there's some things pointing to a Mario Direct on the 13th.
Some things don't sit quite right, however.
Why did he not know if a Mario Collection was going to be shadow-dropped on the first 2 weeks of August or not? Did he not want to risk because in the end Nintendo is unpredictable and could have announced it beforehand (makes little sense) , or was he trying not to give the stop being a Mario Direct away? Does he only know there's a small Direct on such date but not if it's a Mario Direct or not? If so, he wouldn't have shot down NMHIII and BDII like that.
When asked, he said he had heard about a September game, but doesn't really know anything in particular and we should just wait and see since it's next month, he practically isn't sure of it. If he knew a Mario Direct was on the 13th, surely he would have at least put the dots together.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Well at this point there's some things pointing to a Mario Direct on the 13th.
Some things don't sit quite right, however.
Why did he not know if a Mario Collection was going to be shadow-dropped on the first 2 weeks of August or not? Did he not want to risk because in the end Nintendo is unpredictable and could have announced it beforehand (makes little sense) , or was he trying not to give the stop being a Mario Direct away? Does he only know there's a small Direct on such date but not if it's a Mario Direct or not? If so, he wouldn't have shot down NMHIII and BDII like that.
When asked, he said he had heard about a September game, but doesn't really know anything in particular and we should just wait and see since it's next month, he practically isn't sure of it. If he knew a Mario Direct was on the 13th, surely he would have at least put the dots together.
Considering what happened with the Partner Mini, it's quite possible that he and others have put together whatever's happening, but because they haven't been explicitly told something like "it's a Mario-focused mini direct" nobody wants to speak up and get Kelios'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom