• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So I had a question about what music you would like to see in Geno's trailer. In pretty much all of the character reveal trailers, the trailer begins with some 3D animated scene that reveals who the fighter is, followed by their splash screen, and then with gameplay footage showing off some of their moves. Now during gameplay footage, they play a soundtrack, usually a new remix, that will probably come with the character's pass. What song would you all like to hear in Geno's reveal trailer?

If you look at past trailers, the song selected does not have to be the main default song for the stage that comes with the character. For example, Hero's trailer actually came with two songs: the Dragon Quest main theme (I think, I don't know the series that well), which was not included with his pass, and then Adventure. Banjo's trailer did use the Spiral Mountain theme, but Terry's I think used Stormy Saxophone 2.

I feel like most people would probably want Beware of the Forest Mushrooms for Geno's trailer. While I think that would work well, I've always pictured his trailer using Fight Against an Armed Boss. That song would be the song that would make the trailer the most hype feeling for me. I also think any of the other Fight Against songs would be good choices.
Correction on the bolded part: Terry's trailer didn't use Stormy Saxophone 2. It was a remix of Kurikinton, his theme from Fatal Fury 2.

As for the music in Geno's trailer, Beware the Forest's Mushrooms would certainly be the most fitting... but I also wouldn't mind if they went with a remix of Happy Adventure, Delightful Adventure, the theme music that plays in the game's intro.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Hey, so can I say something that is probably sacrilege amongst a thread full of Geno fans, myself included?

The Forest Maze isn't really that interesting, and I honestly hope it's not our stage when Geno gets in.

Like yes, it's particularly memorable because A. It's where we get properly introduced to Geno and B. Rawust Forest used BTFM as its parody source, so of course we hold it close because of that (though obviously that's not the only reason, it's just worth noting). And the music is as amazing as all of Yoko's many top tier compositions.

But like... Most of it is just running through the same looking room looking for blue out of the corner of your eye while you try and work around what is easily the most obnoxious enemy placement in the entire game. Seriously, can we talk about how annoying that part actually is? It's one of the most generic game tropes, just with tons of enemies in the way.

There's also never really any reason to go back. Like, yeah, that can kinda be said about a lot of Mario RPG areas, that's just how the game is structured so there's nothing wrong with that, but it feels particularly prominent there. Unless you're going for the hidden treasures area, which I honestly don't even think is that worth it, it's really all she wrote.

I dunno, I'm probably just being contradictory for the sake of it, Forest Maze is cool, I just think it isn't as memorable as a lot of the other amazing locations in the game that I think would make for more interesting stage material.
Nah, I get you. Forest Maze is sick and is very much tied to Geno, but it's not as visually interesting to me as, say, Vista Hill or especially Star Road (which also suits Geno prety well), though it would have an easily-realised gimmick with Bowyer shooting into the stage.

MattX20

Smash Hero
and thus, the 3rd week begins. Let's hope we finally get some new information in the next few days

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Hey, so can I say something that is probably sacrilege amongst a thread full of Geno fans, myself included?

The Forest Maze isn't really that interesting, and I honestly hope it's not our stage when Geno gets in.

Like yes, it's particularly memorable because A. It's where we get properly introduced to Geno and B. Rawust Forest used BTFM as its parody source, so of course we hold it close because of that (though obviously that's not the only reason, it's just worth noting). And the music is as amazing as all of Yoko's many top tier compositions.

But like... Most of it is just running through the same looking room looking for blue out of the corner of your eye while you try and work around what is easily the most obnoxious enemy placement in the entire game. Seriously, can we talk about how annoying that part actually is? It's one of the most generic game tropes, just with tons of enemies in the way.

There's also never really any reason to go back. Like, yeah, that can kinda be said about a lot of Mario RPG areas, that's just how the game is structured so there's nothing wrong with that, but it feels particularly prominent there. Unless you're going for the hidden treasures area, which I honestly don't even think is that worth it, it's really all she wrote.

I dunno, I'm probably just being contradictory for the sake of it, Forest Maze is cool, I just think it isn't as memorable as a lot of the other amazing locations in the game that I think would make for more interesting stage material.
Star Hill is my favorite place thematically even though that area is really brief. However, the Forest Maze feels like one of those places like Spiral Mountain where it just screams default location for representation.

I honestly want a stage where you have the forest maze but you have VistaHill/Exor looming over it in the foreground like you have the Moon doing in Termina Bay.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to lean towards that we'll end up only getting ARMS as the only DLC reveal this month.

Work From Home ended in Japan late last month, and from what I recall Nintendo really struggled with adapting to those conditions. There were rumors that a Mario direct was going to end up happening back in April but ended up being cancelled, which is why something like Paper Mario was revealed over twitter. There's also a lot of hints indicating that this years E3 would have been phenomenal (Nintendo skimped out on a ton of events like Game Awards and the March mini, they likely wanted to drop a huge bombshell during E3 which is coincidentally when they'd be trying to rival Sony/Microsoft's next gen announcements).

Nintendo has yet to announce anything "big" related to new games during E3. We did end up getting Pokemon DLC trailers and a second Paper Mario trailer, but they aren't huge "brand new" announcements. Since WFM ended, I'm guessing they're back in office (or they may be exercising caution and are WFM until the situation is absolutely under control). If they have returned to office then it's likely that they have started to plan/finish a potential direct, as they need to get out the marketing for upcoming games soon. A direct is a much safer way to market material compared to some twitter announcements.

So really, unless they start announcing huge bombshells next week; I do think they'll end up doing a "mega" direct around late July/early August (which would combine their plans for an E3 and a September direct). I would expect that we'll see some highly anticipated games alongside characters 7 and 8 around this time. I think they'll stick with already announced/smaller games for the entirety of June, the only exceptions I can see being are a potential Pikmin 3 Deluxe port and maybe character 7; but if ARMS doesn't come with 7, I'll think that 7 is being save for a July/August direct.
You’re right about Nintendo having problems to adapt, but the Smash team is not part of that. AFAIK, the team is a mix of Bandai Namco and Sakurai’s team at Sora Ltd. The important thing here is that they didn’t suffer the same development impact that Nintendo did, on the contrary: Sakurai said that progress was coming smoothly. I agree that normal Nintendo games will take a while to announce, but Smash is a different beast all on it’s own and I don’t doubt we’re getting more reveals sooner rather than later.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I have a question: Would you guys like Geno have his own trailer, or would you not mind him sharing it with another character like the ARMS one?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
You’re right about Nintendo having problems to adapt, but the Smash team is not part of that. AFAIK, the team is a mix of Bandai Namco and Sakurai’s team at Sora Ltd. The important thing here is that they didn’t suffer the same development impact that Nintendo did, on the contrary: Sakurai said that progress was coming smoothly. I agree that normal Nintendo games will take a while to announce, but Smash is a different beast all on it’s own and I don’t doubt we’re getting more reveals sooner rather than later.
And how this isn't a Smash game, but DLC characters and stages, so the workload has to be SIGNIFICANTLY easier to deal with than a full game. And if a character takes 9ish months from start to finish, then 6, 7 and maybe 8 were started well in advance back in fall.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I have a question: Would you guys like Geno have his own trailer, or would you not mind him sharing it with another character like the ARMS one?
Obviously, I'd love for Geno to have his own trailer, but so long as the trailer is cool, he could share a trailer with the rest of the DLC fighters and all current fighters for all I care. I just want him in the game. He could have no trailer and be randomly shadowdropped at the worst possible time and have the reveal spoiled and I'd still be beyond hyped. I'll drive my fiance crazy calling Geno "mah boy!" And saying "mah boy's in Smash!" Just like how I call Falinks "mah boy" even tho Falinks is genderless and drive her crazy doing that. Speaking of which ... I don't think I mentioned in the thread that I got engaged on June 3rd.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

TerminalMontage put up a new video 15minutes ago, already has 50,000+ views.

His inevitable Geno in Smash video will obliterate headphones.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If we discount weekends and the remaining 2 Fridays of this month, there are only 9 days left in all of June to not only get the ARMS fighter announced, but also released and possibly the announcement of FP7

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
If we discount weekends and the remaining 2 Fridays of this month, there are only 9 days left in all of June to not only get the ARMS fighter announced, but also released and possibly the announcement of FP7
Looks like someone is forgetting a possible release on June 33.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, I get your point, I think what I like the most out of it is mostly the music. Otherwise it's mostly just a forest. I think other locations like Nimbus Land, Star Hill, Weapons Factory or maybe even Monstro Town could make for pretty nice stages. If they could do a travelling stage that goes over different SMRPG locations that could be great, but I understand that could be a bit too much to play on.

protoblues

Smash Cadet
I guess Nintendo is taking their time this month trying to wait out the news cycle around their competitors. They might have already spoken up if Sony hadn't delayed their own conference.

June is busy though. They will be competing against WWDC if they decide to hold until next week.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I guess Nintendo is taking their time this month trying to wait out the news cycle around their competitors. They might have already spoken up if Sony hadn't delayed their own conference.

June is busy though. They will be competing against WWDC if they decide to hold until next week.
Like I said, not counting today, they only have 9 days left to get this done. The longer they hold it back, the worse it becomes if it doesn't deliver

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
As someone who has never played Super Mario RPG, I'm probably not the most qualified to talk about which environments I think are boring/interesting. However, just looking from the outside in, I actually agree with the sentiments that the Forest Maze is a touch boring compared to the other environments that could he included. Now I'm not saying the Forest Maze would be a bad stage to include, but personally I'd rather have Star Road, Smithy's Weapon Factory (both of these are unlikely to happen I feel), or my personal favorite...

Kinklink_SMRPG.png

So while I haven't played the game, as I said, this environment and setup is really cool to me. The idea of Mario and Bowser fighting atop bright chandeliers as Bowser's Castle is blacked-out in the background aside from the gleam of its windows... just cool I tell ya. Especially since this is the beginning of the game from what I've heard. Sakurai typically doesn't include late game areas, but it would be cool if we finally got a Bowser's Castle stage (something I know quite a few people want) and we got to fight in this environment!

(I think the stage will probably the Forest Maze though. And while it personally isn't my favorite choice, it makes sense that it'd be chosen)

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
1592227774228.png

What if they announce the ARMS rep today and have it release on the anniversary (tomorrow)

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
To be honest, I’m fine to have a t pose Geno. A win is a win.
(Doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve better. I just want the confirmation however it is presented. Lol)

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Congrats! Wish you guys the best! Have you set a date yet?
Not yet. We don't really want wedding photos of everyone in masks lol. We are going to try to plan everything we can and probably book a venue for a year or so out so we can hopefully get a discount for booking during this time while also allowing for enough time for things to calm down. Initially we were planning for a 2 year engagement and it looks like we might be looking at that whether we like it or not.

To try to make this somewhat on topic, I don't think she will let me have the life-size Geno cake that I would want to have. She still supports me despite how much of a nerd I am. She did accept my proposal after all that involved me sneaking the ring into her Pokemon Card Elite Trainer Box before she opened it without her knowing it lol.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Hey, so can I retort with something that is probably sacrilege amongst a thread full of Geno fans, myself included?

Star Hill isn't really that interesting, and I honestly hope it's not our stage when Geno gets in.

Like yes, it's particularly memorable because A. It's where we get one of the titular collectables and B. It's used as papagenos papagenos end card, so of course we hold it close because of that (though obviously that's not the only reason, it's just worth noting). And the music is as amazing as all of Yoko's many top tier compositions.

But like... Most of it is just running through the same looking rooms looking for green out of the corner of your eye while you try and work around what is easily the most sparse enemy placement in the entire game. Seriously, can we talk about how boring that part actually is? It's one of the most generic game tropes, just a few enemies in out of the way places.

There's also never really any reason to go back. Like, yeah, that can kinda be said about a lot of Mario RPG areas, that's just how the game is structured so there's nothing wrong with that, but it feels particularly prominent there. Unless you're going to read everyone's wishes like a nosey neighbour, which I honestly don't even think is that worth it, it's really all she wrote.

I dunno, I'm probably just being contradictory for the sake of it, Star Hill is cool, I just think it isn't as memorable as a lot of the other amazing locations in the game that I think would make for more interesting stage material.

TerminalMontage put up a new video 15minutes ago, already has 50,000+ views.

His inevitable Geno in Smash video will obliterate headphones.
Another homerun, though I noticed there weren't any Geno cameos in this video. Or maybe I just missed them?

Firox

Smash Master
Not yet. We don't really want wedding photos of everyone in masks lol. We are going to try to plan everything we can and probably book a venue for a year or so out so we can hopefully get a discount for booking during this time while also allowing for enough time for things to calm down. Initially we were planning for a 2 year engagement and it looks like we might be looking at that whether we like it or not.
Yeah, I figured you'd want to wait, but taking advantage of the cheap booking right now is really smart.

She did accept my proposal after all that involved me sneaking the ring into her Pokemon Card Elite Trainer Box before she opened it without her knowing it lol.
Wait....you proposed with a box of Pokemon cards? Most. Epic. Proposal. Ever.

ey, so can I retort with something that is probably sacrilege amongst a thread full of Geno fans, myself included?

Star Hill isn't really that interesting, and I honestly hope it's not our stage when Geno gets in.

Like yes, it's particularly memorable because A. It's where we get one of the titular collectables and B. It's used as papagenos papagenos papagenos papagenos end card, so of course we hold it close because of that (though obviously that's not the only reason, it's just worth noting). And the music is as amazing as all of Yoko's many top tier compositions.

But like... Most of it is just running through the same looking rooms looking for green out of the corner of your eye while you try and work around what is easily the most sparse enemy placement in the entire game. Seriously, can we talk about how boring that part actually is? It's one of the most generic game tropes, just a few enemies in out of the way places.

There's also never really any reason to go back. Like, yeah, that can kinda be said about a lot of Mario RPG areas, that's just how the game is structured so there's nothing wrong with that, but it feels particularly prominent there. Unless you're going to read everyone's wishes like a nosey neighbour, which I honestly don't even think is that worth it, it's really all she wrote.

I dunno, I'm probably just being contradictory for the sake of it, Star Hill is cool, I just think it isn't as memorable as a lot of the other amazing locations in the game that I think would make for more interesting stage material.
This isn't really sacrilege as far as I'm concerned. To be honest, I thought the exact same thing. Star Hill may fit Geno THEMATICALLY but not so much DYNAMICALLY. It really is kind of bland place to have a Smash Bros stage. My hopes are still on having it at one of the following places:

1) Bowser's Keep Chandeliers
2) Bowser's Keep/Exor fight shifting stage
3) Vista Hill (a pretty awesome background of Exor sticking out of Bowser's keep while fighting atop a cliff)
4) Bean Stalk to Nimbus Land
5) Forest Maze

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
If we really don't get an announcement this far into the month on ARMS' own anniversary, I feel like we're probably going to be waiting a good while longer.

Man, the radio silence in general from Nintendo is just obnoxious, not just for Smash. If you're not going to tell us anything, then tell us when you will.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I'm not really arguing about the development of Smash DLC though. I know its going smoothly.

Sakurai has stated that the reveal/release are not up to him or his team, they're up to Nintendo. So really, it doesn't matter if development is going "smoothly" at Bamco, it's Nintendo that ultimately decides the release/reveal dates of content.

I can see us maybe getting character 7 with ARMS, but if they skip out; I think we're in it for a late July/early August direct. They aren't going to be shadowdropping a Smash reveal on twitter, and Smash in and of itself is a big draw to their directs/events. I could see them maybe livestreaming a reveal ahead of time, (if I recall correctly that's what they did with Robin and Lucina in Smash 4); but I think Nintendo has gotten used to Smash being a part of their directs at this point that they'd rather wait it out.

EDIT: If the ARMS presentation is labeled as a Smash Direct then I definitely see 7 being revealed. However, if they just label it as an ARMS presentation, then the likelihood of that decreases a ton. So far all the presentations have a huge focus on that character, and the only time an exception has occurred is when 2 seconds of Terry was shown off in the Banjo presentation (but Terry was already revealed beforehand in the same day direct). Needless to say a ton of people, including me, thought that Terry's presentation would contain 5 (before they confirmed that it wouldn't), or that 5's presentation would contain 6 due to how long the wait had been (and it didn't).

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
If we really don't get an announcement this far into the month on ARMS' own anniversary, I feel like we're probably going to be waiting a good while longer.

Man, the radio silence in general from Nintendo is just obnoxious, not just for Smash. If you're not going to tell us anything, then tell us when you will.
Exactly, the lack of transparency even now when E3 was cancelled is quite obnoxious to say the least.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Hey ya'll. I would quickly like to apologize for not being as active on this thread as I usually am. Its just that with the huge Nintendo drought, I have been just finding less and less things to talk about since we all have pretty much talked about every single thing their is to talk about up until this point.

Also, thank you to everyone who wished me a happy birthday yesterday. We unfortunately didn't get an announcement but hopefully we get one soon!

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice
Another homerun, though I noticed there weren't any Geno cameos in this video. Or maybe I just missed them?
PicsArt_06-15-06.19.25.jpg

Star Hill isn't really that interesting
I agree with this, it was the most boring star piece of all, no boss, no major enemy, no interesting encounter, nothing, just get the star and that's it. And then you have the red star piece which is inside a volcano, but before going to the volcano you have to met Mallow's parents first, but before that you have to rescue them from Valentina and Dodo, but before that you have to pass the Bean Valley and destroy a Megasmilax, but even before that you have to visit Monstro Town first. And after doing all that and defeating the Czar Dragon Zombone Axem Rangers, you can finally get the red star piece. They should have saved the Axem Rangers for the purple star piece or something. What I'm trying to say is that Star Hill doesn't have much to offer as a stage compared to other locations in SMRPG, I admit that it does have a nice and cool aesthetic, but that's all.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Big fat oof, nothing tomorrow, unlikely we're gonna see anything this week then, dang.
I share your dread over the seemingly endless wait, but I think Monday afternoon is a little early to start giving up on the week. Thursday seems to be the cut off each week where if there is nothing announced, we can move on to next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom