• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Ok, I don’t usually talk about my connections publicly but I feel like this needs to be said since there does seem to be confusion in both our speculation spaces and insider circles.

There are a LOT of corporate shakeups from across nearly all of the different offices around the world happening at Nintendo. The biggest reason is there is a major investigation going on with the basis of Corporate Espionage due to the leaking of all this classified content that has appeared on the web as of late. They know who the guy is that has been releasing it and has already filed a lawsuit against him but it isn’t stopping there because it is theorized by people inside the company that it was an employee who helped or allowed someone to do this.

Everyone from top to bottom is being investigated because of this. So, even though all this stuff coming out on older games is cool, it’s also effecting Nintendo and it’s releases.

So yeah, there’s that. Nintendo news is being pushed back constantly as more and more people are getting investigated.
Hmm, I can see more or less the bigger picture now. Global pandemic aside and the adjustment to remote work, I can see how a Company-wide-scale investigation could have impacted the schedule of Nintendo game announcements. The source code leaks are nothing to brush off lightly; the acquisition of said resources is a crime, and of course Nintendo isn't taking it lightly (for good reason). Again, mix that with the ongoing pandemic, the process of adapting to remote work (most or some of its workforce), AND let us not forget storm season (of which we're nearing its peak and boy are Typhoons a thing), the delays have more of a reason to them now. With the investigation ongoing, so much research and development, manufacturing, sales, localization staff, among others who come into contact with sensitive IP info or resources are most likely being heavily scrutinized. The culprit may have been identified, but surely they might be scrutinizing for any additional perpetrators. An unfortunate sequence of events but very real, very humane, and as many might think that such things "don't matter" they do; at the end of the day when running a multinational Corporation it matters a lot.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So, they went more in-depth on why characters based on Goombas, Toads etc. in the newer Paper Mario games are generic:

Absolutely stupid. I’m loving TOK so far and like the Bob-omb dude, but good gosh not being able to see beloved characters such as Goombella etc. again nor get new characters like them because of this is plain stupid. Maybe if the mainline teams wanted to use them it could happen, though, and at least Smash seems unaffected...

Last edited:

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
Can someone clear this up for me? Why is there no VC on the Switch??

VC has been a feature of every Nintendo console since the Wii, including handhelds, so I don't understand why they would remove a feature that a lot of people love and didn't hurt anyone. I get the NES and SNES apps are incentives to buy the Online Service, but these apps barely give us any games compared to the VC, and they're exclusively NES and SNES.

The fact that you can't play N64, Game Boy and DS games on the Switch is mind boggling. Why can't I play EarthBound on my Switch?! Is EarthBound too powerful for the Switch to handle?! :mad::mad:
Has nothing to do with power and is simply a way for Nintendo to "Disney Vault" their library and drip-feed it for the benefit of a related game release or to increase demand for a certain title until there is a climax when they finally add it.

More plainly, because of Nintendo reasons.

When the Switch released there was a mission statement that the VC was dead for all intents and purposes and this would be how Nintendo handles their legacy library for this gen.

Last edited:

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
So, they went more in-depth on why characters based on Goombas, Toads etc. in the newer Paper Mario games are generic:

Absolutely stupid. I’m loving TOK so far and like the Bob-omb dude, but good gosh not being able to see beloved characters such as Goombella etc. again nor get new characters like them because of this is plain stupid. Maybe if the mainline teams wanted to use them it could happen, though, and at least Smash seems unaffected...
Smash seems to do its own thing, we got K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie out of fan request, so it is not necessary that Nintendo's raging hatred of Mario OCs would block Geno, although it does make it a bit harder...

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Wait, I thought all this hacking/leaking involving the source-code stuff happened several years ago? As in, the hacks occured in 2018-ish, the guy got arrested but not before sharing it to several others, and they've slowly been trickling stuff out over the last year or two. NONE of the actual hacking or dispension of information occurred recently.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Has nothing to do with power and is simply a way for Nintendo to "Disney Vault" their library and drip-feed it for the benefit of a related game release or to increase demand for a certain title until there is a climax when they finally add it.

More plainly, because of Nintendo reasons.

When the Switch released there was a mission statement that the VC was dead for all intents and purposes and this would be how Nintendo handles their legacy library for this gen.
Eh, I understand the reasoning, but the fact that you can't play N64 or even GameCube games on the Switch is a huge missed opportunity.

Video game consoles and TVs have been transitioning to all-in-one media platforms for years now. I'd love to be able to play my old classic games all on one system instead of having to plug in old consoles or buy a bunch of accessory "classic" consoles. Well, I guess it's important to be stingy in the business world, I wonder if the lack of a VC turned a lot more people towards piracy.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
So, would the corporate espionage people be the leakers here?
Nintendo is stupid to “push things back” while investigating these matters because only more stuff is going to trickle out. I can see how this helps them figure out who is the one leaking stuff, but it hurts their public image even more.

The way I see it, it is solely Nintendo’s fault that “leakers” are even becoming a thing in the past few years because they’ve been less and less transparent about their plans/release schedules and with Directs becoming increasingly rare. It’s more interesting for the general population to follow “insiders” who tease **** that may never happen than a video game company who refuses to show off literally any of their video games.
I imagine that’s mainly about the massive game
file and data leaks recently like the Mario 64 leaks that lead us to finding Luigi. That is Nintendo owned property that they didn’t want the public getting. It’s much more serious than someone on ResetEra going “Mario remakes coming eventually lol”

My point is that Master Chief is a very real possibility at this point. There are tons of grown adults now who grew up on Halo and see it as THE classic game. It's their OOT or Super Mario Brothers 3 or Symphony of the Night, and Sakurai (who just came out against console wars actually) definitely knows this. As much as I hate to admit it because I also think it's kind of dumb personally, Master Chief is dumb likely right now. Like, definitely in the top 10 very likely characters.

And to avoid the mods, Geno falls under this too. we have been given so many hints for characters that have turned out to be real, why would this not be different? I think Geno and Master Chief are both high possibilities at this point
I’m going to back you up & say that I’m one of the people you’re talking about. I played games casually beforehand (mostly licensed stuff like Spongebob & Star Wars), but Halo 3 is the game that truly sparked my love for gaming. Gaming is my passion & a lot of it stems from Halo.

I think Master Chief is one of the few character reveals left that would make people emotional like Cloud, Hero & Banjo. The others being Geno, Crash & maaaaybe Steve.

There’s definitely a lot of popular characters left that’ll have people screaming in joy & hype, but I think those four characters are the only ones that’ll leave people in tears because of their love & passion for the character/their games.

I sort of hope a Chief/Geno bro alliance forms. Since they’re sort of the current “Never Evers”.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Wait, I thought all this hacking/leaking involving the source-code stuff happened several years ago? As in, the hacks occured in 2018-ish, the guy got arrested but not before sharing it to several others, and they've slowly been trickling stuff out over the last year or two. NONE of the actual hacking or dispension of information occurred recently.
Yeah iirc it was like 3 terrabytes or something of data from that one hacker dude and he shared the stuff with a bunch of others, whom have been slowly trickling stuff out on 4chan.

Maybe Nintendo isn’t fully aware of that, though, so while they got the dude who hacked them, they think the recent stuff may be from recent leakers/hackers within the company?

Or maybe they are aware and they‘ve just been very dedicated to finding who they think helped the leaker/hacker dude over the past two years...

edit: though, I suppose the people the hacker shared stuff with could be other employees, but you’d think it’d be friends and/or even strangers online...

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I imagine that’s mainly about the massive game
file and data leaks recently like the Mario 64 leaks that lead us to finding Luigi. That is Nintendo owned property that they didn’t want the public getting. It’s much more serious than someone on ResetEra going “Mario remakes coming eventually lol”
Yeah, I can imagine. Why push back reveals over this, though? I know it is important for Nintendo to not let these cats out of the bag, if you know what I mean, but delaying unrelated announcements? Why do that?

Firox

Smash Master
Ok, I don’t usually talk about my connections publicly but I feel like this needs to be said since there does seem to be confusion in both our speculation spaces and insider circles.

There are a LOT of corporate shakeups from across nearly all of the different offices around the world happening at Nintendo. The biggest reason is there is a major investigation going on with the basis of Corporate Espionage due to the leaking of all this classified content that has appeared on the web as of late. They know who the guy is that has been releasing it and has already filed a lawsuit against him but it isn’t stopping there because it is theorized by people inside the company that it was an employee who helped or allowed someone to do this.

Everyone from top to bottom is being investigated because of this. So, even though all this stuff coming out on older games is cool, it’s also effecting Nintendo and it’s releases.

So yeah, there’s that. Nintendo news is being pushed back constantly as more and more people are getting investigated.
I find it hilariously ironic that Nintendo has been so hellbent on avoiding leaks, yet ends up getting a massive amount of classified content dumped onto the internet. If I were the judge over the leaker's lawsuit, I'd tell him that his only crime was not including anything new or Smash Bros related in the info dump.

Griselda

Smash Lord
So, in other places I've seen the mindset that with the full picture regarding the Mario series' (Paper Mario in particular) diversity and creativity becoming worse the more information is revealed, that now it's time to just give up and 'move on', and never expect anything like the late 90s/2000s again.

I disagree.

This is, to be honest, the time to push back even harder than ever before and find a way to get them to acknowledge that this is a major flaw that is destroying their IP. Obviously I'm not telling anyone to go harassing Nintendo (and I feel like I have to clarify because if I didn't someone would claim that was what I meant) but we need to find a way to let them see and understand - more than simply feedback on their games, but feedback on them as a whole as well as all of their practices. Sure, Sakurai might be able to grab Geno from the void if he wanted to, and Geno might appear in some capacity afterwards, but if we ever want to see a new Geno, or Toadsworth, or Rosalina, ect. then we're going to have to fight for it. And that's a depressing thought. The 2000s hold my fondest memories of video games in general, and I've never forgotten the way I felt when playing the Mario games from around that time - that the little differences in tone and style did nothing but broaden the scope of the Mario series and enrich what was already there in doing so. The Mushroom Kingdom you see in the early to middle Party series feels way different than the one you see in Paper Mario, and the one in Mario & Luigi, and that's completely okay.

I get that wanting to maintain a consistent brand image for the sake of integrity isn't necessarily a bad thing (and can be a very good thing), but let's be honest: nothing that Mario was doing during that period was harmful to the series or 'pushing the limit' in any way. He wasn't exactly whipping out chainsaws and shotguns in TTYD. He wasn't scooping Goombas' eyes out of their heads. He was literally just on a vacation somewhere he'd never been before and experiencing new things right alongside the player - which, in my opinion, is the greatest purpose of video games in general.

I really hope Geno gets into Smash and that his success is enough to make them think, if not 'Wait, they really like that kind of thing?' then at least 'Fine, your interest is stupid but we want your money in the future so we'll do some more of that'. Because I wonder if they might not actually fully understand that people played those games (SMRPG, Paper Mario, etc.) because they liked their qualities, not just because it said 'Mario'. Maybe a DLC character separate from the overall sales of the game where they can see how many people actually purchased that character in particular might be enough.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I never heard of this. Was this mentioned in his last video? Because I haven't seen it yet.
I haven't mentioned it in a video and likely won't because I can't elaborate on it at all, I hate covering something I can't explain and since it isn't even a full character leak I don't think covering it in a video would sway speculation much one way or the other. It's just some evidence thats in favor of these two characters (Geno and Waluigi). Evidence does not always lead to anything of course and thats all it is "evidence" not a character leak at all.

Basically I had a phone call conversation with someone, they wanted it to be a phone call because they did not want any kind of "paper trail" for what they had to tell me. I was told something that makes me (and the person who told me it) believe Geno and Waluigi are more likely to actually get into smash than I thought before (this phone call happened about a week or so before Min Min was revealed). The person who I spoke to is fully verified to definitely be someone who is in a position to get this information and the information is coming from about as inside Nintendo as you can get. I have no doubt at all that the information is true 100%. However, I can't say more than this and never will be able to (which is another reason why I dont want to mention it in a video, I wont ever be able to elaborate further) as it could have very bad consequences for the person who told me. So while the evidence/information is definitely true, it is JUST evidence/information pointing to these two characters and just like publicly known evidence for a character that doesn't always lead to anything.

So basically I know some evidence toward Geno or Waluigi (either one or possibly both, and no not "mario character" or something, legitimately these two are the only characters it makes sense for) that makes me more confident they could actually show up in this fighters pass. But I can't explain the evidence at all and it is JUST evidence, neither character happening at all is completely possible still (though admittedly this was good evidence in their favor for sure imo). I'd say given what the evidence is it would suggest as a playable fighter, but again the evidence could lead to nothing or even a Mii Costume etc... its just evidence for Geno or/and Waluigi that could point to them possibly happening in some way for this fighters pass.

I have mentioned all this to my discord and I have seen some of them guessing on the right track close to what it is that I heard, so enough info is out there about this. I know someone made a collection of what ive said about it on discord, and again some people have guessed essentially what it was about already anyway.

I can't confirm or deny any guesses and never will be able to explain this one, so mentioning it in a video just seems pointless. I somewhat hate having this sort of info as its just a bunch of hearsay I cant openly explain but there ya go make of it what you want.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I get that wanting to maintain a consistent brand image for the sake of integrity isn't necessarily a bad thing (and can be a very good thing), but let's be honest: nothing that Mario was doing during that period was harmful to the series or 'pushing the limit' in any way. He wasn't exactly whipping out chainsaws and shotguns in TTYD. He wasn't scooping Goombas' eyes out of their heads. He was literally just on a vacation somewhere he'd never been before and experiencing new things right alongside the player - which, in my opinion, is the greatest purpose of video games in general.
What I find especially strange is that, despite visually being consistent with the rest of the Mario series, Origami King is a huge outlier tonally. I won't give examples because spoilers, but if you've played the game you can probably think of a few examples of what I'm talking about. It's baffling that a character like Goombella is seen as somehow damaging Mario's squeaky clean image, but Origami King's genuinely creepy moments don't. Now, don't get me wrong, Origami King's tone is fantastic, it just seems way more out of line than anything the rest of the series has done.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
To get away from Master Chief discussion, I must ask. What Mii Outfits do ya'll think will come with Geno? My personal bets are:
*Mallow (Super Mario RPG)
*Smithy (Super Mario RPG)
*Fawful (Mario & Luigi)
*Crono (Chrono Trigger)
*Chocobo (Final Fantasy)
*Sephiroth (Final Fantasy) + One Winged Angel

(Also, this is my 666th post. Hooray I guess)
square-enix is a big company what would i want is
:ultbrawler::bubblebobble:
:ultswordfighter:Smithy, Mallow, Crono, Black Mage
:ultgunner:Lara Croft

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

I don't really think that interview affects Geno's chances in anyway. I think this interview may hurt the chances of other Mario RPG OC's like Fawful and Goombella. As for Geno, however, the team behind the newer Paper Mario games really have no say on Geno getting in since ultimately, its up for Square to decide.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

This... explains a ton....

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I haven't mentioned it in a video and likely won't because I can't elaborate on it at all, I hate covering something I can't explain and since it isn't even a full character leak I don't think covering it in a video would sway speculation much one way or the other. It's just some evidence thats in favor of these two characters (Geno and Waluigi). Evidence does not always lead to anything of course and thats all it is "evidence" not a character leak at all.

Basically I had a phone call conversation with someone, they wanted it to be a phone call because they did not want any kind of "paper trail" for what they had to tell me. I was told something that makes me (and the person who told me it) believe Geno and Waluigi are more likely to actually get into smash than I thought before (this phone call happened about a week or so before Min Min was revealed). The person who I spoke to is fully verified to definitely be someone who is in a position to get this information and the information is coming from about as inside Nintendo as you can get. I have no doubt at all that the information is true 100%. However, I can't say more than this and never will be able to (which is another reason why I dont want to mention it in a video, I wont ever be able to elaborate further) as it could have very bad consequences for the person who told me. So while the evidence/information is definitely true, it is JUST evidence/information pointing to these two characters and just like publicly known evidence for a character that doesn't always lead to anything.

So basically I know some evidence toward Geno or Waluigi (either one or possibly both, and no not "mario character" or something, legitimately these two are the only characters it makes sense for) that makes me more confident they could actually show up in this fighters pass. But I can't explain the evidence at all and it is JUST evidence, neither character happening at all is completely possible still (though admittedly this was good evidence in their favor for sure imo). I'd say given what the evidence is it would suggest as a playable fighter, but again the evidence could lead to nothing or even a Mii Costume etc... its just evidence for Geno or/and Waluigi that could point to them possibly happening in some way for this fighters pass.

I have mentioned all this to my discord and I have seen some of them guessing on the right track close to what it is that I heard, so enough info is out there about this. I know someone made a collection of what ive said about it on discord, and again some people have guessed essentially what it was about already anyway.

I can't confirm or deny any guesses and never will be able to explain this one, so mentioning it in a video just seems pointless. I somewhat hate having this sort of info as its just a bunch of hearsay I cant openly explain but there ya go make of it what you want.
It could be something that has been in front of our eyes all this time.
Interesting. :ganondorfmelee:

TTF

Smash Journeyman

I just wanna say that I appreciate all that you do. You're always able to explain yourself/your info well and able to balance being hyped & being on-the-level as well. Keep up the great work, sir!

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
I don't really think that interview affects Geno's chances in anyway. I think this interview may hurt the chances of other Mario RPG OC's like Fawful and Goombella. As for Geno, however, the team behind the newer Paper Mario games really have no say on Geno getting in since ultimately, its up for Square to decide.
I'm not saying it hurts Geno's chances significantly but Nintendo is behind the Paper Mario team's restrictions.

MattX20

Smash Hero

If you can't divulge any information, that's understandable. We just appreciate any transparency that we can get, especially with how needlessly secretive Nintendo has been this year

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I'm not saying it hurts Geno's chances significantly but Nintendo is behind the Paper Mario team's restrictions.
Yeah true. Either way, Smash usually does its own thing so I can't see why Nintendo wouldn't allow Geno, especially since they have been made aware of the demand in the past.

D

Deleted member

To get away from Master Chief discussion, I must ask. What Mii Outfits do ya'll think will come with Geno? My personal bets are:
*Mallow (Super Mario RPG)
*Smithy (Super Mario RPG)
*Fawful (Mario & Luigi)
*Crono (Chrono Trigger)
*Chocobo (Final Fantasy)
*Sephiroth (Final Fantasy) + One Winged Angel

(Also, this is my 666th post. Hooray I guess)
I'm super late but:

Mallow (Hat)
Chocobo (Hat)
Tifa (Brawler)
Monster Hunter (Swordfighter)
Rathalos (Swordfighter)
Hat Kid (Swordfighter Premium) w/ Your Contract Has Expired

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

Yeah I understand why you decided to not bring this up in a video. I remember your source from last year saying that Banjo was in and we all know what happened after that incident. I can appreciate that you are being much more careful about this stuff so that people don't attack you like last time.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

The L was real, but at what cost?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I understand. Hopefully they both get in. This Fighter's Pass would be amazing with both Geno and Waluigi in it.

I figured the Giga leak would effect Nintendo's schedule as they would want to hunt down as many people responsible for leaking it as possible as well as people downloading the stuff online attempting to use it for hacks.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I still think given how insiders have been wrong about the last Direct, I think we still have some hope for some Smash news in the next few weeks, like on the week of the 14 for a potential example. I don't think we'll have to wait to the end of August for FP7 at the moment

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Geno and Waluigi would fit really well in the 2nd fighter pass. I think Min Min being the start kinda was a sign of "yeah there's still characters people WANT but it's probably not going to be the biggest names out there."

Also, it feels like at this point there's so much evidence and weird shenanigans going in Geno's favor at this point. It really does feel like it's time. Of course, it could just be a TON of coincidences, but if he does get in I have to assume that it's because the passion for the character has stood for so long.

I'm not personally into Geno that much but forums like this and just fanart and all that keep him in Nintendo's attention so props to y'all for keeping it going. I was a HUGE K. Rool guy back in 2015 and I probably would've given up if he didn't show up in the base roster of Ultimate lol

Powerman293

Smash Ace
People thinking Cacomallow confirmed as real because the file size limits for Ultimate modding JUST got removed. SMH.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone singlehandedly advanced Ultimate's modding capabilities to remove these barriers without sharing it with anyone just to post this image and mess with people.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can't imagine the **** show that's going to take place in the Smash community after the last fighter is announced. The reaction to the outcome for many people no matter who it ends up being will be worse then how people reacted to Bayonetta being the last newcomer in Smash 4 as Ultimate's last newcomer will probably be the last Smash newcomer we will get for about 10 years in the Ultimate Smash game no less. That's when I exit stage left before the biggest war in the Smash community's history starts.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Yeah iirc it was like 3 terrabytes or something of data from that one hacker dude and he shared the stuff with a bunch of others, whom have been slowly trickling stuff out on 4chan.

Maybe Nintendo isn’t fully aware of that, though, so while they got the dude who hacked them, they think the recent stuff may be from recent leakers/hackers within the company?

Or maybe they are aware and they‘ve just been very dedicated to finding who they think helped the leaker/hacker dude over the past two years...

edit: though, I suppose the people the hacker shared stuff with could be other employees, but you’d think it’d be friends and/or even strangers online...
It was 2tb and stolen 2 yrs ago. He was let off in court due to mental illness dictating he wouldn't survive in jail/didn't know the severity of what he did (severe autism, not even kidding about that), but he had already secretly spread it out among friends. They've been dealing it out in small doses. We've only received something like 10-30% of the total content they stole. It was all from the iQue servers in China which were not very secure and since we now know Nintendo holds onto literally everything, well... Supposedly Mario RPG stuff was part of it, but nobody knows if it's more than just the final version of the game ROM that was found already. People literally have to dig through files and try to find ways to open them correctly, so the "less obvious and popular" stuff gets overlooked.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I can't imagine the **** show that's going to take place in the Smash community after the last fighter is announced. The reaction to the outcome for many people no matter who it ends up being will be worse then how people reacted to Bayonetta being the last newcomer in Smash 4 as Ultimate's last newcomer will probably be the last Smash newcomer we will get for about 10 years in the Ultimate Smash game no less. That's when I exit stage left before the biggest war in the Smash community's history starts.
I doubt it will be that contentious. Unless it were another FE rep, chances are it'll be at least somewhat positively received.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
People thinking Cacomallow confirmed as real because the file size limits for Ultimate modding JUST got removed. SMH.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone singlehandedly advanced Ultimate's modding capabilities to remove these barriers without sharing it with anyone just to post this image and mess with people.
As a Cacomallow Team Possibly Real member, I wouldn’t be surprised at all were that the case. I don’t think anyone who believes it’s real feels it 100% can’t be faked, just that there wasn’t any evidence produced to indicate current modding at the time could produce a product like that. For me it’s one of those things that the only way I’m going to believe it was real or fake is if it does or doesn’t show up in a Mii Costume set.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Even if it is an amazing pick like Master Chief... it's still gonna be BAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom