• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So tired.....

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah, I still don't like SE as a company, but here is my formal apology to them for assuming they were being the problem in Geno and Mallow not being used. Even worse yet is that it's Nintendo being ridiculous with EVERY unique Mario character I loved and still love growing up.

**** you, Nintendo, with a rusty fork. I love the products you make, which makes me all the more infuriated at your utter bull****.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Yeah, I still don't like SE as a company, but here is my formal apology to them for assuming they were being the problem in Geno and Mallow not being used. Even worse yet is that it's Nintendo being ridiculous with EVERY unique Mario character I loved and still love growing up.

**** you, Nintendo, with a rusty fork. I love the products you make, which makes me all the more infuriated at your utter bull****.
I must've missed something when I skipped all the way to this page. So Square isn't the reason for complications regarding Geno but Nintendo?

Firox

Smash Master
It hurts his chances slightly I feel but not entirely. In contrast to the Paper Mario series, Smash Bros Ultimate is the definition of fan service. A lot of the roster is based on Fan Demand. They aren't run by the same people and I think with how big Smash is, it's not to hard for Nintendo/Sakurai to get a character if they asked. Nintendo's the boss after all, they can easily allow Geno to get in, even if some of the people who work on the Mario committee may disagree. It basically boils down to if Nintendo would ask for Geno in the first place. Seeing how they picked Banjo, it's not super unlikely
To further this, it's important to note that Smash Bros is NOT Mario Bros. Mario is in Smash Bros, yes, but the game is a relatively neutral blend of video game IPs now and thus is not subject to the same anal retentiveness that the Mario/Paper Mario franchise is. Plus Sakurai is a baller and if he really wants a given character, he's yet to be denied (as far as anyone can tell).

I still contend that if they didn't happen to own Mario, Zelda and Pokemon, the company would have died a miserable death long ago. Despite all the idiotic choices they make, they are still the proud owners of the gaming industry's most infamous IPs.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Okay I understand it maybe wasnt about that initially but I fail to see why leaning into the paper aspect hurts it in anyways. The poor writing and generic characters are seperate aspects. Sure they leaned on the paper aspect more as the other things went away but that doesnt mean they couldnt play up the paper aspect while still having the engaging plot and unique characters is all I'm saying here.
To me, the heavy focus on the paper aesthetic completely breaks the immersion the original games had. The worlds of SMRPG, PM and TTYD all felt like real, believable places while the ones in modern Paper Mario just seem soulless and artificial. World building is one of the most important things I'm looking for when playing games and this **** just ruins it from the get go.
Also can I just say that I am beyond tired of this cutsey handcrafted artstyle Nintendo keeps slapping onto every franchise? Like come on, Yoshi, Kirby, Paper Mario, Zelda - it's gotten so damn stale over the last decade...

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Sakurai got four Dragon Quest heroes to not only appear in a game together but fight

In a game with Cloud

Literally nothing can stop this man from getting a character he wants.
Nintendo wanted to push the Dragon Quest 11 on Switch, and they didn´t have a problem with Cloud because... it´s Cloud...
Geno on the other hand is a Mario character, and as we read in the article.... Sakurai might need to pull some bigger strings then normally if you know what I mean... So I wouldn´t compare Geno with DQH and Cloud

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
As disheartening as this is, I don't think these new Paper Mario revelations have anything to do with Geno being in Smash. I find it hard to believe that Sakurai would have to defer to these rigid Mario rules in a game involving not only other major Nintendo franchises, but also complicated third party negotiations. I get the impression that Smash is distinctly its own beast, so to speak.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I'm seeing Paper Mario trending on Twitter thanks to that interview on Tanabe. Now certainly Nintendo will notice the disappointment of fans, as well as the disapproval of the direction the series has taken.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
As disheartening as this is, I don't think these new Paper Mario revelations have anything to do with Geno being in Smash. I find it hard to believe that Sakurai would defer to these rigid Mario rules in a game involving not only other major Nintendo franchises, but also complicated third party negotiations.
It´s not Sakurai that do the paperwork for grabbing a third party character. Nintendo does

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm seeing Paper Mario trending on Twitter thanks to that interview on Tanabe. Now certainly Nintendo will notice the disappointment of fans, as well as the disapproval of the direction the series has taken.
I highly doubt it. This is Nintendo, after all.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
We say this literally every time it happens, man. This is far from the first time.

And considering Orgami King is on the Switch, is Mario, and is being released during COVID, AKA video game free time galore, it's going to sell well. Money speaks louder.

This is on deaf ears, and always has been.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
No, it doesn't.
Geno is from Square Enix and is highly requested and has been for years, this will be his purpose in Smash, to grant a wish.

Tanabe's bad handles on Paper Mario does not even come close to effecting Geno's chances.
I've been seeing it all day, it makes no sense.
The thing people are arguing is that this isn't even about Tanabe at this point. Every team that isn't EPD (internal) has some serious restrictions put on them which is meant to limit what they can put into games like Paper Mario, Wario Ware, Mario Tennis, and (probably) Smash Bros. Spin-off characters don't seem to be treated on the same level as characters that have been created by Nintendo themselves like Waluigi. Every Mario character that is PLAYABLE was created by Nintendo themselves even if it was multiple decades ago, those who are not created by Nintendo mostly relegated to spirits, assists, mii's. Having Waluigi or Geno would technically be the "first Mario character that was technically not made by Nintendo, which would break a long running pattern."

I posted this earlier but according to an insider back in 2018 about why Waluigi isn't in WarioWare. They said this,

Here's the truth:

Nintendo has a quality assurance team whose goal is to make sure that all of the characters and worlds stay consistent. It was established after the early Wii era...people like Miyamoto noticed around 2010-ish that Nintendo contractors like Camelot / Alphadream / Intelligent Systems were getting a little too liberal with their interpretations of the Mario IP...so now they watch over everything and establish standards.

It's this team that prevents Waluigi from appearing outside of sports games.

On top of this, even if you don't believe the insider. Miyamoto himself has practically admitted to it, https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/27/e3-2017-shigeru-miyamoto-and-the-legacy-of-mario.

"When it comes to Mario, Miyamoto is fairly open to experiments, but still tries to make sure the designers he works with understand certain limits".

And while people here are posting things about Odyssey to prove that the statement from Tanabe isn't all that accurate. Miyamoto also said that "When it’s internal teams, they really understand it, although they try to push that line a little bit further. But when it’s an external partner, I make sure that line is very clear". So internal teams are given more freedom in what they can do when compared to IS/Camelot.

And I'm pretty sure I could easily find more things about how Miyamoto prefers if Mario games are "story-light" or how he has stated that teams shouldn't introduce too many more "new" Mario characters but rather just use the Mario All-Stars.

That's why some people are a little worried about Geno's chances so suddenly. Ultimately, Miyamoto's commitee gets to decide how the Mario IP can be used, if they do not want a character like Geno as a fighter; but rather as a mii costume because they think "only Nintendo created Mario characters should be playable". Then Geno won't get in.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
To me, the heavy focus on the paper aesthetic completely breaks the immersion the original games had. The worlds of SMRPG, PM and TTYD all felt like real, believable places while the ones in modern Paper Mario just seem soulless and artificial. World building is one of the most important things I'm looking for when playing games and this **** just ruins it from the get go.
Also can I just say that I am beyond tired of this cutsey handcrafted artstyle Nintendo keeps slapping onto every franchise? Like come on, Yoshi, Kirby, Paper Mario, Zelda - it's gotten so damn stale over the last decade...
It's called "compensating for ****ty graphics". I'm not even kidding. It's an age-old trick to use "artsy" graphical style like paper, cell shading, etc. to create a semi-valid excuse for having underwhelming hardware. Since Tendo is so grossly outmatched by the competition when it comes to graphics, they've had to resort to the "artsy" style even more to create the illusion that they aren't being left in the dust.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
To get sentimental for a minute, as I said in my post last night, it makes me genuinely happy to see so much energy in this thread right now. It makes me happy to see some dormant accounts who haven't shown up here in recent times (like @Dynamic Worlok, @Franco Geno, and of course my girl Ovaltine Ovaltine ) join us again (if only for a brief period).

Despite me making it clear that I'm not a Super Mario RPG pro, I have been in this thread for over a year and I've definitely seen the thread go through stuff. As someone who really values sentimentality, when I hear you guys wanting to cheer a cancer patient (survivor?) up, when I hear you guys being hyped while also being responsible, helping put our @Sigran101 (you rock, don't ever leave), hell when I just see that people enjoy a post I make... it makes me smile. As I make all too apparent, I'm a pretty young guy in this thread (about to turn 18 fun fact, though @Nicnac and @ActualGarbage are the youngest if I did the math right). So the fact that your dedication managed to turn a young zoomer who hasn't even played Super Mario RPG into a campaigner for Geno and actively interacts with you boomers (:ultpacman:) on a regular basis just speaks volumes, in my opinion.

I mean bloody hell, I'm about the enter my senior year of high school and one of the most pressing things on my mind is you guys. I've said it so many times that is probably is annoying at this point, but I truly want Geno for you guys and gals in here. For those who remember my huge "confession" post, I admitted I used the hate the idea of Geno in Smash. But you guys and the dedication of the community made me realize how long you guys have been in the trenches and should finally get your dues. As such, it saddens me when beacons of light like Ovaltine or any other burnt out Geno fans just up and leave due to being so tired of it all.

While not everyone in this thread is my cup of tea (shout out to the people who remember the Mephiles days), it is really amazing to see new faces pop up who become mainstays like @QQS, @Lord Woomy, and @Enigma735. I'm sure not everyone likes me in here either, but I can only imagine how it feels to long-time supporters like KCCHIEFS27 KCCHIEFS27 , Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , @xpnc, PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate (and the list can go on) to see that their long-standing hope for Geno isn't in vain. There are so many people in this thread who I think are gems and I can't wait to see them freak out once Geno gets in. Trust me, I could list all the people in the thread who I think are rockstars (though I'd feel bad if I were to forget anyone), but for now I'll just remind you all that regardless of whether you believe in leaks, or rumors, or evil theory-crafting, that you have being here is worth something and because of you guys Geno is now at the forefront of Smash speculation. A one-time, 20+ year old, admittedly not the most relevant, jointly owned Nintendo & Square Enix character is now thought to be one of the most likely characters to appear in the greatest gaming crossover as DLC. For that alone you guys should be excited. Your guys' dedication is already paying off and I think we all know what the final reward is.

I look forward to the day when people the thread can start laughing like hyenas and busting open the champagne bottles due to the war finally being won. Until then, as I always say... "I'm with you all until the end of the line." Thanks for reading.
You've got it right in the money, my friend! I might've not been mentioned specifically, but I feel for this post. What I value in this thread and on the closely affiliated Star Road server above all else is the sense of community and comradery that I rarely see in other places online. We care for each other, help each other and just generally are on
good terms with each other. I can say without hesitation that I like most of not all regulars here as people, and I wish to cultivate friendships here as much as I can. Love ya, Genobros!

cacomallow is still real btw

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Question here: is the reaction Origami King is having here similar in Japan? Because that's usually the audience Nintendo develops for, right? I mean, it develops for all over the globe, but considering where they're situated, that's one of their bigger priorities.

So if Nintendo does change their approach to Mario RPGs and Paper Mario in the future, then it probably wouldn't be for us, but for Japan. Just a thought.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
We say this literally every time it happens, man. This is far from the first time.

And considering Orgami King is on the Switch, is Mario, and is being released during COVID, AKA video game free time galore, it's going to sell well. Money speaks louder.

This is on deaf ears, and always has been.
Exactly.

Nintendo isn't going to listen to ****-all. They legitimately don't care.

This is why I advocate for fan games and fan productions so hard. Will they get C&D'd? Will Nintendo's suits get mad? Probably — but **** them. Do whatever dodgy **** you have to do to make them, because this is what the people have been wanting. If Nintendo can't deliver, then it's up to the fans to do so, Nintendo's salty M-M-MUH IP tears be damned.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
NO, they won't. They didn't listen from Sticker Star, they didn't listen from Color Splash, and they sure as hell aren't going to listen to this. It sucks. It really sucks. It's infurating to look at other Nintendo franchises like Luigi's Mansion, or Zelda, or 3D Mario, or Kirby, OR SMASH, or a number of others and see them making changes and decisions that are being made in the fanbases interest. Oh, you want portrait ghosts and one huge mansion again? Sure, we'll do that. You guys want a return to more sandbox style 3D Mario? WHY NOT? You guys want a new traditional Mario RPG with wacky characters and locales? TOO BAD, YOU GUYS LIKE PAPER? SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE INSIDE STORY REMAKE EVEN THOUGH YOU COULD ALREADY PLAY THE ORIGINAL ON 3DS, IT RAN AT HALF THE FRAME RATE, AND RELEASED ALMOST TWO YEARS AFTER THE SWITCH!

Last edited:

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
It´s not Sakurai that do the paperwork for grabbing a third party character. Nintendo does
Still, my original point stands. I don't see Geno's status in Smash as being connected to Nintendo's quality assurance policies for Mario characters.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
It just baffles me that "baby version" is good enough for the brand, but not new original character that expands the universe

Still, my original point stands. I don't see Geno's status in Smash as being connected to Nintendo's quality assurance policies for Mario characters.
This is Nintendo we are talking about. They are unpredictable

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If I may ask, I remember Fatmanonice Fatmanonice saying something about Waluigi's chances earlier. Do you guys think what was said in this interview negatively affects Waluigi's chances as well?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
As I said, if they’re also control freaks over Daisy being in mainline games despite Super Mario Land, they probably don’t care to keep Geno out of Smash. He could definitely still get in. Yes Daisy is an echo, but she’s similar to Peach and that’s still a playable fighter.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Nintendo wanted to push the Dragon Quest 11 on Switch, and they didn´t have a problem with Cloud because... it´s Cloud...
Geno on the other hand is a Mario character, and as we read in the article.... Sakurai might need to pull some bigger strings then normally if you know what I mean... So I wouldn´t compare Geno with DQH and Cloud
*wheels chalkboard into the classroom*
*smacks it with a pointer and then grabs chalk*

The Dragon Quest franchise has very strict rules concerning the appearance of the main heroes outside of their original games. Namely, they rarely if ever appear in games together and, on the once in a blue moon occasion that they do, they are NEVER allowed to fight each other...

Unless your name is Masahiro Mother ****ing Sakurai.

In the history of Square Enix as a unified brand, there has never been a major crossover between Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, they are kept wholly separate...

Unless your name is Masahiro Mother ****ing Sakurai

Now there are SOME rules Sakurai cannot break. Sonic is never red, Pac-Man is always yellow, but when it comes to where and how characters can appear, he holds more sway than a significant percentage of the industry. So if there’s ANYONE who can get break the “Mario Original RPG Characters can appear only once” rule, it’s

Say it with me class

Masahiro Mother ****ing Sakurai

(Also as a side note, when Sakurai first went to Square asking for Cloud, they asked why he didn’t want one of the newer characters, and his response was, to paraphrase, Cloud is the most popular you dumb ****s)

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice
After seeing the interview for Paper Mario, my viewpoint has completely changed. I’m never buying Origami King. Hell, I’m planning to buy 64 and TTYD right now. It makes ME angry, and I’ve only played two of the games in the whole series. Nintendo can do so much better and just to see them do this is sickening.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Maybe I’m completely missing how this could effect Geno’s chances at all. Isn’t the article mainly about being able to modify or add existing Mario universe characters to the main franchise? I don’t think SSBU is considered part of the main franchise, and doesn’t Geno already exist? Why would they need to modify him?

If Sakurai could get more than one Dragon Quest hero in the game at one time (there was supposedly a pretty strict rule that DQ Heroes cannot fight each other or something like that), I’m not sure why he couldn’t get a 3rd party character, debatably not even Nintendo, added to a game where he already exists in Spirit form.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
*wheels chalkboard into the classroom*
*smacks it with a pointer and then grabs chalk*

The Dragon Quest franchise has very strict rules concerning the appearance of the main heroes outside of their original games. Namely, they rarely if ever appear in games together and, on the once in a blue moon occasion that they do, they are NEVER allowed to fight each other...

Unless your name is Masahiro Mother ****ing Sakurai.

In the history of Square Enix as a unified brand, there has never been a major crossover between Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, they are kept wholly separate...

Unless your name is Masahiro Mother ****ing Sakurai

Now there are SOME rules Sakurai cannot break. Sonic is never red, Pac-Man is always yellow, but when it comes to where and how characters can appear, he holds more sway than a significant percentage of the industry. So if there’s ANYONE who can get break the “Mario Original RPG Characters can appear only once” rule, it’s

Say it with me class

Masahiro Mother ****ing Sakurai

(Also as a side note, when Sakurai first went to Square asking for Cloud, they asked why he didn’t want one of the newer characters, and his response was, to paraphrase, Cloud is the most popular you dumb ****s)
It still does not change the fact that Nintendo is the one that do the papers, not Sakurai. And if the "Mario brand pannel" is as orthodox as its indicated... it will be harder to get it, because he had Nintendos back with Cloud and Hero... With Geno it looks like he has to "fight" Nintendo which is a different scenario

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I dunno. The cynicism is kind of funny. Like we've talked about today: "Oh man, there's no way Geno could get into Smash unless Nintendo and Square were going to make a sequel or remake that they were convinced would make them a gorillion dollars." I mean that could be true but couldn't that technically be extended to like... Every third party character in Smash? Joker secretly was setting the table for Persona 5 on Switch or Banjo for Rare Replay or whatever. I mean, ****, make it even more cynical, Banjo's revival wasn't even on behalf of Nintendo fans, it was secretly a marketing scheme of Microsoft to reintroduce the characters to a new market and then hork a new game exclusively on the XBox360noscope or whatever the **** it's called a year or two later. I mean... That's technically what happened to Snake with MGS4 and Cloud and the FF VII Remake so, in conclusion, boys and girls, capitalism sucks the magic out of the world and your Smash picks are really just advertising tools. Friendly reminder that it's 5 o'clock somewhere and God is dead...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I dunno. The cynicism is kind of funny. Like we've talked about today: "Oh man, there's no way Geno could get into Smash unless Nintendo and Square were going to make a sequel or remake that they were convinced would make them a gorillion dollars." I mean that could be true but couldn't that technically be extended to like... Every third party character in Smash? Joker secretly was setting the table for Persona 5 on Switch or Banjo for Rare Replay or whatever. I mean, ****, make it even more cynical, Banjo's revival wasn't even on behalf of Nintendo fans, it was secretly a marketing scheme of Microsoft to reintroduce the characters to a new market and then hork a new game exclusively on the XBox360noscope or whatever the **** it's called a year or two later. I mean... That's technically what happened to Snake with MGS4 and Cloud and the FF VII Remake so, in conclusion, boys and girls, capitalism sucks the magic out of the world and your Smash picks are really just advertising tools. Friendly reminder that it's 5 o'clock somewhere and God is dead...
I thought it was half past ten. You listen to Jimmy Buffett?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If Sakurai could get more than one Dragon Quest hero in the game at one time (there was supposedly a pretty strict rule that DQ Heroes cannot fight each other or something like that), I’m not sure why he couldn’t get a 3rd party character, debatably not even Nintendo, added to a game where he already exists in Spirit form.
Like I said to Splauto "
It still does not change the fact that Nintendo is the one that do the papers, not Sakurai. And if the "Mario brand pannel" is as orthodox as its indicated... it will be harder to get it, because he had Nintendos back with Cloud and Hero... With Geno it looks like he has to "fight" Nintendo which is a different scenario"

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
The thing people are arguing is that this isn't even about Tanabe at this point. Every team that isn't EPD (internal) has some serious restrictions put on them which is meant to limit what they can put into games like Paper Mario, Wario Ware, Mario Tennis, and (probably) Smash Bros. Spin-off characters don't seem to be treated on the same level as characters that have been created by Nintendo themselves like Waluigi. Every Mario character that is PLAYABLE was created by the Nintendo themselves title even if it was multiple decades ago, others are mostly relegated to spirits, assists, mii's.

I posted this earlier but according to an insider back in 2018 about why Waluigi isn't in Smash. They said this,

Here's the truth:

Nintendo has a quality assurance team whose goal is to make sure that all of the characters and worlds stay consistent. It was established after the early Wii era...people like Miyamoto noticed around 2010-ish that Nintendo contractors like Camelot / Alphadream / Intelligent Systems were getting a little too liberal with their interpretations of the Mario IP...so now they watch over everything and establish standards.

It's this team that prevents Waluigi from appearing outside of sports games.

On top of this, even if you don't believe the insider. Miyamoto himself has practically admitted to it, https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/27/e3-2017-shigeru-miyamoto-and-the-legacy-of-mario.

"When it comes to Mario, Miyamoto is fairly open to experiments, but still tries to make sure the designers he works with understand certain limits".

And while people here are posting things about Odyssey to prove that the statement from Tanabe isn't all that accurate. Miyamoto also said that "When it’s internal teams, they really understand it, although they try to push that line a little bit further. But when it’s an external partner, I make sure that line is very clear". So internal teams are given more freedom in what they can do when compared to IS/Camelot.

And I'm pretty sure I could easily find more things about how Miyamoto prefers if Mario games are "story-light" or how he has stated that teams shouldn't introduce too many more "new" Mario characters but rather just use the Mario All-Stars.

That's why some people are a little worried about Geno's chances so suddenly. Ultimately, Miyamoto's commitee gets to decide how the Mario IP can be used, if they do not want a character like Geno as a fighter; but rather as a mii costume because they think "only Nintendo created Mario characters should be playable". Then Geno won't get in.
I don't need to explain how... wrong this post is and will be.

Just, watch this video.
The article is ONLY about Paper Mario.

Miyamoto and Nintendo are perfectly fine with representing Mario RPGs, and this will be proven very soon.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I don't know where you've been if this Paper Mario interview gave you any new information today. They've made their intentions pretty clear with the Mario products they've been ****ting out for the past decade.

That being said, it's laughable to think anything in that interview has any effect on a character's chances for Smash

D

Deleted member

It seems like this thread is quickly coming to terms with the double think that is "[Tanabe] is limited by Nintendo from making unique characters" and "look at all the unique **** that shows up in other Mario games", and that's good. I don't want to drag this out for longer than it has to be dragged out because at the end of the day, this has nothing to do with Geno, but...

im ngl man. I don’t see an interesting character. I see a red Toad with a jacket. They can (and have) done so much better
Star. You're great and all, and I want you to know that.

But this is probably the bruh post of the century. Is this parody? Am I being ****ed with? You're joking, right?
1594927627295.png

Blue shelled koopa wearing a bandana around his neck.
Blushing goomba with a hat.
Pink bob-omb.
Lakitu but he has sunshades and isn't bald.

Paper Mario was never the pinnacle of unique designs Are they good designs? Yes. They're amazing. I love these characters... But there's nothing special about them outside of coloration and accessories. If Origami King had actual partners and these guys actually joined your team and were "controllable", you would love Captain T. Ode and think that the franchise had returned to its roots.

Now we have something that may hurt Geno's chances? What is it?
Nothing but overreactions to Paper Mario's director coming up with excuses that barely hold water for why he wants to pump out vapid experiences rather than memorable games.

This idea that Nintendo is limiting their creative leads on what they can do in a Paper Mario game is just jumping at shadows, and that goes doubly so for Super Smash Bros.

Last edited by a moderator:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Nothing but overreactions to Paper Mario's director coming up with excuses that barely hold water for why he wants to pump out vapid experiences rather than memorable games.
Yeah, it does look like that, the overreactions part. In fact, I would say it IS that.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
It seems like this thread is quickly coming to terms with the double think that is "[Tanabe] is limited by Nintendo from making unique characters" and "look at all the unique **** that shows up in other Mario games", and that's good. I don't want to drag this out for longer than it has to be dragged out because at the end of the day, this has nothing to do with Geno, but...

Star. You're great and all, and I want you to know that.

But this is probably the bruh post of the century. Is this parody? Am I being ****ed with? You're joking, right?
View attachment 278727
Blue shelled koopa wearing a bandana around his neck.
Blushing goomba with a hat.
Pink bob-omb.
Lakitu but he has sunshades and isn't bald.

Paper Mario was never the pinnacle of unique designs Are they good designs? Yes. They're amazing. I love these characters... But there's nothing special about them outside of coloration and accessories. If Origami King had actual partners and these guys actually joined your team and were "controllable", you would love Captain T. Ode and think that the franchise had returned to its roots.

This idea that Nintendo is limiting their creative leads on what they can do in a Paper Mario game is just jumping at shadows, and that goes doubly so for Super Smash Bros.
Wow, you're telling me if Origami King did something people wanted and gave characters unique designs and made them actual partners I would like it more? WOW WHO COULD HAVE GUESSED?

This isn't jumping at shadows man, and it's not just limited to Paper Mario, Nintendo's sterilization of the broader Mario brand over the last decade is nothing new and this is just more confirmation of it.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have a hard time believing that this is a standard that all of Mario is held to, especially after Odyssey. Seems like its just a Paper Mario problem that could easily be fixed if it the series was handled by someone who would want to do so. I don't think we have to worry about this influencing Geno's chances, among other things.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
not sure this is a good anolgy but if KH fans werent scared that Disney wouldnt allow Sora on nintendo consoles and how little difference it made seeing how a KH game on switch exsists, Im sure you all dont need to be scared of a Paper Mario person seeing how it matters nothing to Geno

Again, This probably makes no sense but it was the first thing that popped in my sleep deprived head

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Also, I've seen the news, and I couldn't be more disappointed... and that's despite the thought of it coming to my mind. Nintendo has established strict, restrictive guidelines as the how the Mario franchise and universe has to be creatively handled... literaly ****ing WHY?!

I get it to some extent, that they want to create an image, a brand out of the IP, one that only includes the most recognizable aspects of the mainline Mario games to market to a weirder audience, and that's fine on its own, but what in the higher authority's name is the reason to force that vision of Mario into every facet of the franchise? We have the NSMB series as a sterilized, generic version of the Mario universe, why conform every other spin off into this cookie cutter format? The creativity in the spin offs should THRIVE. For crying out loud, it's a franchise about an Italian plumber who lives in a land inhabitated by talking mushrooms, jumps like 6 meters in the air and is always at odds with an evil dragon turtle. Why WOULDN'T you go all out with its premise?

Besides, they're SPIN OFFS. Casual Mario fans won't care much about them besides like, Mario Kart, but even then, are they really thrown off by any deviation from the series' norm in those games? If I was a casual fan wanting to play Mario Tennis, I wouldn't give a damn if K Rool, Geno, Fawful or any other weird spin off character were to show their face in there, if anything I'd find it awesome and be curious to know more about them, thus becoming a more invested fan. There's literally no downside to that!

My man GolisoPower GolisoPower said it best, and I seriously hope that Geno in Smash can be a wake up call for Nintendo, and the savior for us long time Mario fans who love the weirder, more out there parts of the franchise that used to bring us so much joy. He might be our last hope, and after putting it this way, I have even more reason to want him in, as if I didn't have enough already. Let's go Geno!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom