• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So what do you think it may be?
Well, I think we'll potentially have a better idea given how next week goes. I've got my eye on June 4th because, depending on what third parties pop up at Sony's presentation, I think we'll have a better idea of what could show up in Nintendo's camp the probable week after.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
2006- Third party characters are joining Smash. Holy ****!

2013- Megaman's joining Smash. Holy ****!

2014- Pac-Man's joining Smash. Holy ****!

2015- Ryu's joining Smash. Holy ****!

2018- Every character ever in Smash is coming back. Holy ****!

2019- A Microsoft character is joining Smash. Holy ****!

2020- ???
So... maybe something along the lines of:

2020 (a) - Crash Bandicoot is joining Smash. Holy ****! (The most expected, imo)

2020 (b) - Lara Croft is joining Smash. Holy ****! (The sleeper hit, imo)

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
The cacomallow leak has been out for so long I don't see how the costumes wouldn't be unveiled at the next smash direct, I just hope the Mallow costume appears during the costume presentation along Mario Peach and Bowser and then ****ing playable Geno appears and you have Sakurai with that big ass grin that means everything.

Or Sakurai got angry at the leak and decided to cancel Doomguy and Geno for smash

Last edited by a moderator:

Griselda

Smash Lord
If Geno gets costumed without even an upgrade in the next Smash direct, I just had the thought that I'm not sure what Sakurai and Nintendo could do to regain my trust (and my money). I refuse to buy the pass until I know either everyone that's in it, or that Geno's in it. I haven't even gotten the first one.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Well, I think we'll potentially have a better idea given how next week goes. I've got my eye on June 4th because, depending on what third parties pop up at Sony's presentation, I think we'll have a better idea of what could show up in Nintendo's camp the probable week after.
That's fair, though now with the Nintendo Online Tournment thing I think it's plausible we might actually end up waiting until the third week. Given it happens every weekend from now until the 21st we aren't going to get an update to the game until the last week of the month. Obviously I highly doubt we are going to need to wait until then for he reveal, given they seem to be moving away from shadowdropped releases and announcing stuff a couple weeks in advance like they did with Byleth.

The cacomallow leak has been out for so long I don't see how the costumes wouldn't be unveiled at the next smash direct, I just hope the Mallow costume appears during the costume presentation along Mario Peach and Bowser and then ****ing playable Geno appears and you have Sakurai with that big ass grin that means everything.
Pretty much, TBH I'm mostly over Cacomallow because regardless of whether it's real or fake I think Doomguy isn't getting in (Sakurai/Nintendo would have 100% talked with Id about it, when they went for Banjo it was through Rare first and foremost, not Microsoft, especially with western characters it's clear Sakurai likes working with the teams who work on the games) and Geno has far more going for him outside of it.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Just to put the final nail in the coffin, Papa confirmed that while he was making a vid regarding it, Tansut has confirmed the TWEWY stuff was NOT Smash related. So that's that.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Just to put the final nail in the coffin, Papa confirmed that while he was making a vid regarding it, Tansut has confirmed the TWEWY stuff was NOT Smash related. So that's that.
I saw the entire video but did not read the tweet. Thank god. I wouldn't mind Neku in Smash but I would be so disappointed if Geno doesn't get included, especially with all the supposed evidence in his favor

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Everyone freaking out over TWEWY and I'm just like "...who? What?".

Also don't worry guys, Geno's coming. 2 weeks, here we gooooooooooooo

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Here is the photo
EZOK5NSWoAAH3Ri.png

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I should reiterate what I said above in a "less toxic manner".

I would be cool with Neku. TWEWY is a series that [i believe?] have been Nintendo exclusive. TWEWY definitely would deserve some sort of representation in Smash. The thing is, if Neku was included, I feel like that is a bad sign for just how much Square cares about Geno. Cloud makes sense because, its Cloud, and Final Fantasy literally is one of the most iconic RPG franchises, and same with Dragon Quest. Those two were included because of their "iconic-ness". If Neku were to be the third Square Enix rep, then that would leave me worrysome. Geno is clearly a popular request and I feel like Square should know this, as they have let Nintendo make a Mii Outfit for him in Sm4sh, and to get rejected a third time for a lesser known series that isn't very popular in Smash speculation will leave a bad taste in my mouth.

But I do think Geno will get included though. Fan demand has clearly been loud enough to catch the attention of Sakurai, Square seems to be okay with Nintendo using him, and with all the evidence circulating around Geno, I just think its time.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Also I know this is very OT (PapaGenos brought it up in his video), but Porky missing is so freaking weird, considering if he was planned for DLC, why wasn't he anywhere in FP1? Unless he was one of the supposed post-FP1 bonuses, it's weird that he's still nowhere in the game. Unless they pull out a Mother spirit event, I think Porky's got a very good shot of being playable... y'know for the Geno fans in here who are also Mother fans. I don't have strong ties to the Mother series, but I'd absolutely be down for it.
Outside of the implication of the Absolutely Safe Capsule spirit of course.
I'm just starting to wonder if we're gonna get a lot more last-minute Nintendo characters added in, bonuses or not. Definitely expecting a few third-parties, but we could be in for a very first-party heavy DLC cycle, especially if there's bonuses.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Also I know this is very OT (PapaGenos brought it up in his video), but Porky missing is so freaking weird, considering if he was planned for DLC, why wasn't he anywhere in FP1? Unless he was one of the supposed post-FP1 bonuses, it's weird that he's still nowhere in the game. Unless they pull out a Mother spirit event, I think Porky's got a very good shot of being playable... y'know for the Geno fans in here who are also Mother fans. I don't have strong ties to the Mother series, but I'd absolutely be down for it.
Outside of the implication of the Absolutely Safe Capsule spirit of course.
I'm just starting to wonder if we're gonna get a lot more last-minute Nintendo characters added in, bonuses or not. Definitely expecting a few third-parties, but we could be in for a very first-party heavy DLC cycle, especially if there's bonuses.
Gonna be blunt here, I think more Mother representation is the last thing Smash needs. Christ, there are more Mother stages in Smash Ultimate than Mother games in general.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Gonna be blunt here, I think more Mother representation is the last thing Smash needs. Christ, there are more Mother stages in Smash Ultimate than Mother games in general.
Which is totally fine, it just really makes me think when Porky is strangely missing when he's been quite a part of Smash for awhile now. Regardless though, that's not what's important, because this is the Geno thread, and Geno's coming down from Star Road in 2 weeks. ;)

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
In regards to Porky, I don't really think he will be playable, but like Papa said, I think Porky may get added eventually with some Spirit event or even his boss returning from Brawl. I don't know, but I just don't think we are in for another EarthBound\Mother character, as cool as that would be.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, I feel like Porky is just a case of them simply making an error on the Absolute Safety Capsule. It's the empty one, but they probably didn't know that.

Considering they did a Ness' Dad joke by using a phone, object jokes make sense.

And they also didn't even find the right Masked Man sprite, using fanart. It's safe to say they aren't perfect.

Droodle

Smash Lord
As a Neku fan, I see TWEWY getting a sequel as an absolute win. That means that Neku officially has a greater then 0% chance of getting into Smash. Probably the only Square character I'd take over Geno. At worst, TWEWY gets a sequel; it's a win-win situation where there's no way I get disappointed. Unless its' another port (terrifying flashbacks)

In regards to Porky, I don't really think he will be playable, but like Papa said, I think Porky may get added eventually with some Spirit event or even his boss returning from Brawl. I don't know, but I just don't think we are in for another EarthBound\Mother character, as cool as that would be.
Yeah, I think this is pretty likely. With the upcoming MOTHER content slated for Japan later this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they release a MOTHER spirit event to celebrate that content. Or who knows maybe we will get Porky and Sylux as DLC fighters.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t think Porky’s missing spirit really means anything.

I just think it sucks he has no physical appearance at all in this game; no spirit, no AT, no nothing. The stage and his theme are still there, but not him, unless you want to argue he’s in the Monotoli helicopter even though a driver wasn’t modeled for it I’m pretty sure, or argue he’s in the ASC spirit even though they could’ve given us a spirit of his EarthBound appearance and the ASC has nothing saying he’s still inside (if it’s a joke, it would be about how Galeem just set him free, missing that he only took the ASC, meaning Porky still isn’t present and even if so and it’s a joke about not being “absolutely safe” afterall we still don’t get to see him but I’ll admit that’s still a funny joke).

I hope he’s one of the DLC alongside Geno, but I honestly doubt it as much as I would love his inclusion since he’s also among my most-wanted.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Considering they did a Ness' Dad joke by using a phone, object jokes make sense.
It's a half-joke, considering he literally never once appears in the game (Earthbound/M2). What else would they use for Ness's Dad? Porky at least does exist in the series, so it's just weird to see his spirit missing entirely (outside of ASC). Playable, spirit, costume, whatever, I can't help but feel there's at least *something* coming for him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's a half-joke, considering he literally never once appears in the game (Earthbound/M2). What else would they use for Ness's Dad? Porky at least does exist in the series, so it's just weird to see his spirit missing entirely (outside of ASC). Playable, spirit, costume, whatever, I can't help but feel there's at least *something* coming for him.
That's the thing. That might literally be his spirit, and they just used the wrong version of the sprite but never figured it out. That's a case where people need to really point it out.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
If Geno gets costumed without even an upgrade in the next Smash direct, I just had the thought that I'm not sure what Sakurai and Nintendo could do to regain my trust (and my money). I refuse to buy the pass until I know either everyone that's in it, or that Geno's in it. I haven't even gotten the first one.
Why are you sounding like they betrayed you?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Watching PapaGenos' latest video, I saw an image that reminded me that there was "something" in KH 3 that thinking back on it now, the recent official TWEWY Anime Expo poster makes sense. :eek: I'm getting the feeling that Square Enix might have been working on new TWEWY content for quite some time.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
That video actually got me thinking about new Earthbound Spirits they could add to Ultimate.
- Porky Minch (Earthbound) -
Pokey.png
(Blue Overalls Wario on Fourside)
{The enemy has increased move speed, The enemy tends to avoid conflict}
[Support Spirit, 3 slot, *, Can Be Enhanced at Lv. 99]

- Porky Minch (Mother 3) -
PorkyBrawlArtwork.jpg
[Primary Attack Spirit, 2 slot, ***, Metal and Giant]

- Giygas (Earthbound Beginnings) -
Giegue.png

(Blue Mewtwo on Find Mii Omega)
{Gravity is low, You'll occasionally take sudden damage}
[Primary Defense Spirit, 2 slot, ***, Can Be Enhanced at Lv. 99]

- Giygas (Earthbound) -
Giygas.png
[Primary Attack Spirit, 1 slot, ****, Metal and Giant]

- Pigmask -
Pigmask.png

(4 Pink King K. Rools on New Pork City Battlefield)
{Defeat an army of fighters, The enemy starts the battle with an enhanced Super Scope}
[Primary Attack Spirit, 2 slot, **, Super Scope Equipped]

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
It bothers me how Melee had 2 Mother Stages while Wario Land had no ****ing stage in Brawl or Smash 4, and there was no excuse.

Everyone complains about FE overrepresentation in Smash (and i am shamelessly one of them) but one could argue Mother itself gets way too much credit in Smash while other more successful franchises like Golden Sun and Rythm Heaven, both series that are longer and didn't need Smash in order to be localized (only the first GBA RH wasn't released outside of Japan) get screwed over.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
It bothers me how Melee had 2 Mother Stages while Wario Land had no ****ing stage in Brawl or Smash 4, and there was no excuse.

Everyone complains about FE overrepresentation in Smash (and i am shamelessly one of them) but one could argue Mother itself gets way too much credit in Smash while other more successful franchises like Golden Sun and Rythm Heaven, both series that are longer and didn't need Smash in order to be localized (only the first GBA RH wasn't released outside of Japan) get screwed over.
There was a WarioWare stage in Brawl, wasn’t there?

I certainly don’t think Earthbound is over represented in the 5 Smash Bros games. 2 characters and 4(?) stages is pretty par for the course. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
There was a WarioWare stage in Brawl, wasn’t there?
They were talking about Wario Land, the platformers, not WarioWare, the rapid-fire minigame collection. Wario Land's been ignored in Smash for whatever reason - no stages come from those games, even though as side-scrolling platformers, it would be a natural fit, and only a single song (Ruins, from Wario Land: Shake It).

I could probably go on a whole rant about how annoying it is that the Wario Land games have been ignored in Smash for no apparent reason (Wario Land 2 was one of the first games that I played, along with Mario RPG, Banjo-Kazooie, and Kirby Super Star, so it's especially irritating), but I'd rather not risk derailing the thread. Glad that Kirby Super Star and Banjo-Kazooie have gotten plenty of content (even if I wish that non-Sakurai Kirby games would get some love), and here's hoping that we get plenty for Mario RPG.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
That video actually got me thinking about new Earthbound Spirits they could add to Ultimate.
- Porky Minch (Earthbound) -
View attachment 273167
(Blue Overalls Wario on Fourside)
{The enemy has increased move speed, The enemy tends to avoid conflict}
[Support Spirit, 3 slot, *, Can Be Enhanced at Lv. 99]

- Porky Minch (Mother 3) -
View attachment 273168
[Primary Attack Spirit, 2 slot, ***, Metal and Giant]

- Giygas (Earthbound Beginnings) -
View attachment 273169
(Blue Mewtwo on Find Mii Omega)
{Gravity is low, You'll occasionally take sudden damage}
[Primary Defense Spirit, 2 slot, ***, Can Be Enhanced at Lv. 99]

- Giygas (Earthbound) -
View attachment 273170
[Primary Attack Spirit, 1 slot, ****, Metal and Giant]

- Pigmask -
View attachment 273173
(4 Pink King K. Rools on New Pork City Battlefield)
{Defeat an army of fighters, The enemy starts the battle with an enhanced Super Scope}
[Primary Attack Spirit, 2 slot, **, Super Scope Equipped]
I never played EarthBound, but now I could totally see a new Spirit Event for it if Nintendo still wants to celebrate EarthBound's 30TH anniversary by adding back the villain characters. I didn't even realize Giygas isn't a Spirit, which is quite strange as well.
Tansut hasn't hinted at anything towards Geno that would relate to us currently, but he is a Geno fan!

Source
Thats cool that Tansut is a Geno supporter like the rest of us. Hopefully soon he will get his wish. :4pacman:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It will be June soon. Hopefully, this will be well worth the wait for those character reveals.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Why are you sounding like they betrayed you?
Because.. they kinda have? Though that's putting it a bit too dramatically, I think. It's obviously not a conscious decision on their part to single me out (because thinking that would be silly) but Nintendo as a whole has been drifting in a direction I don't really prefer for about a decade at this point. Zelda and Paper Mario in particular. So I was just pointing out that if the character I most want in Smash isn't in the pass, they'd need to throw some sort of curve ball and give me someone else I want for me to be willing to jump on spending $30 on DLC. No doom and gloom or feeling that Nintendo hates me or anything, just saying that Geno is the one I'd be willing to drop $30 on, and otherwise it'd probably just be for completion's sake.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I wonder if they're just pulling at strings to promote Origami King but I find it kind of interesting that they explicitly pointed out the Samus reference today. Not the fact that Mario was in a room with several hats but about the helmet he was wearing specifically. It's probably just a coincidence but it falls in line with that rumored Metroid stuff, especially since someone in the comments pointed out he's only moving left and right, like a 2D Metroid game.
Screenshot_20200530-001008.png

Conspiracy theory, lol. Can I get a Fatman conspiracy approval stamp now?

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Because.. they kinda have? Though that's putting it a bit too dramatically, I think. It's obviously not a conscious decision on their part to single me out (because thinking that would be silly) but Nintendo as a whole has been drifting in a direction I don't really prefer for about a decade at this point. Zelda and Paper Mario in particular. So I was just pointing out that if the character I most want in Smash isn't in the pass, they'd need to throw some sort of curve ball and give me someone else I want for me to be willing to jump on spending $30 on DLC. No doom and gloom or feeling that Nintendo hates me or anything, just saying that Geno is the one I'd be willing to drop $30 on, and otherwise it'd probably just be for completion's sake.
they cant betray you if they havent promised you anything. You would be moreso extremely disappointed, but certainly not betrayed

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Which is why 'betrayed' isn't the word I actually used, myself?
but then why would you say "They kinda did" If you didnt mean betrayed?

anyway, I guess I see where you are coming from but thats the good thing about these fighter pass, you dont have to buy them all, well, unless you are a completionist like ya said. Me, I just buy what I like and skip what I dont. Tho if you dont like anything on the pass, then thats a shame.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Yeah , I don't want to sound like some kind of anti-smash dude , but I don't recommend spending 30 bucks on FP2 , unless you just want a full roster.
Spending that much money on what is a mystery box , is just a very risky buy overall...

Yeah , you'll spend like , 5 or 6 less dollars , so that's basically a free character. But it's only worth it if you like at least 5 characters out of 6.

Once again , I'm not saying this out of negativity , but I'm sure I'm not the only one who ended up liking only one or two DLC characters , and probably wouldn't play the rest for more than 2/3 matches. Of course , anyone is free to spend their money like they want.

---

You know , the more I think about it , and the more I'm anticipating a ARMS only Smash reveal. I don't know how they would handle the reveal , but if it's a Sakurai presentation... We never got two characters revealed. Of course , Sakurai could just say "Here's 2 characters lol" because he clearly doesn't care about patterns...
But on the other side , I'm a bit scared that they wouldn't want to overshadow that ARMS rep. Let's be honest , if we get Geno a FP7 , I'm sure that the vast majority of us would completely forget about the ARMS character. But this issue could also be played around by simply releasing FP7 later than ARMS , but who know.

In any case , June is right around the corner. So we're going to know pretty soon. I'll probably take a break from this thread , I have quite some games to finish , and the wait is honestly killing me , I need to relax lol.
Anyway , I wish luck to all of you.
Geno smile.png

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Yeah , I don't want to sound like some kind of anti-smash dude , but I don't recommend spending 30 bucks on FP2 , unless you just want a full roster.
Spending that much money on what is a mystery box , is just a very risky buy overall...

Yeah , you'll spend like , 5 or 6 less dollars , so that's basically a free character. But it's only worth it if you like at least 5 characters out of 6.

Once again , I'm not saying this out of negativity , but I'm sure I'm not the only one who ended up liking only one or two DLC characters , and probably wouldn't play the rest for more than 2/3 matches. Of course , anyone is free to spend their money like they want.
It's more or less that Sakurai deserves the extrra money, at least from my POV. Even though I have no ties to Joker/Persona, Hero/DQ (DQ11 was pretty cool, still gotta finish), Terry/FF/KoF, nor Byleth (even though I like FE/3H, Byleth is a big dumb), all the characters still play really well. Even if we get a bad (i.e., unwanted) ARMS rep, Urshifu, and 4 more characters I really don't want to see, I have faith that Sakurai will make them unique and hopefully fun to play. I'll still be miffed as hell at Nintendo, but I'm supporting Sakurai and his team, not Nintendo at that point (even though they obviously do get a cut), and I won't let the crappiness of Nintendo not picking Geno get in the way of supporting the people who do deserve the extra paycheck. Now if Sakurai was the one calling the shots, much different story, but the fact is he's not; he's just the one who makes the characters movesets and stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom