• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Exactly! Hell, the least popular DLC characters for the past two games came from the same series: Fire Emblem, and even they had a small amount of some people liking their inclusions.
Honestly, from what I noticed from the FE community (speaking as someone that is a hardcore fan), the majority seems to be pretty much agreed upon that if the fandom where able to switch them out, it would be Black Knight and Lyn (two characters that of what I´ve seen, the Smash fanbase would even be okay with based on what I´ve seen in the mod community)... Hell, I main Byleth, and I laughed out loud when I saw that he got in because I called it, but I much rather have had a fan favorite than marketing material

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
If there's going to be a mini presentation tomorrow, either it gets announced at midnight OR, if the date of 8/3 mentioned by Hotgirl is actually an announcement date, then I could surmise the announcement being for either a lengthier mini direct, or a (oh please God please) full on General Direct for sometime between Tuesday to Thursday.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
What are you guys talking about? Don't you remember the riots in the streets that occurred when K.Rool got announced and no one knew who he was? ;)

Seriously, going to be blunt here, I play alot with casual friends (or atleast did when we still could) or just random people at parties. People who aren't really Nintendo/Smash fans or big gamers in general. Most of them, believe it or not, don't care who gets in! They don't know who half these clowns on the roster are as it is! But they don't care, because the game is fun and accessible. And it's not like the first pass appealed to the mainstream gaming crowd at all either, 3 JRPG characters, a niche (BY MAINSTREAM STANDARDS) fighting game character, and one they probably knew as "oh, that guy people REALLY wanted in Smash, Microsoft bought them and put them in that car game right?"

I'll admit, most of the first party leftovers (aside from Waluigi, who's meme status has reached mainstream) and third parties more heavily associated with the Nintendo fanbase (IE: Shantae, Rayman) are less popular once you venture outside of the Nintendo sphere, that's fair. But you know who people outside of that really seem to want? Based on what I see, it's always the big third parties, Crash, Master Chief, Steve, Doomguy are just some of the names I see that keep coming up from people who aren't really that interested in Nintendo or Smash. If only there was... some kind of overlap here... where Nintendo could somehow pick a character... that could appeal to both groups... Nah, it's not like Smash fans care about Crash or Doomguy or anything.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All I wanna say about that recent poll is:

Geno somehow always manages to crack the top 10. You can't stop the Geno.
And people say he's an irrelevant nobody. If he really was an irrelevant nobody, he wouldn't be voted for at all.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
What are you guys talking about? Don't you remember the riots in the streets that occurred when K.Rool got announced and no one knew who he was? ;)

Seriously, going to be blunt here, I play alot with casual friends (or atleast did when we still could) or just random people at parties. People who aren't really Nintendo/Smash fans or big gamers in general. Most of them, believe it or not, don't care who gets in! They don't know who half these clowns on the roster are as it is! But they don't care, because the game is fun and accessible. And it's not like the first pass appealed to the mainstream gaming crowd at all either, 3 JRPG characters, a niche (BY MAINSTREAM STANDARDS) fighting game character, and one they probably knew as "oh, that guy people REALLY wanted in Smash, Microsoft bought them and put them in that car game right?"

I'll admit, most of the first party leftovers (aside from Waluigi, who's meme status has reached mainstream) and third parties more heavily associated with the Nintendo fanbase (IE: Shantae, Rayman) are less popular once you venture outside of the Nintendo sphere, that's fair. But you know who people outside of that really seem to want? Based on what I see, it's always the big third parties, Crash, Master Chief, Steve, Doomguy are just some of the names I see that keep coming up from people who aren't really that interested in Nintendo or Smash. If only there was... some kind of overlap here... where Nintendo could somehow pick a character... that could appeal to both groups... Nah, it's not like Smash fans care about Crash or Doomguy or anything.
While you have a point, I still argue that Nintendo shot themself in the foot with Ultimate... A reboot would never sell concidering casuals would just look at it and say "why should I buy that, when I have Ultimate that gives me three times the content" or something like that. Smash can´t be anything others then ports that add stuff with each port from here on out.... There is a reason why Max Dood (the dude is known for his Cloud reaction within the Smash community) gave the suggestion of having Smash continue as a live service with them upgrading it periodically.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Really great when a moderator comes in here to give an impassioned essay on why they think Heavy from TF2 is more deserving to be in Smash than Geno in the Geno thread
And we can't set them to ignore like we can for regular users who come into the thread and do that.
Hey, any other mods around?

Can you keep your own staff in check for once and tell them to take it to DMs, you know, like you tell us to do all the time?

Kinda hard to want to follow the rules you enforce when you don't lead by example.

Or is this another case of 'Rules for thee, but not for me?' Been seeing a lot of that lately.
Aren't mods great?
And a mod of all people came in here made an essay on why Heavy is more deserving than Geno in the Geno thread. Look, there are characters that are much more iconic and influential than another, but this “deserving“ argument is useless because it is completely arbitrary. Nintendo, Sakurai, and if not the third party company, put their minds into a character whatever they desire. That’s how a character gets into Smash. Nintendo and Sakurai could care less if a character is obscure or not or if a character appeals to a hardcore audience. They put Banjo over Master Chief and Steve for the Microsoft rep. Honestly, enough of the “deserving” arguments. In reality, Nintendo and Sakurai do whatever they hell the want picking obscure characters, too new characters, anime swordsman, not profitable, etc.
Surely if you all can discuss another topic and loosely intertwine Geno into the discussion I should be able to continue an argument comparing how the Geno is somehow not obscure compared to another character that still receives game patches and stuff. They are two separate entities, but if comparing becomes a topic of conversation I will gladly comply.

Being obscure =/= not being a good option for Smash Brothers, I just thought it was silly to argue Geno couldn't be obscure in the grand scheme.
- - -
I feel there may be a slight flaw in this logic. Like don't get me wrong, Heavy is a cool character and Nintendo should try to market the game to potential buyers, but this is DLC we are talking about. I feel it's gonna be easier for Nintendo to get people who already own smash to buy the DLC than those who don't own smash (or even a switch maybe). By this logic, it makes sense for Nintendo to choose the DLC so that it pleases the existing smash players as opposed to the general public who would probably be impressed by the reveal but might not be compelled to buy the DLC+Smash (+potentially a console).
It's good to have a mix, I think there are plenty of people that purchased a Wii U and Smash to just play as Cloud for example.
As the previous DLC cycle had 2 (arguable) outliers from the average Nintendo / Smash player's radar as I had previously mentioned, I don't see why it would be any different for this pass either. Obviously you want to please your existing playerbase, which is why you can proportionally please old and potentially new players.
Geno is a pretty good example of a character that can please existing players, because he's heavily requested BY the existing players. But it is also good to branch out to grab other potential players as well, through characters such as the Heavy, Master Chief, Doom Guy, Dante, etc.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I dunno. It just irks me when we got Marth and Roy in Melee, Japanese exclusives that NoA debated cutting from the game for that exact reason, but nobody gave a **** and are now two of the most beloved characters in the fanbase. Do people forget that demand was so great for SMRPG that it was rereleased in 2008, 2016, and 2017 and released in Europe for the first time because of the demand?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I dunno. It just irks me when we got Marth and Roy in Melee, Japanese exclusives that NoA debated cutting from the game for that exact reason, but nobody gave a **** and are now two of the most beloved characters in the fanbase. Do people forget that demand was so great for SMRPG that it was rereleased in 2008, 2016, and 2017 and released in Europe for the first time because of the demand?
What´s ironic that in the hardcore FE community, Marth and Roy isn´t exactly fan favorites.

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
I feel like it's obvious that Heavy is considerably more widespread in appeal than Geno outside of the Smash fanbase, and it's absurd to suggest otherwise.
But... this is downloadable content for the Smash fanbase. Like it's kind of a non-argument that Geno is and has been, in general, way more desired within the Smash fanbase. The general public doesn't matter as much as the Smash fanbase in terms of which voices count for Smash DLC.

But yeah if you think Geno is more well known you're silly

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
OR, if the date of 8/3 mentioned by Hotgirl is actually an announcement date, then I could surmise the announcement being for either a lengthier mini direct, or a (oh please God please) full on General Direct for sometime between Tuesday to Thursday.
I personally wouldn't mind an announcement in advance for a Direct on Tuesday or Thursday (especially if it's a full-fat General Direct)... but under the current circumstances, I wonder if it would be met with either roaring applause, or loud Monty Python-style shouts of "GET ON WITH IT!" ... probably both.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I barely knew who Joker or Terry was when they were announced and I responded with apathy more than anything else
No joke, here's my entire reaction to Terry when he was revealed:
1596421442513.png

Meanwhile, I'm sure everyone here (including myself) damn well knew who Byleth was and I don't think I need to explain what happened afterwards.
I'm sure that anyone who's truly invested in the Smash DLC enough to really get upset over a character being included would at least have a vague idea of who Geno is. Also, I genuinely don't get the Smash bubble argument. Shouldn't Smash fans' wishes be rather important in deciding... what goes into a Smash game? It's like saying a presidential poll in the US is unrepresentative because they didn't poll any people from France.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Their is something I feel I need to address right now. I want everyone to know that I do support Geno. If I didn't support him, I wouldn't be in this thread everyday talking about his chances with you all and being on the supporters list. Geno has been a character I have supported for a very long time. BUT just because I support Geno, it does NOT mean I can exaggerate how iconic he is.

Let's all face it, Geno is far from iconic as you can get. He is a character that has only appeared in one game from 24 years ago, and he is really only known by people who either A. Have played Super Mario RPG, or B. Have stayed in Smash speculation to hear his name get thrown around as a potential candidate. If I were to ask a few people down the street who Geno is, chances are, most, if not, EVERYONE would probably give me a blank stare with absolute silence. When people are comparing the iconic-ness of Geno to characters like Heavy ect., I can't help but laugh at that, and this is coming from someone, as I said, who fully supports Geno for Smash and someone who loves Geno in SMRPG. People need to remember just how popular TF2 was for its time, being one of the most played games on Steam for almost 13 years. Comparing Geno to Heavy is just really, really silly in my opinion.

I feel like this is one of the major reasons why people look down upon us Geno supporters. Some people try to make Geno look better by dragging down other characters, and that seriously needs to stop. Doing this just makes you come off as a detractor of another character, something that I am pretty sure most of us have dealt with time and time again and you all should know it is NOT fun when someone is detracting and gatekeeping a character you want to see. This is just my two cents. Now I think we should just drop the Heavy talk. Remember, this is the Geno thread, so we should stick to talking about Geno and his chances of joining the roster in Smash.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I during the time I had off recently in between bits of moving into my new house I've been playing through SMRPG again. It's felt really good to hear my fiance (he plays games, but has never played any Mario RPGs in his lifetime) comment after looking over my shoulder at me playing about how alive the world of the game is and how "that forest song is annoyingly catchy"; the best moment was having him there when I first recruited Geno and getting him to admit the "I serve... A higher authority" line was cool, even if I "use pheonix down way too much". I guess I'm just saying it does my heart good to see even now people can appreciate SMRPG.
Also happy birthday Sakurai!

Xehanort1372019

Smash Journeyman
Gonna make my version of Geno's challenger pack!

Challenger Pack 7: Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars

Fighter: Geno

Stage: Bowser's Castle

Music:
1. Happy Adventure, Delightful Adventure (Remix)
2. Koopa Castle (Remix)
3. Fight Against Monsters (Remix)
4. Fight Against an Armed Boss (Remix)
5. Beware the Forest's Mushrooms (Remix)
6. Rose Town (Remix)
7. Let's Race
8. The Axem Rangers Drop In
9. Weapons Factory
10. Fight Against Smithy (Remix)

Spirits:
1. Mallow
2. Boshi
3. Gaz
4. Bowyer
5. Axem Rangers
6. Exor
7. Smithy
8. Smithy (Final Form)

Mii Costumes: Mallow Mii Hat, Smithy Mii Costume, Geno Mii Costume, Chocobo Mii Hat, 2B Mii Costume

Tell me your thoughts on this?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Smash bubble counter-arguments may be one of the most bizarre methods of gatekeeping done in speculation. 'We can't ask Smash fans' input on Smash. They don't know Smash. We need to ask non-Smash fans. They are more educated in Smash.'

Yea, because if I want to know the current game and trends for a football team, I'd ask a basketball fan.

D

Deleted member

Gonna make my version of Geno's challenger pack!

Challenger Pack 7: Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars

Fighter: Geno

Stage: Bowser's Castle

Music:
1. Happy Adventure, Delightful Adventure (Remix)
2. Koopa Castle (Remix)
3. Fight Against Monsters (Remix)
4. Fight Against an Armed Boss (Remix)
5. Beware the Forest's Mushrooms (Remix)
6. Rose Town (Remix)
7. Let's Race
8. The Axem Rangers Drop In
9. Weapons Factory
10. Fight Against Smithy (Remix)

Spirits:
1. Mallow
2. Boshi
3. Gaz
4. Bowyer
5. Axem Rangers
6. Exor
7. Smithy
8. Smithy (Final Form)

Mii Costumes: Mallow Mii Hat, Smithy Mii Costume, Geno Mii Costume, Chocobo Mii Hat, 2B Mii Costume

Tell me your thoughts on this?
I recommend a Swordfighter costume based off Crono. SMRPG and Chrono Trigger are both considered cult classic Square RPGs. Considered the best RPGs on the SNES. It would be really nice to see CT getting some representation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Honestly, how many Geno detractors after saying why Geno can't be added then turn around and feel that Crono is a perfect addition to Smash, despite both characters having almost the same 'negatives.' Bonus points if they hate 'anime swordsmen' and Goku.

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
You just made me realize. Why the hell was Ness in Smash 64? I guess he was that game's WTF character. But still, Ness? Really? I'm pretty sure Mother is niche in Japan too. If Ness was never added to 64, Mother would probably be a forgotten legend like so many other great JRPGs of that time...
Ness was in Smash 64 because Smash 64 and Mother 2 shared a ton of staff. People make all of these memes about Kirby, but Ness and Lucas are the actual biased choices, and Sakurai didn't even work on those games. The team simply grew an attachment to him, and realized he'd be a good addition even if niche.

Exactly! Hell, the least popular DLC characters for the past two games came from the same series: Fire Emblem, and even they had a small amount of some people liking their inclusions.
Byleth is the worst received fighter of DLC, as of now, not the least popular.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
There's a distinct difference to me between Heavy vs Geno's general recognizability and people wanting either character to be playable in Smash Bros. That's all I have to say.

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
Even Corrin? Legit question here, cause both were definitely very hated.
Byleth being the second DLC Fire Emblem character pretty much negated all of Byleth's positives over Corrin.
While I completely ignore Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta as "DLC" now that it's been years and a new game, no I think Corrin will end up being easily the worst received fighter of Smash history. While Byleth received a violent backlash immediately, people enjoy Three Houses and Byleth as a character. I do mean both in Smash and FE:TH. Corrin is hated amongst all parties, and most people found them annoying to play as/against. While everyone else was certainly more powerful, Corrin was easily the lamest Smash 4 DLC newcomer. I'd argue the lamest newcomer in general.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Even Corrin? Legit question here, cause both were definitely very hated.
Byleth has the advantage of his game being out worldwide for some time prior to being revealed for Smash, so the game could gain success and the characters form a natural fanbase of being Smash hopefuls (even if he was picked before his game came out). But Corrin's backlash hurt Byleth more, like how Dark Pit was depised because people were already annoyed at all the Kid Icarus content in Smash 4.

I would say that Corrin is the most forgettable and blandest FE addition to Smash, despite his moveset. He's not a character with a unique moveset, but a moveset attached to a person.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Their is something I feel I need to address right now. I want everyone to know that I do support Geno. If I didn't support him, I wouldn't be in this thread everyday talking about his chances with you all and being on the supporters list. Geno has been a character I have supported for a very long time. BUT just because I support Geno, it does NOT mean I can exaggerate how iconic he is.

Let's all face it, Geno is far from iconic as you can get. He is a character that has only appeared in one game from 24 years ago, and he is really only known by people who either A. Have played Super Mario RPG, or B. Have stayed in Smash speculation to hear his name get thrown around as a potential candidate. If I were to ask a few people down the street who Geno is, chances are, most, if not, EVERYONE would probably give me a blank stare with absolute silence. When people are comparing the iconic-ness of Geno to characters like Heavy ect., I can't help but laugh at that, and this is coming from someone, as I said, who fully supports Geno for Smash and someone who loves Geno in SMRPG. People need to remember just how popular TF2 was for its time, being one of the most played games on Steam for almost 13 years. Comparing Geno to Heavy is just really, really silly in my opinion.

I feel like this is one of the major reasons why people look down upon us Geno supporters. Some people try to make Geno look better by dragging down other characters, and that seriously needs to stop. Doing this just makes you come off as a detractor of another character, something that I am pretty sure most of us have dealt with time and time again and you all should know it is NOT fun when someone is detracting and gatekeeping a character you want to see. This is just my two cents. Now I think we should just drop the Heavy talk. Remember, this is the Geno thread, so we should stick to talking about Geno and his chances of joining the roster in Smash.
I mean yeah, I don't think anyone here is arguing all that. Outside of Smash, Geno isn't iconic and pretty much any character with any kind of support is more iconic than him. But in terms of Smash Bros itself? There's very few characters that aren't already in that have the sort of legacy that Geno has.

And yes of course people are free to say Geno is irrelevant, doesn't deserve to be in, won't get in, and free to compare him to other characters. Outside of this topic. I think most of us here have heard it a thousand times before in the newcomer thread or on Gamefaqs or wherever. Which is why I stay away from those and only view this topic these days. After seeing such hatred for a character that you love for over a decade it just gets tiring. So it would be nice to have ONE thread where we don't have to read those kinds of posts yeah?

QQS

Smash Lord
Hope this week or at least the first half of August we can get some news and a proper Nintendo Direct, with upcoming games + Smash DLC, properly #7 and #8 reveal; or at least just #7 = Geno, being available to download in mid-September. End of the story. Everyone’s here. Everyone‘s happy. Two decades of Fan Demand complete. Best revival, CGI, moveset and design ever in Smash. Please make it happen Sakurai, Nintendo and Square Enix. Also, Yoko needs to put her work on new remixes here also :)

GENO SHOOTS FROM THE STARS!

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, how many Geno detractors after saying why Geno can't be added then turn around and feel that Crono is a perfect addition to Smash, despite both characters having almost the same 'negatives.' Bonus points if they hate 'anime swordsmen' and Goku.
I don't think it's quite fair to say Crono has the same negatives as Geno. I love Mario RPG and Geno, and I still would vastly prefer Geno get in, but Chrono Trigger is in a whole different league than Mario RPG. It's pretty frequently cited as the best RPG of all time (not that that opinion is anywhere near universal). In the realm of classic JRPGs, its only serious rivals are FF6 and FF7 (and maybe one of the DQ games in Japan, idk). IMO the reaction to Crono would basically be a slightly toned down Cloud, in the same way Geno would be a toned down Banjo.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I mean yeah, I don't think anyone here is arguing all that. Outside of Smash, Geno isn't iconic and pretty much any character with any kind of support is more iconic than him. But in terms of Smash Bros itself? There's very few characters that aren't already in that have the sort of legacy that Geno has.

And yes of course people are free to say Geno is irrelevant, doesn't deserve to be in, won't get in, and free to compare him to other characters. Outside of this topic. I think most of us here have heard it a thousand times before in the newcomer thread or on Gamefaqs or wherever. Which is why I stay away from those and only view this topic these days. After seeing such hatred for a character that you love for over a decade it just gets tiring. So it would be nice to have ONE thread where we don't have to read those kinds of posts yeah?
Agreed on both instances. I've been supporting Geno for quite some time so I am most definitely aware of the legacy he has behind Smash. I can also totally relate to detractors telling me my characters will never happen, trust me I have gotten in tons of arguments with multiple different people about Geno. All I'm saying is that people shouldn't compare two different characters with vastly different followings. I just don't want this to be another thing GameFAQ's is gonna be choking up on how we are comparing Geno's popularity to Heavy, because knowing them, they will have a 10 page discussion about it.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I was working on a post to destroy Enigma735 Enigma735 and his silly post but then the Smash website just broke.

You know, broke, as in very similar if not exactly the way it has times before when we got new characters shortly before?

Big Thonk time boys.

Firox

Smash Master
Really great when a moderator comes in here to give an impassioned essay on why they think Heavy from TF2 is more deserving to be in Smash than Geno in the Geno thread
So glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Guys, not that it may mean something but, a few people, including PapaGenos have tried opening the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website and... it just stays loading (with the page staying blank). I tried opening it as well and ended with the same result. Announcement... inbound? :eek:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So I was working on a post to destroy Enigma735 Enigma735 and his silly post but then the Smash website just broke.

You know, broke, as in very similar if not exactly the way it has times before when we got new characters shortly before?

Big Thonk time boys.
Huh, you are right, it is down. What other times has this happened?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Big Thonk time boys.
Guys, not that it may mean something but, a few people, including PapaGenos have tried opening the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website and... it just stays loading (with the page staying blank). I tried opening it as well and ended with the same result. Announcement... inbound? :eek:
Same here. Currently trying to open it, just stays blank while perpetually loading.

Has this happened before, the site just taking a crap potentially before a character reveal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom