• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , you know what, I’m done...

Geno is in. If I’m wrong. I don’t care! Time to just have fun with this. I can’t sleep anyway tonight since I’m on kitten duty, so let’s gooooooooo!

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Anyone thinking of foregoing sleep to wait for an announcement... don't do that. It is never fun to spend a large amount of time running on fumes because you decided to skip sleeping to wait for a thing; I say this as someone who tried staying up for as long as possible just to watch a 24/7 Bilibili stream of Trails of Cold Steel IV back when it released in Japan (well, more like broke street date.) Last thing anyone wants is to feel like absolute ****, deal with painful headaches, and possibly go insane.
I was thinking about it, but believe it or not the last time I did that...we got Byleth the next morning.... :/ I hope nobody actually comes out and says who it is..assuming there is a Smash announcement at all. Geno, Waluigi, Crash, and Sora...would all be welcome additions.

Last edited:

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
Anyone thinking of foregoing sleep to wait for an announcement... don't do that. It is never fun to spend a large amount of time running on fumes because you decided to skip sleeping to wait for a thing; I say this as someone who tried staying up for as long as possible just to watch a 24/7 Bilibili stream of Trails of Cold Steel IV back when it released in Japan (well, more like broke street date.) Last thing anyone wants is to feel like absolute ****, deal with painful headaches, and possibly go insane.
only reason im forgoing sleep is that extreme rules on wwe is on tonight so xD

Droodle

Smash Lord
I agree with Fatman that this direct is going to be a big one for a lot of people even if its not just for Smash. I'm like 99% sure about one of the games being shown off tomorrow (not F-Zero), and I think people are going to be pleased. I ddon't know anything else though. I'll just post my predictions for the direct again, just so I can laugh at how good/bad I did.

The likely (practically confirmed):
Smash announcement: I think it'll be a decently big/speculated character. I'm not going to lock into Geno 100%, but he would fit the bill. Could also be someone else too. September release.

Pikmin 3 Deluxe: It's been heavily discussed already, most people think it's Nintendo's next "big" title, likely come with new content too. It would be great if they end with a teaser for Pikmin 4. I think it'll come around September/October.

Bravely Default 2 Trailer with Release Date + Demo dropping soon after. Releases around August/September.

Pokemon DLC trailer: Releases September.

Doom Eternal Switch Trailer, comes out in October.

No More Heroes 3 Trailer, comes out in October

Super Mario World Deluxe: Releases December

Mario 3D Collection: Releases November

A couple of smaller scale Japanese titles like Ys, Trails, Atelier, being shown off. Ports from 3rd parties as well.

The possibles (may or may not be announced around this time):
Maybe a teaser to Mario Odyssey 2: What better way to celebrate the year of Mario?

Mario Sports: Copyrights were found, and it seems completely logical to do.

Sonic (New game/s): They were actually meant to show something like this back in March. But delayed it to SXSW, however due to the virus they had to delay it further to an undisclosed date. Nothing else has come out about the news so far. Next year is Sonic's anniversary and I have a good feeling we are going to see a game reveal at the direct (maybe even a couple). I mean Nintendo and Sonic go pretty hand in hand nowadays oddly enough. I think the current rumors are Sonic Mania 2 and something akin to a Adventure style sonic game.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Jugdral. I know Fatman says that he thinks the next FE game will be a 6/7 remake, but I just don't think that's the case. It doesn't make any sense when 7 is already playable in the West, and most of the fanbase would prefer a 4 remake to a 6 one currently. Putting 6/7 together would be pretty hard to do unless they are entirely separated too, because the plot for those two isn't "naturally" meant to flow together.
I just can't see them skipping Japan's favorite Fire Emblem in favor of FE 6. Especially when Three Houses took a ton of inspiration from FE4, and the crest mechanic is similar to Holy Blood. Releasing 2021?

Xenoblade Chronicles 3/Monolith's new game: The core development of Xenoblade 2 was finished back in 2017, and both Torna and Xenoblade DE were done by a "smaller" team. Takahashi has stated he wants to return to X, but I think it's more likely that we'll get XC 3 before that. He's said that he wants to make a different kind of Xenoblade too. Regardless, Monolith was hiring since 2017 for a new project and it's implied it wasn't BOTW 2, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing that game shown of soon. 2021?

Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory: May or may not skip, it's still scheduled to come out in 2020 though. Depends on if Disney want to show it off in a direct or not.

1-2 new games from mid-tier Nintendo franchises. Maybe F-Zero and ???

SMT V Teaser/Trailer. Pushing it, but it's possible. 2021 release?

Bayonetta 3 Teaser/Trailer. Same as above.

Monster Hunter Switch: Capcom has said they want to create another Monster Hunter game for the "portable" audience (the Portable series of games not really a portable Monster Hunter). I think a while back a ton of decently credible people also said something akin to MH on the Switch will happen, but that was a couple years ago so it may be bunk.

Unlikely (I don't expect them, though some of these are hovering between here and possible):
2nd Smash fighter. I know, I know we traditionally have 2 fighters revealed every E3 direct; but technically speaking this isn't a E3 direct. Could go in possible, but I don't expect it to happen. Taking things one at a time.

BOTW 2: Debating on if I should put this in possible or not. But I think it's more likely that we don't see it this direct, just because I'm sure Nintendo wants to focus on Mario as their "big" thing for this direct. If it does get shown off it is 100% going to come in 2021, and I'm going to bet on the second half. I think Next year is Zelda's milestone anniversary too, so making next year the "year of Zelda" would make sense.

Metroid Prime 4/Trilogy/5: Don't expect these to be shown off here.

Possible Persona 4 Golden port? It recently came out on the PC, maybe it'll make it's way to the Switch? Wouldn't say that it's super likely either way.

KH collection: Debating on putting this in possible or not, there's a lot of people expecting it. But no one credible has stated that they are coming. We are getting another game in the series though, and it would make a lot of sense for the collection to come to Switch before then considering they released them on Xbox already.

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
View attachment 279304

I'm so... Angry... I just want to enjoy this last day. I really do but I kept thinking about the last 20 months I just want to explode. Childhood anger management is unraveling and I just want to hold onto my peace of mind one more day. I SHOULD be happy. I SHOULD be estatic but I'm seething right now because I managed to keep a promise to this community and 7 year old me about Geno and I literally can't have one day of peace. It's maddening and I'm beside myself and trying, TRYING not to blow it this close to the finish line. This means the world to me and the fact that I'm still having to fight people is SURREAL and I just want to enjoy this final day... Please, PLEASE! Let me enjoy this final day...
Im sorry Fatman. Let me take the L. I lashed out but i dont have any hate toward you. I love you and your posts, Please be okay =/

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Great, a Nintendo direct hasn't even been announced and now there are people who think we're getting a direct tomorrow with a Golden Sun remake, a new F-Zero game, a Mario 3D collection, and Geno as FP7
Golden sun remake is more likely than people think tbh...

Same for Geno in smash,

CB Johnny

Smash Rookie
only reason im forgoing sleep is that extreme rules on wwe is on tonight so xD
Speaking of... I wonder which of those lovable nerds in the WWE and AEW locker rooms want Geno in. Has any wrestlers ever chimed in on that sort of thing? My money is on Xavier, Cody, or Kenny marking out about a Geno reveal.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone vouch for how credible this guy is?
eh its kinda 50/50

Speaking of... I wonder which of those lovable nerds in the WWE and AEW locker rooms want Geno in. Has any wrestlers ever chimed in on that sort of thing? My money is on Xavier, Cody, or Kenny marking out about a Geno reveal.
i mean kenny could know xD

Last edited by a moderator:

QQS

Smash Lord
63351ED6-0BE9-4E04-9384-67B95CAF3E4C.jpeg

FAC53C39-E4FA-4271-B485-17986C6D543F.jpeg

I don’t usually believe all I read but just sharing this amazing Geno art and potential reveal I found in Twitter.

The hype is real. Not only because of Gamespot or the 20th, but BECAUSE 20 years of demand + Spirits do NOT deconfirm + all the Takedowns + Square still working on Smash + the Missing costume + Sakurai’s recognition + The amazing moveset and design Geno will have and everything!

This final repost I made while ago (Credits to NibrocRock on Geno last pic used here):

6686C537-FE97-4C9C-882E-FAE0910B7F8F.jpeg

He is happening 100% playable for me. Don’t know when, but he is IN.

GENO FALLS LIKE A SHOOTING STAR!

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I kinda get where fat is coming from. I'll never understand what it was like having lived through the aftermath of the insider stuff but as someone who just watched their entire life collapse before their very eyes in just a few short days before the "big one" I've been far to busy trying to pick up the pieces to really care what goes on in game spec too deeply, and the fact that about half a day from now I might just sit through a geno reveal trailer with zero enthusiasm after everything I've been through and that's happened up to this point genuinely depresses me.

Guess what I'm saying is, feel free to hype yourselves up as hard as you can and enjoy it for all you can, because you have absolutely nothing to lose by doing so, believe me.

Also if your reading this Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , thanks for everything you've done for this community, even though not a single person in the audience today understands the full meaning of that statement, you do, and you owe it to yourself to reap the rewards more than anyone I know. So do whatever you have to enjoy it because geno announcements don't come around everyday y'know ;)

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Basically I've decided to do the most rational thing a married 32 year old adult man can do, drink beer and eat salmon lox until I stop feeling angry. I'm just processing a lot right now and I'd prefer to get this out now instead of tomorrow. That said, just... Enjoy this. Literally 15 years of work between god knows how many Geno fans around the world potentially made tomorrow possible and it's pretty cool, putting it mildly.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
In my opinion, yeah. A ton of trusted leakers are talking about how it’s gonna be on this one day, and even more are implying that it’s Geno. So much so that a ton of people are convinced that it’s happening tomorrow.
Honestly, I think this would be on the same level as Smash 4’s Rayman leak.
To be fair, no insiders were backing the Rayman leak nor the Grinch Leak, besides PapaGenos thinking Grinch Leak could be real after hearing Banjo would be DLC and he theorized about him maybe being in base instead, and MysticDistance hearing stuff about characters though nothing concrete (both were about Grinch Leak).

I don’t really remember what insiders said about the Rayman Leak, I was younger at the time and all I remember between anything I may have seen and what people have said in recent years was just Ubisoft seemed a bit hyped by doing something, then ArtsyOmni came out revealing he made it as a fake leak to boost his Smashified series he was starting, then Ubisoft went back on whatever it was they did.

In fact, regarding Grinch Leak again, most insiders denied it and wanted people to stop speculating about it. Even GameXplain didn’t want anything to do with it and so they did a short video with reasons against it that didn’t make sense.

If the insiders turn out to just be trolling this time, woo boy, it ain’t gonna be pretty for them nor their cred; I highly doubt they’re trolling, though, just that they could be wrong. That would be strange though with how many are going at it...

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Basically I've decided to do the most rational thing a married 32 year old adult man can do, drink beer and eat salmon lox until I stop feeling angry. I'm just processing a lot right now and I'd prefer to get this out now instead of tomorrow. That said, just... Enjoy this. Literally 15 years of work between god knows how many Geno fans around the world potentially made tomorrow possible and it's pretty cool, putting it mildly.
I’m about to have my Manhattan soon...

Griselda

Smash Lord

They always out here kidding at the last possible second, huh? :101:
You know, I wonder why so many people would suddenly start kidding around about a topic that's clearly gotten people's interest.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice thank you for everything you have done for the community! I imagine you are one tired samurai and you’re ready for your journey to come to a close. Just know that the majority of us love your insight, but your wit and humour are also highly endearing! You are certainly an entertaining member of this community! Enjoy the lox!

Last edited:

Xehanort1372019

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 279321

View attachment 279323
I don’t usually believe all I read but just sharing this amazing Geno art and potential reveal I found in Twitter.

The hype is real. Not only because of Gamespot or the 20th, but BECAUSE 20 years of demand + Spirits do NOT deconfirm + all the Takedowns + Square still working on Smash + the Missing costume + Sakurai’s recognition + The amazing moveset and design Geno will have and everything!

This final repost I made while ago (Credits to NibrocRock on Geno last pic used here):

View attachment 279325

Can you send a link to the picture you found on Twitter? I just wanna look more.

domriver

Smash Lord
why are so many insiders hinting at Geno - then a few tred back saying lolz jk. or im just playing. Or Keep Calm.
WHAT IS HAPPENINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG?! And may i state the obvious NO DIRECT ANNOUNCEMENT YET. Really we are gonna wait for 9pm in Pacific time for the possible announcement?
Can you send a link to the picture you found on Twitter? I just wanna look more.
The Picture in question is just a reverse shot of another. For a minute i thought it was new but its not.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
why are so many insiders hinting at Geno - then a few tred back saying lolz jk. or im just playing. Or Keep Calm.
WHAT IS HAPPENINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG?!
Innocent jokes with cruel reprimands, lol. They're just making fun of the situation.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
I felt like saving this for when this potential Direct was officially revealed, but I decided to do it now.

I like to think I’m a rather analytical person. I like to look at things from multiple different angles and try my best not to immediately jump onto something. And I will always believe that no character getting into Smash is guaranteed or a lock. No matter how likely we think someone is, we can always be thrown a curve ball (Chrom in Smash 4 I think was the best example of this).

But now... it’s getting really hard not to get excited for Geno! He was already one of the frontrunners going into Pass 2, and now with both Min Min proofing Spirits are back on the table, AND everything that’s happened this last week, I really think he can be next.

This thread over the last week is the most fun I’ve ever had on this entire website! Which shows by how much more frequently I’ve been posting. It’s giving me major flashbacks to my time lurking over the Banjo thread for months before his reveal, and that last week before E3 was just as wild as this thread is right now!

Even this rumoured Direct, while I didn’t believe it at first despite the creditable insiders backing it up, it’s been getting harder and harder for me to doubt it over this weekend. NONE of the insiders behind these Direct rumours have backed down ONCE, and now even one of them is giving times it could potentially be revealed at, mere hours before its supposed to happen. I’ve never seen such a strong group of people backing something like this despite the growing concerns after it wasn’t revealed Friday.

Regardless on if you think anything pointing towards Geno from this week means anything or not, from GameStop to potential insider teases, he was already looking great with his decade long fan popularity, Mii Costume continuing to be missing in action, Sakurai’s own like and consideration of the character, music takedowns, and Spirits not deconfirming.

Geno Gang. GenoBros. We got this next one boys. I’m really feeling it!

And if he’s not next in line, then we don’t give! We keep going until the very end!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
If the leak is right, what the actual **** is wrong with Nintendo? I cannot even fathom a reason to announce the equivalent of their E3 direct at midnight the night before. What is their marketing team smoking?

T2by4

Smash Lord
View attachment 279321

View attachment 279323

View attachment 279325

Cape is too plastic-y for Geno's cape. Definitely fake image. Still a cool trailer idea though.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
View attachment 279304

I'm so... Angry... I just want to enjoy this last day. I really do but I kept thinking about the last 20 months I just want to explode. Childhood anger management is unraveling and I just want to hold onto my peace of mind one more day. I SHOULD be happy. I SHOULD be estatic but I'm seething right now because I managed to keep a promise to this community and 7 year old me about Geno and I literally can't have one day of peace. It's maddening and I'm beside myself and trying, TRYING not to blow it this close to the finish line. This means the world to me and the fact that I'm still having to fight people is SURREAL and I just want to enjoy this final day... Please, PLEASE! Let me enjoy this final day...
I apologise if I may have contributed to this. I'm not going to even attempt to sugar coat that I disagree with some of your predictions. I think that contesting points with someone is a good way to get a better argument in the long run and that's kind of why I played devils advocate with some of your reasoning. I didn't narrowmindedly try to shut down points as I think some of your theory craft is cool.

But I digress, people opposing with points is completely fine. That's smash speculation in a nutshell. You are probably the epitome of character support bases. You are probably the most passionate guy I know in the community and that truly is awe inducing. The people who would rather be rude and ignorant and the folks from FAQS who make troll accounts just to p*** on Geno are just trolls and they shouldn't be listened to full stop. I'd just block the trolls straight away.

Either way, if you would prefer to leave the community for the betterment of yourself then you should if you truly believe it's best. I'd prefer you stay as im sure many others would but if you feel it's for the betterment of yourself then you should do so if you see fit. Everyone will be sad to see you go just due to how much of an impact you have had within the fanbase and honestly on speculation as a whole which is truly an admirable feat no matter how you slice it.

I would say so close not so far but it really is up to you.

I'd just like to thank you for the clear impact you have had on speculation and just your passion. If/when Geno does get in, you truly would have had a huge impact on it and all you have done is truly admirable. You would have shown that fan demand really is meaningful and those traits also boil over into real life which just shows the qualities of an exceptional person. I hope that you can see Geno revealed tomorrow or whenever and maybe we could see your reaction. I once again whole heartedly thank you.

I generally try to avoid soppy sort of posts like this but I feel like this should be done especially when we are so close to the finishing line

vivala

Smash Journeyman
https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1284997008516739072

So this almost certainly means literally nothing because people are allowed to play multiple games in an evening, but less than half an hour after Jeff Grub says those screen shots are just him playing SMRPG, we see him here not playing SMRPG.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

(like I said, almost definitely nothing)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
im tempted to do an endgame joke, but i dont wanna go that far xD
If it's "I am inevitable", remember what happened every time that Thanos said it haha.

I'm just going to play Bug Fables and plan out some material for work. I'm not going to stay up until midnight for a supposed announcement that might not even happen (even Kelios sounded uncertain, and he's stuck to his guns that a Direct's happening tomorrow) - I've got to get up early, so if a Direct gets announced, I'll read about it in the morning.

Last edited:

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
If it's "I am inevitable", remember what happened every time that Thanos said it haha.

I'm just going to play Bug Fables and plan out some material for work. I'm not going to stay up until midnight for a supposed announcement that might not even happen - I've got to get up early, so if a Direct gets announced, I'll read about it in the morning.
i was gonna say something like the "how many realities do we know geno is in smash" type xD but enjoy bug fables! i hear its excellent!

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
So like if Geno comes to Smash tomorrow does that mean the GameStop thing may have actually been a legitimate leak? Because if they were given that information for the Paper Mario ad and Geno's in the game tomorrow maybe they didn't coordinate the timing correctly and released it under the assumption the announcement already happened.

That whole thing hinges on who is released tomorrow (if any character is) though so I'm not holding my breath, but that'd be wild if GameStop started the whole thing.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So, in order for this Mini Direct to contain all this information, they would have to announce games and news every 23 seconds.

Hope they drank a massive amount of coffee beforehand.

Also, why is the user and guest amount in triple digits? Did we time travel to last night? I hate time travel.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
To be fair, no insiders were backing the Rayman leak not the Grinch Leak, besides PapaGenos thinking Grinch Leak could be real after hearing Banjo would be DLC and he theorized about him maybe being in base instead, and MysticDistance hearing stuff about characters though nothing concrete (both were about Grinch Leak).

I don’t really remember what insiders said about the Rayman Leak, I was younger at the time and all I remember between anything I may have seen and what people have said in recent years was just Ubisoft seemed a bit hyped by doing something, then ArtsyOmni came out revealing he made it as a fake leak to boost his Smashified series he was starting, then Ubisoft went back on whatever it was they did.

In fact, regarding Grinch Leak again, most insiders denied it and wanted people to stop speculating about it. Even GameXplain didn’t want anything to do with it and so they did a short video with reasons against it that didn’t make sense.

If the insiders turn out to just be trolling this time, woo boy, it ain’t gonna be pretty for them nor their cred; I highly doubt they’re trolling, though, just that they could be wrong. That would be strange though with how many are going at it...
I agree.
It doesn’t seem like they are all trolling, and it would also be strange if they all were just wrong about the same thing. But if it were one of those-
hoo boy

Fuzzy Pickles!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1409-9782-5984
So I've heard that Nazyrus teased that Fighter Pass 7 is coming very soon and that Geno might be getting in. Regardless of whenever or not we find out Geno is playable tomorrow, I might as well share my experience with him and Super Mario RPG.

I remember hearing all about Geno back when I was browsing pre-Brawl speculation in late 2007 and early 2008. Like most people, I was confused by why he was gaining so much popularity. In 2008 and to a lesser extent 2009, I still heard his name come up a lot in speculation but it all died down rather quickly. These years were the times when I first started talking on the Internet, primarily about Nintendo of course. I was always curious about playing the game but as I did not have a SNES at home, I had to wait for a release on the now defunct Wii Virtual Console. And released it did, as it was in North America the 250th title. That same month, I grabbed my Wii Point Cards and bought it. A large part of it was because I wanted to see what the big deal was about Geno and the game he came from.

As someone who was a fan of the first two Paper Mario games, I was impressed with the game. It was nice to see one of the first games where Mario and Bowser had to reluctantly team up in order to defeat a greater evil, something I like to see explored in Mario RPGs. Not to mention that it was one of the rare 3D games on the SNES; the fact the game even exist is a technological accomplishment in itself. It's also nice to see the enemies and bosses come in all shapes and sizes; I still remember facing off the Axem Rangers and Smithy at the end. Not to mention the composition by Yoko Shimomura is a masterpiece and I am not just talking about the sublime Forest Maze music that has a wonderful remix. I'm talking about stuff like the Armed Boss Theme. She manages to keep the upbeat, light-hearted scores that the Mario franchise is known for while at the same time brings in its serious moments that also honors great RPG scores of the time. Also, Mallow is a nice original character.

But we're here to talk about Geno. Name incorporating symbols, he is a very mysterious character but over time, I ended up wanting to know more about him as a character and what his role is. He also has cool powerups like Geno Whirl and I am personally fond of characters who have high attacks too. I used him in my party to defeat Smithy back when I played it in 2008.

I have wanted him for years and while he has never been at the top of my list, he's remains a lowkey wish list character. I, honestly, did not see him as likely even when his fan base made a huge resurrection. I'm still uncertain on whenever or not he actually gets in. But it's a nice feeling to get a character you want in Smash. For me, getting those is like pulling teeth. First was Mega Man in Smash 4, then King K. Rool in the base game of Ultimate, then Banjo in the first Fighter's Pass. We will see if Geno follows.

Hopefully tomorrow will give us our answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom