• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Yet we haven't heard anything from reputable people. If you're gonna datamine, why would you anonymously put it in a 4chan post?
Oh, I agree with that wholeheartedly and that's why I think it's most likely phony, I just don't think it's fake because of the obvious codenames or because Nintendo once did this before lol

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I haven’t seen any actual dataminers say anything like they did for Jack and Brave, though I don’t follow any (I just knew of Jack and Brave due to people sharing what dataminers found). The only other codename leak (no dataminers involved + was on 4chan) I recall was a leak for Banjo’s & Kazooie’s codename, “buddy,” and it could’ve been an easy guess (and may or may not have had something incorrect attached).

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I still struggle that anyone could have the mindset that Spirits, which are just PNG files, are somehow more immutable than trophies in Smash 4 which were fully-rendered 3d models. It's asinine to think that they would stop themselves from making future characters based solely on the fact that they already have spirits, especially when there's a huge financial incentive to sell them later as DLC. From a gameplay perspective, it makes absolutely no sense to intentionally limit yourselves to making an 'inferior' product based on decisions that happened literally years ago, and from a financial perspective it makes absolutely no sense to intentionally make less money because a popular character was given a PNG image literally years ago.

It'll be a good day when that nonsense is just completely put to rest, for all our sakes.
Exactly this. I always use this argument against the idea of Spirit deconfirmations and the only argument I ever hear is, "WeLl, iT wOuLdN't MaKe SeNsE fOr sOmEoNe tO bE bOtH a ChArAcTeR aNd A sPiRiT", as if Smash doesn't make sense as is.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
View attachment 272638

This is Geno Forum in a picture. Cheers to our 3 authorities, creators of content and best passionate Geno pilars: Fatmanonice Fatmanonice @papagenos @TerminalMontage

Hope the best for Geno and Im pretty sure we are in the final route. After 24 years, Geno will Awake to Shine even Brighter in Smash and reunite with his old Party fellows in this Ultimate wish.

Best wishes from Chile! Geno joins the party!
QQS, I can't help but have a big dumb grin on my face towards all your posts. Love the ongoing positivity and confidence regardless of what's happening in the thread. :)

Oh, I agree with that wholeheartedly and that's why I think it's most likely phony, I just don't think it's fake because of the obvious codenames or because Nintendo once did this before lol
Ehhhh... They're trying to keep everything under lock-and-key, even moreso than FP1. I doubt they'd use very obvious names like that this time around.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I know the DLC fighters have codenames like Frost, Brave, Buddies, Dolly, and Master but I want to know if any of the other characters have codenames too. Why has no one been asking that question? I want to see if stuff like Inkling has "Squid" or "Kid."
No, the base roster characters all have pretty straightforward "codenames". Inkling, is literally just "fighter_kind_inkling". Most have their Japanese names. I've seen cleaner lists in the past, but this is the one I could find: https://pastebin.com/f0e1xDba

Polarthief

Smash Lord
No, the base roster characters all have pretty straightforward "codenames". Inkling, is literally just "fighter_kind_inkling". Most have their Japanese names. I've seen cleaner lists in the past, but this is the one I could find: https://pastebin.com/f0e1xDba
Well you can't datamine the game without... having the game, so it makes sense that none of them would have special codenames, unless they specifically wanted secret unlockable characters, which they didn't this time around. This is the first Smash game where we knew literally the entire base game roster prior to it coming out.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One thing I regularly think about when it comes to ARMS is how different it is compared to how the last two "seasons" have started. Smash 4's DLC kicked off with Mewtwo, literally the most wanted cut veteran by a wide margin, and the Fighter's Pass kicked off with Joker, a reveal that blindsided everyone and caused a whole theater of people screaming their heads off. Both were DLC sellers. Joker wasn't the most wanted character (rarely broke top 25 in major polls) but it set a tone of excitement and made people think "if they're adding someone THIS unexpected, who else is planned?" ARMS doesn't really have the energy of either.

I'm happy with ARMS addition but it seems like I'm a minority. A lot of people are wary of Season 2 and I haven't heard of a lot of people buy Season 2, even after ARMS was revealed. Something doesn't feel right. ARMS isn't exactly a pass seller, made even stranger by how much Sakurai himself has hyped up the contents of Season 2. This isn't to argue that ARMS is a bad pick, but it's obviously not the best pick to lead off Season 2. ARMS is like Terry, Byleth, or even Hero, definitely has its fans but isn't going to convince a lot of people to just straight up buy the whole pass.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
One thing I regularly think about when it comes to ARMS is how different it is compared to how the last two "seasons" have started. Smash 4's DLC kicked off with Mewtwo, literally the most wanted cut veteran by a wide margin, and the Fighter's Pass kicked off with Joker, a reveal that blindsided everyone and caused a whole theater of people screaming their heads off. Both were DLC sellers. Joker wasn't the most wanted character (rarely broke top 25 in major polls) but it set a tone of excitement and made people think "if they're adding someone THIS unexpected, who else is planned?" ARMS doesn't really have the energy of either.

I'm happy with ARMS addition but it seems like I'm a minority. A lot of people are wary of Season 2 and I haven't heard of a lot of people buy Season 2, even after ARMS was revealed. Something doesn't feel right. ARMS isn't exactly a pass seller, made even stranger by how much Sakurai himself has hyped up the contents of Season 2. This isn't to argue that ARMS is a bad pick, but it's obviously not the best pick to lead off Season 2. ARMS is like Terry, Byleth, or even Hero, definitely has its fans but isn't going to convince a lot of people to just straight up buy the whole pass.
It's pretty obvious a second pass wasn't a solid lock at first, I mean they even revealed the bonus DLC just by saying "Yep, we do indeed like money and are making more characters!" and nothing else. It's obvious Arms is the lead off because, like we've been over before, it's first party and therefore has the least strings attatched and would be decided upon first. It's a little odd ARMS would be their first pick for a Nintendo rep but at the time it was the best selling Switch game without anything in Smash, makes sense, especially if the Mario Kart team still wants to do more with it in the future.

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman

And that's not even taking into account how Pass 1 ended on a weird note, breaking all other patterns on the pass and ending on a "sour" topic for Smash fans, leaving that bad taste on the mouth. Another thing to take into account is the recency bias that most Smash fans tend to have with predictions, especially after character reveals. I see people that aren't excited for Fighter Pass 2 because they think it will be just a first-party pack with max 1 or 2 third-party, which doesn't make a lot of sense, especially with how the first pass panned out, the fact that we're getting more third-party spirit events now, plus Sakurai saying how Smash is now a celebration of gaming and wanting to fulfill fan requests (although what that means can be subjective for people).

I'm of the mindset that, at max, we are getting 2 first-party challenger packs, the 2nd one being Rex and Pyra, mostly because it ticks all possible boxes (was considered a shoe-in for base roster, falls in the same boat as ARMS, Xenoblade is in constant growth, but would benefit from another boost, a character-driven franchise, new game out this year, deconfirmation left a lot of people sad, can be really unique in all terms).

As for if that will happen, it's a wait and see approach, but taking only recency into account doesn't help speculation at all. Remember "To not see the forest (maze) from the trees".

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Thinking back on the ARMS character announcement for CP 6 (which is still a mystery of who it actually is), I thought "what if they pull the same stunt with other CPs?" To this it occurred to me that a similar announcement could be made if they were to say, "the next fighter will be from Tekken", or "the Tales of series". Sure, from these two series, the top names that have been circulating the DLC speculation cycle are Heihachi for Tekken, and Lloyd for Tales of but, if they were to make announcements like that, all bets are off.

"The next fighter in the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighters Pass Vol. 2 will be..."

a. a fighter from the Tekken series
b. a fighter from the Tales of series
c. a fighter from Mortal Kombat
d. a fighter from the Final Fantasy series (whooo boy this one would be interesting)

Characters from video game franchises that have numerous titles yet different cast of characters, or has many characters yet for each entry the main one tends to change could follow similar reveals to the ARMS character.

Not that it'll happen but, just a thought I wanted to put out there. Carry on Genobros. A toast for the star-sent messenger!

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Oops, double post
It's not, unless you've blocked/ignored users.
Oof rip me. To be blocked on here /qq. TBH I'd probably block me too.

Yeah I've been saying that for awhile too. They might now expectations by giving us a Hero/Jr. situation with the ARMS rep, and then lead into another spirit/AT promotion people have been asking for: Geno and Waluigi. Obviously a pretty crazy idea, but man if they did that...

d. a fighter from the Final Fantasy series (whooo boy this one would be interesting)
TECHNICALLY, because there is a few FF songs and the crystals of the elements in SMRPG, you could consider it a FF game. ;)

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

I know of others who wanted ARMS reps like Dr. Crafty, but yeah, FP7 and FP8 are the ones that need to sell this pass. ARMS alone isn't enough

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's pretty obvious a second pass wasn't a solid lock at first, I mean they even revealed the bonus DLC just by saying "Yep, we do indeed like money and are making more characters!" and nothing else. It's obvious Arms is the lead off because, like we've been over before, it's first party and therefore has the least strings attatched and would be decided upon first. It's a little odd ARMS would be their first pick for a Nintendo rep but at the time it was the best selling Switch game without anything in Smash, makes sense, especially if the Mario Kart team still wants to do more with it in the future.
ARMS definitely deserves to be in Smash. It was more or less the first original IP for the Switch and the first none Smash Nintendo fighting game in almost 30 years. It's just odd that it's first unless there's something about Pack 6 that they're not sharing or 7 is a big deal. I say this because Season 2 has been available to buy for almost 5 months and Nintendo hasn't done a lot to really convince the typical Smash fan to buy it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Oof rip me. To be blocked on here /qq. TBH I'd probably block me too.
I checked the post history, and it was originally the exact same as their previous post before they edited the second one out, so that's probably what it was.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John

That's the strange feeling with the ARMS rep. Personally, I have not purchased the second pass. I need to see SOMETHING worthwhile personally. Although we kinda know who the first fighter will be ... I need to see it.

The "positive" spin I can make is the ARMS rep is the fighter MUST already represented in SMASH via Spirit/AT/Mii Costume. I know there are fans of ARMS, but it's not any near the Mario, Zelda or Pokemon level in respects to Nintendo ... let alone Splatoon popularity. (Please, any ARMS fans don't take this as a knock against the series ... I am going JUST based on the numbers and whatnot. If you love the game, please keep enjoying it. I appreciate how different it is.)

The first character for DLC has always been a big one, in whatever respects as Fatman said. Smash 4? Mewtwo, heavily requested veteran. That is fan popularity. Ultimate? Joker, although not a heavily requested fighter, but he represented "Hey, anyone can be in this. Don't stop dreaming."

So with ARMS ... it doesn't really fit in any of those categories UNLESS it is a promotion. That is why I can see fighter 7 is another promotion. That would drive the sales of the second pass. Now ANYONE, even if they are a Spirit/Mii costume/AT can happen. That leads to excitement.

If the ARMS rep is not a promotion ... it would be such a bad call.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

This is why the next couple character reveals are so important. The second/third reveals of fighter passes are their last chance to prove that people should buy the full pass and not just individual characters. I guarantee a solid amount of players didn’t buy FP1 until the duo Hero/Banjo reveal at E3, myself included. And there is no reason for me to buy the second until they show me a character that people actually want.

We all knew a Nintendo character was guaranteed for the second pass, so i dont care about ARMS either way. But if the 7th character is a wildcard that no one really wanted, then I start to panic. In my eyes, if Geno isn’t 7 or 8, he likely just isn’t happening.

That said, we’re in a position where Geno is probably the “safest” bet to make the pass out of any other character. Doesn’t mean he’ll be in for sure, but it feels good to finally be in a position where he could literally be the next character shown, a feeing that hasn’t happened at all for the entirety of Ultimate’s speculation cycle. We’ve usually known a rough idea of who was next or that Geno probably wasn’t next for every reveal up until now.

Let’s get this show on the road

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Nintendo can't afford to wait too much longer with this last season of DLC. They need a really big name, whether a highly wanted fan request or a major 3rd party character even casual consumers would want/recognize to sell it.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I checked the post history, and it was originally the exact same as their previous post before they edited the second one out, so that's probably what it was.
You know I thought that's what they actually meant. Not like I'd be that offended for being blocked. I'm a big dumb anyway haha.

That's the strange feeling with the ARMS rep. Personally, I have not purchased the second pass. I need to see SOMETHING worthwhile personally. Although we kinda know who the first fighter will be ... I need to see it.

The "positive" spin I can make is the ARMS rep is the fighter MUST already represented in SMASH via Spirit/AT/Mii Costume. I know there are fans of ARMS, but it's not any near the Mario, Zelda or Pokemon level in respects to Nintendo ... let alone Splatoon popularity. (Please, any ARMS fans don't take this as a knock against the series ... I am going JUST based on the numbers and whatnot. If you love the game, please keep enjoying it. I appreciate how different it is.)

The first character for DLC has always been a big one, in whatever respects as Fatman said. Smash 4? Mewtwo, heavily requested veteran. That is fan popularity. Ultimate? Joker, although not a heavily requested fighter, but he represented "Hey, anyone can be in this. Don't stop dreaming."

So with ARMS ... it doesn't really fit in any of those categories UNLESS it is a promotion. That is why I can see fighter 7 is another promotion. That would drive the sales of the second pass. Now ANYONE, even if they are a Spirit/Mii costume/AT can happen. That leads to excitement.

If the ARMS rep is not a promotion ... it would be such a bad call.
Yeah I'm in the same boat, there's no way this isn't a promotion.

Nintendo can't afford to wait too much longer with this last season of DLC. They need a really big name, whether a highly wanted fan request or a major 3rd party character even casual consumers would want/recognize to sell it.
Also this, especially with how weak 2020 has been so far and the last 2 DLC have been mediocre to outright bad (talking exclusively about the characters they picked based on fan reaction to them, not how they actually play, because I rather enjoy playing both of them. ARE YOU OKAY? AY...MR!).

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Exactly this. I always use this argument against the idea of Spirit deconfirmations and the only argument I ever hear is, "WeLl, iT wOuLdN't MaKe SeNsE fOr sOmEoNe tO bE bOtH a ChArAcTeR aNd A sPiRiT", as if Smash doesn't make sense as is.
Ike can fight against his younger self, and Dr. Mario can clash with his uneducated alter-ego, but to suggest a character can exist as both playable and a PNG? I'm sorry, that's just a little too silly. Let's try to keep things grounded in realism, folks.

1590367404292.png

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Ike can fight against his younger self, and Dr. Mario can clash with his uneducated alter-ego, but to suggest a character can exist as both playable and a PNG? I'm sorry, that's just a little too silly. Let's try to keep things grounded in realism, folks.

View attachment 272659
Chrom can simultaneously be in battle and helping Robin with a Final Smash, but lord have mercy if a spirit becomes playable.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That's sort of the thing. Not everyone was sold on Joker and Hero was definitely a mixed bag but Banjo was such a big deal that for a lot of people it overshadowed Breath of the Wild 2. I do agree with KCChief in that 8 is pretty much the last chance for them to put out a character good enough to convince people to buy the whole pass. This is why either 6 has something secret to it that's going to make people flip their **** or 7 or 8 is a really big deal that will effortlessly make up for the 6 months of lost time.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I can't imagine Nintendo doesn't realize everyone's kinda feeling burnt at this point. From Deconfirmation Fest 2019 to the VGAs disaster to The Byleth Incident to Ooooo the next fighter is from Arms but we aren't telling uwu, Smash speculation has been almost nothing but unsatisfaction since after Terry presentation in November. Nintendo needs something to refresh people's interest or else it may be beyond saving by that point.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Here’s to hoping that June gives us some answers. I would love nothing more than starboi being early so we don’t have to clench every mii wave.
Lol you said it. My stomach is a mess everytime those Mii portions pop up. Nintendo has a way of making us fans wish they'd just take us around back and put us down already.

True, but I just meant two in the same pass. A third of the pass would be Mario characters, even if one of them is third party.

I wouldn't mind it at all if we got Geno, Waluigi, Paper Mario, and Toad in this pass honestly. Why it's taken this long for any of them to be added seems strange to me. I just don't see us getting more than one of them, but we never know.
I would be alright getting Paper Mario, Waluigi, (Captain) Toad/Toadette, Fawful, and Kamek honestly so long as we get Geno.

Would be cool, but I think if they're gonna make any Smash original character playable, it would either be Tabuu or Giga Bowser.
I honestly think it'd be cool if they made an actual Smash original fighter (who doesn't use a sword). Or at least revamped the miis into heavily customizable characters who could have all sorts of different playstyles/weapons. Not as DLC tho.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
That's sort of the thing. Not everyone was sold on Joker and Hero was definitely a mixed bag but Banjo was such a big deal that for a lot of people it overshadowed Breath of the Wild 2. I do agree with KCChief in that 8 is pretty much the last chance for them to put out a character good enough to convince people to buy the whole pass. This is why either 6 has something secret to it that's going to make people flip their **** or 7 or 8 is a really big deal that will effortlessly make up for the 6 months of lost time.
Of the big name characters remaining, I'm actually curious who they could be. I think of some of the mid-tier characters that people want, but I just don't see characters like Lloyd or even Dante doing that. As much as I love Geno, he's definitely not gonna draw in anyone new in, but would definitely please a lot of us "boomers" who have been around since even Smash 64 was a brand new thing.

I can't imagine Nintendo doesn't realize everyone's kinda feeling burnt at this point. From Deconfirmation Fest 2019 to the VGAs disaster to The Byleth Incident to Ooooo the next fighter is from Arms but we aren't telling uwu, Smash speculation has been almost nothing but unsatisfaction since after Terry presentation in November. Nintendo needs something to refresh people's interest or else it may be beyond saving by that point.
For real. This has been dreadful for the last 2.5 reveals. Basically, post-E3 2019, the most hype things have been Sans and Cuphead (two MII COSTUMES, which tells you how pathetic this has been) and the fact that we even have an FP2. Everything else has been a total snoozefest.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Of the big name characters remaining, I'm actually curious who they could be. I think of some of the mid-tier characters that people want, but I just don't see characters like Lloyd or even Dante doing that. As much as I love Geno, he's definitely not gonna draw in anyone new in, but would definitely please a lot of us "boomers" who have been around since even Smash 64 was a brand new thing.

For real. This has been dreadful for the last 2.5 reveals. Basically, post-E3 2019, the most hype things have been Sans and Cuphead (two MII COSTUMES, which tells you how pathetic this has been) and the fact that we even have an FP2. Everything else has been a total snoozefest.
Crash Bandicoot would almost assuredly do the trick, Rayman would also be nice, but the former would be on par, if not surpassing Banjo and Kazooie in terms of hype

Firox

Smash Master
This is why the next couple character reveals are so important. The second/third reveals of fighter passes are their last chance to prove that people should buy the full pass and not just individual characters. I guarantee a solid amount of players didn’t buy FP1 until the duo Hero/Banjo reveal at E3, myself included. And there is no reason for me to buy the second until they show me a character that people actually want.

We all knew a Nintendo character was guaranteed for the second pass, so i dont care about ARMS either way. But if the 7th character is a wildcard that no one really wanted, then I start to panic. In my eyes, if Geno isn’t 7 or 8, he likely just isn’t happening.

That said, we’re in a position where Geno is probably the “safest” bet to make the pass out of any other character. Doesn’t mean he’ll be in for sure, but it feels good to finally be in a position where he could literally be the next character shown, a feeing that hasn’t happened at all for the entirety of Ultimate’s speculation cycle. We’ve usually known a rough idea of who was next or that Geno probably wasn’t next for every reveal up until now.

Let’s get this show on the road
My thoughts exactly. I'm one of the people holding out on FP2 until I see at least ONE character I'm hyped about (hint: ARMS ain't it). If I don't see Geno, or at least someone on par with him by fighter #8, I'm gonna have to throw this fighter's pass the big middle finger and just pick and choose what I want. The last thing I would want to do is reward Nintendo for multiple idiotic decisions (if it comes to that).

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Crash Bandicoot would almost assuredly do the trick, Rayman would also be nice, but the former would be on par, if not surpassing Banjo and Kazooie in terms of hype
Crash yes, Rayman maybe? Geno would for us boomers but not for the new kids (who have honestly gotten plenty). MC for sure but I highly doubt he's coming in the first half (or even at all). Steve/Fortnite/LoL/etc new hit sensation of the decade would make the zoomers go mental. Sora would make everyone but me crap their pants.

I feel like even Dante wouldn't have that same effect. He feels more like a mid-tier character to me more than a high-tier like Crash, Sora, or Geno.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
tbh, of these 3, I think Steve is the only one that wouldn't have a near Byleth tier reaction.
I think even Steve would cause a Byleth-tier reaction, but again, zoomers would go mental (just like they did for Byleth). People do want Minecraft in Smash (I'd like a Minecraft stage actually, with Minecraft enemies and a background Steve that mines and places parts of the battleground), but very few want Steve specifically. No one gives a crap about the character "Steve". Hell you could replace him with Alex or "Herobrine" and get probably the exact same reaction (maybe with some questioning why not Steve). The problem is Minecraft doesn't have any good characters, but does have some solid enemies (Creepers are very iconic to anyone who has ever played the game) and overall mechanics that I think it would be so much better to have a Minecraft stage than a playable character.

But uh, yeah. Hopefully not-E3 gives us some solid stuff.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Fan rules will either broken or left in tact in the next few weeks. That's the only thing we can be certain of
A fan rule is getting broken no matter what. Either no upgrades rule is getting broken or no side characters/antagonists first rule is getting broken. The ARMs rep is going to have implications for the rest of the pass either way.

D

Deleted member

While hype is subjective, I agree that Nintendo needs a highly requested character like *cough* Geno or a very popular character for the general audience like *cough* Crash to convince people to buy the fighters Pass. A first party from a recent IP with a single game that is not even as popular as Splatoon ain’t it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Steve/Fortnite/LoL/etc new hit sensation of the decade would make the zoomers go mental.
Minecraft and LoL aren’t new. They (if I’m not mistaken about LoL) have a lot of older players as well - the average Minecraft player being 24, and there’s still a lot of older people playing it.

Technically Minecraft has also existed in 3 decades now due to starting in May 2009 :nifty:

I think even Steve would cause a Byleth-tier reaction, but again, zoomers would go mental (just like they did for Byleth). People do want Minecraft in Smash (I'd like a Minecraft stage actually, with Minecraft enemies and a background Steve that mines and places parts of the battleground), but very few want Steve specifically. No one gives a crap about the character "Steve". Hell you could replace him with Alex or "Herobrine" and get probably the exact same reaction (maybe with some questioning why not Steve). The problem is Minecraft doesn't have any good characters, but does have some solid enemies (Creepers are very iconic to anyone who has ever played the game) and overall mechanics that I think it would be so much better to have a Minecraft stage than a playable character.

But uh, yeah. Hopefully not-E3 gives us some solid stuff.
“No one gives a crap about Steve” is that why many people who ask for him genuinely want him specifically and not just a stage and whatever, and would be disappointed if he was less than a fighter even if it’d be better than nothing? Is that why there’s a lot of fan art for him, Alex, and others? There are Minecraft fans who don’t care about him, but most people either like him or don’t give a crap either way. He wouldn’t be “Byleth-tier” as far as I know, as the people who spout rude hateful stuff about him are a clear minority. Steve is used as a character in some stuff, and people like me have grown attached to him due to liking his design and seeing him as the face or an important face of the game they love.

All you have to do is look at the Codename Craft twitter account to see that the number of people who want Steve specifically are getting up there with other characters - one of their previous accounts before trolls attacked them even had double their current followers and maybe even nearly triple. There’s even a YouTube video about an animated Steve moveset for Smash that doesn’t mention Minecraft itself (so you either have to get it recommended to you or search for it specifically) with over 180k likes and 2 million views. Saying “few people want Steve specifically” is blatantly false.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
That's sort of the thing. Not everyone was sold on Joker and Hero was definitely a mixed bag but Banjo was such a big deal that for a lot of people it overshadowed Breath of the Wild 2.
Where do people keep getting this outside of anecdotal evidence/experience? And no, reactions from Youtubers and Twitch streamers is not a metric of anything.

Banjo has the least amount of views of every presentation and we have no information that suggests he has sold more individual passes than any other character pass. From both a competitive and observable metric perspective, Joker seems to be the most popular pass character.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
“No one gives a crap about Steve” is that why many people who ask for him genuinely want him specifically and not just a stage and whatever, and would be disappointed if he was less than a fighter even if it’d be better than nothing? Is that why there’s a lot of fan art for him, Alex, and others? There are Minecraft fans who don’t care about him, but most people either like him or don’t give a crap either way. He wouldn’t be “Byleth-tier” as far as I know, as the people who spout rude hateful stuff about him are a clear minority. Steve is used as a character in some stuff, and people like me have grown attached to him due to liking his design and seeing him as the face or an important face of the game they love.

All you have to do is look at the Codename Craft twitter account to see that the number of people who want Steve specifically are getting up there with other characters - one of their previous accounts before trolls attacked them even had double their current followers and maybe even nearly triple. There’s even a YouTube video about an animated Steve moveset for Smash that doesn’t mention Minecraft itself (so you either have to get it recommended to you or search for it specifically) with over 180k likes and 2 million views. Saying “few people want Steve specifically” is blatantly false.
Sorry, you misunderstand, and I probably should have been more specific: People want a "playable Minecraft character", but the best they have is Steve (or Alex). Minecraft has no real characters, just an avatar that grunts when injured. Steve (and by extension, Alex) has no personality, no characteristics, no anything. They're the blandest of the bland, boring, blank-slate characters, that's the best they're gonna get. If there was an actual character that talked and did something more, you bet your ass people would want them over Steve.

FTR: This isn't me hating on Steve/Minecraft, not at all, I actually enjoy Minecraft. It's me pointing out the fact that Steve is barely a character, and sadly the *only* character (with Alex as an obvious alt) that you're gonna get if you want a playable Minecraft character.

That said, he would be somewhere in the Terry-Byleth area for the general Smash player, but he would probably bring in a ton of new players. To me personally, he'd be a Terry-level character.

Banjo has the least amount of views of every presentation
That's irrelevant. Many people actually watched the E3 livestream. Significantly more were tuned in towards the end than the exact beginning, or they just watched the entire E3 video. That would naturally mean that they didn't need to then watch the reveal video.

Without bothering to look, I'd be willing to bet Byleth and Joker were the "most watched" videos since not nearly as many people watched VGA 2018 compared to E3 2019 or even the Q3 2019 direct, and to have seen Byleth's reveal, you'd have watched the Sakurai video for them.

From both a competitive and observable metric perspective, Joker seems to be the most popular pass character.
The former is irrelevant because he's the highest tier of any of the DLC characters. The latter is very biased in favor of him because of literally what I just said: Not nearly as many people watched VGA 2018 compared to people who watched E3 (or even Q3 Direct) 2019. Without even bothering to look, I'll bet you that Byleth was #2, Terry was #3, Hero was #4, and Banjo was #5, based on people who watched those events live (and therefore wouldn't need to watch the videos).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom