• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'll say this too: No one genuinely spends this much time and energy bellyaching over something they're not afraid is gonna happen. If they really thought Geno had little to no shot, they probably just wouldn't talk about him at much even if they hated the idea of him in Smash. For example, I personally hate the idea of Goku in Smash for obvious reasons, but I'm confident he isn't happening so I don't complain about him to high heaven.
The truth is, these people are trying to convince no one but themselves. They see Geno's evidence and they've seen how solid it is, but they've spent pretty much a year at this point trying to convince themselves that it means nothing because in reality, it actually is pretty substantial. Back in the first half of 2019, Geno was dead in the water. A DQ character was either highly likely or confirmed and his costume was almost a guarantee to come back. And guess what? Despite Geno's chances actually looking grim at the time, the hate mob that's currently surrounding him seemed almost non-existent. That's because they weren't worried, Geno had little evidence back then so they didn't have to try and justify their viewpoints by being jerks. Now that Geno has evidence though, the hate mob is back with a vengeance. They're not bashing Geno because they think he's unlikely, they're bashing Geno because they're afraid they may actually lose the same damn fight for the 4th time in a row.
Personally, I would like to see them lose the fight for the fourth time.

But yeah, some people are just desperate. There is nothing wrong with losing something like this. No one is even perfect. Why hold on to trying to win if you can't learn from it and are trying to be perfect. We're supposed to learn from our mistakes, after all. I'd say that people trying to avoid that are not so bright and are trying to achieve something they can't, which is being right as much as they can. In fact, I can say that if they do keep this up, and Geno is revealed, they are going to make it worse for themselves with disappointment and embarrassment. If they could just accept the possibility that they are wrong, that would at least save them the trouble of making things worse for them by continuing to hate Geno and his fanbase.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m gonna say some stuff as someone who has been in here for nearly two years.

I think the people outside this thread who hate it tend to do so for coming in at a bad time in the past, and not fully understanding what was going on, and/or maybe not reading our posts carefully and so they think we’re all mindless and willing to 100% believe in literally everything that could be in Geno’s favor, as if we don’t do a good job keeping our expectations in check on our own or are calm and perfectly fine about it if we do think he’s definitely in.

The thread has had its “upsets” in the past, and sometimes people can be too quick to judge someone who was just disagreeing on some info, but personally I don’t blame anyone. Given how the people outside this thread treat us when we start showing why we believe Geno has a good shot, or what they say literally almost every time Geno is brought up outside of here, it’s kinda hard to not feel bitter about any outsiders coming in here just to be negative - the thread’s “upsets” mainly just being because people couldn’t hold themselves back from jumping on trolls who came in here, and the mods just wanted to clean stuff up while some of us calmed down. I even remember one troll who asked why we liked Geno, and even after multiple users explained why, they would say they don’t personally want him or something to that effect, which is fine, but they also kept asking the same question over and over even after it was explained to them, so it felt like they were either not using their gnoggin or were simply not being genuine and just wanting to prod us (the thread wasn’t locked over this specific troll, though).

There’s also the people who have called us “cultists” with Fatman as the crazed leader being a serial liar, when if they actually spent time in here and read our posts, they would know that isn’t true. Apparently the speculation in here is also “unhealthy” as if it isn’t literally what every other active support thread has been doing/has done, trying to find how their character is likely and stuff like that, and as if the people outside this thread (including some of the ones who think we’re “unhealthy”) who have actual unhealthy behaviors towards us, being rude and dismissive and stuff when we’ve tried to be kind and civil, are somehow perfectly fine.

Then there’s the stuff surrounding Fatman, whom I genuinely feel bad for and I wish it would all stop. Not only are we all given crap for believing he’s being truthful and respecting him, as you should anyone you believe to be a good human being/even people you don’t know if they haven’t proven to be bad, but regarding Fatman himself, he gets the worst of why this thread is hated on, as people outside here believe him to be a liar and a fraud when there’s literally no evidence he is, and a lot of people have harassed him over it and I think they’ve done other bad stuff even going as far as to threaten his family or something. Fatman doesn’t deserve any of this stupid, horrible crap; even if he was lying and stuff, you don’t frickin harass/do stupid and horrible stuff like that to anyone. Some people also read what he says wrong, then spread it as misinfo. Fatman has been right about stuff and even has people backing him up, including a dude who didn’t like us nor him before talking to him in private and the dude also backed up what he said about the Cuphead mii, but no, we’re all delusional and Fatman is just a serial liar desperate for even the smallest amount of internet clout.

Not to mention, one of the dudes they wanted to shut down Fatman in the past ended up coming to an understanding with him and any claims he may have made about Fatman “lying” before understanding him was about stuff that actually existed and ignored how Fatman never claimed it all as 100% even making it clear he was theorizing based on stuff, and one of the dudes who is a big part of why Fatman is seen as this “serial liar” in reality turned out to be a big egomaniac and serial liar himself (gee who could’ve possibly saw this coming it was so surprising that such a big leaker personality on Twitter got outed for terrible crap he’s done and his lies and his obvious, extreme narcissism - yes I kept an open mind about the Paragon stuff but even then I suspected he was lying about that and I just brought it up in here because y’know I wasn’t completely sure and stuff and I didn’t want to assume stuff surrounding serious claims and get told off for victim blaming and stuff like that).

Apparently all of the theories in here are conspiracy-level, too, whether it’s Fatman’s or someone else’s, despite being based on actual info/patterns and stuff and other people outside this thread have had similar thoughts in the past or actually have had huge stretches, but the Geno thread gets the brunt of it all even at the slightest stretch in a theory. We also get flack for being an echo chamber, as if a Geno support thread being full of support for Geno and reasons he may get in - like other support threads - is somehow a bad thing for us alone. We may not like it when other people come in just to be negative about Geno’s chances, but it’s not because we think he couldn’t possibly be left out - nah, it’s because some of these people are rude and try to police our thoughts, while any users who doubt some info and stuff but are polite about it are understandable and perfectly fine.

tl;dr people hate us, people who may not hate us may still hate it when we say why we think Geno has a good shot, the thread has had past upsets but they were understandable due to trolls and stuff, we’re somehow cultists and Fatman is our leader, Fatman is somehow a fraud and why I’m sure he isn’t, we’re a bad bad echo chamber for some reason, theories from people in here are looney bin theories for some unexplained reason.

Not sure if I got everything related to this stuff, but y’all feel free to say some stuff too if I missed anything.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Ok lads can y’all have a page where you’re not discussing “the haters” like it’s making you seem like a cult more than you usually are.

EDIT: Okay bad timing to use that metaphor and I gotta say I love culty supporters-bases. Ridley, K. Rool, Daisy, dabbled with most of em and went along for the ride as level four cultist on the latter one but this whole “us vs the haters” thing was always the thing the quickest to get old, though great for morale. I love this fanbase for the two weeks I’ve been in it and the speculation is great but the rethoric here can be a lil toxic at times.

MORE EDITS I GUESS
This has nothing to do with Fatman, again love his speculation and the theories are mostly seen as shots in the dark here and even if not they’re backed up and even then just really par of the course for the overall fandoms pattern-finding but some of y’all take the “savior” in “star savior” a lil real

AGAIN AN EDIT
ok yeah i see the newcomer speculation thread now and theyre talking about geno so the target on your back seems to be more real than in other cults but its paintball, not a war

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Still love/hate how we're called the leap in logic fanbase from the same group that genuinely believed an Overwatch bag confirmed Tracer and an obviously fake 4chan leak confirmed KOS-MOS
The delusional calling us delusional? Sounds like par for the course with the internet.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Another thing to note is that people can't always get what they want. That said, that goes for Geno fans, too, but that applies to those not wanting Geno in Smash Bros. Ultimate as well. There is no crying over spilled milk about it. There is no need to worry about people not getting what they want in terms of Geno not getting in Smash Bros. Ultimate anyway. There is no harm if he gets in.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Ok lads can y’all have a page where you’re not discussing “the haters” like it’s making you seem like a cult more than you usually are.

EDIT: Okay bad timing to use that metaphor and I gotta say I love culty supporters-bases. Ridley, K. Rool, Daisy, dabbled with most of em and went along for the ride as level four cultist on the latter one but this whole “us vs the haters” thing was always the thing the quickest to get old, though great for morale. I love this fanbase for the two weeks I’ve been in it and the speculation is great but the rethoric here can be a lil toxic at times.

MORE EDITS I GUESS
This has nothing to do with Fatman, again love his speculation and the theories are mostly seen as shots in the dark here and even if not they’re backed up and even then just really par of the course for the overall fandoms pattern-finding but some of y’all take the “savior” in “star savior” a lil real

AGAIN AN EDIT
ok yeah i see the newcomer speculation thread now and theyre talking about geno so the target on your back seems to be more real than in other cults but its paintball, not a war
You haven't edited your comment enough. I need clarification on a variety of things.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
What are yall doing in 11 days???
NASCAR race on the 19th. Debating whether or not I want to sit in the sun for 3-4 hours in middle of the day Texas heat.

I also wouldn't stress about waiting for a direct. You make 11 days feel like 22 days doing that. (From past experience)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
One other thing, despite at attempts to police and silence us, as well as mock us and make us look bad, they are not actually in that kind of position to do that to us in the first place. They are not supposed to have that kind of power over us, for no one is supposed to. They are just acting like dictator wannabes by truing to put us down when they do not have any power over us or our free will, let alone not actually know us that well.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
That's a joke...now please clarify :4pacman:

EDIT: SSGuy SSGuy Who would want to be in Texas heat for that long!?! (Central Texas guy here)
Right, must‘ve misread the message haha.

I think the message below yours proves the point of some people taking it weirdly far. I think other speculators have just kind of given up so the fact that the Geno topic still very much has that “ballot energy” might be unconventional. I haven’t seen many speculation groups go further than the basic pattern seeking so the fact you seem to have actual theories is both impressive and might also seem too ambitious, especially when rethoric like “they are dictators that are policing us but we will be victorious“ seems to be a regular occurence. Like, you’re allowed to care and it might suck that others don’t see it your way but using that to create an artificial “us vs them, winners vs losers, we go to war” attitude only widens the gap, thus creating more ire, thus stirring the underground resistance rebels narrative even more et cetera.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

MORE EDITS I GUESS

AGAIN AN EDIT
To be honest I guess we really should just not give a crap about what people say and what they believe about us, but it’s incredibly frustrating, y’know? There’s also some stuff that some people do to Fatman which are pretty terrible and scummy actions, which of course we’d be upset about if it was to anyone here but it’s mostly all done to him so y’know.

Everything I’ve mentioned in my previous post is also true. While yes I guess bringing it up could widen the gap, it’s still frustrating and stuff...I at least don’t harass anyone about it and just may argue sometimes, same with others in here, but it is hard to ignore people treating us all as boogeymen...

I don’t really like the whole “war” or “winners vs. losers” mindsets either, and I personally don’t have those, although it is feeling like some sort of unfair battle since it feels like if Geno doesn’t get in we’ll all continue to be seen as delusional and stupid and etcetera...

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Right, must‘ve misread the message haha.

I think the message below yours proves the point of some people taking it weirdly far. I think other speculators have just kind of given up so the fact that the Geno topic still very much has that “ballot energy” might be unconventional. I haven’t seen many speculation groups go further than the basic pattern seeking so the fact you seem to have actual theories is both impressive and might also seem too ambitious, especially when rethoric like “they are dictators that are policing us but we will be victorious“ seems to be a regular occurence. Like, you’re allowed to care and it might suck that others don’t see it your way but using that to create an artificial “us vs them, winners vs losers, we go to war” attitude only widens the gap, thus creating more ire, thus stirring the underground resistance rebels narrative even more et cetera.
I agree with you on this point. We certainly seem like a "Flat-Earther Hub" as someone put it if you were to just skim through our words. In all honesty, this has been the most tame we have been in months, since all the "Drama" has come and gone.

So to jump start some discussion.

If they decided to add an expansionn to World of Light. Would you want Geno to be the 1st fighter to free the other DLC fighters? If not, who could fill that spot?

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I'll say this too: No one genuinely spends this much time and energy bellyaching over something they're not afraid is gonna happen. If they really thought Geno had little to no shot, they probably just wouldn't talk about him at much even if they hated the idea of him in Smash. For example, I personally hate the idea of Goku in Smash for obvious reasons, but I'm confident he isn't happening so I don't complain about him to high heaven.
The truth is, these people are trying to convince no one but themselves. They see Geno's evidence and they've seen how solid it is, but they've spent pretty much a year at this point trying to convince themselves that it means nothing because in reality, it actually is pretty substantial. Back in the first half of 2019, Geno was dead in the water. A DQ character was either highly likely or confirmed and his costume was almost a guarantee to come back. And guess what? Despite Geno's chances actually looking grim at the time, the hate mob that's currently surrounding him seemed almost non-existent. That's because they weren't worried, Geno had little evidence back then so they didn't have to try and justify their viewpoints by being jerks. Now that Geno has evidence though, the hate mob is back with a vengeance. They're not bashing Geno because they think he's unlikely, they're bashing Geno because they're afraid they may actually lose the same damn fight for the 4th time in a row.
And then you drop the mic.

But yeah, that basically sums a lot of the resentment we see for characters, really. Nobody wants to admit it, but most of that hate comes from the fear that those characters might be included in place of the ones we want. The reason Stevebros created the Grotesque Steve meme is to mitigate their fears that Banjo would get in instead of Steve by shaming them and deriding their pick as unlikely compared. The reason people in the Newcomer Thread generalize the Geno Thread as delusional cultists is so that they can easily disregard their claims about Geno possibly coming to Smash and continue circlejerking about the characters they actually want. The reason Geno Thread doesn't think too highly about 2B or Sora is because they're in direct competition with Geno as the "Square Rep".

have you already talked about this?

Yeah, it was a couple pages back, I believe.

D0ct0r

Smash Cadet
TBH, I honestly feel as though if it were between Waluigi and Geno, Nintendo would definitely pick Waluigi.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
And then you drop the mic.

But yeah, that basically sums a lot of the resentment we see for characters, really. Nobody wants to admit it, but most of that hate comes from the fear that those characters might be included in place of the ones we want. The reason Stevebros created the Grotesque Steve meme is to mitigate their fears that Banjo would get in instead of Steve by shaming them and deriding their pick as unlikely compared. The reason people in the Newcomer Thread generalize the Geno Thread as delusional cultists is so that they can easily disregard their claims about Geno possibly coming to Smash and continue circlejerking about the characters they actually want. The reason Geno Thread doesn't think too highly about 2B or Sora is because they're in direct competition with Geno as the "Square Rep".

Yeah, it was a couple pages back, I believe.
Regarding Stevebros, the majority of them didn’t actually like or use Grotesque Steve, at least not as anything more than a funny-lookin’ render. I’m not even sure the 4chan dudes (and some dudes on Twitter) were anything more than trolls, as actual Steve fans on Twitter began to get harassed by people using the render, too, treating us like they treated other characters’ fans. The trolls even got SteveForSmash false-banned 2 or 3 times and raided their discord, and so the hate we got as Steve fans started to feel like the hate we here get as Geno fans although I guess it wasn’t as bad, just the discord raid that happened in the past had disgusting horrible stuff I thankfully didn’t see but others did unfortunately...

also it was all pretty stupid and annoying having to see Banjo vs. Steve crap as someone who loves and wants both in the game, at least we got B-K...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

11 days we’ll see ether bettering my island in Animal Crossing: New Horizons

or something else.

But watching the Direct if French Pokémon fan Kelios is right.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Yeah, they were the people who expect Bomberman instead of Ridley, Ashley instead of K Rool and Steve instead of Banjo, and what happened?
Ridley Hits in a Big Time!
King K Rool Comes Aboard!
Banjo and Kazooie are Raring to Go!
And now they are expecting Paper Mario, 2B, Crono, Neku, Sephiroth, Sora or Lara Croft and what will happen in the Rumored July 20th direct?
Geno Reaches the Seven Stars!

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I find the aversion to speculation in the Smash community odd.

Do we reach sometimes? Sure. But we're talking about a game where Piranha Plant is playable. It's fun to talk about these possibilities, regardless of how likely they are, since sometimes it's the crazy stuff that ends up being accurate.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Yeah, they were the people who expect Bomberman instead of Ridley, Ashley instead of K Rool and Steve instead of Banjo, and what happened?
Ridley Hits in a Big Time!
King K Rool Comes Aboard!
Banjo and Kazooie are Raring to Go!
And now they are expecting Paper Mario, 2B, Crono, Neku, Sephiroth, Sora or Lara Croft and what will happen in the Rumored July 20th direct?
Geno Reaches the Seven Stars!
Ah, yes, Ashley and K. Rool. Two fanbases notable for their constant rivarly with eachother

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well, halle-damn-lujah, Lord Woomy, you couldn't have put it better.

After Ridley, King K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie were introduced into this game, you'd think that they'd learn. But the sad truth is, as much as I'm anxious to admit, these kind of people are the kind who are desperately looking for a character to hate on. They don't care for whether or not they have a reason to, they'll just vent towards the character and the fans that follow them. And if that character ends up confirmed for Smash, they'll just move on to another character to hate on. It's a horrid cycle. I'm happy for the iron fans that stood their ground for those characters for all those years, but these detractors are fighting character fanbases to win here, which is not even the point. I know it's human nature to want to win something, but after a three-loss streak for those characters, I'm kinda scared for what'll happen when they actually do lose the battle for the 4th time in a row.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
>When Genobros continue to come up with new Geno splash screen text that sucks major balls compared to "GENO Gives It A Whirl"
Geno BOI.png

I find the aversion to speculation in the Smash community odd.

Do we reach sometimes? Sure. But we're talking about a game where Piranha Plant is playable. It's fun to talk about these possibilities, regardless of how likely they are, since sometimes it's the crazy stuff that ends up being accurate.
Honestly, people are just burnt out with speculation nowadays. After all of the constant guessing game **** with insiders back in December, and all of the waiting and anticipation for FP5 since November being met with the character equivalent of a wet fart, it's left most people so demoralized that they would rather just sit around talking about who they want to see rather than piecing together who it will be. It also doesn't help that a lot of the smaller fanbases have come to the realization that, with five more slots left, their characters are likely not going to make it, so in order to save themselves somewhat from the inevitable pain of them not getting the character they want, they opt to drop speculation altogether. Safety in indifference, basically: If you don't care, the inevitable pain will hurt less.

There was a rivalry. I remember a ton of art of K Rool and the Belmonts making fun of Ashley. Don't try to act condescending.
To be fair, most if not all of that was made after K. Rool was revealed.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay, it appears the messages were legitimate. Still, I don't think we should worry too much, there's more going on in Geno's favor right now and Waluigi, if he does happen, won't be in this pass.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Right, It definitely feels like a suppression thing cause Geno seems to become the subject lately, but not believing papagenos theories isn’t malicious. I don’t doubt you guys get ire cause yeah the Smash community rolls like that.

Also yeah I think the Ashley thing was actually the K. Rool supporters feeling vindicative about being relevant or something, especially since a notorious Ashley fan had an unfortunate reaction to the Belmonts

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...is there any minutia regarding Geno we've not discussed yet?
Actually, there wasn't... until the previews for The Origami King hit today and I just thought of a topic that can somehow actually happen: This may be the perfect time for a revival of Super Mario RPG. I will try to make a post later, but I think this is the one of the best opportunities for Nintendo to bring it back.

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Okay, it appears the messages were legitimate. Still, I don't think we should worry too much, there's more going on in Geno's favor right now and Waluigi, if he does happen, won't be in this pass.
Based on what it is...

Geno, or both.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Actually, there wasn't... until the previews for The Origami King hit today and I just thought of a topic that can somehow actually happen: This may be the perfect time for a revival of Super Mario RPG. I will try to make a post later, but I think this is the one of the best opportunities for Nintendo to bring it back.
Oh it would be a lovely way to rebrand the Mario & Luigi series now that AlphaDream is down!

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I must ask. Where is the rumored July 20th Direct rumor coming from? I've been hearing from people that someone who is very credible leaked a Direct for that date.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I must ask. Where is the rumored July 20th Direct rumor coming from? I've been hearing from people that someone who is very credible leaked a Direct for that date.
I believe it was from Nate Drake, and maybe Kelly’s.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
If Geno has a chance,he's either the next character or the last one. I just feel it in the bones

MattX20

Smash Hero
All the coincidences and circumstantial evidence like how the last two spirit events to have new spirits involved Square Enix properties give off the impression that a Square character is next

Edelgard von Hresvelg

Smash Rookie
While franchises shouldn't be given slots for the sake of getting one, Zelda is FAR overdue for a new rep. The last one was Toon Link in Brawl, and as a clone! Zelda rakes in money just on name alone. The fact that its been over ten years since a new character is insanity.
A reminder that the Zelda series largely focuses on a few characters (Link, Zelda, sometimes Ganon) with very few other recurring ones. It's not an issue of whether the Zelda series is popular or deserving, but what kind of source material there is to warrant a new staple fighter. And that's entirely not Sakurai's fault. Same thing with Metroid.

Compare that to Pokemon or Fire Emblem, where one of the main draws and mechanics of those series is a new or expanding cast of characters. Each new entry brings in dozens of new characters--new protagonists even in the case of Fire Emblem--and thus, it's easy to pick and add new ones into Smash.

/reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom