• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That's what it shows for Smash 4, but according to the same data Ultimate began and ended with 1s and the second to last was only a 2 or 3. This doesn't really show a consistent pattern with smash 4. Unless I'm reading this wrong which is totally possible.
That's because Ultimate is still ongoing so it makes sense that Byleth and ARMS are on the low end of things, in my opinion.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Aight, I'm down with this bandwagon. Out of 5 stars,

:4mewtwo: ★★★★☆
:4lucas: ★★★☆☆
:4feroy: ★★★☆☆
:4ryu: ★★★★★★ (the best Smash 4 newcomer after Pac-Man, you can't change my mind)
:4cloud: ★★★★★
:4corrinf: ★☆☆☆☆ (I'm happy I at least liked her gameplay)
:4bayonetta: ★★☆☆☆

:ultpiranha: ★★☆☆☆
:ultjoker: ★★★★☆
:ulthero3: ★★★☆☆
:ultbanjokazooie: ★★★★☆
:ult_terry: ★★★★★★ (the best Ultimate newcomer, you can't change my mind)
:ultbyleth: ★★☆☆☆ (she was one of my most determined predictions for after Pass 1, so I was expecting her anywhere but as FP5)

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
DLC Hype levels:
Smash 4
:ultmewtwo: 4/5
:ultlucas: 2/5
:ultroy: 4/5
:ultryu: 2.5/5
:ultcloud: 2/5
:ultcorrin: 0/5
:ultbayonetta1: -10/5

Ultimate
:ultpiranha: 0/5
:ultjoker: 0/5
:ulthero3: 1/5
:ultbanjokazooie: 5/5
:ult_terry: 0/5
:ultbyleth: 0/5
For what it's worth, the only base-game characters I've had any hype for since Brawl have been Villager, Mega Man, Little Mac, Ridley, and K. Rool. I would have been completely satisfied if Ultimate was "Everyone is Here" + Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, Isaac, and Geno, but even in that scenario I would not hesitate to cut 20-30 characters.

Edit: in fact, here's what I would consider the perfect Smash Bros game (assume lots of alt costumes/echoes for characters like Falco and Lucas who are missing)

1592781764784.png

Last edited:

ZerBerry

Smash Cadet
:ultmewtwo: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
:ultlucas: ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
:ultroy: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
:ultryu: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
:ultcloud: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
:ultcorrinf: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
:ultbayonetta: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

:ultpiranha: ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
:ultjoker: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
:ulthero: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆
:ultbanjokazooie: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
:ult_terry: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆
:ultbyleth: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

MattX20

Smash Hero
My personal ratings for the DLC? I would probably say for Ultimate's DLC is thus:
Piranha Plant-2 stars initially to 3
Joker-3
Hero-3 retroactively
Banjo-definitely a solid 4
Terry-surprised me as a solid 4
Byleth-1

bomamba

Smash Cadet
Mewtwo: *****
Lucas: ***1/2
Roy: ***1/4
Ryu: ****1/2
Cloud: *****
Corrin: **1/2
Bayonetta: ****

PP: *3/4
Joker: *****
Hero: ***3/4
Banjo: *****
Terry: ****1/4
Byleth: **

ZerBerry

Smash Cadet
I still doubt we'll see the Cacomallow costumes tomorrow.
i doubt that we will see both mallow and the cacodemon costumes but it's possible we could only get the cacodemon
if that's the case, the leak would probably be real and geno is going to be be without any doubt the fighter 77 but the doomslayer would probably be deconfirmed....

if the cacodemon is not present this afternoon, we will have to seriously question ourselves about the legitimacy of the leak

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
I still doubt we'll see the Cacomallow costumes tomorrow.
We won't. Bethesda Mii costumes aren't gonna come without a Bethesda character. There is no precedent to give anyone reason to think we're suddenly going to get an influx of non-represented companies' Mii costumes just because Ubisoft - a company with close relationship with Nintendo and content in the base game - did. Ubisoft was an exception, not a rule.

If Caco is real, it will come with a Bethesda character.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
We won't. Bethesda Mii costumes aren't gonna come without a Bethesda character. There is no precedent to give anyone reason to think we're suddenly going to get an influx of non-represented companies' Mii costumes just because Ubisoft - a company with close relationship with Nintendo and content in the base game - did. Ubisoft was an exception, not a rule.

Patterns are meant to be broken.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Since we're rating DLC apparently:
Mewtwo: 4
Lucas: 5
Roy: 3
Ryu: 4
Cloud: 5
Corrin: 1
Bayonetta: 4

Piranha Plant: 3
Joker: 5
Hero: 2
Banjo: 5
Terry: 2, but he absolutely should be in Smash and I hope he would be in future Smash games too he just wasn't hype for me
Byleth: 1

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
My rating of the dlc´s out of 6 stars revelation and gameplay wise
[collapse="spoiler part 1"]
:ultmewtwo: ★ ★ ★ Didn´t have a Wii u so I didn´t care for it. Was happy that he was back but I never enjoyed playing as mewtwo
:ultlucas: ★ ★ Don´t care for Lucas, feels too much like ness and hate playing against him
:ultroy: ★ ★ ★ Fire Marth is back, nice.
:ultryu: ★ ★ ★ ★ / ★ ★ eyebrow raise but his gameplay is the same as street fighter/mario in smash 64
:ultcloud: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★/ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Genuine HSWTF hype and he plays perfectly.
:ultcorrinf: ★ ★ / ★ ★ ★ ★ Who? Oh, Nintendo is doing a commercial. Mmkay. Pretty fun to play though
:ultbayonetta: ★ ★ ★ ★ / ★ ★ How did this happen? Nuts, gameplay feels very stiff. Her smash attacks are wonky

:ultpiranha: ★ ★ / ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ There´s gonna be dlc, that´s great. Was hoping for geno in that intro./ Very funky at the beggining but a genuinely awesome character
:ultjoker: ★ ★/ ★ Another animeish character but a surprise./ I hate playing with him and against him.
:ulthero: ★ ★ ★ ★/ ★ ★ Not goku comes to smash, nice./ His mp mechanic is cool but makes him suck after a while.
:ultbanjokazooie: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★/ ★ ★ ****ING FINALLY. Nuff said. /He´s represented his games a little bit too well and suffers for it.
:ult_terry: ★ ★ ★ / ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Oh wow, terry. A clear Sakurai wish pick. / He represents his series well and it´s awesome. Except for that left side b. Love his comeback mechanic
:ultbyleth: ★ / ★ ★ Months of secrecy for this commercial character, you serious?/ What a drag of a character. I think i´ll punish whoever uses him with a mii gunner Sans

[/collapse]
For what it's worth, the only base-game characters I've had any hype for since Brawl have been Villager, Mega Man, Little Mac, Ridley, and K. Rool. I would have been completely satisfied if Ultimate was "Everyone is Here" + Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, Isaac, and Geno, but even in that scenario I would not hesitate to cut 20-30 characters.

Edit: in fact, here's what I would consider the perfect Smash Bros game (assume lots of alt costumes/echoes for characters like Falco and Lucas who are missing)

View attachment 275564
seeing no jigglypuff, palutena, cloud, falco, ryu , bayo, snake, simon hurts.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
That's because Ultimate is still ongoing so it makes sense that Byleth and ARMS are on the low end of things, in my opinion.
Oh, okay that makes much more sense. I thought you were counting the fighter passes as separate. I guess ignoring plant (which makes sense because it was a freebie and probably planned for base) that does seem like a good indicator. Thanks for the clarification!

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Just curious, how scared (or hyped) are y'all for the Mii Costumes for tommorow?
Deathly afraid, as usual.
Same as it ever was.
Same as it ever was.
Same as it ever was.
Same as it ever was.
Same as it ever was.
Same as it ever was.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Just curious, how scared (or hyped) are y'all for the Mii Costumes for tommorow?
My cheeks are clenched each time. The logical side of me says if his costume was to come back, it would be with a square character as opposed to a Nintendo character.

But the cheeks shall be clenched regardless.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Depends. I'm pretty excited to see what they go for with the next indie + song Mii Costume (I know it will happen, given the pattern with Sand and Cuckhead)

pinshadow

Smash Lord

We have two other instances of third-party companies getting non-playable DLC outside of Ubisoft, Arc System Works with Kunio spirits and Digital Extremes with the Warframe spirit. Did Nintendo go to them and ask them if they could add them to the game? Of course not, it's almost certainly the other way around. Smash is the biggest fighting game in the world right now, everyone wants a piece of that pie. Now, given that we have actual confirmation from ID that talks were held between Bethesda and Nintendo about Smash in some fashion, and that Id said they'd never been approached about having him playable (Sakurai likes talking with the original dev teams about Smash, especially for western stuff, he worked with the Rare team specifically on Banjo, not just Microsoft), how is it unreasonable to suggest that even if Nintendo decided not to include a character they couldn't include a Mii Costume or something. Seriously, if Warframe can get representation in the game I don't see Bethesda not getting something, especially with how well they're getting along with Nintendo this gen.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
We shall see what the Mii Costumes are. I'm confident we won't be seeing Geno's, but we shall see how accurate some of the info from many months back holds up

ZerBerry

Smash Cadet
not worried at all. not just for geno but for all my other most wanted as well
i just can't see any of them working as mii costumes and as for geno, well, it just won't happen for the several reasons we already all know

i'm just curious about what we are gonna get

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm mostly just curious. Going to see if any of Mii Costume Guy's costumes pop up or ones that support my future predictions for the pass.
I'm expecting this and either the last two Capcom costumes or something from Bandai Namco

Droodle

Smash Lord
If Cacodemon is real, I can't see us getting it and not get a Doomguy mii costume (or a playable Doomguy) as well. Yeah, Cacodemon is a mascot of Doom; but the most recognizable character of Doom is still Doomguy.

That said, I'm not expecting Cacodemon tomorrow.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Ay, why not, I love jumping on bandwagons like this:

-Smash 4

:ultmewtwo: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
:ultlucas: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
:ultroy: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
:ultryu: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
:ultcloud: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
:ultcorrin: ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
:ultbayonetta: ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

-Ultimate

:ultpiranha: ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
:ultjoker: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
:ulthero: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
:ultbanjokazooie: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
:ult_terry: ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆
:ultbyleth: ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah, I'll admit I haven't been too excited for most DLC characters in the series so far if I'm honest. To be fair though, I never really got much into Smash 4 back in its day, so that's why everyone's an average 3/5 for me in there (except Corrin and Bayonetta because even then I thought they were anti-hype ways to end DLC season).

Things are looking up in Ultimate for me though. FP1 + Plant was a mixed bag, Banjo pretty much being the only highlight for me, and Joker getting me floored since he was so outta left field, but I have a lotta faith in FP2. Depending on who they picked for ARMS, they'll likely be either a 3/5 or 4/5 for me, and needless to say, Geno will be an easy 5/5 when he inevitably comes out. :)

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
DLC rating here we go.
:4mewtwo::5/5 (best veteran return, FACT)
:4lucas::5/5
:4feroy::4/5
:4ryu::3/5
:4cloud::4/5
:4corrin::4corrinf::1/5
:4bayonetta::-9000/5

For Ultimate:
:ultpiranha:: Doesn't deserve a ****ing rating.
:ultjoker::0/5
:ulthero::3/5
:ultbanjokazooie::5/5
:ult_terry:3.5/5
:ultbyleth::1/5

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Mii costumes for tomorrow: Shantae or Hollow Knight for another Indie rep.
Some arms costumes.
Another 3rd party costume, probably Namco.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, just wanted to pop in and say I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy. I also wanted to send some good vibes for tomorrow. Fingers crossed Geno survives another round of Mii Costumes. Here's hoping we see a spirit promotion tomorrow too. If it is Min Min, it'll be interesting to see how they treat her existing spirit.

D

Deleted member

DLC rating:

Smash 4
:4mewtwo: 5/5
:4lucas:3/5
:4feroy:5/5
:4ryu:5/5
:4cloud:5/5
:4corrinf:3/5
:4bayonetta2:5/5

Ultimate
:ultjoker:4/5
:ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4:5/5
:ultbanjokazooie:2/5
:ult_terry:4/5
:ultbyleth:4/5

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm not really worried about the Mii Costumes tomorrow either because, unlike Smash 4, the Mii Costumes picks seem to be more... sensitive, I guess? In Smash 4, big character choices were nuked left and while a vast majority of the Mii costume picks in Ultimate have been characters whose chances of being playable were probably super far flung anyways. For example, getting a Goemon costume was really nice. Same with Veronica (you'd get it if you played DQ XI). None of the Mii costume waves so far have had genuine gut punches in them, in fact, Sans and Cuphead are definitive proof that it's kind of been the opposite. In Smash 4, we were seeing Top 10 characters getting Womp Womp Twomped while in Ultimate, we're seeing Top 25 - 50 at worst.

TTF

Smash Journeyman
We're ranking how hype we were for each DLC character? Okay, I guess I'll do the same. 6 stars are the highest, and 1 star is the lowest.

Sm4sh:
:4mewtwo:: *****
:4lucas:: ****
:4feroy:: ***
:4ryu:: ****
:4cloud:: *****
:4corrin:: *
:4bayonetta:: ***

Ultimate:
:ultpiranha:: ***
:ultjoker:: ****
:ulthero::ulthero3::ulthero4::ulthero2:: ***
:ultbanjokazooie:: ******
:ult_terry:: ****
:ultbyleth:: *
Smash 3DS & Wii U

:4mewtwo:: 4/5
:4lucas:: 3/5
:4feroy:: 3/5
:4ryu:: 4/5
:4cloud:: 5/5
:4corrin: :4corrinf:: 3/5
:4bayonetta:: 5/5

Ultimate

:ultpiranha:: 4/5
:ultjoker:: 4/5
:ulthero: :ulthero2: :ulthero3: :ulthero4:: 3/5
:ultbanjokazooie:: 5/5
:ult_terry: 3/5
:ultbyleth:: 2/5

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I think we might not actually get any ARMS costumes. We already have 2 in the base-game and Byleth didn't come with any Fire-Emblem costumes, or any first-party costumes really. For that matter,
  • We didn't get a single first-party costume with the first-pass (aside from the Team Rocket costume but the Pokemon Company is weird when it comes to Smash so who knows what the deal with that was), obviously because unlike Smash 4 they actually planned for DLC this time and got everything they wanted first-party wise in the base-game.
  • That being said, the Ancient Armor set coming with Pass 2 is proof enough they have more ideas for first-party costumes in Pass 2 and I think we're going to see stuff for first-party games that might not have been out at the time of Ultimate's release.
Either way we have basically nothing to worry about tomorrow.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
While I understand that how excited you were back when they were revealed might not apply to now, I find that a lot of people don't give games a chance. To the people giving characters 1/5 or 0/5, I'd strongly recommend playing the games that they're from (if you haven't already done so since then).

...with the possible exception of Corrin; maybe it's just that the Birthright route isn't interesting, but I found Fates to be significant worse (or at least harder to get invested in) than Awakening and Three Houses. (it felt like the game was throwing a new character at me every mission, not taking time to give most of them distinct personalities, and then promptly forgetting about them)

Still, if you haven't played them, Bayonetta 2, Persona 5, and Fire Emblem: Three Houses are all amazing games. (I get that how excited you are about a character's inclusion might not always overlap with whether or not you've played their game, but I figure that it helps - people are going to be more excited about a character that they're familiar with) So are Banjo-Kazooie, Dragon Quest XI, etc., but I figure that those three characters seem to be getting low scores more regularly than the others.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
The Mii Costumes now in ultimate is meant to be almost towards the original. Sure, even indies too does receive it, but some might be better as some other form since not all can match the source material costumes display

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
If the Hollow Knight Mii costume is revealed with the Sealed Vessel remix, then the leak is probably real. The leak I'm talking about is
a League of Leagues rep being in Smash, along with some LoL games. The leaker got the Trials of Mana spirits right, now we wait if the leaker is also right about that Mii costume with that remix. The leaker said they don't know who, but they're betting on Ahri.
1592788397461.png

TTF

Smash Journeyman
While I understand that how excited you were back when they were revealed might not apply to now, I find that a lot of people don't give games a chance. To the people giving characters 1/5 or 0/5, I'd strongly recommend playing the games that they're from (if you haven't already done so since then).

...with the possible exception of Corrin; maybe it's just that the Birthright route isn't interesting, but I found Fates to be significant worse (or at least harder to get invested in) than Awakening and Three Houses. (it felt like the game was throwing a new character at me every mission, not taking time to give most of them distinct personalities, and then promptly forgetting about them)

Still, if you haven't played them, Bayonetta 2, Persona 5, and Fire Emblem: Three Houses are all amazing games. (I get that how excited you are about a character's inclusion might not always overlap with whether or not you've played their game, but I figure that it helps - people are going to be more excited about a character that they're familiar with) So are Banjo-Kazooie, Dragon Quest XI, etc., but I figure that those three characters seem to be getting low scores more regularly than the others.
My lowest rated dlc is Byleth with 2/5. And not for the "RAH TOO MANY FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS!" nonsense, I like their concept and their stage & music and the most I've played of Three Houses was fun. The character themselves though just didn't click with me.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I have played a game featuring every DLC character in both Smash games except Joker and Byleth. I can enjoy Bayonetta on a technical level but no amount of thinking her games are fun makes me think she belongs in Smash. I care a lot more about longevity in Smash speculation and history with Nintendo than I care about a character from a recent game being shilled for advertising purposes that may be fun

The whole "celebration of gaming" direction that Smash games have apparently trended toward (note: celebration of gaming means games Sakurai personally enjoys, I don't believe for a second that the Nintendo boardroom decided a Persona or King of Fighters character belongs in Smash Bros) is not something I like at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom