• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

T2by4

Smash Lord
I'm right there listening to the DJPK Takeover too, some of the characters are even getting mid-break voice lines ( I just heard DeDeDe). I haven't been catching the whole thing but I wonder if they got someone to voice Geno and how he would sound.

Speaking of which, The KFAD Mojo is getting new entries today, and Weird Al's had K mention Geno as a possible guest but Al stated that he already returned to the Star Road. God I love the fiction we've been drawn into.

https://mojo.highquality.rip/2020/06/polka-parodist-pops-in/
Geno's not in the next KFAD? That'd be a shame. A lot of us wanted him to get a redemption after getting knocked out so early. I really hope he does show up in some way.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Did the Geno thread order another round of awesome fanart? No? Well AdamBel brought some anyways!

20200630_195128.jpg

IMG_20200630_194958.jpg

IMG_20200630_195000.jpg

(Hopefully you guys aren't getting annoyed by me showing the thread fanart. I just figured you guys would like it.)

As an aside, I've been seeing a lot more Super Mario RPG fanart recently. I'm not even seeking it out and it just pops up! Maybe it's a sign of things to come? Maybe it's a sign that more people care about Super Mario RPG than just a specific sect of Smash fans and the game isn't a super niche thing nobody cares about? (GameFaqs weeps in the distance)

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Aside from the death of the SteveBros gang, have there ever been any other time /v/ has gotten "BTFO'd"?

Well, that and the Grinch Hoax but almost every website got BTFO'd by that, including myself.
In 4chan you find the people who think Spirits won't be in, Dante will be CP5, Max brass was going to be the Arms REP, No western characters, etc

Droodle

Smash Lord
Aside from the death of the SteveBros gang, have there ever been any other time /v/ has gotten "BTFO'd"?

Well, that and the Grinch Hoax but almost every website got BTFO'd by that, including myself.
I know that there was a decently popular topic back right before FP5 aired about how Byleth would be the character with him swapping between Edelgard, Dmitri, and Claude. Most of the replies were pretty much "imagine thinking Byleth will be the next character; it's going to be Dante/Geno/Doomguy". Needless to say that a ton of people got BTFO and the tone of the topic shifted as soon as Byleth got added.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I don't buy for a single moment every company will play ball. That's never been the case since, well, ever. A pandemic won't change that either.
And companies want to be on good terms with Nintendo concidering Switch is a gold mine for ports nowadays, so yes I believe they will "adapt" so to speak. A DLC character is not a launch title for a console which you clearly treat it as.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And companies want to be on good terms with Nintendo concidering Switch is a gold mine for ports nowadays, so yes I believe they will "adapt" so to speak. A DLC character is not a launch title for a console.
Oh, and here I thought we were done with this. Let me say it again;

I'm not buying what you're selling. So let it go. You aren't going to convince me on some things. Move on.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Geno's not in the next KFAD? That'd be a shame. A lot of us wanted him to get a redemption after getting knocked out so early. I really hope he does show up in some way.
He didn't mean that Geno wouldn't be apart of the next KFAD, just that Geno is gone from the aftermath of this one. Actually, there might not even be another KFAD if I recall correct, but I could be wrong.

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
He's just AWOL from the Mojo interviews, for now. Geno's definitely going to show up for KFAD3

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
I'm right there listening to the DJPK Takeover too, some of the characters are even getting mid-break voice lines ( I just heard DeDeDe). I haven't been catching the whole thing but I wonder if they got someone to voice Geno and how he would sound.

Speaking of which, The KFAD Mojo is getting new entries today, and Weird Al's had K mention Geno as a possible guest but Al stated that he already returned to the Star Road. God I love the fiction we've been drawn into.

https://mojo.highquality.rip/2020/06/polka-parodist-pops-in/
Welp, if your watching right now your on the second loop of the stream. The stream itself was 10 hours and 50 minutes, but they decided to have it play 3 times which will have it last for 32 hours. As someone who watched about 70-80% of the first loop, I can tell you Geno didn’t get any additional speaking role. Kinda sucks, but if he’s back at Star Road it makes sense. He’s not the type of guy who would want to play an ad on the radio or hijack it either.

Geno returning to Star Road doesn’t imply he wouldn’t return in a KFAD3. If it does happen he could just come back down to participate. The better question is if KFAD3 will happen at all, and with most of the team not exactly in favour of doing it again, and the other three finalists still needing their prizes... I’m not expecting it for a long time.

At least the SiIva team has plans to rip most if not all of the Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door soundtrack, so it kinda feels like Geno’s getting a prize despite losing round 1.

Really if I’m being honest, while I’ve wanted Geno in Smash for about 7 years or so now, he wasn’t really a top most wanted of mine for a lot of that time. It wasn’t until both his losses in KFAD1, and then KFAD2, that I really became more eager to see Geno in Smash. He just deserves some kind of happy ending with what feels like the world going against him.

I went to go reread Geno and Bill’s segment in the long final Mojo post, and it was really both happy and sad to go through. Geno was chill enough to not only be a fair sport with the people who beat him, but thought of others getting into Smash before himself. And near the end with Bill saying he would tell Sakurai about him... aw it’s beautiful.

MattX20

Smash Hero
All this talk of a first party pass got me thinking. I mean I'd be super sad to see Geno get shafted again along with other third parties I'd love to see like Rayman and Crash or big names that would be pretty crazy to see in Smash like Sora, Master Chief, or Dante, but considering the first parties left to include, Nintendo would have to massively go out of their way to pick characters that wouldn't get me to buy the pass with a first party pass. Like if said first party pass was any combination of characters like Krystal, Sylux, Dixie Kong, BWD, most Zelda characters, Isaac, pretty much any big remaining Mario character, Rex, heck even most Pokemon, etc those kinds of characters would sell me the pass. Whereas I feel there is more room for them to miss the mark for me personally with third party characters like for example if we got Sol, A LoL character, a Ubisoft character that isn't Rayman, Llyod, and idk someone unexpected from an upcoming game I don't care about or something I might buy Lloyd separately even though I don't care about Tales just to support the decision to reward that fanbase, but that's about it. I feel like the only way for them to go wrong with first parties is with more Piranha Plant characters that no one asked for (even tho I love Piranha Plant I don't think it should be paid DLC) or more FE characters that don't accurately represent the franchise by just using swords. I just see a lot more opportunities for disappointment for me with third parties. I guess it's a high risk/reward situation with third parties and low risk/reward for first parties.
It would be bittersweet for many if we didn't get some of those listed

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oh, right, I was supposed to do an analysis about yesterday... So, yesterday was a really good day for two characters specifically in my opinion. The first I'll cover is Geno.

"Min-Min can equip Min-Min."

Technically this has already happened a few times thanks to all the variations of Mario, Link, etc but this is the most on the nose it has been. Geno can now equip Geno because they doubled down on the meaning of "fighter spirits." A fighter can equip themselves and, honestly, this kind of makes sense in context. The spirit battles are rarely literally the character you're fighting but some variation of them. They're another character or a Mii and, if they're not, they're giant or tiny or wearing a bunny hood or whatever. Min Min's spirit battle not being literally Min Min makes perfect sense. Going off of this...

"Min-Min's spirit event didn't change."

This is pretty important because now we have a definitive answer about something we've long been curious about: what would happen to the spirit battle if a character made the jump to playable? What this means is that if Geno made the jump, he wouldn't just be inserted into his spirit event so that's technically a non issue now. Why is this so important? It's because of how they have chosen to handle this.

When spirit battles have changed, this has been because of new Mii costumes and not new characters. The bad news about this is that it further cements Mii costumes as a sort of consolation prize. Not to say it's impossible but if a character is already a Mii costume and has a spirit event that specifically focuses on a Mii costume version of themselves, it's probably bad news bears. This is why "awkward" spirit representation is actually kind of a saving grace. We've only seen Mii costumes replace characters, not Mii costumes replace other costumes and this has only happened very recently. Rex, Tails, Zero, etc did not get updated spirit battles when their respective Mii costumes came out and they all had "awkward" representation too. This means Geno's spirit battle is probably locked into place whether he gets a Mii costume or not, making it even more apparent that he's successfully dodged 6 Mii costume waves.

So, in conclusion:

-Geno the spirit and Geno the fighter spirit can now both exist.

-Because Geno's spirit battle was in the base game, it probably won't be changed to accommodate a Mii costume even if it comes so it's existence is now irrelevant to his standings.

-Geno having a spirit and a spirit battle no longer affect his standings.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Oh, right, I was supposed to do an analysis about yesterday... So, yesterday was a really good day for two characters specifically in my opinion. The first I'll cover is Geno.

Technically this has already happened a few times thanks to all the variations of Mario, Link, etc but this is the most on the nose it has been. Geno can now equip Geno because they doubled down on the meaning of "fighter spirits." A fighter can equip themselves and, honestly, this kind of makes sense in context. The spirit battles are rarely literally the character you're fighting but some variation of them. They're another character or a Mii and, if they're not, they're giant or tiny or wearing a bunny hood or whatever. Min Min's spirit battle not being literally Min Min makes perfect sense. Going off of this...

This is pretty important because now we have a definitive answer about something we've long been curious about: what would happen to the spirit battle if a character made the jump to playable? What this means is that if Geno made the jump, he wouldn't just be inserted into his spirit event so that's technically a non issue now. Why is this so important? It's because of how they have chosen to handle this.

When spirit battles have changed, this has been because of new Mii costumes and not new characters. The bad news about this is that it further cements Mii costumes as a sort of consolation prize. Not to say it's impossible but if a character is already a Mii costume and has a spirit event that specifically focuses on a Mii costume version of themselves, it's probably bad news bears. This is why "awkward" spirit representation is actually kind of a saving grace. We've only seen Mii costumes replace characters, not Mii costumes replace other costumes and this has only happened very recently. Rex, Tails, Zero, etc did not get updated spirit battles when their respective Mii costumes came out and they all had "awkward" representation too. This means Geno's spirit battle is probably locked into place whether he gets a Mii costume or not, making it even more apparent that he's successfully dodged 6 Mii costume waves.

So, in conclusion:

-Because Geno's spirit battle was in the base game, it probably won't be changed to accommodate a Mii costume even if it comes so it's existence is now irrelevant to his standings.

and given how highly desired Geno has been combined with the fact the next rep is looking to be from Square Enix, it's hard not to get potentially a little more hopeful

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I pretty much agree with everything you said other than this point. The fact Ninjara, who is a base spirit, got their spirit battle updated if you purchased the Mii costume. Unless I misunderstood this point, this one is not irrelevant at all.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Honestly, I seriously doubt Sakurai would upgrade a Spirit and NOT consider Geno to be one of the many Spirits to upgrade. Sakurai has acknowledged the fan demand for him and was a character he wanted to include himself. Seeing as how Square has a solid relationship with Nintendo on top of Square's two flagship franchises already represented with characters already, I can't see why Geno can't happen at this point.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Geno's costume comes back, whether he's playable or not, it's very likely the Spirit Battle will be updated. And to be fair, we could easily get the character and then the costume. It'd make Square-Enix more money to have both and they wouldn't say no to the costume anyway as long as it was for DLC(which seems to be the only problem they could have with it). Nintendo might not want to relicense it, nor Sakurai, though. But that's up to them. There's not really any reason to not use the assets at that point. Just have both. People get both options as is. Some really loved the costume. Some prefer it over the character. You actually would get a lot more money that way, so.

It's the costume that matters, not whether they're a playable character or not. That's mainly what Sakurai meant.

It'd also probably be easier to deal with than Sheik, to be fair. Sheik is way overpowered in that battle. And she's very very fast and hard to hit. Mii Gunner is strong, and has arguably a bit better range, but they're also a lotttt slower. So it should theoretically be easier.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I pretty much agree with everything you said other than this point. The fact Ninjara, who is a base spirit, got their spirit battle updated if you purchased the Mii costume. Unless I misunderstood this point, this one is not irrelevant at all.
Ninjara didn't have a spirit battle until now. It's brand new to this patch. I want to say that him and Ribbon Girl could only be summoned until Min Min was released.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Ninjara didn't have a spirit battle until now. It's brand new to this patch. I want to say that him and Ribbon Girl could only be summoned until Min Min was released.
Ahhh understood! Not sure how I did not notice that before (curse playing other games!) OK, so if a base spirit gets a costume made after them, then it will not affect their spirit battle. OK, that seems like a really good point now after the fact haha.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ahhh understood! Not sure how I did not notice that before (curse playing other games!) OK, so if a base spirit gets a costume made after them, then it will not affect their spirit battle. OK, that seems like a really good point now after the fact haha.
All Sakurai said was we could get Mii Costume changes for spirit battles. He didn't specify if it was for only DLC spirits or not, so I wouldn't take either side as a clear statement.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
All Sakurai said was we could get Mii Costume changes for spirit battles. He didn't specify if it was for only DLC spirits or not, so I wouldn't take either side as a clear statement.
I'll agree a little bit. The fact that Rex's spirit battle has yet to be changed upon purchase is kind of interesting. Perhaps the base spirits are too ingrained to mess with it outright? No one is sure, but it is something to ponder over until something like that happens :)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'll agree a little bit. The fact that Rex's spirit battle has yet to be changed upon purchase is kind of interesting. Perhaps the base spirits are too ingrained to mess with it outright? No one is sure, but it is something to ponder over until something like that happens :)
He said it'd happen in future updates. So who knows.

It could be something he only meant for DLC, since it was already easy to do. Redoing programming for already done spirits is not as easy as doing it from scratch. Maybe. It depends how difficult the coding is. I'd ask someone who knows the coding to look into how complicated it is.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You guys ever just have that moment where you look at the Smash roster and just come to the full realization of how insane this crossover is?

Because that just happened to me and it was an experience.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
You guys ever just have that moment where you look at the Smash roster and just come to the full realization of how insane this crossover is?

Because that just happened to me and it was an experience.
It is quite an accomplishment for not just Sakurai, but the whole Smash Ultimate team. Who would have thought we can play a game with Mario, Banjo and Kazooie, Mega Man, Solid Snake, Dragon Quest Hero, Sonic, Pac-man and Terry Bogard in one game is BANANAS.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It is quite an accomplishment for not just Sakurai, but the whole Smash Ultimate team. Who would have thought we can play a game with Mario, Banjo and Kazooie, Mega Man, Solid Snake, Dragon Quest Hero, Sonic, Pac-man and Terry Bogard in one game is BANANAS.
It's not even just the third party aspect to me. I looked at K. Rool and Ridley and realized I had gotten so used to them, with their past fan outcry only consciously registering to me when I thought about it. That's crazy to me. The fact all of this could somehow become normal in of itself could cause a breakdown for someone. Makes me wonder how I would see Geno over time come his arrival and beyond.

Griselda

Smash Lord
In-Universe, what's our justification for Geno+Geno (or even Mario+Tennis Mario)? Is it just an alternate universe counterpart that wasn't quite as quick as the one we're playing as and got Galeem'd?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
It's not even just the third party aspect to me. I looked at K. Rool and Ridley and realized I had gotten so used to them, with their past fan outcry only consciously registering to me when I thought about it. That's crazy to me. The fact all of this could somehow become normal in of itself could cause a breakdown for someone. Makes me wonder how I would see Geno over time come his arrival and beyond.
Will be great to do the final battle in WoL with a team of Mario, Peach or Bowser and Geno. That would probably be my goosebumps moment.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
In-Universe, what's our justification for Geno+Geno (or even Mario+Tennis Mario)? Is it just an alternate universe counterpart that wasn't quite as quick as the one we're playing as and got Galeem'd?
Easy: The Spirit is simply a Geno doll, which there is more than likely to be more than just one of. The character is the actual possessed one.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Well, Griselda, *pushes up glasses* I'm glad you asked.
20200630_231542.jpg

You see, my dear, I've been populating this very conundrum for many fortnights in the event a Spirit would be joining as DLC. You see, we only have to gaze upon Nintendo's careful upkeep of the "Nintendo multiverse" to find our answer. Yes, before we answer your question, we must first talk about the Nintendo multiverse.

Perhaps the most intellectual and worthwhile subject in our quest for answers are the Mario Kart 8 characters that are playable. As you can see here, there is not only the famous portly plumber present, but also an infant version, a metallic version, and a "birthday suit" version. The same sort of deviations from the original character also appear to be found with the lovely princess of the toadstools.
CharSelect-DLC-MK8.jpg

Now I'm sure you're wondering, "What the heck does this have to do with my question, you dingus?" Well I'm glad you asked. You see, as we can observe, Nintendo, and pardon my guttural language here, *ahem, doesn't give a Ptooie's patootie about continuity. Why is it that a metallic version of Mario is in place of such mainstays as the king of all Boos, the son of the king of the Koopas, the giant flower with a bikini, the king of the jungle's right-hand man (monkey), etc. The answer? ...don't think about it. How is there a baby version of plumber boy alongside the adult version without the spacetime continuum collapsing in on itself with a raven yelling how the "natural order" has been messed with? How can our portly Italian plumber with a doctorate be alongside the original character we all know and love? ...my dear, lest you wish for your heard to expand to the size of Geno's chances of getting into Smash (which, mind you, is big ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ), then I would advise you to not think much of it. After all, we will be asking ourselves the same question again once Geno becomes playable, won't we?
20200630_233717.jpg

(Look, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , I have a pipe like you)

And that, my dear friend, is why the Nintendo multiverse makes no sense. My truly intellectual response to your question posed originally is... "I don't know, maybe, like Geno granted people's wishes like Min Min to become playable because Geno is like a celestial being or something like that." I'm sure any questions you had have been answered with unflinching satisfaction! And that concludes my TED Talk, thank you for attending my seminar.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
AdamBel731 AdamBel731 My headcanon is that Metal Mario in Mario Kart is an alternate universe Mario who is normally Dr. Mario otherwise.

Smash on the other hand has Metal Mario as his own person. Metal Dr. Mario is just him using the Metal Box there, or Megavitamins in Dr. Mario 64.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I assume it's the same logic as characters with alternate Personas as spirits like K Rool.

...Which don't have explanations.

axel_

Smash Journeyman

So, in conclusion:

So, uh... who's the second?

Griselda

Smash Lord
Metal Mario appears to be a separate individual in the Mario spinoffs. In Mario Kart, he's treated as a rival to Mario and even says things like 'Mia Mama'.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
The Geno Spirit was simply a toy someone bought a long time ago that Galeem mistook for the Geno from SMRPG.

Griselda

Smash Lord
The Geno Spirit was simply a toy someone bought a long time ago that Galeem mistook for the Geno from SMRPG.
Galeem: I finally found you, ♡♪!? !
Geno Doll: . . .
Galeem: I'm not a T. rex, ♡♪!? , I can still see you when you're standing still.
Geno Doll: . . .
Galeem: *spiritifies Geno Doll*

♡♪!? : *tiptoes away*

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Metal Mario appears to be a separate individual in the Mario spinoffs. In Mario Kart, he's treated as a rival to Mario and even says things like 'Mia Mama'.
What makes this interesting is this didn't happen till well after Smash 64, where he became an individual. He was still a power-up in other games as is. Even Gold Mario, an offshoot, worked similarly.

Metal Box also is quite different from the Metal Cap in terms of the power-up type. It's a shortcut of game design, since it's easier to see a box than a small floating cap(and one doesn't move), but it's what's inside the box that counts. Also, the flower in Super Mario 64 DS also turned Wario into Metal. There's also another item which does something similar in Mario Party 2. It has a vast history as a power-up item over being an actual separate character.

I think the neat thing is Smash 3DS/Wii U and Ultimate now have the character shaded metal while showing their basic colors, instead of a pure solid silver/gray. They look different from Metal Mario now. It's the only reason why I think he'd be a fun bonus echo, fighting like classic Melee Mario without the pills, and without the exact attack/defense boosts. Maybe a different Side B too, since he's not like the Melee one, but the Smash 64 Mario effectively.

RichieGonzo

Smash Rookie
Realistically, what do you guys think are the chances we get something smash related this July? (Hoping for fighter 7) Since Min Min was supposed to be an April release, I'm assuming 7 was gonna be shown off at E3, so I don't think it's too farfetched to get something soon.

Griselda

Smash Lord
What makes this interesting is this didn't happen till well after Smash 64, where he became an individual. He was still a power-up in other games as is. Even Gold Mario, an offshoot, worked similarly.

Metal Box also is quite different from the Metal Cap in terms of the power-up type. It's a shortcut of game design, since it's easier to see a box than a small floating cap(and one doesn't move), but it's what's inside the box that counts. Also, the flower in Super Mario 64 DS also turned Wario into Metal. There's also another item which does something similar in Mario Party 2. It has a vast history as a power-up item over being an actual separate character.

I think the neat thing is Smash 3DS/Wii U and Ultimate now have the character shaded metal while showing their basic colors, instead of a pure solid silver/gray. They look different from Metal Mario now. It's the only reason why I think he'd be a fun bonus echo, fighting like classic Melee Mario without the pills, and without the exact attack/defense boosts. Maybe a different Side B too, since he's not like the Melee one, but the Smash 64 Mario effectively.
I recall a fake leak(?) that showed a Metal Mario render with blue fire. I actually do want him as a fighter, honestly - and I've seen this brought up before, but if people are still worried about him looking too much like Mario, then make him the Smash 64 version, which would definitely stand out.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Realistically, what do you guys think are the chances we get something smash related this July? (Hoping for fighter 7) Since Min Min was supposed to be an April release, I'm assuming 7 was gonna be shown off at E3, so I don't think it's too farfetched to get something soon.
Probably nothing. Things are going smoothly, but they have 18 months to release stuff. They don't need to hurry at all. August seems a lot more realistic, mainly for a reveal. I could see September being the release instead. It depends who it is and how much time is needed. We've only had one character delayed, and that's for gameplay reeasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom