• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Anyone else notice that we've basically gone from "Nintendo has a Direct that will melt everyone's faces off" to "a Direct is still coming but it won't be until September" to "2020 is literally a complete wash and don't expect anything new aside from ports and DLC until 2021" in roughly a week? Excuse me for being a bit incredulous to the idea that Nintendo's remaining 5 months of 2020 have gone completely up in smoke.
Yeah, it seems the insiders are just flumoxed, confused, and frustrated.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
While it's hard not to be a little disappointed in this confirmation, I can't exactly say I'm super surprised by this development; I have been touting that for a while that the pandemic affected Nintendo moreso than everyone initially realized. It's a big deal.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
To get away from Master Chief discussion, I must ask. What Mii Outfits do ya'll think will come with Geno? My personal bets are:
*Mallow (Super Mario RPG)
*Smithy (Super Mario RPG)
*Fawful (Mario & Luigi)
*Crono (Chrono Trigger)
*Chocobo (Final Fantasy)
*Sephiroth (Final Fantasy) + One Winged Angel

(Also, this is my 666th post. Hooray I guess)

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
If this was going on when CacoMallow happened? Yeah dead. This is happening now, however. I think this just strengthens CacoMallow a LOT more now.

Also, how did this fly under the radar for so long? lol
Isn't this a recent tweet? Why are people saying this is from a long time ago or applies to modding quite some time ago? Am I missing something?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Isn't this a recent tweet? Why are people saying this is from a long time ago or applies to modding quite some time ago? Am I missing something?
Oh yeah the tweet happened around July 21st of this year. I also think it was a hypothetical. IF this was posted around CacoMallow time, THEN it would have been bad.

Sorry if I was confusing.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
To get away from Master Chief discussion, I must ask. What Mii Outfits do ya'll think will come with Geno? My personal bets are:
*Fawful (Mario & Luigi)
*Crono (Chrono Trigger)
*Chocobo (Final Fantasy)

I think in the very least I would expect to see Mallow and Chocobo. If recent DLC costume packs are any pattern, I’m not sure I’d expect the rest of them to be Square / Enix related. So I’ll just take a random stab and say Hollow Knight premium, Chun Li, and Monster Hunter garb.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It was a recent tweet and it shows that modding is really picking up steam right now. For all we know some of these things were possible back when CacoMallow came out. Easily, somebody could figure out to get pass the file compression size to make the hats high quality.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
My apologies, I read things wrong. Distract, no excuse. Oof.

But this really does add some credibility to CacoMallow since no one was able to either replicate it entirely OR even do something similar with the same quality. I still won't say 100%, but man, it does seem add to it being more real.

This was how it went before:

A "It's totally fake/moded, easy to do."

B "Ok, show us."

-poor quality/not full details-

A "That isn't the same quality or does what the CacoHelmet or Mallowhat does, make it 1:1."

B "Nah, too hard to do, not going to invest in making those 1:1 replicates. people aren't interesting in doing those items anyway."

A "Ok, how about some other hats and helmets, different games/characters, but have the same quality?"

B "Nah. Too hard. But it's totally doable."

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
*Fawful (Mario & Luigi)
*Crono (Chrono Trigger)
*Chocobo (Final Fantasy)

I will post 7 (The lucky Number)
-Mallow
-Smithy
-Chocobo
-Geno
- 2B
-Crono
-Sephiroth

axel_

Smash Journeyman
*Fawful (Mario & Luigi)
*Crono (Chrono Trigger)
*Chocobo (Final Fantasy)

Pretty much the same, but a lot less grandiose.

Mallow Hat
Smithy w/ Exor Swordfighter Costume
Lazy Shell Armor
Chocobo Hat
2B Swordfighter Costume

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Pretty much the same, but a lot less grandiose.

Mallow Hat
Smithy w/ Exor Swordfighter Costume
Lazy Shell Armor
Chocobo Hat
2B Swordfighter Costume
IMO, Smithy should be brawler or in case in which is Swordfighter should be his hammer, the idea of Exor is being HUGE so don't make sense as a normal sword

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Maybe this is all apart of a bigger plan from Nintendo. Confuse everyone then BAM! knock everyone off their chairs in a surprise presentation/direct. lol ( hoping thats the case)
If you can be bothered, look back a few pages and I explain (using slightly off topic reasoning, be warned) that this is exactly what Nintendo is doing. Basically, they are playing us like a dang fiddle because that's the logical way for them to see this pandemic into next year.

Whether this is morally right is another matter.

It isn't.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
My apologies, I read things wrong. Distract, no excuse. Oof.

But this really does add some credibility to CacoMallow since no one was able to either replicate it entirely OR even do something similar with the same quality. I still won't say 100%, but man, it does seem add to it being more real.

This was how it went before:

A "It's totally fake/moded, easy to do."

B "Ok, show us."

-poor quality/not full details-

A "That isn't the same quality or does what the CacoHelmet or Mallowhat does, make it 1:1."

B "Nah, too hard to do, not going to invest in making those 1:1 replicates. people aren't interesting in doing those items anyway."

A "Ok, how about some other hats and helmets, different games/characters, but have the same quality?"

B "Nah. Too hard. But it's totally doable."
The whole replicating it thing, to me, does seem like to much. I compare it to someone getting their first tattoo and hands the artist a picture and says "I want this exacly"...Not a smart move.

However, doing something CLOSE to the idea is not bad. Gives the artist some wiggle room. BUT the modders back then did not do that. So that I can agree with about back then.

Genome

Smash Cadet
Don´t lose hope for Geno even if he isn´t FP7 or FP8.. It´s only worth worrying if we are within the last two and Geno is yet to be revealed. Geno could be last for what we know. Just relax.
There's nothing to suggest it wasn't planned, just cancelled due to corona.

And, even then, K. Rool is a fan pick that wasn't revealed at E3. This isn't anything to worry about.
I don’t see any reason why they wouldn’t want to have Geno as Fighter 7. This reminds me when people were expecting a huge 3rd party reveal like Joker to kickstart the pass and the pass started with ARMS. If the Mallow and Smithy costumes from last summer are indeed real, this suggest Geno is early in the pass.
Nintendo probably had their E3 showing planned in January. Even though they don't do a press conference like they once did, they have a lot of physical props on site every year to make it a meaningful spectacle for the people who show up. They still did PAX East (which is honestly surprising), which should go to show how far in advance they have things planned and how last minute cancellations have to be to actually stop them.
Why wouldn't they? The pass needs a big seller (no offense to Min Min but she ain't it) and Geno fits the bill.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...53812/Screenshot_2020-07-29_at_4.09.12_PM.png
Thanks Genobros :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, it seems the insiders are just flumoxed, confused, and frustrated.
That's basically where I'm at. It feels like the exact opposite of the VGAs where people had enormous expectations and then virtually nothing of interest happened. It practically makes my eyes boil in my own skull that none of these guys can just say "I don't know what's going on" because they were juked by the July Direct. I'm kind of getting burned out on logging on each day to see a new wave of anxiety and depression because someone said something potentially negative. Can we like... Get to the end of the summer before we all just decide that everything is ruined forever, God bless this ****in' mess, amen?

MattX20

Smash Hero
That's basically where I'm at. It feels like the exact opposite of the VGAs where people had enormous expectations and then virtually nothing of interest happened. It practically makes my eyes boil in my own skull that none of these guys can just say "I don't know what's going on" because they were juked by the July Direct. I'm kind of getting burned out on logging on each day to see a new wave of anxiety and depression because someone said something potentially negative. Can we like... Get to the end of the summer before we all just decide that everything is ruined forever, God bless this ****in' mess, amen?
This so much. It's tiring to say the least

TTF

Smash Journeyman
@Droodle Let me repeat myself. Before this year, literally no one thought Master Chief was a realistic choice. I remember back in 2006/2007 when Chief was brought up as a "joke" like Cloud or Crash. Someone like Khan suddenly being like "mmm, that could possibly happen," is a very big deal. It's a massive shift in tone when an industry professional takes the possibility seriously when the "correct" answer until very recently was to look someone dead in the eye and tell them to go **** themselves.
Honestly, the idea of the Halo theme playing while fighting Mario, Cloud, Banjo-Kazooie, & Geno sounds so hype it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Maybe it's just me, but i've never seen mods look that official in Smash before.
I think that's the main reason I'm leaning towards them being real, tbh. Sure, people have shown that it is possible to mod mii costumes, but I've yet to see anything that looks nearly as good, especially 8 months ago. Maybe I'm just not looking at the right places or something, but since Cacomallow comes with a video and has other oddities (the frozen clock timer like the original Ken image leak, that was real), I'm leaning towards it real and will keep that stance until they're either announced or the last Fighter in Pass 2 comes and goes.

Obviously if someone's gonna go all in and make a convincing fake, they would be smart to make the 2:30 clock timer frozen like a previous leak, but enough seems to make sense that until proven false I'm not going to discredit it. And to that effect, along with the Geno costume presently missing, probably the most convincing details as to why I think Geno is still possible.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ok, I don’t usually talk about my connections publicly but I feel like this needs to be said since there does seem to be confusion in both our speculation spaces and insider circles.

There are a LOT of corporate shakeups from across nearly all of the different offices around the world happening at Nintendo. The biggest reason is there is a major investigation going on with the basis of Corporate Espionage due to the leaking of all this classified content that has appeared on the web as of late. They know who the guy is that has been releasing it and has already filed a lawsuit against him but it isn’t stopping there because it is theorized by people inside the company that it was an employee who helped or allowed someone to do this.

Everyone from top to bottom is being investigated because of this. So, even though all this stuff coming out on older games is cool, it’s also effecting Nintendo and it’s releases.

So yeah, there’s that. Nintendo news is being pushed back constantly as more and more people are getting investigated.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Ok, I don’t usually talk about my connections publicly but I feel like this needs to be said since there does seem to be confusion in both our speculation spaces and insider circles.

There are a LOT of corporate shakeups from across nearly all of the different offices around the world happening at Nintendo. The biggest reason is there is a major investigation going on with the basis of Corporate Espionage due to the leaking of all this classified content that has appeared on the web as of late. They know who the guy is that has been releasing it and has already filed a lawsuit against him but it isn’t stopping there because it is theorized by people inside the company that it was an employee who helped or allowed someone to do this.

Everyone from top to bottom is being investigated because of this. So, even though all this stuff coming out on older games is cool, it’s also effecting Nintendo and it’s releases.

So yeah, there’s that. Nintendo news is being pushed back constantly as more and more people are getting investigated.
Man, that isn't fair. Reasonable, maybe, but not fair. Didn't know you had connections, by the way.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
The whole replicating it thing, to me, does seem like to much. I compare it to someone getting their first tattoo and hands the artist a picture and says "I want this exacly"...Not a smart move.

However, doing something CLOSE to the idea is not bad. Gives the artist some wiggle room. BUT the modders back then did not do that. So that I can agree with about back then.
Yeah, that was my second thing to do since people didn't want to replicate it. So, I said fine, then do a mii hat and helmet at the same quality and shares the same characteristics that is shared. (Mallow Hat's visual quality, jiggle AND sits at an angle on the mii | Caco helmet without the "sideburn" clipping, quality, etc.)

The response: Crickets or "Nah, not going to do it but it is totally doable."

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Are we talking leaks in general or the source code stuff?

Powerman293

Smash Ace
"Wait, Nintendo insiders were egotistical maniacs?"

"Always have been."

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Are we talking leaks in general or the source code stuff?
The source code stuff I would wager. But I’m sure everyone who has sources that links back to a Nintendo Employee or otherwise isn’t going to be getting anything at all for a while because it could lead to that person losing their job. Everyone is being investigated. Leaks will likely be few and far between for a while after this.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Back in the brawl days, Mallow, Geno, Cloud, Sora, Crash, Banjo, and Master Chief were all fantasies. Pipe dreams. No one would take you seriously if they were on your wish list. Hell, they would never consider Sonic before he was announced. Between Smash Wii U/3DS and Smash Ultimate we have had these "Fan Rules" broken with almost every character reveal. I'm really baffled at how there are still nay sayers after we have received certain characters. They are not exceptions to the rules or special cases. The only rule that seems to be left is no 4th party characters. With that, I'm looking forward to Geno, Crash, and Master Chief entering Smash
I'll second this and say that even though everybody expected Sonic, nobody really expected Sonic. The shock of Snake making it into the game was so great that a lot of us thought it was a one-time deal for third parties to enter, and anybody who suggested Sonic was pretty much attacked for being completely insane to think that they would do it again. Back then it was pretty popular of an opinion to say that the game was strictly first party. And even after Sonic was added, a lot of people were convinced he was a rush job (because he was, he actually likely delayed the game) And that there was no way in hell we were getting more third parties after that. That's why Mega Man was such a shocker because he was the next big character everybody wanted. After that, we got Pac-Man and then all bets were off moving forward. How times have changed....

My point is that Master Chief is a very real possibility at this point. There are tons of grown adults now who grew up on Halo and see it as THE classic game. It's their OOT or Super Mario Brothers 3 or Symphony of the Night, and Sakurai (who just came out against console wars actually) definitely knows this. As much as I hate to admit it because I also think it's kind of dumb personally, Master Chief is dumb likely right now. Like, definitely in the top 10 very likely characters.

And to avoid the mods, Geno falls under this too. we have been given so many hints for characters that have turned out to be real, why would this not be different? I think Geno and Master Chief are both high possibilities at this point

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

Nintendo is stupid to “push things back” while investigating these matters because only more stuff is going to trickle out. I can see how this helps them figure out who is the one leaking stuff, but it hurts their public image even more.

The way I see it, it is solely Nintendo’s fault that “leakers” are even becoming a thing in the past few years because they’ve been less and less transparent about their plans/release schedules and with Directs becoming increasingly rare. It’s more interesting for the general population to follow “insiders” who tease **** that may never happen than a video game company who refuses to show off literally any of their video games.

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
*Fawful (Mario & Luigi)
*Crono (Chrono Trigger)
*Chocobo (Final Fantasy)

I think your first two guesses and Chocobo would definitely make it. I have this hunch though that they're going to straight up continue to ignore the Mario and Luigi games because Nintendo has a weird bitterness towards them that I've never been able to put my finger on, so Fawful is out. Crono would be super hype but I'm not holding my breath. And I don't think we'll get Sephiroth, though it's likely. I do think we'll get Tifa and/or Barrett instead. There was a sketchy 4chan "leak"a while ago that said they would be coming with Geno. Nobody really talked about it because it probably was fake, but it put the idea in my head. There's also a chance we get Bravely Default, Octopath or Mana costumes. Plus anything from IPs they know own, ike Lara Croft or anything Taito (Bub and Bob?). I also would like to see Moogle, Black Mage or White Mage getups, but I also won't hold my breath for any of those. Square is just too stingy so I don't think we'll still get much acknowledgment of their IPs outside what's directly involved in Smash already.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Nintendo is stupid to “push things back” while investigating these matters because only more stuff is going to trickle out. I can see how this helps them figure out who is the one leaking stuff, but it hurts their public image even more.

The way I see it, it is solely Nintendo’s fault that “leakers” are even becoming a thing in the past few years because they’ve been less and less transparent about their plans/release schedules and with Directs becoming increasingly rare. It’s more interesting for the general population to follow “insiders” who tease **** that may never happen than a video game company who refuses to show off literally any of their video games.
I'm a little inclined to agree on this point: if Nintendo were more open about their plans, especially in the midst of what happened this year, audiences would've been a lot more forgiving. The longer they hold information back, the worse it gets as demonstrated by how overwhelmingly disliked the partners showcase was.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I'll second this and say that even though everybody expected Sonic, nobody really expected Sonic. The shock of Snake making it into the game was so great that a lot of us thought it was a one-time deal for third parties to enter, and anybody who suggested Sonic was pretty much attacked for being completely insane to think that they would do it again. Back then it was pretty popular of an opinion to say that the game was strictly first party. And even after Sonic was added, a lot of people were convinced he was a rush job (because he was, he actually likely delayed the game) And that there was no way in hell we were getting more third parties after that. That's why Mega Man was such a shocker because he was the next big character everybody wanted. After that, we got Pac-Man and then all bets were off moving forward. How times have changed....

My point is that Master Chief is a very real possibility at this point. There are tons of grown adults now who grew up on Halo and see it as THE classic game. It's their OOT or Super Mario Brothers 3 or Symphony of the Night, and Sakurai (who just came out against console wars actually) definitely knows this. As much as I hate to admit it because I also think it's kind of dumb personally, Master Chief is dumb likely right now. Like, definitely in the top 10 very likely characters.

And to avoid the mods, Geno falls under this too. we have been given so many hints for characters that have turned out to be real, why would this not be different? I think Geno and Master Chief are both high possibilities at this point
Exactly. I was a Sonic supporter, and after Snake is the only time like it felt that he had a sliver of a chance. When it actually happened? The whole site went down! It was crazy to think that Sonic the Hedgehog was going to be in a Nintendo game!

I joined Smashboards soon after that, and immediately jumped on the Geno bandwagon. My username has changed since then, but I have always supported Geno. Chief was always a pipe dream of mine, but I honestly didn't think he had an honest shot until I saw that Jiggy bounce by. Been all aboard that train since.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
If they put bl**dy Master Chief, whos series has not once, briefly appeared in a Nintendo console, it's officially a Video Games Hall of Fame and not a Nintendo All-Stars. Snake, Cloud, Master Chief, next step is James Bond.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Also, is the team that deals with legal investigations really part of the same team that creates Directs and releases information to the public? I get that they need to contain their confidential content, but if people are for the most part as far as we know working remotely, it seems like only a few people would need to be involved / cleared.

*shrug* I don’t pretend to know how that stuff works but I do tech support at a law firm and I know our attorneys aren’t the ones creating the promotional videos and content that goes on our portal and website, Marketing is.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace

In addition to possibly validating the Cacomallow info, this could explain the Mario remaster rumors and why the insiders are pissed! They had correct info and Nintendo decided "Nah, screw you all!"

Is this list material?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Can someone clear this up for me? Why is there no VC on the Switch??

VC has been a feature of every Nintendo console since the Wii, including handhelds, so I don't understand why they would remove a feature that a lot of people love and didn't hurt anyone. I get the NES and SNES apps are incentives to buy the Online Service, but these apps barely give us any games compared to the VC, and they're exclusively NES and SNES.

The fact that you can't play N64, Game Boy and DS games on the Switch is mind boggling. Why can't I play EarthBound on my Switch?! Is EarthBound too powerful for the Switch to handle?! :mad::mad:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

These big leaks are currently the closest thing we have to some interesting Nintendo-related news. So if anything, the big leaks should've been incentive for Nintendo to announce their holiday plans sooner, to take eyes off of the leaks and put them right back on some official Nintendo news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom