• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franauts

Smash Cadet
Sakurai and her development team are moving fast. Recall that the presentation and release of the Heroes was on July 30-31. And in the Banjo video, Sakurai says that it has been a while for us, but that this presentation (the banjo presentation was recorded days after the Hero presentation).

In fact, by the beginning of June, a large part of packs 2 and 3 were made as we saw in E32019 (such as textures, backgrounds, final smash, etc.). Sakurai has said that Terry's video was shot a month before its release (October) and Byleth's video a month after that (November).

All this tells us how advanced the development of new characters is, I even think that discussions, meetings and legal issues related to rights or music are long before the development even started. It makes sense, the Nintendo website was updated during fall 2018 with Banjo Kazooie game info, and its DLC was released a year later.

However, due to the pandemic we do not know what is happening now, he says that it is going well, we have to wait for the next presentations

Last edited by a moderator:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
With the talk about waiting, I just want some explanation of what's coming in the pass Nintendo wants me to pay for. Like I don't even need to get into time but it's like:
"Come buy our DLC fighters for $25"
"Who's the fighter"
"Ohhhhhhhh I dunno"
"You can't even tell me anything?"
"Wellllll we got an ARMS guy"
"Who?"
"Someone. Now give me the money!"
Now I know that's hyperbole but still, why the actual heck should I pay for something I know next to nothing about, and Nintendo and Soccerguy have been seemingly drawing out any and all info on? I'm not even asking to know all six characters, but I think knowing ONE shortly after opening up purchases would be nice.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
See, that's my thing too. An ARMS fighter shouldn't sell the pass. Especially an unnamed one. Feels like we need a big name dropped to advertise and sell this pass.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm pretty sure if Nintendo can announce Banjo and Hero for smash and Breath of the wild two in the same presentation, smash and Pokemon in the same week isn't an issue.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I believe if Nintendo doesn’t have a direct styled event in June they probably just had a harder time to transitioning to a work flow from home after/during this covid pandemic.

However considering it only being June 14th, it’s not like they are terribly far behind schedule in terms of normal E3 dates.

Overall I do personally think that we will get a Nintendo direct eventually.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
For directs I think there was an article that Nintendo won’t be doing any directs or at least not accepting any third party submissions for directs. Understable for the times we are in. However, that doesn’t mean we get these little mini reveals. Heck, Sony did a big thing with their reveals .... I mean, companies can adapt and still make some kind of announcements. The stuff is there, just make a video with a voice over and your done!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
For directs I think there was an article that Nintendo won’t be doing any directs or at least not accepting any third party submissions for directs. Understable for the times we are in. However, that doesn’t mean we get these little mini reveals. Heck, Sony did a big thing with their reveals .... I mean, companies can adapt and still make some kind of announcements. The stuff is there, just make a video with a voice over and your done!
Who knows? Depending on how long ago that was, things do change. I am not saying this will, but Nintendo has not even shadowdropped anything aside from the new Paper Mario game, and given how much news we have not had, they might do something soon for the newer games.

MattX20

Smash Hero
That, and it most likely isn't applicable to Smash DLC if third party characters are involved

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
So I had a question about what music you would like to see in Geno's trailer. In pretty much all of the character reveal trailers, the trailer begins with some 3D animated scene that reveals who the fighter is, followed by their splash screen, and then with gameplay footage showing off some of their moves. Now during gameplay footage, they play a soundtrack, usually a new remix, that will probably come with the character's pass. What song would you all like to hear in Geno's reveal trailer?

If you look at past trailers, the song selected does not have to be the main default song for the stage that comes with the character. For example, Hero's trailer actually came with two songs: the Dragon Quest main theme (I think, I don't know the series that well), which was not included with his pass, and then Adventure. Banjo's trailer did use the Spiral Mountain theme, but Terry's I think used Stormy Saxophone 2.

I feel like most people would probably want Beware of the Forest Mushrooms for Geno's trailer. While I think that would work well, I've always pictured his trailer using Fight Against an Armed Boss. That song would be the song that would make the trailer the most hype feeling for me. I also think any of the other Fight Against songs would be good choices.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I kind of think a combination between both Beware and Armed boss. Some how it weaves into each song or whatever.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
So I had a question about what music you would like to see in Geno's trailer. In pretty much all of the character reveal trailers, the trailer begins with some 3D animated scene that reveals who the fighter is, followed by their splash screen, and then with gameplay footage showing off some of their moves. Now during gameplay footage, they play a soundtrack, usually a new remix, that will probably come with the character's pass. What song would you all like to hear in Geno's reveal trailer?

If you look at past trailers, the song selected does not have to be the main default song for the stage that comes with the character. For example, Hero's trailer actually came with two songs: the Dragon Quest main theme (I think, I don't know the series that well), which was not included with his pass, and then Adventure. Banjo's trailer did use the Spiral Mountain theme, but Terry's I think used Stormy Saxophone 2.

I feel like most people would probably want Beware of the Forest Mushrooms for Geno's trailer. While I think that would work well, I've always pictured his trailer using Fight Against an Armed Boss. That song would be the song that would make the trailer the most hype feeling for me. I also think any of the other Fight Against songs would be good choices.
It absolutely must have an orchestral or electric guitar version of Beware the Forest’s Mushrooms, that is a must in my mind. Fight Against an Armed Boss would be cool too, do a Mega Man trailer thing and switch halfway through

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just had a thought: If Geno comes with music any music tracks that were a combination of two songs, remixed or original, what music tracks would you like to see combined?

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Beware and Goodbye Geno would be interesting to do some kind of remix between the two into one song.

It could be called .... Goodbye Mushrooms.

Last edited:

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
It absolutely must have an orchestral or electric guitar version of Beware the Forest’s Mushrooms, that is a must in my mind. Fight Against an Armed Boss would be cool too, do a Mega Man trailer thing and switch halfway through
I've actually been thinking about how I would want Beware of the Forest's Mushrooms to be remixed and I can't decided between an orchestral remix or an electric rock remix. An electric rock version would be amazing in a trailer, but I feel like I would enjoy fighting to an orchestral remix more. Although it's probably unlikely, it'd be great if we could get both styles.

I just had a thought: If Geno comes with music any music tracks that were a combination of two songs, remixed or original, what music tracks would you like to see combined?
I really like the light-hearted music in SMRPG so probably a mashup of the Mushroom Kingdom theme and the Nimbus Land theme. The best would be if he comes with a medley of most of the SMRPG songs.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Yo guys! Dunno if ya'll already seen this video. Another Geno supporter; the lad joins us in the hopes to see the star messenger in Smash. :shades:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
We've talked about Mii Costumes, music... but what about music for Mii Costumes?

In this scenario, alongside Geno, some SMRPG Mii Costumes come along. A Mallow hat, the Lazy Shell hat (Red Shell hat from Smash 4 with wings on it) and a Smithy costume. During their reveal, SMRPG music would be assumed to play.

1. One song has to encompass all three of these. Which would it be?
2. Each costume gets its own song for it's inclusion. What songs would you select for each?

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I've actually been thinking about how I would want Beware of the Forest's Mushrooms to be remixed and I can't decided between an orchestral remix or an electric rock remix. An electric rock version would be amazing in a trailer, but I feel like I would enjoy fighting to an orchestral remix more. Although it's probably unlikely, it'd be great if we could get both styles.
I am always a supporter of rock covers of old Nintendo music personally.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Tuesday more than likely, although Stealth did hint that there wouldn't be anything this week.

He never implied anything like that, infact...

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm banking on an announcement tomorrow for the reveal on Tuesday. If they don't reveal the Arms character on the 3rd year anniversary of Arms, then I don't know what Nintendo is thinking.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
With the talk about waiting, I just want some explanation of what's coming in the pass Nintendo wants me to pay for. Like I don't even need to get into time but it's like:
"Come buy our DLC fighters for $25"
"Who's the fighter"
"Ohhhhhhhh I dunno"
"You can't even tell me anything?"
"Wellllll we got an ARMS guy"
"Who?"
"Someone. Now give me the money!"
Now I know that's hyperbole but still, why the actual heck should I pay for something I know next to nothing about, and Nintendo and Soccerguy have been seemingly drawing out any and all info on? I'm not even asking to know all six characters, but I think knowing ONE shortly after opening up purchases would be nice.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
Agreed. I’m not buying this pass until I see a couple of characters I’d be cool with using. I bought the pass after Hero and Banjo were revealed. Wasn’t a huge fan of Byleth, but I pretty much paid the price for 4 characters and got five so I didn’t feel ripped off or anything.

At the end of the day a lot of Nintendo fans will buy stuff that have the Nintendo Seal of Approval without batting an eye, and you’ve got people who are going to buy every character for the sake of completion, so I guess they’re willing to take the risk of selling the pass early without any eye-catching characters.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I am still worried. If Nintendo does reveal something Smash related this week, they still have to reveal other games they plan to release this year. I wonder when they will reveal them?

Droodle

Smash Lord
I'm starting to lean towards that we'll end up only getting ARMS as the only DLC reveal this month.

Work From Home ended in Japan late last month, and from what I recall Nintendo really struggled with adapting to those conditions. There were rumors that a Mario direct was going to end up happening back in April but ended up being cancelled, which is why something like Paper Mario was revealed over twitter. There's also a lot of hints indicating that this years E3 would have been phenomenal (Nintendo skimped out on a ton of events like Game Awards and the March mini, they likely wanted to drop a huge bombshell during E3 which is coincidentally when they'd be trying to rival Sony/Microsoft's next gen announcements).

Nintendo has yet to announce anything "big" related to new games during E3. We did end up getting Pokemon DLC trailers and a second Paper Mario trailer, but they aren't huge "brand new" announcements. Since WFM ended, I'm guessing they're back in office (or they may be exercising caution and are WFM until the situation is absolutely under control). If they have returned to office then it's likely that they have started to plan/finish a potential direct, as they need to get out the marketing for upcoming games soon. A direct is a much safer way to market material compared to some twitter announcements.

So really, unless they start announcing huge bombshells next week; I do think they'll end up doing a "mega" direct around late July/early August (which would combine their plans for an E3 and a September direct). I would expect that we'll see some highly anticipated games alongside characters 7 and 8 around this time. I think they'll stick with already announced/smaller games for the entirety of June, the only exceptions I can see being are a potential Pikmin 3 Deluxe port and maybe character 7; but if ARMS doesn't come with 7, I'll think that 7 is being save for a July/August direct.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman

I love Beware the Forest Mushrooms, but unless they remix it, I don't really see it appearing in the trailer. It's a very good song, but I don't think it works as trailer music, especially for a game like Smash. Fight Against an Armed Boss has a bit more energy to it and I think it fits better in that context

I really hope Square though allows them to remix it, or they find a way to fit it in the trailer. It's synonymous with Geno I feel, so I would like to hear it in some capacity if he's revealed

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Happy birthday Enigma! Coincidentally it's also my mother's and her mother's birthday today as well!

I was about to try to catch up to thread but the little bit I did read made it pretty clear I should just not bother lol. Glad to see that at least QQS is as optimistic as ever - I wish I had your enthusiasm buddy. On the bright side, once we get through tomorrow, this month will be half over so we will at worst be halfway to the ARMS announcement this month. I know it's a point of contention for some, but I'm also looking forward to Pokemon dlc even though Crown Tundra is what I'm really looking forward to. It's kinda funny there's so many games on sale for switch right now but I'm not really all that interested in any of them, but maybe I'll give A Hat in Time a chance. At any rate, us Smash fans have a lot to look forward to in just the ARMS presentation alone. Even if I'm holding off on the pass for now, I know that the ARMS character will be really fun and unique and the presentation will surely be a lot of fun to watch even if a part of me will still be biting my nails throughout the entire Mii costume portion.
Sorry for the late response! Thank you! :D

TTF

Smash Journeyman
For my birthday today, I would really love to get the Ultimate birthday gift by getting some announcement today. Please Sakurai!
Hope you had a Happy Birthday today! Here's to hoping we get some Smash info this week!

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
I'm starting to lean towards that we'll end up only getting ARMS as the only DLC reveal this month.

Work From Home ended in Japan late last month, and from what I recall Nintendo really struggled with adapting to those conditions. There were rumors that a Mario direct was going to end up happening back in April but ended up being cancelled, which is why something like Paper Mario was revealed over twitter. There's also a lot of hints indicating that this years E3 would have been phenomenal (Nintendo skimped out on a ton of events like Game Awards and the March mini, they likely wanted to drop a huge bombshell during E3 which is coincidentally when they'd be trying to rival Sony/Microsoft's next gen announcements).

Nintendo has yet to announce anything "big" related to new games during E3. We did end up getting Pokemon DLC trailers and a second Paper Mario trailer, but they aren't huge "brand new" announcements. Since WFM ended, I'm guessing they're back in office (or they may be exercising caution and are WFM until the situation is absolutely under control). If they have returned to office then it's likely that they have started to plan/finish a potential direct, as they need to get out the marketing for upcoming games soon. A direct is a much safer way to market material compared to some twitter announcements.

So really, unless they start announcing huge bombshells next week; I do think they'll end up doing a "mega" direct around late July/early August (which would combine their plans for an E3 and a September direct). I would expect that we'll see some highly anticipated games alongside characters 7 and 8 around this time. I think they'll stick with already announced/smaller games for the entirety of June, the only exceptions I can see being are a potential Pikmin 3 Deluxe port and maybe character 7; but if ARMS doesn't come with 7, I'll think that 7 is being save for a July/August direct.

Yeah that makes sense i'm leaning more towards September though. sounds like all there summer hits are gonna be moving towards the fall in order to have a massive holiday season

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
*Us Nintendo fans waiting for any semblance of news while Xbox and PlayStation fans get presentations and new game announcements
536.jpg

(Yes I know The Origami King was announced.)

(Also happy birthday Enigma735 Enigma735 ! Sorry for the late birthday wishes! Hope you got something you wanted on your special day!)

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Hey, so can I say something that is probably sacrilege amongst a thread full of Geno fans, myself included?

The Forest Maze isn't really that interesting, and I honestly hope it's not our stage when Geno gets in.

Like yes, it's particularly memorable because A. It's where we get properly introduced to Geno and B. Rawust Forest used BTFM as its parody source, so of course we hold it close because of that (though obviously that's not the only reason, it's just worth noting). And the music is as amazing as all of Yoko's many top tier compositions.

But like... Most of it is just running through the same looking room looking for blue out of the corner of your eye while you try and work around what is easily the most obnoxious enemy placement in the entire game. Seriously, can we talk about how annoying that part actually is? It's one of the most generic game tropes, just with tons of enemies in the way.

There's also never really any reason to go back. Like, yeah, that can kinda be said about a lot of Mario RPG areas, that's just how the game is structured so there's nothing wrong with that, but it feels particularly prominent there. Unless you're going for the hidden treasures area, which I honestly don't even think is that worth it, it's really all she wrote.

I dunno, I'm probably just being contradictory for the sake of it, Forest Maze is cool, I just think it isn't as memorable as a lot of the other amazing locations in the game that I think would make for more interesting stage material.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord

He never implied anything like that, infact...
I swear I saw him or some insider say that it wasn't this week. I was greatly mistaken. Regardless, we'll find out soon enough, as I do personally believe tuesday make the most sense, I could've swore I saw someone not too long ago say it wasn't this week... But I guess I am wrong until I can find it.

Anyways, with potentially 48 hours away until our answer, let's hope Springchads wins since that'll mean it's fair game for everyone. I'm sure people have mentioned this before, but waiting this long gives me the feeling that Nintendo knows if they reveal a character like Springman or Minmin, they know the doors will be open to other popular characters that are also spirits/trophies, so if they do reveal those kinds of characters like Geno or Waluigi, this is the time to do it. E3, you gotta convince people to buy the pass. I'm expecting no more and no less than 1 character to be announced at the very end. I feel like the third character will be announced at the end of the year. We'll see what happens. Hoping for the best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom