• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
View attachment 273544

Dear god... If the next week really is the endgame for Geno, can we PLEASE not go into another Geno vs Sora debate?!? Literally 15 years of this **** and I can't wait for its official death in hopefully the next 10 days...
inb4 it doesn't die but grows stronger.

I hope not because i hate it as much as you. Genos and Soras fanbase can coexsits happily together. people on eithet side can, dare I say it, be friends

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The thread's been really speeding up these past few days. We're just 21 pages away from the jackpot number

cosmicB

Smash Ace
@Trevenant If this was an isolated incident I would let it go but, when it comes to Smash, notable crossovers or exclusive projects shortly before Smash announcements is actually a decent predictor of whether a company will be involved in Smash in some form:

Snake: the Twin Snakes for the GameCube
Sonic- Mario and Sonic at the 2008 Olympic Games
Megaman- Street Fighter x Tekken (which had both Pac-Man and Megaman in it)
Pac-Man- Seriously, take your pick.
Bayonetta- the Wonderful 101
Simon- Castlevania in both the NES Classic and SNES Classic
Joker- Tokyo Mirage Sessions (aka SMT x Fire Emblem).
Hero- Dragon Quest XI S
Banjo- Mario in Minecraft

This isn't an exhaustive list either, just the ones I could think of off the top of my head. Point is that a lot of Smash additions were kind of foreshadowed in this way because Smash is rarely the first time major companies work together and there's typically something noteworthy before their Smash primere.
So what about all the companies that have worked with Nintendo, yet don't have any Smash representation? This seems like a massive reach because it assumes partnerships are predicated on Smash inclusion rather than, you know, just being your standard partnership.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
.... You missed the point. to quote: ".... notable crossovers or exclusive projects shortly before Smash announcements is a actually a decent PREDICTOR of whether a company will be involved in Smash in some form:..."

No where did that idea come across as "each time a company works with Nintendo, they are in Smash."

The idea is there is a chance of a Smash collaboration if a company/series is involved with Nintendo prior. Not set in stone nor a requirement, but you can see a third party fighter being involved in Smash has some other collaboration with Nintendo. Just a notable pattern of sorts.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
So, guys, what are you betting what Spirt Event we'll get tonight? I'm going with an FNAF Spirt event!
Are we even guaranteed a spirit event tonight? I just want the Warframe spirits and then I'll have all but one. But I am saving that one for a very specific day.
:151:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Looks like it is just a spirit event. Nothing new here.

Have they ever done a SNES spirit event before? Would that be a mark against Geno's chances if they ever did a SNES event with him involved? I know he doesn't show up on the spirit board often but I am curious if an SNES event would be bad news.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Obligatory.
https://youtu.be/pFlcqWQVVuU

Bit weird to give the N64 it's own specific event, but neat. Any idea where that N64 art is from?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Interesting choice for a spirit event!
If this had been released at the same time last year, I can imagine Banjo hype would've skyrocketed

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So what about all the companies that have worked with Nintendo, yet don't have any Smash representation? This seems like a massive reach because it assumes partnerships are predicated on Smash inclusion rather than, you know, just being your standard partnership.
1. Notable crossovers/projects.
2. Representation can also take the form of spirits, ATs, Mii costumes, etc.

One of the points I was making is that Microsoft is literally the biggest partner that's been involved in Smash by a considerable amount and its representation is a playable character from a dead franchise and a handful of spirits. It's very unusual especially in the light of literally every other third party character being the biggest of their respective companies. Banjo is a fan favorite but he's definitely not Microsoft's main character. I feel like that honor goes to Master Chief (although some argue Steve?).

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion

One of the points I was making is that Microsoft is literally the biggest partner that's been involved in Smash by a considerable amount and its representation is a playable character from a dead franchise and a handful of spirits. It's very unusual especially in the light of literally every other third party character being the biggest of their respective companies. Banjo is a fan favorite but he's definitely not Microsoft's main character. I feel like that honor goes to Master Chief (although some argue Steve?).
I'd say Master Chief is their biggest self made character while Steve is their biggest acquired character.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Don't we normally get an Online Virtual Console thing every year? We got NES in 2018 and SNES in 2019. Maybe that could tease at N64 this year? Just throwing out crazy conspiracies, lol. It probably doesn't mean anything specific but hey! It's still cool! Very excited for the next few weeks and will finally be getting my hands on SMRPG for Virtual Console! For good luck and for our boy Geno!

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The Nintendo 64 is the theme this time? Interesting choice, but it also confirms this much: the fact the last event with new Spirits belonged to a Square IP is rather noteworthy.

cosmicB

Smash Ace

How is Castlevania on an official emulation machine/service a notable crossover/project?

Like, this mindset can be applied to a ton of things. You know Hatsune Miku and Touhou characters have cannonically met Nintendo characters in official products before, right? Where is their Smash representation? And what about Bethesda? What about Level 5 (and no, Eight doesn't count), or the countless number of other Nintendo partners that have just as significant a crossover as Castlevania on NES/SNES classic if not moreso?

If you want to specifically point to MS, that's fine, but drawing lines here that have tenuous connections at best (if they even connect at all) isn't helpful for speculation unless you just want to go full Pepe Silvia. Like it's totally asinine to me that the main motivation or even a secondary concern for Street Fighter X Tekken was "MEGAMAN IN SMASH" as some kind of coveted endgame. Surely I'm not the only one that thinks it's ridiculous to designate legitimate partnerships as something so hollow, am I?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the point from my previous post, if a company gets a playable character in Smash, that is the first thing that gets in. So far we have not had a company make its primere with a spirit, trophy, etc and go on to get a character:

Konami- Snake, Simon, Richter
SEGA- Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker
Capcom- Megaman, Ryu, Ken
Namco- Pac-Man
Square Enix- Cloud, Hero
Microsoft- Banjo
SNK- Terry

This said, there's much more precedent for these companies to get more characters than it is for a company only represented by a spirit, AT, Mii costume, etc to get a character.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
On the point from my previous post, if a company gets a playable character in Smash, that is the first thing that gets in. So far we have not had a company make its primere with a spirit, trophy, etc and go on to get a character:

Konami- Snake, Simon, Richter
SEGA- Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker
Capcom- Megaman, Ryu, Ken
Namco- Pac-Man
Square Enix- Cloud, Hero
Microsoft- Banjo
SNK- Terry

This said, there's much more precedent for these companies to get more charactersthan it is for a company only represented by a spirit, AT, Mii costume, etc to get a character.
Yep, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get one more new 3rd party in the Fighter Pass

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
How is Castlevania on an official emulation machine/service a notable crossover/project?

Like, this mindset can be applied to a ton of things. You know Hatsune Miku and Touhou characters have cannonically met Nintendo characters in official products before, right? Where is their Smash representation? And what about Bethesda? What about Level 5 (and no, Eight doesn't count), or the countless number of other Nintendo partners that have just as significant a crossover as Castlevania on NES/SNES classic if not moreso?

If you want to specifically point to MS, that's fine, but drawing lines here that have tenuous connections at best (if they even connect at all) isn't helpful for speculation unless you just want to go full Pepe Silvia. Like it's totally asinine to me that the main motivation or even a secondary concern for Street Fighter X Tekken was "MEGAMAN IN SMASH" as some kind of coveted endgame. Surely I'm not the only one that thinks it's ridiculous to designate legitimate partnerships as something so hollow, am I?
From the original post itself.

This isn't an exhaustive list either, just the ones I could think of off the top of my head. Point is that a lot of Smash additions were kind of foreshadowed in this way because Smash is rarely the first time major companies work together and there's typically something noteworthy before their Smash primere.
And from the post you even quoted:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yep, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get one more new 3rd party in the Fighter Pass
Exactly! This is also why my predictions have been what they are. The third party characters we've gotten in Smash have either been: brand new to Smash or new characters from companies already playable in Smash.

In Ultimate, so far 5 of the new 7 third party characters were in companies that debuted in Brawl or Smash 4. That said, by past precedent, it's more likely for existing companies to simply get more characters than for totally new companies to be added. This is also why I only have one totally new company in my prediction for Season 2, Activision, and the other four will be from companies in Smash.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
@Trevenant If this was an isolated incident I would let it go but, when it comes to Smash, notable crossovers or exclusive projects shortly before Smash announcements is actually a decent predictor of whether a company will be involved in Smash in some form:

Snake: the Twin Snakes for the GameCube
Sonic- Mario and Sonic at the 2008 Olympic Games
Megaman- Street Fighter x Tekken (which had both Pac-Man and Megaman in it)
Pac-Man- Seriously, take your pick.
Bayonetta- the Wonderful 101
Simon- Castlevania in both the NES Classic and SNES Classic
Joker- Tokyo Mirage Sessions (aka SMT x Fire Emblem).
Hero- Dragon Quest XI S
Banjo- Mario in Minecraft

I think you've got it backwards. It's not that they do crossovers because of smash, it's that the most popular characters are often included in crossovers and smash tends to pick those popular characters. There are tons and tons of third parties that could have been in smash that had crossovers. Hyrule warriors was Zelda x Dynasty warriors, yet we got no koei techno rep for example. And if this is evidence then you should be predicting Rayman because of Mario and Rabbids.

Edit: to add some more examples Link was in soul Calibur on the GameCube but we didn't get a soul Calibur rep in brawl, and there was a Metroid stage with a Ridley stage hazard in dead or alive dimensions but we didn't get a dead or alive character in smash 4.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
>people getting excited thinking the next character announcement could be what confirms geno
>This has repeated for over 15 years and nothing has come out of it

I WANNA GET OFF THIS WILD RIDE. YOU PEOPLE ARE INSANE.
1590846489561.jpg

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
One thing that annoys me about some people in the Smash community is when they demand the answer as to why we want a certain character. I don't get why nowadays we can't just simply want a character because of how cool they would be and how we need some in-depth reason as to why we want a certain character. Everytime I tell people I want Geno in Smash, 99% of the time I am asked this question and it is so annoying.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
And from the post you even quoted:
But my point is there's still plenty of Nintendo partners with ZERO representation, whether it be ATs, spirits, etc. Level 5 have been more significant partners for Nintendo than Konami have been since the 8 bit era, and yet there's literally nothing in the game from them that isn't owned by another company (Eight). No Layton, no Yokai Watch (Reggie and Bill cut a commercial for the damn series!), no nothing. And they are far from alone.

That's my issue with the theory. It's trying to make big companies working together out to be more than... big companies working together.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I think you've got it backwards. It's not that they do crossovers because of smash, it's that the most popular characters are often included in crossovers and smash tends to pick those popular characters. There are tons and tons of third parties that could have been in smash that had crossovers. Hyrule warriors was Zelda x Dynasty warriors, yet we got no koei techno rep for example. And if this is evidence then you should be predicting Rayman because of Mario and Rabbids.

Edit: to add some more examples Link was in soul Calibur on the GameCube but we didn't get a soul Calibur rep in brawl, and there was a Metroid stage with a Ridley stage hazard in dead or alive dimensions but we didn't get a dead or alive character in smash 4.
Yeah, this is largely my mindset. It's 100% confirmation bias because you can find countless examples that could also be applied to that line of thinking, and yet you need to zero in on a few specific examples while ignoring all the ones where things didn't work out for the theory to hold any kind of water. It's just really shaky extrapolation imo.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
One thing that annoys me about some people in the Smash community is when they demand the answer as to why we want a certain character. I don't get why nowadays we can't just simply want a character because of how cool they would be and how we need some in-depth reason as to why we want a certain character. Everytime I tell people I want Geno in Smash, 99% of the time I am asked this question and it is so annoying.
Geno is the last long time requested character, it’s the last character in which you have to defend your request for him. K Rool and Ridley went through it too. It’s annoying.

For those around for some time, did K Rool and Ridley threads get raided like this one?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Besides our boy Geno, I feel that the following characters are pretty much locks imo for Vol. 2.

• Crash Bandicoot: they (Nintendo, Activision, Sakurai) CAN'T let this opportunity pass them by. Adding Crash to the roster would make it possible for Mario, Sonic, and everyone's wacky marsupial duke it out for reals (in addition to making countless other dream matches, or tag teams). We got the N' Sane Trilogy and CTR on the Switch, so... LET'S GO!!!:2gud:
  • Dante: The moment the DMC Director (Hideki Itsuno) mentioned in an interview that for Dante to be in Smash, he believed that DMC games should at least have been on Nintendo systems at some point, and about a month or so after (or it was a bit more I think) DMC games started being ported to the Nintendo Switch (with DMC 3 getting exclusive perks), I thought this couldn't possibly have been a casual, mere coincidence. And if the unannounced Capcom title listed on Amazon France that's coming to the Switch, so happens to be DMC 4, ohhhh baby, I'll be VERY motivated cause this party'll be about to get crazy.
  • Rayman: albeit currently present in the game as a Spirit, depending on who CP6 ends up being, the limbless hero's chances might skyrocket into a lock. Ubisoft's been a real pal to Nintendo in recent years and surely they'd love to see their main mascot make it into Smash as more than just a static PNG file. Now, there's the detail about the Western rep. Imo, if Sakurai had to choose only 1 Western rep for this pass, I'd say it would have to be Crash. However, again given how Ubisoft's collaborated with Nintendo thus far (I believe for Smash 4, Ubisoft provided the 3D model for Rayman's trophy back then), it could be a possibility to get two Western reps (Crash and Rayman) since the only serious negotiation work would have to be with Activision since Ubisoft's already pretty much onboard on Ultimate.
  • Doom Slayer: ok, this would be a potential second (or third) Western third party rep; "IMPOSSIBLE!". I know, right? Still, reason why I still have the feeling that the Doom Slayer might be a lock (and a sleeper pick) tie in with the DOOM content that dropped on the Switch last year, and the still yet to still be released DOOM Eternal Switch version, to which there has been no mention nor announcement. Hoping that it's one of the three Bethesda games listed on the Amazon France site. To add to this, CacoMallow; still unproven, let's go. :shades:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Geno is the last long time requested character, it’s the last character in which you have to defend your request for him. K Rool and Ridley went through it too. It’s annoying.

For those around for some time, did K Rool and Ridley threads get raided like this one?
I'm still pretty new here but I guarantee they were hella raided before their reveal.

Besides our boy Geno, I feel that the following characters are pretty much locks imo for Vol. 2.

• Crash Bandicoot: they (Nintendo, Activision, Sakurai) CAN'T let this opportunity pass them by. Adding Crash to the roster would make it possible for Mario, Sonic, and everyone's wacky marsupial duke it out for reals (in addition to making countless other dream matches, or tag teams). We got the N' Sane Trilogy and CTR on the Switch, so... LET'S GO!!!:2gud:
  • Dante: The moment the DMC Director (Hideki Itsuno) mentioned in an interview that for Dante to be in Smash, he believed that DMC games should at least have been on Nintendo systems at some point, and about a month or so after (or it was a bit more I think) DMC games started being ported to the Nintendo Switch (with DMC 3 getting exclusive perks), I thought this couldn't possibly have been a casual, mere coincidence. And if the unannounced Capcom title listed on Amazon France that's coming to the Switch, so happens to be DMC 4, ohhhh baby, I'll be VERY motivated cause this party'll be about to get crazy.
  • Rayman: albeit currently present in the game as a Spirit, depending on who CP6 ends up being, the limbless hero's chances might skyrocket into a lock. Ubisoft's been a real pal to Nintendo in recent years and surely they'd love to see their main mascot make it into Smash as more than just a static PNG file. Now, there's the detail about the Western rep. Imo, if Sakurai had to choose only 1 Western rep for this pass, I'd say it would have to be Crash. However, again given how Ubisoft's collaborated with Nintendo thus far (I believe for Smash 4, Ubisoft provided the 3D model for Rayman's trophy back then), it could be a possibility to get two Western reps (Crash and Rayman) since the only serious negotiation work would have to be with Activision since Ubisoft's already pretty much onboard on Ultimate.
  • Doom Slayer: ok, this would be a potential second (or third) Western third party rep; "IMPOSSIBLE!". I know, right? Still, reason why I still have the feeling that the Doom Slayer might be a lock (and a sleeper pick) tie in with the DOOM content that dropped on the Switch last year, and the still yet to still be released DOOM Eternal Switch version, to which there has been no mention nor announcement. Hoping that it's one of the three Bethesda games listed on the Amazon France site. To add to this, CacoMallow; still unproven, let's go. :shades:
Interesting predictions. Personally, the only other character on your predictions other then Geno of course that I am willing to bet is going to be in Fighters Pass Volume 2 is Rayman. I say this as a die-hard Crash supporter, just look at my description, but I just don't think Crash is in BECAUSE he is too obvious. I feel like every character in Volume 1 were very unpredictable and I have no doubt in my mind that Volume 2 will be no different. That is also why I don't think DOOM Slayer and Dante are that likely because of how "new" they are to speculation. I just think certain characters take time to get enough momentum to seriously be considered to be playable and I just don't think Ultimate is their time. I also cannot see three Western third-parties get included in the same Pass, but that is just me. Nintendo is very bias towards Japanese IPs so I don't think half of the Pass will be targeted towards the Western audience.

I would love to be wrong about Crash, but that is the way I see it.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I feel that the following characters are pretty much locks imo for Vol. 2.
N-no, I don't think *any* other character besides "an ARMS rep" is a lock (besides Geno of course). Likely? That's one thing. A lock? Absolutely not. Granted I don't have all the evidence for these other characters, but I really don't see anyone else as a lock.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
N-no, I don't think *any* other character besides "an ARMS rep" is a lock (besides Geno of course). Likely? That's one thing. A lock? Absolutely not. Granted I don't have all the evidence for these other characters, but I really don't see anyone else as a lock.
i believe no character is a lock (geno included)

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Oh yes. The Ridley thread in smash 4 got raided way more often than we do here even.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's only a matter of days now before any info for FP7 could potentially drop, so we have to keep our eyes open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom