• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Eh, is there actually any proof that GTA and Fortnite music were taken down?
That's me continuing to parrot what I've heard a lot of people on here saying, but that could totally be wrong, and I'm too lazy (and it's past 3AM) so I'm not gonna bother looking for it.

I also see it unlikely that Mii costume guy was a fraud all that I won’t be surprised if was verified.
I wasn't saying they are, I was just tearing down each piece of evidence for the sake of playing devil's advocate. My entire point was just "even if a few pieces turn out to be fake/false, there's still plenty more pieces".

I was not speaking about you specifically about that call out. I¨m more talking about the entire thread. But yeah, Mother 3 PLZ is also a prime example. Sure, Sakurai has talked about Geno before, and they could know about the backlash of Wah from him (we don¨t know the exact communication between him and Nintendo after all). Does this mean that Nintendo can¨t have other ideas (in this cause fighters) in mind? Not really.
Of course, though do also keep in mind that FP2 are characters that are "truly extra", which I'd like to think are characters that are either to get in those last few fan-demanded characters, or characters intended for earlier that didn't quite meet the "deadline" for development (ARMS, and very likely Rex [& {Pyra]).

I mean, (and I know that I will sound like a broken record) but they gave us Arms before the likes of Geno, Isaac, Waluigi, Rayman, Master Chief, etc, due to an obvious try to push the franchise. If anyone says that it was anything else, then said person is fooling themself.
We also got a ****ing plant before BK. The timing is a moot point to even bring up TBH. There's plenty of reasons why they would want to push a certain character at a certain point. Byleth for example was obviously done for the sake of 3H DLC.

This is exactly why I don¨t think the copyright strikes are worth looking into. Had GTA music never been copyrighted, then maybe I could have believed it since Nintendo likes to push Fornite (ugh)... but now.. You get the drill.
Yet both a MEGALOVANIA and BK(?) remix got taken down, and we all know what became of those. Again, while not massive on its own, it's still worth keeping in mind since we have gotten copyright takedowns leading to Smash content. Also not that it matters but just for the record, they were takedowns and not strikes (thankfully for the people who posted them).

And if Byleth showed us anything is that said character, no matter who it is don¨t necessary to get costumes from the same franchise. We could get Cacamallow with Arms, Rayman, or someone else, not Geno or Doomguy related.
I already said this in my last reply, and I do acknowledge that possibility purely for the sake of playing devil's advocate, but I don't think that's the case with Mallow's costume/Geno's playable status. TBH I do think Cacodemon's costume won't come with DG; I'm less and less sure about DG as time goes on, but I honestly do not care if he's in or not. Mallow though, that'd just be so incredibly weird to add a Mallow costume (and Smithy, too if MCL isn't wrong) with no playable fighter from SMRPG; that's just way too suspicious to me. Why add a second (and possibly third) costume in from a game that has 0 playable characters? It makes no sense and would honestly piss off more people that they're further acknowledging it without a playable rep. Also, why go through the trouble of it when you could get significantly more high-profile characters that would sell way better? Even from Square's perspective, it makes absolutely no sense to go with Mallow, a character who is nowhere nearly as liked as Geno, than go with another Square rep that would sell way better. The only reason I can think of to even consider Mallow (and even worse than that, Smithy) is if another character from that game was getting in, and now you have no other costumes from said game.

Also just as a reminder, Square (and Enix) doesn't mix their content with the peasantry content of other companies, so no, Mallow (and Smithy) would only come with another Square rep, and wouldn't come with ARMS, Rayman, etc characters. You're basically looking at Geno, Sephiroth, or 2B (or Sora if that is actually feasible, which I still don't think is).

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Of course, though do also keep in mind that FP2 are characters that are "truly extra", which I'd like to think are characters that are either to get in those last few fan-demanded characters, or characters intended for earlier that didn't quite meet the "deadline" for development (ARMS, and very likely Rex [& {Pyra]).
And I wouldn¨t call Arms "truly extra" for reason previously stated. The same goes for Rex & Pyra even with no marketing in mind

Yet both a MEGALOVANIA and BK(?) remix got taken down, and we all know what became of those. Again, while not massive on its own, it's still worth keeping in mind since we have gotten copyright takedowns leading to Smash content. Also not that it matters but just for the record, they were takedowns and not strikes (thankfully for the people who posted them).
Like we said before. YT system could just be idiotic as usual. And we are still only 2 of 5, not 3 or 4 out of 5. One time is 0, the second time is coincident, a third is a pattern.

I already said this in my last reply, and I do acknowledge that possibility purely for the sake of playing devil's advocate, but I don't think that's the case with Mallow's costume/Geno's playable status. TBH I do think Cacodemon's costume won't come with DG; I'm less and less sure about DG as time goes on, but I honestly do not care if he's in or not. Mallow though, that'd just be so incredibly weird to add a Mallow costume (and Smithy, too if MCL isn't wrong) with no playable fighter from SMRPG; that's just way too suspicious to me. Why add a second (and possibly third) costume in from a game that has 0 playable characters? It makes no sense and would honestly piss off more people that they're further acknowledging it without a playable rep. Also, why go through the trouble of it when you could get significantly more high-profile characters that would sell way better? Even from Square's perspective, it makes absolutely no sense to go with Mallow, a character who is nowhere nearly as liked as Geno, than go with another Square rep that would sell way better. The only reason I can think of to even consider Mallow (and even worse than that, Smithy) is if another character from that game was getting in, and now you have no other costumes from said game.
We have only (potentially) seen Mallow's costume. As far as we know it, Mallow could come as the hat and Geno being the premium. I mean, if we play devil's advocate and the songs do mean something, you do know that we are 50/50 chance of him being a premium costume? About people being pissed off... if Nintendo were afraid to piss people off, then they would have not added Byleth and Corrin, to begin with. Especially since people got extra pissed off for the obvious reason that they got in. We both also know that Sakurai and Nintendo look at Assist Trophies, but more importantly Mii Costume as a "sorry we can¨t add everyone, but here is something at least"..

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
If a dead character like BK can be an E3 reveal, I don't see why Geno couldn't, especially after they were extremely surprised that BK had such an insanely positive reception.

Unless they have a bigger-and-still-relevant character that is also heavily fan-demanded coming in FP2, I don't see anyone else that would fit. If someone like Sora or MC are actually coming, then yeah they'd probably take this spot. That said, Geno can be used to celebrate Mario's 35th, esp if the rumors of all the Mario games coming this year are true. He can be used further to also advertise for the upcoming rumored Paper Mario game, especially in the Sakurai video when he explains the history of the character (something like "Paper Mario is the spiritual successor of SMRPG, speaking of which, there's a new Paper Mario game coming, isn't there?" *gives his sly smirk to the camera as the (would be) people in the background chuckle*).
At least with Banjo Kazooie, it was something Nintendo had heavily pushed in the past and it was a big deal for Nintendo and Microsoft.

Geno doesn't accomplish nearly the same thing. He wasn't part of SNES advertising and integral to the Nintendo brand for a brief period like Banjo was. And Nintendo and Square Enix's relationship can't get THAT much better then it currently is.

But I do try to keep my expectations low so it could be possible this happens anyways

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
All I'm going to say is that there is too much pilling up to just be like "It's just a coincidence !".
If you have 10 coincidences in a row , then it's a pattern.

Granted , it could lead to nowhere , but overall , it's too suspicious to ignore. Pretty much the same situation happened for Banjo , he had small things that kept pilling up (Phil Spencer comment , the new BK figurine , Microsoft being buddy buddy) but people were always like "Well yeah but it's nothing guaranteed , Steve or Master Chief is a bigger character"...
And like , I'm feeling a strong sentiment of déjà-vu right now. Yeah , maybe the things going for Geno aren't as strong , but I really feel like it could be a Banjo situation again.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
All I'm going to say is that there is too much pilling up to just be like "It's just a coincidence !".
If you have 10 coincidences in a row , then it's a pattern.
This is honestly just how I feel at this point. There's just way too many "coincidences" to be a coincidence.

Granted , it could lead to nowhere , but overall , it's too suspicious to ignore. Pretty much the same situation happened for Banjo , he had small things that kept pilling up (Phil Spencer comment , the new BK figurine , Microsoft being buddy buddy) but people were always like "Well yeah but it's nothing guaranteed , Steve or Master Chief is a bigger character"...
And like , I'm feeling a strong sentiment of déjà-vu right now. Yeah , maybe the things going for Geno aren't as strong , but I really feel like it could be a Banjo situation again.
I swear, if we see any Geno merchandise popping up this/next month...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
At least with Banjo Kazooie, it was something Nintendo had heavily pushed in the past and it was a big deal for Nintendo and Microsoft.
They heavily pushed Geno too. After the N64, Banjo never got the same push again. Microsoft keeping Banjo relevant via Rare Replay is notable... if it wasn't for Minecraft being what led to it, coupled with fan demand. At best, it's arguable if Microsoft would've said yes if Rare Replay wasn't a thing. However, seeing as it still benefits MS anyway, well, they would've likely said yes.

Geno doesn't accomplish nearly the same thing. He wasn't part of SNES advertising and integral to the Nintendo brand for a brief period like Banjo was. And Nintendo and Square Enix's relationship can't get THAT much better then it currently is.
Except he was. SMRPG and Geno specifically were part of the actual SNES boxarts. It's the same thing with Banjo. Both were mascots of their respective systems.

But I do try to keep my expectations low so it could be possible this happens anyways
At this point, there's like two characters left that are major for SE and for Nintendo to look at. Lara Croft or Geno. The rest are just low on the totem pole. So he's in a fairly reasonable position to be chosen. I won't go over the other evidence, but you're giving Banjo more credit than is appropriate here. It wasn't that much it accomplished. The most accomplishment was "go to Microsoft for BK" on Microsoft's end and "we got a fan favorite in Smash" on Nintendo's end.

Like, the biggest comparison right now would be that SMRPG isn't out on the Switch yet, which is kind of the only reason difference in this situation. SMRPG ain't coming to other systems as is. So a re-release of that is literally all SE would need to get the ball rolling. Nintendo's already doing quite well with the company as is, so getting Geno isn't that hard. Keep in mind that Sakurai still opted for Hero first anyway, but it's freaking Dragon Quest. There's no denying it had a bigger impact than SMRPG in itself, respectively. He still got Geno content even then. Geno was also on the leaked Square Seven, which is very important since SE made the list themselves. They consider Geno important as a plausible playable character as is, to even make it onto that kind of list.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Geno was also on the leaked Square Seven, which is very important since SE made the list themselves. They consider Geno important as a plausible playable character as is, to even make it onto that kind of list.
I feel like I've heard this quite awhile ago (IIRC from Vergeben?), but do you happen to have the source on this? Would love to add this to The List™.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel like I've heard this quite awhile ago (IIRC from Vergeben?), but do you happen to have the source on this? Would love to add this to The List™.
I don't honestly remember where the list originated from. I know Verge knew it.

There's a topic about the Square Seven too. It might give you the right direction. Should be easy to search. Probably the first page at least.

I remember the list included, Luminary, Erdrick, Slime, Crono, Geno, Sephiroth, and Sora(yes, Sora isn't a SE character, which is funny cause SE put him there anyway).

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Seven Squares got out because some guy named Krono was upset when he heard that Sora was seemingly off the table entirely so among insider circles that included Vergeben, he leaked the entire list.

When I spoke with him a bit on Discord he seemed nice at first, and pretty regretful for what happened. I asked him some questions and he seemed pretty calm. Over time though he began to show his true colors, he was getting pretty snobby and full of himself. Now I can easily see why it was him.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
In SmashBoards for Brawl, people hated the idea of Cloud in Smash because he’s not Nintendo and everybody prefers Geno and Crono. Nowadays, Geno is popular but also a much more controversial pick because of his obscurity. Times have changed...
Not gonna lie, i miss the days when Smash Speculation was far more Nintendo centric. Smash 4 pre-release and Fighter Pass speculation is like night and day.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
There are only two characters I've ever seriously wanted in Smash: Geno, and Isaac. At this point, I will be overjoyed with just one of them. Any other serious wants, like Inkling, were truly shoe ins. Really, when Smash Ultimate was announced, I was even more worried for the characters already in that might not come back. The day "everyone is here" was announced was just relieved.

Geno was always the one I considered a long shot, because of the association with Square. Funny that he's still the most likely of the two to finally get in.

Isaac I assumed was a shoe in for Brawl. When that didn't happen, I assumed he'd be a likely candidate for Smash 4. His reveal as an assist trophy, yet again, still disappoints me. Seeing him drop in at the top of the assist trophy section was a bitter sweet moment. I was happy he wasn't forgotten again, but I was and still am bitter that's all he is.

Any other characters I rep are ones I would like to see but have zero mass appeal or really any chance of getting in. Sure, I know that nobody knows who Gitaroo Man is, but I know he'd be great and that's enough for me. And I'm okay with him never being in. Its the fact that Geno and Isaac are so freaking close and so tantalizingly possible that I'm still disappointed they're not in. Ultimate would have been a perfect game for me had they been in, but instead it's just pretty great.
"So tantalizingly possible" man you got that right. I also feel this way about Rayman too. It's just bizarre to me that these characters aren't in. It feels off.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Woo boy, you could probably power a small country with the wind from all the hand waving I've seen to Geno's chances here today.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
It's frustrating how even in June we probably won't get to know who FP7 is, so the only thing we can focus on is who the Arms rep will be and how it'll affect the rest of the DLC down the line.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
It's frustrating how even in June we probably won't get to know who FP7 is, so the only thing we can focus on is who the Arms rep will be and how it'll affect the rest of the DLC down the line.
Gonna disagree with you there. The Arms rep is pretty much a half-reveal and Nintendo tends to play big at E3 (which FP7 would have been planned to show for, no doubt). I think we'll see FP7 and there's a super slim chance we'll see FP8 as well, but personally I don't think that's really in the cards.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Gonna disagree with you there. The Arms rep is pretty much a half-reveal and Nintendo tends to play big at E3 (which FP7 would have been planned to show for, no doubt). I think we'll see FP7 and there's a super slim chance we'll see FP8 as well, but personally I don't think that's really in the cards.
Let's remember that they won¨t have a June direct. So the argument about "they tend to go play big at E3" is unfortunately not plausible here.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Are we all forgetting that Smash Directs are a thing? They could go that direction

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

There's a topic about the Square Seven too. It might give you the right direction. Should be easy to search. Probably the first page at least.

I remember the list included, Luminary, Erdrick, Slime, Crono, Geno, Sephiroth, and Sora(yes, Sora isn't a SE character, which is funny cause SE put him there anyway).
I think the reason Sora is in that list is the same reason Diddy Kong was in the "Connected to Rare" List in the "if there was a Smash 2" poll. Legally, Sora is Disney property, but in spirit is seen as a Square character because of who created him (Square's Tetsuya Nomura) similar to Diddy Kong.

In the 90s, despite Rare and Nintendo's positive relationship, Diddy Kong didn't show up Mario Spin Offs, only DK. In Mario Tennis for instance, DK Jr. is DK's parthner. Diddy Kong Racing was originally called Pro-Arm 64, and when it came time to make to change the main character there were 2 options, Donkey or Diddy. Rare chose the latter, because both them and Nintendo saw Diddy as more of a Rare character. It's only after Rare's departure that Diddy became more prominent in non-Rare Nintendo games. Sora is no different, as he is barely used in anything Disney related without Square's consent.

I have to mention something. If this 7 Squares was really supposed to be important, then it is interesing that they put Geno in that list. There could have been dozens of other names in there, like Noctis, Terra, Cecil, a Mana character, Lara, Neku Sakuraba, Gex, Black Mage, Chocobo, Kekfa, etc and they choose Geno to be in that name list. They say Geno is not important but if that's the case why not put more "important" names in that list like the ones i mentioned?

Maybe im thinking too much of it.

D

Deleted member

I think the reason Sora is in that list is the same reason Diddy Kong was in the "Connected to Rare" List in the "if there was a Smash 2" poll. Legally, Sora is Disney property, but in spirit is seen as a Square character because of who created him (Square's Tetsuya Nomura) similar to Diddy Kong.

In the 90s, despite Rare and Nintendo's positive relationship, Diddy Kong didn't show up Mario Spin Offs, only DK. In Mario Tennis for instance, DK Jr. is DK's parthner. Diddy Kong Racing was originally called Pro-Arm 64, and when it came time to make to change the main character there were 2 options, Donkey or Diddy. Rare chose the latter, because both them and Nintendo saw Diddy as more of a Rare character. It's only after Rare's departure that Diddy became more prominent in non-Rare Nintendo games. Sora is no different, as he is barely used in anything Disney related without Square's consent.

I have to mention something. If this 7 Squares was really supposed to be important, then it is interesing that they put Geno in that list. There could have been dozens of other names in there, like Noctis, Terra, Cecil, a Mana character, Lara, Neku Sakuraba, Gex, Black Mage, Chocobo, Kekfa, etc and they choose Geno to be in that name list. They say Geno is not important but if that's the case why not put more "important" names in that list like the ones i mentioned?

Maybe im thinking too much of it.
That’s what I was thinking. The fact that Geno is on the list may suggest Square sees him as a reasonable character because of fan demand. If Square Geno as an implausible joke character, why put him on that list?

Lagguino

Smash Apprentice
On a cloud with some kid to defeat the Red Ribbon

Just asking. When was the Seven Squares list made? Because i kinda feel iffy about it if it was shown before ultimate's release.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
This whole situation with Geno and the wait for June just feels like I am going through deja vu from last year with Banjo. I can't even count how many people told me Banjo is an irrelevant character and Nintendo or Microsoft wouldn't care enough to allow him to be put in Smash. I have always heard people say Microsoft would much rather have Master Chief or Steve in the game over Banjo. Everytime some naysayer tried to tell me it wouldn't happen, I still stuck by my gut and believed Banjo will get included. Things were really lining up for Banjo, and then that magical moment at E3 2019 happened and all I could do was laugh at the detractors saying it would never happen.

This feels so similar to Geno. All I hear from people is that Nintendo or Square doesn't care about Geno and Square would much rather want Sora, Lara Croft, or Sephiroth, yet I think Geno has the better chance out of any Square character, despite what the detractors say. People forget how far fan requests can go, and if something is popular, Sakurai WILL try anything in his power to get that character in the game. Sakurai seems like such a nice guy. Do you really think he or even Square would say no to a character JUST because of obscurity and irrelevancy? Because let's be real here, even Sakurai has a thing for obscure characters [Example: Piranha Plant, Wii Fit Trainer ECT.]. I think that just as long as fans want it, Sakurai WILL try to get that character included, no matter how obscure or irrelevant they are

Powerman293

Smash Ace
They heavily pushed Geno too. After the N64, Banjo never got the same push again. Microsoft keeping Banjo relevant via Rare Replay is notable... if it wasn't for Minecraft being what led to it, coupled with fan demand. At best, it's arguable if Microsoft would've said yes if Rare Replay wasn't a thing. However, seeing as it still benefits MS anyway, well, they would've likely said yes.

Except he was. SMRPG and Geno specifically were part of the actual SNES boxarts. It's the same thing with Banjo. Both were mascots of their respective systems.
Can I get some pictures of Geno in SNES advertising? I believe you, but I wanna see it for myself.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Just asking. When was the Seven Squares list made? Because i kinda feel iffy about it if it was shown before ultimate's release.
From what I can recall, 7 squares was a memo of 7 Square characters (Slime, Erdrick, Luminary, Crono, Geno, Sora and Sephiroth) that leaked a while ago, either a bit before Ultimate's release or shortly after (I think what happened was it was leaked to insiders first before Ultimate's release and then someone went ahead and leaked it to the public post Ultimate's release). I believe the list was characters that were being seriously considered for Smash, which would bode well for us, seeing as how it shows Geno was in the running. With Erdrick and Luminary bundled in with Hero, Slime being costumed, that only leaves 4 characters left. If Fatman is correct, only Geno and Sephiroth are still being heard, leaving them as the only 2 really in the running for a Square rep in FP2. I may be wrong on this, but it's what I remember hearing so idk.

Polarthief

Smash Lord

Found another thread here on Smashboards that I linked back to on the list. Thanks again for the reminder since I totally forgot. Assuming it's legit, this is really good news since it knocks off 2 of the biggest competitors: Lara Croft and 2B, leaving only a super-unlikely character who may not even be competition for Geno (Sora), another dead character who also has a sword (Crono), another FF7 character (Sephiroth), and a character that will not happen in a post-Hero world (Slime).

Seven Squares got out because some guy named Krono was upset when he heard that Sora was seemingly off the table entirely so among insider circles that included Vergeben, he leaked the entire list.

When I spoke with him a bit on Discord he seemed nice at first, and pretty regretful for what happened. I asked him some questions and he seemed pretty calm. Over time though he began to show his true colors, he was getting pretty snobby and full of himself. Now I can easily see why it was him.
Would you say this gives more or less weight to the leak though? Like, does it seem fake? It's just really weird to me to think SE wouldn't want to push Lara Croft or Nier (2B).

Seriously. The fact that Geno is on that list says a lot to his overall chances... assuming it's legitimate, of course.

That’s what I was thinking. The fact that Geno is on the list may suggest Square sees him as a reasonable character because of fan demand. If Square Geno as an implausible joke character, why put him on that list?
I can't think of any other reason besides potential leakbait? That said though, every xXLeetGamingLeaker69Xx puts Geno in their fake leaks, so it's hard to be "leakbait" when he's fake-leaked more than just about any other character besides maybe Banjo-Kazooie and Dragon Quest Heroes (Erdrick and Luminary mostly) who eventually did get in anyway.

Supposedly pre-release. I added a link to another thread's post about it (it's on The List, which is in my signature), and it was posted in December, so I'm assuming it was pre-release. I really don't remember since it's been quite awhile though. That said though, I doubt they would change their minds that much unless all of a sudden they want to push hard with a Bravely Default rep, Lara Croft, or 2B.

TBH I disagree. Even with the 'rona, I'm as confident in Geno's chances that #7 will be shown off. Nearly half a year for ONE character (after already being partially shown off in March) is a really bad look. Even if they can't show gameplay, just drop a name.

#8 is what I'm more worried about. I give them about a ~40% chance of showing.

I wouldn't even say super slim. I don't think the odds are in favor of seeing #8, but I wouldn't say it's that low.

Let's remember that they won¨t have a June direct. So the argument about "they tend to go play big at E3" is unfortunately not plausible here.
That doesn't matter though since I doubt it would change their planned reveals all that much, even with corona going on.

Are we all forgetting that Smash Directs are a thing? They could go that direction
Or Sakurai videos. I wouldn't be surprised if in June we got a Byleth-like reveal (except it would be *planned* to be in the context of Smash, unlike Byleth's abysmal reveal being in-context) in a Sakurai video. After fully explaining the character, he then reveals #7 and potentially even #8.

I could also see a Smash Mini Direct happening. It'd be a lot easier to make a direct for one specific game (and mostly just for reveals/talk about a character) than a big E3 direct would.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
That doesn't matter though since I doubt it would change their planned reveals all that much, even with corona going on.
We all said that we are going to get an E3 June direct earlier because "they are doing it online, so of course that won¨t be a problem" and look at what has been reported now. Hell, Daniel Ahmad on Twitter pretty much believes that this year will be a rather empty year for Nintendo due to corona.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1258318193627717633

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I just want to say there's actually a lot to this story and, not to dig up graves, but Krono was basically a fall guy for Verge and Sabi.

Screenshot_20191209-091108.png

Despite the time stamp, I was able to verify this through multiple people back in November. I note this because this was basically the epicenter of all the insider bull**** that has gone down throughout Ultimate's lifecycle . I brought this up last year and people were pissed because people were already burned out on all of this because so much of it came to define Ultimate's speculation. As I've said before, I am kind of bitter because me getting into insider stuff was largely about fact checking and cooperation, only to eventually find that me and this fanbase were hard used for e-cred and now people flat out resent me and the insider friends I've made.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I feel like the idea of Geno in smash is just so weird to me. Kind of like it was with Ridley. I wanted him so badly that it just seemed surreal to finally see him in. Like I imagined the trailer so many times in my head that it felt absolutely crazy to finally see his actual real trailer. It's such a case of too good to be true that I still can't even picture Geno in smash in my head. Finally seeing the real bona fide Geno trailer and actual gameplay and an official render is going to be insane (assuming it happens).

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I just want to say there's actually a lot to this story and, not to dig up graves, but Krono was basically a fall guy for Verge and Sabi.

View attachment 271238

Despite the time stamp, I was able to verify this through multiple people back in November. I note this because this was basically the epicenter of all the insider bull**** that has gone down throughout Ultimate's lifecycle . I brought this up last year and people were pissed because people were already burned out on all of this because so much of it came to define Ultimate's speculation. As I've said before, I am kind of bitter because me getting into insider stuff was largely about fact checking and cooperation, only to eventually find that me and this fanbase were hard used for e-cred and now people flat out resent me and the insider friends I've made.
Hmm, alright. He never really wanted to discuss specifics with me, and seemed to only express remorse over the whole thing, which made it seem like he was guilty, so that’s how I came to that conclusion.

The general consensus around GameFAQs was that it was Krono who “betrayed” Vergeben somehow and leaked the list out of spite because Sora was said to be deconfirmed or something. In November 2018. That’s the story I had heard the most times.

But yeah, i’ll try to just move away from the subject, to not spread any misinformation. But to be clear, most of my unpleasant interactions with him were long, long after he had been questioned, and regarding completely different subjects. So that’s why I assumed he would be petty enough to get angry over the Sora thing. He seemed fine discussing the Vergeben stuff though, but just didn’t want to give specifics.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I feel like the idea of Geno in smash is just so weird to me. Kind of like it was with Ridley. I wanted him so badly that it just seemed surreal to finally see him in. Like I imagined the trailer so many times in my head that it felt absolutely crazy to finally see his actual real trailer. It's such a case of too good to be true that I still can't even picture Geno in smash in my head. Finally seeing the real bona fide Geno trailer and actual gameplay and an official render is going to be insane (assuming it happens).
Agreed. What was really nice about the K. Rool reveal in particular was that the moveset people had made mockups of for so long was translated pretty accurately. It'll be so nice to see stuff like an official Geno Whirl or Geno Blast.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Fighter Pass 1 was all about the impossible.

Joker was impossible because he was never on Nintendo's consoles.
Hero's multiple characters were impossible as Enix never lets the heros cross over.
Banjo was impossible because he was inactive and in Microsoft hands.
Terry was impossible because hat Ken or something, I don't know.
Byleth was impossible because people didn't think they would push FE yet again.

So let pass 2 be all about the long term fan requests.

Geno
Dixie
Isaac
Shadow
Zelda Rep
Crash
Xenoblade rep
And 23 other characters.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I do agree with other people about how Geno's situation is kind of similar to how Banjo's was.

-Papageno's has an insider friend that says Banjo's probably coming in October 2018. Internet drags Papa for months following the Grinch leak.

-Insiders connected with Microsoft hear about Steve being leakbait and Banjo likely coming in April 2019. Mostly disregarded.

-A ****-ton of people start hinting at Banjo Late May/Early June including retailers. Starts to get get treated seriously but a ton of people are still skeptical.

-A big portion of the fanbase doesn't believe Banjo is happening until he's literally revealed at E3.

If anything I think I think we're getting close to the third step with Crash while Geno's still kind of in the second phase.

Lagguino

Smash Apprentice
On a cloud with some kid to defeat the Red Ribbon
From what I can recall, 7 squares was a memo of 7 Square characters (Slime, Erdrick, Luminary, Crono, Geno, Sora and Sephiroth) that leaked a while ago, either a bit before Ultimate's release or shortly after (I think what happened was it was leaked to insiders first before Ultimate's release and then someone went ahead and leaked it to the public post Ultimate's release). I believe the list was characters that were being seriously considered for Smash, which would bode well for us, seeing as how it shows Geno was in the running. With Erdrick and Luminary bundled in with Hero, Slime being costumed, that only leaves 4 characters left. If Fatman is correct, only Geno and Sephiroth are still being heard, leaving them as the only 2 really in the running for a Square rep in FP2. I may be wrong on this, but it's what I remember hearing so idk.
Found another thread here on Smashboards that I linked back to on the list. Thanks again for the reminder since I totally forgot. Assuming it's legit, this is really good news since it knocks off 2 of the biggest competitors: Lara Croft and 2B, leaving only a super-unlikely character who may not even be competition for Geno (Sora), another dead character who also has a sword (Crono), another FF7 character (Sephiroth), and a character that will not happen in a post-Hero world (Slime).

Would you say this gives more or less weight to the leak though? Like, does it seem fake? It's just really weird to me to think SE wouldn't want to push Lara Croft or Nier (2B).

Seriously. The fact that Geno is on that list says a lot to his overall chances... assuming it's legitimate, of course.

I can't think of any other reason besides potential leakbait? That said though, every xXLeetGamingLeaker69Xx puts Geno in their fake leaks, so it's hard to be "leakbait" when he's fake-leaked more than just about any other character besides maybe Banjo-Kazooie and Dragon Quest Heroes (Erdrick and Luminary mostly) who eventually did get in anyway.

Supposedly pre-release. I added a link to another thread's post about it (it's on The List, which is in my signature), and it was posted in December, so I'm assuming it was pre-release. I really don't remember since it's been quite awhile though. That said though, I doubt they would change their minds that much unless all of a sudden they want to push hard with a Bravely Default rep, Lara Croft, or 2B.

TBH I disagree. Even with the 'rona, I'm as confident in Geno's chances that #7 will be shown off. Nearly half a year for ONE character (after already being partially shown off in March) is a really bad look. Even if they can't show gameplay, just drop a name.

I wouldn't even say super slim. I don't think the odds are in favor of seeing #8, but I wouldn't say it's that low.

Or Sakurai videos. I wouldn't be surprised if in June we got a Byleth-like reveal (except it would be *planned* to be in the context of Smash, unlike Byleth's abysmal reveal being in-context) in a Sakurai video. After fully explaining the character, he then reveals #7 and potentially even #8.

I could also see a Smash Mini Direct happening. It'd be a lot easier to make a direct for one specific game (and mostly just for reveals/talk about a character) than a big E3 direct would.

Thanks. Just trying to make sure because originally i thought geno's name would be reserved for his spirit instead.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I do agree with other people about how Geno's situation is kind of similar to how Banjo's was.

-Papageno's has an insider friend that says Banjo's probably coming in October 2018. Internet drags Papa for months following the Grinch leak.

-Insiders connected with Microsoft hear about Steve being leakbait and Banjo likely coming in April 2019. Mostly disregarded.

-A ****-ton of people start hinting at Banjo Late May/Early June including retailers. Starts to get get treated seriously but a ton of people are still skeptical.

-A big portion of the fanbase doesn't believe Banjo is happening until he's literally revealed at E3.

If anything I think I think we're getting close to the third step with Crash while Geno's still kind of in the second phase.
Let's hope the intel for Geno at least is on the mark

StarLight42

Smash Lord

I mean, it's definitely real. Real for the fact that it absolutely was shared among some of Verge/Sabi's higher up circles. As for if it was, like, REAL real? Who knows. Speaking of which, i'm still struggling to understand HOW Sabi ended up getting in frequent contact with Vergeben when the guy doesn't use anything aside from GameFAQS/reddit and rarely posts these days.

As for Nier/Lara. I don't know. All of the characters present on that list though would seem like high priority for Smash, though. I mean, there's Sora and the Dragon Quest bois, who are massive. Then we have Geno and Crono. Geno gets the gold star because he's a "never ever" like Ridley and Sakurai has spoken of him in the past, so seeing that he was in consideration for a Square Enix rep really isn't too shocking. Crono's series has died off obviously but Chrono Trigger has still left a massive mark on the industry and is a pretty iconic game for Square. And Sephiroth is one of the biggest gaming villains of all time.

So they definitely picked a respectable list of characters to decide from, among their company. And the fact that Geno is there with the "big bois", assuming this list is real, makes it seem like they are more aware of his support over the years than people think they are.

And while we all thought that Hero was a marketing ploy for Square, the interviews seem to suggest that it was actually Sakurai who was very passionate about adding Dragon Quest to Smash. Seeing Sakurai's opinion being taken with so much value despite the DLC apparently being picked by Nintendo paints a good picture of what might be in store, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Can I get some pictures of Geno in SNES advertising? I believe you, but I wanna see it for myself.
Google's not showing me any SNES adverts proper, so it's becoming very difficult to find anything as is. So it could be a while. It's also possible I misremembered something. But I'm sure I saw a set of characters on an advertising image on this thread.

Apologies.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

Man I seriously hope you're right. To get not just one, not just two, but THREE of my most wanted characters as newcomers in the same game would be an absolute dream come true. Heres hoping!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is also why my predictions are who they are because I totally admit that after I was wrong about Hero it made me re-evaluate insider info.

1. Just because info is old doesn't mean it won't eventually pan out and sometimes this can take years.

2. If a lot of people are hearing the same things, it's definitely a good sign.

3. Game developers are usually pretty straight forward when it comes to Smash and have little incentive to flat out lie about involvement.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Came across this bit of news. On the topic of the rumored Super Mario 3D ports (64, Sunshine, Galaxy), this action kind of soft-confirms said games to be coming along with Mario's 35th anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom