• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

HOLY CRAP YEAH IT'S GONE, WHY DID THEY DO THAT?!
PS: Wasn't reuploaded yet if they were planning to.
PPS: For anyone who missed it, it was reactions of influencers seeing each of the DLC reveals (they really dug deep for a decent Byleth one, lol), and also some highlights of competitive Smash. Not a vital video or anything, it was just a "well that was unexpected" kind of video, but NOW IT'S GONE SO IT'S THEORY TIME.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1245018014430289920 It's still on Twitter. I think it was intended for Twitter exclusively.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
So, pretty exciting past two days. So, going into E3 and counting stuff that's backed up by multiple people, we're potentially looking at Nintendo representing Nintendo franchises in double digits this year:

-Mario
-Paper Mario
-Luigi's Mansion
-Zelda
-Metroid
-Animal Crossing
-Pikmin
-ARMS
-Donkey Kong
-Smash
-Fire Emblem
-Miitopia/Tomodachi Life
-Pokemon

Going off my own sources, there's potentially 3 MORE that will be part of this mix. Some of my confidants already know but it's well worth the surprise if E3 really does wind up being the place Nintendo spills its guts. Also, something to keep in mind... This is only first/second party and Nintendo more or less admitted that a ton of announcements were held back because of Corona. Needless to say, there's going to be a lot to look forward to even if we only get a percentage of the Nintendo list.
If this is true, then I hope that Kirby and Kid Icarus are 2 of the 3 remaining.

Firox

Smash Master
Now introducing DLC 7: Fortnite.
(I literally know 0 characters from Fortnite except the wolf guy, because obviously)

DLC 8: Steve

DLC 9: League of Legends rep

DLC 10: Call of Duty, Shoot-a-Man rep

DLC 11: Waluigi
Not gonna lie, if they started the pass off with Fortnite, I would have boycotted the entire thing until at least one decent character was revealed.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
The leaks and speculations went from a 1 to a 100 real quick.
We went from nothing to HEY KID DO YOU LIKE MERIO ?!

Polarthief

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1245018014430289920 It's still on Twitter. I think it was intended for Twitter exclusively.
Well that's a big letdown. I wanted to have fun with that disappearing from YouTube.

The leaks and speculations went from a 1 to a 100 real quick.
We went from nothing to HEY KID DO YOU LIKE MERIO ?!
I'm expecting significantly more "leaks" with Geno and Waluigi moving forward. Speaking of which, reminder that tomorrow is April's Fools so ignore pretty much anything you see tomorrow. I'm also worried these Mario rumors were just an elaborate April Fools joke, but PM3 has been rumored for quite awhile, so even if everything else turned up to be fake, at least I have that... hopefully.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
HOLY CRAP YEAH IT'S GONE, WHY DID THEY DO THAT?!
PS: Wasn't reuploaded yet if they were planning to.
PPS: For anyone who missed it, it was reactions of influencers seeing each of the DLC reveals (they really dug deep for a decent Byleth one, lol), and also some highlights of competitive Smash. Not a vital video or anything, it was just a "well that was unexpected" kind of video, but NOW IT'S GONE SO IT'S THEORY TIME.
Did they miss blurring out something? I noticed that they blurred out a bunch of logos on t-shirts and other pieces of clothing, though I'm not sure if they forgot to do that for anything.

EDIT: though if it's still on Twitter, maybe it was just an error.

Now introducing DLC 7: Fortnite.
(I literally know 0 characters from Fortnite except the wolf guy, because obviously)

DLC 8: Steve

DLC 9: League of Legends rep

DLC 10: Call of Duty, Shoot-a-Man rep

DLC 11: Waluigi
You're missing the most obvious Fortnite rep:

Anyone who makes Isabelle or Duck Hunt lose a stock while he's on-stage immediately loses a stock of their own.

...I'm so happy that the Smash Bros. roster isn't based exclusively on what's popular or what upcoming releases a company has. If it was, we definitely wouldn't have gotten Banjo-Kazooie or Ridley (or most of Smash Ultimate's newcomers, with a few exceptions), and plenty of characters (Geno included) wouldn't even be considered. Plus, it would make speculation so boring.

EDIT: thought someone else had posted between these; my bad.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
P Phoenix Douchebag Will stuff be pushed back? Maybe a little but Japan is handling Corona surprisingly well all things considered. The release of stuff will probably be pushed back but I think the announcements themselves will still be on time because Nintendo's no stranger to announcing things years in advance just to get it out in the open. Everything right now is pointing to stuff being delayed by a couple of months at worst (knock on wood).

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

Funny thing is , I'm a pretty active member of the french :ultbanjokazooie: discord. And I'll tell you one thing , I see people almost daily complaining about how he play in Smash (too campy/wonderwing/too heavy for his archetype/I can't approach easily a zoner who throw projectiles , it's unfair). Even yesterday , i saw some screenshot of someone who lost against one of our Banjos , going on a rant on how dumb the character in a public discord , and it's kind of sad to see such collective hate for the character. Granted , all characters get hate , because since everyone has different mains , we see the game in a different perspective.

It's just that the hate for the character seem so collective , it's a bit depressing.
I main one of the worst characters in the game when it comes to getting around projectiles. So, coming from that perspective... Learn how to play around projectiles. It's difficult, sure, but manageable. And if you find it difficult, you can always play a character such as ZSS, Pikachu, or Joker who have better mobility for weaving in and out. It hurts my heart to see my previously-most-wanted get so much hate. Their projectiles are far from the best, and Wonderwing has perhaps too many limitations to it, if anything.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Glad to see Jirard’s in the thumbnail and the video. I wonder how he’ll react if Geno gets revealed, since he’s said before that he is a big SMRPG fan!

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
It’s now a race for this person to find info and post it online before the Nintenjas find them and actually murder them.

Clock is ticking...
Hopefully they leak stuff to us fast... but not too fast, considering that tomorrow is a certain holiday...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I doubt Smash characters. Sakurai himself keeps a lot of that under lock and key it's only shared on a need to know basis, a big reason why first party characters are rarely leaked. Leaks typically happen because a third party ****s up, not Nintendo itself.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I doubt Smash characters. Sakurai himself keeps a lot of that under lock and key it's only shared on a need to know basis, a big reason why first party characters are rarely leaked. Leaks typically happen because a third party ****s up, not Nintendo itself.
Even with Geno's connections to Nintendo's flagship series, you'd be more likely to hear of this kind of news if Square was hacked. There's a small possibility it could turn out to be true and there is a Smash leak or two, but I'm not overly enthusiastic

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It’s now a race for this person to find info and post it online before the Nintenjas find them and actually murder them.

Clock is ticking...
Then someone better snip to copy what is said, save it to show the rest of us, and hope no one gets pounced by the Ninteninjas as well.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Tomorrow's gonna be nuts with the amount of posts claiming they have insider info lol

Unrelated aside: I know that Nintendo's a bit tone deaf on what they think the fans want, but I can't imagine them just randomly holding back the Geno Mii costume without SOMETHING. Square Enix has to be coming in some capacity, I'd be surprised if he doesn't AT LEAST get the Mii costume upgrade treatment (and even that's pessimistic since I can't even really think of who another Square rep would be). They gave him a splash screen in Smash 4, they know people want him. No matter what "leaks" come out tomorrow just keep your heads held high until the game officially finishes out.

D

Deleted member

Ho-boy

someone’s about to get sued into the ground.

All this stuff is interesting.

But geez why do this?

Nintendo all the best with this.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Tomorrow's gonna be nuts with the amount of posts claiming they have insider info lol

Unrelated aside: I know that Nintendo's a bit tone deaf on what they think the fans want, but I can't imagine them just randomly holding back the Geno Mii costume without SOMETHING. Square Enix has to be coming in some capacity, I'd be surprised if he doesn't AT LEAST get the Mii costume upgrade treatment (and even that's pessimistic since I can't even really think of who another Square rep would be). They gave him a splash screen in Smash 4, they know people want him. No matter what "leaks" come out tomorrow just keep your heads held high until the game officially finishes out.
Wait, tomorrow? If this is for real, why would they post this stuff on April Fool's day?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wait, tomorrow? If this is for real, why would they post this stuff on April Fool's day?
Keep in mind Japan is also April 1st right now, so many leaks coming today could be fake as well.

The only thing I'm doubting is the music leaks(them being fake, I mean), since those aren't as simple as pictures/mods. That requires actual composition to get right. So datamines are very much possible if not likely in some cases.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Better be ready for all the leaks for the Two Months leading to the ARMS reveal in June.

Against all the leaks that Internet can conjure.
All the Wickedness that Users can produce.
We will send unto them.......only you.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Better be ready for all the leaks for the Two Months leading to the ARMS reveal in June.

Against all the leaks that Internet can conjure.
All the Wickedness that Users can produce.
We will send unto them.......only you.
I get that you're going with that quote because you have a Doom avatar, but it's going to be really confusing tomorrow when your avatar's changed to Knack, Ludwig von Beethoven, Evil Cole from Playstation All Stars, or whatever the admins have planned for the new theme of the site.

Firox

Smash Master
Translation? I don't speak weeaboo.
If by "weeaboo" you mean Japanese, sure! (I was hoping people would get a kick out of dropping it into Google translate)

"Naoto-Kun! Are you crazy?! Stop screwing with Youtube!"

Dukefire

Smash Master
I get that you're going with that quote because you have a Doom avatar, but it's going to be really confusing tomorrow when your avatar's changed to Knack, Ludwig von Beethoven, Evil Cole from Playstation All Stars, or whatever the admins have planned for the new theme of the site.
Oh yeah.......April Fools day.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Guys, huge news! My dad's boyfriend's stepsister's cousin Bob Von Arugula the fifth just sent me this image revealing the next four fighters!

Character 1 is Min Min

Character 2 is Geno. His gimmick is that his neutral B causes Goombas to rain down. 1 in 20 Goombas wears a Geno hat.

Character 3 is Waluigi. His gimmick is that his neutral B summons small Piranha Plants in random locations. Sometimes they will do nothing, other times they will bite. Since his neutral B is RNG-based, you would expect his down B to also be RNG-based. But it's not. Unlike Peach, Waluigi always plucks a Bob-Omb when using down B.

Character 4 is Lickitung. Its gimmick is that its tongue homes in on you. No matter where you are. You could be on the opposite end of Great Cave Offensive and the tongue will still find you. When no one is playing as Lickitung, there is a 10% chance that the tongue will lick you anyway. Out of nowhere. You cannot escape it.

Behold, your next four fighters, in a clearly legit leak because it contains a Ken thumbs up:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Guys, huge news! My dad's boyfriend's stepsister's cousin Bob Von Arugula the fifth just sent me this image revealing the next four fighters!

Character 1 is Min Min

Character 2 is Geno. His gimmick is that his neutral B causes Goombas to rain down. 1 in 20 Goombas wears a Geno hat.

Character 3 is Waluigi. His gimmick is that his neutral B summons small Piranha Plants in random locations. Sometimes they will do nothing, other times they will bite. Since his neutral B is RNG-based, you would expect his down B to also be RNG-based. But it's not. Unlike Peach, Waluigi always plucks a Bob-Omb when using down B.

Character 4 is Lickitung. Its gimmick is that its tongue homes in on you. No matter where you are. You could be on the opposite end of Great Cave Offensive and the tongue will still find you. When no one is playing as Lickitung, there is a 10% chance that the tongue will lick you anyway. Out of nowhere. You cannot escape it.

Behold, your next four fighters, in a clearly legit leak because it contains a Ken thumbs up:

40/10 just bought four copies of ultimate and fp2 for each

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Honestly licki

Character 1 is Min Min

Honestly Lickitung could be an awesome normal type rep

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm not sure how my point of promotional characters is all over the place. The jist is that Nintendo has selected characters that are completely out of the Nintendo brand and aren't used to promote anything from them. Meaning that yes they are willing to add in characters that don't hold a promotional value. If your main argument is that Nintendo would want a more general Mario character to promote the Mario brand, then it's an argument that doesn't match up with the DLC picks so far because a healthy amount of the picks go against the idea of Nintendo specifically promoting their own games

Also, I'm not sure why Nintendo needs to include a more general character. Mario is a not a sinking franchise. Slap anything with the Mario brand it is guaranteed to sell. Nintendo doesn't need to promote Mario, the name promotes itself. Geno would sell just fine even if he isn't a well known character amoung the general public.

And yeah, he's a side character, he's not the face of many games. But does that really matter when there's already like 10+ Mario characters most of whom are well known? Like we aren't arguing for Geno to get in before Mario, or Luigi, or Peach or Bowser. Literally most of the main Mario cast is already in. If any franchise can add a more niche character, it's easily Mario by a long shot

I'm also not sure why all of a sudden Nintendo cares about specifically satisfying the general audience. Was Joker known by the general public? Was Terry? How about Banjo? When Nintendo negotiated a Microsoft rep, they didn't go for Steve, who comes from a game that literally everyone knows. They instead approved of a dead character just because fans wanted it. They went through the effort of negotiating a western character from a direct competitor and they got a heavily fan requested one over a character that would've been more recognizable with the general public. Nintendo doesn't care about specifically catering to the general public and if they did, the roster would look wildly different
I guess to start, your point on promotion is all over the place because you are saying Nintendo doesn't do promotion but they also do promotion. All I care is they have done it and can do it again. If ARMS and Byleth are "promotion" then we can say Nintendo can do it again. That's all that needs to be said on that.

Now, on the meat of the post. I think the issue is that you're a bit lost with what I'm trying to convey, so let me start with a summary. From rumors, Nintendo was/is planning to have a big event for the 35th Anniversary. They were planning to have a physical event which they haven't done since the Switch was unveiled and they haven't had a press conference at E3 since 2012. Clearly this was a big deal. So, it's not unreasonable to think Nintendo would include Smash in this. They've done it with other DLC characters and they did something similar for Smash 4. In short, Nintendo may add a character that is to promote Mario's 35th Anniversary. Now, hopefully we are on the same page here.

This is why they want someone recognizable. They want someone who can be put with a lot of other Mario content without being odd. Could they have a Mario theme spirit board. You'd want someone who is general enough that they appear in a lot of Mario titles. This is why you'd probably want someone from the general cast. Waluigi would work. He's in a lot of the Mario spin-off games. Toad, Toadette or Captain Toad could work too. They're in a lot of games too and Captain Toad has his own game. Geno wouldn't work because he could only be centered around that one game (also Nintendo doesn't own him so there's that too). Basically, Geno doesn't scream "35th Anniversary".

You mentioned that Mario already has a lot of recognizable characters in Smash. This is true. On the other hand, why does that justify adding someone that is obscure. Why shouldn't Nintendo want to add recognizable characters. You mention that Nintendo "doesn't appeal to a general audience." Smash has included tons of recognizable characters so this point is a bit nonsensical. This is why we have Inkling, Isabelle and why each game gets a new Pokemon. Nintendo clearly cares about adding characters people know. Nintendo doesn't add completely random characters; even the more niche characters are prominent enough that people will recognize them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom