• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Well, thanks for being honest Nazyrus Nazyrus . And for not beating around the bush. Sounds like FP7 is hype-worthy? Like if Geno ain't FP7, and someone like Chief is, I'd be just as happy.
FP7 should be hype worthy by default if it was going to be originally the E3 reveal. I personally wonder if this will be a 3rd party or another 1st party character tho… If the direct is truly tomorrow and the fp7 is revealed there and it doesn't get leaked, It will probably be a first party character (they are almost impossible to leak). If it's a 3rd party then i will clap for it not getting leaked at all lol.

Tomorrow: mini-Direct: "A Mario character will be joining Smash to celebrate the 35th anniversary"

We have a thread for that: https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/

This thread is for Geno. :)
Yeah that was my bad lol

Last edited:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Since we have some time to stew, let's goof around a bit with a question: what are some bad ways that Nintendo could reveal Geno?

Imagine them doing a Min Min-style trailer where Geno steals the invitation from popular Mario picks like Toad and Waluigi. That resulting salt would be unbelievable

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Since we have some time to stew, let's goof around a bit with a question: what are some bad ways that Nintendo could reveal Geno?
A character from Super Mario RPG is joining the battle! You will have to wait to find out who it is!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I wonder how many of us are going to buy the full pass tomorrow after Geno’s revealed. Or just buy Geno’s.
I already bought it day one; considering that I've liked almost all of the DLC character choices (and/or the games that they came from) for Smash 4 and Ultimate, I have faith that the development team will make good choices. (Corrin being the one exception from the DLC choices so far - I enjoyed Three Houses, though I would have preferred one of the House Leaders over Byleth)

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
This seems to describe speculation as a whole, at least from a pessimistic point of view:

Well, minus the "when Gotham is ashes... then you have my permission to die" bit.
Which is why I am not looking forward to the speculation scene once 10 rolls around. With the potential openings dropping and no word on characters past number 11, fanbases will be out for blood, any 'leak' will be microanalyzed to death and fandom rivalries will explode.

That's why they should have Geno, Dixie, Isaac earlier in the pass (if they are in it, of course). Get them out of there before the fighting starts.

D

Deleted member

I already bought it day one; considering that I've liked almost all of the DLC character choices (and/or the games that they came from) for Smash 4 and Ultimate, I have faith that the development team will make good choices. (Corrin being the one exception from the DLC choices so far - I enjoyed Three Houses, though I would have preferred one of the House Leaders over Byleth)
Honestly, same. The only one I was disappointed with was Hero's because I didn't really care about DQ and Sugiyama was being a tool with his cheap MIDIs, but the character and stage itself was well-crafted, just didn't like the music selection.

I really wish we had gotten the orchestrated versions like in their reveal trailer. Terry and Joker's were amazing, even if I don't really care all too much about those characters either. Banjo is self-explanatory, and I enjoyed Byleth's because I loved Three Houses. Heck, Byleth is now my main, surprisingly. As for Min-Min, self-explanatory too. Glad it was her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Which is why I am not looking forward to the speculation scene once 10 rolls around. With the potential openings dropping and no word on characters past number 11, fanbases will be out for blood, any 'leak' will be microanalyzed to death and fandom rivalries will explode.

That's why they should have Geno, Dixie, Isaac earlier in the pass (if they are in it, of course). Get them out of there before the fighting starts.
Here's hoping, though if the reaction to the end of Smash 4's DLC is any indication, and the reveal of Wolf and ROB in Brawl, people are going to be upset no matter what the rest of the DLC is. (people are still angry over Bayonetta's inclusion close to five years later because she wasn't the character that they wanted)

Even if the line-up wound up being Geno, Dixie, Isaac, Dante, and Master Chief, people would still find a reason to complain. (for example, complaining because Isaac was the only assist trophy that was promoted, or acting like Master Chief "stole the slot" from their favourite character, or saying that Dante shouldn't be in because "he's just Bayonetta with a sword!")

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't think any DLC will disappoint me apart from Byleth going forward. I think they will be at least rating a 6-7 at bare minimum compared to Byleth's 1

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm glad Naz came here because, like I said, he has history here. This thread is basically where all the DLC drama began and now that Sabi's been permacancelled, it puts things in perspective. So many of us were taken on this wild ride and we all realize we're coming to the end of it. Both Naz and Rummy don't really get a lot of information anymore and don't have much interest in it and I don't intend to continue with insider stuff once Ultimate wraps up so there's sort of a peace of mind that this brings. You also have consider all that we went through with Sabi over the course of a year and a half and if all three of us are optimistic about the future after dealing with someone as unironically evil as Sabi, I feel like that's a statement all in itself.

bomamba

Smash Cadet
Here's hoping, though if the reaction to the end of Smash 4's DLC is any indication, and the reveal of Wolf and ROB in Brawl, people are going to be upset no matter what the rest of the DLC is. (people are still angry over Bayonetta's inclusion close to five years later because she wasn't the character that they wanted)

Even if the line-up wound up being Geno, Dixie, Isaac, Dante, and Master Chief, people would still find a reason to complain.
yea I agree for the most part but I do think bayo is hated mostly for being super cheesy in competitive play (banning her was a legit debate)

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Imagine them doing a Min Min-style trailer where Geno steals the invitation from popular Mario picks like Toad and Waluigi. That resulting salt would be unbelievable
Revealing Geno Mii costume in a mii fighter trailer then revealing Geno as playable at the end of the direct

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
yea I agree for the most part but I do think bayo is hated mostly for being super cheesy in competitive play (banning her was a legit debate)
I totally understand that, but people were (and still are) angry about her inclusion because "she didn't really win the Smash Ballot! (insert user's favourite character here) got the most votes, but they included Bayonetta instead!"

EDIT: To be clear, I'm bringing this up because no matter who gets revealed as the final DLC character, people are going to be upset because their favourite "should" have made it in.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Even if the line-up wound up being Geno, Dixie, Isaac, Dante, and Master Chief, people would still find a reason to complain.
It's going to be ****show among the community when Ultimate's final newcomer is revealed no matter who it is just like you said. In fact, with this being the biggest Smash game ever and us most likely not getting another Smash for like another 7 to 10 years, people are probably going to be ******** about Ultimate's last newcomer more than Bayonetta. Didn't you guys close down and lock Smash 4's character support forums before Bayonetta was revealed?

Edit: But yeah, Ultimate's last character will have a lot of weight put on their back for years.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also for me it's hard to say that there's any bad way to reveal Geno

Even if he's revealed by a random Nintendo employee saying "Geno is in" and then the direct is over, I'd still be freaking out over the reveal :laugh:

RingJ5

Smash Ace

Besides the obvious “He’s a Mii Costume” one...

-“Announcing Geno as the last Smash character of the year! The final four challengers of the second Fighter’s Pass will be released in 2021.”
-Geno arrives with a Sora Premium Costume.
-Besides the aforementioned “fight for the invitation that Geno wins”, I could unironically see them doing the DK fakeout joke a third time but with Waluigi into Geno, which would be a fair bit tone-deaf.
-Geno arrives with a mention that he’s the only third-party of the pass.
-Geno’s trailer being vague enough that it gets mistaken for another mega-popular character before he’s revealed

There’s quite a few ways for them to not handle it well, hopefully it works out.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Well, it seems not just GameXplain, but Nate appear unconvinced we're going to hear anything regarding Smash. I'll be honest; Not, uh. Feelin' all that great about the current prospects anymore.

1595173885359.png

EDIT: Further down the thread, just a couple minutes after this, Nate suggests if we do get more info, it'll likely just be an ARMS-esque teaser. Whoof.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I totally understand that, but people were (and still are) angry about her inclusion because "she didn't really win the Smash Ballot! (insert user's favourite character here) got the most votes, but they included Bayonetta instead!"
I stand by the belief that if they said that Cloud was the winner, 95% of the Smash fanbase would have accepted it mostly no question. He's like a perfect choice for a fan voted character.

True or not, Bayonetta just had too many appearances of shenanigans on the surface. Once they put that 'realizable' asterisk by her win, it was never going to be accepted as legit.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Or this kind of reveal for Geno lmao

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, it seems not just GameXplain, but Nate appear unconvinced we're going to hear anything regarding Smash. I'll be honest; Not, uh. Feelin' all that great about the current prospects anymore.

View attachment 279238

EDIT: Further down the thread, just a couple minutes after this, Nate suggests if we do get more info, it'll likely just be an ARMS-esque teaser. Whoof.
He's clearly not certain. Remember, they've done a good job of keeping fighter reveals a secret since Byleth. Don't lose hope.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

View attachment 279238
I hope we don't have another disagreement war again like the community had during the Grinch Leak. I swear it sucks to be on the losing side of the argument.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
A character from Super Mario RPG is joining the battle! You will have to wait to find out who it is!
And it's Prince Peasley from the M&L series. That's the Mario RPG rep we need but don't deserve. It's in an attempt to revive Alpha Dream and is a better pick than Fawful ever could be. And you all thought you needed Geno, Paper Mario, Toad or God forbid the Mario and Luigi bros based specifically off the spin off series.

very very tiny pac.

Bomber57

Smash Cadet

View attachment 279238

I don't think we'll know until we know on this one. If and when the direct happens, it isn't over until the stream ends.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Can I just say that I really don’t like the concept of a Mini Direct? They tend to be shorter than normal (like 10-20 minutes usually), but that’s longer than game-specific ones tend to be, and those still get livestreamed. Sure they can still call it a Mini Direct, but when you just shadowdrop it with zero warning, it doesn’t do a good job getting people excited for it when they can’t prepare to watch ahead of time. When you wake up and see stuff trending on Twitter it kind of takes the wind out of the sails for any hype.

I just get real confused when it comes to marketing decisions from Nintendo sometimes.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

View attachment 279238

This just means he hasn’t heard enough about Smash development to suspect a character is trailer-ready. There still could be a teaser that actually reveals the character, like Mewtwo for Smash 4 DLC.

Griselda

Smash Lord
If Geno (Or someone else I really want) is revealed, then I'm immediately buying the whole pass. Otherwise, I'm gonna wait and see everyone that's in the pass and just buy it all at the end for completion's sake.
On another note, here's the painted Geno figure, just missing the cape. I think he looks pretty good considering I could only sort of see the facial details while I was melting them in.
geno figure 2.png

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

View attachment 279238

It will just be yet another botch from the Nintendo marketing team this year. I swear, it feels like the head of the department is trying to sabotage Nintendo this year, and in terms of public opinion, its working.

MattX20

Smash Hero
It would be absolutely idiotic to not have FP7 revealed before the summer ends, the upcoming amiibo releases at the end of September/early Ocotber for the West make it pretty clear to expect FP7

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

View attachment 279238
Literally hasn’t been a direct without Smash news since Ultimate was announced. Or, in other words,

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For what it's worth, I do have a pretty good feeling it's gonna be Geno. Just a hunch though. Not much else to go off of.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I feel like the ending of Smash Ultimate will be handled a lot better than Smash 4 and I'll recap my reasons over the past year:

-They been a lot more careful deconfirming major characters via Mii costumes.

-A lot out there that, if they can't do it through Smash, Nintendo is going to make it up to certain fanbases in other ways.

-Almost all the names that have come up in insider circles for the past year have been big names that have been wanted since Brawl or even earlier.

Obviously, Ultimate can't be "perfect" but they're going to damn try and like, Naz pointed out, there's enough rumblings of various series that will probably miss the boat for Ultimate but will likely get something else that's arguably better eventually or even sooner than you all think. After how this year has gone, I know it's really, reeeeeeeally difficult to have faith in Nintendo but behind the scenes I see a whole different picture and, once again, I'm very optimistic about the future based on it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For what it's worth, I do have a pretty good feeling it's gonna be Geno. Just a hunch though. Not much else to go off of.
I can't tell if you're really rooting for us or just secretly mocking us because you don't like Fatman. Because you never really come in here.

StarLight42

Smash Lord

View attachment 279238

oh dear lord

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can't tell if you're really rooting for us or just secretly mocking us because you don't like Fatman. Because you never really come in here.
What is your deal, dude? Honestly.

I came here because I thought Geno had a good shot. You don't need to take every outsider commenting as a threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom