• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I felt like saving this for when this potential Direct was officially revealed, but I decided to do it now.

I like to think I’m a rather analytical person. I like to look at things from multiple different angles and try my best not to immediately jump onto something. And I will always believe that no character getting into Smash is guaranteed or a lock. No matter how likely we think someone is, we can always be thrown a curve ball (Chrom in Smash 4 I think was the best example of this).

But now... it’s getting really hard not to get excited for Geno! He was already one of the frontrunners going into Pass 2, and now with both Min Min proofing Spirits are back on the table, AND everything that’s happened this last week, I really think he can be next.

This thread over the last week is the most fun I’ve ever had on this entire website! Which shows by how much more frequently I’ve been posting. It’s giving me major flashbacks to my time lurking over the Banjo thread for months before his reveal, and that last week before E3 was just as wild as this thread is right now!

Even this rumoured Direct, while I didn’t believe it at first despite the creditable insiders backing it up, it’s been getting harder and harder for me to doubt it over this weekend. NONE of the insiders behind these Direct rumours have backed down ONCE, and now even one of them is giving times it could potentially be revealed at, mere hours before its supposed to happen. I’ve never seen such a strong group of people backing something like this despite the growing concerns after it wasn’t revealed Friday.

Regardless on if you think anything pointing towards Geno from this week means anything or not, from GameStop to potential insider teases, he was already looking great with his decade long fan popularity, Mii Costume continuing to be missing in action, Sakurai’s own like and consideration of the character, music takedowns, and Spirits not deconfirming.

Geno Gang. GenoBros. We got this next one boys. I’m really feeling it!

And if he’s not next in line, then we don’t give! We keep going until the very end!
I can't really say it any better myself, my guy. I said last night how this is reminiscent of how Banjo & Kazooie were before E3 and I recall someone saying that I was wrong and then I doubted my judgment.

...but yeah, no I'm certain now that the feeling isn't a coincidence. I echo your sentiments too. I'm feeling Geno now more than ever!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Even if Geno is announced as a playable character in Smash tomorrow, the Gamestop thing would still be a coincidence, in all likelihood. It's not the first time a rumour's popped up because someone misspoke or was mistaken - actors or company representatives have claimed that Raiden from Metal Gear and Rayman were going to be in Smash Bros., only for them to be mistaken or for them to have given a poorly worded response.

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Hey there, I just wanted to say that (as a European) I've never played Super Mario RPG before, however I often visited this thread and I think it's really cool how dedicated Geno's fanbase is. Especially in the last few days, due to the rumours, I got so interested that I decided to buy the game on the Virtual Console and I just started playing the game today and I absolutely love it <3

IMG_20200719_224045.jpg

The game hooked me so much that I played several hours in a row and I just got the 4th star and finally decided to take a break right now. I'm so glad I gave this game a chance and would really love to see him getting revealed tomorrow, fingers are crossed

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I feel like I don't even know where we're at anymore. Help me understand this and tell me if my timeline is screwed up:

- Naz says cryptic things hinting at a direct

- Rummy says "Naz knows its Geno" in discord

- Fatman says he trusts Naz n Rummy

- Naz says they were never talking about Geno at all and that their source is no longer getting Smash news

- No direct happens

- A direct "Could" be announced at midnight

- Fatman strongly implies we are in the end game to something very good, citing his trust in Naz and right now seems very on edge. OMy fault again man. Sorry)

_

So why do we still think Geno is in? The Grubb thing is obviously a joke. Am I missing anything? Because it seems like Naz has basically deconfirmed our hopes. Again, I may be missing something.

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
I know there's been a lot of back and forth with leaks and news and whatnot, but it really feels like things are coming to a head. The last few days have just felt different, like we're all barreling towards the endgame.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Jesus, I can't go collect masks in peace for a few hours without this thread blowing up yet again.

Umm, y'all. Not to freak out or anything, but take a look at this:

As much as I'd like to consider this our Shinobi moment, I'd wager this is just some idle chitchat between insiders and not an actual hint towards any characters.

Interesting development. Still not deadlocked on anything yet, I'm always anticipating a last-second turnaround. He's all but confirmed at this point.

I won't hype up for you guys until that Smash trailer starts and I see this ****

DK's mouth? That's what you'll be waiting for so you can get hype?
... well I can't blame you, it's a nice mouth.

idk about you guys, but this **** is getting ****ing exciting!!!
LET'S WISH FOR UPON THE STAR AND FINALLY GET OUR BOY IN SMASH!!!!
LET'S
****ING
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Okay Bone Boy, where?

If the leak is right, what the actual **** is wrong with Nintendo? I cannot even fathom a reason to announce the equivalent of their E3 direct at midnight the night before. What is their marketing team smoking?
Maybe this an apology to Europeans for Directs always being announced and premiered at **** times for them?

Zema

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to rain on the parade, but as someone who's wanted Geno in Smash since Brawl, I've been burnt enough times to know that lowering your expectations is probably for the best.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Hey there, I just wanted to say that (as a European) I've never played Super Mario RPG before, however I often visited this thread and I think it's really cool how dedicated Geno's fanbase is. Especially in the last few days, due to the rumours, I got so interested that I decided to buy the game on the Virtual Console and I just started playing the game today and I absolutely love it <3

View attachment 279327

The game hooked me so much that I played several hours in a row and I just got the 4th star and finally decided to take a break right now. I'm so glad I gave this game a chance and would really love to see him getting revealed tomorrow, fingers are crossed
That’d make a great Boxing Ring nickname.
Just “♥❕❔

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I feel like I don't even know where we're at anymore. Help me understand this and tell me if my timeline is screwed up:

- Naz says they were never talking about Geno at all and that their source is no longer getting Smash news

- No direct happens

- Fatman strongly implies we are in the end game to something very good, citing his trust in Naz and right now seems very on edge. OMy fault again man. Sorry)

_

So why do we still think Geno is in? The Grubb thing is obviously a joke. Am I missing anything? Because it seems like Naz has basically deconfirmed our hopes. Again, I may be missing something.
Naz did say someone they know heard Geno from their own sources, but it wasn’t something Naz could verify themself...

Though, we do have other things that could go in Geno’s favor, such as what PapaGenos said about Geno and Waluigi.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Man this Thread is really blowing up. I'm not a Big Geno Fan Like all you guys (Still think he's Cool), But this is Very Exciting, the Ride that is

We have 4 Hours until the Supposed announcement Right?

T2by4

Smash Lord
So in 3 hours 55 minutes at the time of this post, we should be getting the announcement. Let's see if this holds up well, by that point some leakers are probably gonna just come out to get the rep points, so if you don't want to be spoiled I would advise you leave at that point.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Interesting development. Still not deadlocked on anything yet, I'm always anticipating a last-second turnaround. He's all but confirmed at this point.

I won't hype up for you guys until that Smash trailer starts and I see this ****

Yep, I do get the feeling we're going to see this mouth again tomorrow.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 279327

I'm thrilled that the game continues to be enjoyed fresh by people even to this day. I'm happy that you're enjoying this lovely piece of Nintendo's history!

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
I haven’t felt this way since the Banjo Shinobi leak

I really should lower my expectations but seeing all these people talking can’t stop me rn

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Naz did say someone they know heard Geno from their own sources, but it wasn’t something Naz could verify themself...

Though, we do have other things that could go in Geno’s favor, such as what PapaGenos said about Geno and Waluigi.
How recently was this and can Naz's friend be trusted, do we know?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

- No direct happens

_

Polarthief Polarthief Give this man (?) the List™.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
If the announcement doesn’t end up coming at midnight, do you guys think it’s still happening?

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to be perfectly honest, one of my joke scenarios for a reveal would be if they triple-downed on this fake-out concept, but involved the Mii Costume from Sm4sh to bring it all the way home. I don't know a good way to tie that in with the DK scene, I was moreso thinking about if it was featuring the Mario cast, a la everybody's sleeping in the mansion from LM3 and, while attempting to rest in his bed, the green man gets a fright from something outside of his window. Perfect setting for a dead-faced Nintendo avatar placeholder character! :ultduckhunt:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Why would they do it for Geno though? The only reason they did it was the whole connection between Donkey Kong and Banjo through Rare and awknowledging that whole shared universe they have/had. Geno has nothing to do with any of those characters, who would even be the fake out at that point? Unless it's a certain someone else kinda-sorta connected to Banjo, but that's the kind of thing that would almost certainly get leaked by now, so it isn't that.

Last edited:

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
Honestly for the longest time I’ve always imagined a trailer revolving around Mario facing an enemy of some kind (maybe like hero’s trailer instead of fighting Dharkon’s Forces they’re fighting Galeem’s?) either way later in the trailer it shows Mario isn’t fighting alone but with Peach and Bowser

Of course when they’re being overwhelmed a figure saves them with a Beam attack and that shadowy figure is revealed to be Geno and they all join forces to take down the enemies

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm going to be perfectly honest, one of my joke scenarios for a reveal would be if they triple-downed on this fake-out concept, but involved the Mii Costume from Sm4sh to bring it all the way home. I don't know a good way to tie that in with the DK scene, I was moreso thinking about if it was featuring the Mario cast, a la everybody's sleeping in the mansion from LM3 and, while attempting to rest in his bed, the green man gets a fright from something outside of his window. Perfect setting for a dead-faced Nintendo avatar placeholder character! :ultduckhunt:
I have enough scotch ale in my guts to basically say that one of contacts told me the other day that the DK fake out scenario was going to be done at least one more time. Like I keep saying, it's going to be a fun day tomorrow.

Dan

Smash Lord
All I wanna know is why are all these people dropping subtle and cryptic hints at Geno and then backing off.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Tbf even with the list I personally am not quite convinced. No leakers have officially come out and said he's in. I'm getting a strong sense of dejavu and getting the feeling we're putting too many eggs in one basket. I know in you're previous post you said you've worked everything up to this point, but, dude, if it doesn't happen tomorrow that's not gonna look good. Some people on twitter have joked about smrpg references and said it was joke and that's about it. Nazy said he was only building hype for FP7.

I'm just saying ya'll need to hype responsibly. We don't have an official concrete answer, and until someone reliable actually no kidding comes out and say it, we gotta chill. Seriously, i'm worried for ya'll, I want Geno, but we're getting way to overconfident and we're going to get made fun of and mocked for this exact reason. It happened in early ultimate, post ultimate, grinch era, and now this. This is REALLY gonna look bad if we get burnt out yet again.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
How recently was this and can Naz's friend be trusted, do we know?
What PapaGenos said was last week I think; he heard something that made it sound very likely we’re getting either Geno or Waluigi, and possibly both - technically others as well, but they were characters that seemed like they weren’t happening due to some stuff, idk.

What Nazyrus said is right here:
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-3022#post-24021777

He’s not part of his friend’s circle of insiders though, which is why he can’t verify the info as trustworthy himself.

Of course, PolarThief has The List™️ with Geno evidence, but I don’t have the link myself. edit: nvm he has arrived.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I can admit that my geno animation may not be ready by tomorrow due to the fact that I may have gone too far with the storyboarding (its a 3 minute animation after all) but I wanted to make it to showcase the personal journey I have gone through with the character Geno over the past 13 years. Let me just say that its been a wild ride for me and the fact it could end tonight leaves me with a lot of mixed feelings. This whole week has been a roller coaster, heres hoping we get a full reveal soon at midnight if the rumors are true!

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Lmao, imagine it actually is Mallow or something and that’s why all these leakers are being super vague. I’d die laughing.

Hollowleggend

Smash Rookie
I kinda wish I was at home at my PC, I could change my profile pic to my Geno Butt-Kicking Hyperdrive image. I should be home Monday just in time for the direct though. I’m currently staying with my grandparents, which I do every weekend, we have a good time.

Also it’s 3 AM and the hype has made me not want to sleep and really want to sleep at the same time.
i feel you man

Polarthief

Smash Lord
PolarThief has The List™️
uwu~

But yeah, Geno's in. ShadowEdgy tweeted about it saying he's in, Grubb and Imran doing a tiny back and forth and Grubb backpedaling saying "lol jk I'm just playing it guys"; there's no way. He's in.

Enjoy the announcement in 3h:40m and the direct in 13h:40m. I know I will.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Jesus, I can't go collect masks in peace for a few hours without this thread blowing up yet again.

As much as I'd like to consider this our Shinobi moment, I'd wager this is just some idle chitchat between insiders and not an actual hint towards any characters.

DK's mouth? That's what you'll be waiting for so you can get hype?
... well I can't blame you, it's a nice mouth.

Okay Bone Boy, where?

Maybe this an apology to Europeans for Directs always being announced and premiered at **** times for them?
Still, you'd think they'd go with midnight yesterday instead. Most people in my time zone would probably not even see the announcement before the direct airs.

link2702

Smash Champion
Why would they do it for Geno though? The only reason they did it was the whole connection between Donkey Kong and Banjo through Rare and awknowledging that whole shared universe they have/had. Geno has nothing to do with any of those characters, who would even be the fake out at that point? Unless it's a certain someone else kinda-sorta connected to Banjo, but that's the kind of thing that would almost certainly get leaked by now, so it isn't that.
Perhaps not using the kongs, but I could potentially see them doing a "fakeout" for Geno similar to how they did Krool and Banjo.

Possibly a double reveal... They reveal the first character, let's just say waluigi, go through his trailer, then start announcing the mii costumes. Suddenly they get to the Geno mii, right as it's about to do one of the mii gunner taunts, you hear the words "GENO WHIRL!" and a large disc flies right into the mii, doing insane knockback and having the classic critical hit sound from SMRPG. Camera quickly pans over and it starts Geno's actual reveal trailer.

Personally I don't think it's as likely as a full trailer dedicated to him, as all new characters so far have had full cinematic trailers, and Nintendo knows Geno's popularity, and it wouldn't feel right if Geno's was a quickly thrown together one just to try and tie it into a mii gunner fakeout costume just for the humorous aspect.

...But the possibility is still there, if they decided to reveal two characters they might very well decide that whoever the other one is, they needed the spotlight on em more than Geno did.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The funny thing about all this is that if people are this blatantly teasing Geno, a character that the Smash fanbase has wanted for 20 years, there's bigger stuff coming tomorrow and just leave it at that.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
The funny thing about all this is that if people are this blatantly teasing Geno, a character that the Smash fanbase has wanted for 20 years, there's bigger stuff coming tomorrow and just leave it at that.
mario rpg remake, lol jk. i wish tho

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I have enough scotch ale in my guts to basically say that one of contacts told me the other day that the DK fake out scenario was going to be done at least one more time. Like I keep saying, it's going to be a fun day tomorrow.
Mother of God..... :o

Last edited:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Fatman you're giving me life. I have absolutely no idea what you could be talking about, or if it's even a game I'd care about, but I need this optimistic hype in my veins right now.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I legit was thinking this a few hours ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom