• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Some crash merchandising was just leaked, let remember 2 things:
-The PS5 stream is tomorrow
-There was some Banjo merchandise before he got in
He is looking possible for Either a Smash DLC or a New gameView attachment 274426
Who's that blue-haired guy in the jacket?
Wait... does that say TAWNA?!
IsThisTawna.png

WHAT THE **** DID THEY DO TO HER?!

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool design but... why not just make this a new character?!

axel_

Smash Journeyman
People said they wanted Shadow as an echo and no one batted an eye but when someone said they wanted the Arms character to have alts, suddenly it was impossible to represent characters as not-carbon-copies.
At least Shadow plays just like Sonic.

TTF

Smash Journeyman
We'll see if anything is shadowdropped tomorrow. As for me, I need to get to sleep, going back to work for the first time in months in the morning.
Have a goodnight and congrats on going back to work proper!
Here's to hoping there's Smash news soon!

link2702

Smash Champion
While we're waiting once again, I figured I'd list here who I want to end up in the season 2.

Keep in mind that literally so long as Geno makes it, I'm not TOO picky on whoever else get's in so long as they originated as game characters...nonetheless, this is the list in my mind that I'd be most happy to get..

aside from the first 2, this list is just in random order.

6.arms rep
7. Geno
8. Shantae
9. Isaac
10. Waluigi
11. ....anyone really, at this point I'm not picky at all on who we'd get. If I'm gonna throw a random out there...Doomguy? or Maybe dragonborn? Doomguy would be funnier if sakurai/nintendo added an Isabelle meme to it, dragonborn Kinda feels more deserving as a Bethesda rep IMO. But yeah, at this point I literally could care less who the character is.

Again those characters are just the ones who I'd be more thrilled with in season 2 after Geno. But again/when Geno is revealed.....I really don't care that much. As long as they originated as Game characters(so NO GOKU POPEYE(sorry fatman) IRON MAN OR SHREK!) I really don't care. Sakurai can go as obscure, or crazy as he wants then.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
They could just be ALTs but they're not is exactly the point. If they made characters like Dark Samus and Ken into echoes based on their unique attributes, why would they make a composite character that's basically several echoes in one? If they simply wanted to do that, they already have had 7 opportunities to do that already but passed it up. Marth and Lucina could have been one character but weren't. Pit and Dark Pit could have been one character but weren't. Sure, you could mash Springman and Ribbongirl into one character but there's no precedent for it and they already passed up the opportunity to do something akin to this many times before. The Koopalings aren't unique from Bowser Jr aside from facial expressions and sound clips. Same with the Heros.
But there is precedent with the animations on Byleth and others mentioned in here. But for some reason those "don't count" because they're not relevant to combat. Once again, we have to insert a caveat for this theory to work, and the prime evidence is something as trivial as select screen animation tempo. LIke, why is that a problem while the two Byleths canoncially being different heights isn't when that can absolutely affect things like hurtboxes? We've seen multiple times that Sakurai isn't THAT pedantic.

link2702

Smash Champion
Also, the more I think about it, the More I'm convinced the arms rep is springman.

And they wont even have to "disable" the springman AT.

While he's being played, the springman AT is turned into the robo springman AT.

in fact perhaps THAT'S why nintendo has taken so long with this, they literally had to port over the model for the robot springman, make it work right, make sure it appears only when springman is being played as a character, etc., all on top of actually balancing and tweaking the actual character.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
I’d like this pass to be a bit more diverse since Pass 1 had 4 white males. So my vote/hope is for Min Min or Twintelle.

I also hope this pass further opts to exclude white male swordsmen and instead includes a certain reanimated doll...
Uh, Joker's definitely Japanese, and the Hero foursome and Byleth, despite being from fictional worlds, are very clearly designed to be Japanese as well. So you've got... one white male in Terry, one officially Asian male with Joker, a bear and bird, and two ethnically ambiguous characters designed by Japanese companies that most likely designed them to be Japanese. I want diversity more than anyone here most likely, but let's not blow up the numbers to suit the argument, aye?

I don't believe that the Arms rep is solely Spring Man. They wouldn'tve bothered hiding the Arms rep's identity if it was someone as simple as the guy on the box.

And Geno's gotta be 7. The timing's just too perfect for it not to be at this point.

So Arms > Geno > Crash > Lloyd/Heihachi > Travis Touchdown > Master Chief. That's my final prediction. Until next week, probably.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Also, the more I think about it, the More I'm convinced the arms rep is springman.

And they wont even have to "disable" the springman AT.

While he's being played, the springman AT is turned into the robo springman AT.

in fact perhaps THAT'S why nintendo has taken so long with this, they literally had to port over the model for the robot springman, make it work right, make sure it appears only when springman is being played as a character, etc., all on top of actually balancing and tweaking the actual character.
That probably wouldn’t add much development time at all. I think it’s mentioned that the knuckles assist is turned off on green hill zone so the code to turn certain assists off is somewhere in the game. It’s just a matter of tweaking it to check for what character was picked instead of the stage.
It also seems like robot springman is a one for one to springman like Daisy is to Peach so they probably just share a lot of their animation data.

If an assist is being upgraded, it should probably have lower development time like an echo character. Not to the same extent, but it seems like some of the assist trophies have a lot of 3D animation work already done to them so it’s not like the team would have to start from scratch.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'd like to point out that the majority of people arguing that the ARMS character should be 4 characters crammed into one are people who have publicly stated how boring the game/reveal is and complained that it's a shill for a dead game, while the crowd arguing for just one character done right are mostly ARMS fans. Obviously as with anything there are exceptions, but I think the best case scenario is to give the people who actually wanted the character what they want instead of playcating the people who don't want it with something they consider "less boring".

_Fun.Tendo_

Smash Cadet
Hi.

Tried to post this fake leak on 4chan that said at the end of the ARMS presentation De Blob from his nameshake series by THQ would be Challenger Pack 7 in a reveal trailer featuring Mario and Inklings, didn't allow me to despite me having never posted anything on the site.

Also yeah, I'm back just in time, I guess? Just wanted to share that piece of info I made up on the spot.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
So Arms > Geno > Crash > Lloyd/Heihachi > Travis Touchdown > Master Chief. That's my final prediction. Until next week, probably.
Thank you for saying Travis. You have my respect.

I'd like to point out that the majority of people arguing that the ARMS character should be 4 characters crammed into one are people who have publicly stated how boring the game/reveal is and complained that it's a shill for a dead game, while the crowd arguing for just one character done right are mostly ARMS fans. Obviously as with anything there are exceptions, but I think the best case scenario is to give the people who actually wanted the character what they want instead of playcating the people who don't want it with something they consider "less boring".
I was gonna point this out, that they seem to vouch for fans that this is a good decision even though most actual ARMS fans have gone against it.

That probably wouldn’t add much development time at all. I think it’s mentioned that the knuckles assist is turned off on green hill zone so the code to turn certain assists off is somewhere in the game. It’s just a matter of tweaking it to check for what character was picked instead of the stage.
It also seems like robot springman is a one for one to springman like Daisy is to Peach so they probably just share a lot of their animation data.

If an assist is being upgraded, it should probably have lower development time like an echo character. Not to the same extent, but it seems like some of the assist trophies have a lot of 3D animation work already done to them so it’s not like the team would have to start from scratch.
There probably would have to be a lot of development time regardless, actually. The rig of the AT would have to be heavily tweaked for the Fighter's new model (the existing one is too low quality in poly count and lacks proper bodygroups), and there's a whole slew of additional animations, programming, voice lines, texture and VFX, etc.

It's like Mewtwo. They couldn't just rip his work from Melee, the animation style and Mewtwo's proportions back then were entirely different from Smash 4. They had reference, but actual work had to be done from scratch.

Last edited:

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
I honestly perceive this point as flawed, the ARMS community is totally fine with alts, but Smash fans that are also ARMS fans are the ones that don't like the idea IF their character has a legit chance (Min min fans, Springman fans, Max Brass fans, Ribbon Girl fans, Dr. Coyle fans, etc.) because the fans of least likely characters don`t even care about accuracy, if i say i want Mechanica nobody will take me seriously anyway.

Also there is no way Nintendo teased Springman, they don't care enough to make a big deal about a promotion.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
You are right, I don't really like the game but I do like the world and characters themselves. The biggest factor for me is having Springman as part of the challenger pack so that both the Assist and Spirit rules are no longer valid. Getting someone like just Min Min or Ninjara would still be cool but Springman is an ideal victory for me personally.

I also think Min Min is overrated and Springman is better. Pls don't kill me.

QQS

Smash Lord
E3 2019 we had 3/5 of the FP1 revealed: Joker, Hero & Banjo.

“E3 2020” we will have at least 2/6 of the FP2 revealed: ARMS + 77. That’s what I’m rooting for. But I can see totally happening also a third reveal there, +78, to make history and even in that case, you would have only 3/6 of the Pass revealed. But maybe not cause it’s destined to end at December 2021? (If I’m not wrong).

Anyway, with just ARMS reveal + 77 which I think 100% is Geno, we are done. Also they can follow the sequence of Hero/Geno + Banjo/Crash. Second slot for Square and Third slot for World Western Mascot.

So Geno is the perfect second reveal of the FP2 for 4 reasons:

-He would be the #7 DLC, our 7th star
-He would follow Square second place in FP slots
-He is the second member to join the party in SMRPG, also the second member to join us here.
-He will bring more material to commemorate Super Mario 35° with SMRPG added to NSO.

He is just the perfect last addition that we need. Give us Geno to fulfill the Fan Demand + Crash to fulfill the World Mascots. If after that you wanna add Sora, Rayman and other well deserved ones, welcome.

GENO COMES TO LIFE!

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Once again, I dislike the idea of the ARMS characters being a Hero/Koopalings situation since it goes against their individuality. Why would they do that when Daisy and Dark Samus are separate characters? It works for Hero because the Heroes generally have the same abilities and it works for the Koopalings because the Jr. Clown Car is 90% of the moveset so them having different models/designs/abilities isn't as jarring.

cool6012

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cool6012
3DS FC
5455-9651-7560
Once again, I dislike the idea of the ARMS characters being a Hero/Koopalings situation since it goes against their individuality. it works for the Koopalings because the Jr. Clown Car is 90% of the moveset so them having different models/designs/abilities isn't as jarring.
And it would work for ARMS because 90% of the moveset would the arms. The Koopalings all have wildly different personalities, fighting styles, etc, yet them and Jr. were all butchered into one character so I can see it happening for ARMS, even if I wouldn't like it.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
And it would work for ARMS because 90% of the moveset would the arms. The Koopalings all have wildly different personalities, fighting styles, etc, yet them and Jr. were all butchered into one character so I can see it happening for ARMS, even if I wouldn't like it.
Your forgetting their individuality extends beyond what the Koopalings have compared to each other. Sure the Koopalings have some unique attacks like Roy and Morton creating earthquakes or Lemmy balancing on a ball, but they're also very associated with Bowser's army and tech, so them using Jr. Clown Cars like Bowser Jr. isn't out of character for them. There's also the fact that there's seven of them and to represent them properly you'd need to have all seven. No way in hell they're all getting their own slots so alts for Bowser Jr. is the only feasible way to do it.

ARMS is a different beast since the characters in question aren't bosses, but characters you control. Every character has their own personal flair, set of abilities, set of ARMS, animations, etc. You would either be sacrificing a lot of their individuality to make a uniform moveset and animations for everyone, or make characters use other characters' abilities (Spring Man using Ninjara's smoke dodge ability if they're lumped together for example) and would the team be willing to take liberties like that, especially with how much love and care was put into properly representing the DLC characters so far? I don't think so.

QQS

Smash Lord
96F20627-4FBC-4B50-B5A0-C3A7A6BF4AF6.jpeg

So what on these all ideas will be our reveal? OMG I swear it’s happening...

Just prepare to feel the “Jiggy moment”. That’s the moment I call on a reveal when there are no doubts left on what character is about to be revealed. For example, the “Jiggy moment” on Banjo was the Jiggy on the floor. On Mega Man (My Boy also), when he appeared from far away you could guess it was him, but when his helmet turned on, that was the moment.

Back on Geno, the Jiggy moment would be when Mario RPG music start to play, Mario lost in a wood, the Mario RPG guys reunited against some puppet fighters or maybe the intro-toys of Smash 64.

I can see happening Mario VS Ganondorf possessed. Then King DDD aids Ganondorf. Then Bowser and Peach join forces to aid Mario. Then all the puppet fighters join the enemy and make Mario, Bowser and Peach to be tired on the floor, agonizing. Finally, a blast from the sky (or from the woods) appears to help the old friends and yes, the JoinsTheParty screen + gameplay with a Remixed Forest Maze.

Best wishes and stay with faith!

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice papagenos papagenos TerminalMontage TerminalMontage greetings to the Triforce of Geno! All your dedication will be materialized with Geno playable soon. Just imagine a 30 min video of Sakurai explaining SMRPG history and making Sakurai-jokes about Geno being number seven.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But there is precedent with the animations on Byleth and others mentioned in here. But for some reason those "don't count" because they're not relevant to combat. Once again, we have to insert a caveat for this theory to work, and the prime evidence is something as trivial as select screen animation tempo. LIke, why is that a problem while the two Byleths canoncially being different heights isn't when that can absolutely affect things like hurtboxes? We've seen multiple times that Sakurai isn't THAT pedantic.
I brought up the movement tempo because it's part of the characters' designs on a very basic level. "Oh, it would be fine if they just put all the ARMS characters into one." What I'm pointing out is how much effort they put into making each of the characters unique, even down to "pedantic" details like movement tempo. Sakurai even went deeply into his philosophy on this at GDC 2008 and it's definitely worth a read:

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/07/11/gdc-2008-translation/

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Once again, I dislike the idea of the ARMS characters being a Hero/Koopalings situation since it goes against their individuality. Why would they do that when Daisy and Dark Samus are separate characters? It works for Hero because the Heroes generally have the same abilities and it works for the Koopalings because the Jr. Clown Car is 90% of the moveset so them having different models/designs/abilities isn't as jarring.
Dark Samus and Daisy were added over 10 years well after their base character's debut. Neither were a straight-out costume at any point either. They aren't an alt situation ignored. They were never real alts to begin with. Only Dark Pit was a straight-out alt to begin with, and then separated at some point(after he properly existed).

The situation here is closer to Castlevania, but we aren't getting any bonus characters, so Echoes won't happen. They are a Ness situation in how they work, combining abilities to make one character. That's already going to happen with ARMS, cause the ARMS are what matters as the core representation in Smash. The character abilities aren't all that unique in every case. Anybody can easily kick, do a comeback mechanic, jump multiple times, or use the Dragon ARM. Not everybody can teleport or float either, or use someone as a springboard. However, many moves can be inspired by others. Spring Man can use his hands to give himself a boost as a reference to Barq & Byte's springboard ability. Not all moves are created equal overall. In Smash, you have well over 20 moves. No individual has 20 moves in ARMS itself. There's less due to how the controls work. Small tidbits/references to others is already inevitable. This doesn't mean using the same animations either, as that's where the real individuality lies. Which makes sense why an alt situation is not likely. That doesn't mean a frankenstein moveset is unlikely however. It's already going to happen due to the ARMS being the most important thing for whoever is chosen, but a lot of the abilities are actually generic anyway for others to reference.

Alts =/= using the abilities of others without using the exact animations(these are very different arguments and why people still expect outright an ARMS character will use some moves of another one regardless of whether they also have a direct alt or not). While Ness' lack of animations were brought up, this isn't a very good point in itself either. PK Thunder is designed where it doesn't target a particular character and can hit different enemies without a particular pattern to it. In Smash, this is how it works, not being in a straight line and goes all over the place. PK Fire can hit some enemies far more damage than others. This is represented in Smash by it staying on the field for a while by doing lingering damage, to capitalize on a burning-like effect. You can retool moves to easily fit the settings regardless of animations. While Lucario is clearly based upon his anime abilities and fighting style, it doesn't use the exact same animations all the time, taking liberties. This is to be expected to make it work. As I noted before, Spring Man can easily kick. He won't kick identically to Min Min because they have different overall animations, but it'd still work practically in the same way anyway, since it's an easy to do move. If you want a good example of this, look at Isabelle, someone who doesn't actually have a canonical ability to do a lot of stuff Villager does. Pocket and the Party Popper she shares properly with Villager. She's never once used a Tool, but she has handed certain tools like Party Poppers and Glow Wands(they fall under Tool gameplay within the series) and is easy to believe she can use generic items like that. Other animal villagers literally use that kind of thing. That's what people mean by generic gameplay being interchangeable enough to make for an easy Ness situation.

...Let's just say it's not really easy to explain every detail, but a Ness situation beyond the ARMS is very likely due to certain moves being generic enough to work. Ness had more canonical abilities than any particular cast member of ARMS too, but a lot of those moves weren't plausible within Smash either, nor make for a coherent moveset. The importance is coherency in making it work, not how accurate it is. That's why Ganondorf never fully used anything but his non-canon broadsword as a proper part of his individual moveset(the custom specials and taunt work without disrupting his moveset flow for TP Ganondorf, but they don't work for OOT Ganondorf because his moveset is brute force. A sword designed more around fencing doesn't flow well). It's why Pikachu only resembles its anime appearance while not working similar to the games much at all. Skull Bash is a great example of having a very clear animation being ignored so it makes more sense in Smash. There's no rearing the head back. It's just sitting still in a stance and then flying off. The anime also did it differently from Smash and the games. This is the kind of animation liberties being talked about, and happens with most of the cast as is. Or abilities that aren't accurate(Monado Arts loosely resembles Xenoblade Chronicles' system but makes sense for a Smash moveset). Etc.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
We're going to get at least one echo alongside whoever the main ARMs character is, whether that's Spring Man/Ribbon Girl, Spring Man/Min Min, Ribbon Girl/Min Min (or vice-versa for any of them), with possibly up to 3 to allow Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min and Ninjara to all show up. That's been my prediction for awhile and of all the series that you could do this to, ARMs makes the most sense among the first parties since the base gameplay and moveset is more or less the same, but it's the animations and the gimmicks that change things. I know this is the Geno thread so I won't go at length, but something like Min Min's kicks you absolutely could translate to other characters to flesh out a Smash moveset. Things like RIbbon Girls' extra jump, however, are not easily transferable as they are directly involved in making that character stand out from the rest. And in that case, if say Spring Man was the main and Ribbon Girl the echo, Spring Man would have his rage mechanic and Ribbon Girl's would have the extra jump and maybe be a bit lighter. Otherwise, everything else can say the same, but there are differences between the characters and translating them onto a single character as alts, while absolutely possible, takes away the things that make them unique unless you combine them altogether, which still has the effect of not making them unique in that sense.

Anyways, Geno for Smash!
Why would we get an echo though? If this is the same company that makes us pay for things as small as Mii Costumes you can get your bottom dollar that the same will happen with echoes and as the challenger packs represent all DLC content a new series gets the echo will need to be bundled in that but the pass is just the same price as the previous one with an extra character tacked on. They aren't going to sell them separately as, like I said that would be like selling the stages or music separately, they are made to represent the whole series in one fell swoop. Honestly echoes at this point are probably safe to say not happening.

It also goes against the entire premise of clones in that they are meant to be added as a nice little freebie later in development when they have just enough time to add another character. Fighter pack schedules are probably done for about a year in advance while base game went for about 3 years in development so in comparison you can tell these fighter packs don't have the same amount of flexibility as base game does. We pretty much are either getting alts or one new character. We shouldn't look too far beyond want we have been bargained for.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why would we get an echo though? If this is the same company that makes us pay for things as small as Mii Costumes you can get your bottom dollar that the same will happen with echoes and as the challenger packs represent all DLC content a new series gets the echo will need to be bundled in that but the pass is just the same price as the previous one with an extra character tacked on. They aren't going to sell them separately as, like I said that would be like selling the stages or music separately, they are made to represent the whole series in one fell swoop. Honestly echoes at this point are probably safe to say not happening.

It also goes against the entire premise of clones in that they are meant to be added as a nice little freebie later in development when they have just enough time to add another character. Fighter pack schedules are probably done for about a year in advance while base game went for about 3 years in development so in comparison you can tell these fighter packs don't have the same amount of flexibility as base game does. We pretty much are either getting alts or one new character. We shouldn't look too far beyond want we have been bargained for.
All the clones in Ultimate were decided from the start. So that's not actually true. In previous games, yes, but everybody was an early thing figured out, except PP since we don't really know if it was ever base(a lot of the evidence is a stretch, and it's exact data order even for the amiibo is listed directly after all the base game roster). Incineroar wasn't directly decided upon, but a slot for Pokemon Gen 7 was however left open, and the fire cat was cited as USUM, not SM, too. Which is kind of awkward, but is what it is.

You're right about Echoes. They will not be free whatsoever even they had a chance to be in the pass. It'd be identical to PP as a bonus character or a full challenger pack. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
All the clones in Ultimate were decided from the start. So that's not actually true. In previous games, yes, but everybody was an early thing figured out, except PP since we don't really know if it was ever base(a lot of the evidence is a stretch, and it's exact data order even for the amiibo is listed directly after all the base game roster). Incineroar wasn't directly decided upon, but a slot for Pokemon Gen 7 was however left open, and the fire cat was cited as USUM, not SM, too. Which is kind of awkward, but is what it is.

You're right about Echoes. They will not be free whatsoever even they had a chance to be in the pass. It'd be identical to PP as a bonus character or a full challenger pack. No ifs, ands, or buts.
Well I assumed it was. I guess it was probably to beef up its roster from the start. Either way my point still stands gladly. We are 99% not getting echoes and add a time of other 9s to the end of that for bonuses. They will probably not consider DLC beyond this pass until at least the 3rd or 4th challenger pack but Sakurai seems pretty adamant that Ultimate will be done after this. He seems really content with the game as he should. I guess main point still stands too which is ARMS is pretty much alts or a character. I don't like the former but it can't be denied

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well I assumed it was. I guess it was probably to beef up its roster from the start. Either way my point still stands gladly. We are 99% not getting echoes and add a time of other 9s to the end of that for bonuses. They will probably not consider DLC beyond this pass until at least the 3rd or 4th challenger pack but Sakurai seems pretty adamant that Ultimate will be done after this. He seems really content with the game as he should. I guess main point still stands too which is ARMS is pretty much alts or a character. I don't like the former but it can't be denied
Well, most of the Echoes were fan requests to begin with, so it makes sense. We don't know if the Echoes and semi-clones were worked on early or later, but it's obvious that all Echoes/Semi-clones were not done before their counterpart. We have zero information on actual development times for most characters; Incineroar was clearly done later due to being chosen directly later. PP was the last character worked on.

I don't think they're going to do any bonus characters either. He already made it super clear this is the finale. It wasn't just "no plans", but talked about it being the end of development. I give a slight leeway that he could make a Ribbon Girl echo in 2 months, but I highly doubt it either way. That's with the timing in mind, and I still don't give much credit to the idea. Just keeping an open mind on it. I agree entirely it's alts or a single character too.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Truth is, Sakurai can and will do whatever the hell he wants with regards to adding a new ARMS character(s) so I don’t see a point in continuing to argue about this going into another day. The man ****s on precedent and has similar characters as semi-clones, echoes, and alt costumes, usually whatever he feels like at the time.

Please show us this damn character today.

Last edited:

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Private videos on Available Now! playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2JiZAV5BmDWuBM9nLyEwkdUB5xCSYCJp

And one of them is on New this Week playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2JiZAV5BmDXjI4ZM75o9735edXmVLpd8

And both of them are on Nothing But Nintendo Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2JiZAV5BmDUpBayfo8lcxCXkvTzerwuY

Remember to take this, as a grin of salt, but something to keep an eye on.
They were uploaded yesterday apparently, also one of the links (of one of the privated videos) matches up with all 3 playlists, (not sure if that means anything). These were likely E3 reveals. I hope we get new news soon!

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
They were uploaded yesterday apparently, also one of the links (of one of the privated videos) matches up with all 3 playlists, (not sure if that means anything). These were likely E3 reveals. I hope we get new news soon!
Gee, I wonder what was supposed to show up at E3 that was previously stated to be a June reveal and is tbh the only concrete thing we know exists and would be coming this month?

hmm, what could it be

More seriously, if they uploaded a whole new video this week to a "Available Now" and "New This Week" playlist, it could be for anything, but I choose to believe it's for Smash since that's really all we know for sure is coming (unless it's surprise Pikmin 3 DX). It could in theory be shadowdropped with little-to-no warning anytime today if Nintendo so chose, though unless 6 is released today with the presentation, having it be "available now" wouldn't make much sense. But it's all speculation and theorycraft until confirmed or debunked.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Truth is, Sakurai can and will do whatever the hell he wants with regards to adding a new ARMS character(s) so I don’t see a point in continuing to argue about this going into another day. The man ****s on precedent and has similar characters as semi-clones, echoes, and alt costumes, usually whatever he feels like at the time.

Please show us this damn character today.
You just might get your wish? Somebody posted a heavily unsubstantiated rumour on Discord that the presentation is tonight at 8pm EST.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People pointed out the Crash merch dump and said it was all but guaranteed for the new game but it could also extend to Smash too. Activision did tease multiple Crash announcements coming and, in the grand scheme of Smash history, third party characters usually are preceded by a major announcement or them hamboning an upcoming major release either before or after. Snake had MGS4, Ryu had Street Fighter V, Joker had Persona 5 R, Cloud had the FF VII Remake, Banjo had a merch dump, Hero obviously had DQ XI S, Sonic had Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, Megaman was part of the build up to the 25th anniversary announcements at Comic Con, and even Pac-Man had the Pac-Man Museum and the Ghostly Adventures 2. That said, most of the third party additions came with other news either shortly before or after their announcement with most being before.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
People pointed out the Crash merch dump and said it was all but guaranteed for the new game but it could also extend to Smash too. Activision did tease multiple Crash announcements coming and, in the grand scheme of Smash history, third party characters usually are preceded by a major announcement or them hamboning an upcoming major release either before or after. Snake had MGS4, Ryu had Street Fighter V, Joker had Persona 5 R, Cloud had the FF VII Remake, Banjo had a merch dump, Hero obviously had DQ XI S, Sonic had Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, Megaman was part of the build up to the 25th anniversary announcements at Comic Con, and even Pac-Man had the Pac-Man Museum and the Ghostly Adventures 2. That said, most of the third party additions came with other news either shortly before or after their announcement with most being before.
I swear if the Crash merch is mostly for the upcoming mobile game, then Activision will not be surprising in the slightest.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I swear if the Crash merch is mostly for the upcoming mobile game, then Activision will not be surprising in the slightest.
Mobile gaming is huge these days, so it makes sense why there's so much. But Crash could be getting a new game too. There's also his series being active and making it easier to sell multiple games for a long time is well worth it.

It's not hard to sell the merchandise for a gaming icon either. It's well worth capitalizing off of merchandise, even if you don't have a lot of new games. It should sell pretty easily, after all.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Pretty sure the crash stuff is for that rumored new game, the one where both crash and coco are playablr. Coco is on the merch after all.

I do hope though Coco is an alt of crash...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That's what I'm saying though. Yes, Crash is getting a new game but, in the context of Smash history, that's been the case for almost every single third party addition. Their announcement in Smash is typically proceeded by a different major announcement or significant merch dump. Megaman, Pac-Man, and Banjo (all coincidentally E3 announcements) all had notable merch dumps before their Smash additions. To extend this further, Metal Gear Solid 4 was heavily highlighted at E3 2006 and Street Fighter V at E3 2015. That's why I'm taking a big slorp of coffee and looking at you all to say "that merch leak may very well be a precursor to a Smash announcement", especially in the light that it hogties both categories of 14 years of E3 dog whistles: a merch dump and highlighting a upcoming new game.

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
That's what I'm saying though. Yes, Crash is getting a new game but, in the context of Smash history, that's been the case for almost every single third party addition. Their announcement in Smash is typically proceeded by a different major announcement or significant merch dump. Megaman, Pac-Man, and Banjo (all coincidentally E3 announcements) all had notable merch dumps before their Smash additions. To extend this further, Metal Gear Solid 4 was heavily highlighted at E3 2006 and Street Fighter V at E3 2015. That's why I'm taking a big slorp of coffee and looking at you all to say "that merch leak may very well be a precursor to a Smash announcement", especially in the light that it hogties both categories of 14 years of E3 dog whistles: a merch dump and highlighting a upcoming new game.
well, then I guess with that, we can expect a smash direct after Sony’s Presentation (not immediately after....) Nintendo’s been waiting till after it gets announced (until there is something else that delays the damn announcement)

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So...if Crash is indeed revealed to be fighter 7, would that kind of help the claims of whoever it was to say that Crash was 6? You know, since NO ONE hears about Nintendo characters. Going off of the 'since I heard Crash is happening, he must be next' mentality.

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's possible Crash was meant to #8 too, we can't discount that possibility still. Until we see FP7 revealed, we can't rule out that possibility.

Firox

Smash Master
I don't think Ninjara fans are gonna be starting Discord raids just because their character didn't get in. It certainly didn't happen with Kyo fans when he got shafted really hard during Terry's reveal.
ARMS fans are gonna be happy with whoever we get, regardless. People would want to see their favorite fighters get the most love possible. If you try and put all these distinct characters in a soulless husk, then a big aspect of what people liked about them is lost.

"When we try to please everyone. We end up pleasing no one… least of all ourselves."
Whoever said that anyone would be raiding discords? I'm sure, like you said, that fans will generally be content with whatever they get. I'm just offering some reasoning as to what Sakurai may decide to do. It's important to note that even if Sakurai decides to cram multiple characters into one, stating that they'll end up a "soulless husk" is just a pessimistic assumption. As I said before, you don't know how much extra effort he could put in. He could add a TON of personalized animations and victory poses to bring out more of their "soul" and individuality. Let's just see how things play out before we condemn the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom