• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
i believe no character is a lock (geno included)
Which is absolutely fine to think that too, I've just chosen to put all my confidence in Geno happening, so I'm stupidly-believing that he's a lock, even though I know he's not.

That list though, there's no way Doomguy is a lock. Rayman just had Ubisoft costumes in DLC 5; seems like awful timing if there was gonna be a Ubisoft rep (also why wasn't there for FP1, honestly?). Dante I don't even know the evidence behind him. Finally, Crash I do see as pretty likely but nowhere close to lock-status.

QQS

Smash Lord
424E66A4-BF79-4313-A6D4-EB40DA558D6B.jpeg

These are the only missing costumes. The theories are that Hunter costume will return with Dante playable; or viceversa. Lloyd with Heihachi (one or the other also). And of course pray for our Blue Doll playable, with Chocobo costume.

Let’s get this show on the road! We’re almost there! Omg that trailer will be so f***ing priceless. I will be crying tears of joy with Geno reveal.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Let's not count any eggs before they hatch (especially if you're playing Kirby's Adventure), keep your expectations in check. The aura of the air feels not too different from the Banjo thread but we can't put our engines full throttle until we can confirm without a doubt he's coming. We don't need to give unnecessary fuel to the arsonists that are detractors, after all. I am as confident that the star lad will descend during this pass, even if it's not next week or next month or even this year. I don't think Sakurai will forget us in the long run. Godspeed, Geno lads and goodnight. :kirby:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
One thing that annoys me about some people in the Smash community is when they demand the answer as to why we want a certain character. I don't get why nowadays we can't just simply want a character because of how cool they would be and how we need some in-depth reason as to why we want a certain character. Everytime I tell people I want Geno in Smash, 99% of the time I am asked this question and it is so annoying.
Their only counter argument is that 'I think my character is cooler' so the idea of putting someone down for thinking someone is cool is rather silly to me.

I wish I had the confidence you guys have in Geno. I still see it as 60-40 in favor at best.
Currently it is 50/50 for me so you aren't doing too bad

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I couldn't find it online, so I ripped Geno's costume from Smash 4.
View attachment 273557
Y'know I actually felt for you a bit when you were bemoaning the lack of Geno's Mii Costume being ripped earlier today, but if I had known you were intending to do this with it I would've just told you to go commit not alive 2 in Minecraft. How dare you bring this cursed abomination into our thread. Leave nowand never come back, you wretched spawn of satan, and may a higher authority have mercy on your tainted soul.

In all seriousness, nice job on the rip! You gonna submit that to TMR?

I wish I had the confidence you guys have in Geno. I still see it as 60-40 in favor at best.
Honestly I'm right there with you. While I think he's got a great shot to make it in this time 'round, it's nowhere near a guarentee. Really wish it was, though.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I feel I'm more optimistic than some of y'all at 75-25. Sure, there's a very realistic chance he's not in, but also there's a lot going for him as well.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Y'know I actually felt for you a bit when you were bemoaning the lack of Geno's Mii Costume being ripped earlier today, but if I had known you were intending to do this with it I would've just told you to go commit not alive 2 in Minecraft. How dare you bring this cursed abomination into our thread. Leave nowand never come back, you wretched spawn of satan, and may a higher authority have mercy on your tainted soul.

In all seriousness, nice job on the rip! You gonna submit that to TMR?
Submitted and awaiting approval. In case I did something wrong and it gets rejected, here's what I have for review.
thumbnail.png

Attachments

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I'm honestly 50/50. He may have a lot going for him but our perception of his chances may not matter in the end. Don't want to get too burned, especially with the way 2020 is currently.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
The golden rule with being a Geno fan is to treat everything as a coincidence and expect nothing in return.

T2by4

Smash Lord
I'm feeling about 15% confident. If springman gets in and no geno costume then probably 75% confident.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
The only other Sauare character I see happening at this point is Neku, so that helps Geno a lot.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Along with Neku, I feel like Sephiroth, Zack or any other Final Fantasy character will always seem to be a threat for Geno. However, I think it is safe to say our competition doesn't seem as stacked as it once did if you follow trends of DLC. I don't think many people realize how big of a blow Byleth and ARMS is to the likes of Sora or 2B. Not that anything in particular is affecting them, but you can see where the rule/mentality that every character has to be this major mind blowing 3rd party juggernaut is kind of broken.

This was a rather frustrating topic to discuss back around October thru January so actually seeing Byleth make the roster was much more pleasant than I could have ever imagined. It kind of destroyed that Juggernauts only expectation.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Neku is mainly because I feel like Square wants to promote TWEW2 when it gets unveiled, whereas FF7R...doesn't need that, cause it's effing Final Fantasy 7.

QQS

Smash Lord
186B0A42-5361-4F0D-B717-C69028B97511.jpeg

Remember this Geno enthusiast from 1990 after Geno drops in the ARMS presentation. This 2 decades long wait will come to and end after Geno Falls into Battle!

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I'm feeling pretty confident about Geno, but I don't want to get too invested like I did for the base game. In RTC I actually gave Geno a 100% lol. I really don't want to make such a mistake ever again.

I think cautious optimism is the most healthy direction for me in regards to Geno.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I consider Geno's chances at bare minimum 65% likely. Not a lock, but still more likely than people would give credit for

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I find it really funny how much the two fanbases seem to fight given how much you could argue they actually have in common. Both representing different eras of Square-Soft in it's prime right before drastic changes (Square moving to Sony, the Enix merger), from JRPG's with more surreal and unique locations and ideas based on the premise of combining Final Fantasy elements with another iconic property, complete with more action focused combat than your typical RPG, stuck with weird rights issues surrounding them, Yoko Shimomura is the main composer for both games, christ they even both have weird possession/soul stuff going on. If it wasn't such a one or the other thing the two fanbases would probably get along super well.

View attachment 273546
"63% Puppet" God , this is a bit too clever for my liking. And yeah , while I prefer Roxas to Sora , I still enjoy KH for what it is.

---

You're still more confident than the majority of Gamefaqs/Twitter users :4pacman:
For real , I saw way too many people saying "yeah , he'll be a premium costume , even tho not a single returning third party costume got that treatment , deal with it." or something along those lines , so your "60-40" makes me happy lol.

Personnaly , I'm at a solid 80% , the more time goes by , and the more I'm feeling déjà-vu from the E3 2019 build-up with Banjo. It's a gut feeling , yes , but the Super Cool List by PolarThief on top of that make me very confident.
And also , the fact that Nintendo told us many times that they don't care about what we thought was impossible , and just did it.

Of course all of this could crash in a fire , but hey , at this point , what's a few more years of waiting ? I'm sure Geno will come back eventually.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
, even tho not a single returning third party costume got that treatment
There have been only 2 premium mii costumes, you can't make any pattern out of 2 occurences. If you don't believe Spirit deconfirms, there is no reason to believe premium costumes can only be new stuff.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
There have been only 2 premium mii costumes, you can't make any pattern out of 2 occurences. If you don't believe Spirit deconfirms, there is no reason to believe premium costumes can only be new stuff.
Iv'e made a post before hand explaining my point of view on premium costume.

One thing to know is that they were both new characters to Smash , and surprises that pleased the majority. People didn't expected a playable Cuphead despise the desire of the Cuphead developpers , and Sans was seen as a big impossible meme. People were happy to see a Sans costume.

Of course they could say "frick it , here's Lloyd with a Tales of music track" it can happen , but why should it happen is the real question.

At most , they price the costume a tiny bit higher , by like , 20 cents or something. But well , why would they go through that trouble when they have pretty much all the assets ready ?
Knuckles and Tails would have fit perfectly as premium costumes due to their chara design , and heck , we have a ton of potential Sonic music to add to Smash... But they didn't. Another example of a returning costume that could have come with a track would be Akira ; He's an AT , but we have 0 Virtual Fighter music in Smash. And he didn't brought music.

Considering to who they give the deluxe treatment and how they treated returning costume over the course of both Ultimate's base game and 5 DLC Fighter Packs , I personnaly don't believe returning third party costumes will get the deluxe treatment. They don't have the surprise factor , they have assets ready , and several of them are seen as serious contenders for Smash now.

I think the costume can come back , but I don't see it coming back as a deluxe outfit considering what happened. The only argument Iv'e seen against that is "Well , it could happen" wich is pretty weak imo.

It would be random for Nintendo and Sakurai to be like :
Knuckles ? No. Tails ? No. Mega Man X ? No. MegaMan.EXE ? No. Proto Man ? No. Akira ? No. Jacky ? No. Zero ? No. Geno ? Yes , bring a track and let's make a new costume.

And well , it's not like we're exactly lacking in Mario music , either.
Selling a brand new track from a game with no representation in Smash like Megalovania or Floral Furry is a much more interesting buy than... Another Mario track , for the general consummer. Heck , I could even see people complaining that we have the SMRPG battle track , but no PM battle fanfare or Superstar saga battle theme.

Tl;dr : It could happen , but they lack a proper reason to give that treatment to Geno , and not anyone else. So , if the Geno costume come back , it will most likely be untouched from Sm4sh.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I haven't seen anyone talk about this: https://gamerant.com/super-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-spyro-arms/

This could be big. Has this happened before? Granted it could just be a mistake and it could be unrelated to Smash I guess? Are they releasing amiibo for any other game? I immediately thought Spring Man or Springtron. But if it's not directly referring to the next character I was also looking at Terry but there's no space for any other FP1 character so I'm not sure about that. There's also other names we could throw around if it's a later character: Sora, Spyro, etc. I checked the website myself and it's still there. Interesting to say the least. I'm thinking Spring Man really might be our pass opener.
Edit: then again it is odd that they would add this character before any of the FP1 characters to the list so it could just be some kind of promotional amiibo.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I haven't seen anyone talk about this: https://gamerant.com/super-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-spyro-arms/

This could be big. Has this happened before? Granted it could just be a mistake and it could be unrelated to Smash I guess? Are they releasing amiibo for any other game? I immediately thought Spring Man or Springtron. But if it's not directly referring to the next character I was also looking at Terry but there's no space for any other FP1 character so I'm not sure about that. There's also other names we could throw around if it's a later character: Sora, Spyro, etc. I checked the website myself and it's still there. Interesting to say the least. I'm thinking Spring Man really might be our pass opener.
Edit: then again it is odd that they would add this character before any of the FP1 characters to the list so it could just be some kind of promotional amiibo.
This was a bug from what I recall. The Squirtle amiibo glitched out.

I'm still fairly confident we're getting Spring Man , tho. Either way , we don't have to wait for too long.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
This was a bug from what I recall. The Squirtle amiibo glitched out.

I'm still fairly confident we're getting Spring Man , tho. Either way , we don't have to wait for too long.
Ok thanks for clearing that up. That makes sense. I also still think we are getting Spring Man regardless, but it would have beeb super weird for him to be on the supported amiibo list or have his amiibo come out before FP1 amiibo. I did notice Toad was missing also but maybe his amiibo is not compatible with Ultimate. I didn't think of Squirtle tho nice catch I think that must be it.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm convinced more it will be Min Min for the ARMS rep due to a variety of factors already discussed, but I think she and Geno will be revealed together

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Personally, I am at a 80% in terms of confidence in Geno's chances. I feel like most people really overlook the evidence in Geno's favor, as well as being another fan favorite that even Sakurai wants. Their is 20% of me that still fears that Nintendo will pull a Nintendo and include a ton of promotional characters, and the more days that pass, the more feared and anxious I get. I really don't wanna be burnt out again like I was back in base game when I thought Geno was a 100% lock, but this is definitely the most likely Geno has been in quite some time.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Screenshot_20200603-063644_Chrome.jpg

The official nintendo website updated their amiibo list for their Smash amiibos. For whatever reason a new amiibo that is "coming soon" is placed between Sonic and Toon Link. If we were to assume that it's a character whose name is between Sonic and Toon Link, since this website is in alphabetical order, the ONLY person that fits this slot is Springman.

Edit: wow ya'll already caught this, dang. I'm way behind.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
View attachment 273605

The official nintendo website updated their amiibo list for their Smash amiibos. For whatever reason a new amiibo that is "coming soon" is placed between Sonic and Toon Link. If we were to assume that it's a character whose name is between Sonic and Toon Link, since this website is in alphabetical order, the ONLY person that fits this slot is Springman.
pretty sure this was dealt with

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
View attachment 273605

Edit: wow ya'll already caught this, dang. I'm way behind.
This could potentially be a hint for Spring Man, but this could also fit for Terry since he is also inbetween Sonic and Toon Link alphabetically.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Lol I see I'm not the only one late to the party discovering the Squirtle glitch.

I'm about 65-35 in favor of Geno's chances right now. If the Arms character is Spring Man or a spirit(s) then I think that will go up to about 80% and I don't think it would go any higher without an SNK level leak.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This could potentially be a hint for Spring Man, but this could also fit for Terry since he is also inbetween Sonic and Toon Link alphabetically.
They haven’t even done Piranha Plant’s, Joker’s, Hero’s or Banjo’s Amiibo yet. Nevertheless I think Terry’s Amiibo would precede the ARMS rep’s Amiibo.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
The squirtle thing means nothing. It was discovered days ago by a discord server I was in and debunked the following day. It was likely an error.

Firox

Smash Master
I'm honestly 50/50. He may have a lot going for him but our perception of his chances may not matter in the end. Don't want to get too burned, especially with the way 2020 is currently.
Sad to say, this is a fairly valid sentiment given what Sakurai's done in the past. I could see it now...

EVIDENCE:
-Youtube music Take downs
-Cacomallow
-Mii Costume leak
-Sakurai's own words of Geno being a good fit
Then we notice Geno's spirit mysteriously patched out of the game, Nintendo starts teasing a SMRPG remaster and all former insiders start buzzing about a certain puppet getting into Smash.....

....and then Sakurai reveals Poppi from Xenoblade Chronicles 2
1591193679158.png

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
They haven’t even done Piranha Plant’s, Joker’s, Hero’s or Banjo’s Amiibo yet. Nevertheless I think Terry’s Amiibo would precede the ARMS rep’s Amiibo.
Well, Sakurai did release previous amiibo a bit out of order so I wouldn't be surprised if that happens with the FP1 amiibo, as strange as that would be.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Plant's amiibo has been out. What was odd about that is that its amiibo was released very early in the cycle despite being a DLC character

Polarthief

Smash Lord
but the Super Cool List by PolarThief on top of that make me very confident.
Missed this one because I wasn't pinged: uwu~

Come tomorrow, we're almost assuredly in the last 7 days. Hell we may already be if the smash news is on the 9th. It's been a journey and I really hope we can all jump off this rollercoaster ride with smiles soon enough.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Also, keep in mind that if Smash news is coming soon, it may be possible that insiders may leak FP7 rumours a few days early. So that’s a good thing as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom