• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The amiibo page added new slots: https://twitter.com/shadowedgy/status/1290046127362830336?s=20
Just wait GenoBros. Your patience will be rewarded
Huh. That's odd. Its nine spots added, which coupled with Hero and Joker is both fighter passes, which they COULD make placeholders for since they will come at some point, but not this early. Character 10 and 11 are probably just in concept art stage, let alone their amiibos being reserved on the site. So this could be other series getting amiibos like Animal Crossing. ORRRRRRRRRRRR.....maybe Sakurai was being coy about his comment with the Zelda Smash amiibos. Perhaps they will get new prints. Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf. And there's an amiibo dump in September.

Could be coincidences, which God knows that this series has practically married to the point where its like the universe is trolling (see the Grinch Hoax with Isaac and then the Smash banner gets a glitch in the exact area where the hoax placed Isaac and only that spot). Although, I refuse to believe that Erdrick, Eight and Solo are not getting Amiibos.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Are we still giving this chick attention? WHY?

It's not she is likely to be right after all her failed predictions, anyway.
Seriously, this isn't even information, she just threw out two dates like "yea something might happen on the next Monday or two idk". I don't think she's malicious or anything but come on.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Didn't know it was Sakurai's birthday today. Happy Birthday to him.

I can't believe he is in his 50's. He honestly looks like he is in his early 30's.
I'd say he's like Hirohiko Araki... except Araki looks like he friggin' ages in reverse, whereas Sakurai just looks like he doesn't age, period.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Huh. That's odd. Its nine spots added, which coupled with Hero and Joker is both fighter passes, which they COULD make placeholders for since they will come at some point, but not this early. Character 10 and 11 are probably just in concept art stage, let alone their amiibos being reserved on the site. So this could be other series getting amiibos like Animal Crossing. ORRRRRRRRRRRR.....maybe Sakurai was being coy about his comment with the Zelda Smash amiibos. Perhaps they will get new prints. Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf. And there's an amiibo dump in September.

Could be coincidences, which God knows that this series has practically married to the point where its like the universe is trolling (see the Grinch Hoax with Isaac and then the Smash banner gets a glitch in the exact area where the hoax placed Isaac and only that spot). Although, I refuse to believe that Erdrick, Eight and Solo are not getting Amiibos.
Again, when you highlight the entries on the site, they say amiibo cards for Animal Crossing, but amiibo cards haven't been made for 4 years+

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Again, when you highlight the entries on the site, they say amiibo cards for Animal Crossing, but amiibo cards haven't been made for 4 years+
You're right, they do say they're part of an "amiibo card series" for Animal Crossing...

... you know what? I think this is a sign that tomorrow's gonna be a Direct mini... not a Partner Showcase with just third-party stuff, but an honest-to-god Direct mini where they announce first-party stuff too, including what may be new amiibo cards for New Horizons... as well as a reveal in some obscure fighting game no one's heard of, what was it, Super Bash Sisters? ;)

Here's to hoping I'm right and we get a Direct mini... and it's a big one like the 30-something minute Direct mini back in March.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know what's the deal with Nintendo most of the time having Directs or big announcements like at the end of the month. Mariomaniac45213 Mariomaniac45213 was right, they do loving shoving Directs or big announcements right at the near end of a month.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm not worried about tomorrow. A major presentation on a Monday is just kind of ****ty idea anyways and I don't think Nintendo's ever going to do a Direct on a Monday. Small news dumps? Sure but if you're a working adult you know Monday is typically a day where you're kind of half awake and nobody wants to do anything major. This is why I think if we get a major presentation this month, Nintendo will probably rationalize to do it on a Wednesday or Thursday.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm not worried about tomorrow. A major presentation on a Monday is just kind of ****ty idea anyways and I don't think Nintendo's ever going to do a Direct on a Monday. Small news dumps? Sure but if you're a working adult you know Monday is typically a day where you're kind of half awake and nobody wants to do anything major. This is why I think if we get a major presentation this month, Nintendo will probably rationalize to do it on a Wednesday or Thursday.
Yep, even a mini direct closer in length to the March one would likely be better to announce on Monday at earliest rather than air it

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Seriously, this isn't even information, she just threw out two dates like "yea something might happen on the next Monday or two idk". I don't think she's malicious or anything but come on.
It's as if she is trying to lead us into expecting something only to find nothing at the end of the so called "rainbow" she has created.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Firstly, by "same boat", I meant that both characters are relatively unknown to the general public. If you were to ask random people who Heavy was from TF2, most would look at you cockeyed. This isn't the case with household names like Mario, Sonic, several of the Pokemon, etc.
Well no, I'm sure most people in the gaming community would liken the Heavy or any of TF2's cast as the funny guys in those YouTube videos. As TF2 (and Valve as a whole) heavily depends on community-made content to keep their games alive and relevant, it is highly likely that despite people not being familiar with the game Team Fortress 2, people are likely to have come across the "Meet the Team" series of official videos or any community made Source Filmmaker or Garry's Mod videos on YouTube.

As for Heavy's supposed "iconic" status, your bias here is pretty hilarious. I mean, the character doesn't even have a proper name FFS. The characters from Overwatch are much more well known and distinguished in the "hero" shooter genre, and this is FACT. If it wasn't, you would have had Heavy in Ready Player One instead of Tracer, etc. It doesn't matter if the last update to TF2 was three years ago, Heavy is not "iconic" outside of those that played his game and especially not within the Smash fanbase which brings me to my next point.
Mikhail, but having a name doesn't mean anything and I don't understand your reasoning to even bother mentioning something so miniscule. Geno literally uses a nickname too so?? Whether you believe a character quantifies as iconic or not is subjective, and as you specifically attempted to argue Geno isn't obscure in your previous statement I cannot take your opinion on the subject at face value regardless.
yes people know about overwatch, because overwatch literally capitalized from the dwindling support tf2 was receiving at the time of it's reveal and additionally drew inspiration from tf2 as it easily was the schema overwatch based its design from. i dont know why you're using a film to justify the "importance" of a character, but smash brothers has always been a game about celebrating history. and team fortress 2 is far more of a history pick in terms notoriety in it's genre of multiplayer fps games and likely even being the first game to have it's own functioning virtual economy that you can legitimately make money from by purchasing and selling virtual items. I would liken both feats as notable historical events that have changed the industry as a whole in some fashion.

The SMASH fanbase. The very fact that so many people within Smash speculation are scratching their heads over Heavy is proof that the general Smash base never really thought much of him. Now, people on here have talked about the sometimes sheltered nature of the "smash bubble", but I'd like to point out that it's that smash bubble that Sakurai and his team are most interested in appealing to. Not a bunch of randos online that think a dude with a minigun would make for a good smash character. I love how people are always so hellbent on a particular character that they never even consider what it would be like to actually PLAY said character in Smash. Think about it. If Heavy were to be a character, he'd be a big, slow *ahem* heavy whose primary method of fighting would be simply spam machine gun fire at people. Yeah, not exactly the most colorful addition.
because the smash fanbase begged for the inclusion of snake, joker, ryu, and terry bogard yeah.
crossover games are sold by the characters added. adding in characters from NEW IP to draw in NEW AUDIENCES is how you boost sales. this isn't to say they wouldn't add a fighter existing consumers would be interested in, byleth, banjo+kazooie, and the dragon quest heroes are right there. but in order to boost sales of your existing product, it does a lot to garner the attention of people not normally looking at it. additionally, finding a character inclusion to be boring because you cannot come up with an interesting idea is something that has plagued the smash community forever.
rosalina
piranha plant
little mac
duck hunt
ridley even with the size arguments and whatnot
if there is a will, there is a way. arguing against the notoriety of what they add to the game balance is subjective until you have something physical to actually give that belief merit.

Now let's look at Geno. He heralded arguably the best and most unique Mario RPG spin-off ever made. His entire body is a swiss army knife of guns and weapons including finger bullets, rocket arms, elbow cannons, star guns and a wide assortment of flashy energy attacks. Then throw in a smaller frame and higher speed and you've got yourself a formidable zoner. Sure he was from only one game released in 1996, but remember that "Smash bubble"? He's got a significant following within Smash fandom and Sakurai/Nintendo KNOW IT. The fact that Geno has already earned himself a Mii costume and a spirit is further proof of that. Let me ask you, what TF2 spirits exist in Smash Ultimate? How about ATs? Costumes? Where was Heavy on the official Smash ballot? Yeah, if you've got a thing for Heavy, all power to you, but don't question my understanding of "obscure" when you haven't got a clue.
I'm not sure how you can laugh me off for being biased when you typed out that first line a mere two paragraphs later.
geno can shoot a variety of projectiles, just like mega man and mii gunner. I am capable of "dumbing down" a character concept just to prove a point too. whether you find a concept fun or not is entirely up to the person hearing it, but i can guarantee more people that PLAY ultimate would not want a small fast zoner in the game. the general playerbase hates zoning lol
and i dont know why you're arguing the existence of Valve content in Smash Ultimate but seeing as Valve currently has nothing in the game whatsoever, it is very unsurprising that they have nothing officially in the game. The audiences are different, which is why considering the inclusion of a character from a Valve game would be fruitful as it would likely draw in new consumers to buy the character, game, and even console.
if anything, even if the votes for the heavy could be bloated from the tf2 reddit, it just shows an audience exists that would purchase their way through those hurdles.

tl:dr
the heavy and geno are both good characters, but comparing geno to the heavy outside of the smash niche is laughable.
i stand by my belief that if you want a real idea of what the general public would want in smash, you should be posting your polls outside of the smash circles and into the areas of people that would want a specific character and stuff. every person counts, because every person has the potential to be a buyer.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
It's as if she is trying to lead us into expecting something only to find nothing at the end of the so called "rainbow" she has created.
"Don't you want to go where the rainbow ends?"
Do I want to go where the rainbow ends? Hmm, no thanks, hot girl.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I still think it’s cool that some of HGV’s predictions have lined up with Fatmans. Doesn’t anybody else think that’s cool?

now it’s a dam shame she never heard anything about FP7. Not even a whisper. Has anybody asked her if she knows anything about Smash? Although I’m assuming if she did she would have just blurted it out by now.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Really great when a moderator comes in here to give an impassioned essay on why they think Heavy from TF2 is more deserving to be in Smash than Geno in the Geno thread

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I still think it’s cool that some of HGV’s predictions have lined up with Fatmans. Doesn’t anybody else think that’s cool?

now it’s a dam shame she never heard anything about FP7. Not even a whisper. Has anybody asked her if she knows anything about Smash? Although I’m assuming if she did she would have just blurted it out by now.
I know she claims to not know who Geno is and acted annoyed people were asking

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Really great when a moderator comes in here to give an impassioned essay on why they think Heavy from TF2 is more deserving to be in Smash than Geno in the Geno thread
And we can't set them to ignore like we can for regular users who come into the thread and do that.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Cool story bro.
Hey, any other mods around?

Can you keep your own staff in check for once and tell them to take it to DMs, you know, like you tell us to do all the time?

Kinda hard to want to follow the rules you enforce when you don't lead by example.

Or is this another case of 'Rules for thee, but not for me?' Been seeing a lot of that lately.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Isn't irony such a funny thing? Every day we're having arguments over a random character's iconicness in a ****ing Geno thread

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Alright Genobros, hear me out on this one.

We get a Direct announced tomorrow, but its not a general, mini or a partner showcase.
This is what we get instead:

Paw Patrol Direct 8.3.20.png

D

Deleted member

And a mod of all people came in here made an essay on why Heavy is more deserving than Geno in the Geno thread. Look, there are characters that are much more iconic and influential than another, but this “deserving“ argument is useless because it is completely arbitrary. Nintendo, Sakurai, and if not the third party company, put their minds into a character whatever they desire. That’s how a character gets into Smash. Nintendo and Sakurai could care less if a character is obscure or not or if a character appeals to a hardcore audience. They put Banjo over Master Chief and Steve for the Microsoft rep. Honestly, enough of the “deserving” arguments. In reality, Nintendo and Sakurai do whatever they hell the want picking obscure characters, too new characters, anime swordsman, not profitable, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Anyone else burned out on the "Smash bubble" argument too given Smash has sold over 60 million copies over 20 years and is literally an accumulation of every single Nintendo franchise?

"Geno's only popular in the Smash bubble."

People do realize that there's a lot of Smash fans around the world, right? It's weird that Smash fans are suddenly irrelevant... When it comes to the characters that they want in Smash Bros... Isn't that wacky? A good number of Smash fans want Geno and that's pretty well established and has been two years now so I don't understand why we keep circling back to this strange talking point that coincidentally comes up for him that SMASH BROS fans don't matter for what characters make it into SMASH BROS.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Anyone else burned out on the "Smash bubble" argument too given Smash has sold over 60 million copies over 20 years and is literally an accumulation of every single Nintendo franchise?

People do realize that there's a lot of Smash fans around the world, right? It's weird that Smash fans are suddenly irrelevant... When it comes to the characters that they want in Smash Bros... Isn't that wacky? A good number of Smash fans want Geno and that's pretty well established and has been two years now so I don't understand why we keep circling back to this strange talking point that coincidentally comes up for him that SMASH BROS fans don't matter for what characters make it into SMASH BROS.
YES! I'm so sick of the Smash bubble argument

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

That is my single biggest pet peeve and the quickest way to get me to stop reading someone's posts. "Only Smash Bros fans care about Geno or know who he is". Yeah, okay. Well lucky for us this is DLC for Smash Bros, so forgive me if I don't give a **** if they choose to not cater to Half Life fans.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John

Preach. I hate the “Smash Bubble” argument that’s used to shut down anything.

DeltaCrow

Smash Cadet
i stand by my belief that if you want a real idea of what the general public would want in smash, you should be posting your polls outside of the smash circles and into the areas of people that would want a specific character and stuff. every person counts, because every person has the potential to be a buyer.
I feel there may be a slight flaw in this logic. Like don't get me wrong, Heavy is a cool character and Nintendo should try to market the game to potential buyers, but this is DLC we are talking about. I feel it's gonna be easier for Nintendo to get people who already own smash to buy the DLC than those who don't own smash (or even a switch maybe). By this logic, it makes sense for Nintendo to choose the DLC so that it pleases the existing smash players as opposed to the general public who would probably be impressed by the reveal but might not be compelled to buy the DLC+Smash (+potentially a console).

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
There are some Smash fans who might not care about Geno at all. It could even be a big number of that.

What it is that makes the Smash Bubble false is not everyone who likes Geno is necessarily a Smash fan.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t think they were saying Heavy is more deserving than Geno, tho imo the comment on zoners is kinda eh since Heavy could be a heavy (heh) zoner Smash fans would find annoying too...I get that wasn’t the main point though...

TheBeastHimself

I never really get into debates on this site but I need to add my two cents while the topic is still fresh.

There's literally no point in arguing over who is more iconic, reputable, more deserving, or whatever synonym you want to use. Sakurai is going to add whoever the hell he wants. For example, between Heavy and Tracer, it wouldn't matter who is more iconic, Sakurai is going to pick the character he thinks is more fun, or the one he personally likes. Sakurai is human, he is biased, he openly admits that when he talks about Fire Emblem. Sakurai is not some AI programmed with algorithms to detect who'd win in a popularity contest.

Of course, audiences are taken into account when it comes to DLC, so adding someone like Croc from Croc Legend of the Gobbos may not be the best approach, but if a decent amount of people like a character, no matter who it is, they have a pretty good shot. Take Terry for example. Terry doesn't have that mainstream status that someone like Crash or Master Chief does, but he still has his fans that grew up with the Neo-Geo or are heavily involved in the FGC, so it doesn't matter that not everyone knows who he is. At least the way I see it, Terry throws the relevancy argument out the window.

At the end of the day, Sakurai can add whoever he wants (with Nintendo's guidance for finance reasons). Arguing over who is more iconic than who is wasting energy that can be better spent positively. I don't think it's bad as a debate topic, but I don't think everyone is mature enough to debate while detached from their pride because I've seen time and time again in this thread people resorting to their pettiness with stupid playground insults.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That is my single biggest pet peeve and the quickest way to get me to stop reading someone's posts. "Only Smash Bros fans care about Geno or know who he is". Yeah, okay. Well lucky for us this is DLC for Smash Bros, so forgive me if I don't give a **** if they choose to not cater to Half Life fans.
Or this even weirder idea that if people don't know who he is they will immediately hate him and call for Sakurai's death. Admit it; probably less than half of us knew who Ness, Captain Falcon, Pit, Ice Climbers, etc were when they were first added too. "B-but he's third party." *****! Plenty of people didn't know Joker, Hero, or Terry either so why do we keep going back to this talking point too? They all have their fans and people that were estatic about their additions so can we PLEASE stop acting like Geno's addition would somehow offend non-Smash fans like a fat cow turd on a hot hibachi grill?

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Or this even weirder idea that if people don't know who he is they will immediately hate him and call for Sakurai's death. Admit it; probably less than half of us knew who Ness, Captain Falcon
You just made me realize. Why the hell was Ness in Smash 64? I guess he was that game's WTF character. But still, Ness? Really? I'm pretty sure Mother is niche in Japan too. If Ness was never added to 64, Mother would probably be a forgotten legend like so many other great JRPGs of that time...

Griselda

Smash Lord
I was gonna wait until later to say this just since there's still the chance I might change my mind later (as it is with all things), but Origami King has completely won me over, today. I think I needed to be playing this game. The official promotional materials played up entirely the wrong tone and themes for the game, and I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't for someone saying something like 'this is surprisingly dark for a Mario game'. I dunno who that even was, but whoever you are, thank you. Sure, I'd love it if the next game went right back to TTYD in terms of gameplay and art style, but I think this one can stand on its own.

Give me Geno tomorrow; I'm content today.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Or this even weirder idea that if people don't know who he is they will immediately hate him and call for Sakurai's death. Admit it; probably less than half of us knew who Ness, Captain Falcon, Pit, Ice Climbers, etc were when they were first added too. "B-but he's third party." *****! Plenty of people didn't know Joker, Hero, or Terry either so why do we keep going back to this talking point too? They all have their fans and people that were estatic about their additions so can we PLEASE stop acting like Geno's addition would somehow offend non-Smash fans like a fat cow turd on a hot hibachi grill?
Exactly! Hell, the least popular DLC characters for the past two games came from the same series: Fire Emblem, and even they had a small amount of some people liking their inclusions.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
All I wanna say about that recent poll is:

Geno somehow always manages to crack the top 10. You can't stop the Geno.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
That’s not what they said at all though. Saying that Heavy is more iconic in Geno doesn’t mean you’re saying Heavy is more deserving than Geno. I personally think Heavy is more iconic, but Geno deserves a spot more.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You just made me realize. Why the hell was Ness in Smash 64? I guess he was that game's WTF character. But still, Ness? Really? I'm pretty sure Mother is niche in Japan too. If Ness was never added to 64, Mother would probably be a forgotten legend like so many other great JRPGs of that time...
Probably because Iwata was involved with both projects, honestly. Not only did Iwata basically save Mother but was the largely the reason Sakurai was able to present the ideas to Nintendo's executives to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom