• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Realistically, what do you guys think are the chances we get something smash related this July? (Hoping for fighter 7) Since Min Min was supposed to be an April release, I'm assuming 7 was gonna be shown off at E3, so I don't think it's too farfetched to get something soon.
While there may not be any delays due to cabanabeerus, I don't think they're ready to go back to normal reveal/release schedule just yet. They're probably going to continue to space things out on a 2-3 month basis or so, even if that means sitting on finished fighters until just the right time. I mean, they totally have the time to do so, and more time in between reveals and releases means more time fine-tuning the fighters. As such, I'm not holding my breath on a July reveal. I think the next fighter will most likely be revealed and/or released some time around September, since that their usual Fall Direct time. Not a guarentee, of course, but it could happen.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's not even just the third party aspect to me. I looked at K. Rool and Ridley and realized I had gotten so used to them, with their past fan outcry only consciously registering to me when I thought about it. That's crazy to me. The fact all of this could somehow become normal in of itself could cause a breakdown for someone. Makes me wonder how I would see Geno over time come his arrival and beyond.
K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie were literally my most wanted characters since Melee. I waited 17 to 18 years before they all got in and it still feels surreal to me seeing them on the character select screen.

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Did the Geno thread order another round of awesome fanart? No? Well AdamBel brought some anyways!

View attachment 276872

View attachment 276873
View attachment 276874

(Hopefully you guys aren't getting annoyed by me showing the thread fanart. I just figured you guys would like it.)

As an aside, I've been seeing a lot more Super Mario RPG fanart recently. I'm not even seeking it out and it just pops up! Maybe it's a sign of things to come? Maybe it's a sign that more people care about Super Mario RPG than just a specific sect of Smash fans and the game isn't a super niche thing nobody cares about? (GameFaqs weeps in the distance)
This reminds me, I used to think Geno´s nose was his mouth when I was a kid.

QQS

Smash Lord
So it’s actually July 1th, this Saturday 4th it’s my 30° birthday, Geno has been part of my life since 1996, Spirits officially do not deconfirm, we are about 100 pages more to the next milestone of 3.000 insane pages, Min Min just gets released, Geno chances has never been that bright and clear since ages, we have solid evidence on The Essay from Fatmanonice Fatmanonice & The List from Polarthief Polarthief and the stars are aligning for Geno to be Fighter #77 of Challenger Pack #7 from the game “Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 stars” to be revealed on 7/7 (or the week later). papagenos papagenos

GENO SHINES LIKE A STAR!

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
So knowing Square and how they can be, do you guys think Geno would even be considered a "Mario Series" character if he got in? Do you think he'd have the mushroom emblem like the rest of the Mario cast? For some reason I feel like he'd be separated from the other Mario characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So knowing Square and how they can be, do you guys think Geno would even be considered a "Mario Series" character if he got in? Do you think he'd have the mushroom emblem like the rest of the Mario cast? For some reason I feel like he'd be separated from the other Mario characters.
Yes. Cause he's not from another series. He's not like Yoshi who had the right timing to promote a current game. He's not like Wario where WarioWare is nothing like the Super Mario series anymore. Wario Land is clearly an offshoot of Super Mario like Yoshi is. WarioWare definitely is not like that. It's not even like Mario Party, the only thing kind of close to it.

Super Mario RPG is still part of the normal Mario series. The only one of the RPG's that really branches out in terms of even artstyle overall is Paper Mario, and that's due to an actual different type of world. Super Mario RPG is in 3D, so while it does have a different artstyle, it's meant to clearly try and emulate the Mario cast quite well, despite having unique monsters who are expies of the actual Mario ones. Chained Kong and its counterparts are literally a Donkey Kong expy. There's a lot of unique ones too, but it doesn't remotely distance itself outright from regular Super Mario. Mario & Luigi originally did distant itself, but for the most part, it did the same thing. So.

It probably helps that Mario in SMRPG and M&L still looks like the current Mario. He doesn't feel like a really different take on it. Paper Mario however has far more changes after being edited from Super Mario RPG 2. They attempted to change small things about his aesthetics. He's no longer happy-go-lucky to the same degree. He clearly takes notes from SMRPG(animations to a degree. How he explains things, though this is present in M&L respectively too). Namely them saying gibberish while telling a story. But hey, SMRPG outright helped create both of these offshoot series. They'd never work without it. It's a pretty noticeable legacy. Paper Mario was able to massively differentiate itself, though Mario & Luigi didn't do so to the same degree. M&L already kept timed hits, but also brought in the same inventory system for equipment specifically. One badge, one armor. Weapons were done a little bit more like Paper Mario, though. The puzzles are also a combination of both games, where transformations are closer to Paper Mario, but the overworld stuff and aiming where to go is clearly from SMRPG.

Getting back ontrack, I don't see why it would need a new symbol. The only one who could make sense is Paper Mario, as he's noted as not the same person as regular Mario, and that doesn't necessarily matter. Also, I mean, it's called Super Mario RPG. Why wouldn't it fit into the Super Mario character series? It's a little easier to justify a lot of games when they have entirely different names too within the franchise. (And let's not even try to get into Donkey Kong Country being a Super Mario spinoff. Ugh. That's always been super misleading. It spunoff from Donkey Kong Arcade specifically. It's the same universe, which is the only reason why the crossovers are constant. Why wouldn't they be? Mario and Donkey Kong know each other. They can easily get together to play Golf, etc. That makes sense. Same with the Wario series, though WarioWare seems to not matter. Etc.)

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I can see them easily giving Geno a star symbol of some kind, but as an absolute minimum were gonna see home get a new jingle (we all already know the obvious contender too)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I won a contest that was a collaboration between Operation Starfall and Sean Hicks for an 8x14 art print

This image, I believe.

I'm going to get it framed after it arrives and I'll post a pic of it

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I have the weirdest gut feeling that Geno is the next fighter, and not because of "7 theory".

Griselda

Smash Lord
"7 Theory" would be nice just because of how it lines up, but I'm not sure about it personally. Although if the 7th comes and goes and Geno gets announced on the 8th, I think I am gonna be a little annoyed. Or maybe confused?
...And then I'll remember that Geno is in either way, so it doesn't matter.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"7 Theory" would be nice just because of how it lines up, but I'm not sure about it personally. Although if the 7th comes and goes and Geno gets announced on the 8th, I think I am gonna be a little annoyed. Or maybe confused?
...And then I'll remember that Geno is in either way, so it doesn't matter.
I doubt he'd be added for something like matching "7 stars". If he's 7, it'd be due to things like how soon he could be developed or when SE would agree works best. Like in time for a promotional SMRPG release on the Switch, etc.

Generally it'll be business-oriented, not for some pretty cool pattern/joke.

Now, if he is 7, I can see Sakurai making references to that number a lot because of his passion for fun teases/jokes.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie were literally my most wanted characters since Melee. I waited 17 to 18 years before they all got in and it still feels surreal to me seeing them on the character select screen.
add megaman, pacman,ryu, snake,sonic and cloud for me in that, HOLY **** IS THIS REAL, HOW IS THIS REAL mood that the character selection screams

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I 'll admit the 7 Theory is a huge stretch, but it makes so much sense to the point that it would be a huge missed opportunity to NOT have Geno as FP7.

Anyways, I've been saying for months now that Geno is FP7, but not because of the 7 Theory.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
add megaman, pacman,ryu, snake,sonic and cloud for me in that, HOLY **** IS THIS REAL, HOW IS THIS REAL mood that the character selection screams
The character select screen looks like one of those big fanmade pipe dream character select screens from back in the day:

Edit: I found it in better quality.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
The character select screen looks like one of those big fanmade pipe dream character select screens from back in the day:

Edit: I found it in better quality.
The thing I find funny about this is that this roster from the early 2000's has all sorts of Banjo characters such as, Mumbo, Bottles, Tooty, Gruntilda, Jinjos and Brenty even though we just got Banjo almost two decades later. I just find that hilarious.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The thing I find funny about this is that this roster from the early 2000's has all sorts of Banjo characters such as, Mumbo, Bottles, Tooty, Gruntilda, Jinjos and Brenty even though we just got Banjo almost two decades later. I just find that hilarious.
And Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader are on here too lmao! As well as Superman, Batman, Spider Man, and the Hulk lol! 4th party characters on a 2000s fanmade list.

I notice there are 13 characters on this list that wasn't in Melee that eventually got in like:

Pit
Villager
Diddy Kong
K. Rool
Banjo & Kazooie
Wolf
Mega Man
Sonic
Wario
King Dedede
Daisy
Olimar & Pikmin

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
7 Theory is just fun but it's honestly nothing compared to the coincidences and broken down walls that have piled up the last two years. We've documented this Tower of Babel pretty well but it keeps ****in' growing. Here's a few other things to consider:

-7 was supposed to be an E3 reveal. The first characters revealed at E3 are historically a pick that's usually on the more niche side of things (usually either casuals care more or the hardcore Smash fanbase does), one introduced to outline a new concept or break a "rule", specifically a big deal to the Smash fanbase, or a mixture of all three. 2006 was a conga line of big fan requests including Pit, reviving the then 20 year dead Kid Icarus. 2013 gave us Villager and Wii Fit and shattered the "non-fighter" rule. 2014 gave us Miis (casual pick) and Palutena (Smash fanbase pick) which introduced the concept of customization into Smash. 2015 gave us Roy, a character that had been wanted back for about 14 years at the time. 2018 gave us Daisy, not only an evergreen fan request since Melee but the character to solidify the concept of echoes. 2019 gave us Hero, bringing along 4 ALTs and the most special moves of any character ever by a considerable amount. Historically speaking, 7 will likely follow in their footsteps.

-Going off the previous point, except 2018, the highlights of Smash at E3 have typically been at least one big fan request and a major third party icon. If E3 was meant to be two reveals, this means 8. If three, 9. Like I showed, this means that 7 is specifically a big fan request (along with 8 if a triple).

-DLC coincidence: Square Enix was the second third party company to get a new character both with Smash 4 DLC and the Fighter's Pass.

-Looking at Smash history, Min-Min is probably an appetizer (dim sum?) of things to come. Mewtwo with Smash 4 not only showed they were going to bring back characters but also do big fan requests. Joker with the Fighter's Pass showed they were going to go in unexpected places. In my opinion, Min Min not only shows that they're ready to full on curbstomp fan rules but also wrangle fan picks that would have seemed impossible at any other time. Like I've been saying since last summer, I strongly believe Season 2 is going to be a dream maker in a lot of ways and Min Min is just the beginning.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
7 Theory is just fun but it's honestly nothing compared to the coincidences and broken down walls that have piled up the last two years. We've documented this Tower of Babel pretty well but it keeps ****in' growing. Here's a few other things to consider:

-7 was supposed to be an E3 reveal. The first characters revealed at E3 are historically a pick that's usually on the more niche side of things (usually either casuals care more or the hardcore Smash fanbase does), one introduced to outline a new concept or break a "rule", specifically a big deal to the Smash fanbase, or a mixture of all three. 2006 was a conga line of big fan requests including Pit, reviving the then 20 year dead Kid Icarus. 2013 gave us Villager and Wii Fit and shattered the "non-fighter" rule. 2014 gave us Miis (casual pick) and Palutena (Smash fanbase pick) which introduced the concept of customization into Smash. 2015 gave us Roy, a character that had been wanted back for about 14 years at the time. 2018 gave us Daisy, not only an evergreen fan request since Melee but the character to solidify the concept of echoes. 2019 gave us Hero, bringing along 4 ALTs and the most special moves of any character ever by a considerable amount. Historically speaking, 7 will likely follow in their footsteps.

-Going off the previous point, except 2018, the highlights of Smash at E3 have typically been at least one big fan request and a major third party icon. If E3 was meant to be two reveals, this means 8. If three, 9. Like I showed, this means that 7 is specifically a big fan request (along with 8 if a triple).

-DLC coincidence: Square Enix was the second third party company to get a new character both with Smash 4 DLC and the Fighter's Pass.

-Looking at Smash history, Min-Min is probably an appetizer (dim sum?) of things to come. Mewtwo with Smash 4 not only showed they were going to bring back characters but also do big fan requests. Joker with the Fighter's Pass showed they were going to go in unexpected places. In my opinion, Min Min not only shows that they're ready to full on curbstomp fan rules but also wrangle fan picks that would have seemed impossible at any other time. Like I've been saying since last summer, I strongly believe Season 2 is going to be a dream maker in a lot of ways and Min Min is just the beginning.
I agree. I believe with Min Min being a Spirit before hand and her being the most popular Arms character, I believe her inclusion brings good fortune to literally every fanbase of a character that isn't in yet.

MattX20

Smash Hero

I'm just hoping the reveal happens in July. I know it won't happen on my 30th birthday on the 6th, but it would be immensely appreciated to have Geno revealed as FP7 in July at all

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

If Min Min is meant to set the tone of the pass, I’d argue there’s more to her than a spirit-busting fan favorite.
She’s also a fighter that absolutely crushes the ways Smash movesets are perceived as with her button layout from ARMS and is also a fighter from one of Nintendo‘s trademark novel series that fell out of the limelight (a stark contrast from previous, relevancy focussed first party DLC)
A representative from ARMS would have to bend Smash’s rules in some ways (with the whole long arms thing) and had a unique hook for a playstyle from the surface alone.
Arguing from that point, Rhythm Heaven comes to mind as an analogy to Min Min moreso than Geno or other members of a Newlite 4.

Of course, this doesn’t mean all of the fighters are going to be this way. Joker’s “You Never Knew You Wanted This” pass still had Banjo, of which we all knew we wanted it and Byleth, who was...first party, so even if Min Min points towards more first parties with surface appeal and deeper mechanics,that doesn’t discredit those who don’t fall into that category.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Realistically I think the best we can hope for is at least one “fan service” character out of these last five. I just don’t see Geno being picked over Crash or Rayman. So I’ll have to wait another 25 years for Geno to be in anything else again. So I’ll be 58 by then. =(

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Min Min is meant to set the tone of the pass, I’d argue there’s more to her than a spirit-busting fan favorite.
She’s also a fighter that absolutely crushes the ways Smash movesets are perceived as with her button layout from ARMS and is also a fighter from one of Nintendo‘s trademark novel series that fell out of the limelight (a stark contrast from previous, relevancy focussed first party DLC)
A representative from ARMS would have to bend Smash’s rules in some ways (with the whole long arms thing) and had a unique hook for a playstyle from the surface alone.
Arguing from that point, Rhythm Heaven comes to mind as an analogy to Min Min moreso than Geno or other members of a Newlite 4.

Of course, this doesn’t mean all of the fighters are going to be this way. Joker’s “You Never Knew You Wanted This” pass still had Banjo, of which we all knew we wanted it and Byleth, who was...first party, so even if Min Min points towards more first parties with surface appeal and deeper mechanics,that doesn’t discredit those who don’t fall into that category.
I mostly agree, but it's been clear that not everybody actually wanted Banjo and had more interest in a different Microsoft or Rareware character. ...I've seen quite a lot of Joker detractors too. For the most part, it's better to not describe their merits with that much of a massive subjective terminology.

I mean, they're sweet additions, but I honestly found Byleth more interesting than either, though not by much. And Banjo-Kazooie was the only one among the three mentioned I even played. It really did nothing for me, mind you. But a lot of great games just don't click with me, so eh. Super Mario 64 and DK64 I really got into, but I had a lot more time to play those and had DK64 far earlier on. So that happens sometimes, heh.

Firox

Smash Master
This was before fake leakers knew how to be believable. They went total ham when it came to franchise representation. I mean, they've got Cranky and Kiddy Kong on there for heck's sake.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Realistically I think the best we can hope for is at least one “fan service” character out of these last five. I just don’t see Geno being picked over Crash or Rayman. So I’ll have to wait another 25 years for Geno to be in anything else again. So I’ll be 58 by then. =(
Yeah but here is the thing:

1. Sakurai hasn't announced yet whether or not Fighter's Pass 2 is the last of the DLC.

2. Geno could easily get in over Crash if need be because Nintendo will probably grant Sakurai the option to choose Geno if they're picking the DLC again and they probably secured his rights from Square to make him a fighter if need be since they're did so for a Mii costume in Smash 4 and a Spirit in Ultimate. Plus Banjo & Kazooie made it in before Crash so why can't Geno too.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I mostly agree, but it's been clear that not everybody actually wanted Banjo and had more interest in a different Microsoft or Rareware character. ...I've seen quite a lot of Joker detractors too. For the most part, it's better to not describe their merits with that much of a massive subjective terminology.

I mean, they're sweet additions, but I honestly found Byleth more interesting than either, though not by much. And Banjo-Kazooie was the only one among the three mentioned I even played. It really did nothing for me, mind you. But a lot of great games just don't click with me, so eh. Super Mario 64 and DK64 I really got into, but I had a lot more time to play those and had DK64 far earlier on. So that happens sometimes, heh.
Right, I could’ve phrased that better. What I meant was Joker was from an unexpected place whose game was popular, but not requested as much for Smash, whereas Banjo got in partly due to very specific Smash-related fan-demand

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Right, I could’ve phrased that better. What I meant was Joker was from an unexpected place whose game was popular, but not requested as much for Smash, whereas Banjo got in partly due to very specific Smash-related fan-demand
Okay, yeah, 100% agree when you put it like that.

I know what you mean. I phrase things differently what from what I'm overall saying here or there. Whoops. XD

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I 'll admit the 7 Theory is a huge stretch, but it makes so much sense to the point that it would be a huge missed opportunity to NOT have Geno as FP7.

Anyways, I've been saying for months now that Geno is FP7, but not because of the 7 Theory.
What seems like the biggest stretch is that colour theory I've seen going around. That the colour associated with the seven dlc characters we've gotten so far all line up with seven stars relating to Geno. The idea that Sakurai has been setting up Genos reveal for that long seems like a massive stretch to me.

Although and maybe I'm remembering this incorrectly but didn't the color associated with one of the dlc fighters change at one point?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What seems like the biggest stretch is that colour theory I've seen going around. That the colour associated with the seven dlc characters we've gotten so far all line up with seven stars relating to Geno. The idea that Sakurai has been setting up Genos reveal for that long seems like a massive stretch to me.

Although and maybe I'm remembering this incorrectly but didn't the color associated with one of the dlc fighters change at one point?
No. They've been all the same from what I can remember. There's been a website glitch when they update where it looks that way. Min Min for a bit looked like she had Piranha Plant's green coloring. But she still has the darker yellow anyway. It feels odd cause her own yellow is a bit lighter, so it doesn't fit as best as it could.

On another note, Byleth is the only one who had an odd color, as green isn't on either default costume. Though 3 of the later costumes have green hair. Everybody else has their color somewhere on their character. Weird.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
*sits on couch chair by the fire gently as to alleviate aching back*
*places story book on lap and opens it*

Good day lads. It's time for a tale of many years ago.

In the Mushroom Kingdom circa 1996, in what is known as the first chapter of the Super Mario "RPG" canon lore, a great crisis occurred. A gigantic blade came crashing down upon Bowser's Keep; darkening the skies, and in the process it had shattered what scholars at the time called the Star Road. From this blade, countless weaponized creatures spread out throughout the lands, bringing forth chaos. Amidst these times, many noticed that things weren't coming into realization as hoped for. This of course was due to the very appearance of the accursed blade.

Fortunately, the forces that watch over the lands sent a messenger to intervene in righting the wrong befallen. A small yet lively star descended upon one of the towns, and in order to interact with the locals, it took the form of a child's toy. This messenger would soon be known as Geno. It is through this Godsend messenger that it is learned that the Star Road is the architecture that makes people's dreams come true. When someone wished for something said wish would ascend to the Star Road. Once a wish is "received" there, it is converted into a Wish Star and thus descend in a place known as Star Hill. Some scholars would theorize that when said Wish Stars arrive at Star Hill, they would convert into pure energy and will the wish into existence. Quite the fascinating theory if one could say.

Now, what does this all have to do with the remaining challengers some may wonder? If we take into account Geno being the messenger from the Star Road, in a way he would fit the role of a "granter of wishes" of sorts. His arrival to the roster (if the creators so will it) could signify the impending addition of other notable wishes coming true. True that there are countless video game characters that many wish would make it into SSBU as a playable fighter, but undoubtedly there are a few whom by many are considered "essential" or "necessary".

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I'm in the mind set that Geno could have been in FP1 before Nintendo butted in since FP1 was theorized to have originally been one and done. Like, maybe Nintendo wanted Byleth in FP1 instead to promote Three Houses while it still had momentum. Sakurai would have no choice to accept what they would want. After all, Byleth was mostly a promotional pick and maybe they moved Geno towards the half point of FP2 if I'm right.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think we're a little revisionist when it comes to Ridley and Banjo. A lot of people are now like "oh, it's so obvious it was going to happen" but honestly not really. Aside from Heihachi and Chrom, Ridley was one of the few characters that Sakurai's ever gone in depth to explain why they weren't in Smash yet. A lot of people figured Nintendo would eventually cave due to sheer fan demand but there was no guarantee, ironically because of other denied evergreen requests like Daisy, K. Rool, and Geno. It also didn't help that Ridley's exclusion was a technical issue and Sakurai trying to figure out how to implement Ridley in Smash without making him huge or broken as holy hell. Ridley was a prime case of a pipe dream until he wasn't.

Banjo did fit the Fighter's Pass overall theme because it was an addition from a very unexpected place. Yes, there was fan demand but a big reason a lot of people blew me off last April was because "it seemed too good to be true." The Bird and Bear pair hadn't had a meaningful appearance on a Nintendo platform in almost 20 years (the GBA games never made it to Japan and were NA and EU exclusives), the series itself had basically been dead a decade, and, to top it all off, they were owned by one of Nintendo's two main competitors. In hindsight, a lot was in their favor but keep in mind that the overall public opinion heavily favored Steven Cubiverse for a Microsoft rep literally up until a few weeks before E3 2019. Again, the odds were pretty damn stacked against Banjo because of a mile of red tape but it eventually came to pass in the, er, Fighter's Pass.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
people going on about how spirits can be playable because the rules been Broken but what worries me is that Nintendo might not go for fan favourites or spirits

you may say “well they got min min” which is true but what worries me is that Nintendo didn’t specifically ask for min min. It was the creator that said min min because they wanted her.

sakurai even said himself he was considering ninja which implies Nintendo wasn’t even taking fan request or fan favourites into mind. Hope I’m wrong but that’s the worrying thing about this.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think we're a little revisionist when it comes to Ridley and Banjo. A lot of people are now like "oh, it's so obvious it was going to happen" but honestly not really. Aside from Heihachi and Chrom, Ridley was one of the few characters that Sakurai's ever gone in depth to explain why they weren't in Smash yet. A lot of people figured Nintendo would eventually cave due to sheer fan demand but there was no guarantee, ironically because of other denied evergreen requests like Daisy, K. Rool, and Geno. It also didn't help that Ridley's exclusion was a technical issue and Sakurai trying to figure out how to implement Ridley in Smash without making him huge or broken as holy hell. Ridley was a prime case of a pipe dream until he wasn't.

Banjo did fit the Fighter's Pass overall theme because it was an addition from a very unexpected place. Yes, there was fan demand but a big reason a lot of people blew me off last April was because "it seemed too good to be true." The Bird and Bear pair hadn't had a meaningful appearance on a Nintendo platform in almost 20 years (the GBA games never made it to Japan and were NA and EU exclusives), the series itself had basically been dead a decade, and, to top it all off, they were owned by one of Nintendo's two main competitors. In hindsight, a lot was in their favor but keep in mind that the overall public opinion heavily favored Steven Cubiverse for a Microsoft rep literally up until a few weeks before E3 2019. Again, the odds were pretty damn stacked against Banjo because of a mile of red tape but it eventually came to pass in the, er, Fighter's Pass.
To be fair, “Characters the Smash fanbase didn’t predict to happen” is a pretty large category, if that’s what you mean by “unexpected places”

MattX20

Smash Hero

And there's not much competition left for Geno to go up against since both of Square's signature IPs are in the game now. Most of the coincidences/occurrences for Geno are likely leading up to him being revealed in the near future

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
people going on about how spirits can be playable because the rules been Broken but what worries me is that Nintendo might not go for fan favourites or spirits

you may say “well they got min min” which is true but what worries me is that Nintendo didn’t specifically ask for min min. It was the creator that said min min because they wanted her.

sakurai even said himself he was considering ninja which implies Nintendo wasn’t even taking fan request or fan favourites into mind. Hope I’m wrong but that’s the worrying thing about this.
Ninjara was also a spirit, and he was interested in Min Min too. I doubt he considers spirits a big deal.

Nintendo clearly had to when they chose Banjo & Kazooie. So they are aware of fan favorites/fan requests too. It's just not the only thing to exist. There's going to be business ventures as well.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Ninjara was also a spirit, and he was interested in Min Min too. I doubt he considers spirits a big deal.

Nintendo clearly had to when they chose Banjo & Kazooie. So they are aware of fan favorites/fan requests too. It's just not the only thing to exist. There's going to be business ventures as well.
not gonna lie. I completely forgot ninjara was a spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom