• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's just a little over a week left if it turns out to be accurate regarding when the direct/presentation airs.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Cacomallow is real and Geno is in Smash. The "ARMS character" is probably going to be 4 alt costumes like Hero, with Spring-Man being the main one. Both the AT and Spirit rules are going to be destroyed, Sakurai is going to make some comment in his Famitsu column or an interview along the lines of "I never said they couldn't join the battle [laughs]."

Detractors are already preparing to type: "Sigh. For the last time, ARMS is an exception." Once this is also proven wrong, they will pretend that Geno was an obvious pick and will probably move on to hating Crash. They've never played a Crash Bandicoot game (having likely been born in the 21st century) and think someone like 2B makes for a better PlayStation "rep" because that's from a game they recognize, but will claim it's because they want more female reps (they don't actually care).

The Boomer squad will move on to Isaac, probably. We'll have to go through those same detractors trying to say he's yet another anime swordsman despite them being the largest supporters of more Fire Emblem characters, Sora, or 2B. They will try to say that the Dark Dawn remake rumours don't mean anything. Eventually we'll win that too--probably in Smash 6
The cycle will continue forever. (For the record my boomer pick is Bomberman) But hey, at least I’m gettin one small roundular guy who wears some blue so I call it a win.

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice
We can scratch the new amiibo thing off the list as the glitch was updated on the page. Thankfully, this is no detriment to Geno.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
legit question, why is this important?
this is mainly being talked about on discord but basically, Jeff Grubs is some kind of journalist and he apparently got a direct date right once or so i heard. Its nothing to take serious tho as were mostly just joking about it, he follows a super mario rpg bot account and i think he retweets and replies to several of them so we are just thinking about the possibility. So noone is really taking it super serious as its mostly just for fun.
So we had someone(Offbi) send a polite twitter dm to him about the matter so yeh

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Legit question, who do you only respond to my messages when you have something passive aggressive to say?

it’s not important, i’m posting it for the people who are curious on this thread
mostly because Im **** with words, my bad

thanks for answering, was just pretty curious

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
legit question, why is this important?
It’s most likely not. But when people see a credible insider who takes an interest in the same things as them, it’s definitely something that gets latched on to. Not to speak for anyone here, but I could see someone thinking that he would let the Geno for Smash supporters know if he wasn’t DLC because he likes the game as well. Also works vice versa. If he likes SMRPG and Geno, he may be more willing to drop hints that Geno is going to be revealed soon. Not saying that’s what is necessarily happening, but it’s possible that some feel that. Personally, I think it’s nothing noteworthy but it’s also a slow news cycle until next week at the very least.

Also, hi to the thread! Figured I’d pop back in considering Geno may be revealed soon if everything goes to plan. Still about 50/50 on Spring Man or Min Min as the ARMS rep. I do have confidence in Geno being 7 due to things noted in this thread. Just hope it’ll be it’s own Smash Direct or something like that. I don’t want to wake up and check Twitter seeing that Nintendo's account posted the next two characters. It’s a lot more fun (plus, you get reaction videos which is one of the highlights of getting heavily requested characters in). But the fact that we’re potentially a week away from Geno being confirmed is super exciting. Our day is at hand, just (hopefully) one final push!

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
this is mainly being talked about on discord but basically, Jeff Grubs is some kind of journalist and he apparently got a direct date right once or so i heard. Its nothing to take serious tho as were mostly just joking about it, he follows a super mario rpg bot account and i think he retweets and replies to several of them so we are just thinking about the possibility. So noone is really taking it super serious as its mostly just for fun.
So we had someone(Offbi) send a polite twitter dm to him about the matter so yeh
It’s most likely not. But when people see a credible insider who takes an interest in the same things as them, it’s definitely something that gets latched on to. Not to speak for anyone here, but I could see someone thinking that he would let the Geno for Smash supporters know if he wasn’t DLC because he likes the game as well. Also works vice versa. If he likes SMRPG and Geno, he may be more willing to drop hints that Geno is going to be revealed soon. Not saying that’s what is necessarily happening, but it’s possible that some feel that. Personally, I think it’s nothing noteworthy but it’s also a slow news cycle until next week at the very least.
I see, I was curious because I saw his name a lot here and thought he was some sorta big big thing

D

Deleted member

Hmm...did we discuss Geno's sleeping or unique animation after a shield break?
Geno sleeping has to be him down the floor similar to his sprite when he loses HP.

With a shield break or a final hit he does an animation inspired by Mallow's shocked Sprite.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
In speaking of CacoMallow, I was currently making a YouTube video about why I think the leak could still potentially be real, and I mentioned a point that I never really hear brought up in discussion. Its the fact that the profile icons on the bottom of the damage percentage shows the Miis wearing the outfits, when mods aren't able to do that. I don't hear this brought up but I think this is one major thing that could point to this leak potentially being real.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
In speaking of CacoMallow, I was currently making a YouTube video about why I think the leak could still potentially be real, and I mentioned a point that I never really hear brought up in discussion. Its the fact that the profile icons on the bottom of the damage percentage shows the Miis wearing the outfits, when mods aren't able to do that. I don't hear this brought up but I think this is one major thing that could point to this leak potentially being real.
I also think the Mallow hat also get's slept on, in terms of talking about it. I have not seen a mod hat that fits and an angle from the top of the head to the back of the head. Usually they (hat mods) just sit right on top of the Mii in a horizontal fit.

If anyone has done that, then I will disregard that point, but please someone show me an example! But I don't recall a mod that fits like that. Again, this "leak" (real or not) has a lot of fine details that others cannot seem to replicate. (But reasons they say its doable but cannot do it.)

Last edited:

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Cacomallow's a weird one tbh. I think there's a possible argument in that, if it IS real, they didn't take it down so people would forget about it and assume it was fake (since they knew the costumes would be a far way's out). Grinch Leak had a lot going for it, but there were concrete counter arguments to it (the backgrounds of the mural were wrong). Cacomallow has only had the "you CAN mod Mii costumes" argument, instead of anything particularly wrong with the models themselves. I think given how detail obsessed the Smash fandom is I'm kinda shocked not a single person has found a flaw with the video yet. I think if it is real and Nintendo took it down half of a year before it was intended to come out would basically just confirm it. If it's fake, obviously I doubt Nintendo would care. So, I'm kind of on the fence. I just want someone to come forward with a strike against the leak instead of just saying "anyone can do it"

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Big ol' post ahead:

So, this is the timeline we're likely looking at given we have enough to suggest that the development team works on three characters at a time:

December 2018: Plant, Joker, Hero

February 2019: Joker, Hero, Banjo

April 2019: Hero, Banjo, Terry

July 2019: Banjo, Terry, Byleth

September 2019: Terry, Byleth, 6

November 2019: Byleth, 6, 7

January 2020: 6, 7, 8

March 2020: 6 announced but not released, 7, 8, 9?

This is where things get log jammed a bit. By this model, it suggests that work on 8 probably started in January and 9 might have started in March/April but we have no real way to confirm this. What's notable about this is how much it lines up with the timeline of the Fighter's Pass and even Smash 4's DLC.

April 2015: Mewtwo released, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu being worked on.

April 2019: Joker released, Hero, Banjo, and Terry being worked on.

April 2020: heavily implied 6 was to originally release here, 7, 8, and 9 being worked on?

Of course, one main difference is that Smash 4 had a bonus character in the form of Mewtwo and the Fighter's Pass had Plant. Season 2 doesn't have a bonus character, at least not yet, but would likely come before 6 if it were to follow past precedent. But, hold up, Slender also reminded us the other day that the Fighter's Pass working model was actually this:

December 2018: Joker, Hero, and Banjo

Instead of this:

December 2018: Plant, Joker, and Hero

Why is this significant? While Banjo wasn't in the game's code yet, Plant was in the final debugging stages so was virtually "done", meaning they technically work on 4 characters at a time. Let's go back at the Fighter's Pass and apply this same principle. This:

July 2019: Banjo, Terry, and Byleth

Turns into this:

July 2019: Terry, Byleth, and 6

This lines up with our hypothesis that Season 2 began around E3 last year. Let's keep going:

September 2019: Byleth, 6, 7

November 2019: 6, 7, 8

January 2020: 6, 7, 8, 9?

March 2020: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10?

Hold up... Most of Season 2 being worked on by June 2020? That doesn't sound right and it likely isn't. Let's suppose Season 2 is getting a bonus character like Smash 4 and the Fighter's Pass and now see what it looks like:

September 2019: Byleth, B, 6

November 2019: B, 6, 7

January: 6, 7, 8

March: 7, 8, 9

Notice how under this model 6 disappears in March not because it has released but because it's gone into the final stages of debugging... Which Sakurai outright said happened in March. Under this model, B was supposed to release in April but didn't. Why does this sound familiar?

-Mewtwo to E3 2015 (about a two and a half month gap)

-Plant to Joker (about a two and a half month gap)

-Joker to E3 2019 (roughly a two month gap)

Coincidentally, the gap between Byleth's announcement and 6's announcement was, you guessed it, roughly two months. What's interesting about this is that this means that 6 is being released on its intended schedule and that B was the one that was held back. Coincidentally, this also lines up with our Polish Amiibo leak that says there's going to be a major Smash rerelease in September. Mid June to September? A little more than two months, once again showing us a time gap that regularly occured not only in the Fighter's Pass but also Smash 4.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
That's because mods are cabale of doing that, too.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Cacomallow is real and Geno is in Smash. The "ARMS character" is probably going to be 4 alt costumes like Hero, with Spring-Man being the main one. Both the AT and Spirit rules are going to be destroyed, Sakurai is going to make some comment in his Famitsu column or an interview along the lines of "I never said they couldn't join the battle [laughs]."

Detractors are already preparing to type: "Sigh. For the last time, ARMS is an exception." Once this is also proven wrong, they will pretend that Geno was an obvious pick and will probably move on to hating Crash. They've never played a Crash Bandicoot game (having likely been born in the 21st century) and think someone like 2B makes for a better PlayStation "rep" because that's from a game they recognize, but will claim it's because they want more female reps (they don't actually care).

The Boomer squad will move on to Isaac, probably. We'll have to go through those same detractors trying to say he's yet another anime swordsman despite them being the largest supporters of more Fire Emblem characters, Sora, or 2B. Eventually we'll win that too--probably in Smash 6
All of this. I feel all of this. Jesus Christ.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I also think the Mallow hat also get's slept on, in terms of talking about it. I have not seen a mod hat that fits and an angle from the top of the head to the back of the head. Usually they (hat mods) just sit right on top of the Mii in a horizontal fit.

If anyone has done that, then I will disregard that point, but please someone show me an example! But I don't recall a mod that fits like that. Again, this "leak" (real or not) has a lot of fine details that others cannot seem to replicate. (But reasons they say its doable but cannot do it.)
Agreed. Not only that but that hat really looks official and in much better quality then any mod we have ever seen.

That's because mods are cabale of doing that, too.
I'm not sure what you mean. This footage I feel proves my point as the icons on the bottom doesn't show the Miis wearing the hats.

Edit: Nevermind I just realized the Mii is wearing the hat. Never noticed that until now.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Geno sleeping has to be him down the floor similar to his sprite when he loses HP.

With a shield break or a final hit he does an animation inspired by Mallow's shocked Sprite.
Geno Sleeping could also just be him hunched over like in Mario RPG.
sleep.PNG

Firox

Smash Master

The Boomer squad will move on to Isaac, probably. We'll have to go through those same detractors trying to say he's yet another anime swordsman despite them being the largest supporters of more Fire Emblem characters, Sora, or 2B. Eventually we'll win that too--probably in Smash 6
"Amazing. Every word of what you just said....was wrong right."

-Luke Skywalker (the Snyder cut)

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Big ol' post ahead:

So, this is the timeline we're likely looking at given we have enough to suggest that the development team works on three characters at a time:

This is where things get log jammed a bit. By this model, it suggests that work on 8 probably started in January and 9 might have started in March/April but we have no real way to confirm this. What's notable about this is how much it lines up with the timeline of the Fighter's Pass and even Smash 4's DLC.

April 2020: heavily implied 6 was to originally release here, 7, 8, and 9 being worked on?

Of course, one main difference is that Smash 4 had a bonus character in the form of Mewtwo and the Fighter's Pass had Plant. Season 2 doesn't have a bonus character, at least not yet, but would likely come before 6 if it were to follow past precedent. But, hold up, Slender also reminded us the other day that the Fighter's Pass working model was actually this:

Instead of this:

Why is this significant? While Banjo wasn't in the game's code yet, Plant was in the final debugging stages so was virtually "done", meaning they technically work on 4 characters at a time. Let's go back at the Fighter's Pass and apply this same principle. This:

Turns into this:

This lines up with our hypothesis that Season 2 began around E3 last year. Let's keep going:

Hold up... Most of Season 2 being worked on by June 2020? That doesn't sound right and it likely isn't. Let's suppose Season 2 is getting a bonus character like Smash 4 and the Fighter's Pass and now see what it looks like:

Notice how under this model 6 disappears in March not because it has released but because it's gone into the final stages of debugging... Which Sakurai outright said happened in March. Under this model, B was supposed to release in April but didn't. Why does this sound familiar?

Coincidentally, the gap between Byleth's announcement and 6's announcement was, you guessed it, roughly two months. What's interesting about this is that this means that 6 is being released on its intended schedule and that B was the one that was held back. Coincidentally, this also lines up with our Polish Amiibo leak that says there's going to be a major Smash rerelease in September. Mid June to September? A little more than two months, once again showing us a time gap that regularly occured not only in the Fighter's Pass but also Smash 4.
I still don't really understand where this confidence in a bonus character comes from. May that have been planned at one point? Maybe, Sakurai said he felt that one or two extra characters would have been enough, so clearly he had ideas for who they might be, but doesn't it make much more sense for them to just integrate whatever they initially planned into the pass itself once Nintendo ordered another full season?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
"How should Geno look when he's asleep?"

I just want the nose bubbles, damnit! That's honestly one of my favorite aesthetic touches in SMRPG, that and people Family Guy style faceplanting when someone says something stupid or cringey.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Big ol' post ahead:

Instead of this:

Turns into this:

With these timelines, it's pretty hard to call it a coincidence

MisterMike

Smash Champion
In terms of his sleep and shield break animations, I think they should be:
  1. His sleeping animation during battle, complete with nose bubble.
  2. His holding his head animation from when he first wakes up and slams into the wall.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
pinshadow pinshadow Outside of insider stuff, I'll summarize:

-Both Smash 4 and the Fighter's Pass beginning with a bonus character.

-The 16 dummy (Thicc) slots in the game's code in January 2019. Smash 4 filled all its dummy slots so Ultimate could potentially do the same. Coincidentally, the game hard crashes when you try to hack more than this into the game.

-Based on that timeline I posted, work began on Season 2 last June/July and it's almost been a year and we've seen literally nothing of it. Keep in mind that DLC was basically thrown at Sakurai like a wet bag of potatoes around Spring 2018 and they still managed to reveal Plant and Joker by the end of the year. By these metrics, the Fighter's Pass had two characters totally and completely done by its one year anniversary of starting. Season 2 doesn't even have a single character released yet.

-Sakurai said that post pass DLC was originally going to be one or two characters. Dollars to donuts that one of those bonus characters wasn't ARMS if it was meant as curtain call consolation prizes. Sakurai has also mentioned that he very rarely totally scraps characters once he starts seriously working on them, meaning there's a good chance that both are still eventually coming, whether they were converted into full ass packs or not.

-Because every time I post a new theory, one of my critics goes into an uncontrollable sneezing fit .

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Enigma735 Enigma735 , if you want to make a video, look into my Mallow hat thing about the way it "fits" on the Mii head. The hat's I've seen modded fit exactly on top, in which the "leak" hat fits on diagonally. I haven't seen other hats do it or any mods that replicate that. Something interesting to look into.

MattX20

Smash Hero

-The 16 dummy (Thicc) slots in the game's code in January 2019. Smash 4 filled all its dummy slots so Ultimate could potentially do the same. Coincidentally, the game hard crashes when you try to hack more than this into the game.

-Based on that timeline I posted, work began on Season 2 last June/July and it's almost been a year and we've seen literally nothing of it. Keep in mind that DLC was basically thrown at Sakurai like a wet bag of potatoes around Spring 2018 and they still managed to reveal Plant and Joker by the end of the year. By these metrics, the Fighter's Pass had two characters totally and completely done by its one year anniversary of starting. Season 2 doesn't even have a single character released yet.

-Sakurai said that post pass DLC was originally going to be one or two characters. Dollars to donuts that one of those bonus characters wasn't ARMS if it was meant as curtain call consolation prizes. Sakurai has also mentioned that he very rarely totally scraps characters once he starts seriously working on them, meaning there's a good chance that both are still eventually coming, whether they were converted into full ass packs or not.

-Because every time I post a new theory, one of my critics goes into an uncontrollable sneezing fit .
The theories have some merit to them and it's going to be interesting to how speculation is affected after the Smash direct/presentation

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I will admit I may be reaching with this one, but I do think their is a slight possibility that Jeff Grubb could be teasing Geno in Smash. Sure, he may just love the game and he is just retweeting quotes from that game, but with how Nintendo is handling leaks and being much more strict with that information, I think its very possible Jeff could be teasing this in a very "not so obvious" way, and especially with all the signs and hints pointing towards Geno, I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff is teasing something.

Again, I will completely admit I am reaching, but its still a possibility nonetheless.

Droodle

Smash Lord

Uhhh, isn't Crash sort of a "zoomer" pick now though? The most popular game in the series is N' Sane Trilogy, which literally came out in 2017 and sold like 10mil+. Before that Crash was pretty inactive, and arguably Spyro was slightly more popular due to spin-offs like Skylanders. It wasn't until N' Sane Trilogy that Crash also began to have a more vocal fanbase for Smash. The Uncharted 4 Cameo definitely helped too. Even then 1996 isn't "that" boomer.

Isaac I sort of get as a "boomer" pick, in terms of the Smash fanbase considering that his last major game was in 2003 (DD does not count). But like Crash, Golden Sun in and of itself isn't an extremely "boomer" series.

Meanwhile truly enlightened taste is rooting for super oldschool/iconic characters, even if they may not be popular within the community. An example of this would be supporting Terry Bogard before he was leaked for Smash Ultimate. Other characters that follow up on a similar level are Ryu Hayabusa, Adol Christin, Bub and Bob, Black Mage, and of course Ecco the Dolphin. Those people have supreme taste because they don't follow bandwagons, they support who they want, when they want.

This post is half ironic and half serious.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I will admit I may be reaching with this one, but I do think their is a slight possibility that Jeff Grubb could be teasing Geno in Smash. Sure, he may just love the game and he is just retweeting quotes from that game, but with how Nintendo is handling leaks and being much more strict with that information, I think its very possible Jeff could be teasing this in a very "not so obvious" way, and especially with all the signs and hints pointing towards Geno, I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff is teasing something.

Again, I will completely admit I am reaching, but its still a possibility nonetheless.
Definitely could be. It seems way too suspect that this is now ongoing and not just one tweet period.

Regarding CM, it really does come down to "is it real because Nintendo/Co didn't take it down".

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Uhhh, isn't Crash sort of a "zoomer" pick now though? The most popular game in the series is N' Sane Trilogy, which literally came out in 2017 and sold like 10mil+. Before that Crash was pretty inactive, and arguably Spyro was slightly more popular due to spin-offs like Skylanders. It wasn't until N' Sane Trilogy that Crash also began to have a more vocal fanbase for Smash. The Uncharted 4 Cameo definitely helped too. Even then 1996 isn't "that" boomer.

Isaac I sort of get as a "boomer" pick, in terms of the Smash fanbase considering that his last major game was in 2003 (DD does not count). But like Crash, Golden Sun in and of itself isn't an extremely "boomer" series.

Meanwhile truly enlightened taste is rooting for super oldschool/iconic characters, even if they may not be popular within the community. An example of this would be supporting Terry Bogard before he was leaked for Smash Ultimate. Other characters that follow up on a similar level are Ryu Hayabusa, Adol Christin, Bub and Bob, Black Mage, and of course Ecco the Dolphin. Those people have supreme taste because they don't follow bandwagons, they support who they want, when they want.

This post is half ironic and half serious.
Having a hard time finding anything in this post to be serious let alone half of it

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Except that everything seems to indicate that Plant was meant as base-game and was just moved to be a bonus, christ he got an amiibo before most of the base-game newcomers did. And really, going off the idea that DLC was originally pitched in Spring 2018 and Joker took approximentally one year to release, then if we go off the logic Season 2/more DLC was first seriously pitched around the same time in Spring 2019, doesn't everything seem on track given the ARMS character was originally meant to be released around April instead and only got delayed to June due to development issues?

Based on your own logic they never planned to fill all 16 dummy slots, given that Sakurai felt they would be ok with just the Pass and one or two bonuses, they were always just placeholders for what they MIGHT do.

Last edited:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
"How should Geno look when he's asleep?"

I just want the nose bubbles, damnit! That's honestly one of my favorite aesthetic touches in SMRPG, that and people Family Guy style faceplanting when someone says something stupid or cringey.
I really miss the old animation tropes like these. Valentina's Noblewoman Laugh is also a really great touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom