• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Another reason I haven't fully let go of Paraleak is because of the C&D that Paragon got over it and, yes, I've talked to them personally about this topic. When I look at the timeline, Hero had technically leaked in a major way twice (Seven Squares and the December 2018 datamine), insiders and retailers were starting to tease Banjo at that point, whichs means the C&D pertained to either the Undertale stuff or Waluigi. When the Seven Squares happened, Square Enix was the one that went on the legal rampage, not Nintendo. Would Nintendo have legal precedent for the Undertale stuff despite the fact that it's not one of their IPs? Again, we saw this earlier this year when the Paper Mario and Metroid leak stories got big and Zippo and Sabi found themselves in hot water very quickly. Same thing with the Pokemon video leaks last fall that caused the Pokemon Company to go out and legally eviscerate a number of people over it. It begs the question of why they went after Paragon so hard. It could have just been because of how close it was to E3 and they wanted to make an example of him but that feels like a waste of legal resources.
It's interesting no matter the outcome

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the topic of leaks and rumors that take a long time to pan out, this just dropped:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3616...metroid-prime-trilogy-was-coming-to-switch-ba

A Swedish retailer is now claiming the Metroid Prime Trilogy is coming soon. Normally I would disregard this because bogus listings are practically an E3 tradition but the fact that they claim they were originally predicting it to be announced at the 2018 VGAs for an early 2019 release definitely catches my interest because, if you all remember, Nintendo itself hard baited its employees to believe this too as me and Sabi reported on back then. I'm really incredulous about the mid June drop but we'll see.

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
If someone difinitively knew genos fate would you be cryptic or dead silent? I’ve asked myself this question a bunch and I’m not sure. I’d probably just drop a one liner 5 minutes before The direct.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
On the topic of leaks and rumors that take a long time to pan out, this just dropped:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3616...metroid-prime-trilogy-was-coming-to-switch-ba

A Swedish retailer is now claiming the Metroid Prime Trilogy is coming soon. Normally I would disregard this because bogus listings are practically an E3 tradition but the fact that they claim they were originally predicting it to be announced at the 2018 VGAs for an early 2019 release definitely catches my interest because, if you all remember, Nintendo itself hard baited its employees to believe this too as me and Sabi reported on back then. I'm really incredulous about the mid June drop but we'll see.
This is interesting; I remember NateDrake and I think maybe Spawn Wave seeming to predict or flat-out say Metroid Prime Trilogy was going to be at the 2018 VGAs, too.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

And as to a defense for the timing discrepancy, whose to say its only Metroid Prime 4 that ran into behind the scene issues?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
And as to a defense for the timing discrepancy, whose to say its only Metroid Prime 4 that ran into behind the scene issues?
The ongoing theory is that Nintendo slammed on the brakes because Prime 4's development was going about as well trying to quietly get a baby grand piano down a flight of stairs and they wanted the trilogy to be a precursor. Now that we have the new Metroid rumors, there's the prospect that Nintendo simply repurposed it to hype up the obvious upcoming Metroid X Buzz Light-year of Star Command game instead, seeing how Prime 4's development is apparently still an ongoing rollercoaster of **** and probably going to flat out miss 2020.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The ongoing theory is that Nintendo slammed on the brakes because Prime 4's development was going about as well trying to quietly get a baby grand piano down a flight of stairs and they wanted the trilogy to be a precursor. Now that we have the new Metroid rumors, there's the prospect that Nintendo simply repurposed it to hype up the obvious upcoming Metroid X Buzz Light-year of Star Command game instead, seeing how Prime 4's development is apparently still an ongoing rollercoaster of **** and probably going to flat out miss 2020.
2020's been rough on a lot of game companies

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
would not be surprised at all if springman and/or an ARMS spirit is selected to be the character, and sakurai does make a point of saying "assist trophies and spirits are in game again, such as..." and then cues up Waluigi

If Waluigi gets in, I would consider Geno dead in the water, but I would live. Waluigi's also a perfectly great addition

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
would not be surprised at all if springman and/or an ARMS spirit is selected to be the character, and sakurai does make a point of saying "assist trophies and spirits are in game again, such as..." and then cues up Waluigi

If Waluigi gets in, I would consider Geno dead in the water, but I would live. Waluigi's also a perfectly great addition
Yeah, if we get a Waluigi or Paper Mario reveal, then I think it's time to pack it in. I don't see us getting more than one Mario character in this pass, especially since we already got Piranha Plant and Daisy.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I'm kinda thinking this too because my theory for the longest time has been Season 2 will "make an example of" at least one spirit, a costume, and an assist trophy before it's done. Sakurai revealing Springman/Min-Min and then metaphorically pelvic thrusting (maybe literally if we're lucky) at the camera and then revealing Waluigi/Geno would be right up his alley.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
2020's been rough on a lot of game companies
I think everyone will agree that 2020 can go to hell. There will be much rejoicing Dec 31 11:59:59PM.

And if Geno comes this year, we treat him as a 2019 addition since it takes them a year to make a character.

Yeah, if we get a Waluigi or Paper Mario reveal, then I think it's time to pack it in. I don't see us getting more than one Mario character in this pass, especially since we already got Piranha Plant and Daisy.
Hey, if FE can bump up their roster 300% within one Smash game, I don't see why the FACE OF VIDEO GAMES be exempted from more than one character.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I was about to say, by who's rules is it impossible to get Waluigi and Geno as DLC? Nintendo can do whatever the heck they want. It doesn't matter how many characters the fans think a franchise should get, if they wanted, Nintendo could make the remaining pass slots nothing but Mario characters with Waluigi, Geno, Paper Mario, Fawful, and Goomba. Would it be bs? Heck yeah it would, but just because Paper Mario or Waluigi shows up (especially in a hypothetical bonus fighter scenario), that doesn't mean Geno isn't coming.

Also, Fatman, opinions on this idea?
What if Fighter 11 was a big name first party character? I'm not talking Sora or Master Chief big but a character nobody in the fandom would expect that would be a complete 360 of everything the fans have come to expect? It's no Waluigi but I bet very few people would be disappointed by it.
Crazy_Hand_SSBU.png

He has a series logo and everything and they even gave him a playable moveset in WoL, sort of.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I think everyone will agree that 2020 can go to hell. There will be much rejoicing Dec 31 11:59:59PM.

And if Geno comes this year, we treat him as a 2019 addition since it takes them a year to make a character.

Hey, if FE can bump up their roster 300% within one Smash game, I don't see why the FACE OF VIDEO GAMES be exempted from more than one character.
True, but I just meant two in the same pass. A third of the pass would be Mario characters, even if one of them is third party.

I was about to say, by who's rules is it impossible to get Waluigi and Geno as DLC? Nintendo can do whatever the heck they want. It doesn't matter how many characters the fans think a franchise should get, if they wanted, Nintendo could make the remaining pass slots nothing but Mario characters with Waluigi, Geno, Paper Mario, Fawful, and Goomba. Would it be bs? Heck yeah it would, but just because Paper Mario or Waluigi shows up (especially in a hypothetical bonus fighter scenario), that doesn't mean Geno isn't coming.

Also, Fatman, opinions on this idea?
What if Fighter 11 was a big name first party character? I'm not talking Sora or Master Chief big but a character nobody in the fandom would expect that would be a complete 360 of everything the fans have come to expect? It's no Waluigi but I bet very few people would be disappointed by it.
View attachment 272633
He has a series logo and everything and they even gave him a playable moveset in WoL, sort of.
I wouldn't mind it at all if we got Geno, Waluigi, Paper Mario, and Toad in this pass honestly. Why it's taken this long for any of them to be added seems strange to me. I just don't see us getting more than one of them, but we never know.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
View attachment 272633
Would be cool, but I think if they're gonna make any Smash original character playable, it would either be Tabuu or Giga Bowser.

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
I can live with this- Geno's been my #1 since Banjo was taken care of, but I'm a big stupid Mario fanboy babby, so I won't complain about any of those three getting in

MattX20

Smash Hero
Fan rules will either broken or left in tact in the next few weeks. That's the only thing we can be certain of

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Fan rules will either broken or left in tact in the next few weeks. That's the only thing we can be certain of
Sadly, when one fan rule is destroyed, another takes it place. Hell, even Sakurai himself denying Goku, twice, hasn't stopped people suggesting similar characters.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I honestly think the assist trophy and Spirits rule is already dead in the water. The fact that Nintendo used Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min and Twintelle as potential candidates for who this ARMS rep is shows Nintendo sees them as potential candidates, which again, bodes well for Geno.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I honestly think the assist trophy and Spirits rule is already dead in the water. The fact that Nintendo used Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min and Twintelle as potential candidates for who this ARMS rep is shows Nintendo sees them as potential candidates, which again, bodes well for Geno.
I still struggle that anyone could have the mindset that Spirits, which are just PNG files, are somehow more immutable than trophies in Smash 4 which were fully-rendered 3d models. It's asinine to think that they would stop themselves from making future characters based solely on the fact that they already have spirits, especially when there's a huge financial incentive to sell them later as DLC. From a gameplay perspective, it makes absolutely no sense to intentionally limit yourselves to making an 'inferior' product based on decisions that happened literally years ago, and from a financial perspective it makes absolutely no sense to intentionally make less money because a popular character was given a PNG image literally years ago.

It'll be a good day when that nonsense is just completely put to rest, for all our sakes.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
"Assist Trophies deconfirm" and "Spirits deconfirm" have never been rules, they're just observations. We have yet to have either upgraded within the same game. There's never been anything preventing either from happening besides the fact that it hasn't happened yet.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Watch the ARMS character be Max Brass or Dr. Coyle and us Genobros will be put on suicide watch :ultpacman:
I just don't see them going out of their way not to add one of the more popular Arms characters just because it's already a spirit. "Well the main characters and the most popular characters are already a PNG, shoot! Guess we have to add the 6th in line now." It would be like them skipping Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Bowser Jr. and adding Rosalina first.

The only way around this I see is if they announce an Arms 2 and it has a new character they want to promote.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
"Assist Trophies deconfirm" and "Spirits deconfirm" have never been rules, they're just observations. We have yet to have either upgraded within the same game. There's never been anything preventing either from happening besides the fact that it hasn't happened yet.
Y'all remember when 1st parties were essentially deconfirmed from being in FP1? Good times, goooooood times...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
At the same time, we’ve only had one other game with DLC, and people were pushing the “precedent” thing even during Pass 1 speculation, with the Pass being decided while the basegame was still being worked on (so I guess it made sense in that regard, even if I personally still thought there was a chance). Precedent is still a good thing to look at if you don’t want to hype yourself up too much, but goodness, it’s not even much precedent yet some people push it a lot with some being rude about it. Afaik people even considered ATs to be dead during Smash 4 DLC speculation - but I wasn’t there myself (mainly just stuck around for basegame and experienced the ESRB leak) so, eh, idk.

Precedent also actually tells us something could happen for Spirits at least, considering Mewtwo and Lucas were already trophies in Smash 4 (as xpnc alluded to) but apparently they “don’t count” based on past arguments I’ve seen/had.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
The fact that there's even a chance that the first Arms character added isn't Springman is odd. We have always gotten the main character first. So if we don't get him, it's because he's an AT. Which is why I don't like AT's, at least when they are the main character of their series or a popular request. They know ahead of time they will be adding DLC, so why back themselves into a corner? Just make side characters that would never make it in be the AT's.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Anyone know if there's any truth to the supposedly datamined "forest" and "Mee" codenames? If so, Mee clearly refers to Min Min (it means noodles in parts of Southeast Asia apparently) and forest is likely Geno.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Watch the ARMS character be Max Brass or Dr. Coyle and us Genobros will be put on suicide watch :ultpacman:
I don't know. That's like Square making another Dissidia game and adding a 4th FFVII character but going with Barret or Yuffie and not Aerith because she was an assist character in Dissidia 012.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Anyone know if there's any truth to the supposedly datamined "forest" and "Mee" codenames? If so, Mee clearly refers to Min Min (it means noodles in parts of Southeast Asia apparently) and forest is likely Geno.
I still don't believe those names to be true. At least Forest. It sounds way too on-point for a name for Geno. Remember Terry's name was "Dolly"? Yeah. I don't wanna get my hopes up too high...

Polarthief

Smash Lord
They were deemed fake because no one (reputable) datamined them supposedly. The characters could very well still be Min-Min and Geno, but after FP1's codename leaks, I highly doubt Ninty would be that dumb to make the codenames so easy. A child could figure those out.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Prolly would've been found and spread around a while ago if it were true. Ultimate hasn't had an update for some time, so those code names would've had to have been in the code, undiscovered, for quite a while.

MattX20

Smash Hero
There was a recent datamine? I didn't hear of this

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I know the DLC fighters have codenames like Frost, Brave, Buddies, Dolly, and Master but I want to know if any of the other characters have codenames too. Why has no one been asking that question? I want to see if stuff like Inkling has "Squid" or "Kid."

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Mee is Min Min’s codename in the ARMS files. Doubtful they’ll use it again for Smash

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I highly doubt Ninty would be that dumb to make the codenames so easy. A child could figure those out.
Eh, while I still don't believe it's real, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to make a similar mistake twice. And yeah, these code names are pretty obvious but these are the same people that essentially just mistranslated Hero's name as a code name sooooo

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Mee is Min Min’s codename in the ARMS files. Doubtful they’ll use it again for Smash
Massive red flag right there.

Eh, while I still don't believe it's real, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to make a similar mistake twice. And yeah, these code names are pretty obvious but these are the same people that essentially just mistranslated Hero's name as a code name sooooo
Yet we haven't heard anything from reputable people. If you're gonna datamine, why would you anonymously put it in a 4chan post?

QQS

Smash Lord
25B30232-EDBA-458F-B9EB-59CC489E0C17.jpeg

This is Geno Forum in a picture. Cheers to our 3 authorities, creators of content and best passionate Geno pilars: Fatmanonice Fatmanonice papagenos papagenos TerminalMontage TerminalMontage

Hope the best for Geno and Im pretty sure we are in the final route. After 24 years, Geno will Awake to Shine even Brighter in Smash and reunite with his old Party fellows in this Ultimate wish.

Best wishes from Chile! Geno joins the party!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom