• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
View attachment 275454
Imran's thoughts on how this Fighter's Pass will go.

He pretty much states that he thinks that this pass will primarily be a first party dominated one, with maybe 1-2 third party characters. It's much easier to get 1st party characters and keep them around for future titles, not to mention advertising Nintendo properties increases value for those properties.

I don't think he's trying to leak anything here, but I do think that Imran knows a lot about the background of Smash DLC. Maybe this conclusion is supported by what he's hearing? He did know that FP 2 was greenlit around E3 2019, and that Terry's remixes were going to be amazing from what he'd heard back in September.

I'm already of the belief that getting ARMS first meant that this pass would likely have multiple 1st party characters, I was leaning towards 3-4 and Imran's words make me more confident in that. As for my guess, it'll end up being ARMS, Rex, Geno, Isaac, Rayman, and a Toxtricity/Urshifu. I don't expect we'll get both Geno and Waluigi, 2 Mario reps in the exact same pass make little sense. I feel pretty confident on Rex. Isaac, and a Pokemon make a lot of sense in terms of 1st party characters, but I'm not super confident in them. Geno and Rayman feel like pretty likely 3rd parties (but I could see neither of them making it in, there are others like Bandai Namco for example that make a lot of sense).

I hope Imran is right because that could mean Dixie Kong and Krystal could still have a chance.

Sakurai’s cat confirms Geno for us.
Watch Sakurai's cat wearing a Geno hat to reference us.

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman

Min Min is so far winning.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
The idea of a mostly 1st Party Pass this time around is interesting

On one hand, it kinda makes sense. A lot of people have their eyes on Smash since any game character is possible. Putting first party characters front line to promote a handful of Nintendo properties while everyone is paying attention makes sense

On the flip side, 3rd parties do make a lot of noise and have the potential to grab in new players who don't normally play Nintendo

Personally would prefer more 3rd parties since this is a once and lifetime crossover that we probably won't see again. But as long as most 1st party picks are fan requested, I'll be happy with that too

The good news is, no matter which direction Nintendo takes, it doesn't really hurt Geno. He's a 3rd Party character that belongs to a 1st party Nintendo franchise. Basically overlapping both. That's a very comfy position to be in and I think it's really good for his chances

Last edited:

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
*pokes her head in*

Heeeeeeeeeey It's been awhile huh? Not sure how many people remember me ahahahaha

Don't expect this to be a full return or anything. Just checking in to make sure you all haven't gone insane. I've basically quit smash speculation and let me tell ya it's done wonders for my mental health. But yeah. Hopefully Monday doesn't show a Geno costume and all that.
Welcome back! Also I remember you, its been a while tho!
Incoming.

GENOS #2!!! Nearly 1000 votes!! : D

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
The idea of a mostly first party pass I would probably be ok with. Yeah, my most wanted picks would get very limited chances since they're almost all third party (and also Western). However, it would allow for me to like the pass in general since I like a lot of Nintendo franchises. Exceptions are most of the JRPG series and stuff like F Zero I'm pretty indifferent to, but characters like Waluigi, King Boo, Chibi Robo, Bandana Dee, Sylux, Skull Kid, etc. I would all be down with.

(I do like ARMS from a visual and world standpoint and while I will probably enjoy the gameplay style of ARMS in Smash regardless of who it is, I think I'm in the severe minority that finds Min Min to be a "meh" choice and likes Springman. Though if I were to completely move aside the idea of the "Spirits and Assist Trophy rules" getting shattered, I would love for characters like Helix, Byte and Barq, and Master Mummy to get in.)

Dukefire

Smash Master
Every character is unique on their own right. Obvious is that only one or four? will be chosen to fight as a fighter regarding fan rules.

Who it is? We will see tomorrow since Sunday is rolling in.
EUCxOYwXkAENS1K.jpeg

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
That’s...pretty damn suspicious if I say so myself. Makes me feel like the Hero situation may actually be happening.
Or it could be the opposite and the character is none of them, which is also cruel.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Arms Presentation Check List:
-Sakurai makes several memeable lines
-Someone here dies of a heart attack during the Mii Costume showcase
-Sakurai jokes about how much longer he has to work on this game
-Sakurai says something that's good news for Geno but it's toted around as bad news for Geno because of course it is
-Sakurai fills up half the time being the charismatic rock star he truly is
-Sakurai's got a nice living room
Would it be a true Sakurai Presents if none of those were met?

Honestly, I've loved his Presentations. Sakurai showing off the characters in such a light-hearted environment is too wholesome for words.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So two outcomes here:

1. Min Min is coming alone.

2. We get a Hero scenario with Min Min, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, ect with Spring Man or Min Min as the default alt and the others being alternate alts.

Last edited:

Franauts

Smash Cadet
A fighter pass made up primarily of 1st Party characters would be cool. One of my most wanted characters is Porky Minch, Smash lacks villains, also I love Mother, he is an evil character but goofy and ridiculous at the same time, an envious fat boy who isn´t "another psychic boy" or "another swordsman". He would definitely be my main. It would be like having Eric Cartman in Smash

Adding up to the fact that there is no Porky spirit in the game (it's not supposed to be in the capsule, I'm not sure), or that right now there is a Mother celebration related to various merchandising, I don't know, I wish that it will happen.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A fighter pass made up primarily of 1st Party characters would be cool. One of my most wanted characters is Porky Minch, Smash lacks villains, also I love Mother, he is an evil character but goofy and ridiculous at the same time, an envious fat boy who isn´t "another psychic boy" or "another swordsman". He would definitely be my main.

Adding up to the fact that there is no Porky spirit in the game (it's not supposed to be in the capsule, I'm not sure), or that right now there is a Mother celebration related to various merchandising, I don't know, I wish that it will happen.
Another Pig Mask comrade I see. :)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Absolutely. The fanart of the Porky moveset that circulated online was quite funny and out of the ordinary.
I was thrilled when our leader King P was ranked at 30th place in the Smash Mega Poll. Comrade, I see Porky's future being brighter and brighter because of this on going support. Let's dance to celebrate my fellow Pig Mask comrade!

Trevenant

Smash Lord
So two outcomes here:

1. Min Min is coming alone.

2. We get a Hero scenario with Min Min, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, ect with Spring Man or Min Min as the default alt and the others being alternate alts.
But he didn't actually know the results of the poll when he put it up unless he was being foresighted which does kind of defeat the purpose of the joke. Honestly either this is just a casual poll or it's just him joking about.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
What's that, I've been absent from the thread the last several days and missed around 100 pages? Why, now I have to come back with a spicy Cacomallow meme!

they hated cacomallow.png

We might be at the homestretch, lads! If Cacodemon hat is shown this Monday, we ****ing won!

Last edited:

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I can see a mostly 1st party pack being hype actually.

FP6. Min Min - would show spirits are fair game now.
FP7. Geno - typical E3 reveal after Ridley and Banjo. Logical next step after Min Min.
FP8. Crash - huge 3rd party icon, would’ve made for a huge E3 reveal.
FP9. Rex (& Pyra?) - I don’t know a lot about the Xenoblade series but Rex is relevant, much-requested and could give the Xenoblade series a sales boost on Switch
FP10. Rhythm Heaven rep (Chorus Kids?) - the most difficult one. Are they hype enough? I would think so. The character would bring a unique mechanic and style. It is confirmed that old ideas are being rethought (Chorus Kids). A Sakurai oddball pick, yes, but I can see it happening after they almost were in Smash 4.
FP11. Isaac - a BIG Nintendo request, being an AT at this moment, so it’d be shocking to see the character in as playable.

These are mostly new Nintendo series who could still be heavily upgraded yet could bring hype, I think.

I could even stretch it further saying Waluigi is a bonus character after the pass, since he doesn’t need a stage.

Also, I think characters like Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee would also be hype enough for a mostly 1st party pack.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
View attachment 275454
Imran's thoughts on how this Fighter's Pass will go.

He pretty much states that he thinks that this pass will primarily be a first party dominated one, with maybe 1-2 third party characters. It's much easier to get 1st party characters and keep them around for future titles, not to mention advertising Nintendo properties increases value for those properties.

I don't think he's trying to leak anything here, but I do think that Imran knows a lot about the background of Smash DLC. Maybe this conclusion is supported by what he's hearing? He did know that FP 2 was greenlit around E3 2019, and that Terry's remixes were going to be amazing from what he'd heard back in September.

I'm already of the belief that getting ARMS first meant that this pass would likely have multiple 1st party characters, I was leaning towards 3-4 and Imran's words make me more confident in that. As for my guess, it'll end up being ARMS, Rex, Geno, Isaac, Rayman, and a Toxtricity/Urshifu. I don't expect we'll get both Geno and Waluigi, 2 Mario reps in the exact same pass make little sense. I feel pretty confident on Rex. Isaac, and a Pokemon make a lot of sense in terms of 1st party characters, but I'm not super confident in them. Geno and Rayman feel like pretty likely 3rd parties (but I could see neither of them making it in, there are others like Bandai Namco for example that make a lot of sense).
So he essentially saying that he expects that this fighter pass will be a "marketing one" for their own IPs? How shocking (sarcasm)... them announcing that they would be able to play Arms for free for a certain amount of time directly after they said that there will be an Arms character should be enough evidence towards that... You would think they start with something big after Byleth... but they go two marketing stunts in a row.....

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
The guy who made these celebratory videos for long-time fan favorites.

Honestly these are his only great ones. The Simon one is fine but lacks impact, Sans is really lackluster, Banjo came too late (not just because he got hacked for the whole duration) and the song isn't very good, and the Isabelle one was pretty much done as a joke. Also he has a terrible record with trying to guess what videos he'll do next (teased Geno getting one after K. Rool, he didn't get in base game. Teased his guess for Reimu as Fighter 5, she never happened (here's to hoping she does).
I only like his smash videos though.
Y'all like BINGO?
View attachment 275473

First real news in 5 months, let's hope it pays off for us!
MIN MIN GOOIGI, CHARACTER UPGRADE, hollow knight costume, cat, buy arms and acknowledge delay

Dukefire

Smash Master
So, what do you think the ARMS rep reveal trailer be like for one or multiple characters?
Screenshot_20200326-093028_YouTube.jpg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So about bonus characters: Who do y'all potentially see if we get any besides Waluigi? I put stock on Dixie Kong if we get more than 2 bonus fighters. Plus I had a dream about a Dixie Kong reveal trailer not too long ago and Geno was in her gameplay montage in my dream.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
So about bonus characters: Who do y'all potentially see if we get any besides Waluigi? I put stock on Dixie Kong if we get more than 2 bonus fighters. Plus I had a dream about a Dixie Kong reveal trailer not too long ago and Geno was in her gameplay montage in my dream.
Dixie Kong and Bandana Waddle Dee are probably the most likely bonus characters due to their popularity and their franchises popularity

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I know its disappointing we won't be getting the reveal of CP7 at this ARMS presentation like most of us were hoping for, but I wanna be the first to say that I am at least thankful Nintendo clarified that we are just getting the reveal of the ARMS rep and nothing more. I personally think their would have been a much more bigger s*** storm if they weren't to say anything, so I'm at least glad Nintendo is putting our expectations in check

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I know its disappointing we won't be getting the reveal of CP7 at this ARMS presentation like most of us were hoping for, but I wanna be the first to say that I am at least thankful Nintendo clarified that we are just getting the reveal of the ARMS rep and nothing more. I personally think their would have been a much more bigger s*** storm if they weren't to say anything, so I'm at least glad Nintendo is putting our expectations in check
They did the same with Terry's showcase though. But still im glad we have some clarity and transparency regarding things like this.

D

Deleted member

I honestly think Geno's costume will return alongside playable Geno. K. Rool, Chrom, and Isabelle's costumes returned during base game so I don't see why they wouldn't for Geno. It's very possible we could get the Mii costume back as well as playable Geno.
I just remembered back in Smash 4 days, Nintendo released DLC Mii costumes based off Samus, Captain Falcon, and Fox characters that are already in the game. Maybe Nintendo would add Geno’s Mii costume with playable Geno for completion sake.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just remembered back in Smash 4 days, Nintendo released DLC Mii costumes based off Samus, Captain Falcon, and Fox characters that are already in the game. Maybe Nintendo would add Geno’s Mii costume with playable Geno for completion sake.
That's pretty much what I was saying.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
The poll isn't a meme or a troll, he doesn't normally do memes like this, when he does, you can easily tell.
The fighter, is one in the poll. (Or all)

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Less than 24 hours now. It begins. Here comes that anxiety of being disappointed of no spirit upgrade. Oh my.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Less than 24 hours now. It begins. Here comes that anxiety of being disappointed of no spirit upgrade. Oh my.
I'm keeping my hopes up - having trophies in the base game didn't stop Mewtwo and Lucas from being made into DLC for Smash 4, and ruling out spirit upgrades would mean that the development team would have to intentionally ignore most if not all of the most popular ARMS characters, which seems like an odd move.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The poll isn't a meme or a troll, he doesn't normally do memes like this, when he does, you can easily tell.
So I think it's Min Min alone or Min Min with Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, ect as alts a la Hero.

I'm keeping my hopes up - having trophies in the base game didn't stop Mewtwo and Lucas from being made into DLC for Smash 4, and ruling out spirit upgrades would mean that the development team would have to intentionally ignore most if not all of the most popular ARMS characters, which seems like an odd move.
Detractors: But Mewtwo and Lucas were veterans so your point doesn't count.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
My thought process is that if we get bonuses, they would have to be easy to develop and have something they can already work with. I also think It'd have to be primarily 1st parties because they would be relatively cheaper

Waluigi for example. He has a model and some animations with his Assist Trophy. There would still be a lot of reworking, but it wouldn't be as intensive as creating an entire character from scratch

Outside of Waluigi, Dixie I think is a good candidate. Didde Kong already exists and they can use him as a base. If they want to make it even easier, they can even make her an echo but with some character differences like Chrom

Isaac too I think would be a potential Bonus candidate for similar reasons as Waluigi. While we're on Assist Trophies, maybe Skull Kid too

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If that's the case, he likely believes that the chosen rep is the most popular character in Smash speculation, which would probably be Min Min. She has been dominating this aspect from what I can tell.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Since I think the bonus characters would actually be echo fighters, I'm expecting Dixie Kong, Metal Sonic/Shadow, Ribbon Girl (if the ARMS rep is Spring Man), a FE echo (could be anyone. If FE6 & 7 remake rumors are true then maybe Hector), a Pokemon echo, and HOPEFULLY Rock Howard.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Since I think the bonus characters would actually be echo fighters, I'm expecting Dixie Kong, Metal Sonic/Shadow, Ribbon Girl (if the ARMS rep is Spring Man), a FE echo (could be anyone. If FE6 & 7 remake rumors are true then maybe Hector), a Pokemon echo, and HOPEFULLY Rock Howard.
Duuuude Rock Howard echo with Reppuken instead of Power Wave would be sick

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I can see a mostly 1st party pack being hype actually.

FP6. Min Min - would show spirits are fair game now.
FP7. Geno - typical E3 reveal after Ridley and Banjo. Logical next step after Min Min.
FP8. Crash - huge 3rd party icon, would’ve made for a huge E3 reveal.
FP9. Rex (& Pyra?) - I don’t know a lot about the Xenoblade series but Rex is relevant, much-requested and could give the Xenoblade series a sales boost on Switch
FP10. Rhythm Heaven rep (Chorus Kids?) - the most difficult one. Are they hype enough? I would think so. The character would bring a unique mechanic and style. It is confirmed that old ideas are being rethought (Chorus Kids). A Sakurai oddball pick, yes, but I can see it happening after they almost were in Smash 4.
FP11. Isaac - a BIG Nintendo request, being an AT at this moment, so it’d be shocking to see the character in as playable.

These are mostly new Nintendo series who could still be heavily upgraded yet could bring hype, I think.

I could even stretch it further saying Waluigi is a bonus character after the pass, since he doesn’t need a stage.

Also, I think characters like Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee would also be hype enough for a mostly 1st party pack.
This...actually looks like a great pass. I would be so down for this. Krystal, Porky, or other Mario/Zelda characters would be great too. I'd hate to see Rayman miss out and Llyod fans get duped, but this kind of pass would be much better imo than FP1. A primarily first party pass also makes sense given the lack of leaks currently.

I feel like something really could be happening for Porky. I could see him as a bonus (not that he couldn't also be part of the pass). Dixie and BWD make a lot of sense tho too. Also, maybe a Zelda character? Maybe the totally canon Grampa Link. Echoes would also make some sense.

What are everyone's thoughts on bonuses now knowing that we won't be getting any additional character reveals with the ARMS character? Personally I don't think they were going to happen anyway, but I don't really think this affects their chances since it'd be perfectly fine to reveal them later and it's even possible they would have 7's reveal this month too just in a separate announcement. It's really hard to judge how all these reveals would be handled when we know so little.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom