• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
didn’t Nintendo just recently come out and say they’re not doing directs and don’t plan on doing one any time soon. I dunno why people still believe one is gonna happen.
They didn't say that, what they said is that they're considering other forms of delivering information to us. What that may be is up in the air.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
At present day, quite a number of gaming news outlets and YouTube channels have spoken or are aware of the supposed Nintendo Direct rumors which is thought to happen sometime within this month (July). True that some while ago Nintendo mentioned something along the lines of telling its partners to "not wait for them to make their own announcements" and to "send them Direct material around fall". However, what these rumors might be pointing to could be a Mario-focused Direct (or first party-focused Direct). We'll just have to keep watch.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
At present day, quite a number of gaming news outlets and YouTube channels have spoken or are aware of the supposed Nintendo Direct rumors which is thought to happen sometime within this month (July). True that some while ago Nintendo mentioned something along the lines of telling its partners to "not wait for them to make their own announcements" and to "send them Direct material around fall". However, what these rumors might be pointing to could be a Mario-focused Direct (or first party-focused Direct). We'll just have to keep watch.
After watching the video you posted and just going off a simple process of elimination...We could very well see a Mario focused Direct. It honestly makes some sense especially when you consider.

-Mario collection and 3D world rumors have been circulating for a long while now.
-"The Direct material for around Fall" for 3 party partners. Basically eliminating any 3rd party news in their Directs til Fall.

I guess we shall see.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
This is something I have not realized until now, but out of all the highly requested characters in the world, Sakurai has commented on 4 character's popularity in the past, and 3 out of those 4 characters eventually made it in Smash.

*I'm pretty sure everyone here knows of when Sakurai commented on Ridley's popularity explaining he is aware of the requests to see him included, but he wasn't able to make Ridley fit due to his size. Fast forward to Ultimate, and Ridley gets included.

*While Sakurai didn't necessarily point out the requests for King K. Rool, I am 100% sure the K. Rool Mii Outfit in Smash 4 was due to the popularity of the character.

*Sakurai made note of Banjo & Kazooie's popularity way back in the Melee days. He said that due to the requests to see Banjo & Kazooie in Smash, he wanted to at least have Banjo & Kazooie cameo as a trophy, but couldn't get the license from Rare in time.

*And then we get to Geno. Sakurai, much like K. Rool, added a Geno Mii Outfit due to the popularity of this character. Sakurai also went further and discussed in an interview that he wanted to see Geno get in Smash since Brawl, but it never ended up materializing.

The point I am trying to make here is that their have been four characters where Sakurai has openly discussed about their popularity, and 3 of those 4 eventually did make it in Smash. If Sakurai made note of the popularity of Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo and then include them as playable characters, chances are Geno will have the same fate as well.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Plus, if the supposed Direct is Mario centric, Geno being revealed during it would still fall in line

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
This is something I have not realized until now, but out of all the highly requested characters in the world, Sakurai has commented on 4 character's popularity in the past, and 3 out of those 4 characters eventually made it in Smash.

*I'm pretty sure everyone here knows of when Sakurai commented on Ridley's popularity explaining he is aware of the requests to see him included, but he wasn't able to make Ridley fit due to his size. Fast forward to Ultimate, and Ridley gets included.

*While Sakurai didn't necessarily point out the requests for King K. Rool, I am 100% sure the K. Rool Mii Outfit in Smash 4 was due to the popularity of the character.

*Sakurai made note of Banjo & Kazooie's popularity way back in the Melee days. He said that due to the requests to see Banjo & Kazooie in Smash, he wanted to at least have Banjo & Kazooie cameo as a trophy, but couldn't get the license from Rare in time.

*And then we get to Geno. Sakurai, much like K. Rool, added a Geno Mii Outfit due to the popularity of this character. Sakurai also went further and discussed in an interview that he wanted to see Geno get in Smash since Brawl, but it never ended up materializing.

The point I am trying to make here is that their have been four characters where Sakurai has openly discussed about their popularity, and 3 of those 4 eventually did make it in Smash. If Sakurai made note of the popularity of Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo and then include them as playable characters, chances are Geno will have the same fate as well.
So what you're saying is...
7c687debe61f4b5aca1f1465811bbd05.jpg

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm on it: Hey papagenos papagenos ! There is a Japanese Star Festival called Tanabata that takes place on July 7th.
Oh, he knows. He's going to travel there dressed as Geno and during the event perform the 'Dance of the Ultimate Stars' while a death metal power ballad version of 'Beware the Forest Mushrooms' plays in the background. Hopefully he updates his Geno costume this time so he's not JUST wearing a hat and cape.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even if it doesn't happen on the 7th, we still have the rest of the month ahead of us for a potential direct/or reveal of FP7

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I am honestly just impressed with how all these little coincidences have just lined up. I swear, if we do get an announcement for either a Mini Direct or Mario Direct on the 7th, I might just lose my mind.

However, until GameXplain puts up a video about July Direct rumors (Since they usually only report on stuff that is normally likely to happen), I will wait patiently.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I am honestly just impressed with how all these little coincidences have just lined up. I swear, if we do get an announcement for either a Mini Direct or Mario Direct on the 7th, I might just lose my mind.

However, until GameXplain puts up a video about July Direct rumors (Since they usually only report on stuff that is normally likely to happen), I will wait patiently.
PushDustin's a pretty credible source, and he doesn't report on rumors unless the person or people turn out to be legit, which is basically what he was saying about the guy who mentioned a Direct of some kind in July

AugustusB

Smash Champion
PushDustin's a pretty credible source, and he doesn't report on rumors unless the person or people turn out to be legit, which is basically what he was saying about the guy who mentioned a Direct of some kind in July
100% Agree. But they are usually the LAST line of defense normally.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Even without rumors and insider stuff, you'd figure they announce "something" in July:

-Cancelled their Spring, Mario, and E3 presentations.

-Last major game reveal was Paper Mario and the Horny Mommy Fling back in May.

-Historically they rarely make big game announcements in August.

-Was largely empty handed at the annual investor's meeting but said their holiday line up is on schedule.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Excuse me, the what now?

Also, I know you haven't discussed him yet, but do you think that instead of Geno being revealed as the Mario character (if we get a Mario related thing), it'll be Waluigi?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even without rumors and insider stuff, you'd figure they announce "something" in July:

-Cancelled their Spring, Mario, and E3 presentations.

-Historically they rarely make big game announcements in August.

-Was largely empty handed at the annual investor's meeting but said their holiday line up is on schedule.
If I had to guess, the rumored direct going on right now for July might be a mini direct like in March/the Mario centric one which could certainly tie into FP7 if Geno is it

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Excuse me, the what now?

Also, I know you haven't discussed him yet, but do you think that instead of Geno being revealed as the Mario character (if we get a Mario related thing), it'll be Waluigi?
You know, the Horny Mommy Fling; Paper Mario's latest exciting adventure.

Also, in the event of a Mario presentation, I feel like there will be things that have been kept deep under wraps that nobody has managed to get out or hear of. The Mario remasters seem way too surface level at this point to be the "big" announcements of a hypothetical Mario presentation so I think people should go in expecting the unexpected.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
You know, the Horny Mommy Fling; Paper Mario's latest exciting adventure.

Also, in the event of a Mario presentation, I feel like there will be things that have been kept deep under wraps that nobody has managed to get out or hear of. The Mario remasters seem way too surface level at this point to be the "big" announcements of a hypothetical Mario presentation so I think people should go in expecting the unexpected.
Mario Kart 9? That would feel like a dream come true for me

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Eh, until Nintendo actually does something, I'm taking these insider murmurs with a grain a salt, mostly because of being cynical due to Nintendo's horrible track record this year.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Probably never going to happen, but what if this alleged Direct (mini or otherwise) announces that SMRPG is coming to NSO, and all the characters exclusive to it are now owned by Nintendo? They could show Paper Geno and Mallow joining the cast of Paper Mario (maybe as DLC), Geno in Smash, and then announce all the Mario remasters before ending with Mario Kart 9 reveal.
I think that’d be my ideal Mario 35 Direct.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Probably never going to happen, but what if this alleged Direct (mini or otherwise) announces that SMRPG is coming to NSO, and all the characters exclusive to it are now owned by Nintendo? They could show Paper Geno and Mallow joining the cast of Paper Mario (maybe as DLC), Geno in Smash, and then announce all the Mario remasters before ending with Mario Kart 9 reveal.
I think that’d be my ideal Mario 35 Direct.
And then a Smash trailer with Geno as number 7, followed with Mallow as a bonus DLC.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I've been over this before but even if Nintendo DID own the Mario RPG cast they probably still wouldn't do anything with them. They might have appeared in more Mario and Luigi stuff which would be cool, and I'd say it's somewhat likely the only reason Geno didn't get in Brawl was Square being Square based on what Sakurai said (or rather didn't say). But otherwise? People consider it a crazy moment when Dixie Kong, DIXIE KONG is in a Mario Kart mobile gacha game, and yet people seem to think that if Nintendo owned them they'd actually use them, even though the last time ANY of the RPG's were awknowledged in any capacity in a non-RPG Mario game was what, Mario 64 DS? Fortune Street if you want to count the music remix, and even then that wasn't made by Nintendo. They flat out seem to want to avoid using anything from them anymore, christ even Paper Mario seems to still avoid any amount of original characters or designs outside of whatever the Paper Gimmick needs.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
And then a Smash trailer with Geno as number 7, followed with Mallow as a bonus DLC.
I mentioned Geno in Smash! The way I see it—

Direct begins with the Smash logo:
-Geno trailer with Mallow and Smithy costumes shown
-Super Mario RPG coming to NSO
-Paper Mario Geno + Mallow partners revealed (possibly as DLC if the Direct is shown after Paper Mario releases)
-More Mario LEGO nonsense
-Super Mario 64 Remaster announced, followed immediately by Sunshine, Galaxies, and 3D World. All of them released individually because I doubt Nintendo would package them all together.
-Direct closes with a very quick teaser for Mario Kart 9. A trailer would be nice, but Nintendo would probably not want to overwhelm people, and they’ll probably think that the remasters are doorbustery enough.

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I mentioned Geno in Smash! The way I see it—

Direct begins with the Smash logo:
-Geno trailer with Mallow and Smithy costumes shown
-Super Mario RPG coming to NSO
-Paper Mario Geno + Mallow partners revealed (possibly as DLC if the Direct is shown after Paper Mario releases)
-More Mario LEGO nonsense
-Super Mario 64 Remaster announced, followed immediately by Sunshine, Galaxies, and 3D World. All of them released individually because I doubt Nintendo would package them all together.
-Direct closes with a very quick teaser for Mario Kart 9. A trailer would be nice, but Nintendo would probably not want to overwhelm people, and they’ll probably think that the remasters are doorbustery enough.
Love all of this, but I’m still caught up on a Mario Kart 9. I feel like it will cannabalize the sales of 8 Deluxe. I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to MK9, but from a business perspective, I would release it closer to the end of the Switch’s life cycle to try and push some extra units.

but hey, that’s why I’m a marine biologist and not a CEO. I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Also I think we are deeply underestimating the likelihood of Nintendo blindsiding us with a Mario sports title. Nate Drake said no to golf, but I’m thinking a Sports Mix or another Strikers entry will be coming eventually. Or even a Super Mario Party 2...we are about due for another Mario spin-off of unpredictable quality.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
They never used King K because they wanted to do "their own thing". I highly doubt Retro Studios is going to add King K in just because of Smash.
I thought there was something out there about how Retro wanted to bring K. Rool back for the Tropical Freeze Switch port but Sakurai kinda vetoed it because he wanted Smash to be K. Rool's triumphant return first? I know someone knows what I'm talking about and can provide a reference, but regardless, Retro does pay attention and care about K. Rool post-ballot and I would respectfully disagree with the idea that the ballot results are meaningless to Nintendo outside of Smash.
I highly doubt they would buy them outright. Collaborate and let Square do more with the character? Sure... but not buy right out. I have said it before and I say it again. If Nintendo did not buy Rare when Banjo Kazooie where one of the big hitters with the N64, or them not even trying to get access to the IP from Rare for more games now concidering the massive celebration their inclusion was, there is no way they buy the SMRPG rights.
I agree with you, but you can't compare late '90s Nintendo buying an entire 3rd-party Western studio with 2020 Nintendo buying the rights to a 1st-party game from the 3rd-party Japanese studio who helped create it, one that currently has a great relationship with Nintendo and is otherwise not making use of any of that game's elements at all, I might add.

It's not an equal equivalency, Nintendo 20+ years ago was wildly different in so many different ways to Nintendo now. One thing I might add, is that as far as we know, Nintendo is still choosing the fighters for FP2, in that they're providing Sakurai with a list and he's choosing the characters. If Geno really is FP7 or otherwise shows up in this pass, yes, Sakurai chose him. But he was put on that list by Nintendo, and the only reason he would be on Nintendo's list is because of the longstanding fan support and a strong ballot showing, just like Ridley, K. Rool, the Belmonts - basically almost every single base newcomer came about as a result of ballot popularity except Incinceroar and (possibly) Ken - and also Banjo.

So if Geno has enough fan support that Nintendo took notice and gave Sakurai the go-ahead to put him in Smash, introduce him to the mainstream again and further increase his exposure and popularity, it makes perfect sense that Nintendo would try to buy the rights to SMRPG so that they can capitalize on it by including Geno in other Mario games without the need to involve SE every time. Does it make it likely, or a foregone conclusion? No, but if the dominoes fall, there's definitely a >0% chance. Smash will be the catalyst though, so first we need to actually get him in as a playable character.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I thought there was something out there about how Retro wanted to bring K. Rool back for the Tropical Freeze Switch port but Sakurai kinda vetoed it because he wanted Smash to be K. Rool's triumphant return first? I know someone knows what I'm talking about and can provide a reference, but regardless, Retro does pay attention and care about K. Rool post-ballot and I would respectfully disagree with the idea that the ballot results are meaningless to Nintendo outside of Smash.
Like I told R RetrogamerMax . If the reason they did not include King K in the Switch port was Sakurai called "dibs"..... If that´s the cause, they could easily just talked through with Nintendo, and plan the port to release AFTER the release of Smash Brothers. So the notion of "Sakurai calling dibs" is something that I call bull**** on.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If it helps, I believe it was a guy from DK Vine having some sort-of source on the subject, and he spoke about it in this podcast I believe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqYnzuV6Lsw

Unfortunately, it's over 3 hours long, and I don't remember the timestamp; I just remember it from 2018...outside of what he said, I only remember vague stuff about the time, and it won't help, but it may have been somewhere in the middle of the stream...

Like I told R RetrogamerMax . If the reason they did not include King K in the Switch port was Sakurai called "dibs"..... If that´s the cause, they could easily just talked through with Nintendo, and plan the port to release AFTER the release of Smash Brothers. So the notion of "Sakurai calling dibs" is something that I call bull**** on.
Considering it released earlier in 2018, in May, it's possible they didn't want to hold off on it very long. The dude in the podcast also mentioned Nintendo wouldn't let them use K. Rool when they wanted to iirc, though I think it was that they wanted to use him in their new DK games originally, only for Nintendo to say no.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
If it helps, I believe it was a guy from DK Vine having some sort-of source on the subject, and he spoke about it in this podcast I believe:

Unfortunately, it's over 3 hours long, and I don't remember the timestamp; I just remember it from 2018...outside of what he said, I only remember vague stuff about the time, and it won't help, but it may have been somewhere in the middle of the stream...

Considering it released earlier in 2018, in May, it's possible they didn't want to hold off on it very long. The dude in the podcast also mentioned Nintendo wouldn't let them use K. Rool when they wanted to iirc, though I think it was that they wanted to use him in their new DK games originally, only for Nintendo to say no.
It is towards the end of the video. Around 3:20:00

It's awesome to hear about this again. K Rool was such a never ever for sooo long. Hopefully Geno can make that stride along with him, Ridley and Banjo and Kazooie.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Unfortunately, it's over 3 hours long, and I don't remember the timestamp; I just remember it from 2018...outside of what he said, I only remember vague stuff about the time, and it won't help...
It's right at the tail end of the podcast at 3:25:50

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It is towards the end of the video. Around 3:20:00

It's awesome to hear about this again. K Rool was such a never ever for sooo long. Hopefully Geno can make that stride along with him, Ridley and Banjo and Kazooie.
It's right at the tail end of the podcast at 3:25:50
Oh, alright. Thank you. I had a feeling whatever I said about the time wasn't going to help at all.

edit: so, he doesn't say Retro out-right, it seems, but he does mention how parties within Nintendo wanted to bring K. Rool back, but people shut them down...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Now, the question becomes this: when in July to expect the rumored direct? That's going to be the main question to ask starting on Monday next week.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Wouldn't it be funny if Geno became the star of the show and stole the thunder of everything else in the direct?

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
The Doom Eternal port for the Switch is finally getting more news soon, as well as the release date.
The question is: will we get it in the rumored July Direct? And if so, could it tie into you know what?

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Now, the question becomes this: when in July to expect the rumored direct? That's going to be the main question to ask starting on Monday next week.
Well, if it's a normal Direct, we should see an announcement tomorrow. If it's a Direct Mini, then expect it to be shadow dropped like in March.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Probably not July 7th as people like people are hoping it'll be. Kelios stated that Nintendo is trying to do a July direct (and John Harker claimed that a direct is in production). Kelios later also stated that "nothing has been locked yet". Now obviously he could have had outdated information from early June or so, in which a direct date hadn't been finalized; but maybe it's been finalized now. But assuming the information is current and accurate, that just shows that Nintendo is playing things by ear and that it is probably in the latter half of the month. I've stated it before but the 3rd week right after Paper Mario releases is the most likely unless it's a Mario focused direct in which case it would make sense for it to be right before Paper Mario comes out.

The Doom Eternal port for the Switch is finally getting more news soon, as well as the release date.
The question is: will we get it in the rumored July Direct? And if so, could it tie into you know what?
Unrelated to the direct, but the latest we can get this info is around early August when QuakeCon happens; which is still "relatively soon". And unless Doomguy is 7 (or 8 if its a double reveal in the July Direct); it's pretty unlikely for it to tie into Cacomallow as chances are that 7 at the earliest is probably coming out in September with the mii costumes being revealed around then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom