• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Byleth could be announced while a new spirit event was going on, I've a hard time believing we couldn't see the presentation for FP6 (and presumably FP7) while a tournament is going on

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
If Byleth could be announced while a new spirit event was going on, I've a hard time believing we couldn't see the presentation for FP6 (and presumably FP7) while a tournament is going on
And Geno isn't even a 200X character, so he's safe!

:V

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo and various developers have commenced a massive Summer eShop sale in North America, which offers up to 50% discounts on just over 1,300 titles in total! These fancy discounts will be up until 16 June 2020, so be sure to check for games that you’ve been sitting on!
That feels like the deadline for our next Smash reveal for me. When that time comes in they can potentially boost Smash Ultimate's numbers a little more.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Have there been massive sales prior to corresponding E3 presentations in past years? Coincidentally the last day of all those sales falls on June 16th, which is also the ARMS anniversary (a Tuesday).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Have there been massive sales prior to corresponding E3 presentations in past years? Coincidentally the last day of all those sales falls on June 16th, which is also the ARMS anniversary (a Tuesday).
Sales typically run the week of E3 and tend to heavily tie into games announcements and the companies that wind up being most heavily featured in the E3 Direct. Quick skimming the list, the games that are predominantly getting sales are the ones from companies that Amazon France placed Switch placeholders for a few weeks ago so this likely still rings true.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Ironically, ARMS itself is not on sale. You'd think they'd want to capitalize on that this month.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ironically, ARMS itself is not on sale. You'd think they'd want to capitalize on that this month.
Splatoon 2 is missing too despite getting a big ass tournament this summer and a huge Amiibo dump in the fall. Chances are the sale is going on when it was originally planned because all those companies had to agree to those sales and, coincidentally, today would have been the Nintendo E3 Direct if the world wasn't a ****in' dumpster fire. This all said, these are actually probably decent clues of potential things to expect when the Direct finally happens two decades from now.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hmmm, it seems like maybe we need to wait for next week eh?
Probably.

Anyway, you wanna know what I'll say about haters when Geno is revealed? It's this...

Hoes Mad Do not cry for them. DO NOT CRY!

As for the haters, I can imagine them saying this when Geno is revealed.

You fools! YOU'VE MESSED WITH THE NATURAL ORDER!!!!!

Just saying.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Splatoon 2 is missing too despite getting a big ass tournament this summer and a huge Amiibo dump in the fall.
What? First party Nintendo games going on sale?! Perish the thought! That's like stealing food right from Miyamoto's starving face! The man only has... *googles* ... huh, only $40M? That's way lower than I expected, I can't keep doing this joke now.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Remember, EVERYONE, don't forget to record your reactions to the character reveal(s)! In case Geno is revealed as the 7th fighter, it'll be a once in a lifetime reaction! Whether it's audio or video, either works! Sharing your reactions is up to you.

And, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , Ovaltine Ovaltine , papagenos papagenos , and TerminalMontage TerminalMontage , I also want to see or hear your reactions if Geno is revealed!

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Especially after Nintendo's hype reveal for ARMS in the mini Direct back in March.

Nintendo: 'And that's all we have to show today. Hope you all enjoyed this Direct! ....Huh?.........oh, and an ARMs rep is the first character of the Smash fighter pass or some ****. Its that character everyone loves, Carl Armsalot or whatever. Psst, what the hell is ARMS?'

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Remember, EVERYONE, don't forget to record your reactions to the character reveal(s)! In case Geno is revealed as the 7th fighter, it'll be a once in a lifetime reaction! Whether it's audio or video, either works! Sharing your reactions is up to you.

And, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , Ovaltine Ovaltine , papagenos papagenos , and TerminalMontage TerminalMontage , I also want to see or hear your reactions if Geno is revealed!
I don't really have any equipment so maybe I could do an awkward cell phone video where it looks like I have a quintuple chin and you're all appalled by my modern Mark Twain accent.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

I've been recording my reactions to Directs and Smash stuff since August 8th, 2018. You KNOW I'll be getting mine!
GenoDab.png

I don't really have any equipment so maybe I could do an awkward cell phone video where it looks like I have a quintuple chin and you're all appalled by my modern Mark Twain accent.
Sounds good! :ultpacman:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
I'll definitely try to record my reaction. Provided the Direct isn't super early in the morning.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Y'know thinking about it, I don't think my reaction will be nearly as amazing as Banjo's. Banjo I really wasn't expecting or following. He seemed like a total pipe dream. Geno on the other hand, I've been following and there's SO much stuff going for him to where I'll be like "****in' knew it!" instead of straight up screaming like I did at the surprise of Banjo (despite the leaks).

This is why I never go full optimism, except this one time (and the very disappointing Paper Mario reveal). Remember kids (and adults): Optimism just destroys the impact of the thing you're optimistic for and can even lead into straight up denial, depression, or even mental breakdowns if your optimism was for naught (see me the day of the Paper Mario: tOK reveal).

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
*The Geno thread eating their celebration meals right as Geno is revealed
IMG_20200605_145643.jpg

(Your guys' food and drink talk from before made this post seem appropriate. ...also imagine this dude with a Geno hat or Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's face on the dude. I'm not MisterMike MisterMike , I can't edit for ***t.)

*Also, this says "...didn't expect" but us big-brained Geno folk know his time cometh soon. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Decided to compare the sale to the Amazon France leak a few weeks ago:

https://mobile.twitter.com/nintendalerts/status/1265882238668988418

3 Ubisoft
3 Square
4 Nintendo
3 Take 2
2 Warner Bros
3 Bethesda
1 Capcom

Here's the E3 sale that came up today:

https://www.nintendo.com/deals/

Sure enough, it lines up. The only major difference is that the sale has a good number of Blizzard/Activision games on sale too. That said, not only does this provide strong evidence that the Amazon France leak was true but that these probably are the companies that will be most prominent in Nintendo's next info dump.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The sale seems too big to actually gain anything quantifiable from it. Like yea, there's some stuff you can take from it (Travis Strikes Again is on sale, gee I wonder why that would be. All the Bethesda stuff is on sale, if only there was some Switch port they delayed and still haven't given a date for they could have announced with it, the only Square Enix games on sale are the two Dragon Quest games that were published by Nintendo in the west, if ONLY there was some Dragon Quest game that launched with the Switch only in Japan that got listed on several sites like half a year ago) but overall there's just so much (1300 games, way more stuff than they've highlighted) it becomes hard to tell what was meant to commemorate an announcement and what was meant to just be an E3 season sale for the hell of it.

Also
Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars (USA)-200609-170659.png
After around 18 hours over 5-6 days, I finally sat down and beat the game this thread is actually supposed to be about. And I really want to talk about it, A LOT. Like, this is probably going to take me several hours to write my opinions on. I'll likely end up uploading my thoughts tommorrow morning (I'll be sure to spoiler most of it so I don't just have a giant post of WORDSWORDSWORDS mucking up the thread) but incase you want the TL:DR version now...
7/7 BAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEEE AH THIS GAME IS SO GOOD JUST GO PLAY IT ALREADY WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING IF YOU HAVEN'T?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
he only major difference is that the sale has a good number of Blizzard/Activision games on sale too.
As someone who has been playing Blizzard games since WarCraft III's expansion came out, their games go on sale all the freaking time, especially if it's been out for at least like 6 months (which is currently Blizzard's entire library at the moment). I don't follow their sister company (Activision) so I can't speak for them, but yeah, WoW goes on sale at least yearly (usually Winter/Holiday season), the other games do randomly, or just have price drops (such as D3 which is now a pitiful $20 when it was $60 at launch). Granted, OW is now $20 permanently ($15 during this sale) on PC, and that's been their newest game for awhile (sans WC3 Reforged).

TL;DR: Don't read at all into Blizzard games being on sale. It means nothing.

Also

After around 18 hours over 5-6 days, I finally sat down and beat the game this thread is actually supposed to be about. And I really want to talk about it, A LOT. Like, this is probably going to take me several hours to write my opinions on. I'll likely end up uploading my thoughts tommorrow morning (I'll be sure to spoiler most of it so I don't just have a giant post of WORDSWORDSWORDS mucking up the thread) but incase you want the TL:DR version now...
Bruh, ****ing grats man. I bet you probably sat on that The End screen awhile as the SMB1 theme played in the background.

7/7 BAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEEE AH THIS GAME IS SO GOOD JUST GO PLAY IT ALREADY WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING IF YOU HAVEN'T?
Right? Why do you think we want Geno in Smash? TBH for me, it's not even about having him in Smash, as crazy as that is. It's having Nintendo be fully aware that the game exists, that people love it, and they need to keep bringing it back, potentially even having a remake done of it. It's been 24 years and people still don't shut the hell up about it because it's just that great. The saddest thing is that a sequel was even planned, but never came to fruition (though what we got instead was still an outstanding game that also got a kickass sequel of its own [and in case anyone's unaware, that series is Paper Mario]). Hopefully SMRPG can live on through Geno being revealed in the hopefully very near future. ;)

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
As someone who has been playing Blizzard games since WarCraft III's expansion came out, their games go on sale all the freaking time, especially if it's been out for at least like 6 months (which is currently Blizzard's entire library at the moment). I don't follow their sister company (Activision) so I can't speak for them, but yeah, WoW goes on sale at least yearly (usually Winter/Holiday season), the other games do randomly, or just have price drops (such as D3 which is now a pitiful $20 when it was $60 at launch). Granted, OW is now $20 permanently ($15 during this sale) on PC, and that's been their newest game for awhile (sans WC3 Reforged).

TL;DR: Don't read at all into Blizzard games being on sale. It means nothing.

Bruh, ****ing grats man. I bet you probably sat on that The End screen awhile as the SMB1 theme played in the background.

Right? Why do you think we want Geno in Smash? TBH for me, it's not even about having him in Smash, as crazy as that is. It's having Nintendo be fully aware that the game exists, that people love it, and they need to keep bringing it back, potentially even having a remake done of it. It's been 24 years and people still don't shut the hell up about it because it's just that great. The saddest thing is that a sequel was even planned, but never came to fruition (though what we got instead was still an outstanding game that also got a kickass sequel of its own [and in case anyone's unaware, that series is Paper Mario]). Hopefully SMRPG can live on through Geno being revealed in the hopefully very near future. ;)
I mean, that's always what it's been for me as well, the game itself is way more important than Geno as a character ever will be. Paper Mario is one of my favorite games (SMRPG has dethroned it EASILY though as my favorite in the franchise), and I really like all the Mario and Luigi's, and none of them would exist without this game. TBH I actually considered doing a post in the past about how Geno himself really isn't THAT important but that A. a good portion of the existing roster isn't either and B. The game he represents is.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I mean, that's always what it's been for me as well, the game itself is way more important than Geno as a character ever will be. Paper Mario is one of my favorite games (SMRPG has dethroned it EASILY though as my favorite in the franchise), and I really like all the Mario and Luigi's, and none of them would exist without this game. TBH I actually considered doing a post in the past about how Geno himself really isn't THAT important but that A. a good portion of the existing roster isn't either and B. The game he represents is.
Yeah that's how it's been for me. Geno's aight, but it's that he best represents the game. Mallow could too, but... eh. He just doesn't have that same impact as Geno did.

Also same regarding PM (at least the first two) and M&L (sans DT and PJ). TBH I'm really in the mood for Paper Mario right now, but not... whatever the hell tOK is/will be... :(

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced Fighter 6 isn't from some upcoming ARMS sequel. Sure Roy and arguably Corrin (even though Fates was already out for a couple months in Japan) were added to promote their respective games, but why would they show the entire cast of ARMS and the just make it some character we literally know nothing about? This would be like the worst move Nintendo could do with promoting this.

I'm not denying the possibility an ARMS sequel would coincide with the reveal, the same thing happened with Isabelle after all. But I really doubt the character will be from that sequel.

Lyncario

Smash Ace

So you're telling me, the website that screwed over multiple IRL Polls, created the whole "Pool's Closed" fiasco, Kickstarted the "He Will Not Divide Us" Arc", And a plethora of over the top troll moves and other pranks that are far too numerous to list here, THE 4CHAN.......

...........was shut down because some thristy-af Touhou fans who wanted news of the latest game and spammed pictures of Reimu getting possesed by O'Donnell. Of all the things to take 4Chan down............it was that............
Do you want to know what's even better and worse about it at the same time?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ReimuForSmash/status/122746690569231565

It was documented.

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice
So I decided to replay Super Mario RPG and when I got to Gaz's house I thought about something, what if this ends up being Geno's final smash?

Captura de pantalla 2020-06-09 a las 17.41.05.png

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced Fighter 6 isn't from some upcoming ARMS sequel. Sure Roy and arguably Corrin (even though Fates was already out for a couple months in Japan) were added to promote their respective games, but why would they show the entire cast of ARMS and the just make it some character we literally know nothing about? This would be like the worst move Nintendo could do with promoting this.

I'm not denying the possibility an ARMS sequel would coincide with the reveal, the same thing happened with Isabelle after all. But I really doubt the character will be from that sequel.
I mentioned before, as odd as it may sound, that in the case of a hypothetical ARMS 2, it may be possible that an ARMS character achieves some kind of new prominence in the sequel. Example: we get ARMS 2 with a story centered around Dr Coyle or from her point of view. In this instance, the character is still from ARMS, but is a main character in the upcoming game. I find it highly unlikely as this makes more sense for a spinoff since Spring Man and Ribbon Girl have already established themselves as the mascots of the series, but it is a possibility that I don't really see talked about. Personally, I think you're absolutely right and that the ARMS character will just be from ARMS regardless of if ARMS 2 exists or not.

So I decided to replay Super Mario RPG and when I got to Gaz's house I thought about something, what if this ends up being Geno's final smash?

Yes please! Best final smash idea I've seen. In all seriousness this would actually allow the cannon to just be Geno's up special which I think would be his best up special option anyway lol.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Geez, so we're getting into the heavy rumor stuff now, huh? Suppose it was time for things to start picking up, hopefully we get something of substance soon, it seems like forever since we've been able to sink our hopeful teeth into something.

This year's shot some gnarly arrows our way, but we'll keep mashing those timed hits 'til we come out on top!

View attachment 274271
God , I love Wata_Lemon animations ! I'm really looking forward his SMRPG work , his artstyle work so well with that game.
Also our boy is shmoviiiiiiiing

---

Talking about reactions ?

While I couldn't record mine... I'm pretty sure that my brain would not be able to compute when I'll see his splash screen lol.
For real , I think I would have the biggest smile on my face , and it's going to stay like that for a while. I don't think there is any other character addition that could impact me as much as Geno. This reveal would be Pure , unfiltered Joy.

MattX20

Smash Hero
By the end of today, we'll know if there is a Smash direct/presentation or not. Otherwise, it must be next week

D

Deleted member

Maybe we get an announcement in about 2-3 hours.

I am personally banking on a dual reveal with FP7 being a Spirit/assist trophy promotion if the Arms rep happens to be someone such as Min Min or Springman.

Polarthief

Smash Lord

That would be a total bait-and-switch to do that. Same with putting in Biff because "lol he was in the corner of the screen, so he counted too!".

Back when toys could actually knock out a man. Dollmakers, you crazy. But yeah, that'd be pretty funny if it turned out to be his final smash. I still think Geno Blast fits more since Flash could be his Up-B Recovery and (Blast) doesn't really fit as well as the other 4 moves as a special move, unless they wanted Whirl to be his final.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not gonna dive deep into this to not derail the thread, but the Arms rep is totally from the roster Nintendo showed at the reveal of the Arms rep last Direct. They could technically be called out for false advertisement if they did not do so.

Going back into on-topic territory, I feel that in the case Geno gets in he will come with Mii costumes themed about other assist trophies and spirits.

Some possible scenarios being a Shantae or Dr. Willy Mii costume.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Between having fighter 6 being the ARMs characters in the game already to it being an unrepresented ARMs pick, there is a potential third option:

Its an ARMs rep already in Smash but it uses their design from a potential ARMS sequel. This scenario would be the most frustrating one as it literally answers nothing about the spirits/ATs/Miis deconfirm argument. If its Spring Man but in his sequel design, then detractors will say this still deconfirms promotions as while its Springman, its not THE Springman, IE the one in Smash already.

And with how frustrating this debate has been and the lack of an actual concrete answer concerning promotions, I bet you that this is the most likely end result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom